• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Dark of the Wood [Characters]

Main
Here
Other
Here

The One Called X

Angstmaster
Characters
A few things to know before you apply:

This is a moderate to detailed RP, with a time commitment of about a couple of posts a week. If your CS has unreadably bad spelling and grammar (e.g., no capitalization or punctuation) it will not be approved. If you make a character and then disappear, I will be a sad bean.

Your character lives in twelfth-century Ireland in a small, rural, poor village. Please keep your backstories compatible with this. I don't expect exacting historical accuracy, but like... avoid super-skilled warriors, well-traveled rebellious noblewomen, and such-like.

If I accept your character, I'll "like" your post and add them to the character list.

If you have any questions, hit me up on Discord! I'm happy to talk characters.

You don't have to use the CS code provided, but please include all of the same information:
Code:
[center][img]Character Image[/img]
[h][font=Metamorphous]Character Name[/font][/h]
[font=Niramit][i]Character Quote[/i][/center]
[divide][/divide]
Name:
Appearance:
History:
Persona:
[/font]

4dda0e7417401edf2f6c34999dc4c9c4.jpg

Sarah"A witch, they call me. I'm not. I hear things, that's all."

Name: Sarah
Appearance: A tall, slender girl with large hazel eyes, dark skin, and a solemn mouth. Her hair is long and wavy, a chestnut color that takes on a red sheen in the sunlight. There's an air of frailty to her- she doesn't seem breakable, but like she is on the verge of wandering away from this world- as if she already has one foot in another.
Contrary to the picture, she does not have elf ears. It's just the best one I could find for facial features and expression.

History: Sarah was born to the disgraced daughter of a minor lord- a bastard, and half-gypsy at that. She was sent away at birth, to be raised as a commoner. Her mother would visit, occasionally, but couldn't quite hide her growing resentment of the child. Worse, Sarah insisted that she could hear the voices of the wind, plants, rocks- far past the age when such make-believe was acceptable. Rebukes only made her insist on her truthfulness, and beatings only made her sullen. She spent entirely too much time in the forest.

Eventually, her oddities turned uncanny- she'd accurately predict storms or premature frosts, get hunches that led to the discovery of thieves and swindlers. It was the devil's work, the townspeople said- the child was surely a witch. She'd spend more and more time in the forest- and it was there, presumably, that she caught Lysander's notice.

It was nothing in particular that forced her to leave- the town didn't feel like home, so there was no point in staying. She and Lysander have been traveling for two years, now, helping anyone desperate enough to engage their services.

Persona: Sarah is... odd. She's a serious girl, with an unnerving, piercing gaze- as if she can see through a person to their very core. She rarely laughs. Her voice is soft and pretty, and she likes to sing. She has a tendency to stare off into space, though she is nearly always well attuned to her surroundings. She is kindhearted, gentle, fond of children and animals but nervous of people.

Last edited:
a2fd2ed5ddbb912ca39bd470f3fb545b.jpg

Lysander"May I have your name?"

Name: None given, but you may call him Lysander.
Appearance: Usually he appears as a tall, well-built, fine-featured young man with red hair and bright, unnaturally blue eyes. He is beautiful in a too-perfect, inhuman sort of way. It's unsettling to look at him for too long. When seen out of the corner of one's eye he looks... not-quite-right, like something indistinct and inhuman.
History: ??????????????????????????????
Persona: He smiles easily, tends to give off an air of perfect, lounging ease- like a panther that, for the moment, isn't hungry. He is easily bored, his moods are mercurial, and he sulks when he doesn't get his way. He likes high places, and has a habit of appearing in trees or on rooftops that he could not possibly have climbed. He tends to treat humans as sources of amusement, with the exception of Sarah.

Last edited:
89e39d773299c24874540dd5feb5df9d.jpgSean"I just want my brother back."

images face is good but he is bigger height and width.
Name: Sean Mcclaferty
Appearance: A tall broad-shouldered young man, curly orange hair and freckles. One might think with him being so big and the blacksmiths eldest son, he would always be puffing his chest out, but he always seems to be looking at the ground. Especially now that his young brother was whisked away.

