The Omen Star: The Pit (Ch. 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zilfer

Mistwalker
Prologue:

The city of Highwall has always leaned on tradition in the affairs of state. The capital of the nation it is at the center of much of the trade of the land, and many of the nobles have a residence within the city. The walls over one hundred feet tall give the city a commanding presence to those who first encounter it, and an intimidating sight for those who would think to conquer it.

For hundred of years, many have come to study the city as it is one of the only locations that seems to have civilizations from hundreds possibly thousands of years ago, so many in fact that it has perplexed a large number of scholars as to the cities true purpose. The city’s walls have built so high some have thought that it was to fight off giants, or other large creatures. Other’s believe it was built as a testament to a long dead royal power and the genius of their builders.

That is not to say the city is without its problems. The feylight, a mist of blue that scholars have been searching for a way to defeat for the last hundred years, as the army fights a war against those claimed by the feylight. The royal family has paid a mercenary army called the Silverblades to fend off the wildlings off to the north just beyond the mountains that hold them beyond the lands. The Silverblades also hunt any of them that get through the mountains in the mainland so their animal corruption does not spread to the population.

Trade with the east remains uneasy as the thought of undead actually maintaining positions amongst the hierarchy of a civilization does not entirely sit well with the Kingdom of Highwall. Despite this the undead, Vampires, Dhampirs, and other intelligent undead are given free passage through Highwall as long as they do not break the law, and continue to trade in good faith. The Kingdom of Gloomfalls maintains its alliance with Highwall despite the culture clash.

The southern Kingdom of Undermount remains a steady alliance with Highwall providing much of its smithing material and a lot of valuable smiths, engineers, and the like. Recently the prices of metal have been on the rise with the Kingdom asking for more money as time goes on, which has begun to put a strain on a bit of the metal side of the economy.

The state of the world however is about to shift, with the sentencing of a small group of people who are to be thrown into what is known as ‘The Pit.’ A tradition in Highwall reserved for those who have been sentenced to death. It is seen as a way of finalizing whether someone was guilty or not for if they survive they must be protected by the gods. Recent years it has come under fire as an old outdated tradition and unfortunately for this group of people they are the ‘lucky’ last batch. The Law did not pass in time for them to be saved from whatever fate finds them in this unknowable pit.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Cracked Lands
100 miles from Highwall
997 AC (After Calamity)

Wagon's rolled along the seldom used road, with guards flanking the wagon on horseback. None of them offering up much conversation on the trip they were undertaking. It was their last run of criminals to send off to the pits. They never looked at the prisoners lest they see the poor state that prisoners were in. All of them were cuffed and chained together by their hands and feet. They were headed to their deaths, and the guards didn't want the last thing they saw of these people to be stained into their mind. People about to be lost to the blackness of the pit below. Most of them weren't even sure if they survived the fall downwards since the bottom didn't seem to be visible even with the sun high in the sky.

The wagons finally came to a stop and the guards shuffled the prisoners in their line to the edge of the pit. Down below them, obscured in darkness was most likely their long awaited deaths. An armored figure got off his horse stepping down firmly onto the dusty plain. Their ride here had kicked up dust, and the man stepped before them holding himself up straight with the bearing of a warrior. His face was grim with a scar across the midsection of his face. Upon his plate he had emblazoned the symbol of the Dawnflower the main religion of Highwall. Sarenrae the goddess of fire and healing but most of all… rebirth. He was here to see that they were read their rights before being tossed through the gauntlet known to the common people as the pits. He spoke with a deep voice cutting through the silence.

"Each of you has been found guilty of one crime or another and sentenced to the Pits to atone for your sentence. It is a time honored tradition that men and women be given the chance to change their ways in a trial watched by the gods. This is no easy trial for you will be figuratively put to the flame to burn away your transgressions in the hope that you should come out the other side changed men and women. Some of you will give up, others will try, and many of you will die. Let it be known that by King Alistairs decree and the will of the Dawnflower your sins and crimes will be exonerated of any past transgressions... should you survive. I hope you use this chance to reforge your life and keep that flame you found there in the pits burning to craft your way to something greater than you have achieved with your lives thus far."

