The Omen Star: The Pit (Ch. 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Likt jerks her head up, grinning slightly in her head. "yessir, I heard where they were planning to meet actually. I can take you there for a coin" she offers, sizing the tortle up.

"I'll see what I can do about some coin" the tortle reached to the side of his shell, grabbing one of many small bags tied to the side of it, , he pulled the bag down and took out a silver to give the girl before putting the bag back "This should do, I don't have much coin available right now"

Likt nods, takes the coin, shoves it into her pouch, and beckons the tortle. "this way mister" she calls softly. "c'mon, this way. I don't think it's too far."

Malxus does not take the seat.

"Yeah, he delivered the message. Of course, it wouldn't have been necessary if you hadn't kicked me into that hole in the fucking first place." The tiefling paces back and forth. "I told you I served Sarenrae. I atoned for my crimes to a higher power already. You of all people ought to understand that. She ..." Malxus trails off. He paces angrily for a few more minutes, waving off any attempts by Galahad to speak.

"All right, listen. We survived. Most of us." He glares at Galahad. "And I can bring them back and we can talk business, and forgiveness. But there was some weird shit down there. What do you know about the Companions, and Phoenix especially? Is it possible they could still be alive?"

Last edited:
Highwall
Holy District
Church of Sarenrae

Galahad waits patiently, a calm exuding from him reminding anyone that might look upon him of a pond whose surface had remained untouched. He watched the Tiefling pace around the room and seemed content to let him work out what he wanted to say. Finally after Malxus spoke once more he leaned forward and entwined his hands.

"While I sympathize with your plight, each person there had been sentenced to death. The laws of the mortal realm unfortunately do not always recognize the whims of the gods. I believe you have atoned, but the Kingdom? That was a trickier business. The Pit at least offers you a chance at redemption in the eyes of the Law, and I'm afraid the mere fact that so many of you had survived has caused discussions about whether the Pit actually can make the convicted repent for their actions. I'm advocating that it does though many will see my opinion as bias, and still more do not trust me," said Galahad unfolding his fingers and resting them on the desk.

"As for your other questions. I have an inkling of what you might have seen down there, but it would be best if I heard it from your lips,"
said Galahad before he seemed to contemplate. "The Companions as far as we know where based on real people at one point, and that is a matter of contention between most scholars of Theology. Many argue that mortal's cannot be gods, while some believe if enough power were gained it might be possible, especially if it was a group of strong individuals. I think some of the scholars forget that we have texts mentioning Sarenrae as if she traveled the mortal plane. I myself have studied a small amount of their religion, and I think I understand the question that your getting at. It's long been noticed that one of the Companions shared a resemblance to our Goddess Sarenrae. It is one of the many reasons of contention between the churches."

Sir Galahad leans back in his seat and crosses his arms gently.
"If any of the Companions are alive today I've not found anything to support this. It might be possible for a few of them, an elf or two I've heard legends of them living a very long time, though unlikely as they claim the companions existed about a thousand years ago."

Likt leads the tortle quickly through the streets, till they reach the small inn. "Here we are!" She settles at the bar, keeping an eye around for the others

Malxus remembers Valerin, pinned by the magic crystal, threatening his revenge. He'd discuss that when he brought the others back. Surely they'd want answers about that as well. He feels a sudden, surprising attachment to the others, no doubt a consequence of their shared trauma in that hole. It had been a long time since he'd had a friend, if that's what they are.

He turns back to the knight, irritated by his calm. Malxus would have been happier if he picked up a sword and given him something to hit. He weighs telling him more about what had happened to him, but the need for answers is too great.

"So let's say a lady with burned hands appeared and healed my wounds, told me to serve Sarenrae. And then, down in that hole, I see her picture on a wall and someone tells me they're the companions. What do you make of that?"

Highwall
Holy District
Church of Sarenrae

Galahad seems to actually consider what you said for a moment before speaking. "I cannot speak to the fact of the image for it sounds like we both had different paths taken, but if you truly were saved a companion it is not something I would openly share... It is not that I don't believe you speak true but there are those who might think you seek to poison Sarenrae's followers with the Companions teaching or that you are quiet mad. Half of the people here seem to think I was mad when I spoke of the Omen Star referenced in some of our oldest texts but recent events have caused a few to consider a few other possibilities," says Galahad sighing at the mention of this. "A few of them think I am responsible for it's appearance and am trying to hold a greater position within the church."

