• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Dark of the Wood

The One Called X

Angstmaster
090760bff6d278feda4e371a2b44113e.jpg

Life is hard, in twelfth-century Ireland. It's harder when you're facing a harsh winter with barely enough harvest to feed half the village. But still- sometimes, good luck will come to you, if you pray hard enough. Your crops will recover, the winter will be kinder than usual, and you'll make it through to spring. Miracles, it seems, can happen.

Of course, that was before the children started vanishing.

It began with the four-year-old daughter of the half-mad widow who lived on the edge of the village. A tragedy, true, but still- it was only a matter of time (and this was always said in a knowing tone with a sad shake of the head) before the Fair Folk lured her off. Living so close to the wood, and such a beautiful child, with such bright yellow hair- yes, of course, it was only a matter of time. And then it was the blacksmith's little son, and farmers' children of every age- and within weeks, there were only a handful of children under five left. No changelings left in their places, only empty beds and cradles and the echoes of laughter in the night. Precautions work- cold iron, four-leaf clovers, old bread- but only to delay what is fast becoming inevitable.

As a last resort, a group of villagers- in defiance of their priest, their lord, and their elders- hire an odd, itinerant young woman, who seems to have a gift for knowing things she oughtn't and- even worse- appears to have bound one of the sidhe to her will. A witch? Perhaps, but desperate times lead to desperate measures, and anyone knows that humans will march into Hell for their children's sake.

Luckily, she does not lead you into Hell. It's the woods you enter- the woods you know by heart, though you're aware of their danger. But the deeper you go, the more certain you become that these are not your woods. The more you learn of your guides, the more you wonder which of them has truly bound the other. Still, you must forge onwards, through the perils of the fairy realm, to rescue the lost children- hoping, of course, that rescue is even possible. Along the way, you may learn things you wish you hadn't- and uncover the awful truth behind the disappearances.

Are you ready to enter the dark of the wood?

***​

This RP is intended to be adventure with a dash of horror- the point is that the characters are in a world where they have to overcome obstacles with their problem-solving skills and survive based on their knowledge and ability to follow the "rules" of the fairy world- so basically, no combat. We're all ordinary peasants here, armed with protective charms and teamwork. It's semi-plotted- I know where it's going, but how we get there is up to the players. Maybe your fae guide will be helpful- if you can figure out how to get on his good side- or maybe he'll work against you. Maybe you'll find allies on the way- or maybe you'll end up making even more trouble for yourself. It's a world of possibilities out there, kids.

I'm more than happy to answer questions (please ask me questions) and hopefully I'll be setting up a main thread once a few people express interest (please express interest)!

Now with a a real thread.

Last edited:
This seems interesting, I've played dnd for about a year now and am an okay roleplayer. But I've never done any forum RPing, I'd love to be a part of this of you'll have me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back