The knight of the Dawnflower then pulled his sword in front of himself saving a brief prayer as the guards forced everyone to the edge. No one seemed eager to take that first plunge. No one had survived the pits in twenty years. He had been the last one to do so, and it was in there that he had found faith. It was what he believed had allowed him to survive the pit. He secretly hoped that he would not be the last. He walked up to one of the prisoners at the end of the line as they started to say something but he gave them a swift kick sending them down into the darkness, and with all the prisoner's attached one by one they were pulled in after another into the darkness below.

Dawnflower watch over them... he thought before turning away. He looked to the sky and saw a new star had appeared. There was something sinister about that bright glowing star…

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Pit
1st Chamber (chamber of bones)
Time: Unknown

To All: Blackness had taken you for a time after the hard initial fall. When you all wake up your bones feel sore from a combination of the fall, and the cold surrounding stone that encloses you on all sides. This room is full of bones with small rats scurrying around some crawling over you to nibble on bones, a few of the braver rats sniffing you and even trying to take a nibble out of the new flesh that had arrived down here. It looks from the sight of bones plenty of men and women had not made it out of this very room. There is a horrible smell coming from the far end of his forty foot circular room. A dead body newer than most with a large amount of rats feasting the body. It looks to have been already thoroughly eaten already.

The room has a two round exits to the north and south. The north exit however is blocked off seemingly from a sort of collapse, but the other to the south leads away into darkness, the only light illuminating the cave is the faint starlight from above. It looks like you had fallen from a height that would have killed most men. The only sound you hear besides silence is the movement of others waking. You feel the weight of cuffs still chained to you, and the slight tugs it creates as others along it move. You are not the only one who had survived it seems...

Sucking down air as he came around, Donovan felt his head ringing as he looked upward. Shifting into a sitting position, Donovan felt a little dazed as he looked around. Taking in the rats crawling over the bodies, Donovan could feel bile rising up his throat at the sight. He forced himself to keep it down.

‘Last thing I need is to be known as the guy that ralphed all over the floor just because he saw a rat.’ Donovan thought to himself as he looked around again, paying more attention to the structure of the room. ‘Okay, the wall is polished stone about fifteen feet up, no way we’re going to be rock climbing I don’t think, and it looks intentional.’ Glancing down, Donovan realised why he’d survived the fall. ‘Great, someone broke my fall. Thank you anonymous deceased benefactor.’ Looking around, Donovan could see a lot of the bodies were up against the walls, stacked. A the sound of a rat squeaking, Donovan turned his attention to the fresher corpse nearby. As the rats shifted around, Donovon saw the glint of metal underneath the body. ‘Are those?’ Donovan thought as he realised his eyes weren’t deceiving him, ‘Heh, looks like we caught a lucky break.’ Shuffling over to the body, Donovan helped himself to a nice new set of thieves’ tools, a grin on his face as he pulled out a tension wrench and a rake. ‘Heh, these manacles look like they should pop open easily.’

“‘ey, listen up!” Donovan called out, “Anyone in a rush to get out of their shackles? Got some lockpicks ‘ere and I ‘appen to be good with ‘em. Should ‘ave everyone free in a little while. I’m Donovan by the way.” Donovan called as he shoved the picks into the lock of his manacles. After a few minutes, with one set of manacles giving him a little trouble, Donovan had everyone free of their manacles.

Last edited:
Life could’ve been very different. That was the thought of the small gnome that was kicked into the pit and then engulfed in darkness. When he opened his eyes at the bottom of the pit his first thought was that the Raven Queen’s domain was far more disgusting than he thought it would be. Then the wave of pain came, it arched across his body spreading from both the kicked part of his back, which the man’s whole boot took up, and the side of his body he landed on.

The gnome groaned and stood up, he sighed while looking around and noticing the other bodies around him, wincing at donovan’s Voice that pierced the quiet. “Many thanks, people call me squiggy, I’ve got to say, it’s very brave of you to just unlock the manacles of people who have all been accused of horrid crimes without a second thought.”

The gnome held his hand out and focused for a second before a sword with a white blade and black feathers on the hilt with the visage of a crow manifested in his grip “I suggest we try to find our way out. Thank you for freeing my arms though, this would be really annoying to hold if you hadn’t” the gnome chuckled

Malxus climbs to his feet, stretching until his joints crack and groaning as he knuckles the sore spots in his muscles. He exhales and then looks up to the sky.

"Thanks for nothing!" he roars, seemingly to no one in particular. He thought pledging himself to a divine entity was supposed to prevent things like his untimely execution. Looking around at the corpse and bones on the floor, and the others at the bottom of the pit with him, he realizes perhaps it had. But that priest, or warrior, or whatever had had been wore the symbol of Sarenrae just as he had. He had a long way to go if he was ever going to understand her.

Malxus leans down and grabs the thickest bone he can fine, tossing it from one hand to the other. It would have to do. He mostly ignored the others until the gnome made a sword appear out of thin air. That was a neat trick.

"Name's Malxus. Hey, little guy. Got any more of those magic swords you care to share with the group?"

Umi groans as he comes to conciousness, feeling extremely sore from the whole ordeal. His elven eyes are able to spot who was speaking without much difficulty, a half elven man...but definitely not of high elven descent like himself. He gave the man a grateful nod as he released Umi from his shackles, and looks over at Squiggy and Malxus as they introduce themselves. He gave each of them a nod as well, saying “The names Umi.”

Umi raises his eyebrows, interested in the blade that the gnome procured but did not ask any questions. He wasn’t sure if he could trust any of these criminals, but at the very least Donovan had released his shackles which was very kind. When Malxus asked for a magical sword, Umi gave him a dry smile “What, you can’t summon swords at will either?” And with a quick flourish of his hand a faintly glowing longsword appeared in Umi’s grasp. Keeping a careful eye on the others, he used the dim light from his sword to inspect the area around him for something he could use for his spells, or to protect himself. He noticed there was a man being eaten by rats, and with a look of disgust he brushed them aside. The high elf examined the scraps on the ground, and noticed the man was actually wearing leather armor. Looking very pleased, he flourished his hand once more and a dagger appeared in the place of the longsword. He used it to carve off a piece of the leather, instead of donning it as one might expect. He also took a few of the chains that were lying on the ground and threw them over his shoulder.

As he went to stand up, Umi saw the scrap of paper in the dead man’s mouth, and carefully pried it from his jaws. After giving it a quick read silently to himself, he cleared his throat and read aloud “1,000 gold if you kill that damn bird. One of my men will stay behind and toss in a dagger. Wait for it, then kill him." Umi looked around at the others with an eyebrow raised “Guess some people came down here voluntarily...wonder if he ever killed the — ‘bird’ as it were.” And where that dagger might be...

Anduryn paid Donovan only half-a-mind when he came over to release the shackles. Didn't do him much good. He was stuck in this place for a murder he didn't intend to commit. Seething, he slumped against the wall and surveyed the group of misfits in The Pit. Anduryn watched others summon weapons and search for armor. 'I wonder if I can make one of those big leg bones into a spear. A club if not...'

“Truly, this place is disgusting” the gnome noted as he went to take the leather armor from the body the wizard had found. It took him a minute, he wasn’t squeamish per-say but he was nervous about disrupting this long dead body. The armor felt large on him, well, it was large on him but he could work around it. “I’m sorry, I don’t have another sword for you, however even if I did I’m not sureness I would be giving it to you. I wish I could trust you but it’s too early in this relationship” he chuckled again, he found himself funny but this was mostly coping with an almost inevitable death “if we come across more armor, one of you can have it. Finders keepers as they say” he meant it when he said he wished he could trust them. They all seemed like decent enough people but you never really know.

