The Omen Star: The Pit (Ch. 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pit:
Room #7

Valerin smiled at Malxus' words, and gave an amused reply. "I look forward to it, maybe when times are more dire for the world you will see the wisdom of such action," says Valerin as he looks down towards his chest. "That... or one day this magic will fail."

Blackie upon seeing the return of the others shakes his head a bit. "Assuming we make it out, we might be able to come back for the dwarf as well, though I wonder what she was thrown down here for," says Blackie before motioning to the two unexplored doors. "So are we in the mood for big doors? Or small doors? Figure we've a 50:50 chance of finding the way out currently since Mr. Dark Watch here doesn't seem to want to share. Thoughts?"

Blackie turns between the people ending on Anduryn who just shrugs content to let others make the decision.

The Pit:
Room #8 (Small door)

After indicating the small door Blackie and the group walk over to the door and open it. It opens into a small room about fifteen by fifteen before tons of caved in rubble has blocked off the progress of this direction. The room was probably much bigger at one time before the cave in, and there is a partially covered door off to the left half buried in the rubble but with a little digging you might be able to get it open.

"Well do we dig or try door number two?" asked Blackie as he looked over to the door that was half buried. After the initial look into the room and the lack of a threat the group decides to look through the other double door at the far end of Valerin's room.

The Pit:
Room #10 (Statue Room)

Initially deciding to peek into the room statues are seen scattered among the room. Bravely Malxus pushes further into the room opening it up for everyone to see. The statues in the room are in an assortment of battle poses, many with horror sprayed across their face or scrunched up in pain. Some of the statues seem to be partially crumbled. In some parts of the room there is thick dust yet most of the statues seem not to have dust on them. There is no door leaving this room instead there is a hallway leading further in. The eerie light of the ice daggers, and Malxus' fire sword seem to dance off the statues. Blackie mentions something about the statues 'ruffling his feathers'.

Last edited:
Glancing around, Donovan let his eyes get used to the darkness so he could see a bit better. Looking at the floor, he could see trails in the dust that indicated that something had been coming and going from further in.
"I don't think we're alone." Donovan whispered, keeping his daggers up and keeping an eye out.

The Pit:
Room #9 (Small door)

Having decided to back track the group heads back to the small side room, and Anduryn starts to dig using his immense endurance to clear the space to be able to at least open the door in about thirty minutes. Upon opening the door some of the rubble spills into the other room which looks to be some sort of barracks. Three figures hanging from racks on the walls suddenly unravel wings and fly towards the group! The batlike wings completely at odds with the human faces that seem to shriek in horror, a sound so terrible that you wish you could unhear the cries.

Jumping into action Donovan snakes in with his ice daggers scoring a hit on one before slipping back out past Anduryn. The creatures go to chase him but Anduryn slices straight down splitting the creature in half. As he is about to come up a bolt of condensed wind flies out and booms upon impact with one of the creatures making them flutter in the air for a moment regaining their bearings. Umi takes the opertunity to run in and cast a spell of burning fire straight up at them. They cackle seemingly to hardly feel it and as Umi goes to retreat he ducks the first swoop but the second one attaches for amoment biting deep into Umi's neck, before it resumes flying. Malxus activates his ability of retalitation and the creature suddenly looks uncomfortable, and begins to scream as it is consumed by divine light. Blackie having waited for the right moment for a clear throw tosses two daggers through the door way and hits the creature twice, his daggers flying by and drawing black Ichor from the creature. It hisses angrily as it notices it is the last one left and dive bombs towards Anduryn.

Anduryn puts up a hand too late as the bat-like wraps around his head in an embrace so close that only lovers should share that proximity. He grabs it pulling it off after a moment and is coughing. It laughs as Malxus tries to strike it but consistently remains just out of reach whenever Malxus tries to swing. Angry by the violation Anduryn looks up and with a straight thrust of the greatsword impales the creature. It begins to shrivel and die on his blade as if rapidly decaying.

