• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic The Limbo Principle

Hextremus

Beyblade Enthusiast
THE LIMBO PRINCIPLE
-HUMANITY IS STATIONARY, UNABLE TO ADVANCE IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY-

9_fipg60IfX45tXOfwRPBbIINZizLbBOSLLerUjOGpInFZJzhmV-rcFSabphVMKrjkgdx_qHOOO76r6pTdOjGjkZerdQTpsbt-M075Fb2se19sQmyzVuULBM9oDJ0w8O0Szh-AhL

• "Humanity has stagnated. Any old fool can make such a statement, and many have in the past. However, a statement of this magnitude requires proof to support it. Such proof has been limited or trivial in the past compared to technological advances and expanded knowledge of our planet, but I am fortunate enough (or, perhaps, unfortunate enough) to live in a time where I can indeed provide proof that humanity has stagnated.

The average distance from Earth to space is considered to be 62 miles, or roughly 100 kilometres. To compare; humanity's tallest structure, the Burj Khalifa, reached a height of 0.516 miles, or 0.83 kilometres. Of course, such land-based structures are now few and far between, but it provides a limit of how far our ancestors could live off the ground.

As of today, the second of July 2407, humanity lives 20 miles, or roughly 32 kilometres above the surface, able to do so due to the Havens, our floating cities.

Humans have lived this way for approximately 89 years as of the writing of this paper. Advances in many fields such as technology and medicine have been limited for longer than this, and studies of our planet ceased after the Great Exodus due to pollution and destruction of the planet's surface and the extinction of almost all organic life.

As a result of the sudden exodus to the skies and the damage wrought on the surface, it is evident that advancements have halted. Humanity is in limbo, not only in regards to technology and other such fields but also in where we are now forced to live; suspended between land and space, lacking the technology to fix the former or to step into the latter, unable to advance.

As such, I propose the Limbo Principle. It is a truth that cannot be denied; humanity, suspended in limbo, has stagnated."​

~ Excerpt from 'The Stagnation of Homo Sapiens' by Arthur Wing.

Colour me intrigued!

Do we all need to be literal 'dirty misfits' as in slum people or can our characters not be street children (within reason of course). Also does this setting assume that humanity has not been able to colonize any of the other planets in the solar system as of yet?

Colour me intrigued!

Do we all need to be literal 'dirty misfits' as in slum people or can our characters not be street children (within reason of course). Also does this setting assume that humanity has not been able to colonize any of the other planets in the solar system as of yet?

Bad choice of words from me I guess lol, no the characters don't have to be actual 'dirty misfits'. Just a placeholder I didn't remove cause I couldn't figure out what to put instead, sorry for the confusion. You can take your pick from basically whatever you want (within reason) , no need to be a dirty misfit.

The setting does assume that, yes. Humanity is stuck in limbo as it cannot make the surface habitable again, but also cannot advance and colonise space.

Bad choice of words from me I guess lol, no the characters don't have to be actual 'dirty misfits'. Just a placeholder I didn't remove cause I couldn't figure out what to put instead, sorry for the confusion. You can take your pick from basically whatever you want (within reason) , no need to be a dirty misfit.

The setting does assume that, yes. Humanity is stuck in limbo as it cannot make the surface habitable again, but also cannot advance and colonise space.

Cool cool, I don't think it's a bad choice :D it flows very well with what is written, but since you're writing to set the RP figured I should clarify ^^! I'll hang around till this get's more attention =3

Cool cool, I don't think it's a bad choice :D it flows very well with what is written, but since you're writing to set the RP figured I should clarify ^^! I'll hang around till this get's more attention =3

Cheers, man! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for this since I've been working on it for a while, so thanks for hanging around : )

You’ve caught yourself another interested party friend, already have a character in mind. Out of curiosity, are their a lot of airships or planes buzzing about between these Havens? I was hoping to perhaps create a pilot character.

Thank you all for showing interest! This just became my most successful RP on this website (in terms of attention lol) so thank you for validating this dumb idea that I didn't think would get any traction. You're all real lads : )

Since we have 7 people now, I can get cracking on the RP proper. Would you guys prefer an OOC thread or a Discord server?

You’ve caught yourself another interested party friend, already have a character in mind. Out of curiosity, are their a lot of airships or planes buzzing about between these Havens? I was hoping to perhaps create a pilot character.

There are probably plenty of supply ships and transportation going around the Havens, I imagine the Havens as functioning similar to current day countries with trading and tourism going on between them all. Except, y'know, in the sky. Do keep in mind that due to the heightened tensions after the accidents, there are more restrictions and suspicion placed on pilots and their ships by most Havens.

Would you guys prefer an OOC thread or a Discord server?
Either is fine with me, but I tend to be much more responsive on Discord.
There are probably plenty of supply ships and transportation going around the Havens, I imagine the Havens as functioning similar to current day countries with trading and tourism going on between them all. Except, y'know, in the sky. Do keep in mind that due to the heightened tensions after the accidents, there are more restrictions and suspicion placed on pilots and their ships by most Havens.
How many Havens are there in total?

I'm fine with discord or ooc :D speaking of the 'accidents' will we get to know what exactly happened early on (at least the official statement not necessarily the truth)?

How many Havens are there in total?

Honestly something I haven't given a whole load of thought yet (thanks for exposing me lol) but I'd say between 20-30, maaayyyyyyybe a little upwards of 30. Making a Haven is obviously very material and labour intensive so not a large amount were made before the Great Exodus, but people were desperate so they were able to make a pretty good amount. Lots of people were also left behind on the surface, and you can find some Haven ruins on the ground that were never completed in time. I'll gladly take any input on the number of Havens if you lads think my numbers aren't great, since it's an area I'm still kinda iffy on tbh.

Like I said before, I'll make a Lore tab and place all sorts of assorted stuff in it, including more details on the Havens like leadership and alliances, whatnot.

I'm fine with discord or ooc :D speaking of the 'accidents' will we get to know what exactly happened early on (at least the official statement not necessarily the truth)?

That's a yes. The characters will shown basically what the 'accidents' are as in straight up what happened and what's similar between them rather early on. Of course, however, I didn't tag this as Mystery for no reason. The big question here is whyyyyy

Please no Discord x.x
Hoo boy XD

I'll gladly take any input on the number of Havens if you lads think my numbers aren't great, since it's an area I'm still kinda iffy on tbh.
~30 sounds reasonable. I'll wait on the lore tabs before asking any more tech-related questions.

Aight, the plan right now is to make an OOC thread and get started on a Lore thread. Unfortunately I am out for brunch right now and doing things on mobile is the actual definition of suffering, so I'll start work once I get home. Sorry for the delay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back