• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Devil's Meridian (Closed)

On the Archangel, well over an hour had passed before Kortova emerged from her quarters, having finally quelled her body's immediate needs, at least to the point that she could function. The idol's insidious effect remained in her, and if she had planned to rest afterwards, it was no use, as she found the whole effort sinfully invigorating instead of relaxing, despite the relief it brought. After a hot shower and a change of clothes, the crew would be wholly unaware of the lewd circumstances she had inflicted on herself, aside from maybe the few vanguards that had experienced the third chamber to a lesser extent themselves. Experimentally, Kortova allowed herself to look at the faces she passed in the ship's passages, and although she continued to find every one of them alluring to the point of desire, she thankfully no longer felt an unnatural surge of arousal as she had upon leaving the ruins. Still, she didn't dare allow them to touch her, and made sure to step wide around them as she walked.

Perhaps, with time, she would return to normal. She continued to curse the idol in her thoughts as she went to the bridge. It was already around 4PM, meaning that there was time left for further exploration, but the sun would soon be setting. Given the enormity of their discovery within the bowl's complex, Kortova considered allowing the teams to continue beyond nightfall, especially since they had not encountered any dangerous creatures on either island so far. Another entire day was available to them, but what if they ran out of time before the Commodore called for their departure? Perhaps there was some clue as to what lay beyond the locked doors or how to open them. And, if nothing else, perhaps there was still treasure here, yet to be discovered.

---
The Alamannian researchers were falling all over themselves trying to escape the embalming room, with Kuromaki especially dismayed as she was especially harried by the dozens of rats which had appeared from seemingly nowhere. Although she managed to kick one or two off of her boots as they scrambled back into the hall, several had already sunk their giant teeth into her leg right through her stockings, leaving bloody wounds that spurted blood onto the ancient stone. One of the researchers had taken a serious gash to the neck and collapsed, and although they tried to drag him further up the hall, the rats swarmed his body in an utter frenzy as soon as the blood began to pool around him. The Shinjuku woman grabbed the bandages of her own neck and remembered the horror of yesterday, and unable to face the mutilation of her comrade, broke and ran.

The other researchers did the same, and nearly reached the first chamber just before the exit corridor when the scampering rodents caught up to them once more. Several more bites caused them to stumble and cry out in pain, until finally, Kuromaki herself collapsed from the shooting lightning bolts of agony in her hips and lower back. The researchers stomped and kicked at the rats which pounced on her, but it was all too much. They were beginning to bite her face now and tear at her cheeks and ears. By the time the rats were finally repelled so that they could return to their feast of the fallen researcher further up the hall, Kuromaki was completely unconscious and bleeding out. The researchers set to work bandaging and stitching what they could, but in the end, they could do nothing but pray for the unfortunate woman as they carried her out of the tomb, back toward the Terror.

Miraculously, Kuromaki would survive the encounter.

Elsewhere, Flint and his team prepared to enact their plan to kill the monstrous eel and open the sarcophagus in the lower chamber. They crowded around the shaft, gave each other a nervous look, and then lit the fuse on the first stick of dynamite. The bomb fell into the darkened shaft below, hitting the water with a splash. Thankfully, the fuse was a weatherproof type which still burned even under the surface, and a moment later, there was a boom and loud splash. The fresh volunteer quickly climbed down the ladder with the trench gun slung over his shoulder until he reached the point at which the ladder narrowed to a single rope. There, he put his arm through the last hole formed by the rungs and caught the rope around his elbow, bracing himself as he lit a match and then the fuse of the second stick of dynamite. The glowing fins of the eel circled in the far corner of the room in a panic, and that was exactly where he tried to throw the next explosive.

Except, to his extreme misfortune, his grip on the ropes slipped badly and he wound up throwing the stick upwards, so that it hit the ceiling of the room and dropped straight down instead. In the panic that ensued, the volunteer fell off the ladder and toward the surface of the water, and Flint and the men above could hear his shrill cry just before the second boom. He was killed instantly, and his trench gun was destroyed in the process. Given that their plan had gone so seriously awry, Flint and his men took the moment to reconsider their next move.

---
As Meinhardt and Warren trotted along the shore of Island II, the Commander suddenly stopped to show the Commodore his souvenir from the ominous dream he had mentioned. Detlev, who had followed along as well, leaned in with curiosity and was the first to speak. "Fascinating, again with these dream trinkets..."

"Indeed," Meinhard said. "Mr. Detlev, do you think this item has any potential to harm Commander Warren?"

The chief researcher shook his head with a smile. "Not at all. For once, I believe I know exactly what we're looking at here."

"Oh?"

Detlev turned to Warren. "Sir, you said that looking through the glass allowed you to see the 'skull-faced' people as living. In our preparations for this voyage we concentrated on a few different types of common artifacts, like aetherine glass, godly icons and the like... Crystal balls aren't uncommon here, and they serve a few documented purposes. I know I read somewhere that an item similar to this was once found on Greater Altanis, and that using it to look upon the dead gave the viewer a vague impression of how they appeared in life."

"Seeing skulls is usually a sign of evil, though," Meinhardt mused. "Shouldn't we be concerned, given the contents of his dreams?"

Detlev gave the Commodore a strange look. "I've been thinking, sir, over what we've been researching, and something doesn't quite sit right with me. If you look a living person through aetherine, they appear ghostly and skeletal. Aetherine, as we know, is an adapted - well, now I suppose we can call it enchanted - form of aetherite, which in all references we've discovered throughout Altanis is the literal source of all life, or so they thought..."

"Mr. Detlev, please get to the point," Meinhardt coaxed.

The researcher chuckled. "Right, sorry. If we're looking through glass that's been charged with the energy of life, then why do we see the image of death? Maybe, it's because these 'skull faces' signify more than just death and necromancy, sir, and we've just lacked the imagination to consider it until now."

"Then what else could we be seeing?"

Detlev glanced away for a moment, as if reluctant to say what was truly on his mind, as it was highly unscientific. He then sighed and gave a smile. "...The soul?"

Meinhardt's eyes went wide. "That's... quite the theory, Mr. Detlev. But I'm afraid we've stumbled onto a topic we'll need to discuss at length later. Besides, the Commander also told us that he saw black aetherine glass in the same dream. That, I believe, is unambiguous. For now though, I'm satisfied that this crystal ball is safe for the Commander to carry and use at his discretion. Shall we move on to the aetherite?"

Soon, the group came upon the stele that Warren had discovered the night before, and both the Commodore and his chief researcher gawked at the large size of the stone. "Well, that's a beautiful mineral, alright," Meinhardt remarked as they approached it. "Those inscriptions are going to need to be transferred onto parchment. You have charcoal, don't you Mr. Detlev?"

"Always, sir."

"Good, let's get it done. Commander Warren, you mentioned seeing 'fire' about this stone before. Do you see it now?"

Warren gazed at the azure colored rock at the tip of the stele and nodded. There were bluish flames engulfing it that the Commodore, like everyone else, couldn't see. "Yes sir, they rise about six inches above the stone."

Meinhardt nodded hesitantly. He reached out with a gloved hand and held it directly in the invisible flames. To Warren, it appeared as if the flames were harmlessly redirected around an inert object. After a moment, the Commodore pulled his hand back and asked the Commander to do the same. When Warren placed his hand near the flames, he felt a soothing warmness, the same sensation he received when he encountered Merphrau the previous night. Additionally, the flames curved and began to circle his hand slowly in a ring-like fashion, and as he turned his hand over, he watched the ring rotate, almost as if he were controlling it. "What do you see?" Meinhardt asked.

"It's warm," Warren replied, "and the fire is reacting to my hand. It didn't do anything when you reached into it."

"I didn't feel anything, either," Meinhardt replied. He was quiet and thoughtful for a moment. "Commander, I don't doubt that you're having these sensations, or that you had an encounter of the supernatural variety last night. This sea has proven itself as wildly detached from the reality we know as its reputation hinted at, and while I'm sure we would enjoy studying such a large and pristine aetherite stone on the Nixe, that creature, Merphrau, may truly have been a god and wished for you to hold these powers. I think you should take the stone with you and experiment. Detlev and I will undoubtedly find more samples on our own time."

Detlev cleared his throat as he stood up from the ground, having finished copying the engravings onto his parchment. "While I don't object to Commander Warren taking the stone, sir, I am concerned about the fact that this was not a natural find. Given the curses we've already seen inflicted on some members of the expedition, it might not be prudent to go prying this rock out of the stele."

"That's a good point. Commander, it's up to you what you want to do from here." Then, suddenly, he looked a bit amused. "Maybe you should just take the whole monument with you."

Detlev gave a lighthearted chuckle. "That might actually be a good idea," he said.

---
For a time, Dr. Dos Santos sat and waited for a response to her impromptu prayer. Nothing happened. Sighing, she returned to her work, although she was unlikely to produce any breakthrough discovery in the waning hours of the day.

Far away on the accursed Island III, Alvarado's team had just encountered a massive, gooey creature with thick tentacle-like appendages which was apparently a denizen of the ancient mine shaft they had discovered. After swiping the captain and two of his men off their feet, a battle took shape. The Platense sailors opened fire with their guns, and although the volley at first didn't seem to affect the nearly-liquid beast, it suddenly flopped from the roof of the cave onto the floor and twitched erratically. Encouraged, the other sailors poured into the cave chamber and contributed to the barrage, and although the creature began to lunge toward them, it stopped, writhed a bit, and then rolled onto what they could only theorize was its back, as spurts of foamy white and blue liquid shot out of the numerous holes the explorers had put into its body. Its tentacles went slack around it as it died silently. No one was seriously hurt in the encounter.

Now able to inspect the faint blue glow they had seen before, they crawled up a slope in the ground to a point where the cave changed directions and went downwards once more, and there, they were met with an incredible sight: the shimmering, crystalline rock known as aetherite in its raw form- in what was probably thousands of pounds of abundance. Some patches glowed much brighter than others, but nonetheless, it was breathtaking as a whole.

---
Due to the extreme care that was taken in moving the books, they did not arrive at the Prophet until roughly 5PM in the evening. Not a single tome was lost, and they were placed in a safe and clean laboratory setting for further examination later. Captain Dobbs paid another visit to the statue of Astrius and gave thanks for the research material, but felt foolish when he didn't receive a reply. However, upon leaving the plinth, he had an odd, strong suspicion pass through him. It was a feeling of seemliness, perhaps an assurance that he had done no wrong by taking the books.

The sun now hung low over the sea and turned the islands golden. For some, fortunes had been great and illustrious, while others were dying in infamy, blown apart by their own bombs or eaten alive by carnivorous rats. To Dobbs, there seemed to be so much more to discover than time would permit. There was enough for one more probing of the island before dark, and then he would have only a day to finish his business in the Ossuary Islands.

The research team aboard the Prophet were heightened with activity now that all the books had been successfully transported onto the vessel itself. Within the laboratories themselves, Lonstray sought to organize the materials based on their size and length in order to guess their importance and contents. Certain categories were easier to discern than others, such as smaller manuscripts and pamphlets from the larger tomes. And further along the tomes were separated based seemingly on content with those having more illustrations being put in their own section while those with more writing and dialogue placed in another. Lonstray wasted no time in beginning his team's research into these books, with the first order of business being to attempt to crack the Altanic language. And with so much material to go through, they had plenty opportunity to do so.

Dobbs meanwhile, while pleased with what had been uncovered, was also beginning to realize how pressed for time he was. The Prophet hadn't even touched Island VIII due to the sheer amount of discoveries made on Island VII, and so decided that after one last expedition onto the academic island, he would then divert a full day to Island VIII to see what was on there. And so, he brought his sailors with him on a skiff back to the expeditionary camp and set out back to the Academy to see if there was any other structures to find in the compound.

"Parker!" one of the sailors cried out as their comrade fell into a water. After the terrifying scream and the following explosion, there was no doubt that Parker had died instantly. The men were now becoming fearful, their already daring plan had failed in such a awful fashion at the cost of their compatriot. As they looked to Flint, he was already walking past them, grabbing their remaining trench gun out of the hands of a sailor. Rourke reached out to dissuade his captain, but the situation was so gripping that he could not even muster a word in protest. Flint slung the gun over his back and began his descent.

As he climbed down the shaft into that watery grave, he could not even believe himself. The plan had been ridiculous to even suggest, and he knew that. But why then did they go through with it? It felt so foreign to him to even suggest it, but something compelled him to act. Something in the back of his mind. He could not say what it was, as his mind was racing, loosing the reigns on his judgement. But there was something about that sarcophagus. Something that had entangled itself around him and beckoned him with an eldritch pull. Gods be damned! Parkers death had been wholly in vain.

He should have done it himself to begin with.

As he reached the bottom of the ladder, he could see the pool of blood that was the former sailor, parts of his uniform and trench gun bobbing in the water like a stew out of hell. The dynamite that Parker had dropped had agitated the eel creature further, as Flint could see it swimming erratically in the other end of the room. He took the gun from his back and the flashlight from his belt, holding them over his head as he jumped into the crimson water. The water had risen notably since the first time he jumped, and as he bent his knees on impact it reached all the way up to his chin. In the dim light of the lantern he waded towards that taunting coffin. Scrambling onto the lid, he turned towards the beast, his gun and light at the ready.

"I'M HERE, YOU SON OF A BITCH! COME AND GET ME!" he shout like a man possessed as he steadied his hands with an iron grip, looking at the glowing fins in the distance with what felt like hell's fury.

Last edited:
Warren eyed the stone monument. It didn't seem all that large, really. Perhaps they seriously could take it with them? Better to do that than take the rock and risk a curse. "...Maybe we could take the monument. How heavy do you think it is?" he finally asked, a serious expression on his face. He then turned towards the dune they had walked over, and whistled. Monroe, the scout, came running. "Yes, sir?" he asked promptly, to which Warren motioned back towards the camp. "Gather some of the men over here. I want to see if we can move the whole monument. If we can, perhaps we can bring it back to the ship."

Monroe raised an eyebrow, looking at the monument then back to Warren. "Uhm...Aye, sir." he responded after a little hesitation. He then turned about, scaling the dune again and moving quickly back towards the camp. "I still wonder what it was that she granted me..." he thought aloud, eyeing the stone atop the monument once more. Watching the blue flames waver for a few moments. Winged mermaid...goddess of the oceans. He turned and glanced towards the sea behind him, as the waves washed up onto the shore. No mutations, so he wasn't turning into a fish or anything. He pondered the possibilities for a few minutes, before some soldiers began to crest the dune and move down to where the trio were standing near the monument.

Grand Captain Kortova led the way back down to the complex, clad in her mirror-shades and now her purple snake-skin gloves, so that she didn't have to risk bare skin contact with anyone. Looking was bad enough and a little touch sent shivers throughout her body. She didn't know what she would do if the feelings didn't go away in time, but one thing was certain - some sassy statue wasn't going to stop her from getting what was hers. Williams was with her, naturally, as were a number of volunteer officers who were more or less aware of the circumstances and nature of the supernatural they had encountered, along with some members of the original vanguard team, some marines, and a few more sailors for research, keeping studious records of the situation. Plenty of sketches and records had been taken, which contented them, though the marines chafed at the lack of tangible loot. It seemed the found coins on their first stop in the zone had jogged their imaginations.

"I'm going right back in there and showing that demon who is boss!" Kortova said, shaking an accusatory finger at the door to the chamber. Williams cleared his throat and caught her attention. "I do not doubt your... ability, captain, but allow us to examine these chambers once more," he said, examining the somewhat chilling imagery on the one locked door, of the people being dragged away by demons. Just what were they dealing with? He didn't know he was so curious himself. "These inscriptions. They depict particular scenes that, while some of us had thought were representations, or stories, may in fact be directions of some sort. Visual instructions that can transcend the limitations of written word, as I doubt all of this time period were literate, as our ancestors even a century ago struggled with what we take for granted today." That earned some nods, and the research team was scribbling notes. Williams looked back to the locked door. "This one does not allow us entry and I do not believe the inscriptions here are something we can recreate ourselves, so this perhaps may be some chamber of great importance. I do not know what lays behind it, but perhaps we may be able to open it without prybars and dynamite."

