• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Nature of Ice

Hemlock was knocked back by the gout of energy that the strange creature had emitted, slamming into the ground and rolling away. Stunned as he was, he rolled away a little further on his own volition in case the creature chased after him and rose to his feet. Instead, its target was not him, but one of the new guards. The screams. Oh, the screams. The creature had ended the unfortunate soldier with a tear, and more soldiers had been clamped to its back by forces he only had weak knowledge over, then fried. If not for Glacier's question or for others seeing him, he might have tried to fly away. He did not.

"It's innards are weak to fire, but cutting its wires seems to be doing little. Aim for the glowing core or fall back! To think such an ancient beast was still around. Unthinkable."

With a burst forward he claimed one of the fallen's spears and spread his wings to gain loft. If he was going to save some lives and prove himself a hero, this beast was a fine stepping stone. If only it was brighter out, he could make out the terrain better than shadows and brilliant flashes. He approached the machine and swooped close, attempting to strike the beast with a thrust toward its chest. With luck it will penetrate the core or remove some crucial wiring for the electromagnets, creating an opening or felling it. He knew, however, his chances were low. Another attempt might be needed, so he kept his guard up.

As Glacier and he were fighting, one was taking everything in patiently, silver eyes analysing the machine in the shadows. He drew his sword silently and stroked it with an oiled cloth, waiting for an opportunity to strike.
The core whirred while the lightning within stirred. The spear lodged itself in the underbelly the snapping of wires evident from their dangling. The cores lightning bursts sending a shockwave to blow Hemlock away. It was Glacier’s turn, stealing the spear to leap onto its back. The machine acted like a bronco spilling Glacier who's now hanging onto its side. The thing throws its head from side to side and kicks its back legs out. In a desperate attempt she sends the spear into a gap in-between the plates affecting more wires.

Glacier is then flung backwards to land hard onto her back. She rolled out of the beasts way as it tried to stomp on her, rolling onto her feet into rolling again out of the way of another charge. Glacier’s eyed the lodged spear the lightning arched from inside.
”Hemlock! Get onto it‘s back and blow fire over where the spear is.“

The spear is found to be lodged in its lower back. Whenever the beast moved, it shifted seemingly burying itself deeper.
Once more the beast’s inners glowed the familiar bright blue the cores contained lightning stirred faster, shooting out bolts of electricity in random directions! Any surface hit caught fire whether it be trees, the grass, or dragons. Guards screamed, Glacier witnessing a guards panicked flailing while fire licked his scales, a more lucky guard who was hit was instantly vaporized….

Last edited:
Hemlock let go of the spear as he was blown back, getting upright much more swiftly than last time from fifteen feet away. Glacier seemed at least somewhat decent at the tactic of switching, so he readied another action of his own by claiming a rock. The spear used by the both of them flashed with electricity between armour plates. A weak point, definitely something to capitalise on as Glacier had commented.

Thoughts of tactics slowed upon sighting the arcing lightning coming from the creature, untamed, almost feral. The sounds of screams alerted to him the dangers it posed, so he soared into the sky where the electricity would not reach him and rolled to rocket down when the lightning stopped. On its back now with a strong fall, he threw the sword away, drew in a deep breath, clamped his hands on the spear, and blew fiery breath down into the cavity made by the spear.

The shell made a nasty oven, and he hoped that it would do some great amount of harm to the beast which roasted and tore open many a guard. A scowl was on his face, partly from the heat beneath his feet and striking his face, and partly from anger. This beast had to go before it did any more dragons in.

Another weapon joined in, stabbing through another joint on the other side. The oiled blade of Snapjaw quickly ignited, raising the heat inside the shell, followed by a small explosion. If the explosion happened inside, Snapjaw's strategy would be complete there, but if it happened outside the shell nothing much would happen, save for a bit of charring on Snapjaw's hands and armour as the old sergeant rolled away.

The machine ignited in a ferociously large inferno added into the bright glow of warm orange the power flashes dotted the insides of the flames. The machine roared the same screech of claws on a chalkboard. A explosion quaked the ground the force tore the metal twisting it into sharp debris inner wiring and the sparking core are exposed, the weak structure and a secondary explosion splits the thing in two. Ancient technology popped lightning arched, the core started to crack. The glass crashed releasing the fearl electricity this final reaction was the end, the machine exploded violently! Sending a powerful shockwave blowing trees back. Glacier, Hemlock, Snapjaw, and whoever else is there was blown off their feet.
Glacier digging her claws into the dirt, hopefully everyone else did the same.

What seemed like a long battle ended in silence and a smoking pile of scrap. Glacier raised from her braced position and suddenly thrown forward with her arm twisted far behind her back. Her face twisted in pain she still was able to growl at them. Cuffs were slapped upon her wrists but she continued to struggle. Her stare was aimed at Snapjaw and Hemlock.

”Snapjaw! Thank the Emperor you’re here. Tell these morons to let me go! I just helped save Ocenside from a metallic beast!”

The stare down turned to Hemlock.
”Surprised you decided to actually help, hearing the shrill cry of fear from you was amusing.”

The blow did it. The honour shared between Glacier, Hemlock, and Snapjaw, the machine was relieved of its centuries-old programming and scrapped. To avoid the sparks and shockwaves that flew from the monstrosity, Hemlock took to the skies while Snapjaw mirrored Glacier, grounding himself and keeping his profile low as a torrent of bits flew overhead. It was over, but like everything the scene shifted to something different. Glacier was clapped in irons.

Hemlock landed with his usual finesse close by, one scaly brow lifted in surprise upon seeing the situation, followed by the lift of the sides of his mouth. Seeing Glacier like this brought a sense of joy to him. Snapjaw, however, stepped between Glacier and Hemlock, locking his eyes on the female dragon.

"These morons as you call them are your fellow guardsmen, and from what I had gathered there was good reason to pin your arms," the old sergeant chided. "My eyes may not be as good, but my ears like my poison do not fail me because I know how to wield them. Assaulting an on-duty officer, running away from correction, rushing here to the very spot told to me I would find you this late at night. Glacier, I am disappointed in you, and you too, Hemlock, for taking on this folly."

"Sir!" cried Hemlock, affronted.

"I will not hear any lipping," Snapjaw barked. "At least three are dead because of this challenge of Glacier's. I should have dissuaded you from coming. Lives were lost because you were unwary, unprepared. You!" He pointed toward one of the guards standing. "Check on the fallen. See if any still yet live."

He turned his full attention back to Glacier. If he saw Hemlock's disheartened expression, it did not shake him.

"Glacier, I had high hopes for you. I still do." He shook his head solemnly. "However, you are too brash, too fiery. For that reason, I am relieving you of your duties as a guard temporarily and placing you in a government role. There in that humble role you will learn order, orders, and borders. Someone will need papers to be stacked or censuses gathered."

Hemlock snickered one last gloat before Snapjaw whipped his head and rushed toward him, ensnaring him by the back of his collar and dragging him backward with one speedy motion. Choked by his own shirt, Hemlock fell to his rear and sputtered something apologetic.

"0830, Glacier!" Snapjaw called over his shoulder. "Be there at my office, or face worse repercussions."

Previous struggling subsided as Glacier absorbed what SnapJaw told her. Her, a guard meant for great things to aid the Emperor's quest, left to be in a office stacking papers..
Her head bowed in a way of apology the many years of being a guard taught her not to talk back. Not even the amusing sight of Hemlock also being punished cheered her up. She's really done it now. Was her personality to rough? Other guards did say she's hot headed but ignored their comments knowing a guard must be fierce on the field.
With her head bowed in defeat still, the guards threw her into the room she occupied. Luckily, no one else was in the room and she sat on her bed, legs up and her head buried into her knees. Then something happened, something that hasn't happened before. She cried.

The next day Glacier sat in the padded seat infront of Snapjaw's office the single light on the ceiling focused on her. She sat like how she would if at attention when standing up. While her reputation may be destroyed she still had her dignity to continue showing self disipline. The clock on the wall ticked slowly the middle hand raced around at a agonizing slow pace. The ticking being suppressed by the nosy youths outside hearing the wide spread gossip of Snapjaw's pet being in trouble. She could see the shadows behind the fuzzy glass window of dragons pressing their muzzles against the glass in an attempt to listen in. Then there's Snapjaw, his clawed hand pressed in between his eyes in disapointment. Glacier didn't know, or if she had authorization to speak. She bit her lip and decided to speak first.

"Sir, I don't know how many times I nedd to say this, I'm sorry. Hemlock set me up he challenged me and being a guard I was taught to never back down from a challenge. Please I'm begging you to not take this away from me."

In his office, Snapjaw mulled over his thoughts and words in careful consideration. He was one of the discipliners of the guards since his assignment to this cluster of border towns, and he took that role very seriously. After informing her to seat herself, he opened his eyes and steepled his fingers, irritation radiating from his eyes at the sight of shadows on his window.

Once Glacier had finished her spiel, having thought over her actions carefully over the night, he said "A moment" to her in a hushed voice before tossing his nameplate at the door to startle all of those who dared to eavesdrop.