"You feeling alright Anduryn? Got kind of up close and personal with it," says Blackie making a joke of it, but a hint of uncertainty remains in his voice. Anduryn spits on the ground. "Yeah, I think I'm fine. Though I won't get the taste out of my mouth for awhile." Blackie's eyes turn down to Umi on the floor. "Anyone have anything to deal with a bite like that...?" asked Blackie as he kneeled down pulling Umi's shoulder over to inspect the bite. "He doesn't look so good... I'd say some sort of Poison is killing him..."

The room inside has old looking sets of chain shirt, a few wooden shields, and a few left over shortswords. On the right wall is a brown wooden door.

Last edited:
Malxus roars in frustration, swinging wildly at the flying creature as it laughed at him. He lets his fiery longsword evaporate after Anduryn slays it, and stalks off to the next door, muttering to himself about the pit and his lack of proper equipment. But then he sees the next room and the weapons and armor contained within. Nothing to fancy, but it would do. He considers what to take when the word "killing" sticks in his ear.

"Hmm? Oh right." He'd forgotten watching the elf drop once the creature had latched onto it with its festering maw. "I'll take care of that."

He kneels before the elf, rubs his hands together and places them on Umi's chest, thinking of the warmth he felt when Sarenrae (or was it Phoenix, now?) brought his back from the brink of death, and trying to emulate that.

"Come on, mage. No time to quit now. On your feet."

Umi groans as Malxus helps him back to his feet after healing him a bit, and Umi gives him a grateful smile. "Thanks Malxus, but I really think we should take a minute to rest up a bit, I don't think I can continue on right now. Hopefully a few of you feel the same and I'm not just being a wimp." Umi gives a nervous chuckled, settling back down to sit leaning up against the wall as they rested. He remained mostly conscious the entire time, only occasionally dozing off while his body slowly recovered

Seeing how beat up Umi was, Donovan was a little worried about the nervous chuckle. "A rest would be a good idea, we've been on your feet since we got 'ere." Donovan said, keeping his daggers out for the moment, looking over the blades and seeing how the ice refracted through them. Turning to Blackie, Donovan asked, "So, how many people came through 'ere since you got thrown down by Paladin Ironfoot and we came through?"

The Pit:

Opening the door from the armory leads to a room that is twenty by twenty, however it seems to lack a floor, instead falling into what looks like an endless drop. Malxus throws in a sword and it is a good few moments before the clattering sound is heard. Spriggy who had knelt down to listen notices hand holes in the side of the walls leading down. "Looks like we can climb down here. Someone made hand holds," says Spriggy as he points out the sides of the wall. "I'll go down first to make sure it's safe. I'll whistle at the bottom to let you know," says Anduryn looking down the hole. As he begins he descent he soon disappears into the shadows from view.

Blackie after a moment turns to Donovan and answers the question leveled at him. "As far as I know just you, the group I was sent down with had seven people, some died to the traps of the first room, and you know what happened to the guy where we initially fell. The woman dwarf didn't trust me after I managed to fend off one more person trying to collect, thought I was trying to take them out one by one. Last one besides us died opening that door to those... cannibals," says Blackie shrugging as he looks down hearing the whistle from Anduryn. "Guess that means we go down, though I don't envy the thought of being deeper underground..."

After a little while everyone files down and looking at the path forward it continues on a slight decline. You travel for what seems like hours. Each of you at one point or another begin to wonder if this tunnel seems to have an end at all. Anduryn occasionally scratches at his head, and one time pulls a portion of his hair out. Donovan has a brief conversation asking if he his feeling OK to which he nods in affirmation though seems a bit bothered by this. Malxus deciding it's better safe than sorry convinced Anduryn to accept a cure from his divine abilities, that should cure any poison or disease that might be affecting him. Malxus puts a hand to Anduyrn's chest and slowly a bright energy flows from Malxus straight into Anduryn who testing his muscles just shrugs unsure of the exact effect of the lightshow.