History: First born of the blacksmith, Sean was always large for his age. Despite this, and because of how timid he was, he was teased and bullied as a child. Even though he is large he always gives the feeling of being smaller than he is.

Everything had been going fine for Sean for once in a long time. He was learning blacksmithing and becoming more confident. He started noticing how big he really was for the first time in his life.

But then, His younger brother, Aidan, disappeared. This crushed him, and for a while he didn't know what to do. Now with the villagers going into the forest and he found his chance to find his brother Aidan.

Persona: Sean is a timid young man, but if he needs to he will stand up for what he believes is right and to protect the people he loves. Because of his self imposed isolation as a child, he is rather naive, and may not know things that other people would consider common sense. He is awkward in conversation and finds it especially difficult to talk to anyone close to his own age. Although he is seen as fun and kind by children, and respectful and polite by elders.

He usually has a somewhat lost expression on his face and can be seen as rather dopey. His voice is rough and quiet because of disuse, but gentle. He is deathly afraid of spiders of any size.

I hope I did it right! If you have any suggestions please tell me!

Last edited:
0a840a64a68184af8de9a72c079d8cf6.jpg

Nevin"I am not a fool in choosing to do the right thing."

Name: Nevin Taggart
Appearance: Nevin is a scrawny, average height male with a very sharp jawline. From his father he received blonde hair, but from his mother he received her blue eyes and pale complexion. He stands at 5'8" with a constant judging face. Not much into change, Nevin is always wearing the same attire of priest in training gown. (It is not the same exact pieces of clothing but just the outfit that remains the same.)

History: From the beginning, Nevin was never treated fairly. Rumors that he was born under a priest tainted the boy's status. At the beginning of the 12th century, any form of a relationship between a priest and a commoner was banned. Going against such rules, Nevin's father and mother decided to continue one anyways resulting in the birth of Nevin. What this led to was a sense of disgrace set upon the child from the community. But what saved him from becoming a complete outcast was the reputation of Fintan Killough, Nevin's father.

Fintan Killough was a priest who earned admiration from all around. He was a man of example and one that was often sought for religious advice. The priest strode with confidence in his belief and faith that at times it appeared as though he created miracles and not the folklore belief of faes. His strong devotion to the church has brought him a small string of followers. So when word came out that he had a child after the ban of relationships, his reputation faltered.

The religious community was divided. Some felt that Fintan, his significant other, and Nevin should be punished. But before any decision could be made, Fintan and his lover disappeared, taking Nevin with them. Like a coward, with perhaps good reason, Fintan sought help from a longtime friend in the nearby village of Kilvea, Douglas. Fintan asked for him to take Nevin in with hopes that the boy will grow with no affiliation to him.

As much as Nevin was given proper care and shelter, he was not shielded from the repercussions left from his father's doing. Nevin grew up with similar drive and appearance to Fintan so much so that rumors began to spread that he was the forbidden son of the fallen priest. Throughout all this, Nevin found solace in the religion of Catholicism. He was raised admiring the actions and stories of the saints and men of the Bible. Despite all that Fintan had left for him to deal with, Nevin could not help but feel slight admiration for the man as well from the tales he has heard of him.

But even with all this hope and faith he had to Catholicism, others criticized and bullied him. Other children and villagers teased Nevin often. He never knew if it was out of spite because of his devotion to the church or simply the way society perceived the rumors. It did not help when he began voicing out his own opinions and thoughts on what the teachings meant. Ideas of the meaning behind the stories and the "heroes" of the lore simply brought more ridicule to the boy. Many called him delusional in trying to follow in the footsteps of those in the Bible. All the words that spew out of his mouth was nonsense.

Throughout these years of torment, there was that one soul who believed in Nevin, Fintan's former friend. As asked he raised Nevin in his stern, distant way. He would never push down the boy but he also never intervened into any of his disputes. Douglas was there as a support when the boy needed it. And when the times of the children's disappearance came around, Douglas turned out to be the catalyst in convincing Nevin to strive for more.