The gnome began walking south towards the exit, quietly observing he gestured to the other prisoners “anyone up for an adventure?”

Donovan smirked a little as he stood back, once he'd finished picking, keeping hold of the tools, "'Eh, way I see it, we're all in the same boat now." Donovan shrugged, motioning to one of the discarded shackles on the floor, "No sense keeping these things on. Nobody said we 'ad to stay shackled." Donovan sighed as he looked up again, wondering if it would be the last time he saw the sky.

"Nice to meet you Umi, too bad it couldn't be up topside." Donovan said as he lowered his gaze back to the room they were in. Seeing the drawn weapons, Donovan realised that it might be a good idea to tool up as well. Looking around, Donovan couldn't see any sign of a dagger, and felt sure that if there had been a dagger in the room he'd have seen it. "Guess whoever 'ad the dagger took off with it,"

At Squiggy's mention of adventure, Donovan grinned, "Why not? I'm down, so long as you don't mind 'aving a man convicted of stealing with you."

The Pit
2nd Chamber

Upon walking down a narrow corridor with the small amount of light produced by a make shift torch that Umi had managed to make, you enter into a room with fresher bodies at three levers, each riddled with arrows. There appears to be an exit across from where you enter but there is a stone slab that seems set in place. Each of the levers along the ground stand straight up with a length of about three feet high. The bodies are similarly dressed as you presumably people that had come before. There is words on the exit door though only those who could read elven would be able to decipher the message.

You must be willing to brave the darkness that comes after the light.

Seeing the bodies at the levers riddled with arrows, Donovan's mind immediately jumped to the obvious conclusion. 'Traps. Wonderful.' Donovan thought as he looked around. Unable to see where the arrows could have come from, Donovan couldn't find any traps, though the arrows hadn't come from nowhere.

Reading the words on the exit door for himself, Donovan smiled, 'Thank Eilistraee for my lovely elven eyes.' Donovan grinned. 'Darkness should pose no problem for me.' Glancing around the room to guess its size, Donovan guessed it was roughly thirty feet by thirty.

Squiggy stood in the room, observing the bodies he was somewhat confused as to what he was supposed to do, until he read the message in elven that was. It made sense to him, put out the torches and pull the levers. He hoped everyone else would get it. If they don’t get it then I’ll tell them after a minute or two he told himself

Umi led the way with his makeshift torch until they came to this next room. He read the elven message aloud for the group, and moved to extinguish his torch, but then realized he should use the light to look for anything else useful. Glancing around, the high elf saw someone who had the same idea as him with a makeshift torch, as well as a bunch of arrows...but no bow.

Satisfied that he had searched everything he could, he extinguished the torch and smiled as indeed his instinct was correct. He read aloud once more "The secrets within this temple are only for the boldest of heroes, and those who are not selfish in their task. No one can succeed alone." Umi then turned to the others and gave them a half smile “Guess we’re stuck together now anyways. What do you guys think about these levers?”

Donovan glanced around at the levers. He hadn't seen any traps, but the arrows had him on edge. "Don't think its a good idea to just yank on the levers, considering the dead bodies." Glancing around, Donovan remembered how they'd ended up in the pit in the first place - all chained together and one person given a shove, letting gravity do the rest.

"'ow about we wrap some of them manacles around the levers?" suggested Donovan, "That way we could pull them all at once together and not be stood right where these poor souls were when they got 'it with arrows."

Malxus tugs on the manacles with the big human barbarian and watches the door slide open, and then shut again. No arrows this time.

"All right gents. If we pull the levers at the same time we ought to be all right. Fancy magic words say to work together, so that's what we do. I'll take the one on the left."

The tiefling grabs hold the lever and prepares to pull.

Donovan shrugged, "All right, I'll take the one in the center." Donovan grabbed the lever in question and got ready to pull.