"To anyone remaining behind my door for information I will dole out extraordinary punishments," he barked. "You have been warned."

After a pause pregnant with disorder behind the door, he leaned back in his chair and frowned at the guard he considered his young protege.

"It seems you have given your actions some thought, but you have some errors in your judgement," he stated, raising his fingers in order. "One: while apologies are necessary they require substance to back it up. Actions, not words. Two: if you speak true, I will have an additional word with our young officer, but I decide what is true or not in this office. Three, and this is most important: while it is good to act with confidence, it is far better to know the situation with confidence. I will have to talk with my fellows about teaching 'Never back down on a challenge.'

"Moreover, this situation has resulted in much more than a civil disagreement. It resulted in four lost lives and three hospitalised because of the time, place, and your actions. This is not all on Officer Hemlock, but you as well. Remediations must be paid. The looks on those faces related to the fallen remain seen by these old eyes, and two more families need letters or visitations."

He stared at Glacier, painfully still in eye and face as his hand came down on the desk.

"You helped to partially remediate by destroying the sparking mongrel, but I regret to inform you now need to suffer some more. For that reason you are to assist in census taking and community services. This is not a dishonorable discharge. This is an act of making things right." He leaned back, eyes softening. "Failure is a teacher. It can break you, or it will make you. My intent is to mould you into leadership material. Surpass this trial, Glacier. When summoned return to me, and prove and demonstrate to me that you can learn from your new duties. You are dismissed. In the folder before you"--he slid a manila folder over--"you can find your duty stations."

Within the open envelope, whenever she decides to open it, she would find two addresses with greater descriptions: one a tax and census office, and the other the only florist and plant shop around: Seed of Origin, the shop where she ran into the nature dragon last night.

In his office, Snapjaw mulled over his thoughts and words in careful consideration. He was one of the discipliners of the guards since his assignment to this cluster of border towns, and he took that role very seriously. After informing her to seat herself, he opened his eyes and steepled his fingers, irritation radiating from his eyes at the sight of shadows on his window.

Once Glacier had finished her spiel, having thought over her actions carefully over the night, he said "A moment" to her in a hushed voice before tossing his nameplate at the door to startle all of those who dared to eavesdrop.

"To anyone remaining behind my door for information I will dole out extraordinary punishments," he barked. "You have been warned."

After a pause pregnant with disorder behind the door, he leaned back in his chair and frowned at the guard he considered his young protege.

"It seems you have given your actions some thought, but you have some errors in your judgement," he stated, raising his fingers in order. "One: while apologies are necessary they require substance to back it up. Actions, not words. Two: if you speak true, I will have an additional word with our young officer, but I decide what is true or not in this office. Three, and this is most important: while it is good to act with confidence, it is far better to know the situation with confidence. I will have to talk with my fellows about teaching 'Never back down on a challenge.'

"Moreover, this situation has resulted in much more than a civil disagreement. It resulted in four lost lives and three hospitalised because of the time, place, and your actions. This is not all on Officer Hemlock, but you as well. Remediations must be paid. The looks on those faces related to the fallen remain seen by these old eyes, and two more families need letters or visitations."

He stared at Glacier, painfully still in eye and face as his hand came down on the desk.

"You helped to partially remediate by destroying the sparking mongrel, but I regret to inform you now need to suffer some more. For that reason you are to assist in census taking and community services. This is not a dishonorable discharge. This is an act of making things right." He leaned back, eyes softening. "Failure is a teacher. It can break you, or it will make you. My intent is to mould you into leadership material. Surpass this trial, Glacier. When summoned return to me, and prove and demonstrate to me that you can learn from your new duties. You are dismissed. In the folder before you"--he slid a manila folder over--"you can find your duty stations."

Within the open envelope, whenever she decides to open it, she would find two addresses with greater descriptions: one a tax and census office, and the other the only florist and plant shop around: Seed of Origin, the shop where she ran into the nature dragon last night.
Glacier kept her full attention on Snapjaw’s wise words his news on the dead and wounded guards made her feel more guilty and hung her head low. Her eyes followed the path of a folder and intercepted it’s path by picking it up with both claws. With her new orders she stood up, Glacier’s saddened eyes flashed with authority clicking her feet together in attention. Breaking from Snapjaw’s gaze outside his office Glacier opened the folder peering at the name of the shop.
’Seed of Origin’ It read she recognized the name some said the shop was almost always empty, shed surprised it hasn’t been shut down. On the next paper it gave the addres.
’Don’t worry Snapjaw, I’ll make you proud.’

The sign of Origin’s shop swayed in the breeze giving off silent creaks.
Displays showed potted plant’s unique in their own ways from the size, shape, and appearance. The rumors were true, she couldn’t see a single resident inside but its still quite early in the morning.
A tiny bell rings announcing Glacier’s entrance. Inside the store is similar to the outside the space smelled nice, she never smelled such sweet sents around her. Glacier’s curiosity propelled her forward spinning to inspect every inch of the shop. A sudden sharp pain targeted the back of her head a swinging hanging plant being the reason. The stalk of the poor plant whipped from the fast movements several leaves floating onto the floor.

"Ah! Careful! Careful!" piped a small ruby-red dragon from nearby, rushing up with a nearby stepstool and, having clambered up it in record speed, steadied the swaying hanging plant. Closing her eyes briefly with a sigh of relief, she looked over at Glacier, eyes leveled with hers and face very close. A grin appeared on her wily whiskered face as she giggled.

"Y'know, if this were mistletoe and the holidays you'd risk getting smooched. Seeing as that's not the case and these are spider plants you're safe." She folded her arms, long, dachshund-like body stretched out fully as if trying to have an air of majesty. "Don't worry about the leaves. These ones are hardy enough to handle a knock like that, plus we have Vitalia to breathe new life into it if issues ever arise. Still, pots are expensive.

"So! What can I help you with? I'm Rivetta, and welcome to Seed of Origin! Lookin' for a perennial? Crops? Something pretty? Maybe lookin' at that hiring sign? Give me the deets."

Further in the shop, Vitalia glanced over some of the store shelves while stocking inventory to see the customer and darted her head back down. Items knocked about noisily while her head was ducked low, drawing a finger to her chin. Was that the runaway from before? No, she wouldn't be here, not after last night. She would either be locked away or far from town, right? It must be someone else. She continued stocking.

"Ah! Careful! Careful!" piped a small ruby-red dragon from nearby, rushing up with a nearby stepstool and, having clambered up it in record speed, steadied the swaying hanging plant. Closing her eyes briefly with a sigh of relief, she looked over at Glacier, eyes leveled with hers and face very close. A grin appeared on her wily whiskered face as she giggled.

"Y'know, if this were mistletoe and the holidays you'd risk getting smooched. Seeing as that's not the case and these are spider plants you're safe." She folded her arms, long, dachshund-like body stretched out fully as if trying to have an air of majesty. "Don't worry about the leaves. These ones are hardy enough to handle a knock like that, plus we have Vitalia to breathe new life into it if issues ever arise. Still, pots are expensive.

"So! What can I help you with? I'm Rivetta, and welcome to Seed of Origin! Lookin' for a perennial? Crops? Something pretty? Maybe lookin' at that hiring sign? Give me the deets."

Further in the shop, Vitalia glanced over some of the store shelves while stocking inventory to see the customer and darted her head back down. Items knocked about noisily while her head was ducked low, drawing a finger to her chin. Was that the runaway from before? No, she wouldn't be here, not after last night. She would either be locked away or far from town, right? It must be someone else. She continued stocking.
Glacier is still rubbing the back of her head after the impact. She quits the action having the ruby red dragon in her personal space.
She‘s having second thoughts about this maybe working in an office wouldn’t be that bad after all…

She pushed the Ruby red dragons muzzle back from her face.
”I’m here for employment. You know, money being tight and all.”
She lied, hoping Rivetta would buy it.
”Are you the only one here right now The place seems rather…dead right now.”

Right after concluding her thoughts out loud she heard the knocking of pots. That answers that question, what will the nature dragon think from their encounter last night. Building up bravery silently, she didn’t want to show weakness in front of civilians, she rounded the shelves to introduce herself to the nature dragon. If she was distracted because of stocking the shelves she still would say something.
”Hey. You‘re the nature dragon that owns this place Origin, right?
I haven’t met a nature dragon before so I don’t really know what to say.”

Rivetta's mirth only grew when she was pushed away, whiskers fluttering as she leapt from her makeshift podium and dragged it aside.

"Well, money is tight, true, in this economy. You'll have to talk with the owner. And oh, I'm not the only one here," she corrected. "She's--ah! it seems you have found her already!"

Rivetta was all smiles while saying such, and for once Vitalia did not enjoy having a skydragon's playfulness. She peeked over to find that the girl from before was there, looking at her. Her hand reached for items that were not there, nervous as she was.

"That is fine enough," she answered, emitting an easy smile as she stopped to give the guest her full attention. She wrung her hands searching for words to say as she swayed. "We don't have many greetings outside of our own kind, but it is nice to meet you, Miss Mountain Dragon. Unfortunately, I am not sure if I can give you a position currently. As of this morning, the position was taken for what seemed to be a short time. A guard was going to be working here and helping out, so I will have to turn you away currently. I am sorry."

Rivetta watched the situation unfold at the front of the store, taking out the broom and sweeping at the floor softly enough to listen in. Mental notes were jotted down for her own eventual shop.

Rivetta's mirth only grew when she was pushed away, whiskers fluttering as she leapt from her makeshift podium and dragged it aside.

"Well, money is tight, true, in this economy. You'll have to talk with the owner. And oh, I'm not the only one here," she corrected. "She's--ah! it seems you have found her already!"

Rivetta was all smiles while saying such, and for once Vitalia did not enjoy having a skydragon's playfulness. She peeked over to find that the girl from before was there, looking at her. Her hand reached for items that were not there, nervous as she was.

"That is fine enough," she answered, emitting an easy smile as she stopped to give the guest her full attention. She wrung her hands searching for words to say as she swayed. "We don't have many greetings outside of our own kind, but it is nice to meet you, Miss Mountain Dragon. Unfortunately, I am not sure if I can give you a position currently. As of this morning, the position was taken for what seemed to be a short time. A guard was going to be working here and helping out, so I will have to turn you away currently. I am sorry."

Rivetta watched the situation unfold at the front of the store, taking out the broom and sweeping at the floor softly enough to listen in. Mental notes were jotted down for her own eventual shop.
Glacier’s ears perked up.
“Thats for me, it’s a very long story on how I ended up in this situation. But as soon as I’m finished I’ll be out and hopefully Snapjaw will be proud of me.”

Glacier says clapping her claws together.
”What do you want me to do first Miss Nature Dragon?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sergeant wasted no time loading the Titan 5 for transport. Where they were heading to they didn’t know.
The train bucked with sounds of drumming while it thundered onwards. Joey watched out the window at the fast moving scenery.
”So guys, what do you think the Emperor has in store for us to do?”

He asked to break the silence.
”I hope its something exciting, with lots of action. The Titan 5 vs the enemies of the Emperor. We’ll be heros!”

The nature dragon paled upon hearing that the mountain dragon before her was the guard she was supposed to wait on. Wasn't this the runaway from before? It must have been. As further evidence, the guards from last night informed her that the runaway was in fact a guard.

Quiet resounded after Glacier clapped her hands together. Even Rivetta's broom fell silent. Vitalia ran a hand over her face before sighing and smiling uneasily.

"Well, the first order of business usually starts with a name." She placed a hand upon her own heart, eyes locking on to Glacier's. A . "I shall start. My name is Vitalia Originmaw, owner of the Seed of Origin. If you'd like, you may call me Origin like you did. Keeps things simple and it rings off of the tongue better." She extended the same hand. "May I ask for yours, miss?"

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Pincer and Boreal were very much asleep while the train rifled on to a destination unknown, leaving Summers and Mightywing to stare out into the distance along with Joey. The only track of time was the break of dawn as the sun attempted to peek from between the blush of morning and the distant mountains. Summers leaned against the back end of the railcar while sitting down while Mightywing braced against the edge of the still-open door, his face lit with a smile at Joey's commentary.

"Heroes, eh? I like the ring of that already. We've been training tons, so I expect something dangerous."

Summers gave Pincer a solid kick to the foot, startling him awake, but left Boreal to sleep. The latter was a frightful dragon to wake.

"How long was I out?" Pincer yawned.

"Not sure, friend," confessed Summers, shaking him slightly awake. "Friend, those mountains. Do you recognise them?"

"Mm . . . yeah, I think so. "We're on our way to the front, past Bribkel and Stickville. That mountain before us? That's Mount Sarmel, a bald-faced mountain I feel I can't mistaken. I lived in Bribkel when young." His eyes barely were open.

"And you think we're gonna be loved for our work?"

"Oh, undoubtedly. First-rate, whatever it is."

Summers grinned while Mightywing turned to Joey and asked, "If not the battlefield, I expect something stealthy. We'll be experts before we know it. What do you think we're sent off to do, Joey?"

The nature dragon paled upon hearing that the mountain dragon before her was the guard she was supposed to wait on. Wasn't this the runaway from before? It must have been. As further evidence, the guards from last night informed her that the runaway was in fact a guard.

Quiet resounded after Glacier clapped her hands together. Even Rivetta's broom fell silent. Vitalia ran a hand over her face before sighing and smiling uneasily.

"Well, the first order of business usually starts with a name." She placed a hand upon her own heart, eyes locking on to Glacier's. A . "I shall start. My name is Vitalia Originmaw, owner of the Seed of Origin. If you'd like, you may call me Origin like you did. Keeps things simple and it rings off of the tongue better." She extended the same hand. "May I ask for yours, miss?"

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Pincer and Boreal were very much asleep while the train rifled on to a destination unknown, leaving Summers and Mightywing to stare out into the distance along with Joey. The only track of time was the break of dawn as the sun attempted to peek from between the blush of morning and the distant mountains. Summers leaned against the back end of the railcar while sitting down while Mightywing braced against the edge of the still-open door, his face lit with a smile at Joey's commentary.

"Heroes, eh? I like the ring of that already. We've been training tons, so I expect something dangerous."

Summers gave Pincer a solid kick to the foot, startling him awake, but left Boreal to sleep. The latter was a frightful dragon to wake.

"How long was I out?" Pincer yawned.

"Not sure, friend," confessed Summers, shaking him slightly awake. "Friend, those mountains. Do you recognise them?"

"Mm . . . yeah, I think so. "We're on our way to the front, past Bribkel and Stickville. That mountain before us? That's Mount Sarmel, a bald-faced mountain I feel I can't mistaken. I lived in Bribkel when young." His eyes barely were open.

"And you think we're gonna be loved for our work?"

"Oh, undoubtedly. First-rate, whatever it is."

Summers grinned while Mightywing turned to Joey and asked, "If not the battlefield, I expect something stealthy. We'll be experts before we know it. What do you think we're sent off to do, Joey?"
“A pleasure, I’m Glacier been a guard for a long while and was itching to be stationed on the frontlines of the ongoing war.”

She shook Origin’s claw. Going back to explore the shop Glacier reconized a few plants though the information was fuzzy the look is fimiliar.
”Huh, Bubble Root when eaten it helps you breath underwater.”
She recalls from her classes.
”You wouldn’t have anything that’ll help in a fight right? I mean, is there even something like that?”

Joey, who has taken off his helmet and breathed on it.
”Beats me, I just wanna know when we’ll arrive.”
He say, wiping away the cloudy mist on the goggles lens.

“Besides, if it is dangerous and filled with action, you’d be our reserve if things go south on a mission. We all know your reputation with heavy weapons and your clear bloodlust.”

Joey slipped the helmet over his head wobbling onto his feet while fighting the shaky environment. Everyone had to follow Joey’s action as a high ranking military official entered their train car. He saluted and the Titan 5 saluted back.

”Morning Men, sorry for the rude awakening last night. I wanted to inform you we’re nearing our destination. I’ve generously gifted you new gear and armor for your upcoming mission. Just like I said last night, as soon as you leave this train go to the main outpost nearby for your mission. Your stuff you need is in the storage car two cars behind you. I wish you all luck once again..”

He salutes and the Titan 5 salute back. Eventually the Titan 5 entered to a locker room like car. Storage boxes shifted slightly as the train moved the logistics within were marked on what it was. Joey is the first to open a fat locker with his name on it. He’s gifted a flight suit with light armor attached, two light pistols a new helmet and more.
The rest of the Titan 5 were gifted new armor and weapons too.
When Pincer opened his locker he found a black suit with no collars but instead armor around the neck area, arms, and legs. He’s also given a matching helmet and goggles. Interestingly he’s given a satchel with equipment inside.

Origin nodded hesitantly in response to the question directed at her. She was impressed by Glacier's knowledge of bubble root, wondering how she came across such knowledge, but weaponising plants to suit her purpose? That was best not to be told yet, let alone by a nature dragon whose aim was to better health, not worsen it.

"The pleasure is mine," she started, granting an easy smile that faded with her continuation. "We will get to that if you stay long enough." Behind Glacier, the broom started to pick up again as Rivetta stopped eavesdropping to continue her tasks. "Well, Glacier, please familiarise yourself with the shop to get a feel of the place, then return to me. We'll get you started on stocking inventory, placing tags on merchandise, and learning more about the plants, but right now? Welcome aboard."

-- -- --

"Pardon my question, but why do you want to fight?" Origin asked from out of the blue, her green eyes focused on sliding some ribbon through a hole in card stock. For a moment or two her eyes flitted toward Glacier, but swiftly returned back to her actions. "If it's not too much trouble, I mean. I was a little surprised when the older gentleman from the barracks came by to offer your, a guard's, services. Now I'm doubly curious, seeing that you want to go to the front lines. What is there that awaits you that can't be found here?"

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

"Nothing clear about it," harrumphed Mightywing, but a smile still lingered on his lips and twinkled in his eyes. "But yes, I suppose you're right."

The door opened, and Boreal had to be kicked awake, Summers once again doing so but hastily this time. As the rest saluted, the roguishly cheerful entrepreneur held his temple unhappily, trying to quell the pain of getting hit, but that soon faded with the joy of new equipment. It was bigger. It was better. It was more specialised. The crew looked upon their gear with a sense of marvel, most especially Boreal who enjoyed his new digs that seemed far more fitting than the uniform of a guard.

Pincer, on the other hand, looked at his outfit in confusion. Armour seemed to be protecting joints well, but the center torso seemed a bit exposed. At the very least he had a helmet, something to protect his brain which was probably his most valuable asset, and goggles to shelter his eyes from the elements. A heavy satchel also drooped, which he was interested in exploring. Field glasses, flint and tinder, a good steel knife in a sheathe, a canteen, gauze wrapping, a notepad -- equipment good for field work.

He blew a scoff out of his nose. This was equipment a scout would have. Was he going to do chiefly recon? Perhaps, in the end, it would be for the best. He would not be able to wrestle an enemy down. His talents lay elsewhere.

"I hope whatever the situation may be, I don't fail them," he muttered under his breath, hand tightening against the satchel's handle. "Ah, Shine, I could use some inspiration right now if you were here."

Glacier did exactly what Origin said and explored due to the overwhelming curiosity. She saw her own reflection printed along the glass pane housing long twine like plants twisting up their posts and around each other. The growth they’re achieving coming from the shining lights on top of the enclosure. Other enclosures grew many species of fungus and questionable flora she hasn’t seen before.
Quiet chirps from small organisms hopped from leaf to leaf, branch to branch. Large round beady eyes stared in either direction at Glacier’s muzzle uncomfortably close to the glass. It’s back legs gave a powerful kick to propel it into hiding.
Glacier glanced up from her exploring.
”Coming here was my sergeants idea, the older gentleman you mentioned. Isn’t it obvious why I’m here? Why are you here?
What’s keeping you here? It’s your purpose. My purpose is to fight.
Raised on the way of combat. But here I am, stuck here because I made a simple mistake! Now I’m the laughing stock of the entire barracks!“

Glacier ranted, eyes from outside peeked through the store front.

As if perfectly timed the train wheezed to a halt releasing steam from its underside in a large cloud. The Titan 5 witnessed the soldier’s practicing drills for upcoming combat those who weren’t sharpening their skills, relaxed. A radio played music none heard of before, others smoked, played cards, or chatted. The group got many weary eyes trailing their path as they passed them. Pincer could hear hushed murmurs, whether it was about him he wouldn’t know. Shining concentrated light burned Pincer’s eyes once his eyes adjusted he found two Light Dragons staring at him, one even giving him a wave while the other mouthed a ‘sorry’

Origin seemed affronted at first, but her eyes calmed at the sight of seeing the pain on Glacier's face. She continued pruning at the overgrowth of gosling neck, the plant overdue of trimming just by a few days. She would keep the clippings, as the leaves had some medicinal value.

"Discipline," Origin intoned, shaking her head, "can be cruel but necessary. I overheard just snippets from last night. You ran. You were a suspect, though I know not of what. I suspect fighting is involved, seeing as that is what you mentioned."

She sighed, looking up toward the storefront. Children's eyes peered in with a wild-eyed expression, squinting through the open glass with eyes adjusting. One pointed through the window and informing his fellows, "Told you!" before they all ran scampering off. Origin was not sure who or what they were talking about, but it seemed to be one of the two elephants in the room.

"I know a bit about sticking out and being jeered at, considering my heritage, so I'll let you in on a little secret, dragon-to-dragon: don't let it get to you. You know yourself while others carry opinions about you, some of which are misinformed. As for me, I chose to be here. I have roots from childhood, even if my friends and family are gone away." She turned, facing Glacier with a frown, snipping one final snip. "Your sergeant made this sound like a short-term assignment. After this, you are free to go back to fighting and what-have-you -- your purpose -- and I'll continue to serve those who are tolerant and those who are misinformed."

A tin bell chimed as someone orange, large, and smooth came through the front. Origin snapped to attention.

"With that said, we have a regular. Talk with Rivetta in the meantime. Sully!" she called out, louder than before. "Good to see you! Need more golden tomatoes?"

Origin was off, tending to the first customer of the day, while Rivetta slunk around the corner speedily and arrived with the biggest grin. She either had very good ears or a penchant for gossip.

"Yo! Want to get started on some tags and names? I will give a grand tour too, if you like. Come! Come!" she spoke, stuffing tags strung with cotton strings and a pencil in Glacier's hands before hurrying away to another aisle.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

To put it lightly, arriving upon site was more somber than Pincer expected. The mountain air itself had lost its zest when entering the space of the encampment, and that was more to say than the soldiers that had trekked all of this way to be here. A ripple of dread passed through him as he browsed the faces. Where was the elation, the pizzazz, the willingness to fight? It was as if everything was drained away, even the colour of the ground and air.

Looking around him, he realised that he was at the head of the five, and two light dragons, same shimmering armour plating as his cousin, though with different outer protection, were staring at him. Their reactions were very different, one inviting, one not, and he at least for the moment took the lead.

"Private Pincer of the Titan Five," he responded, locking his legs together and his arm to be crooked in salute. The other three of Summers, Mightywing, and Boreal mirrored him in mismatched fashions, but still with the best of intentions. "We are here to report to duty. Who is our lead officer to report in?"

Origin seemed affronted at first, but her eyes calmed at the sight of seeing the pain on Glacier's face. She continued pruning at the overgrowth of gosling neck, the plant overdue of trimming just by a few days. She would keep the clippings, as the leaves had some medicinal value.

"Discipline," Origin intoned, shaking her head, "can be cruel but necessary. I overheard just snippets from last night. You ran. You were a suspect, though I know not of what. I suspect fighting is involved, seeing as that is what you mentioned."

She sighed, looking up toward the storefront. Children's eyes peered in with a wild-eyed expression, squinting through the open glass with eyes adjusting. One pointed through the window and informing his fellows, "Told you!" before they all ran scampering off. Origin was not sure who or what they were talking about, but it seemed to be one of the two elephants in the room.

"I know a bit about sticking out and being jeered at, considering my heritage, so I'll let you in on a little secret, dragon-to-dragon: don't let it get to you. You know yourself while others carry opinions about you, some of which are misinformed. As for me, I chose to be here. I have roots from childhood, even if my friends and family are gone away." She turned, facing Glacier with a frown, snipping one final snip. "Your sergeant made this sound like a short-term assignment. After this, you are free to go back to fighting and what-have-you -- your purpose -- and I'll continue to serve those who are tolerant and those who are misinformed."

A tin bell chimed as someone orange, large, and smooth came through the front. Origin snapped to attention.

"With that said, we have a regular. Talk with Rivetta in the meantime. Sully!" she called out, louder than before. "Good to see you! Need more golden tomatoes?"

Origin was off, tending to the first customer of the day, while Rivetta slunk around the corner speedily and arrived with the biggest grin. She either had very good ears or a penchant for gossip.

"Yo! Want to get started on some tags and names? I will give a grand tour too, if you like. Come! Come!" she spoke, stuffing tags strung with cotton strings and a pencil in Glacier's hands before hurrying away to another aisle.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

To put it lightly, arriving upon site was more somber than Pincer expected. The mountain air itself had lost its zest when entering the space of the encampment, and that was more to say than the soldiers that had trekked all of this way to be here. A ripple of dread passed through him as he browsed the faces. Where was the elation, the pizzazz, the willingness to fight? It was as if everything was drained away, even the colour of the ground and air.

Looking around him, he realised that he was at the head of the five, and two light dragons, same shimmering armour plating as his cousin, though with different outer protection, were staring at him. Their reactions were very different, one inviting, one not, and he at least for the moment took the lead.

"Private Pincer of the Titan Five," he responded, locking his legs together and his arm to be crooked in salute. The other three of Summers, Mightywing, and Boreal mirrored him in mismatched fashions, but still with the best of intentions. "We are here to report to duty. Who is our lead officer to report in?"
Origin’s words swam in her head keeping her eyes glued on Origin as she addressed the first customer of the day. Glacier’s attention snapped back seeing Origin’s assistant staring up at her with a gullible grin. ‘How can she be happy 24/7? Must be tiring.’

Holding her thoughts, her claws were quickily filled with tags and a pencil and told to follow her. Glacier took one last glance at Origin and slipped into a back room full of plants.
Same like the sales floor towering plants reached the ceiling. Glacier stumbled over a root, cussing under her breath. Glacier gave an awkward grim if Rivetta stared at her.
”How do you like working with Origin and why did you choose to work here?”

Glacier asked, not directly talking to Rivetta instead her face was contorted behind a glass frame housing plants.

The officer clicked his feet together and gave the same gesture.
“A pleasure Pincer, I’m sergant Sky Chaser. Now, since the introductions are outta the way, let’s begin.”

Sky Chaser clapped his claws together, gesturing the group to a wide table decorated with important military equipment. The center point, a pinned map using regular rocks from the ground. Multicolored key points were marked one of these was pointed to by the sergeant.
”Infantry platoons have detained refugees, some of which were caught being with enemy civilians.“
He tapped his finger in the same location.
”This compound is used to house supplies for these civilians. I and the rest of the higher ups suspect these civilian of ours are traitors and defecting. Do not feel guilty shooting down any dragons, these dragons of our empire have betrayed us! They’re supplying the enemy and giving intel about our outposts!“

During the yelling the sergeant slammed his fist down making Pincer jump. Sky Chaser composed himself with a strong exhale and cleared his throat.
”Any dragons who don’t resist bring them here for interrogation.
You have your orders, stop the transport of supplies, detain any civilians of either sides or kill those who resist. Remember this, all of you, I said don’t hesitate with shooting these traitors. That applys for you aswell. If you suspect any treasonous acts in this squad, kill them.”

The words for these instructions came out cold, his eyes held no mercy nor fear. He was dead serious…

”You’re dismissed…”

Sky Chaser gave one last salute to the Titan 5 before shooing them out of his tent.

Rivetta cast a glance back at the sound of obscenities, then chuckled at the sight of a tripped-up Glacier. This was not the first time anybody had nearly fallen in this backroom. The low light of the back room made the floor rife with dangers underfoot.

"Hmm, tough to answer those questions together, so I'll answer them separate," the red skydragon responded, dropping her head onto a balled fist thoughtfully. "I came here in search of a job where I can learn to be a shop owner. A lot of the other places were not looking for help, and fewer yet wanted to take on potential competition, I'm betting. Then I met the owner. She seemed lonely, so I wanted to help her more than the others. She taught me a lot, but I've a lot to learn. I don't have her magic touch, you see, in more ways than one. You'll see what I'm talkin' about later."

She revolved around the glass, her previous bulbous nose now shrinking back into a normal shape and size now that the distortion was no longer there.

"Regarding your first question, she's a joy to work with. I get to tease her as long as I don't go too far. She works hard, which makes me want to work hard, and has some sense of poise that -- ah, yes! There you are in all your glory!" Rivetta further commented, raising her hands in salutation toward Origin. The nature dragon looked fully embarrassed, her cheeks almost aflame.

"Riv, please, control yourself!" she cried. "I leave for a minute to help with a customer and you're teasing me again!"

"Teasing is such a rough word. It's not my fault you arrived in time for praise," Rivetta countered with a manic grin.

Origin's face turned into disgruntlement as she shooed the skydragon away, the latter running off cackling.

"Shoo! Shoo!" she called out before turning to Glacier. "I'm sorry about that. Rivetta is . . . a challenge to work with at times. Fun, yes, until she gets you into trouble." Origin gave a nasty look toward the back door where the skydragon ran off. "But I will need your help. You're strong. Perhaps you can help me carry these tomato plants and herbs to my wagon? It will save me a few trips before I make my deliveries, two in total, including Sully who you had just seen."

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Pincer felt honoured having an officer give him a salute. Back at the guard barracks he felt as if the others did not give him the time of day, but here he felt more important. Perhaps it was the weight of the mission or that the man was talking as if to him. Either way, importance flowed through him and the group, and he was happy to answer the call. Looking over the battle plans with clouded eyes, having never participated in such strategy meetings, he hoped to make these warriors and his sergeant proud. By guessing at the positioning, however, this seemed a mission of grave importance.

Defection -- a devastating word to someone in the military. By leaving the empire and joining the enemy, they hurt the war effort twofold or worse, considering they were leaking information about the outposts. Such could turn order into bloodbaths, losing ground and making the war effort that much harder. How could anyone do this, he wondered? Why not full devotion to the emperor who would lead them to freedom against the attacking hordes? He just could not understand, not as one of the battle-born.

"Yes, sir," he answered, swallowing tightly as he studied the map. "We of the Titan 5 will do as you say and do the Emperor justice with this operation."

-- -- -- -- --

Outside of the tent, the five fully convened far from the tent. Pincer and Summers spoke in hushed voices while Boreal and Mightywing spoke loudly, unable to contain their excitement.

"Our first mission!" Mightywing exclaimed, his arms folded as he looked up into the sky with mirth. "I'll be able to chop down some defectors with my gun. This was what I was hoping for. Well, the shooting part. I was kind of hoping to take on just regular enemy soldiers."
"Precious little difference now, y'all," reminded Boreal. "They have joined the enemy, so they might as well be enemies themselves. Just thinking about it boils my blood. They sold us out, and for what? Leniency? Mercy?"

"Little mercy can be shared with them from us after that," agreed Summers, head hung low as he stared at his feet.

"What do you think, Joey?" Pincer asked, looking unhappily over to his squad mate. "I'm not too keen on killing our own."

Rivetta cast a glance back at the sound of obscenities, then chuckled at the sight of a tripped-up Glacier. This was not the first time anybody had nearly fallen in this backroom. The low light of the back room made the floor rife with dangers underfoot.

"Hmm, tough to answer those questions together, so I'll answer them separate," the red skydragon responded, dropping her head onto a balled fist thoughtfully. "I came here in search of a job where I can learn to be a shop owner. A lot of the other places were not looking for help, and fewer yet wanted to take on potential competition, I'm betting. Then I met the owner. She seemed lonely, so I wanted to help her more than the others. She taught me a lot, but I've a lot to learn. I don't have her magic touch, you see, in more ways than one. You'll see what I'm talkin' about later."

She revolved around the glass, her previous bulbous nose now shrinking back into a normal shape and size now that the distortion was no longer there.

"Regarding your first question, she's a joy to work with. I get to tease her as long as I don't go too far. She works hard, which makes me want to work hard, and has some sense of poise that -- ah, yes! There you are in all your glory!" Rivetta further commented, raising her hands in salutation toward Origin. The nature dragon looked fully embarrassed, her cheeks almost aflame.

"Riv, please, control yourself!" she cried. "I leave for a minute to help with a customer and you're teasing me again!"

"Teasing is such a rough word. It's not my fault you arrived in time for praise," Rivetta countered with a manic grin.

Origin's face turned into disgruntlement as she shooed the skydragon away, the latter running off cackling.

"Shoo! Shoo!" she called out before turning to Glacier. "I'm sorry about that. Rivetta is . . . a challenge to work with at times. Fun, yes, until she gets you into trouble." Origin gave a nasty look toward the back door where the skydragon ran off. "But I will need your help. You're strong. Perhaps you can help me carry these tomato plants and herbs to my wagon? It will save me a few trips before I make my deliveries, two in total, including Sully who you had just seen."

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Pincer felt honoured having an officer give him a salute. Back at the guard barracks he felt as if the others did not give him the time of day, but here he felt more important. Perhaps it was the weight of the mission or that the man was talking as if to him. Either way, importance flowed through him and the group, and he was happy to answer the call. Looking over the battle plans with clouded eyes, having never participated in such strategy meetings, he hoped to make these warriors and his sergeant proud. By guessing at the positioning, however, this seemed a mission of grave importance.

Defection -- a devastating word to someone in the military. By leaving the empire and joining the enemy, they hurt the war effort twofold or worse, considering they were leaking information about the outposts. Such could turn order into bloodbaths, losing ground and making the war effort that much harder. How could anyone do this, he wondered? Why not full devotion to the emperor who would lead them to freedom against the attacking hordes? He just could not understand, not as one of the battle-born.

"Yes, sir," he answered, swallowing tightly as he studied the map. "We of the Titan 5 will do as you say and do the Emperor justice with this operation."

-- -- -- -- --

Outside of the tent, the five fully convened far from the tent. Pincer and Summers spoke in hushed voices while Boreal and Mightywing spoke loudly, unable to contain their excitement.

"Our first mission!" Mightywing exclaimed, his arms folded as he looked up into the sky with mirth. "I'll be able to chop down some defectors with my gun. This was what I was hoping for. Well, the shooting part. I was kind of hoping to take on just regular enemy soldiers."
"Precious little difference now, y'all," reminded Boreal. "They have joined the enemy, so they might as well be enemies themselves. Just thinking about it boils my blood. They sold us out, and for what? Leniency? Mercy?"

"Little mercy can be shared with them from us after that," agreed Summers, head hung low as he stared at his feet.

"What do you think, Joey?" Pincer asked, looking unhappily over to his squad mate. "I'm not too keen on killing our own."
The feeling is mutual between Her and Origin. Rivetta being a happy go lucky dragon didn’t know when to quit, if she was intrested in joining the guard she’d tell her good luck with that!
Glacier sighed grumpily at the doorway in which Rivetta left through.
”Eh, it’s best to ignore her, I’m surprised you can deal with her and the belittlement from other dragons. As for the task I’d be happy to.”

Glacier grunted, lifting the plant, which was more heavy than she thought ‘how can plants be so heavy?!’
She’s used to lifting weights in the courtyard, at least this is a sort of test of her strength. The clay pot rested gently into the carts bed and both of them lifted the second one inside. The tomato plants raised higher than the carts rails with the stem and leaves shaking as it was pulled along. Glacier held the two front rails, hoisting them up and pulling the cart along.
“Whew, ok which way to the customers house?”

She asked, her muscles already protesting. The two dragons caught many eyes Glacier twisted her head away from the hateful looks from other guards. They reconized her quickily….
”Hey Glacier! Nice of you to help out with the community. You’re really showing those plants a lesson with all that training you’re always doing!”
One guard commented.

”Yeah, yeah! Is this a favor from Snapjaw? Is the old dragon becoming so soft that he has his best student helping out a Nature Dragon?”

The two guards stepped infront of the two inspecting the cart, one plucking a tomato from the vine.
”Oh good! You brought us ammunition”

The guard laughed, tossing the tomato in the air and catching it.
Glacier let the cart fall back on its front stilts.
”Gimmie that!“

The guard began playing keep away with Glacier which turned to hot potato as the two guards tossed it between one another. Then the guard torpedoed the tomato in a random direction. It impacted the back of a dragons head who then turned around, tomato juice dripping down his back.
”Why would you listen to her! I’m so sorry mister it was that damn Nature Dragon! She told her to toss it!”

This news made the dragon snort smoke as they cracked their knuckles, other dragons stepped forward too…

Joey placed his claw on Pincer’s shoulder.
”Kid, this isn’t about killing. It’s about winning this war. I don’t want to hear you say that, none of us do. You heard what he said in there.”
A click of something being pulled off his hip turned out to be a pistol pointed at Pincer’s chest.
”I know what you’re thinking in that nerdy brain of yours, you wanna be like the rest of us? Follow orders and get the mission done, we’re not guards anymore, we’re soldiers.”

The rest of the Titan 5 didn‘t intervene Boreal and Mightywing nodded in agreement then their eyes were back on Pincer. Joey’s serious expression flipped when his pistol clicked back into its holster.
”With that done, Pincer you studied the map right? Where should we head?”

Origin thought about it for a moment, stock-still next to the terrarium, then nodded. Perhaps Rivetta would be better given a silent approach, but her company would be missed, and she did not want to hurt the relationship they had already over hurt feelings. Still, she would give it some thought as they migrated outdoors laden with potfuls of plants. She tittered at Glacier's comment under her breath. Perhaps they were too heavy for the usual dragon. If not for her own natural strength as a nature dragon, with stocky arms and legs and a strong skeletal structure, she might not be able to lift one of those massive pots either, but unlike Rivetta Glacier seemed to handle the pots just fine. That was a pleasant surprise.

They were off and rolling quite quickly thanks to Glacier's shared effort, and pulling the cart was significantly easier with two as opposed to one. Origin thought that this was quite the pleasant day after all, at least until the vituperation from guards towards her helper, as well as their ever-present mischief.

Glacier was quick to take the bait, the guards tricky and very willing to start up some drama. Frowning and setting her jaw, Origin caught the eyes of some local onlookers who saw the kerfuffle and moved on with their lives, then walked up to Glacier, hoping to give her some distance from the antagonising duo.

Splotch.

The sound of a tomato striking something hard rang loud in the quieted street as it struck a male in the back. That was not too bad, but the lie targeted toward her that followed immediately thereafter was the final straw. These ne'er-do-wells needed to learn a lesson.

She could only wonder what was going through Glacier's mind right now, but worried that it might be violence. As a nature dragon, she abhorred violence.

"Glacier," she whispered, "stand down, please. Let me try to handle this."

With a deep inhale, she rose to full height and folded her arms with a huff, turning to the speaker. "And I'm here to say I did nothing of the sort. What reason would I have to hit the gentleman in the back?" She eyed a pedestrian who she knew had witnessed at least part of the scene from before. "You! Did these two not say that we brought them ammunition, fool around with my beautiful tomato, and toss it?"

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Pincer locked his jaw and looked Joey dead in the eye, temper rising up from his chest to his throat. Then he caught the click and glanced down at the gun barrel pressed against his chest. His eyes went wide.

Nothing happened except for a lecture, but the action scared the life out of him. He thought he knew Joey earlier, but this was like a new Joey to him. The others fell into agreement with him. Boreal, Mightywing -- even Summers was shaking his head yes. Guilt flowed through him, feeling quite alienated, until Joey mentioned the map.

"Uh, yes, the map," he replied, his throat raspy from the scare. "The entrance to the camp is there, so they are further out in the woods that way, miles from here down the road and right from the fork. There should be a grove."

Origin thought about it for a moment, stock-still next to the terrarium, then nodded. Perhaps Rivetta would be better given a silent approach, but her company would be missed, and she did not want to hurt the relationship they had already over hurt feelings. Still, she would give it some thought as they migrated outdoors laden with potfuls of plants. She tittered at Glacier's comment under her breath. Perhaps they were too heavy for the usual dragon. If not for her own natural strength as a nature dragon, with stocky arms and legs and a strong skeletal structure, she might not be able to lift one of those massive pots either, but unlike Rivetta Glacier seemed to handle the pots just fine. That was a pleasant surprise.

They were off and rolling quite quickly thanks to Glacier's shared effort, and pulling the cart was significantly easier with two as opposed to one. Origin thought that this was quite the pleasant day after all, at least until the vituperation from guards towards her helper, as well as their ever-present mischief.

Glacier was quick to take the bait, the guards tricky and very willing to start up some drama. Frowning and setting her jaw, Origin caught the eyes of some local onlookers who saw the kerfuffle and moved on with their lives, then walked up to Glacier, hoping to give her some distance from the antagonising duo.

Splotch.

The sound of a tomato striking something hard rang loud in the quieted street as it struck a male in the back. That was not too bad, but the lie targeted toward her that followed immediately thereafter was the final straw. These ne'er-do-wells needed to learn a lesson.

She could only wonder what was going through Glacier's mind right now, but worried that it might be violence. As a nature dragon, she abhorred violence.

"Glacier," she whispered, "stand down, please. Let me try to handle this."

With a deep inhale, she rose to full height and folded her arms with a huff, turning to the speaker. "And I'm here to say I did nothing of the sort. What reason would I have to hit the gentleman in the back?" She eyed a pedestrian who she knew had witnessed at least part of the scene from before. "You! Did these two not say that we brought them ammunition, fool around with my beautiful tomato, and toss it?"

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Pincer locked his jaw and looked Joey dead in the eye, temper rising up from his chest to his throat. Then he caught the click and glanced down at the gun barrel pressed against his chest. His eyes went wide.

Nothing happened except for a lecture, but the action scared the life out of him. He thought he knew Joey earlier, but this was like a new Joey to him. The others fell into agreement with him. Boreal, Mightywing -- even Summers was shaking his head yes. Guilt flowed through him, feeling quite alienated, until Joey mentioned the map.

"Uh, yes, the map," he replied, his throat raspy from the scare. "The entrance to the camp is there, so they are further out in the woods that way, miles from here down the road and right from the fork. There should be a grove."
Glacier stared the hostile dragon in the face. She felt his claw pinching her chin and forcing her head left and right.
“How much money did you swindle to persuade this Mountain Dragom to work for you?”

Origin’s question only gained looks to one another.
”But weren’t you the dragon who tomatoed the churches door? It was you and two other boys, I cannot remember their names..”

An older dragon blurted, rubbing his chin in thought as his memory was failing him.
Glacier wrestled out of the dragons grip giving a powerful shove to get them to back off. They came back, tossing Glacer aside to gain access to Origin. Glacier collides with the wagon and pulled herself up.
In Origin’s view the dragon plucked a tomato off the vine, staring at her. They’re much taller then the nature dragon this was used in his advantage as the tomato was squeezed, juices fell onto her forehead sliding onto her muzzle and drizzling over her eyes.

Glacier gave a sucker punch his skull ached, stunned. Glacier is punched back and an ally sent another. The mountain dragon fell over using the wagon as a crutch. She dodged out of the away just when a downward slam crashed into the cart, breaking its left wheel. Pots crashed into peices the plants now ruined….

”Lead the way.”

The Titan 5 marched on the path to their destination. Ever since Joey and Pincer’s exchange neither spoke to each other. Distant booms resembling fireworks cracked explosions much louder than the first boom. Pincer could hear the rest of the Titan 5 conversing predictably about the booms. If Pincer was too deep in his thoughts he would trip the culprit being the dulled colored scales of a dead dragon. Pincer would scurry backwards using his legs as locamotion.
When investigating the smell of rot assaulted them first. Bodies were a makeshift path everyone they found on their travel lays on their stomach..
The open battlefield, disturbed by trenches, foxholes, artillery shell crators, and the bodies…there were so many.

The rest of the Titan 5 advanced into the hell they saw before them. They conversed with each other. Pincer heard the conversation get heated by Mightywing the anger being expelled is frightening..
Pincer, who was following behind the group silently, caught a glimpse of a dragon who stuck out to him. The body in question was a dragon about the same age and innocence as Pincer. Frozen upon their face was a look of fear. Upon their chest was a circular burn wound.
Pincer would also discover the body still had their dog tag.

Glacier stared the hostile dragon in the face. She felt his claw pinching her chin and forcing her head left and right.
“How much money did you swindle to persuade this Mountain Dragom to work for you?”

Origin’s question only gained looks to one another.
”But weren’t you the dragon who tomatoed the churches door? It was you and two other boys, I cannot remember their names..”

An older dragon blurted, rubbing his chin in thought as his memory was failing him.
Glacier wrestled out of the dragons grip giving a powerful shove to get them to back off. They came back, tossing Glacer aside to gain access to Origin. Glacier collides with the wagon and pulled herself up.
In Origin’s view the dragon plucked a tomato off the vine, staring at her. They’re much taller then the nature dragon this was used in his advantage as the tomato was squeezed, juices fell onto her forehead sliding onto her muzzle and drizzling over her eyes.

Glacier gave a sucker punch his skull ached, stunned. Glacier is punched back and an ally sent another. The mountain dragon fell over using the wagon as a crutch. She dodged out of the away just when a downward slam crashed into the cart, breaking its left wheel. Pots crashed into peices the plants now ruined….

Origin stared icy daggers at the rogue guard as he assessed Glacier, holding her by the face. She did not know if they had history or anything, but she doubted it. The guard appeared to merely knew one thing and that was how to antagonise, and she would not fall for it. She would not. Or so she told herself. The gaffer's question made her drop her jaw slightly before recuperating, even as all of this cruelty was demonstrated and visible. Were the townspeople really this way?

The question was answered when the town merely stood there and watched as a tomato was juiced on her head, unapologetically, deliberately. Her stare at the guard did not drop. It intensified until tomato juice dripped into her eye, paining her.

Glacier at least came to her aid -- she could feel the slam of the punch where she stood -- but pandemonium struck thereafter. She wiped away the tomato juice and opened her good eye in time to see her wagon sag, its contents falling to the ground ruined. She cried out in alarm and rushed to her vehicle.

"My wagon! My plants!" She was livid now as she trotted up to the guard that destroyed it with shoulders straight, in full confrontation mode. She poked his chest firmly with two strong fingers. "You've ruined them with your villainy, you contemptuous oaf. I will have you and your friend pay for this or be kicked from the guard! I know your sergeant!"

”Lead the way.”

The Titan 5 marched on the path to their destination. Ever since Joey and Pincer’s exchange neither spoke to each other. Distant booms resembling fireworks cracked explosions much louder than the first boom. Pincer could hear the rest of the Titan 5 conversing predictably about the booms. If Pincer was too deep in his thoughts he would trip the culprit being the dulled colored scales of a dead dragon. Pincer would scurry backwards using his legs as locamotion.
When investigating the smell of rot assaulted them first. Bodies were a makeshift path everyone they found on their travel lays on their stomach..
The open battlefield, disturbed by trenches, foxholes, artillery shell crators, and the bodies…there were so many.

The rest of the Titan 5 advanced into the hell they saw before them. They conversed with each other. Pincer heard the conversation get heated by Mightywing the anger being expelled is frightening..
Pincer, who was following behind the group silently, caught a glimpse of a dragon who stuck out to him. The body in question was a dragon about the same age and innocence as Pincer. Frozen upon their face was a look of fear. Upon their chest was a circular burn wound.
Pincer would also discover the body still had their dog tag.

The walk was a challenge for many reasons. The confrontation with Joey was difficult for Pincer, but quickly faded after seeing the aftermath of battle. Carnage littered the ground, concentrated in some spots and scattered in others, but the pluming smell of festering rot and death nearly brought last night's dinner into the low light. Suddenly everything written on the others' faces back at camp seemed understandable. They had endured this hell for an unknowledgeable length of time.

Looking at the faces only worsened matters. Now and again, he could see the faces twisted in pain or fear. The last one . . . looked like him, a grim memento that this might be his fate if he was unwary or unlucky. The weapon that cut through him did so cleanly, cauterising the wound but killing him swiftly.

With morbid curiosity, he reached out for the dog tags, stealing a peek at the name. Private Smithers Diggedy. A shudder crossed through him. Now he had a name to haunt him too.

"Get up," Summers spoke to him, turning his head for fear of the others spying them, or worse still the enemy. "We need to keep moving, Pincer, or we may be next."

Pincer knew that he should not and could not disagree. He rose with Summers tugging him upright and they both met up with the others.

Pincer pulled out his binoculars, eyeing the shadows with one glass while keeping his other eye free, just in case. He did not see any others in the treescape with a full sweep of the arc before them.

"All clear." He swallowed hard and licked his lips, nerves frayed and fraying further. "Where should we head?"

Origin stared icy daggers at the rogue guard as he assessed Glacier, holding her by the face. She did not know if they had history or anything, but she doubted it. The guard appeared to merely knew one thing and that was how to antagonise, and she would not fall for it. She would not. Or so she told herself. The gaffer's question made her drop her jaw slightly before recuperating, even as all of this cruelty was demonstrated and visible. Were the townspeople really this way?

The question was answered when the town merely stood there and watched as a tomato was juiced on her head, unapologetically, deliberately. Her stare at the guard did not drop. It intensified until tomato juice dripped into her eye, paining her.

Glacier at least came to her aid -- she could feel the slam of the punch where she stood -- but pandemonium struck thereafter. She wiped away the tomato juice and opened her good eye in time to see her wagon sag, its contents falling to the ground ruined. She cried out in alarm and rushed to her vehicle.

"My wagon! My plants!" She was livid now as she trotted up to the guard that destroyed it with shoulders straight, in full confrontation mode. She poked his chest firmly with two strong fingers. "You've ruined them with your villainy, you contemptuous oaf. I will have you and your friend pay for this or be kicked from the guard! I know your sergeant!"

The walk was a challenge for many reasons. The confrontation with Joey was difficult for Pincer, but quickly faded after seeing the aftermath of battle. Carnage littered the ground, concentrated in some spots and scattered in others, but the pluming smell of festering rot and death nearly brought last night's dinner into the low light. Suddenly everything written on the others' faces back at camp seemed understandable. They had endured this hell for an unknowledgeable length of time.

Looking at the faces only worsened matters. Now and again, he could see the faces twisted in pain or fear. The last one . . . looked like him, a grim memento that this might be his fate if he was unwary or unlucky. The weapon that cut through him did so cleanly, cauterising the wound but killing him swiftly.

With morbid curiosity, he reached out for the dog tags, stealing a peek at the name. Private Smithers Diggedy. A shudder crossed through him. Now he had a name to haunt him too.

"Get up," Summers spoke to him, turning his head for fear of the others spying them, or worse still the enemy. "We need to keep moving, Pincer, or we may be next."

Pincer knew that he should not and could not disagree. He rose with Summers tugging him upright and they both met up with the others.

Pincer pulled out his binoculars, eyeing the shadows with one glass while keeping his other eye free, just in case. He did not see any others in the treescape with a full sweep of the arc before them.

"All clear." He swallowed hard and licked his lips, nerves frayed and fraying further. "Where should we head?"
Origin received a death stare from the opposing guard. He growled, snapping his fingers to allow Glacier to escape his friends grasp.
“It’s not worth killing a Nature Dragon anyways..”
Down within the cobblestone streets the low light made walking hard in the muddy conditions of the dungeon. Shine’s light shimmers the aura of dying torches casting onto faces of hopelessness on most of the dragons faces. Beyond the sounds of shaking chains and the slapping mud, there was music. Hums of strings plucked with long claws there were fitting notes others sounded out of place.
”Sanctus! Stop that insufferable noise, I can’t think with that mindless plucking!”
The sea of bodies spans far into the distance near the fimiliar shapes of buildings! The Titan 5 shifted from block to block the newest challenge being debris. They all tried to step quietly, Mightywing however made stealth difficult with endless crunches of glass. Wood bumped, metal clattered, the Titan 5 glared at him. Feet marched in a pained fashion, two sets of feet grunted with endless complaints.
Two enem soldiers were right on the other side of the fence!

Puffing out a sigh of relief, Origin backed down from the guard with whom she had a beef and turned to face her hand cart. The wheel had come off entirely, and with it part of the knobbly axle. The entire axle will have to be replaced, and that meant going to a craftsman to replace it, or at least tie something she came up with to make it work. Moreover, the pots were ruined. Even if she could save the plants, there was not much of a possibility of keeping them happy until they reached their destination unless . . .

She had an idea to keep them secure, but it was a bit graceless.

"Let's get going, Glacier. We'll leave the wagon and continue on foot. This may seem odd to you, but try to gather some earth around the roots and put both earth and plant on my back. I'll carry them."

Taking up a plant of her own in kind, she placed it upon her back. In a strange dance, the tomato plant seemed to sway and grow, roots integrating into her grassy shell and cementing to her. A self-conscious smile was sent Glacier's way as she reached out to a different plant to do the same. There were four tomato plants in total, and several pelargoniums that were even bushier. These common geraniums were hardy and could rest on the earth upon her arms if there was not enough room.

-- -- -- -- --

Shine turned his head to follow the plinking of strings, the intonations lovely and fine but somewhat random, as if the person were not fully practiced. This was a welcome change to the hopelessness of his surroundings and his assignment. After Glacier was punished with a new, non-guard-like assignment, and with no signs of his cousin and the others, he could only feel impugned by jail duty.

A bark came out from a neighboring jail cell, followed by the halt of the lilting tunes.

"Sorry, Merri. Couldn't help it," came the rough, mirthless voice of a chuckling dragon. Shine approached a little further, the light of his torch dancing off of the edges of the wall. The light is what probably alerted the speaker, as he continued so quietly Shine could barely hear, "Quiet, here comes the guard."

Shining light closer to the cells, Shine could spot a darker dragon with a guitar slapped across his knee, holding it by the neck with a grin upon his face. In the other, he could briefly spot Merrimac as well, the dragon black as night and impenetrably mysterious in mind. He remembered these two growing up in town, tomatoing the church door. Beyond that, their lives were a mystery to him, not having clearance to see their files.

"Good to hear music in a place like this," he spoke, tongue flicking over his teeth out of habit due to sticky, icky cafeteria food -- the faster it left his mouth, the faster he did not have to taste it. He turned to Merrimac with an inciting grin. "Care to entertain with your thoughts now that you have a clear head?"

-- -- -- -- --

Pincer froze, hugging to his leg the pack he received upon the train to refrain from making noise as they advanced. Unfortunately, Mightywing had made some level of noise. Glass snapped and debris fell, causing him to hold his breath, but neither kind of noise attracted attention. Perhaps if the enemy were close, they thought it was their own? Wait, no, he heard footfalls, the squelching of mud and the thump of solid ground. Above that, complaints. But what could they be complaining about?

"Oi, my feet are howling," one soldier spoke, grunting from holding the legged half of a corpse. A silver dog tag drooped from the neck of the fallen, a solemn reminder of the typical life and death of a soldier: you live, you die, and you remain on a battlefield. "How long, Chett, do we have to move these bodies?"

"As long as it takes, and as long as we have bodies," grunted the other. Both seemed to be running out of stamina, leaving Pincer questioning how long they have been moving bodies. "To my count, there's seven more to go."

"Augh, that's seven too many." Squelch, squelch. "I'm shocked we didn't build a mass grave. There's too many bodies out there. It'll ruin the air and we'll die of diseases in the air for sure, even if it ain't directly close to us."

"That's sacrilege to one, to the other, and our own. Would you like to be buried with your own enemy with no breathing room?"

A long pause occurred before an answer was breathed: "When you say it like that, no, no I wouldn't."

The conversation continued, trailing away. Pincer chewed on his lip. He could not tell who these individuals are, but they were carrying one of his nationals. Did that mean they were the enemy or an ally?

"What's the call?" he whispered to Joey and nearby Boreal, so low that the conversing, laden soldiers could not hear his voice over their own steps.

Boreal said nothing, defaulting to Joey's leadership but drawing a blade from a scabbard just in case. Summers merely watched afar, not hearing anything and merely going off of gesticulation.

Puffing out a sigh of relief, Origin backed down from the guard with whom she had a beef and turned to face her hand cart. The wheel had come off entirely, and with it part of the knobbly axle. The entire axle will have to be replaced, and that meant going to a craftsman to replace it, or at least tie something she came up with to make it work. Moreover, the pots were ruined. Even if she could save the plants, there was not much of a possibility of keeping them happy until they reached their destination unless . . .

She had an idea to keep them secure, but it was a bit graceless.

"Let's get going, Glacier. We'll leave the wagon and continue on foot. This may seem odd to you, but try to gather some earth around the roots and put both earth and plant on my back. I'll carry them."

Taking up a plant of her own in kind, she placed it upon her back. In a strange dance, the tomato plant seemed to sway and grow, roots integrating into her grassy shell and cementing to her. A self-conscious smile was sent Glacier's way as she reached out to a different plant to do the same. There were four tomato plants in total, and several pelargoniums that were even bushier. These common geraniums were hardy and could rest on the earth upon her arms if there was not enough room.

-- -- -- -- --

Shine turned his head to follow the plinking of strings, the intonations lovely and fine but somewhat random, as if the person were not fully practiced. This was a welcome change to the hopelessness of his surroundings and his assignment. After Glacier was punished with a new, non-guard-like assignment, and with no signs of his cousin and the others, he could only feel impugned by jail duty.

A bark came out from a neighboring jail cell, followed by the halt of the lilting tunes.

"Sorry, Merri. Couldn't help it," came the rough, mirthless voice of a chuckling dragon. Shine approached a little further, the light of his torch dancing off of the edges of the wall. The light is what probably alerted the speaker, as he continued so quietly Shine could barely hear, "Quiet, here comes the guard."

Shining light closer to the cells, Shine could spot a darker dragon with a guitar slapped across his knee, holding it by the neck with a grin upon his face. In the other, he could briefly spot Merrimac as well, the dragon black as night and impenetrably mysterious in mind. He remembered these two growing up in town, tomatoing the church door. Beyond that, their lives were a mystery to him, not having clearance to see their files.

"Good to hear music in a place like this," he spoke, tongue flicking over his teeth out of habit due to sticky, icky cafeteria food -- the faster it left his mouth, the faster he did not have to taste it. He turned to Merrimac with an inciting grin. "Care to entertain with your thoughts now that you have a clear head?"

-- -- -- -- --

Pincer froze, hugging to his leg the pack he received upon the train to refrain from making noise as they advanced. Unfortunately, Mightywing had made some level of noise. Glass snapped and debris fell, causing him to hold his breath, but neither kind of noise attracted attention. Perhaps if the enemy were close, they thought it was their own? Wait, no, he heard footfalls, the squelching of mud and the thump of solid ground. Above that, complaints. But what could they be complaining about?

"Oi, my feet are howling," one soldier spoke, grunting from holding the legged half of a corpse. A silver dog tag drooped from the neck of the fallen, a solemn reminder of the typical life and death of a soldier: you live, you die, and you remain on a battlefield. "How long, Chett, do we have to move these bodies?"

"As long as it takes, and as long as we have bodies," grunted the other. Both seemed to be running out of stamina, leaving Pincer questioning how long they have been moving bodies. "To my count, there's seven more to go."

"Augh, that's seven too many." Squelch, squelch. "I'm shocked we didn't build a mass grave. There's too many bodies out there. It'll ruin the air and we'll die of diseases in the air for sure, even if it ain't directly close to us."

"That's sacrilege to one, to the other, and our own. Would you like to be buried with your own enemy with no breathing room?"

A long pause occurred before an answer was breathed: "When you say it like that, no, no I wouldn't."

The conversation continued, trailing away. Pincer chewed on his lip. He could not tell who these individuals are, but they were carrying one of his nationals. Did that mean they were the enemy or an ally?

"What's the call?" he whispered to Joey and nearby Boreal, so low that the conversing, laden soldiers could not hear his voice over their own steps.

Boreal said nothing, defaulting to Joey's leadership but drawing a blade from a scabbard just in case. Summers merely watched afar, not hearing anything and merely going off of gesticulation.
Glacier bent her back bracing her hands until a loud crack sounded from her spine, sweet relief followed.
The dispersing crowd left some breathing room. While Origin attached plants to her roots stragglers glanced back to take a second look.
Glacier assisted Origin, akwardly scooping earth and building it onto Origin’s body like a dirt bath. She watched the roots move like a hive mind strangling the fresh earth and cementing the plant onto her back.
“You Nature Dragon’s are surprising. All I heard about your kind is you garden day in and day out.“
She packed the last pile of dirt onto Origin and let her roots cement the plant onto her.
Soon they’re walking, Origin’s tomato plants swayed and bounced during each step. On her muzzle the stains of tomato juice.
”Hey, listen, I apologize about your cart. I can’t let something like that go without doing something! I’m supposed to be the tough one! If I show a shred of weakness what kind of guard would I be.”
————————————————————————————————
Merri met both of the dragons eyes on him.
“If Sanctus didn’t get us caught we wouldn’t be here. The kid is useless, and I’m trying to teach him how not to get himself killed. I’m the only one he has. Though I have thoughts of leaving him for dead because of that damn plucking!”

Merrimac’s voice raised into an echo throughout the chamber. The dragon named Sanctus didn’t seem too bothered by Merri’s words.
————————————————————————————————
Joey poked up seeing the guards as specks in the distance.
“coast is clear. Pincer, cross the road we’ll cover you. Boreal you’ll be next, then I’ll signal to the rest of you.“
Across the street, Pincer entered another backyard this time with a playground. The house it belong to collapsed in on itself the second floor invaded the ground floor. Pincer’s scouting lead him to spot a figure dart by. Pincer’s heart would skip a beat, as the stranger’s eyes faces him. They began to sprint tripping on nothing but kept running.
Pincer, if he followed, heard the figure shouting and yelling.
”They’re here! HEEEEEELP!”

The dragon failed to see Pincer deliver a tackle to them. The enemy scout kicked Pincer’s face multiple times to get him to release.
As defense, the scout swiped a knife at Pincer’s chest, who grabbed their hands but fell backwards due to the momentum. Pincer has a sharp blade aimed towards his heart!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back