He shakes his head with a grim expression. "I do not wish for the life of an Oracle, and I doubt I have the powers ascribed to them. It is simply that I have an... Ace up my sleeve." says Galahad as he turns his attention back to Malxus.
"Was there anything else strange you ran into down in the pits?"

Donovan grinned at Damocles' guess that he was courting one of the Liasin twins. He'd heard exactly how protective the elder Liasin was over the pair of them. Rumours had reached him while he'd been doing his dance of working with the Thieves' Guild while not joining it that their father had murdered at least one suitor, one of the more wild rumours being that their father had cut a suitor into little pieces and hidden them within the walls of their house. What was known was the Liasin's were nobles who were distant cousins of King Alistair.

Glancing over the paper that Damocles pushed his way, Donovan smiled approvingly. 'I'm getting one heck of a bargain. Almost makes me feel like I'm stealing again paying this little.' thought Donovan as he pulled out his coin purse and started counting out the amount for the new armor. "Pleasure doing business with you, Damocles." Donovan smiled, intending to remember to recommend anyone who liked his armor go and shop there. With a few more pleasantries, Donovan left the shop. 'Got a bit of time to kill until the evening.' thought Donovan, walking towards the slums and the Church of Dark Elves. While only a half-elf, Donovan felt that it would be a good idea to at least attend the evening gathering. 'The Pit wasn't quite the Underdark, but still, it was dangerous.' thought Donovan, 'I did meet some good people though.' Hanging around for a few moments, Donovan remembered that the Paladin of Sarenrae had wanted to meet survivors. 'Hmm, maybe I should go see what he wants and hope that he doesn't talk into the early hours.' thought Donovan, heading towards the Church of Sarenrae.

"Everything was strange down there." Malxus considers Galahad's words. He'd been down in the pit? And traveled a different path? If he hadn't seen the picture of the Companions, he must not have run into their undead elf friend.

"I'll return with the rest of the survivors, and then we can talk more about what we saw down there. I sought my own answers first, so I came alone this time." Malxus nods and exits, lost in thought as he exits the church and heads back to the inn. He pauses at the Church of the Companions, looks down at his shield, and thinks better of entering. Maybe better to return while not in armor and carrying Sarenrae's image. That's when he notices Donovan watching the entrance.

"Hey, I was just coming to look for you guys. Seems our knightly friend has spent his own time in the pit, and some of the church now thinks he's a kook. Oh, and our escape has people thinking maybe the pit isn't enough of a test of redemption, so there's that. Sums up ... most of our conversation."

Last edited:
Donovan had sat in front of the entrance on top of a wall, watching it. Thinking. 'It's just a church, and that scroll Umi read was an invitation.' Donovan thought to himself, though it didn't ease his feeling of unease. After a while, he heard Malxus coming out of the church.

"'ey." Donovan said, hopping off the wall, "Went on a quick shopping trip." Falling into step with Malxus, Donovan was surprised how comfortable the armor was. Listening to Malxus talk, Donovan nodded along. "So they set a test, we pass, they think we cheated?" Donovan shrugged. "Surprised that the paladin 'ad been down there 'imself." Donovan wondered how to phrase it in a way that wouldn't be hard. "So, did they know of our newfound friends?" Donovan said, figuring anyone eavesdropping would think he meant Blackie and Likt.

Highwall:
Residential District
DuPont's Place

Blackie strode with purpose through the streets, no doubt word of his return had proceeded him which mean things were possibly already in motion. Was that a welcome back party or a dark encounter in an alleyway with only one exit. He wasn't sure but he did know one particular person that owed him for keeping his secret. Jace, or rather Pierre as he called himself now adays owned a small house in the residential district trying to run a clean business he knew. He also knew he had some bad dealings with the guild as of recently, and when Blackie had the chance to turn him in, he had opted not to in return for a favor in the future.

As he came up to the oak door at the front of Pierre DuPont's business he noticed how small it was and wondered if it had always been that way. The Pit had changed a lot of his perceptions about sizes recently going from cramped place for over a week to open skies. He raised his clawed fist and banged on the door twice. Waiting a good three seconds he knocked rapidly with his knuckles five times before taking a step back from the door. It was an old guild sign. If he got one knock back he'd know this was a bad time, if he got two knocks back it was a sign to get lost, and finally if the door opened it meant one of two things. Either they were going to kill you, or they had time to see you. Hopefully Pierre remembered him.

Work flowed and ebbed for Jace like the tides of the ocean shore. Sometimes he had more investigations going on than he knew what to do with, other times the young half elf would have to eventually go out to create work for himself.