Spriggy notes the lack of arrows and felt it safe to latch onto the final lever “alright, I’ll give a count then?” He waited a moment before continuing “three...two...one...pull” he spoke as he brought the lever towards himself

The Pit
3rd Chamber

Rushing through the door before it slides shut behind you, leaving you in a long hallway. The glow of the green of the walls left behind, shut behind the door. Luckily most of you are able to see in the dark and manage to keep the party going in a forward direction. Upon proceeding forward you find a few triggered pitfall traps that taking your time are easily maneuvered over. Finally ending in a door half open you hear the sound of squeaks. Opening the door you smell a rancid aroma that soon reveals itself to be more dead bodies, with very large rats feasting upon the bodies of what seems to. Many of the rats look at your group upon entering before going back to feasting. There appears to be only one exit from this room straight again, as the rats continue to eat two bodies to the north of the room. The door ahead is made of simple stone.

Walking into the chamber ahead, Donovan was glad of the fact that his eyes could let him see sixty feet ahead of him even in pitch black. Seeing two bodies in the room, large with rats devouring them, Donovan let his curiousity get the better of him.

'Wonder what these two died of? And if they managed to snag anything that could be beneficial to us.' As he approached the nearest body Donovan heard some of the rats hiss at him and saw plenty of beady black eyeballs staring at him. 'Damn, guess these rats might try and make a meal out of me if I try and interfere with their lunch.' Donovan thought as he backed away, not keen on his life coming to a sudden and abrupt end at the paws of some large rats.

Looking around the room, Donovan noticed that the walls were pockmarked with holes. Turning in place, Donovan found the wall behind him had even more holes. 'Those holes look big enough for the rats to be coming in,' Donovan thought, 'Wonder if that was some kind of trap? Do something wrong and a pile of rats come into the room and eat you. Or if the rats came through the wall and these two were just unlucky.'

"Anyone got any ideas?" Donovan asked, trying not to show how nervous about the rats biting him he was.

"I've got an idea" the gnome spoke up and slowly approached the rats, through some light gesturing and squeaking, he discerned that the rat language is similar enough to that of field mice to get across a conversation with a few of the rats. after a few moments, one of the rats walked to the northern wall behind one of the bodies. Spriggy stood back up seeming to be a little nervous

"So..." he took a pause, letting the nerves out before continuing "The rats and I spoke, they will let us pass if we don't bother their food, they say that there is a third door in this room" he points to the spot that the rat ran to "They say bipeds no longer go down that way, when I asked what was there, they merely replied with light balls, quite ominous in my opinion"

Umi frowned as the gnome recounted his conversation with the rats. He had heard of spells that could let a person communicate with animals but he had never seen it in action. The high elf was very disappointed that he didn't have his spellbook or his notebook to make observations, but he forgot about all that when Spriggy mentioned the light balls. Umi's green eyes widened as he remembered some of the different species that fit the description of 'light balls.' "I've heard of a few creatures that have been described as light balls, although without my books in front of me their name escapes me. What I do remember, is they can be quite dangerous, so perhaps we should stick with the main exit this time? Assuming we can trust rats in the first place of course."

Light balls? Talking rats? Malxus lifted the bone "club" in his hand and tossed it from one to the other.

"Not sure what I can do against balls of light with this. Maybe your new friends can point us to some weapons, or at least some chain mail. And before we start to look like their next meal."

Malxus takes a deep breath, closes his eyes and reaches out with his senses. He could feel Sarenrae's touch, even here in the darkness. If only she hadn't dropped him down this hole in the first place. There was an aura emanating from the wall.

"There room beyond this wall is consecrated ground. An odd place to find something like that."

Last edited:
The Pit:
Secret Chamber

Upon speaking with the rats and coaxing out about a third exit to the room, the group carefully leaves the rats to their meals though a few looks do shoot their way as you pass by them closely. The wall with holes is examined by Umi who finds a seam and pushes the wall inward. It gives way to a small cramped hallway that leads to another chamber that widens out to a room about thirty by thirty. It looks plain except for ten pedestals rising up from the ground. On the flat surfaces of the pedestals are five luminescent orbs that seem to glow with an inner light. Dust covers the room thickly, but there does not appear to be any readily available adornment to this chamber. The orbs are all of different colors, comprising of a red, blue, green, dark brown, and a reflective black. They all seem to lightly pulse with their dull inner glow.

Daladon walks forward and examines the green orb along with Umi. He picks up the orb and upon doing so it begins to glow with a slightly brighter intensity. Daladon seems to stare deeply into the orb for a good minute before finally pulling the orb into his chest. It disappearing magically, displaced from physical reality it would seem. He suddenly comes back to his senses looking at you all. Looking down at his hand a green flowing crossbow forms in it for a second, before seemingly blowing apart in a sudden wind.

Last edited:
Watching someone shove an orb into their chest, Donovan instinctively winced. 'That - looks painful.' Donovan thought to himself, though at the sight of a green crossbow forming out of thin air, his curiousity and greed got the better of the half-elven man.

"Hey buddy, you okay?" Donovan asked, eyeing up the remaining orbs and wondering what would happen were he to touch one of them.

Overcome by his curiousity, Donovan approached the pedestal with the blue orb on it. Checking the pedestal itself for traps and finding none, Donovan cautiously extended his right pinky finger and poked the orb. 'Hopefully this isn't some finger trap that takes my finger off, but at least if I lose one its the least useful.' As his finger made contact, the orb rolled forward. Instinctively, Donovan reached out both his hands to catch it. As he did so, the room got chilly all of a sudden and a bright light enveloped his vision. When it dimmed, Donovan found himself standing in the middle of a blizzard, the only signs of life a temple seemingly made out of ice.

'Oh man, out of the Pit and into the Freezer.' Donovan thought as he rubbed at his arms. The prison issue cloth clothing wasn't doing much to keep the chill at bay. 'Guess that temple is the only thing nearby that'll stop me freezing to death.' Walking into the temple, Donovan saw a woman with whitish-blue skin sat on a throne made out of ice.

“A visitor. One wonders why this visitor has come. Will this one give their name for power like those before?” she asked, watching Donovan but seemingly without emotion. “Those before... curious... This One lacks knowledge she once knew...." Donovan watched the woman's attention wander for a second or two before she waved a hand in the air and turned back to him, "No matter."

'Others?' Donovan thought to himself, 'I wonder who they were.' Speaking up as clearly as he was able to, Donovan answered the woman's question. "Donovan. Donovan Val'Galenodil."

"No hesistation. This one approves of such cold Iron will," says the woman as she nods in ascent to his name. "Very well, then I, Gliss spirit of Ice accept you as my equal, Donovan Val'Galenodil. Use me in the fight against the Dark Ones, and to vanquish your enemies."

Donovan's vision flooding with bright whitish-blue light once more, the young half-elven man found himself standing in the chamber next to an empty pedestal, a pair of shiny ice blue daggers in his hands, the edges sharp and thin enough Donovan could've sworn he could see right through the edge of the blade. As he stared at them, the daggers shattered into shards of ice that seemed to melt in the air before they ever touched the floor.

"That - was an experience." Donovan remarked as he looked to the rest of the group. 'Gliss - interesting name.' Donovan thought to himself. Turning to Squiggy, Donovan asked, "'Ey, you end up in a weird temple as well?"

Spriggy felt...free and fearful. He was brought to some place where he was falling through the sky, constantly falling and he was terrified. What happened there doesn’t matter much though, he met a being of some kind of power and made a pact with it, Sylfrena. The name rang out in his head as he subconsciously grabbed the green orb and pushed it into his chest. He felt that same freedom as when he first found himself fallin, and as he came to his senses found himself holding the crossbow “That was....an adventure, how long was I in there? I didn’t finds myslef in a temple, instead I wasn’t falling through an endless sky. Perhaps these represent different things? Sylfrena said that she was a spirit of wind so it makes sense”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread