Opinion The Elite OC-Only Rpers (Why even argue?)

Phantom Thief of Hearts

We live in the Metal Gear timeline
I'm just gonna say in advance let's keep this topic civil and friendly.

So, I've noticed that a lot of the threads in this section of the site tend to harbor a lot of people who tend to have a high and mighty view of themselves for exclusively roleplaying their own original characters. While I'm fine if they don't like fandom roleplays (as it's within their right to not like it) I am not fine with them belittling those who do. I am all for criticism on people's posts or writing style but I draw the line when people try to make it a moral issue or some unrelated BS.

Also Mods, I'm sorry in advance if this thread sparks some headaches for you.

To expound on my point, during a time of dire crisis like what the world is facing right now... Let people have their fun as long as it doesn't go against TOS.

Ah, I see, it's okay. Personally I don't see the issue that you presented. If you're referring to some people in the rant threads, well, it's a rant thread, and some people might not have the best way with words. Unlike the Mary-Sue-hate trend, I don't think this is something that will shift future trends.

Ah, I see, it's okay. Personally I don't see the issue that you presented. If you're referring to some people in the rant threads, well, it's a rant thread, and some people might not have the best way with words. Unlike the Mary-Sue-hate trend, I don't think this is something that will shift future trends.
Feel free to disagree. I was hoping for a civil conversation anyways.

Haha! Good one!

I think everything will be alright as long as no one goes to the Forum Suggestions and tells the mods to abolish the Fandom section because of petty stuff like this. Under the ridiculously unlikely scenario that it happens and succeeds, I'll be drifting, again.

Can it happen on other forums? Oh, you should see the places where I've been. There were people actively asking for certain types of RPs to be banned because they were oversaturated, so anything's game at this point. The very same site even established 'Advanced Clause'. It was an era of complete and utter bullshit and everyone was glad that it was gone.

But back on topic. it's an ancient thing, and I have seen the reverse happen because to certain others, original characters are the cringe and established characters are the based. I've seen people play one, play both, or vehemently refuse to play the other.

Can we stop this? No. Can we coexist with them? Absolutely not.

I mean uh... yes, yes we can.

Wondering if this has anything to do with my recent request thread. lol

Please keep the discussion as general as possible and do not point at any specific users or threads, no matter how much you want to know whether it's related to you or someone else. Thank you!

^sure thing, boss ;-)

Anyhow, I'm actually not sure what Phantom Thief of Hearts Phantom Thief of Hearts is talking about. I personally don't see a rampant hate of generalized fandom RPers going on in topics all over the place... or any place for that matter. Though to be fair, we might not be in the same conversations.

Edit: But as someone who only does OC's for their roleplays, I can tell you that I do it simply because I really don't follow a lot of fandoms. Even some of the fandoms I DO follow, I don't know enough about to play as the characters. Like, I'll use the world as a backdrop, but still want original characters. I just think it's a lot of expectation to fall into playing as some premade character. Firstly, its someone else's creation. I doubt I could mime it right and do it justice. It's also just not something that appeals to me... like, at all. But mostly, I just don't know anything about most fandoms. Naruto who? Bleach? Yeah, I clean my house... or did you mean the Nirvana album?

Last edited:
Question though... how is it a moral issue?
Because it's someone else's intellectual property? Because unless they are profiting off of it, there's no moral upset. If anything, it is likely a compliment to the creator. "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery", and all that jazz.

I think it's funny that y'all were even worried about that. Like.... I'd say an easy half (if not more) of the reqs are fandom. Why would the site kill half their traffick?

I never did. I was speaking in theoretics. RPN was always made for a wide audience. What they allow today will likely be allowed for the rest of the forum's lifespan.

You ask that, but not every site thinks traffic as priority. Some people have specific roleplaying preferences and want to make entire forums conform to those preferences in a flash. They want to make sure every roleplay is singleminded and uses only one style and go one direction. There were protests, people left, and it was eventually abolished because of this.

I never did. I was speaking in theoretics. RPN was always made for a wide audience. What they allow today will likely be allowed for the rest of the forum's lifespan.

You ask that, but not every site thinks traffic as priority. Some people have specific roleplaying preferences and want to make entire forums conform to those preferences in a flash. They want to make sure every roleplay is singleminded and uses only one style and go one direction.
unless these people run the site... fuck em'. lol And if they DO run the site... well, they're shooting themselves in the foot. RP is finnicky enough without constricting people's options. There are plenty of ponds for the fish. Why be the smallest pond?

I do not see the issue referred to either. And whilst I do prefer OCs, and will continue to, I will not really actively follow you and confront you for your choice not to use OCs. I would also think most people wouldn't. The site has always been a place for fandoms to do their thing, for people to request their preferences. If there's an issue that no one is aware of, then highlight it please.

I do not see the issue referred to either. And whilst I do prefer OCs, and will continue to, I will not really actively follow you and confront you for your choice not to use OCs. I would also think most people wouldn't. The site has always been a place for fandoms to do their thing, for people to request their preferences. If there's an issue that no one is aware of, then highlight it please.
Admin already told em' they couldn't. lol

Malphaestus Malphaestus yeah, and already a bunch of peeps that chided in are confused as to what they're talking about. Present company included.

Like... where, bruh? lol

I won't make an issue out of it. If they have seen something, I trust that they were sensible in their judgement.

It's whatevs. But I feel like it's needlessly stirring the pot. And especially leaving people who only RP as OCs wondering if they said something wrong at some point. I mean, I've been called an elitist on other sites (most recently Discord) for different reasons... so I'm always a little wary of someone else making another poke at me for it.

Last edited:
As someone typically sequestered in their own corner of the site, I have to say the vast, vast majority of users seem to prefer fandom RPs and I don't really see anyone judging them for that?
I mean I might have been passive-aggressively snide about it like ten years ago but I think now, in this subforum especially, no one really cares? We're all try-hards in RP DIscussion too enamoured of our brilliant original ideas to think about what the people who prefer fandom RPs are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back