"If we obey the inscriptions, then perhaps this chamber will recognize our actions," he said calmly, though inwardly he felt clumsy and awkward. What a ridiculous thing he was saying if it hadn't been for what he had seen and discussed recently. "Back home we use keys of iron. Here, a more ethereal key may be necessary. This is to our best understanding a location of worship. Many of you are already briefed on what we know, and those of you who are not have been selected because of your own curiosity." Some of the gathered glanced at each other almost guiltily, as if they had been accused of some crime. Williams sensed this and pushed on. "Fret not, comrades of Sokrovy. Our pioneer spirit has brought us to this place and it will deliver us home bound in golden glory. For those of the uninitiated who do not yet feel the power of these words...." Her turned to Kortova. Slowly, he removed his hat, and tossed it towards her. She caught on quickly and raised her hand, stopping it in mid air and bringing it to her grasp - even floating it on top of her own head - with the power of her ring. There were gasps all around. Researchers scribbled notes furiously. Several began to voice questions but Williams raised his hand, walking to Kortova and very gently extending his hand to take his hat back.

"As you can see, these words are not boast. They are immutable fact. I know not what the others have found, but I do not wish for us to fall behind them. I know none of you wish that, either, and so we must stand in the shoes of our ancestors and tread forth, with sleigh at our back and shotgun in hand, braving the pine wilderness and arctic seas for salvation. Like us, they knew not what lay ahead, but the promises of their imagination drove them forwards. And they prospered." Williams cleared his throat again as he found he was getting carried away. "We need two volunteers. One who will enter the room of mirrors, and one who will enter the room of coins. I myself will enter the room of the headsmen...." He noticed Kortova twitch at this but he ignored it. Some debate went around before two people emerged as the ones to enter the rooms. Second Mate Yuri Zhukov was to take to the mirror room, and he closely examined the inscriptions and the chamber from the doorway. Quartermaster's assistant, Junior Helena Ivanavich, was to take to the coin room. Likewise, she examined the inscription closely. Gems from around the officer's were offered - a couple wedding rings, even - along with the most valuable coins they had on them. Someone had a fifty dollar gold coin on them and offered it, to much amazement. Few words were said of Kortova and her inscriptions. In truth, she stood with her back to them so no wandering eyes studied them too closely, though several were well aware of what was on there. She had a feeling she knew what she needed to do, though perhaps that was merely this spell cast upon her talking.

All four departed to the chambers. Zhukov examined the mirrors, but noted the fallen silk shroud. He remembered from the report it fell by itself. Snatching it up, he thought to return it, before he decided otherwise. He draped it around his shoulders, straightened his back so that he was mirroring the statue, and mimicked it to the best of his ability while trying to ensure he was properly framed in the surrounding mirrors. Ivanavich strode into the first chamber. She scattered her coins among the others, and knelt before the statue, offering up the gems in her hands from their rings and other collections. She eyed the crown and wondered if it was dangerous to touch it. The report said it shifted - a warning or an offering? She was nervous, and if nothing seemed to happen, she would put it upon her head.

Kortova moved quietly into her chamber, practically shaking with anticipation and another deeper feeling. "You... you!" She said to the idol. "You are playing games with me and I won't have it! Ishra sent me. Thats right, Ishra! I'm her friend, and since you are both demons, that is supposed to make us... if not friends then comrades! So don't make me do something you won't like! I swear I'll do it!" She threatened breathlessly. "D-damnit this room is hot," she sighed. She was already pulling off her jacket as she contemplated the inscriptions. Clearly, she wasn't going to copulate with anyone or anything, but it was just her here. Grumbling to herself, she got the rest of her uniform off and did as she had in her cabin for most of the day before the gilded statue on the rug before it.

Lastly, Lieutenant Williams strode into the fourth chamber. He looked up at the idol here in silence and examined it, before calmly stepping towards the headsman's block. For some time he simply stared at it before, slowly, he got down on his knees and placed his head against the cold stone. There was a slight tremor in his hand but he clenched it into a fist. "I offer my head," he began softly. "I submit, and yet I shall cry for mercy. I am a servant of my country and to my captain, who are... allies of your kind. I submit to you, but beg for mercy, so that I may live for further service, as that is what my life has been and will be." He winced as a tear glazed one eye, and his heart was thudding so fast he thought it would escape.

---

Before their entry into the chambers, Williams had given the order to four squads of marines to scour the island from top to bottom. They were not to touch anything or be reckless, nor loot without permission under severe disciplinary penalty.

--

"Why the hell did it have to be us, huh?" Trooper Nazgorska complained, walking along the beach under the darkening glare of the setting sun. "Because we found the damn thing," Trooper Sakharov said, earning a firm punch in the back from Corporal Makov. "Did you hear a thing the Lieutenant said, idiot? Its not a thing, its a her."

"Yeah, that makes this much worse. Why are freaky skeletons getting names now? Skeletons should stay its not hims and hers," Sakharov continued, which causing the corporal to pick up a rock and pelt him with it. "Shut it, I say! You want this thing getting pissed off?"

"Wait, it can get pissed off?" Nazgorska asked. "I-I don't remember the lieutenant saying that!"

"Just... shut up. The coffin is right there, lets get this thing open like he said. No bad mouthing the dead, right? Or living. I don't know anymore." The three marines, half of their original squad, approached Ishra's shrine and pulled it open carefully as they had before. Nazgorska skittered away clutching his rifle and Sakharov hid behind him. Corporal Makov carefully, quietly, and very daintily stepped toward the skeleton and cupped a hand over his mouth, as if he made to speak a great distance despite being only a foot or two away from the skeleton.

"Ah... ah hello? Ishra? Right, that's your name, aye? Ah... the lieutenant said we're 'posed to be pals and, uh, they're doin' some business down in your house or something in the pit. Erm... please be nice to 'em, right? And us, we're just... um... all good friends here, aye? A-and he asked us, to ask you, to lend a hand if you're so inclined to do so."

"Ow! Fuck, who threw that?" Nazgorska whimpered. "Threw what?" Corporal Makov snapped.

"A rock, someone threw a rock at me!" Nazgorska cried as Sakharov suddnely slipped on the beach and started cursing, the other man swinging his rifle. "Shit, did we make it mad!? Is there a ghost!?"

"Its not an it its a her! Fuck, don't you listen?" Corporal Makov yelled back. He glanced back at the skeleton, causing his skin to prickle, and he thought he felt something tap his arm. "Right, right, fuck this, let's get a move on lads, we did our job!"

The three marines scrambled their way back down the beach at a full sprint, Sakharov tripping several more times and abandoning his rifle as they ran back for the camp, leaving the shrine open as instructed.

Last edited:
Having killed the slime that was in their way, Alvarado and his men continued forward towards that source of light at the end of the mine. While they expected to find something, they never expected to find this! Glowing aetherine in its base raw form. It was a sight to behold, these luminous mines full of beautiful crystals. The sailors were blown away by it all, and Alvarado was speechless. Finally the crew had something to smile about. "We are rich! We are RICH!" shouted one of the sailors. Soon enough some of the others began to jump and cheer while gazing at the crystals. Alvarado just laughed and quietly asked everyone to calm down. "...I'm proud of you ladies and gentlemen, but looks like our work has been extended a bit more. First of all, I'll ask two volunteers to take the remains of that slimy creature to Doctor Dos Santos."

One of the sailors picked a lose but dulled chunk of aetherine. "Heh, that woman probably will jump around at the sight of that thing." Another sailor grunted. "Yeah, and probably practice witchery on it." Some of the men laughed with the exception of the captain. "Alright, enough of that, men...The volunteers must come back with boxes." The men look at each other confused. "...Because we are taking every single piece of lowing Aetherine glass from this place!" The men cheered. It was rare to see Alvarado speak like this.

Meanwhile...

On the Correntino, Dos Santos left her lab for a moment to wash her mutated hands, and get something to eat. But while she went to the kitchen, she remembered something. The sudden realization that the blue lotus was the subject of one of the other crews' dreams. She stopped for a moment, gently rubbing her chin before heading to the ships bridge and talking with the officer in charge. After speaking with the man a bit, Dos Santos asked them to send a message to the Jackal to ask if they had found Blue Lotus on Island III.

Under Dr. Lonstray, the first meritorious effort to decode Ancient Altanic script was launched aboard the Prophet. Having presorted the texts based on presumed purpose and application, the scientists began by relying on those heavy in illustrations, as a child learning any language might do. Within only hours, they had identified the characters of the Altanic number system, demonstrated through the reconstruction of mathematical diagrams that it was a base-10 system, and, most excitingly, began to decode the calendar used by the people contemporary to the academy. A range of dates emerged as they began to compile this information, and a very rough estimation resulted.

The age of the Academy at Island VII was assumed to be between 4000 and 3500 years old, which corresponded to an Altanic Calendar date of 800-1300. The Albionian researchers, toasting this first and monumental success, began to note these "Altanic years" with an AC to differentiate them from the BC and AD dates they were familiar with.

Meanwhile, Captain Dobbs as his team aboard the island continued to find success of a more modest variety as they continued to explore the Academy, and to his satisfaction, his earlier worries that the remainder of the complex might go unexplored began to subside with the setting of the sun. Much of the complex, while still breathtakingly beautiful, had in fact surrendered to the ages. Inside their shining white walls and pillars, most of the perishable items and materials within had been worn away with time, leaving nothing but the glittering skeleton of the past. In the dying, golden light, the team made one final discovery of note:

In a building which was partially dug into the side of a hill, better protected from the elements, they found intact ceramic pots filled with what appeared to be coal ash mixed with ground aetherite, the purpose of which was unknown. As they returned to the Prophet to discuss their findings and send word back to the Nixe of their ongoing progress, Dobbs and his companions took terms admiring the glittering blue and black powder.

---​

On the main island, Captain Flint was driven by two irresistible forces. First, after such a violent struggle to reach the core of the pyramid and being teased by its greatest riddle, he couldn't possibly turn away now. He had to secure the final chamber so that its secrets could finally be unlocked. Second, Flint considered himself a leader of men, and deep down he felt a terrible sense of responsibility for the loss of Parker. It had been one thing when his sappers had been injured during their ascent, because they were performing the duty they had volunteered and trained for. Moreover, they had been proceeding carefully at the time, and there didn't seem to be any safer way to approach the ancient structure. But in Parker's case, a young man with an excess of bravery and a deficit of skills had been lost in a gruesome way which probably could have been avoided. Flint blamed himself for this as he descended into the chamber once more, and he prepared to take out his frustration on the monstrous white fish.

It had given him the courtesy of keeping distance while he kicked his way onto the sarcophagus, but soon after he had gotten his footing, the beast darted in, fins flashing in the near-darkness as it cut swiftly through the water. Flint got the barrel of his shotgun around and blasted it just as its ugly fanged mouth shot out of the water. There was an eerie squeal, a noise unnatural to all but a few animals, as it thrashed back into the water. Its tail fin kicked water into Flint's eyes, and as he dried them on his sleeve the lantern rocked back and forth, seemingly causing the skull-faced angels on the walls to dance in anticipation. "COME ON!" Flint roared again, loading the next shell into the chamber. The fish leaped out of the water at the far end of the room and then took off like a torpedo through the pool directly at the grizzled captain.

It burst from the surface just six feet away and lunged for a bite, only to wrap its teeth around the barrel of the trench gun itself. In an instant, its innards were shredded by the next shot, and for several seconds, Flint wrestled with the hissing, squealing animal writhing about at the end of his weapon before it finally loosened its jaws, flopping sickly into the already crimson waters to die. For a few minutes, it rolled and turned in agony until it was fully still. Flint, breathing heavily, suddenly felt his age creeping up on him. He let out a frustrated sort of battle cry as he let his arms relax, lowering the barrel of the gun. A distant clunk in the wall drew his attention, and almost immediately it was clear to him that water was draining out of the room.

He sat down on the sarcophagus to rest as soon as the water had dipped below the height of its lid, feeling sick to his stomach. He had done it; the room was now safe to enter and whatever was hidden directly below him was now accessible. But he would need to leave it now for tomorrow. He was physically and mentally exhausted, and there was no telling what sort of danger might exist below that stone covering.

---​

On Island II, the crew of the Jackal prepared to receive an interesting new addition. The stone monument found by Commander Warren was found to be just light enough that with kegs of air tied to a skiff, there was enough buoyancy to transport the large stone intact back to the destroyer by towing it behind another skiff. While the operation was proceeding, the Commodore rounded up his men to camp for the night on the beach. For a day that started off dreary, the sunset was beautiful, and Meinhardt felt as if all was going swimmingly. Of course, he was completely unaware of the grave misfortunes suffered by Flint's wing of the expedition, as well as the devilish escapades of Grand Captain Kortova.

Down near the water's edge, he noticed what appeared to be a pair of large, gray lumps rising out of the surf. Instinctively, he backpedaled, not wanting to be within reach if they proved to be a portion of some kind of sea monster, but it was soon clear that they were nothing more than aquatic mammals like the ones seen by lookouts yesterday, coming up to the shore to sun themselves and eat, presumably. Relaxing, Meinhardt requested one of the scout researchers accompany him for a closer look. They cautiously approached, finding each beast to be the height of a man and probably at least 500 pounds in weight, and while they quietly discussed their features and took photos, one of the creatures turned and stared at the two intently.

"I think we should head back," Meinhardt said. Just then, the bull charged, and while both men scrambled backwards, the Commodore lost his footing in the sand and fell. The bull crashed head-first into him, ramming him multiple times against the ground before opening its jaws wide for a crushing bite! Meinhardt drew his Luger despite the pain of broken ribs, and fired several rounds into the creature's gaping mouth, causing it to rear-back before flopping its entire body onto him, further crushing him with its strength. Several scouts then arrived from the edge of the island's trees and opened fire with pistols and rifles, both at the creature attacking the Commodore and at the others which had swam ashore, scaring them all away. They then rushed to Meinhard's aid to find him unconscious and barely alive.

A skiff was hastily prepared as the medic on hand accompanied him back to the Nixe. The whole incident had happened so quickly that Commander Warren arrived on the scene after Meinhardt had already been hauled away, and had to be informed after the fact. Later, a telegram from Walkenhorst informed the fleet:

Attention notice of incident STOP
Commodore badly injured STOP
Attacked by wildlife STOP
Condition stable will update STOP
Continue work as planned FULL STOP

---​

Helena Ivanavich stepped into the first chamber of Island VI, unsure of what to expect. Lieutenant Williams had given a slightly lofty speech which stirred a bit of courage in her, but the reality is that she was most concerned for her own safety. The Grand Captain had supposedly encountered a demon or some kind of hostile spirit when she had entered the third chamber earlier in the day, after all. Moreover, as the other crew tossed in coins and gems as tribute to the four-armed idol at the head of the room, she couldn't help but feel a bit of jealousy. When the Archangel joined the expedition, it was strongly implied that there would be treasure to be found out here in this accursed sea, and now that she was in a room quite filled with it, the officers had ordered her not to take any of it, and even worse, the sailors were taking their own hard-earned money and tossing it at ancient statues. It was madness.

And yet there she was, her hands filled with riches, offered up to the idol in silence. The doors shut behind her.

In the chamber next to her, Yuri Zhukov picked the silk shroud off the floor and threw it over his shoulders like a cape. He squared up, mimicking the idol's dismissive gesture by pointing back at it, but due to its elevated seating position, Zhukov found himself pointing upwards instead of downwards, and felt rather foolish doing it, like a boy trying to copy his father. Why was he doing all this? In the case of the room with the coins and gems, he could understand venturing inside, but here, all he saw was his own increasingly red-faced reflection. And what if... If there was a demonic spirit occupying that statue, as the Grand Captain claimed there had been one in the third chamber, would Zhukov's actions anger it? Would he be cursed?

He felt tempted to run away, which would be easy, since unlike Ivanavich, Zhukov's doors did not close behind him.

As Kortova entered the third chamber and was isolated, a flutter of uneasy feelings passed through her stomach as she remembered the helplessness the idol had inflicted upon her the first time she had been in this room. Her indignation empowered her enough to level a few almost-empty threats at the demon before her, even as she prepared to submit herself to further degradation. Almost immediately, the whispers set in and the feeling of shame that accompanied the act began to melt away. She was on the verge of guilelessly enjoying herself when, among the whispers, she heard smug, but restrained laughter. It sent a shiver of sensation through her which immediately pulled her attention back to the statue.

Ishra was right... it's even more fun, now that no one remembers the rules...

An androgynous voice flowed through her mind like honey.

You pose no threat to me, child. Not even your benefactor does, although we are good friends, Ishra and I. When she was a lowly human like you, my ritual was the only one she couldn't complete herself... but she found a way around it, just as you have.

Kortova could barely speak, her mind was so addled with the voice's soothing allure. "What... ritual...?" she whispered back.

In these chambers, those who aspire to join the family face us four arch-demons: Gedra, Panok, Maran, and me: Pheres. We only wish to see ourselves reflected within your corrupted soul... the drive to take all that you crave, to let none look down upon you, to seduce any you desire, and destroy any who displease you. These trials were to be undertaken before subjecting the willing to the seat of alteration, but you have already made mockery of that process. I see now why Ishra was so amused- you asked for my blessing without knowing what it was you were truly seeking. And while you accuse me of playing games, it's you who hasn't been quite so honest, hasn't it?

"W-what?" Kortova managed to vocalize, lost in a fog of self-pleasure.

Think, darling. If this life is not what you desire, then why did you choose my chamber? Why come back again? ...I'll tell you. You received what you asked for. My blessing has opened the gates to you, to give and receive freely with any and all. Well, nearly. I suppose I could have changed your anatomy as well, but I would be insulted if you wasted such a gift. As fun as it would be to see you blossom into a perfect omnibus, you are still only a day removed from just another virgin soul. It would be wrong of me to deny you the freedom to explore your heart's darkest desires, even if they fall outside the purview of lust and seduction. Maybe you'll find your true calling in Panok's chamber. Your friend certainly isn't getting anywhere with him, eheh heh heh...

Kortova could barely remember who had been sent into each of the other chambers, and briefly worried about Williams' fate. After all, it was difficult to keep track of all these demon names and rituals, especially while so gleefully distracted. Was Panok the mirror demon, or the axeman?

You will keep my blessing, young Anastasia, and gain another as a result of passing my trial. Oh yes, you've proven yourself worthy. While others have come in pairs, a seducer and the object of their desire, you have displayed a special sort of depravity. You love nothing as much as yourself, and you've made a damned fine display of seducing yourself for my amusement. So go take my second blessing and enjoy all that the flesh has to offer you. Gaze into their eyes, and they will become your pet for the hour, just as I've done for you twice now.

Kortova was overcome with another blast of unholy lust like the one which twisted her mind before, but now the feeling was utterly unbearable. She screamed loud enough that her cry could be heard not just in the antechamber and the other rooms of worship, but up the staircase to the edge of the bowl. And then, without warning and in the midst of writhing on the floor in crescendo, the doors swung open again, displaying her in all her disgrace to her crew.

At the same moment, Ivanavich was losing her patience in the first chamber, and, with a surge of indignant greed welling up inside her, stood and marched to the statue, pulling the crown off its head and setting it upon her own. For a moment she just stood there, eyeing the idol with a sort of glare, before stepping back to the small pile of Sokrovian coins and jewels and scooping some of them back up and into her pockets. That's when she, too, began to hear a voice. It was a confident, stately voice of an older woman.

Aha, there it is, good girl.

Ivanavich froze, her head wheeling around in search of the source before realizing that the demon was inside her mind. "...Who are you?" she asked, looking up at the idol's face.

Calm yourself, dear. I've been told that the old ways have been forgotten and that you travelers know little of our kind. You have nothing to fear from me; my name is Gedra- arch-demon of greed. You've come to a ritual chamber where once the uninitiated would face me with the task of proving their own selfishness. For you, it was a simple matter of taking my crown, but to them, it was anything but simple.

The young officer was confused, but she relaxed as Gedra explained herself. Even if she was communicating with a demon, the interaction was going far more cordially than she ever could have predicted. "Okay, I think I understand, but... why was it hard for them?" she asked, taking a seat among the coins. "You're just a statue."

All you see is my idol, and of course a statue is only a statue. But those from the ancient past recognized what this statue represents far better than you do, and I will forgive your ignorance, just as Ishra and Pheres have forgiven your leader, Anastasia. We sense great potential among you travelers and wish to aid those of you who can repay us with loyalty. What is your name, young lady?

"Junior Helena Ivanavich, ma'am," she replied.

Bah, such complication. 'Junior' is some sort of title, I presume? Helena- that is the only name we require. And I must say that crown looks debonair upon your head. Where we reside, gold is even more precious than it is among humankind, but given my status, I assure you that this is merely a pittance. When the Altanics were at the height of their religious ferver, sending one after another through these doors, I conjured and parted ways with one such item every cycle of the moon. Needless to say, I'll not shed a tear if I lose another, because I'll gain something my greed demands far more than shining metal.

"And what would that be?" Ivanavich asked, fearful that the demon might answer "a soul." However, she was surprised by Gedra's response:

A daughter, whose aspirations I can nurture as I once did, centuries ago, for so many young men and women like yourself. I cannot force your hand to join us, dear, but I deem you worthy of my blessing. Keep the crown, and should you encounter something that belongs to a human who isn't part of our great family, and you demand it, they will have a hard time resisting you. Perhaps you will sometime master the craft of usery and amass a fortune among your kind, or perhaps you have... other talents that would be recognized in these chambers. The world is yours to take, my dear. Good luck.

The doors swung open behind her, and Ivanavich was left kneeling with the crown upon her head, her hands full of gold and jewels, and a small fire ignited in her heart at the prospect of her promised "fortune."

In the forth chamber, Lieutenant Williams was in the midst of his prayer when a somewhat disgusted male voice reached his ears.

Silence, enough with your pity speech, mortal. I don't want your head; what would I do with it? What use would I have for another skull? Heh heh heh...

As fear-inducing as it was to hear another man's voice within his head, Williams was almost reassured by the disarming chuckle that followed its arrival.

You humans are an entertaining lot, I'll give you that. My companions here in the Ashes are enjoying your antics in a way that you just can't appreciate, but I'll be blunt. It's hilarious, what you're doing right now. I'll, uh, 'enlighten' you, pal. My name is Maran, arch-demon of wrath. My job is to judge whether you have the willpower - nah, let's call it the balls - to destroy the things that are holding you and your allies back. We demons aren't keen on mercy when there's blood being spilled. If you want to join this family, you've got to swear to protect this family. Call it an unholy oath, if you will.

"So, the chopping block?" Williams inquired.

The way it's supposed to work- you bring an enemy here. A true enemy. Not some random fool you find easy to dispatch, but someone who's wronged you or your allies and deserves death. You lay them down and kill them, and prove to me you've got what it takes to defend the family. You do that, and you get my blessing. But you're all alone right now, whimpering there like a fool. Don't get mad, that's just what it is. I've got nothing to offer you, now scram. Heh heh heh...

The voice faded and the doors swung open behind him, leaving Williams both relieved and concerned. If he told Kortova the truth of what Maran had just said, then what would happen next?

Outside the tunnel, the exploratory teams of marines were getting frustrated by their orders: scour the island for treasure, but don't take any of it. It was like they were on a sightseeing tour of the Devil's Meridian. Finding anything new in the dying light would be nearly impossible, but somehow, just as the sun was nearly over the horizon, one of the teams found something interesting buried halfway in the sand of the beach, uncovered by the previous day's heavy rains, apparently. It was a piece of aetherine glass with an etched symbol on it which was not a cross, but a different shape resembling three slashes with slight hooks at the ends, almost like three sevens, or scythes, arranged in a row. Obeying their orders, they left it there in the soft sand and marked their position by jamming a large stick in the ground, so that it would be easy to relocate this place again tomorrow.

As darkness fell on Island VI, the marines and officers were keen on returning to the Archangel as quickly as possible. There was much to discuss and plenty of gossip to occupy their attention as they ate their late suppers and turned in for the night. When Corporal Makov slept that night, he dreamed of being led through an ancient city by a young girl with captivating, golden-colored eyes to a large, outdoor banquet with many strangers. Although nervous, he spotted the Grand Captain and Officer Ivanavich seated at the table, and while he couldn't find a seat himself, the young girl returned with a goblet of drink to share nonetheless.

---
Luckily for Alvarado and his men, the aetherite proved to be completely harmless to handle with bare hands, as they loaded crate after crate of the bluish mineral from the ancient mine. They did their best to sort it by its relative luster, as they presumed that the rocks with the most glow were the most valuable, as basic of an instinct as it was. The operation required additional assistance from the Correntino and occupied the entire remainder of the day, and in the process they successfully removed the dead body of the slimy creature they encountered before. After all the death and misfortune they had suffered on Island III, this was the payoff they had so desperately needed, and by sundown, the deck of the Correntino was decorated with their shimmering blue prize.

Now, the bigger question was what to do with all of it. As they settled in for the evening, the crew met with Dr. Dos Santos and discussed the possible applications of the mineral, including speculation on how the rock was turned into aetherine glass by the ancient Altanic people. If they could perfect the method, the Platense will have indeed struck it rich. But that was still a ways away. Dos Santos had other priorities to attend to as well, and before the night was over, sent word to the Jackal that a blue lotus flower had been found on Island III and inquiring if they had found any on Island II.

Once Dobbs and his team had returned from the island, he immediately made way for the bridge to see if there were any updates from the rest of the fleet. He went through the telegraph messages in order received, the first from the Nixe asking for any information regarding an 'Ishra' figure but as far as Dobbs knew they had come across nothing of the sort. But perhaps the books did... he would have to speak to Lonstray regarding this later. He then read the second that had also been sent from the Nixe, and was shocked to read that the Commodore had suffered grave injuries from a wildlife attack. But so far, it seemed that he was alive for the time being which gave the captain some relief. Within a few minutes he began sending his report out to the Nixe:

PROPHET REPORTING IN STOP
ISLAND VII EXPLORATION COMPLETE
ACADEMIC STRUCTURES FULLY EXPLORED STOP
BOOKS RECOVERED STARTING ANALYSIS STOP
NO CASUALTIES STOP
MOVING TO ISLAND VIII TOMORROW STOP
REQUESTING NEW SAMPLES FROM KUROMAKI AND DOS SANTOS STOP

Before sending it however, Dobbs still realized he had to name the island in some fashion. He pondered about this for a moment, as it was an important task as well as an honor to do so for travelers heading into the meridian after him will come across this most likely. After some deliberation, he settled on a suitable name based on the first structure they had come across, and its mapping of the stars:

ISLAND VII TO BE NAMED CONSTELLAR ISLE STOP
And with that, he sent the message out to the Nixe before heading downwards to the research areas. Upon arriving, he noticed the general sense of festivities among the researchers and noticed that Lonstray was almost beaming with positivity. "Captain, we have made our first major breakthrough already in decoding the Altanic scripts! We have deduced their system of numerics and have determined the age of the academy to be anywhere between 3500 and 4000 years old." he said with a boastful pride, as if it was he alone who solved this enigma.

Dobbs looked around and gaving an approving nod. "Excellent work. Keep on at it then, we must learn whats in these tomes if we are to make any use of their value." he then said, causing several of the researchers to stop relaxing and scurrying to continue their work. As he turned to leave however, he was stopped briefly by Lonstray as he spoke up: "Captain I would also like to request new samples from the two that had-"

"Already been sent Lonstray, you don't need to worry about." Dobbs said to him with a smile, causing Lonstray to back down and nod before awkwardly moving back to work on the tomes as well as occasionally to scold one of his assistants for incompetence. The captain meanwhile made his way over to his quarters and undressed into his night garments before laying down on his bed. His mind raced as he thought about all these developments and accomplishments that the Prophet had enjoyed and wondered if the other vessels fared the same. After all, they were all in on this venture together to learn as much as possible and hoped that everyone was doing fine.

He continued to stay awake in bed for a while longer to ponder about things, such as how his brothers were and his father. Even with all this wonderment in the meridian, he couldn't help but feel a bit homesick. The countryside of Albion was always beautiful, peaceful, and serene even in times when the country was at war. It never seemed to be affected by anything in the outside world, as if it lived in its own little bubble. As he continued to think he then felt the heaviness of sleep begin to creep in on him, and as such he made a quick prayer from one of the many verses he had learned from the Church of Albion before closing his eyes and drifting off.

Warren's reaction to the Commodore's near death experience was one of shock. "Good god." he muttered. Almost killed by a five hundred pound sea cow lounging on the beach. He shook his head, and returned to his camp afterwards. There, he would find that the men had recovered some sort of necklace from the temple that the old man had mentioned. Slater awaited him at his tent, inspecting the small coral necklace as she recorded events in the Jackal's log book. As he arrived, she glanced up. "Evening, sir. I heard what happened to the Commodore. Terrible news, honestly." she said, without looking up. Then, she pointed her pencil towards the necklace. "The men found this at the temple once we got inside. It looked as though the temple had just been sort of built in a rush. With all the signs of battle scattered around these two islands, maybe the people loyal to your winged mermaid goddess slung a temple together after taking this island. There were small clumps of shadow mass on the back wall, too, so the men didn't stick around long."

Warren nodded. "Like a forward outpost." he responded, stepping over and inspecting the necklace. Slater soon glanced up. "I also heard that you're bringing the entire monument aboard the Jackal. We'd still need a researcher from one of the other ships to study it, though. None of us are all that experienced in the field of science." she said, pausing her recording and setting her pencil down. Warren glanced to her. "I could request Dr. Dos Santos to take a look at it, or Dobbs' researcher." he responded.

Slater nodded. "Dr. Dos Santos seems like a better option. She's already had a dream encounter with a mermaid." Warren nodded, before picking up the coral necklace. He looked it over, thinking upon Merphrau and all they had found so far, before holding it out to Slater. She gave him a look of confusion. "What is it, sir?" she asked. Warren motioned it to her. "Keep it. I'm not one for necklaces." he said. She glanced to it, before eventually taking it from her Commander. "...Understood." she responded.

The Jackal received word from the Correntino regarding the discovery of blue lotus flowers, and word was quickly sent to Warren regarding it. His response was rather prompt on the matter, requesting that the area the lotus flowers were found in be investigated thoroughly. He wanted to know just what the blue lotus flowers significance was.

The scouts were tasked with continuing their search of the island, looking for anything else that could be of use or importance. Riddle joined in the search, bringing his Annihilator with him as they searched. Slater and Warren would eventually turn in for the night, Warren wondering if another nightmare awaited him in dreamland or something more quaint. Slater, on the other hand, dwelled on the events of the day as well as the day before. They hadn't found anything on a 'Ishra' as Kuromaki had requested. Hopefully one of the other ships had discovered something of use. She set the coral necklace next to her cot, on a small table next to her private sketch book.

Kortova was still somewhat lost in her self-revelry when the doors opened behind her, in which she only spared a weary glance towards before looking away. Embarrassment - which was mostly just anger to her - welled up fiercely. She wanted to scream or do something, but she had already let off so much energy a few moments ago when she was contorting and making noises she didn't know she was capable of making. She knew this intense pleasure well enough, and with it, for a few precious minutes, came a sensation of contented indifference to everything. Really, all she wanted right now was a soft pillow to hug. A couple marines and some sailors hurried to the door following the screaming and observed the nude, curled up captain on the floor with a mixture of emotions. None dared to enter. Some shuffled around nervously and one called out, "Are you okay, captain?" Kortova said nothing at first and slowly pulled her jacket over her like a blanket. "Glorious, sailor. I'm glorious." They weren't sure how to respond to her lazy response until a female officer - Second Lieutenant Alyndra Mendelev - came barreling into them. "Backs to the doors, lads! Who the bloody hell peeps on a woman changing, eh? Snap to it!" The sailors and marines quickly turned, some scampering away, while a few stood with their backs to the door as ordered, forming a sort of barrier between the vulnerable captain and the rest of those gathered outside, caught up in whispers. Lieutenant Mendelev strode into the chamber, hesitantly at first given what she knew - and had heard - but she hurried over to the captain. "You're quite the performer, aren't you, ma'am?" Mendelev said, picking up clothes and helping the moaning Kortova back into her uniform. The captain said nothing and struggled to get her boots back on, and soon both returned to the main chamber.

Zhukov strode out from his, shaking his head, having left the cloak behind. He felt silly about all of it, but was more than anything embarrassed from his failure. His face was just as scarlet as Kortova's. Ivanavich left her chamber a little more victoriously with the crown upon her head, and she announced she had spoken with the demon within and that all was well. A few researchers and others, eager to escape the captain's scene, hurried towards her to ask questions and marvel at this. After a few minutes, everyone considered the final chamber. Lieutenant Williams strode out quietly to an audible sigh of relief to many. He looked over the others and noted that he and Zhukov had failed their tasks, but were safe. Ivanavich looked elated and the captain.... She stood off to the side with her jacket buttoned hastily and a suspender loop hanging beneath the hem from her hasty redressing. Mendelev was beside her, deftly supporting the captain when the others were too afraid, ashamed, or unwilling to do so.

Discussion occurred intensively as the captain slowly rejoined the others, offering a few murmured suggestions until her demeanor began to recover, in which she launched into a very animated story on how the demon had put her under a spell and possessed her, until she once more defeated it with wit, guile, and willpower. Ivanavich was quick to point out that she had indeed spoken to her demon, as had Williams, which lent a modicum of plausibility to the captain's wild tale. After all, only she had been in there. Zhukov shuffled about in shame, but none blamed him, and Williams offered many heartfelt reassurances. Of the nearly twenty or so gathered, one man had spoken up repeatedly about his distaste for everything that was occurring until it finally boiled over.

"This is sickening," Sailor Vladik Potemko said loudly. "What are we even doing here, I mean really? This was supposed to be for science. We were supposed to collect treasures to enrich our museums and earn a little extra for ourselves, but this? This is far beyond common decency. I don't know what is worse - buying into this lunacy of hallucinations and dementia, or truly believing this to be demons and willingly consorting with them. Have you people no shame? This is degeneracy!" Williams was at first off put that someone was having such a strong, verbal, and negative reaction to this among this selected group, but to his quiet delight, others were fast to rebuke this man before he could. But the arguments grew bolder and more intense. A few positioned themselves as moderates, but none so much as dared to align themselves with Potemko, and soon it was becoming a deep rage. "The captain is just some idiotic, rich brat that is only here so her face can be in the newspaper, and you are all fools for following along. You all saw what she was doing in there. Its demented. Are we civilized or are we nothing more than tribal apes? This place was built by backwards, heathenish, fuzzies! To play into their devilish worship is... is revolting!" The argument continued until Potemko reached his crescendo. "The commodore will know about this. You will all be lucky if you aren't left on one of these islands to fend for yourselves, and when we get home, everyone will know of the level you all lowered yourselves down to, like animals wallowing in filth. Do you even call yourselves men?"

A fistfight nearly occurred before Lieutenant Williams directed some marines to detain Potemko, who was spitting at them, but was forced onto his knees. "You've done nothing but say a lot of very foolish things, Potemko. The rest of this journey for you will be spent in the brig. I hope you've made yourself happy," the lieutenant explained. "Oh, I don't think so. Everyone will hear of this slut captain and the dance she made you all perform here. You can't hide from it. No one will look at any of you the same again. Giving up wedding rings? Your spouses spit upon you all. I hope they divorce those of you who did so!" Williams shook his head though a most terrible, and perhaps indeed devilish, thought struck his mind. He had been open about his room demanding the death of an enemy. All agreed it was an unobtainable action, as they had no enemy here, save for perhaps the wildlife but only a couple thought that would be a worthwhile sacrifice. Even the rivalry with the other crews did not even reach a tiny bit of worthiness, and none considered the others to be foes. It was a race for treasure, not to kill.

Few words were said when Potemko was dragged towards the chamber. The others followed, some watchful, some angered and shouting insults at the detained sailor. A few sobered up a little into silence when they watched the marines shove him against the chopping block. Williams looked down upon him with a soft expression of pity, but none of that reached his eyes. Potemko was a deckhand. He had been with the ship for five months. Not even half a year yet. No wonder he felt so free and righteous. The man continued to shout and hurl abuse, until he shifted to a pleading stance. "This is madness, I don't know what you think you are doing, but please stop this. Please! I'll keep my mouth shut, I... I was just upset, alright? This is all such utter lunacy!" The marines kept him held down and Williams drew his pistol, a slim, semi-automatic service gun. None of the others stopped him or called out. He looked them over, as if asking for approval, before pointing the gun at the back of Potemko's head. No one stopped him. "Sailor Potemko, you are charged with gross insubordination, designs of conspiracy against the crew and ship, and the open incitement of mutiny. As first officer of this vessel, I deem a tribunal unnecessary, and your crimes punishable by death by maritime law and the powers invested unto me by the Sokrovy Naval Board and the Mariner's Code." Potemko tried to squirm from the chopping block, but the four marines held him firmly in, some leaning back for what was about to happen and covering their faces. "You've all gone fucking mad! Demons! Devils! This is sin! Every church on this fucking world calls you sinner-"

Williams shot him once, cleanly, in the back of the head. The sailor went limp immediately as the marines let go and shuffled back. "May your death serve your crew in ways you failed to in life."

In the back of the gathering, Kortova had her chin tucked into the high collar of her jacket. She was smiling beneath it.

---

The communications officer glanced over the telegram and whistled a low tune. "Bad business." Another ensign nearby walked over and read it. "Ah, hell. Thats no good. The commodore? Hope he pulls through. How else are we getting out of this place?"

"No idea. Tonight feels a bit weird, doesn't it?"

"Weird? Nah, same as always. Nothing interesting happens around here. I like it to stay that way."

The ensigns shrugged, took note of the message, and would deliver it when the officers returned.

After a long day, the crews were back at the Correntino. Everyone was exuberant, celebrating while drinking wine and having a small dinner party. The mood was so cheerfull that nobody seemed to mind the fact Dos Santos was there. Some men even offered her some drink! She was happy to know that all the hardships the crew endured on this island finally payed off. After an hour, Dos Santos left the canteen and headed to her lab. There was a lot of work to be done with new samples of a creature, but just as she was about to enter the lab, she noticed the captain standing a few feet behind her. He wasn't alone either.

"Dos Santos, can I speak with you?" said the captain, who had a big smile on his face but looked rather intimidating now. It might be the fact that the two men behind him looked at her with contempt. Or perhaps it was just the dim lighting of the ship. But Dos Santos quickly shook those thoughts out of her head. She knew that Alvarado is a good man. "Y-yes... captain? How can I help?" Alvarado gently patted her on her shoulder. "...Doctor, our discovery on this island can make our ship rich. As soon as you are done with your research on the creature specimens we found... I would like you to study the Aetherine ore." Dos Santos gave the captain a smile. "Of course! Can't wait to share some samples with the other shi-"

"Do not."

Dos Santos went quiet, looking at Alvarado a bit confused while he continued to give her a smile. "...Do not take this the wrong way, Doctor, but I would prefer if we are the ones to make some breakthroughs." Alvarado sighed a bit. "I hate to admit this doctor, but while I try to show my men I did not care for that gold the Alleghenians took, I have admit that I am bitter about the subject." Alvarado looked away for a moment, there was a bitter look in his eyes. "...Always thinking they are better than us."

"Captain, I thought you... agreed we should all collaborate with each other." said Dos Santos while looking a bit more concerned. "That still stands, Doctor. I trust the judgment of the other crews, but I will not allow them to step on us. I want this research to be carried out by you. A provincial." Alvarado gave Dos Santos another smile, she tried to smile back but this did not feel right. After all, the other researchers on the other ships could help her make breakthroughs, but she did find the idea of new discoveries very appealing. Her name would be in future books! Something she always dreamed of.

"I...I'll do as you say, captain. You don't mind if I share the animal samples though, right?" Alvarado nodded and patted her on the back. "Of course, don't worry. Just don't let them step over you, alright?" The captain walked away with his men, Dos Santos still felt uneasy about this, but she decided it might be best to not question the captain. She'd work on the other samples. And tomorrow, a whole new island to explore!

At the bridge, the captain looked at the deck beneath and watched his men celebrate. He enjoyed this, despite the fact he just took a difficult decision. He pondered whether or not he should not share future discoveries on the ore with other ships, but it might be for the best. The Platine Republic always trusted other nations, only to be stepped on. He was not going to let the Alleghenians, Alammanians, or the Albionese take advantage of the Platense any longer.

After a bit of talking with his crew and learning of the slow recovery of Mancinelli, Alvarado ordered his comms officer to first respond to the Jackal's message from Warren. Informing him that the island has a few derelict structures and a mine with important ore, but didn't go into details about the latter. He pondered whether or not he should let Dos Santos help them with their own research, but after a bit of thought, he figured it shouldn't be a problem. After all, since she had a horrible mutation due to a stone related to mermaids, it might benefit her. After sending that answer to Warren's crew, he sent word to the Nixe. The crew had named the island while celebrating, a name that all of them agreed upon. "Marta's Respite".

As the waters began draining, Flint sat staring with tried eyes upon the scene in front of him. The only sources of light were his lantern, and that coming down from the shaft. This limited luminosity painted a dark scenery. He looked to the murals, and it seemed the angels of death were looking down upon him. He looked to the corpse of Parker that was floating in the water, a feeling of guilt gnawing at the back of his mind. And finally he looked to the monstrous fish. He saw how it's destroyed face was leaking blood into the water, and it's dead eye staring back at him. "From hell's... heart... I... stab... at thee." He managed to press out between his heavy breathing. But soon it became too much for him. The racing thoughts, the exhaustion and the emotional overload made themselves felt, and as Flint heard voices calling out to him from the shaft, he collapsed onto the lid of the sarcophagus.

A few moments later, when the chamber had become eerily quiet, Rourke descended with a group of men. As they look around with their lanterns and flashlights, they were feeling the same emotions as their captain had. Dread, guilt and boundless curiosity. Some of the men stopped to collect Parkers body and have it sent up by tying a rope across his chest below his arms. Rourke and another sailor approached their captain anxiously, but were relieved that he was only unconscious, but surprisingly unharmed. As the men hoisted Flint up in a similar fashion, Rourke looked to the sarcophagus. It sat menacingly on top of its stone pedestal, making the lieutenant feel like Flint had spoken the truth of it's evil nature. But enough was enough. Death and destruction had already rocked this abyssal chamber, and Rourke would not press their luck any further today.

As the men made their way out of ziggurat, they stopped briefly at the first fork. In the darkness of the unexplored corridor, they could hear skittering. It sounded like a rats or large bugs, and they noted traces of blood on the floor of the corridor. They unanimously decided to ignore the corridor. Upon returning to the ship and Flint was taken to the sickbay, Rourke visited the Nixe camp to trade discoveries, as the Alamannian group had apparently left without them. There he learned of the embalming chamber, and the horrible dangers they had faced. Another man had lost his life to the putrid vermin and Kuromaki had been gravely injured.

Rourke returned to the Terror and began putting the days affairs in order. Flint and Kuromaki had both been brought to the infirmary, where Doctor Marsh and his nurses would watch over them during the night. Sitting down for tobacco and some rum, Rourke discussed the events of the day with Bates. The Commander was understanding, but also voiced his frustration at how they had seemingly been left in the dark. No updates regarding the fleets progress had been received per telegraph, aside from the Platenese doctor asking about a flower and the Commodores grave injuries. Bates shook his head as he loaded up a fresh pipe, "In my humble opinion, this situation seems to be folding in on itself." He said as he lit the pipe and poured himself a glass of rum. Rourke looked up from his own glass and to Bates with a quizzing expression. "Even as it's been hard for us, with fighting the undead, our own fatalities and discoveries..." He continued. "If the Commodore also decided to cash his final check, there's gonna be trouble". Bates took a moderate mouth of drink and shook his head again, "That Alamannian golden boy didn't even plan for the succession of command. So in the case of his untimely departure, that Walkenhurst fellow is gonna be promoted to captain-at-sea, if I know their procedures right."
Rourke had been sipping on his rum whilst listening, and then spoke up "Wouldn't that make him the same rank as Captain Flint? That would mean that the fleet would have four commanding officers." He surmised.
Bates let out a sigh, furrowed his brow and took another swig, "You're damn right, son. So if the Kaisers horse shits himself, we're the ones that'll have to clean out the stables."

With his discussion with Bates over, Rourke went to the bridge to complement his Commanders entry in the ships logbook as well as send a message to the Nixe.

Ziggurat explored STOP
Chamber with coffin found STOP
Embalming room found STOP
Two men K I A STOP
Kuromaki injured but stable FULL STOP

He didn't bother telling them about tomorrows plans, as they had not yet been agreed upon.
After recording the days events, he too turned in for the night. He fell asleep almost instantly, both tipsy and exhausted.

Last edited:
The execution of Vladik Potemko had been a swift and shocking escalation. The officers and sailors who had been calling for his silencing moments earlier were left with the stark realization that they had gotten their wish: Potemko, as annoying and contrarian as he was, would never trouble them again, and in the seconds immediately following the gory end to his life, the other Sokrovians were left in the deepest silence they had encountered since the beginning of the expedition. There was a sensation of mounting consequences, the feeling of a terrible, compromising secret about to be thrust out of the shadows and into the daylight, and everyone present in the fourth chamber felt overwhelmed by it. Panic was setting in.

"What have we done...?" one of them said.

Another flushed with anger. "He got what he deserved," she insisted.

Indeed, a disembodied voice concurred, startling everyone aside from Williams. It was Maran again, who now howled with laughter at the mixture of reactions the incident had stirred up in the forth chamber. Eheh heh heh heh! Won't you all look at yourselves? So pale in the face... Be proud of yourselves, would you? Here you had a snake in the cradle, an oathbreaker! And you stamped him out without hesitation! Oh, but I get ahead of myself...

Maran took a moment and introduced himself to the astonished members of Kortova's crew, and explained that he and Williams had already spoken.

Your captain and ship are in very good hands, humans, because I can see how you value loyalty- the same way I value it. And in a hundred campaigns across all of Altanis and the Ashes themselves, I have known war like no other demon aside the ones I answer to. In all those campaigns, I had to deal with traitorous rats like that 'Sailor Potemko' of yours... Nothing makes me happier than seeing his brain matter spewed across the floor of this chamber. It brings back memories of... victory. And it reminds me of what this alliance, this family, is really about.

Humans, you are in good hands, truly. If your captain and this Williams fellow want to bring you into the fold, we will give you all the power and protection the Ashes can provide, so long as you agree to give us your loyalty in return. Someday, our family will return to your world, and we will trust you to answer our call, and carve a bloody path for us if we need it. And if you're asking yourself if it's worth your while, all I can say is this:

Are you stupid? Of course it's worth it.

Now leave. You have my blessing.

A chill ran through the chambers, affecting everyone within earshot of the idol. The gathered officers quickly looked around at each other, and although they saw no differences in appearance among them, they did sense something that wasn't there before. They obliged the idol by leaving the chamber, and after some argument over what had happened and what might soon happen, one of the explorers from the island's surface traveled down the staircase to deliver a routine message about the operation. As soon as he entered the room, the entirety of the party which had accompanied Kortova into the chambers felt a sense of otherness coming from the messenger, and found themselves staring guardedly in unison.

It was clear now. They would always know family apart from others.

The Sokrovian teams departed without pomp from the interior, traveling back up to the darkness of the fresh night on the surface. Few words were said as the party hauled up the body of Sailor Potemko, though plenty of questions peppered them from the junior officers and sergeants still on the beach. Lieutenant Williams elegantly, and somberly, explained that Potemko had lost his mind. They were performing experiments with the doors and the rooms when the sailor, mad with a voice in his head, drew his pistol and threatened the lives of the others. When he couldn't be calmed, he had threatened the captain's life, and Williams openly admitted to taking the necessary shot. A tragedy, everyone agreed. The messenger who had come down into the room by the end of it had been shocked to see his body against the beheading block, but once again, Williams deftly explained they had brought his corpse to it to see if his blood would do anything. It wasn't glamorous or perhaps the right way to treat a body, but it was deemed a worthwhile attempt. Marines were directed to dig a single grave on the beach and the man was promptly buried, a cross marking the spot. A service would be held in the morning.

Maran's gift was an interesting one. Williams was not certain how he liked the odd, quiet, and unobtrusive sensation that sounded in his head like a silent alarm every time he looked at members of the crew that were not in the chamber. Outsiders. Thats what they were marked out to be, when to him, anyone in Sokrovian uniform was a fellow brother and sister. Not any more, it seemed. The creature had deemed fit to bestow a new, secretive camaraderie upon them. One he hoped could be expanded, in time. They still had tomorrow to inspect the last chamber and see if they could get through that door.

Captain Kortova had been in a cat like mood since they left the structure. Silent, distant, but not withdrawn. She had even been smiling when others weren't looking, though he had noticed. He wished to speak with her once they reached the ship, but she departed for her cabin, likely to take care of her 'mood' as it was, and the rest of the team bled back to their stations or to cabins and bunks. None planned to speak of what had happened tonight until tomorrow when a proper meeting could be held.

For now, Williams returned to his own cabin, near to Kortova's and about half the size. Not that hers was that big to begin with. He washed his face in a basin and disrobed for the night, writing a terse report in his own diary. Potemko had not been his first execution, as it so happened. It was his second. The first time was when a sailor, many years back, attempted a theft from a bridge officer. The man had been caught in the act and stabbed the officer in the chest in a panic, killing him. That following day, a trial at sea occurred, and that night he was put to death by his own hand at the captain's orders. He had been uncomfortable and a little queasy at the action - a trial back home would have been more in line with the legal code - but it was acceptable, and the captain made it so. Williams had shot that man in the back of the head like he shot Potemko. This time he had felt nothing at all. Rather, it felt like a small burden being lifted from his shoulders.

He had thought the captain was something of a little devil with her eagerness to deal with these demons. Perhaps he was too, now. He wanted to know more.

The sun set over the Ossuary Islands for the second time since the fleet's arrival, turning the clouds above a shade of amber while the sea below was like wine, lapping calmly against the sandy beaches and rocky cliffs at the perimeter of each of the nine land formations, the wreck of the ironclad Muscovy, and the skull of the creature that felled it in battle. Dusk soon gave way to a dark and unnervingly quiet night, as the seas had grown more and more still as time went on, until, impossibly, all waves had ceased and the entire ocean reflected the night sky like a mirror. One by one, the leaders and officers of the fleet went to bed amidst a sense of unfinished business and unclear leadership. The Commodore was nearly killed by wildlife, and each captain seemed to be pursuing a different goal.

---

Dobbs

The Albionian was a young man, but a man, no less. He had lost the hesitation and weak nerve of his youth and had gained a physique that suited his intense, ongoing training. But more important than either of these things, he had become patient and skilled. The master had taken his sword away, today, but Dobbs knew that he was capable of bringing down the beast he had been sent to track. The forest floor was shrouded in darkness, although it was several hours past sunrise. He could see the beast's paw prints in the ground, which glistened with moisture from the melting snow from the night before.

There was a crick in the distance, a creature moving in the undergrowth. A small rabbit darted out, paused, and then disappeared into the brush. Behind it, seconds later, a wolf leaped over the same bush. At once, its whole head swiveled and locked into a frozen stare, yellow eyes fixated on Dobbs. All the tracking had payed off; Dobbs had found his mark. He set himself into position as the massive lupine hunter bounded towards him, body thin and sinewy from malnutrition. It would eat anything it could catch, now, and Dobbs was only a man.

As it leaped at him, he heard its voracious growls, but Dobbs was hungrier for something more. He launched as well, crashing into the creature and using leverage to get under it, turned it around unexpectedly and slammed it into the ground as if it were just another sparring opponent. It snarled indignantly as its jaws snapped wildly in the air, but Dobbs had already rolled out of the way, planted his feet, and then kicked the animal back hard with a crushing blow that made it whimper. He had it where he wanted it now, and before it could turn the tables on him he dove down on the creature and grappled it, yelling his war cry as it thrashed about, scratching him bloody with its claws.

With strength he could only feel in the moment, adrenaline flooding his veins, Dobbs lifted the wolf off the ground, constricting his arms around its neck as the body slipped through, until the wolf was dangling there by its throat. With a mighty scream, he put everything he had into a twisting squeeze, until a sickening crack echoed through the air, and then another. In one movement, he had broken the wolf's arm, and then its neck. He dropped its dying form onto the muddy earth and collapsed to his knees from the exertion.

In a blur, the next hour passed by his eyes as he worked his way out of the woods, dragging the hundred and fifty pound corpse behind him. At the edge of the trees, he met his mentor again, his arms crossed, head nodding in silent approval. "Strength is only useful to one with adequate technique. Jonathan. I have so much more to teach you, but you are making me prouder every day."

He then offered up the sword for his student to retake.

Dobbs awoke in his bed with his arm outstretched, as if he were taking the sword. There was nothing in his hand, however, and it fell lazily back to his side. He didn't quite feel rested at all, but rather as if he had been working or exercising at length. He grunted, pulling the sheets back and turning himself out of bed, and there, at the edge of the mattress, he looked himself over in the lamp light and noticed something different. Slowly, he raised one arm and flexed, feeling his bicep with his other hand and gently testing the muscles of his shoulder, and then his upper chest. Somehow, he had become stronger in his sleep!

Later, while dressing himself, he would come to find that he was in better shape than he had been in when the expedition began. He was still a pale shadow of the wolf-killing young man he imagined himself to be in his strange dream, but there was still no denying that his "training" was somehow having an effect on him in reality. Perhaps he was also becoming a superior swordsman? He took out his saber and struck several positions he had been trained for in naval school, but then felt the inkling of other techniques, ones which felt very rusty to him, like a forgotten hobby from his youth. The saber felt inadequate for these techniques, however, and he concluded that they must have been meant for the ever-mysterious and elusive eastern sword.

---

Lonstray

The remaining ships of the Meinhardt expedition were anchored in the port of Dover, Albion, having emerged from the northeastern edge of the Devil's Meridian the previous day in battered condition. It had been over a month and a half of sailing, but the wealth of knowledge being brought back aboard the Prophet was greater than the entire sum of all artifacts and anecdotes retrieved on all previous expeditions combined. While Captain Dobbs had taken lead of the frightful outing after the untimely death of the Commodore, it was, in fact, Dr. Lonstray who would be regarded as the hero of the day, as he and his research team had solved some of the greatest scientific and historical mysteries in the history of the world, and had enough materials and samples to continue their work for many months from the safety of a domestic laboratory.

The industrial buildings of the port and the cranes which hung over the harbor's edge were now in sight and a crowd of people had gathered along the shore. After a round of celebratory toasts, Lonstray headed back under the deck to ensure that the excitement of the journey's end hadn't completely distracted his staff. They had certain daily tasks which needed to continue no matter the circumstance. However, when he arrived in the lab he found it nearly deserted- most of the assistants were apparently elsewhere on the ship, perhaps to get an early start on their packing. The doctor made a mental note to dismiss a few of them and to reprimand the remainder, as he did not want to work with any slackers once he reached a permanent research center.

One of the tasks left undone was to record new mutations and take fresh blood samples from the cursed ones in the ship's brig. With few incidents in the waning weeks of the expedition, especially after the ship had run out of alcohol completely aside from the few bottles of champagne now being shared among the chief officers, the space was perfect to hold those with physical mutations. Dos Santos and Kuromaki were the first, but over time, over a dozen others were afflicted with all manner of strange curses which Lonstray sought to cure. It had been a while since he had drawn the blood himself, however, and he hadn't seen their tragic faces in almost as long. He gathered his medical instruments and then departed for the brig.

Minutes later, he stepped into the brig and looked over the suffering individuals from throughout the rest of the fleet. Some still looked mostly human, but Dos Santos was practically just an otter at this point, while Kuromaki, hidden in the shadows at the rear of her cell, was something quite horrifying that the doctor couldn't compare to any animal he had seen before. Lonstray stepped up to the bars of the Platense doctor and spoke her name. The creature inside looked at him, and then sadly approached with an odd and chattering squeaking noise. He grabbed her through the bars by the nape and quickly jammed the needle in, taking a small blood sample and then releasing her. He set the needle aside and took out a clean one.

"Miss Kuromaki, are you awake?" he asked as he moved to the next cell door. A few voices yelled out from the other cells.

"Doctor, please kill me!" One shouted. He was Albionian. "I don't want my family to see me like this-"

"Don't be pathetic!" Lonstray yelled back. "We're going to cure you and then you're going home!" There was a sound of whimpering from the distance which disgusted the great doctor. He shook his head and then repeated his question to Kuromaki.

A dark, hissing voice replied: "Yes, doctor." They had managed to teach her some language since she arrived, weeks earlier, although she didn't sound any less alien. The shadow at the rear of the cell twisted and then fell to the floor with a thud, and the Shinjuku monster skittered across the floor on all fours up to the gate, revealing a face with bulging, black eyes, twitching ears, and fangs large enough to bite clear through a human hand. Kuromaki held out her claw, allowing it to fall limply between the bars to expose her wrist. "If no cure, you die," she hissed plainly.

Lonstray chuckled. "Is that so?" he replied, disinterested as he took her by the wrist with a gloved hand, positioning the needle above a vein. At that moment, Kuromaki grabbed him by the wrist instead, yanking his whole arm between the bars. The brig exploded with an excited mixture of human and animal noises as she thrust her fangs into his arm right through the sleeve, biting deep into the flesh and nearly to the bone. Lonstray cried out, struggling to break free, and the next thing he knew, he was on the ground, several feet away from Kuromaki's cage and gripping the wound. Blood pumped out with each heartbeat, and he immediately set out to clean and dress the punctures with a nearby first aid kit on the wall.

"My god, woman, what's the matter with you!?" he exploded as he struggled to patch his arm with his one hand. Along with the regular tools, he slipped a bottle out of his jacket pocket that was full of a substance he had mixed himself. It was made from a reddish-orange fruit the crew had found growing on an island several weeks earlier. With a quick spritz onto the cleaned wound, he watched in fascination as the skin closed itself up, instantly stopping the blood loss, although bruising had still resulted. With a frustrated sigh, he dabbed his sweating forehead with a handkerchief and yelled again at Kuromaki. "They'll have you executed for that," he remarked. "So much for my research..."

He felt an odd tingle run down his left arm, where Kuromaki had bit him. He looked down, and with a horrified scream, he watched his hand sprout claws and fur.

The nightmare ended as he found himself back in his cabin, gripping his own wrist. Breathing heavily, he checked over his hand and found it entirely human and mundane.

---

Riddle
On Island II, Riddle and his men had stayed out, even in the darkness of night, to continue searching for more interesting finds. The ruined city looked even larger at night, and it was clear that there were once thousands of people living here, although most of the smaller dwellings which would have adorned the edges of the city were now lost to time, as they had been made of less durable materials than raw stone and marble. While exploring the roofless remains of a circular building, the team found something Ivanov had mentioned while describing the island, but they had not yet encountered:

In the middle of the floor was a pile of aetherine glass, most of it inert, but some glowing with a faint luster which suggested that they still had some charge, even after all this time. Carefully, under the light of their flashlights, the team recovered some of the charged glass while wearing thick gloves for safety, not allowing it to touch their bare skin. Some of the glass was plain, while others were marked with a symbol resembling an M or a W with a long, central leg. These stones were regarded as especially dangerous, and were all grouped together in a bucket separate from the plain stones. They then headed back for the camp, as it was very late and the team was exhausted. Riddle would sleep well with mundane dreams.

---

Warren

He was standing on the sea floor, surrounded by constructs made of stone and coral. Breathing was no trouble; it was as if the laws of physics had been briefly suspended, as there were fish swimming about above him and around him, but he walked across the sand as if he were standing at the surface, and the water was as natural to breathe as air itself. His surroundings were dark and full of shadow, but faint blue light from hidden crevices helped guide him forward. It wasn't long before he noticed their shadows, the creatures hiding all around him. They were watching, and yet he recognized that while they may appear monstrous, they were not his enemy.

They were merely curious.

Looking upon the constructs, pillars rising from the ocean floor to heights far above his head, he noticed the long and detailed inscriptions. They weren't written in Ancient Altanic, like the ones he had seen at Castle Island and elsewhere. They were inscribed with the same language as the stele he had found on the shore of Island II and brought back to the Jackal. Of course, the language was still a mystery, but somehow... Somehow, he knew these were names, written on the stones. There had to be tens of thousands of names, and as he looked around he realized how the pillars couldn't have all been erected at once, as some appeared much older than others.

He remembered the evidence of war at the surface- the destroyed cities, Merphrau and Wulfera fighting in the sky, the palpable sense of apocalypse that accompanied all of it... The names were in memorial. This was likely an undersea graveyard. "Show yourselves," he finally said to the creatures that were watching him, and slowly, they swam out. They looked like mermaids, but their faces were long and pointed, and totally inhuman.

"You honor her," an androgynous voice spoke. "But what you are doing will not heal the past. Shrines and prayer," it said, and the entire chorus of merpeople echoed, shrines and prayer. "They only sooth the mind. We are not content to wait an eternity. To right what is wrong, we speak with her heir, and the unclean ones...

Warren couldn't make sense of what he was being told. "Who is the heir? And who are the unclean ones?" A frightening sound wormed its way through the waters, coming from some distant, sickly place. He immediately regretted asking the question. The speaker among the creatures swam closer, and he wished that it didn't. But there, they stood face to face at the ocean's bottom, the insane calling ringing in the waters as the merperson cocked its head to the side.

"You don't know...?" it asked. "That crystal ball you carry is a gift from the great teacher of the unclean ones. We can show you more, but not while you walk the land. Take this," it said, holding out a black aetherine glass with an inscription on it. Fearfully, Warren took out a cloth to avoid touching it with his bare hands. "You're not ready, we know... but if you seek justice as we do, one day, you will take the glass and join us." Warren suddenly found himself underwater, unable to breathe. "Now hurry, and wake up!" the creature urged.

Warren awoke with the engraved, black aetherine in his hand, thankfully wadded up inside his bed sheet harmlessly.

---

Meinhardt​

The Commodore was in a deep sleep, the kind that comes with a terrible injury and powerful medications. As he labored to breathe through the night, a simple dream came to him containing an important message. A figure he had seen once or twice before on his previous voyages now appeared to him more clearly than ever, and yet Meinhardt still could not place a name to the face.

"Meinhardt," the gray man said. He sounded young, yet full of wisdom beyond his years. In his journal, he often called this voice the mentor, but until recently had placed little importance on his advice. Now that he understood the incredible truth of this sea's surreality, he knew that everything the mentor said would be of great importance. He feared that he would not awaken in any state to communicate it to the rest of the fleet. "Your fleet is about to sail into great peril," the mentor continued. "You have to lead them. I have found another like you, another who might do well for them, but the fleet answers to you, and you alone. You must not let them fall victim to the schemes of the fallen gods. Keep them safe, keep them human, and guard any knowledge you gain."

Meinhardt was in too much pain to speak, and too tired to hang onto his dream any longer. It escaped him and he slept through most of the morning hours dreamlessly.

---

Kortova

"Well that escalated quickly," Ishra mused. "Glad you're still carrying that token, by the way. It suits you... slut." She grinned maliciously at the last remark.

Kortova was sitting the bed she had imagined as part of her royal palace during her first night in the Uncharted Zone. Ishra was seated at the edge of the foot of the bed. It was nighttime, although the lamps were still on, suggesting that it was not an unreasonable hour. Kortova rubbed her eyes and nodded in reluctant agreement as she stepped out of bed and into her slippers. She didn't care about Ishra's abusive remark as she now understood that the debauchery she displayed in the chambers below Island VI was a standard aspect of being a demon. Ishra was toying with her, but it was somehow endearing.

She paused a moment to look over herself. It was easy to imagine being an empress, or to have incredible powers. But the simple thought of not even being a human anymore- that was difficult to grasp. Something was different about the palace, now, too. It seemed... darker. Ishra, of course, picked up on her thoughts and continued talking. "You like our company, and of course it's always a joy to have new family. That's why you dragged your friends Aleksey and Helena down with you. You're already adding to the family. One day," she continued pontificating, "you will have your kingdom in the faraway lands. But, it won't be like the dream you had before. That's boring. So, you'll do what any self-respecting demon princess would do: you'll be waited upon by lesser demons, and not those human servants you imagined.

"Perhaps they'll simply be different sides of the same coin, hm?" Kortova rolled her eyes at Ishra's pun as the servants popped into the room with a late meal. They were the same as the ones from her original dream, but now they, too, were demons. A small but lavish meal of the highest quality king crab was set up for the empress and her guest, bedside.

The most convenient thing about dining with a mind-reader is that Kortova didn't have to stop enjoying the delicious meal in front of her to speak to Ishra, and she was still able to have questions answered.

"A blessing isn't enough to 'turn' your underlings, no. You need an alterationist, like me," Ishra explained with a full mouth. "I'm not the only one, obviously. But if you leave my island, then you'll have to find another. Or... you'll have to learn how to do it yourself. I shouldn't even talk about it as if it's work," she added, stabbing at the crab with her fork. "Unless you're as much of a freak as you looked today, then corrupting souls through alteration is the most fun any demon can have. But one step at a time..."

The two of them walked over to the window and looked out over the Empire of Sokrovy. It still resembled a human city, but the shadowy buildings in the twilight of early night seemed to glitter a bit with purples, golds, and sanguine reds, like those she had seen in the Ashes. It was quite beautiful. "You'll need a method to find the other seats of alteration," Ishra said. "The Altanics navigated by ley line, but someday, you won't need to. Until then," she said, pulling out what appeared to be a compass, "this will guide you along Loken's Steps, from one shrine to another. The needle has two sides; the purple will lead you to Rescilla while the red points back to me, until you get there, and the purple will turn towards Elteran's while the red will point to Rescilla. It works like a chain. If you go the opposite direction along the same stops, the purple will eventually guide you to me again."

Ishra's demeanor had changed suddenly. She didn't seem so malicious or mischievous anymore. There was a frown on her face as she handed over the trinket.

"My shrine is open right now, allowing me to visit you and your crew if I want to," she said. "The ancients were afraid of us demons; and they built that shrine because they wished to have control over when and how I appeared to them. When the door is closed, I have no access to the human realm. My life is contained within the Ashes because of something I did many years ago, a mistake I made. I don't want to speak of it... Just know that, until you gain the ability to walk the Ashes and return to the human realm safely, when you leave this island tomorrow it will be goodbye for a time.

"Don't throw the token away, Anastasia," Ishra urged her. "The next time I see you, I wish to call you a friend and a sister."

Kortova awoke in her bed, clutching the ancient compass in both hands. Looking down at its surface, the needle was spinning uselessly. Perhaps it was because, in a way, Ishra was right beside her. She stood and went to her vanity and looked at her reflection. Her eyes had now fully changed color, becoming a deep and incredibly captivating amethyst which almost prevented her from noticing her new fangs - two on the top, and two smaller ones on the bottom - which somehow looked cute on the Grand Captain.

---

Williams

The lieutenant was kept awake for a while, thinking about the events of the day and what might be in store for him and the crew. The Grand Captain seemed all too eager to jump down this well, but then again, Williams had ended a man's life to help make it happen. No matter how foreboding it felt to think of such an act, it didn't seem to bother him. Perhaps he and the crew would get what they deserved...

"Aleksey, don't fall asleep on us, now," a voice said. Williams looked up to find a hulking demon looking down on him, his ashen skin covered by a Sokrovian uniform large enough for three ordinary men to wear it side-by-side. He held a gun the likes of which Williams had never seen before; its ammunition must have been the size of a small cannonball. And this demon's insignia indicated that he was, in fact, an admiral. "The Empress has ordered the attack to go on at sunset, and our navigator says that means we've got exactly forty-five minutes left. Go get yourself a coffee if you need it, Captain."

Williams shook the sleep off himself and stood, feeling much stronger than he had ever been as a human. He was a captain now, and at the forefront of the war. "Aye, sir," he said, and effortlessly he retrieved his cap using the same telekinesis Kortova had used before. Kortova... he had once served the Empress when she was just a Grand Captain. It was incredible how much had changed upon their return. Looking himself over, he could hardly remember what he had once looked like.

Just like before, they would storm the beaches and raid the Shinjuku Empire's ports, punishing them for refusing to surrender yet again, despite their whole navy resting at the bottom of the northern seas in an icy, watery grave. However, Empress Anastasia would not allow them to move inland and lay waste to the islands' interiors. That would make them less valuable as a colony, after all.

Time passed by quickly, and soon the boats were being launched, carrying the demonic marines to the darkening shore. Already, artillery was beginning to fire from the shoreline, which was answered emphatically by the battleships. Buildings which had already been destroyed the previous week were now shelled again, the remaining brickwork faltering quickly under the unrelenting pounding the Sokrovians were delivering. It seemed almost unfair, and it brought a wide grin to the Admiral's face.

But then, as the landing ships arrived at the edge of the port and the marines began to surge forth, the Shinjuku met them in numbers they hadn't seen since the beginning of the conflict. Was this some sort of last stand? For once, Aleksey and the Admiral were concerned for the success of their landing as they stood at the helm of the flagship. The admiral snatched up a pair of binoculars and looked through the window, cursing under his breath. "So that's what it is...!" he said, before shoving the binoculars into Aleksey's hands. The Captain looked through the device and watched as the defending Shinjuku hurled small bags of what appeared at first to be sand at the landing party, but which caused bolts of energy to shoot from their bodies. The demons felt to the ground and were set upon in their stunned state, stabbed mercilessly with bayonets.

"Who told them about the salts...?" Aleksey wondered aloud.

The Admiral grunted. "Withhold the second landing. Shell the beaches. Leave no one alive."

"Yes sir!" Aleksey answered. He felt no shame as the shells came down on his own men.

He then awoke in his quarters aboard the Archangel.

---

Dos Santos
The doctor found herself in her laboratory, coming to after apparently falling asleep with her face down on her desk. She rubbed her eyes and sat up, feeling very groggy after pushing herself too hard into her work. Shaking it off, she stood and exited the room, noting how quiet the ship was around her. Perhaps it was the middle of the night, and everyone was sleeping? She checked her watch and confirmed it: it was four in the morning. Shaking her head, she turned around a corner, bringing her to the barracks off the main tunnel, and...

This wasn't right. Standing there, she was looking on a long, narrow passage through the ship that she had never seen before. Had she taken a wrong turn? She turned and walked back the way she came, trying to get a sense of where she was, but as she rounded the corner again, she only found an ascending staircase- not the hall she had just been walking through. Alarmed, she walked straight to a doorway and tried to open it, but the metal door was locked. She tried knocking, and then pounding, but there was no answer, so she returned to the stairs and began to climb. The next floor was even less familiar to her, as she reached the top of the stairs. Three halls diverged from the top landing in front of her, and she spun around to find three others behind her. This was impossible; it was as if the ship were extending infinitely in all directions, and each hall was nondescript, containing nothing but a series of identical metal doors.

The doctor collapsed to the floor. Holding her head in her hands, she knew that this must be a hallucination, a breakdown of some kind. She cried out for help several times, but heard nothing but silence in response until the third call.

Then, it entered.

Out of one of the doors in the distance, a figure which at first appeared to be a man shuffled out into the hall, and Dos Santos stood and nearly ran to him. But then he turned to face her and the horrible truth revealed itself: the arms were off-center on either side, and his head was accompanied by a large growth out the side of his neck, on which a second face without eyes cried out in agony while the soulless eyes of the silent head looked on hellishly in the doctor's direction. It walked awkwardly, dragging one foot behind itself while jerking its arms along to carry the momentum.

Now she understood. This was just a nightmare, like the last one. Picking herself up off the ground, she took stock of her surroundings. It was practically irrelevant; she had no idea how many ghouls might pop out of the endless doors on all sides, but she knew regardless that she would survive. This time, however, she wouldn't let herself be the victim. Steeling herself, she waited for the monstrous amalgamation to approach her, balling tight fists until it came within reach. It swiped at her and she ducked out of the way, and she punched it in its secondary face. A liquid like puss squired out- the bulbous growth was soft and boneless, it seemed.

The creature grabbed her then and threw her across the room with superhuman strength, and she crashed into the split between two of the halls, painfully. But she picked herself up again, knowing that the creature was now standing between her and the stairs she had climbed to enter. She stood and ran towards it, yelling in defiance as she slammed into it, knocking it backwards a few steps so that it lost its balance and tumbled down into the stairwell. Its cobbled body fell apart into a mash of blood and rotting guts, the smell of which made Dos Santos double over and vomit. But after a few terrible moments had passed, she looked up and around and found herself in a hall she immediately recognized. Captain Alvarado was nearby, and he rushed to her aid. "Are you alright?" he asked her. "I saw that; that was brave!"

Dos Santos' eyes fluttered open and she was resting in her bed. With a sigh of relief, she didn't feel the pain of the strike she took in her dream. This time, she took a deep breath and felt healthy all over. Her relief was quickly extinguished, however, as she stepped out of bed. Her clothing hung loose all over her body, and it was apparent that she was several inches shorter than she had been in bed. Copper-colored fur had sprouted between her fingers during the night.

---

Alvarado

Captain Alvarado awoke in his cabin with an expression of confusion. His dream had been short and disjointed in a way which didn't feel natural at all. He had a suspicion of what he had seen, but would need to find Dr. Dos Santos to confirm it.

He had been aboard the ship, but it wasn't the ship, not the Correntino he knew. It was entirely too quiet, and the layout of the halls didn't seem to make sense. It was like a maze with no exit. He kept finding himself in different parts of the ship with no memory of how he had arrived there, and in his frustration he began to call out for someone to help him make sense of it. Instead, he had been confronted by a creature that he dispatched with the use of his pistol, after which he heard Dos Santos calling for help in the distance. He ran in her direction, determined to unite with her, but the hallways kept changing...

It wasn't until the last moment that he suddenly emerged into a hallway which connected directly to her, where she was being attacked by a similar monster, whose body looked as if it had been hastily assembled in a workshop. He readied his pistol, only to watch his doctor throw the creature down a flight of stairs, apparently killing it. A nauseating wave passed through the hall, and the captain grabbed onto his temples in pain. When it had passed, he was in a familiar section of the ship, and the doctor was vomiting in disgust. He only had time to remark on her bravery before the sequence ended and he found himself in his own cabin again, sitting fully upright in his bed.

---

Flint
Again, Flint descended the shaft to face the flooded room. He had triumphed the previous evening against the monstrous eel which guarded it, and now, the sarcophagus was completely unguarded. It was strange, however, how much deeper the shaft seemed now, compared to yesterday. All of a sudden, he found himself at the end of the knotted rope, and there was still quite a distance to the bottom of the shaft. He yelled up to his crewmen to throw down another rope, as they had obviously tied the first one incorrectly today. However, there was no answer from above. Hanging there against the wall, he cursed under his breath and began to climb up again, trying to imagine what the matter might have been.

He was about halfway there when, to his great alarm, the rope began to slide upwards as well, carrying him up swiftly. There was no telling what could possibly be reeling him in so quickly until he reached the surface and found his entire crew at the other side of the rope, pulling him in. But looking upon them, he found their faces utterly ghastly, pale, and evil. Rourke was at the lead of the team and as soon as Flint had gotten onto solid ground, he dropped the rope and approached him, picking him up by the front of his jacket. "Do you see what all this has done to us!?" Rourke roared at him. His face and hands appeared to be rotting off of him.

Flint stared back, wide-eyed at his subordinate. What had he done!?

Rourke threw him backwards, into the shaft without hesitation, and Flint found himself screaming madly for the first moments. He bashed off the far wall before falling forward, somehow grabbing the very last knot in the rope and slamming into the close wall with his entire body. Through some extreme luck he managed to hold on, and he began to climb again. Nearing the top, Flint watched as Rourke looked over the edge, now even more hideous than before, and froze momentarily. He was too out of breath to demand anything of Rourke, or to ask him what he had meant by "all this." Obviously, there had been a curse, but what had caused it?

Rourke grunted, took out a knife, and began to cut away at the rope.

Summoning all the strength he had left, Flint propped himself up onto his feet against the wall, drew his pistol, and shot Rourke through the head, which caused the latter to fall to his knees and begin to crumble away just like the mummies they had killed before. "Don't... open... it..." he managed to say as what remained of his body fell down the shaft. Flint narrowly avoided it as it disappeared into the darkness below.

The next faces to poke their heads over the edge were human, men from his crew that he recognized. "Pull me up, you bastards!" Flint screamed at them, and they dutifully obeyed. As he reached safety, the dream faded. Rolling back onto flat ground, Flint found himself simply rolling in bed.

---

Kuromaki
Kuromaki stirred in her hospital bed aboard the Terror. The room was dark and nearly empty as she looked about it with her one good eye. The rest of her face was covered with bandages due to the terrible bites she received from the rats living in the embalming chamber of the pyramid. "H-hallo?" she called out.

All of the lights came on at once as Dr. Lonstray swept into the room. He was wearing a thick apron, gloves, a face mask and goggles in a way which made him appear less like a doctor or surgeon and more like a butcher or even a welder. He threw a large doctor's bag onto the table next to Kuromaki and, while speaking his Albionian so that Kuromaki couldn't understand him, began giving directions to his assistants. One by one, they began to secure the woman's body to the table using straps so that she couldn't move, and when she was fully secured, the first tool to come out of the bag was a needle with a rubber tube tied to the end. She had allowed the doctor to draw her blood before, but this was different. Now the end of the tube was simply being lowered into a large, gallon-sized container.

"Nein- n-nein, ice bitte dich!"

The needle was pressed into her body and the blood began to trickle out. Dr. Lonstray then grabbed her by the claw and, carefully, pulled out his scalpel and began to cut away at the strangely webbed skin between her fingers. Kuromaki let out a pained scream, as there hadn't been any anesthetic or pain killer given to her beforehand, and that caused Lonstray to stop, turn, and slap her hard on her rat-bitten cheek. Now silenced, Kuromaki began to drown in the agony of having her hands sliced to pieces by the Albionian doctor. At some point, the pain stopped, and she she found herself looking up at the lights of the real hospital aboard the Terror.

Experimentally lifting her arms, she realized they were not secured by straps. She was awake, but could still feel the pain.

---

Rourke
Unlike many of the other important figures throughout the fleet, Rourke had a very simple dream on the night of the 4th. He was seated at the beach of the main island on a calm, sunny day, casting a fishing line out into the ocean and seeing what would bite as he sipped on a cold India pale ale and chewed on small plate of beef jerky. This went on for quite a while until he finally got a tug on his line, and with a pull he managed to hook the critter and began to reel it in. It wasn't long until he set eyes on his prize, a reddish fish with white on its belly that looked highly appetizing. Over a few hours, he reeled in two more, and soon had three ten pound fish frying on a board over an open camp fire. By now, some of the other men and women from the ship had arrived with drinks of their own, and it turned into a sort of barbecue party.

The fish, as it would turn out, was utterly delicious, and with a bit of sliced coconut that another sailor brought along, made a highly nutritious meal. Rourke could still taste it as he woke up in his cabin.

---

5th of October, 1919
The sun rose on the placid sea and immediately beat down on the crews as they gathered up on their decks and at the center of camps. It was clear that it would be a very hot, scorching day, and that they would need to take care to stay hydrated. This would be their last full day in the Ossuary Islands and so plans were immediately being drawn to finish their tasks before they had to move on. For some, this would mean a controlled, steady pace, while for others, this would be a flustered, panicked time as they tried to make the most of limited time. Kuromaki, upon learning of the Archangel's "Ishra" sighting, immediately demanded a skiff so that she could be taken to Island VI, rejecting all attempts by doctors to encourage her to rest. Apparently, something in her dreams had disturbed her about the Terror and she wished to never step foot on it again. Meinhardt briefly woke up in his hospital bed, but agreed to continue resting rather than trying to direct efforts on the final day. Detlev was left in charge of the landing party while Walkenhorst continued to command the ship.

Last edited:
As Dobbs awoke back in his quarters aboard the Prophet, he felt sore all over as if he had been ruthlessly exercising his entire body the day before. It hurt to move even a little, as was usual for something like this, but it wasn't usual for him. He hadn't been exercising to that extent, he didn't remember doing anything of the sort even back on Constellar Isle. He then realized that this was the work of the dream he had once more. Even more unusual was when he actually noticed a change on his body and further inspected himself: he had actually grown and toned his muscles in his sleep! Taken aback by this, he tested through flexing and gentle poking to see if this was actually real and not some hallucination which served to only confirm this new reality of his. He gave a soft chuckle as he looked over himself both in wonderment and curiosity, as he hadn't looked nor felt this youthful for so long.

As he stood up, he faced a small mirror in his room to look at himself in his entirety and was quite astonished to see the changes as a whole. While certainly not drastic among the likes of what Dos Santos or Kuromaki had experienced, it was still bound to be noticeable. He chuckled to himself again before realizing another problem, he would probably have a bit of trouble fitting properly into his uniform now. Getting the blues on over his shirt was rather difficult now, and instead of attempting to do so he let it stay open now in a more casual manner. This training... is it for my skills with a sword? he thought to himself before grabbing his saber and testing it out. It didn't take long for it to feel off, and he concluded that whatever this was used for it was for the sword he kept seeing in his dreams. Yet through all this he still couldn't help but wonder: Why me?

---
Lonstray awoke with a slight screech and a sweat falling from his brow as he quickly searched his wrist for any signs of change. Much to his relief, there was none and he quickly collapsed back onto his bed and breathed heavily as his body calmed down. He then laughed nervously as he sat himself up and shook his head: "Bloody hell, am I really going to fall for such frights made by my own mind?" he spoke aloud to himself as he got himself out of his bed and got himself prepped for the day. Yet, even as he tried to return to a normal attitude that he usually had he couldn't help but feel a bit concerned over what he had dreamt of. Was it his own mind warning him of time running out for Kuromaki and Dos Santos? He stopped his routine for a moment and thought about it.

He had bigger concerns at the moment anyhow with the books that had been recovered. He wanted to get his entire team to focus on them, but he couldn't help but feel a bit anxious over the fact that he had failed to procure any results from the blood samples obtained from both women. This failure annoyed him so that he slammed the bottom of his fist onto his table in the cabin in frustration before finishing up his morning ritual.

---
As Dobbs returned to the bridge in the morning, he was shortly joined by Lonstray who came in seemingly in a bad mood now. The captain raised an eyebrow at the scientist's fuming aura, but didn't say anything on that, instead focusing on the tasks at hand for the day. "Lonstray, I suppose you will want to focus on the books for today?" he asked, to which he only got a curt nod in response. Dobbs didn't press further on that and instead focused on his plan for Island VIII now that Constellar Isle had been thoroughly explored to his own satisfaction. Lonstray slinked out of the room and headed back to his labs, where he immediately ordered his assistants to begin working with him on the books. Dobbs meanwhile had a telegraph sent out to the Nixe:

PROPHET REPORTING IN STOP
BID COMMODORE MEINHARDT GOOD RECOVERY STOP
MOVING TO EXPLORE ISLAND VIII TODAY STOP
FINDINGS WILL BE REPORTED AS THEY COME STOP

Last edited:
Flint awoke abruptly, tossing in his bed in the infirmary. Marsh turned towards him, but ordered a nurse to tend to the captain as he was caught up in trying to convince the disheveled ensign to stay and rest, to no avail. As Kuromaki stormed out, Marsh let out a sigh and turned his attention to Flint. Flint also brushed off any assistance he was offered, as he had only collapsed from exhaustion rather than actual wounds. Marsh examined Flint personally, and was let go after the latter clarified that he would spend the final day on the island on the Terror to recover. Satisfied with this, Marsh allowed him to return to his quarters.

Well there, Flint threw his coat and gun-belt onto the cot and sat down at his desk. He leaned his arms onto the table and held his head in his hands, breathing slowly and deliberately as he processed everything that had happened. Finally, he sighed deeply and straightened his posture. He rolled up the sleeves of his shirt, revealing his arms were covered in an assortment of faded nautical tattoos. He opened a small cabinet and took out a bottle of Old Navy rum. Pouring himself a glass, he sighed again. The strain from yesterday had reminded him of his age, and it didn't help that his earlier dream had bestowed upon him the feeling of youth, if only temporarily. He also felt like he could also go for a cigarette, but he didn't have any at hand for the time being. As Flint stared at the blank page of his note book, he found his eyes being drawn to the tattoos of his arms. In the end he found himself sitting in silence and drinking his glass of rum. As he finished, not a single letter had been put to paper. He would have to wait until after the breakfast briefing to write anything definite. He got fully dressed and headed off to breakfast.

----

The officers mess was, as usual, fairly quiet. Most of the ensigns hailed from the western frontier states of Alleghenia, which made them sparse, if direct, in their conversations. Thaddeus Rourke was an exception in this case, coming from the large coastal city of New Hallifax in the east. While the culture of that city might have made Rourke more talkative, his time serving under Captain Flint had taught him to keep his speech brief and to the point. Over all, Rourke seemed to be in a particularly good mood this morning, despite what had transpired the day before. "So..." Rourke spoke up as he poured himself another cup of coffee, "What about the sarcophagus? The waters ought to be drained by now and you blasted that eel..."
"There's nothing to talk about.", Flint interrupted suddenly. The lieutenant turned to his Captain, who sat peeling the shell of a hard boiled egg. Flint looked up to meet his surprised gaze with a fierce one, looking to the rest of his officers and then back to Rourke. "That coffer of unearthly evil was put in that darkness for a reason. Opening it won't do us or anyone else any good". The officers sat in their places with slightly concerned expressions, aside from Bates who bore a scowl on his face in agreement to his captain and friend. Flint returned to peeling his egg, and then salted it lightly. "If I could blow up that abyssal ziggurat and raze this fowl city of the departed to the ground, I would". Flints words carried a grave seriousness, and none of the officers questioned him. All of them, even Rourke, knew that Flint must have seen something in his dreams. Something that their Captain would only divulge if pressed. After the moment had passed, Flint delegated the final days assignments. Rourke would travel to the Nixe camp and assist their scientists decipher the scroll. The other officers would be tasked to take small groups of armed sailors and scour the city, using the clear sky, blazing sun and knowledge of the lurking undead to their advantage. Bates was tasked overseeing the preparations to cast off the next day, as well as relaying a message to the Nixe:

Ziggurat fully explored STOP
Ornate Scroll found STOP
Research underway STOP
Crew explores city STOP
Requesting meeting with Commodore FULL STOP

After the breakfast, Flint returned to his quarters to record the previous days events in his log book. After writing down a strict report, he noted his dream and personal thoughts in the footer as usual.

That sarcophagus will do mankind no good. The Commodore be damned if he thinks otherwise. What infernal thing is enclosed within, the Altanians stored it in the darkest crevice of their foul temple. Away from the eyes of righteous gods and men alike. And there I shall let it remain.

Dream:
Pale crew and Rourke, affected by curse.
Sarcophagus. Do not open it.

After finishing his writing, he put his notebook away, rolled his sleeves up and poured himself another glass of rum. He was about to prepare a pipe that Bates had lent him, when he suddenly remembered the looking glass he had stowed away in the inner pocket of his coat. As he took it out he was relieved that it hadn't been damaged during yesterdays scuffle. Putting the mirror down on his desk so that it faced him, Flint sat back and lit his pipe. There, in a haze of smoke and illuminated only by the light coming through his windows, he sat quietly and studied his own reflection.

Last edited:
Lieutenant Williams conducted his morning ritual as usual, shaving at the small mirror and wash basin before him with his typical solemness, each gesture mechanical. Outwardly he showed little, though he found his dream had been rather disturbing. Dreaming of war was not unusual. Yet the detail of shelling his own troops... it shook him greatly. He had been a deep adherent and listener to the naval college's operational ethics classes. In his service, he had done his best to be reasonable, fair, and understanding of the sailors. To his knowledge he had succeeded at every post he had been in. Neither enlisted nor superiors had given upsetting reports of his behavior. He had even received a commendation and bottle of wine once for being considered a "relations advocate," a little award demonstrating him as a officer who sought legal defense for crewmen, especially when they were unable to afford a defense. The dream of large scale war and demons was nothing to the simple act of killing his own men. And what made it all the more disturbing was he had killed one of his sailors. Yesterday. Without remorse. He hesitated and realized he had nicked his cheek and patted a towel against it. Don't lose yourself, he thought carefully.

---

Not long after, Williams joined Kortova in her quarters for their morning review. "The crew remains in good spirits, though there has been some grumbling at the lack of loot. Our... so-called family... has undoubtedly received an intriguing boon, but the bulk of the crew who has yet to be admitted into our... family... still crave wealth. I think it would be wise to announce a bonus for all active shore teams today. A commendation for their hard work. I think we can continue this for a little while before we will need tangible results. Our first physical discovery of goods will more than likely need to be granted to the crew," he explained. "As for the family... damn it, I hate hate that term. Pardon me, captain. If you will allow it I'll issue a name for a ship's society. An old mariner's custom that hasn't been used in a long time and for good reason, but it may work here. A cover, of sorts. Anyways... those of our ilk haven't had any negative reactions this morning. Feelings are still confused. Some excited, some weary. We're in a strange, strange place. Doing some very strange things."

"Oh, indeed!" Kortova smiled, sat at her vanity and tilting her head side to side, up and down, examining her new set of fangs. At first she had been worried of its animalistic appearance, but it had a... fetching quality to it. So long as she kept he mouth shut, it wasn't noticeable. Unfortunately, keeping her mouth shut wasn't what she liked to do. "I spoke to Ishra again last night. She might even be here now, in a sort of... spiritual way." She gestured at the compass she was given. Kortova explained what it did, haven written it down as soon as she awoke, and Williams took careful note of this. "It will help with finding what she called alterationists or places for that. To help with the transformations, you see." Williams nodded almost imperceptibly as if listening to a cargo checklist. "Rather exciting, don't you think?" Kortova flashed him a full smile with her new incisors and he found himself feeling as if he had stumbled into the backroom of a theater where actors had put on convincing prosthetics. "As you say, captain."

"As for day, captain, our schedule is to crack that last chamber on the island. Is there anyone in mind who you wanted to make the attempt?" He asked. Kortova was combing her hair and glanced at him through the mirror. "Me, of course. I know what I'm doing very well!" Williams considered this for a moment and nodded. "As you say, captain. If it requires anything... compromising... perhaps we should reconsider. I don't think what occurred yesterday should be a common thing. The report of what those nearby saw... isn't something sailors should be seeing." Kortova frowned and grabbed her polarized sunglasses. "I can't entirely disagree with that, lieutenant. I didn't much care about it then, but as I think about it, it was rather improper, wasn't it? But I wouldn't worry about it. I think such little things are behind us now." Another impish grin. "Was there anything else, lieutenant?"

"Yes, ma'am. One last thing. A skiff arrived about half an hour ago with a small delegation. The woman Kuromaki was onboard," Williams reported. Kortova nearly hissed. "The commissar!? I knew it! The commodore doesn't trust us! She's here to watch us!" Williams quickly interjected, "Rather, captain, I believe it has to do with our report on Ishra. It was she who put out the request. I haven't spoken with her yet but she was brought on board to the officer's lounge and this is what Ensign Zamkazi spoke of. He's keeping her company, currently."

"Hmph! Fine." Kortova hopped up from her chair and snatched up a scarf, which she put around her neck to cover her lower face. Williams cleared his throat. "Its too hot today for that, captain. You may want to... well, I don't know. Speak very carefully?" The captain practiced that, trying to talk without revealing her fangs, and Williams shook his head. "Maybe... uhm... pretend you always had them?" He cringed slightly at the elementary suggestion. "Otherwise, we'll report it as a mutation. You can't hide your eyes forever, either. And if you are still changing... fessing up on this front sooner rather than later will be best."

Kortova considered it, then tossed the scarf away. She kept the polarized lenses in her pocket. "Fine, fine. Take me to this woman, then. Maybe we can get her to leave by noon...."

---

Captain Kortova and Lieutenant Williams went to the lounge Kuromaki had been sent to, where Ensign Zamkazi was already waiting, silent as a graveyard but otherwise receptive to her questions in a very round about and uninformative way. A professional dignitary in the making. Refreshments were brought in and placed on the sole table, where there were chairs and some very small, stout couches.

"Good morning, ma'am," Kortova spoke their common tongue in a stately manner, as if this was merely another lesson back home on dealing with guests. "What brings you all the way to our delightful vessel? The matter of Ishra, yes? Does that name... mean anything special to you? We will, of course, be more than happy to assist you." Keep it short, keep it simple, keep it sweet, Kortova thought, eying this... scrapheap of a woman. Thank god there is a table between us.
---

Elsewhere, the vanguard team from yesterday was sent back down into the ruins to set up their post again, preparations being made to work for the day. The clock was watched closely. Orders were given to begin work by themselves if the captain had not shown up by noon. Marine teams descended upon the island in the early morning light to explore it again, if mainly as busy work. A team was sent to retrieve the aetherine glass with the strange markings they had found yesterday, returning to the marked position to extract it. A medical orderly in full gown, with thick rubber gloves and tweezers, worked to bring the aetherine into a series of glass tinctures with cotton inside of them, with marines watching nearby.

Another small rowboat was sent out with some bored sailors to sift through the shallows again. More busy work. Suggestions by Williams to keep the crew active. Those that had still yet to be used for shore work were put through several ship drills to keep them busy as well; gun crews practiced at their stations, damage control teams practiced their plans, inventory was taken again and again, medical practiced trauma situations, and the like. Busy hands keep the mind from wandering. Kortova recalled her father saying that. Still, some leave was given, and a very small area of shallows was given over to men and woman who wished to swim. Another skiff floated around here with armed marines, and every once in a while a shot sounded off as they shot at anything that moved in the water that wasn't a person. Touching sea life was strictly prohibited. Shooting was not.

Continued exploration of Island VI STOP
Sorcery/Visions encountered STOP
Full report following conclusion of exploration STOP
One fatality STOP
Kuromaki received STOP
All well FULL STOP

Kuromaki took up the drink offered to her in both of her diminished, claw-like hands and sipped it as gingerly as she could through her bandages. Her conversation in rough Shinjuku with Ensign Zamkazi had been amicable, but she had detected early on that he had been placed in the lounge to not answer questions, and so she was quite happy to see the Grand Captain at last. Even better, Kortova, cultured as she was, spoke Alamannian even better than she did.

"[Grand Captain, you honor me. I've come here because I dreamed of a summoning of sorts. A creature... A demon, I believe, spoke to me and told me of a cure to my affliction,]" she spoke, and she twitched slightly at the final word. There was suppressed anger behind her calm visage, but at that moment she seemed to finally notice Kortova's unnatural features. This brought about a series of reactions visible in her one eye: shock, contemplation, and then admiration.

"[I will admit,]" she added, in a less-stoic voice, "[I have dreamed of these demons before. They seem to be calling me. The one which sent me said I was 'worthy,' but I am not clear on what he meant, nor how I am supposed to 'seek Ishra' as he instructed me to do. But this island is very similar to what I saw in my dream last night and you... You strike me a certain way, Grand Captain.]"

Kortova sensed a flicker in Kuromaki, barely detectable, which felt similar to the familial aura of her fellow demonic aspirants.

Kortova wasn't sure what to say at first. Ishra was, first and foremost, hers. It wasn't jealousy or anything - she found her first, spoke to her first, and received her blessing first. By extension the Sokrovian's were essentially family who would all be introduced, one way or another. Yet Kuromaki was this... ghastly looking outsider. Showing up to talk about her Ishra. She was already formulating a let down excuse in her mind when the little sensation of demonic familiarity struck her. That gave her pause. What... what was that supposed to mean? Is this a test? She thought quickly, something that Ishra or another demon sent her way. Was she supposed to actually help? If this is a test, I hate tests, she thought petulantly. The woman did say a demon sent her....

"[Demons? Oh, my. How intriguing,]" Kortova said, pausing. "[I suppose you could say we found some evidence of these creatures here on this island. It is a... temple of sorts. Ishra's body is on the island.]"

Kortova thought back to her dream and what Ishra had said. She could visit the human realm now that her shrine was open whenever she wanted, and that when they left it would be a temporary goodbye. But since they were still here, could Ishra actually....

"Lieutenant Williams?" She switched languages effortlessly. "Could you lock the door? I want to try something." Williams silently strode to the door and fastened the lock, standing beside it.

The Grand Captain cleared her throat. "Ishra? Darling? If you can hear me or do something, then... uhm... do it? This woman wants to talk to you. She claims she is worthy or whatever that means," Kortova said aloud, glancing around the room. Kuromaki freaked her out a little bit with the way she was looking at her, though maybe it was because of her fangs. But if this didn't work, then at least she could spook her a little, or something. Though if it did work it would probably be just as spooky.

Kuromaki looked around the room, increasingly alarmed by Kortova's sudden switch to a language she didn't understand, and the way Williams locked the door. For a moment, she even feared that the Sokrovians might be about to take her prisoner, or worse.

A few seconds passed after the Grand Captain spoke, and then the lights began to flicker and burst. Kortova yelped in pain, grabbing the right side of her head. "Aaah!! Cold, cold, cold, cold!" she cried as Williams hurried to her side. Likewise, Kuromaki sprung to her feet, but wasn't sure if she would stay and help, or run. She made for the now-unguarded door, but as she was about to unlock it, Kortova reared back with a heavy gasp for air and then spoke in a perfectly calm voice:

"There's plenty of things I could do to announce myself, 'darling,' but if you want to introduce me to your pitiful little friend, then you'll have to host me for a while."

It wasn't her own voice.

Her right eye had changed from violet to gold, and the right corner of her mouth was twisted up into an expression of evil joy while the rest of the Grand Captain looked terrified. She turned her hand in a mysterious gesture which pushed Williams away and into the air as if he were weightless, and left him there dangling. And somehow, Ishra had spoken neither Alamannian nor Albionian, yet everyone in the room had understood her.

"[A- are you...?]"

"Yes. Tell me your given name, Kuromaki."

"Ts-Tsukiko," she answered, thoroughly terrified as she stood frozen with her hand on the door handle. The gold from one eye slowly pooled into the other eye, leaving only a sliver of violet. Now nearly whole, Ishra beckoned the commissar to sit, and the latter was utterly compelled to do so.

"Another soul like yours, Anastasia? I feel just like lightning struck twice. But... You're threatened somehow; I feel it. Don't tell me you'd turn away another sister when she falls right in your lap like this? Oh and do speak up, I haven't possessed your entire body, although I could. How fun that would be, oh ho ho ho ho...."

A flash of purple entered Kortova's eyes and the look of terror returned, although slightly subdued, now that the icy feeling which had overtaken her had been given a proper explanation.

Slater arrived at her commander's tent early in the morning, finding that Warren was already up and dressed. And clutching an object in a gloved hand. "Sir?" she asked, raising an eyebrow as her eyes darted between the black glass in his hand and his face. He looked over to her. "Aetherine." he said, glancing down to the shard in hand. "...And its black." She eyed the glass again. Another gift from his dreams, more than likely. "...Should I send a message to the Nixe?" she asked, turning slightly as if she were prepared to send a man back to the ship.

Warren nodded. "Send them a message. I need to meet with the Commodore again as soon as possible. Don't mention the black aetherine in it. I'll show it to him in person." he stated, letting the gloved hand gripping the glass lower to his side. "Understood. Riddle made a small discovery last night. Several shards of aetherine, some marked with an odd symbol that resembles a M or W." she replied.

"Interesting..." said Warren, glancing aside. Its possible the symbol stands for either Merphrau and Wulfera. The problem was they didn't know which. That or they could just be weird symbols. The Altanic language was still a mystery, and the language of Merphrau's people was even more of a mystery. The M or W symbol could mean something else entirely.

"...You can mention the discovery in the message. Also..." he said, before looking back to Slater. "...I plan to take some men and visit the pyramid that Flint's crew explored." He dug in his pocket with his free hand, and drew out the small crystal ball. "...Maybe I can find something interesting with this."

Slater looked a bit surprised, but nodded. "Understood, sir. Will you be bringing Riddle?" Warren nodded. "Yes, you will oversee things here...and since we were asked to name the islands here, I'll let you name them. I've never been good with names anyway." he replied with a chuckle.

---

Jackal continuing exploration of Island II STOP
Commander Warren requests meeting with Commodore Meinhardt ASAP pending recovery STOP
Commander Warren also will be visiting the Pyramid on Main Island STOP
Commander Warren requests guide from Terror for trip STOP
Small cache of Aetherine discovered on Island II STOP
Island I and Island II will be named 'Isle of Isolation' and 'Merphrau's Reach' respectively FULL STOP

The immense cold wasn't unlike a Sokrovian blizzard, in which she had known many. Perhaps the worst of it had been a run from the bathhouse of her estate, across a tiny courtyard, and into the main mansion. A journey that had taken a dozen seconds and had left her nearly hypothermic as she had been clad only in a towel, her skin still damp. She always had a jacket waiting in the bathes now for that very reason. To feel such excruciating chill now, from no where, was almost debilitating and she used her remaining strength to steady herself as best as she could. The loss of control of her voice and a lot of her movement had shocked her into silent submission until some reigns were given back to her.

"Erghh... d-damnit...." The disorientation was immense. She felt like she had been spun in circles and then tossed against the floor. "D-don't... don't do this again..." Kortova grasped her head as she took a moment to breath. She had expected maybe some lights or a disembodied voice, even Ishra showing up in person, not this... this invasion. Perhaps if she had been prepared but the shock.... If there was one thing she hated as much as tests, it was surprises that weren't gift wrapped.

Still holding her head, she remembered Ishra asking her something. "I'm not threatened!" She whined, still in Sokrovian. "That woman is a commissar! They're all spiders, liars, and cheats! She could still be a spy for the commodore...." That was at least half of the truth. I'm absolutely, certainly, and not in any way jealous! She's dangerous, look at her! She added in her mind.

Meanwhile, Lieutenant Williams watched with a stern expression, his mouth drawn tight in a mixture of worry and exasperation. He had no idea how to deal with this. Obviously he couldn't call for help, and he doubted he could simply ask Ishra to not disturb the captain in such a way. The woman was a demon, after all, and her powers certainly immense. Had he been in his dress uniform he could have considered grabbing one of his silver medal pins - if they were even real silver - but in his fatigues he had no such thing. Sokrovian buttons were steely white, to his knowledge, just simple stamped metal or nickel or anything but expensive silver. Briefly, he recalled a rumor at college of the top button at the throat being silver - something about an old custom so stranded sailors could sell it off for money - but that sounded like such an archaic custom that it couldn't possibly still be true if it ever was. Still, that did not stop him from uncomfortably tugging at his collar, his fingers near the button in case he wanted to pop it off and then... what, pelt the captain with a metal button? Aleksey, you're losing it, he thought sadly.

By noon, the Prophet had reached its destination at Island VIII, which appeared similar to the place they had just left- it was thick with trees and perhaps a little steeper in that the center of the island was more elevated, but there were still no visible structures from the landing zone. During these morning hours, Dr. Lonstray and his team had pushed hard to learn more from their prized library, but had unfortunately made several bad assumptions about the mechanics of the language and had to abandon their first attempts at decoding very quickly. While Lonstray was frustrated by the stalled progress, he at least realized that each wrong guess brought them closer to the correct one, and that repeated failures would eventually result in surefire success.

It was, of course, the condition of Dos Santos and Kuromaki which annoyed him more, as unlike with the books, he had limited time to find an answer.

It took very little time to deploy the landing team once the boat was within reach of the shore, as the beach was gentle and covered in white sand which nearly blinded those men and women who climbed it to the grassy edge of the forest. Like on the day of their arrival, there were large aquatic mammals apparently sunning themselves on the beach, but after hearing of Meinhardt's injury, the Prophet's crew kept their guarded distance, and even fired a warning shot that scared the animals away when one wandered too close to the landing area. By 12:30, they were fully deployed and ready to explore the island in earnest.

---​

Flint sat a while in contemplation, looking at his reflection. There was a slight reddish tinge to the glass, suggesting that it might be enchanted, but there was nothing about the image in its polished surface that appeared different from reality. He would eventually set the mirror down on his desk and lean back in a much-needed break from exploration. His team would attend to that, and he quietly hoped that they would find some additional evidence to validate his decision to avoid the sarcophagus from that point forward. It really was a nightmarish thing, and in hindsight, while Parker's death was a tragic loss, the complications which arose from it might have prevented the Captain from making a much more terrible mistake. As for the mirror, there had to be some use for it that he hadn't considered yet. If it wasn't meant to show him anything about himself, perhaps it was meant to show him something about others, or maybe something other than a face entirely... He puffed away on his pipe and thought about various things at which he might try pointing the looking glass.

Meanwhile, Rourke joined the team of scientists currently trying to decipher the holy-looking scroll. They had decided to remain indoors despite the warm and dry weather, as they weren't sure of whether the item would fare well in sunlight after its many centuries of subterranean storage. In a vacant room, they had set up an examination table and had been using their tools to carefully unroll and record the writings onto paper, which was a very slow and involved process unlike the charcoal rubbings which had been taken before. Overnight, they had managed to confirm that the scroll contained Ancient Altanic script, like the monument found at Castle Island, and had identified more than 50 unique characters in the process. Only about 10% of the total length had been explored, and from the structure of its passages, it appeared to be written in some sort of poetic verse.

Rourke, while not a dull man, was unable to make any difference in the slow-going process. The scientists tasked him with locating any patterns within the script which would imply phonological usage, but with so little of the scroll transcribed, there was little that could be discovered. For the safety of the item, they requested that Rourke only work with the duplicate, as the ancient fabric threatened to crumble with each errant touch. In a patient mood after his dream, Rourke stayed with them for a few hours providing any assistance he could, and was soon treated warmly by his new Alamannian comrades.

Outside, the other officers of the Terror mounted another probing exploration of the island, but were somewhat aimless in their duties. They were confused by the maps they were provided, poor facsimiles of notes taken during earlier expeditions and vague details recorded during the previous days' outings. Without Flint or Rourke directing them, it seemed, the Alleghenians were far less effective, and by noon, little had been accomplished.

---
Commander Warren had made his plans clear to his first officer early in the day, and by noon he had arrived on a skiff with Riddle and a few extra hands at Ossuary Island, while Slater remained at Merphrau's Reach with the Jackal and its crew. At the time of his departure, Warren's telegram, requesting a meeting with Commodore Meinhardt, had been delivered to Captain Walkenhorst aboard the Nixe, but attempts to rouse the injured commodore were abandoned when the man awoke delirious from his pain medication. It would not be until just short of noon that Meinhardt would become aware of the request, and rather than exert himself by departing for Ossuary Island himself, he ordered the Nixe to gather its crew and fully depart for the main island. This would place them at the meeting place a day early, but given that Merphrau's reach was already being explored by the Jackal, it seemed appropriate by this stage.

This would mean that Warren and Riddle would have about two hours to conduct their own search of the island before the Commodore's arrival, if they so chose.

Lastly, the Nixe sent a telegram back to the Jackal during the transit, accepting their name for Island II. However, at Meinhardt's insistence, Island I was named Ivanov's Land.

---
Dangerous? Spider... liar... cheat...? Don't threaten me with a good time, now, oh ho ho...

Kortova now realized that her attempts to discourage the demon had only made Kuromaki more appealing. Before she could say more, the rush of cold intensified and Ishra once again seized her ability to speak. Before addressing her new prey, however, she turned sharply to face Williams and simply warned him with a grin which was anything but friendly. "Don't." She then allowed him to set down on the ground, restoring his movement, confident that Aleksey wouldn't actually dare to attack her. If he had, it wasn't clear whether silver would even hurt a demon, if his button were even made of silver in the first place. It wasn't clear what had made Ishra react so severely.

Her eyes filled with gold once more, she stepped up to Kuromaki, who instinctively shrunk back in her seat in fear.
"Tsukiko, go to the throne at the center of this island and sit in it. Anastasia and her crew have already made a mockery of our ancient rituals, but all the better... we can move quickly. Today is your lucky, lucky day, you silly thing. You will have what you want... freedom from Halja's magics... correct? That can be easily arranged, especially since you dream of... oh ho ho ho!!!"

Kuromaki scrambled backwards as Kortova, or rather Ishra, erupted into laughter loaded with genuine mirth. "[Wha- what is it?]"

"Perhaps you should tell Pheres? I doubt you could match Anastasia's display, but then again, you humans continue to surprise me with your sick and twisted imaginations! Oh ho ho... it will be done. It will be done! Come to my seat of alteration, Tsukiko. You're like an open book to me. I know you want what I have to offer even if you don't think you know yourself." Ishra reached out and gently caressed Kuromaki's cheek before letting her finger trace a line to the tip of her chin, and then up to the edge of her lips. Kuromaki was transfixed. Ishra gave one last little sneer of approval before turning away, finally relinquishing control of Kortova's body. The latter stumbled forward, feeling very sick and cold, but natural warmth soon returned to her.

Kuromaki, feeling as if she had been in a fog, now snapped out of it and bolted to her feet. "[The throne. Show me it!]" she demanded of Kortova and Williams, a fire lit in her eyes.

Dos Santos calmly opened her eyes, sitting on her bed while gently rubbing her fingers against her brow. She had another nightmare, but this time she had fought against the creature haunting her. It wasn't that beast from before, but a ghoulish horror that she managed to defeat. She saw Alvarado in her dream as well...but why? She never seen anyone but Halja in her dreams until now.

Was this a sign of some sort? She then noticed the state of her hand. The mutation had continued to develop, changing her flesh. Now she had fur and webbing between her fingers. And when she got out of bed, she noticed that she had become shorter. At first, she didn't think much of mutations. But now the realization that she'll become a creature really hit her. Even if otters were cute, she was becoming an animal. There was so much to do, and she was running out of time.

She tried to dress as best she could, and headed to the door to her cabin. When she opened it, she let out a little yelp as she saw Alvarado standing there. His hand ready to knock on the door. "C-captain... Y-you scared the living hell out of me!" said Dos Santos, while pressing a hand on her chest. Alvarado soon noticed that the doctor was much smaller than before, and his little amused smile quickly changed to a face of concern. "Ana Maria... you're... shorter? What is going on?" Dos Santos nodded while looking down at her body. "I... the... mutation continues. I... I don't know what to do Captain." For the first time this week, Dos Santos showed concern over her physical mutations. It was surprising to Alvarado, since she seemed to not care when she developed her otter-like hand.

Alvarado was lost. He didn't know what to tell the scientist. "I'll try asking if someone could help you, Doctor." He tried to give her a reassuring smile, but Dos Santos simply looked away until Alvarado spoke again. "I came here to ask you something, Doctor. My dreams in... the Meridian have been rather normal. Maybe a bit uncanny at best or worst... but yesterday, my dream included you. I know it's strange to bring my dreams to you, but... that never happened before. Does it mean something?" he asked, while gently stroking his beard.

Dos Santos raised her head and looked at the captain a bit surprised. "I...you saw me? I saw you as well, Captain. Did you congratulate me for killing that thing?" Alvarado nodded several times, making the doctor more confused. She pondered a bit about it before speaking again. "...Does this mean we are sharing dreams now? Is it possible we could see the dreams of others?"

"Hmm... I don't know about that, Doctor. I'm just glad you were not hurt by that creature. You showed them what you are made of!" he said with a smile. Dos Santos just nodded and looked away again, not in the mood for comradery at the moment. The two then walked through the ship, talking about the day's expedition. "We'll be heading to the Island IV. We've only a day to explore it and we know little about it, so I'll tell the men to work as fast as they can."

Dos Santos nodded while looking at the dirty floor beneath her. "I'd join you in the expedition but I got samples to study. That 'evil flower' you killed has several properties I need to study. We also have that weird tentacle creature, and I need to study the raw aetherine... It's a shame we couldn't get the giant lizard creature." Alvarado nodded. "It is... but you still have a lot of important things to work on. You do remember what I told you yesterday?" Dos Santos sighed. "Yes... I won't mention this to the other scientists, captain."

"Good." Alvarado stopped for a moment, Dos Santos did as well to look at her over her shoulder. "The Platine Republic will recognize you as one the greatest scientists our country ever had, Dr. Dos Santos. You can show them you are proud of being a Platense." Alvarado then patted Dos Santos head, almost like a supportive parent. And while Dos Santos found the gesture a bit endearing, she knew Alvarado just wanted to hide any possible riches from the other crews. "...I'll be going to the bridge now. Take care, Ana Maria." Dos Santos nodded and watched as Alvarado walked away, feelings of uncertainty gnawing the back of her head. She shrugged them off and walked towards her lab. It was time to finish studying that flower. As soon as she finished her more important research, she'd talk with the Archangel about the Blue Lotus.

On the bridge, the men were getting ready for the expedition to the other island. Alvarado simply watched the ship's deck through the window, before instructing his communications officer to send a message to the other ships.

Island III partially explored STOP
Full of hostile fauna and flora STOP
Exploring Island IV STOP
Dos Santos mutation continues STOP

Any advice would be welcome FULL STOP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back