With a goal in mind and stubbornness to save face, Nevin decided to embark on the journey to find the lost children despite the background of the situation not aligning with his values.

Persona: If there is one word that can concisely sum up Nevin it would be that he is ornery. Even if he had been pushed down by others the boy has a strong grip on his beliefs. At times he can break and try to warp the details of the situation to align with his values.

This means that Nevin is not the best at adapting. He has great devotion and loyalty to the things he knows and trusts, but throw him into an unfamiliar setting and he can become quite panicked. This will not show up on the surface of the boy though. With all his willpower, Nevin will put out on an arrogant and uptight demeanor. He knows what he is doing and that it is right. Which means not much tolerance for things outside his circle of belief of Catholicsm.

Nevin is also selfish in that he wants to prove to others that he is worthy. He doesn't want them to be right in that he has no place in this world. He will show them that he belongs. He will show them that he can be a hero.

Last edited:
Young_Irish_Woman__by_Igor_Babailov__w.jpg

"Frieda" Féthnaid"I fear only to see my child anguished."

Name: Féthnaid, nicknamed "Frieda"
Appearance:
She's a woman of average height and weight, blue-eyed and sporting long; curly hair engulfed in fiery red tint.

History:
Having always exhibited a soft spot for all things unexpected, Fethnaid never ceased to dream of braving the Irish Sea to see the hills and woods of Great Britain for herself. Over the years, however, her wants retired in favour of the Lord Almighty and what was once an adventurous little lass grew to be a fair maid concerned first and foremost with the well-being of her kith and kin, whom she held dear to the hilt.

Frigid winter, gravely famine and strange disease took their toll despite whatever feeble resistance Feth could muster, snatching her flesh and blood away in the dead of night and in the light of day all the same. Soon, she came to realise those she shared a roof with now rested with Him. Released from her duties and stricken with grief, she did not hesitate to invite a lost Anglo-Saxon hireling to her hearth and home and confess her love, which earned her the nickname "Frieda."

Frieda did bear her love a son -- a child of Celtic and Saxon blood -- and raised him as a herald of both Irish and English tradition. Much to her dismay, even he was not spared from the mysterious malice. Where he enjoyed a peaceful slumber now lied Frieda's tears. With her one and only solace kidnapped, she made sure to save herself a spot in the upcoming expedition to the dark woods.

Persona:
Although calm and patient if left undisturbed, Frieda will go to great lengths in order to ensure the safety of her firstborn -- which is both a perk and a flaw, seeing as it's rare for her to reason when infuriated. Not particularly loved by her compatriots, she will think twice before endangering herself to rescue some other villager if they don't prove trustworthy in her eyes.

c744fa4fa669d0231a1b690bd7a0d804.jpg

LeahAnother word and I will shove this pitchfork down your throat.

Name: Leah McRae
Appearance: Unlike most females, Leah cares for function over fashion in all regards. Her hair is shorter than most and muddy red in colour. Her skin is tanned from many hours in the sun and her clothes are almost always covered in dirt of some kind. There is not much softness about her. Being as active as she is, she is lean and has little fat.

History: As the daughter of a farmer who really wanted a son, Leah was put to work at a young age. She had little time to talk to other children as she grew up as she spent most of her time on the fields. Her parents regularly fought over how she was being raised. Leah's mother wanted to raise her as a lady should, whereas her father wanted the free help for the farm. Leah opted for the heat of the sun instead of the constrictions of the clothes her mother would choose for her.

As the years went on, the arguments continued. Leah cared little for it and just became increasingly irritable. One month where it was particularly bad, Leah heard of an opportunity to escape. And help other people, supposedly. Not that she cared much for that. Either way, it was an excuse to remove herself for a while.

Persona: Leah is the least patient person most would ever meet in their lifetime. She is upfront about her opinions and is quick to call anybody out on their mistakes. If you have irritated her, you will know it. Although, everything irritates her. She will take action when others hesitate, and is a rather whack-them-over-the-head-with-a-shovel-and-ask-questions-later type of girl. Her years of helping her father left her fit and strong armed.

gilbert of morgallion.jpg
Gilbert of Morgallion"Yes, I'll find your son too."

Name: Gilbert

Appearance:
Gilbert is a taller man, chiseled out of the countryside itself. While the work he does around his quaint farmstead is hard, many poor harvests have left him looking rather malnourished compared to his earlier years. His appearance, otherwise, tells greatly of his Norman blood.

History:
By all accounts, Gilbert was an outsider. He arrived to the village no more than six harvests ago with his wife, seeking refuge from strife. Though he wouldn't speak of it to strangers, he was avoiding service to his former hamlet's levy. Using all that he had left to his name, he built a farm intended to start over anew. GIlbert's wife passed from consumption two years later. Since then, Gilbert has lead a rather secluded life, as he was still viewed as a stranger to some in the village. As of recent, he has become more active around in the village through small acts of generosity: giving extra firewood to busy farmhands, repairing dilapidated fences, sweeping the porch of the parish church, and the like.

Persona:
Before his wife passed, Gilbert was once a determined man of seeming infinite vigor. Ever since, he has been far more reserved. His hearty laugh, booming voice, and merry whistling had become echoes and distant memories. His interactions with other villagers are now often brief, but recently speckled with seeming uncharacteristic kindness, especially to those that have lost their child. Some village rumors say that his kindness blooms in kind with the flowers of his wife's grave.

00cf9d5e27e0da52c257359155edb0c0.jpg

Mordollwen
Honor the Old Ones in deed and name, let love and light be our guides again.[/center]
Name: Mordollwen Bronagh
Appearance: Mordollwen Is a short yet sturdy built young women with emerald green eyes and deep copper colored hair that lights up like honey in the sunlight. Shes as pale as moonlight but with an undertone much like a newly budded dark-red Helleborine. She also has a mix of dreaded locks and loose hair that she adorns with different types of beads and even flowers at times. (Note she does not have the tattoos)
History: She grew up in the village with her ma who was the local midwife. It was an honest living that kept her mother away for long hours on many days depending on the need and Mordollwen was ok with that as she knew her mothers role was much needed. They grew up as simple folk who believed in nature and natural remedies which didnt stick to well to the people at first when her mother showed up in the village when Mordollwen was but a wee lass. But as she offered her services in child birth and aftercare they soon grew on her as the mothers flooded their home with questions and needs. It was a lively life growing up. Her mother showered her with love and knowledge of many things that she soon took and involved in her own life growing up. And when her mother passed she took up her services as resident midwife and she flourished in her job helping the many mothers of all kinds and seeing all the young children that her mother and herself helped bring into this world. And of course when the children started to disappear many of them were ones she and her mother both witnessed being born, she felt she had to go with the group to bring them back. Thankfully for her as she had no children of her own she managed to take on a young apprentice; a local woman named Aileen.
Persona: She is very much a motherly figure and a nurturer by nature. She believes in life and love, being a neutral women in most her beliefs as she does not like to fight, curse or be violent. But she is headstrong and a natural born leader as is needed when assisting a scared mother to bring life into the world. But shes also a protector and will defend anyone tooth and nail. You could never ask for a more dependable and caring friend in your life who would be willing to lay their life down for your safety.

Last edited:
(I hope I'm not too late. Let me know!)

[IMG='width:342px;']https://img00.deviantart.net/4d74/i/2014/311/b/a/daily_portrait__002_by_h1fey-d85l5gk.jpg[/IMG]
Turlough"I will do whatever it takes to see my loved ones again."

Name: Turlough MacKenna

Appearance: Turlough is of an average height for a male. He's on the leaner side, while keeping a fair bit of natural strength and muscle about him. From the deep-set eyes, the posture of his brow, and callus of his thick layers of skin, he appears as though he has lived through a number of years more than his actual age. His hair is a medium tone color with a beard to match, and neither his hair nor beard is perfectly kempt. What speaks most about his features are his eyes that glaze over in stories of his past. He commonly wears muted traveler's attire that keeps him well hidden as a 'common folk' in the village.

History: The MacKennas have been well known in Kilvea for a few generations. His father ran an apple orchard, and his mother would back various dishes to sell in the market and locally to the other villagers. Turlough and his three brothers all took up their father's trade and grew up being accustomed to the woods. His one and only sister took after their mother and would stay home to help her mother with her recipes. Turlough is the oldest of his siblings, with his brother's ages varying between 18-7 years, and his sister 10 years old. As an only child for a good portion of his life, he learned everything he could about his father's business and when he started having siblings, took on a fair share of responsibility with his work and helping to raise his brothers and sister.

As Turlough grew older, he became more rugged in his looks and attracted several ladies attention in the village. But none compared to Evelyn. She had the sweetest disposition about her, and he did everything he could to win her attention. Turlough's parents, however, thought that Evelyn was more of a distraction than anything else. Turlough had started to share cracks in his responsibilities within the family, and neither of his parents would approve. They eventually made Turlough decide between the family or his love, and ultimately he would choose family. Or so that is what the MacKennas believed. Turlough kept his secret romance present between him and Evelyn. Countless nights he would sneak off into the wood, only by lantern light, to meet with Evelyn and keep his relationship and passion intact.

One night, while Turough and Evelyn went away together into the woods, the night had grown much darker than normal. The winds howled violently and the trees rustled ever so violently. Tracking back into the village and making his way back home, the rush of breeze in the night sky had overcome Turough and swept him back. This had caused him to loosen his grip on the lantern he was holding and smashed into a close grouped cluster of trees. The glass broke and the fires quickly spread about the dry wood and leaves surrounding it. The wind couldn't supress the damage that was already taking place. The villagers soon were awaking and quick to storm into action. It was tough to manage the flames down, but the villagers were able to put it out. Not before burning acres of trees that span throughout their family business. The MacKennas entire livelihood depended on their orchard, and their resources lay in ashes. It not only affected his own family, but the entire village.

In the Fall of 1160, Turlough was left out of his family and the village. Turlough's name holds a bad reputation within the confines of the village and he's lived on his own for about 3 years. He's often traveled to other villages, he's made his journeys through the forest, but nothing compares to his home back in Kilvea. He hasn't seen his brothers and sisters for quite some time, and he hasn't had any contact with the woman who holds his heart. Since then, he's been closely guarding his family and loved one from afar, awaiting the moment that he has an opportunity to get back into it's graces once again.

Persona: Turlough is a solemn and stoic type. Mainly due to the distance that has been driven between him and his loved ones. He still vows to protect them from afar and watch after the land, never to disrespect it again. He has a passion that is fueled to prove himself and find a way to restore his own name again within his family and community. His voice carries a weight that holds value and is honest. He is very well adept to the land and knows it's twists and turns, or so he believes.

Last edited:
serf_token_for_magic__the_gathering_by_aaronmiller_da5klye-fullview.jpg
Colm"Achieving perfection isn't about not making mistakes, it's about making sure no one can see them."

Name: Colm

Appearance: An unusually tall man, Colm stands at a rather remarkable 6'8", easily dwarfing most other members of the community.

History: Despite willingly taking part in the journey to come, Colm actually has no children of his own, or even a wife, and is often a source of town gossip when he isn't in earshot. Interestingly, Colm is not a native of the area, having arrived in the area about seven years ago, shortly after his brother's death. The fact that Gilroy, the upstanding and very not odd man that he was, had a brother like Colm came as something of a shock to many members of the village. As per the man himself, he had spent most of his life around Baile Shláine, leading a rather average life there until he learned of his brothers death, which spurred him to move to the village and keep his brother's house in shape.

Persona: An odd fellow, Colm has been heard talking to no one, scribbling little squiggles on pages, asking queer questions about the fae, and various other strange activities. Despite these oddities though, Colm is known to be a kind and generous man, often willing to help folks around town without a need or want for compensation. An interesting note about Colm is the fact that, though he may look like a man of strength and nothing else, he is actually very well spoken, and often quotes passages from the bible, making him the darling of the local priest, despite his unholy curiosity about the fae.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back