After awhile you come to an opening, where there is a faint blue glow emanating from ahead. As the group approaches the opening voices echoing from deeper in can be heard, and the first signs of what the blue light is begin to emerge as you see a standing torch burning a blue flame at where the path levels out as it opens up into some sort of chamber.

Last edited:
Malxus follows the others down the path, impatient for a change of scenery. Being out if this godforsaken pit would be even better. But feeling armor wrapped around his skin and a shield in his hand made him a little more comfortable. Silver pieces jingle in the chest under his free arm. He begins planning what he would do when he got out when he hears Donovan ask Anduryn if he's ok.

Malxus walks over an examines the burly barbarian. He didn't look well, but Malxus had no clue what was wrong with him. "Hold still ya big oaf. I'll see what I can do."

Once again he thought of the burned hands of the lady filling him with warmth, healing him, and did the same to Anduryn.

The Pit:
End of Dark Tunnel

Anduryn shrugs in response to Malxus. "Still feel fine, not sure if that did anything but we should keep moving. It won't be long before we are all starting to get hungry," says Anduryn as he rolls his muscles just to check if anything happened from Maxlus' ability. "Feel just about the same, but I'll feel better once we get out of here I'm sure. So what do we do about the voices up ahead...?"

Last edited:
Hearing the voices up ahead, Donovan whispered to the group, "Give me a sec, I'll 'ave a look what is ahead."

Moving from shadow to shadow, Donovan kept his movements slow. Looking towards the source of the voices, he studied them for a bit. Memorising what details he could, Donovan was more careful going back than he had been going from the group. Managing to get behind them, Donovan whispered, "So there's three people with daggers, one of whom also 'as two shortswords."

The Pit:
End of Dark Tunnel

After a brief discussion Malxus tries to creep forward, but unforunately he slips on a loose rock and tries to catch himself on the only thing within grabbing distance, the standing torch totem. The noise instantly gets the attention of some of the figures that had been talking in a circle on some of the wooden boxes. The taller one draws two shortswords pointing over at Malxus and barks something in a language he doesn't understand. More movement is heard from a few tents further in the room, and another tall figure exits the tent surveying the scene before them. Four of the smaller figures accompanied by the taller figure are headed straight for Maxlus.

The Pit
Dark Tunnel

Spriggy is first and curses one of the small creatures with a hex before blasting him with Eldritch energy. It collides solidly with the creature almost sending him tumbling onto his butt. The dark clothed figure sprints forward before the rest of his companions and manages to reach Malxus and with a double thrust forward towards his face, seems to hope to end this quickly, but Malxus side steps and brings his flame blade to deflect the blows just enough that it only cuts a thin line of blood across his face. The retaliation comes almost instantly as a wall of flames springs up lashing out at the figure who deftly backs up. While quick the figure wasn’t quick enough, and as he pats the flaming cloth on his arm he hisses in elven at Malxus. “You’ll pay for that.”

Before he can move back in for another strike Anduryn roars and slashes with his dark greatsword. The creature is forced back another step but the extended reach of Anduryn’s blade catches him. Umi prepares a firespell waiting to see if the creature is still hostile as he weakly tries to calm both sides of the fight. Seeing the creature take a threatening step forward to reclose the distance Umi throws a ball of fire hitting the creatures shoulder momentarily distracting it enough for Blackie to slip by it’s side narrowly missing his first blow but sinks the second dagger into the creatures throat dropping him. As Blackie pulls out the dagger the creature bursts into a white blast hitting Malxus, Blackie, and Anduyrn unexpectedly. “What the hell was that…?” asks Blackie blinking his eyes wearily.

The shorter creatures finally having gotten their wits about them charge. Malxus and Blackie hold them off fine, but Anduryn who’s blood is boiling with his inner strength is cut many times by the creature’s small blades. Malxus tries to finish off the weakened small creature in front of him but seems to have trouble making his blade find purchase. The creature is deftly aware of what such a blow would mean and keeps him guessing at where he will be next. This however gives Donovan the perfect chance to sneak up with an ice dagger and put it squarely in the creature’s forehead. The small creatures white eyes show shocked surprise as it slowly crystalizes. It’s head then shatters in a brilliant burst of light much like the larger one had done, except it seemed to have less energy in the burst.