This was one of the latter times.

At the moment, he was assuming his persona, Pierre DuPont and was reviewing his budget while smoking tobacco from a pipe and enjoying his dinner. The news was grim, a few more weeks without work and he might have to switch to a cheaper wine; it made Jace infuriated and almost ruined his desert of honeyed lark tongues. Almost.

While putting away the dishes, he heard a knock at the door, and then a few added on taps that sounded like an old thieves guild sign that meant business was to be had. Now, he knew that they changed their sign/counter sign every month to stay ahead of law enforcement, so either it’s an older member that went his separate way and knew about Jace, or the guild has finally caught onto him and sent retribution.

Cautiously, DuPont adjusted his vest and chewed the end of his pipe, a tick he developed over time to help him think. The man looked over to his leather armor and rapier for a moment before shaking his head, he would not appear to be an over cautious coward in his own home. Besides, he didn’t need weapons to deal with his foes. Pierre opens the door confidently and visibly relaxed a little more when he see’s his old...acquaintance, offering a warm smile while extending his hand. “Mon ami, it is great to see you! I am happy that the rumors are true and you survived the pit, but saddened that one more person still knows my secret. Come in, come in!

Last edited:
"Friends?" Malxus asks Donovan. Did he mean Blackie and Likt? Ohhh, "friends," right.

"Well, he was pretty interested in whatever strange things we found down there. Might be best to get our stories straight before we pay a return visit." He couldn't imagine any good coming of confessing they each had magic orbs in their chest, binding them to ancient beings with extraordinary power. "We should find out what he was down there for. He said he hadn't seen the painting of the companions, so I'm assuming he didn't make the acquaintance of our undead elven friend."

Umi briefly discussed his interests in the conjuration magic with Courtney, but remained fairly guarded, still on edge from the Pit. Paying the required dues, he thanked Courtney and left to head to the Last Stop Inn. He was walking for only a short time when he realized he should stop home before rejoining his new companions. The slender elven man weaved his way back through the city until he found his old house, stopping for a moment to smile happily at the familiar sight. Walking up to the door, Umi flicked his wrist and a small glowing key appeared in his hand which he used to unlock the door and allowing it to dissipate. He looked around at his small living room and kitchen, covered with a thin coating of dust in his and Darina's absence. As if moving through a dream, Umi slowly walked into his bedroom and looked around, saddened by the emptiness of his old house as the old wool blanket lay folded at the foot of the bed. With a long sigh, Umi dragged the brazier out from the corner of the room and began to chant quietly under his breath as he took out the mounds of incense and charcoal, throwing them periodically into the fire after drawing arcane symbols in the air. This ritual lasted about an hour before the fire flared, and with a grumpy croak, a small brown toad leaped out of the fire and onto Umi's lap. A wide smile crossed over his face, "Ahh, it's good too see you again Pickles, my old friend. I'm sorry I've been gone for so long, I'll fill you in as we walk."

Umi telepathically began to fill Pickles in on all the events that had transpired since his arrest as he left his house and headed towards the Last Stop Inn. He decided he could always check in on the library later, and he had made the others wait long enough. He entered the inn, and immediately noticed the large tortle with the wood elf woman, but he did not see any of his companions. Figuring he must be the first one to arrive, Umi found an open table and began to pull out ink and a quill and transcribing things into his spell book as he waited.

Highwall:
Residential District
DuPont's Place

Blackie gives a bit of an amused chirp at the reaction before walking into the house. "Yes, I was afraid my reputation would proceed me in this case," started Blackie as he looked around the room before turning his attention back to Pierre. "I've been a bit busy this last week or so staying alive, and I'm afraid I may have missed out on happenings around the city. You might also notice I'm not quiet outfitted to my usual standards."

He motions to the rags he was wearing before taking out a pouch and laying it upon one of Pierre's tables. "Two hundred gold payment," said Blackie as he pushed past Pierre towards one of the nearby windows. "With that I'm buying your services, and probably some of your cloths. Not sure how long it's going to take the Guild to realize I came back to town. If I was a betting man I'd say they might already have a tail on me."

He turned his attention back to Pierre once more and seemed to give an avian grin. "For your services, I need you to meet with some friends I made in the pit, they aren't too bad of a lot. Could have killed me while I was near weaponless and collected the guild's bounty on my head... two thousand gold last I hear? Might have gone up now that I'm a "Survivor of the Pit" but that is how these things go," says Blackie as he raises his hand summoning a decorative green dagger in his hand. "We found some weapons down there, curious things these. Some sort of... well mine is called Syl, and she is very... flighty..."

He cocks his head to the side for a moment. "Apparently she likes that pun," he says before letting the dagger fade into what looked like dust. The dust then faded to nothing on a faint wind.
"Not sure I have much more time to explain, but I need to ask. Have you been to the Paladin's Mount recently?"

Walking along with Malxus, Donovan nodded as Malxus suggested getting stories straight before they went back to the meeting. "Which makes me wonder how 'e got out, if I'm honest." Donovan said, making an effort to stop dropping his h's which wasn't entirely successful. "Shall we work it out over drinks in the inn?" Donovan asked.

Likt stands, moving slowly to Umi,
's table. "hello" she says softly, letting her eyes flash their normal, pale color for a moment before they went back to light green. "how are you?"

Walking into the inn, Donovan spied the bar with its large collection of drinks behind the counter. Approaching it, Donovan was intrigued by some of the larger bottles. Not knowing what any of them were called, when he could catch the attention of a bartender he just pointed at the biggest one.

"That one, please. Shot of that." Donovan said. Half hearing the bartender's warning that it was powerful and there were no refunds, Donovan slugged the shot back. Feeling a warmth run through him, Donovan set the glass down on the counter as he felt something seem to well up inside of him a spring of something he wasn't sure what it was.

'Erm, Gliss, what is?' Donovan thought.

Highwall:
Residential District
The Last Stop Inn

The bar tender shook his head as Donovan took it eagerly. As he went about cleaning the jar he also saw an elven woman step up and ask for the even stronger version. He muttered to himself about foolish adventurers but he always took their money. When Donovan tried to speak with Gliss, he felt a sudden flowing of energy through his body, and it felt like something was changing. "It seems to be some sort of... performance enhancer. That or it's a magical poison. I find that your impulsiveness to be a character flaw I hope we can correct."

The tortle follows the elven girl to the table, he looks over Umi for a moment and speaks with a low rumbling voice “you, are you one of the ones who survived the pit?” He places an arm onto the table and pulls up a chair from another table that groaned from the weight of him (mostly the shell)

Donovan shrugged, feeling a little lethargic as the booze hit home hard, 'Yeah, I should probably work on that.' Donovan thought as he staggered to a chair and sat down. 'Probably isn't going to do to meet paladin ironfoot sloshed. Did you see that star when we got out of the pit?' Donovan thought back, agreeing with Gliss.

Likt walked quickly up to the bar, deciding on a drink that she had only ever heard of and had never had even close to enough funds to purchase. she downs it smiling a little at the warm taste, before slowly moving to sit down at the far side of the room, resting her head on her knees and glancing around nervously.

Highwall:
Residential District
The Last Stop Inn

"Yes, it means you are wasting time getting drunk. Luckily it seems the effects to your body were an improvement. I was able to alter a bit of the magic to make you a little more... appealing. That being said I only have so much patience when it comes to frivolities," comes Gliss' voice cooly. Even through Donovan's drunkeness you can tell she is not pleased.
"I know the star heralds the purpose for which I was made. I still believe it is to defeat the Dark Ones, but I can't help the feeling that I was made for something else as well. Your drinking however... it's interfering as I'm trying to remember."

Rubbing his forehead a little as he listened to Gliss, Donovan's thoughts kept looping back to the way Gliss had mentioned her purpose. Being made for her purpose. Had he been sober, Donovan would have wondered how Gliss and her siblings were made, who had made them, how they had done it and why. As it was, instead Donovan was trying to clear his thoughts, which wasn't helping.

Standing up, he walked back to the bar. "Could I get a pint of water please?" Donovan asked the bartender. Once the pint had been placed in front of him, Donovan pulled himself up onto the stool and started to sip it slowly, concentrating on how it tasted to try and force his mind to focus. 'Sorry Gliss.' Donovan thought as he sipped at the drink, looking around the room. As it was, it was a blurry haze. 'Urgh, that drink didn't half hit hard.' Donovan thought, then remembered what Gliss had said, 'Makes me wonder how hard it would've hit if you hadn't intervened, Gliss. So, we need to go meet that paladin whose name I can't remember, who also went through the pit but somehow did not meet the undead elf nor you or your siblings. Malxus said to get stories straight. Which being slammed isn't going to help keep them straight.' Donovan thought, trying to pull his mind into some semblance of cohesion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread