• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Living Grimoires (Gods, Cards, Adventures?)

Tzun

Lord of the Dreadfort
So, I have attempted an RP similar to this on another forum, in another time, and decided that I'd like to revamp it.

The premise of the rp is that each player has a God. They themselves are some of the most prominent and powerful worshippers (Though some may not have a God per se - they use the general forces of the world, and manipulate them for combat and utility.). The Gods grant unto them a Living Grimoire and an avatar of the God, called a Fetish. Living Grimoires are tomes that are given to the Worshippers as a way for them to carry out the deeds and wants of their God. These Living Grimoires change rapidly between spells used, and can be very random. Pages of the tomes are categorized into ranks depending upon their power and utility. The Fetish granted to the players come in several different forms, some are totems, some are spiritual beasts, some demons, some angels. It varies upon who is worshipped. These Fetishes aid the player in battle, and are used as the conduit or talisman for using spells. They also vary upon maximum health, granted powers, tenets of worshippers, and more.

You, as the player, would adventure through the world, and seek out a way to uncover the grand mystery of your God. This is done through accomplishing their deeds, and assisting in the recovery of ancient artifacts, restoration of specific holy sites, crusading, or destroying rival occultists and tearing down other Gods.

Some, even though they have differing Gods, put differences aside, and wish only to do right for their God, teaming together to vanquish beasts of old and finding a common benefactor.

Others, however, found a new way to gamble. Soon, organized duels arose, and with it, the riches of powerful and lucky worshippers. Duels are extremely common, and a good source of both practice and fame.

Those who do not have a God, use common spells, non specific to any one Fetish to be cast, and use a general talisman. These are merely called Mages. Mages seek out their own interests throughout the world, and may use the spells to accomplish their own goals instead, or may still take part in the practice of dueling, if they dare to do so without a Fetish.

With this rp, I plan to make many many cards and Fetishes, giving players a lot of diversity in battle and conquest.

There will be a form of 'quest' system as well, which allows for all players to be granted divine revelations and informed of new holy conquests within a custom built and rather large world. It should never get boring.

The system with ranks for cards and a percentile die is clever, and works out well enough, letting players be a little more strategic with their actions. So, let me throw out the idea I had as far as this goes, seeing as how I've tried to make several rps akin to this in the past, I've thought about it a lot.

Any instance of the word "tome" refers to deck. A card was used as a "page" of the tome. The Living Grimoires, they were called, and would randomly chance to certain page sets, and only of those pages could the player cast spells. All card actions are considered spells, but are broken into different categories, such as traditional -casting-, -summoning-, -ritual-, -sacrifice-, and more.

U (No percentile to roll, gotten and played first turn, this is the player's unique avatar. Does not count as being in the tome.)

M (Special cards that have a very powerful ability. 1 allowed per tome.)99-100 2%

A 86-98 13% (4 allowed per tome.)

B 71-85 15% (5 allowed per tome.)

C 51-70 20% (10 allowed per tome.)

D 31-50 20% (10 allowed per tome.)

E 1-30 30% (20 per tome.)

The player rolls a percentile die, and is allowed to choose a card from that ranking. All cards are available to see for all players, but there is no "luck of the draw" on "luck of the dice" for a chance for things to go right, but still that chance to be strategic with what you have available to you.

A limit of 3 cards in hand is allowed. Players can play cards immediately as drawn, or keep them. Cards that are drawn and not played immediately if a hand is full, are burned. Players can then continue with their turn. But, if the player draws a card that they wish to 'script', they put a card back into their tome, and exchange it with the one that was just drawn.

Players started with a total of X hp, and could not go past their limit unless a card specified otherwise. The X hp is governed by the Fetish.

Only one card is player per turn per player, unless another card says otherwise, such as the -chain- effect.

A turn is whenever a singular player is at least -able- to take an action, but does not have to.

A round on the other hand, is when it is your action once more, ie, you take a turn, and all other players take a turn, then it is your turn once more. That is a round.

Players would choose who they were attacking, the player's Fetish or one of the player's summons.

There were 2 different 'rp' threads. One was for the GM's and players to choose what they cast, and at who, and different thread, where the rp would take place. Examples

RP Thread

P1: I flip frantically through the pages of the tome that have been revealed to me, my avatar smashes its fists on the ground, tremors of power shake the battlefield. Until finally, I find just the page. A lightning bolt to lower the defenses of his line.

I raise my grimoire into the air, and allow the storms to rise and brew from my book, darkening the arena to almost a pitch black. All are buffeted by winds, yet they are resistible, unlike the electric smell that looms all around us. Finally, in a brilliant flash of lights, the clouds vanish into nothing, and a smoldering ash is left on the ground where a man in full armor once stood.

Duel Thread

P1: (Rolls a 47) I choose my lightning bolt cast from Rank D, and use it on P2's Mortal Knight.

Player Killing IS ALLOWED. Though, this needs to be discussed with both the GM and the other player. It needs to be premeditated and reciprocated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is still an obvious work in progress, and will involve at least 3 GMs to act as Gods and moderators in the duel threads. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! Especially if you're interested in being either a God or a player. Thank you very much!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fetish Template - http://imgur.com/86SMwTB

Tome Page Template - http://imgur.com/9clfwdl

Nope not at all, what you wrote seems to be very straight forward. All the questions I had prior where all answered through out the post except one. When I saw card, then God, I was hoping to use a god I know. Though if I say it now it might get stolen :( ahahh, but I need to run it by you too.

I would like to join. I was wondering about how the Xhp would be effected if the player had no Fetish and was just a Mage.

Well awesome! I'll certainly get to work on that then! And for a mage it would be a standard 60 because they have no additional powers. This is the largest hp pool.

Maybe the player always has X hp which adds onto the Fetish's hp. A mage is stuck with badic HP. What do you think? Since humans are only to durable.

They would still have a talisman that takes the damage. But not associated with a God.

Is there anyone here that is planning on being a GM? Or is everyone a player?

I would be up for gming, but haven't really assumed such a role in an rp as of yet just so you know. I'm fine with either honestly.

Well, if you're interested in gming all you would have to do is support card production watch duels to make sure it goes right. Nothing overly demanding.

Awesomeness. If you send me a pm we can go over card production and gameplay.

New cards are made with my card templates, the gms that help with production just model the template in text and I copy it over and fit it to the card.

If anyone has an inquiries about the Gods, types of cards, gameplay, anything, please feel free to ask. More than likely, there's something I haven't thought of, and you bringing it up will helo me advance this process!

Alright, so, we have 2 GMs set up now and cards are well on their way with some extremely unique mechanics being thrown into the mix. Could I get a response from all those that are planning to play still so I can gauge the work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back