Anduryn continues to struggle but a combination of the crossbowman in the back and the two on him ends up on the ground first from the crossbow bolt. After the bolt is fired the creature is tackled from behind as someone comes flying out of the tent wrestling him to the ground. Anduryn is then stabbed through the neck by one of the smaller figures. His eyes buldge with surprise and he reaches his hand towards his chest pulling out the orb and holding it away as if to keep it away before his hand falls to the ground the orb rolling off towards the newcomer and the larger of these dark cloaked figures. Blackie gives out a high pitched scream that must represent some sort of curse as he tears his eyes away from Anduryn. There’s murder in the dark bird’s eyes as he thrusts a feint forward and then stabs the creature through the eyes before another blast of light goes off. Using this a creature tries to slip by Malxus who wounds in him in the side to go after Spriggy, a much smaller target. Spriggy however wasn’t having it, he wouldn’t die here and this little man was going to pay. Another black of eldritch energy flows forth from him as he back steps blasting the creature into nothing in a white flash.

Meanwhile Donovan has moved up to the struggling figures after having downed one of the front line earlier, he sinks his dagger in twice nearly freezing the creatures chest with both stabs. The creature seems about to go for a dagger to retaliate either on Donovan or the newcomer until he notices the orb rolling his way. Recognition in his eyes he reaches out and grabs the orb drawing it into himself. He rapidly begins to shriek as he slowly leaks black energy out, as his body seems to fold in on itself before it explodes in a burst of light.

Panting Blackie looks through the darkness for more enemies and remains in a defensive position waiting for more attacks. “Is that all of you!??!” he shouts into the darkness before he moves to Anduryn kneeling down.

Likt scrambles back from their spot on the floor, pressing themself against the wall. They had changed back to their normal form, pale skin and wide, skittish, colorless eyes as they glanced around the room.

Last edited:
Umi’s poor, whiney attempt at maintaining peace was quickly forgotten as all hell broke loose in the corridor. Seeing Anduryn pierced relentlessly by a multitude of attacks, Umi continued to back up as he conjured balls of fire, throwing them at the enemy with varied success. Once they finally fell, Umi rushed forward to Anduryn’s side, checking for a pulse...nothing. It appeared that Anduryn was dead...the hulking, muscular Anduryn fell, and the elf began to feel the panic rise in his throat. He was going to die down here, he was sure of it.

Eyes wide, Umi struggled to stuff the panic back down inside him as he approached Donovan and the new creature. Keeping his distance and his eyes averted, he stammered “Who...who are you?”

Likt shifted, sending a nervous look at the other figure for a second. "M-me? I'm Likt." They mumble softly, head down so as to not be looking at the elf.

Blackie sighed closing Anduryn's eyes and mutters something under his breath before turning to look around. "A Shifter, rumors were that there was one thrown down here not to long ago, though there are always rumors of shifters so that doesn't surprise me," says Blackie walking over and crossing his feathered arms. "What are you down here for? And do you know if this is the way out?"

Last edited:
Likt sneaks a nervous look up at Blackie and shakes their head. "No, dont know, but dont think. Went deeper, was down more, further in feels less out."

"I see..." says Blackie looking to the others for what they think. He walks over to the orb and squats down looking at the thing curiously but not touching the object. "I'm going to go out on a tree branch here and say this thing is how you guys found the weapons you can seemly summon out of thin air..."

Blackie cautiously taps the orb with the tip of his dagger before pulling it away. "Any idea why it seemed to fry that guy.... in fact anyone know why they exploded and nearly blinded us?" asks Blackie turning from his squatted position to see if anyone had any ideas.

Donovan looked towards the orb that Blackie was looking at. "No idea. Anduryn said it was a spirit named Caedos who offered him Entropy." Donovan shrugged, "Though 'aving seen what it did, I wonder why it came out of Anduryn." Donovan wondered, if he died would his orb come out the same way.

Turning his attention to Likt, Donovan crouched down, "It's alright." Donovan said, dismissing the daggers for the moment and hoping Gliss would understand Donovan didn't want to threaten the scared stranger by holding daggers in his hands. "Those people, friends of yours?"

Likt snorts harshly "not friends, no, no friends, captors, bad men". He shifts to show the rope burns on his wrists from where he had struggled out of the bonds. "very bad "

Malxus catches his breath. He expected worse monstrosities further down in the dark, not actual people. He had started that fight poorly, and ended it much the same way, reeling and slashing wildly. He swore to himself he'd be more prepared next time. Straightening, he turned to the newest arrival, and found that he looked much different.

"Umi, how's our big man?" But the wizard's expression is answer enough. Too bad, he wasn't very talkative, but he was handy in a fight. Malxus whispered a quiet prayer for him, turning away so the others wouldn't see him do it.

As Blackie speaks of a "shifter," it dawns on Malxus. A changeling. He'd known more than a few in his day. They'd made excellent spies, and he'd envied their ability to change their appearance immensely, but they were hard fellows to trust. But in his new life, trust was the name of the game. It paid off more often than not, much to his surprise.

"Hello, Likt. Name's Malxus. Welcome to the fun. I don't suppose you know how to get the hell out of here?"

As Malxus watches Blackie go over and tap the orb with his dagger, he begins to wonder. Could one person contain two of the orbs at once? Serving two masters at once felt like more than enough, but if there was one thing Malxus liked, it was having options.

"No, the power contained within would not serve you as the power of flame now does through you. It is curious that I cannot seem to recall as to why... nor the extent of our functions," says a strong commanding voice in Malxus' head. Igneos' voice soon comes again. "Know that you did well for your first encounter with the Dark Ones. Soon more like them will come to the surface, we must be ready for their plans whatever they are."
_________________________________________________________________________________________

A cold voice slithers through Donovan's mind. "We would never accept the touch of one of the Dark Ones. This One especially would not suffer the indignity much as this One's brother, Caedos," comes the voice almost as if spoken next to Donovan's ear. Her voice is cool and full of contempt at the subject. "Having seen you're blades in action this One is confident she has chosen wisely." There is a hint of approval in her voice at this.
__________________________________________________________________________________

"It is right. I can feel the stone," comes a gravely voice to Umi. "This tunnel goes much further down, and with your limited ability to tap into my power, I doubt even your magic would keep you safe much further, and that my little friend would make for one of my shortest bondings."

Last edited:
Having heard Gliss' voice in his ear, though he wasn't sure how, it did make him feel at ease. "I don't know 'ow to explain this," started Donovan, "But Gliss just said they'd never accept the touch of one of the Dark Ones. Sounds like Caedos didn't like being shoved where 'e didn't belong and retaliated."
To Likt, Donovan said, "'eh, then it's a good thing we came across you. If you want, you can come with us?" Donovan offered, hoping that was alright with the rest of the group.
With a glance to the orb, Donovan felt as if if Likt was going to come with them, then he should have it. But having heard what Gliss said, Donovan didn't think it was as simple as just Likt touching the orb, especially after they'd watch it destroy someone.
"Erm, Gliss, if you can 'ear this, and if Likt were willing, would Caedos - bond with 'im?" Donovan asked aloud, unsure how the communication worked. He'd heard Gliss' voice in his mind, but he didn't know if the link was one way or not.

"That is between him and Caedos. This One does not dabble in the affairs of her siblings," says Gliss her words running over his mind like a cold stream, almost giving the sensation of a light brain freeze. "You understood what was required, and accepted. He must do the same, or any other you would attempt to bond with Caedos. As much as this One despises Caedos' methods we will need his help in days to come. Whatever your decision do not leave him behind."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread