The Dark City | Chatter

OverconfidentMagi

Laugh Like You've Won Always
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

aad45717b2e3aac7e0b55fe7b394e52b.jpg
THE DARK CITY

CHATTER

Use this space to discuss anything you wish, whether it's related to the RP or not.  This is first and foremost you're place to chat with everyone else.  If you have questions for me about the RP this is also the place to ask them.  Questions I think are good or important enough I will edit down and add to this first post for people to see without having to look through all of the comments.

Dark City map updated.png

The circles are player characters in the city, the faded red spots are where players died.

• Why doesn't my character have a name?

Your character arrives in the city with no memories at all. The lack of memories works like this: if your character hasn't seen it or been told about it, they don't know it or the word for it. If your character hears signing, they will be able to say "that's a song" without having known what a song was before that moment. They know what they see. Names are the same. Characters don't even know they are missing one until they're told they need one. This means most people in the city don't have a name until someone else feel the need to give them one. When asked to identify something, they suddenly know the words, but when asked to describe something they've never seen they cannot. That isn't to say words for things that don't exist in the city aren't floating around. Minnow is an example of a word that's been repurposed to describe something else, in this case fresh arrivals into the city.

• What's in the Dark City?

Countless simplistic buildings that all look similar, made of the same dark stone that makes up the ground and daggers everyone carries around. But unlike those things, the buildings aren't nearly as indestructible. Aside from the buildings the only things in the city are the people with their robes and daggers. Anything else in the city must have been made by one of the Kings, in most cases the Gold King. You might notice that basic things like plants, food and water aren't on that short list. Those things do not exist in the city, yet no one dies of hunger or thirst. The only way to die is to be killed it appears.

• Okay, but what is there to do in the Dark City?

Jack and shit. Mostly people in the city just waste time or try killing their peers, but there are some things to do in the city that many do flock to. There's the duels and fighting tournaments in the Orange district, decorating the floating buildings in the Green district, and a very competitive football (soccer) scene in the open space cleared out by the building's Green's removed, the Red district is kind of barren for entertainment (aside from prostitution, which we're gonna gloss over for site rules), Yellow promotes music and has a whole collection of instruments made by the Gold King for people to use. But yes, the point is that there's a lot of people trapped together in a limited space with very little to do and nothing they really need to do. So with the slightest motivation most eventually reach the point where they just take part in game of killing. That's why I help you find a storyline to grab onto at the beginning, so keep you from getting too terribly bored.

• What are the Kings?

Super-powered anime protagonists. Next question! Joking joking, but not very much. The Kings are the most powerful and influential people within the city. Most of them have been around longer than anyone in the city can remember, before they arrived at the very least. Some of the Kings - Red, Green, Yellow, Orange, Black - have claimed pieces of the city for themselves. Others just wander, like the Gold King. Each has an incredible power that sets them apart from even lesser power users within the city. The Red King is burning flames, and is best known for creating the red sun that provides light and warmth for the entire city. The Green King uses his power to levitate a portion of the city in the air. The Yellow King uses hers to protect those under her car. The Orange King embodies lightning, nothing but flashy violence as the Red King would say. Orange and Red are frequently seen fighting, much to either the entertainment or annoyance of the rest of the city, as it usually means the sun goes out until Red's done beating up the brat king. There are other kings I've yet to introduce or describe, so keep your eyes out for them.

• So... powers?

Yup, there are supernatural powers at work within the Dark City. If your character survives long enough they might even begin to show signs of having some of their own.

• What is this Reset thing?

Everything in the Dark City is an a locked state. Once it is not being observed, it resets back to how it was originally. That means that buildings that get destroyed are eventually simply fixed back to how they were. This applies to the people in the city as well. Any injury that isn't fatal can be made like it never happened by having the person sleep unobserved. When they wake up they will be in the exact same condition as when they first entered the city. This keeps anyone in the city from aging as well. The only things that don't follow the Reset is things made my a king's power. Those stay until damaged to the point where it no longer fulfills its purpose as whatever it is and loses its identity, at which point it simply disappears.

• But is there dirt?

No, there is no dirt. The floor of the city is smooth black stone, undentable and unscratchable. There isn't any dust either, in case you were wondering. The reset wipes away dead skin and all that junk that would usually be left floating around. Of course there will be dust and that when buildings are destroyed, it's just the nature of demolishing things and the rubble left afterwards. It cleans itself up as soon as its allowed to reset though.

• Magi! My character got killed! Do something!

*slaps you* Yeah, I told you it would happen. You probably made a bunch of very stupid decisions that got them killed, either that or they were just very unfortunate and stumbled onto the beginning of a particularly dangerous plotline. You are now faced with a choice: to get discouraged and leave or make another character and try again. If you decide on the latter, click on the next tab.

• New Game +

Yup, that's right, this game has a NG+ feature. Once your first character bites the dust, you can have your subsequent characters begin at the level you reached previously. What I mean by that should become clearer as people get farther IC.

Last edited by a moderator:
@A Mysterious Figure  How would you describe a forest to someone who's never seen a tree?  Just something to pick your brain a bit, no need to think too hard about it though.  Sheet is good.

@cokemonster No need to specify a lack of scars or marks, no one shows up with any injuries, and any injury that isn't fatal disappears in a similar manner to how the buildings repair themselves.  As soon as there's no one around to observe it happening it's simply fixed.  For people that generally means it can only happen if they aren't awake themselves.  Also, brown is one of the dud colors (I don't have anything for it, sorry), so you might want to pick another.

You are both good to go, you can get your initial posts up whenever.  Make sure to indicate what direction your character ends up wandering away from the platform in, in chat if it's unclear in the post itself.  Random direction, not much to go into huge detail about, I just need to know who's where.  And new arrivals to the city happen one at a time, so you won't be landing at the same time.  There will be a period of time after the first person arrives that's implied before the next one arrives.  It can even be different days from one arrival to the next.  Unless you purposely stick around the entrance for a while you won't meet the next arrival.

Ooh, I actually love that question in itself, but yeah, I might change it to just dark green (I'm a bit too tired for philosophical discussion today). Thanks!

I think I wrote my post right. The person you were talking about in the introduction, he wasn't talking to my character, right? (I hope, but if so, I'm sorry, I wasn't really sure so I didn't want to make any presumptions.)

Ah, sorry, no he isn't.  Both of the scenes in the opening post are unrelated to any of your characters showing up.  I understand how I didn't indicate that at all.  I'm just gonna blame the 4am for everything.

Your post is great, all I need from you now is what direction she went in, unless you want it to be truly random and I just spin the map of the city around a twister arrow.  Up to you.

Ah, sorry, no he isn't.  Both of the scenes in the opening post are unrelated to any of your characters showing up.  I understand how I didn't indicate that at all.  I'm just gonna blame the 4am for everything.

Ah, don't worry about it. I can't believe you're still alive that early/late though. I can barely get to 1am without my eyes going painfully fuzzy.

Bleeeehhh that opening took me thirty minutes to write god damn. I think I that will suffice, though. Let me know if any description needs altering.

I edited my CS. Don't you dare tell me White isn't a color because white is the absence of pigments.

And finally, directions are really hard to discern here, being subjective to where we face at any time. We start off on a disc in the middle of a dark city with barely any fixed land marks. Are we supposed to North-West or South? Because the characters don't know what those are. Probably. Well, they'd need a fixed point to call North if so--- the point is could you explain any good way to naturally choose a direction? Should we just tell you OOC for simplicities sake what Color Kingdom we're heading into?

@OverconfidentMagi

Bleeeehhh that opening took me thirty minutes to write god damn. I think I that will suffice, though. Let me know if any description needs altering.

I edited my CS. Don't you dare tell me White isn't a color because white is the absence of pigments.

And finally, directions are really hard to discern here, being subjective to where we face at any time. We start off on a disc in the middle of a dark city with barely any fixed land marks. Are we supposed to North-West or South? Because the characters don't know what those are. Probably. Well, they'd need a fixed point to call North if so--- the point is could you explain any good way to naturally choose a direction? Should we just tell you OOC for simplicities sake what Color Kingdom we're heading into?

@OverconfidentMagi

It's a good post.  And yes, white is a color.  

Direction is very hard to tell IC until your character learns some of the landmarks and what's where.  Going off in any random direction is a perfectly valid choice.  For now just use the basic map posted in the interest check to tell me where you are.  If you're just following the sun, know that it goes around counterclockwise, so if it's above the Red King's district now it'll be heading towards the Black district next and your character would encounter the wall keeping people out.  (Or the tunnel-arch-bridge, that'd also be somewhere near the edge of the Red-Black border.)  I'll start toying with things tonight - first attacks, meetings, whatnot - once I'm able to sit down and hammer out posts.

Ok. I'll let'cha get on that. I guess I'll just state here that yes, my character is following the sun directly, so he's doing a sort of bending path into Red district heading toward Black.

@MorgathosTheRussian

Couple of things you need to fix with the character.  Age needs to be about 15 to 25, for reasons, and he can't have a scar.  

If anyone who has already posted wants to, I am available to collab the next events right now and for a while.  It isn't something you need to do, it just means you end up writing most of the post yourself with me reading as you write and proving information as you need it right then so you can continue on.  Basically, I make a post telling you what happens to you vs I tell you at the same time as your character experiences it.

If anyone who has already posted wants to, I am available to collab the next events right now and for a while.  It isn't something you need to do, it just means you end up writing most of the post yourself with me reading as you write and proving information as you need it right then so you can continue on.  Basically, I make a post telling you what happens to you vs I tell you at the same time as your character experiences it.

...What? My brain kind of shorted out on that. Definitely do not understand. Do you want us to message you a little bit, then you read and you input on it, then we go back and forth a few times until a post is formed?

Apologies for not seeing this sooner, I need to remember to follow every thread of an RP. Also, I can not wait until characters to start earning names. This pronouns only thing could get confusing real fast if there are two males or two females in one scene.

...What? My brain kind of shorted out on that. Definitely do not understand. Do you want us to message you a little bit, then you read and you input on it, then we go back and forth a few times until a post is formed?

Apologies for not seeing this sooner, I need to remember to follow every thread of an RP. Also, I can not wait until characters to start earning names. This pronouns only thing could get confusing real fast if there are two males or two females in one scene.

It means I'd send you a link to something like titanpad where we'd be able to communicate while writing a post together before moving the finished version to the IC.  It just tends to make things flow much smoother and opens up a lot more options for sharing information as events happen in the post, rather than having to wait for replies that may overwrite other events.  For most stuff it's completely optional, I'd just push it a little stronger during things like combat, which otherwise may end up being pages of back and forth one-liners for some sequences.

If you or anyone else wants to try it, just ask and I'll say if I'm available then or if not when I will be.  During the week I'll usually be free any time after 6-7, but always feel free to ask (college student = busy/free time gets pretty irregular).

THAT SOUNDS INGENIOUS. And also pretty... ordinary that I should have thought of it sooner. I'm not too experienced with Forum roleplays. First I've heard of this kind of going about it. I'd love to try it. This may be the answer to pacing issues for when I make an rp...

Also, time and stuff is pretty wibbly wobbly unless we're in the same time zone. I'm in America, Central time. I don't really know what 6-7 is for you or me.

I work full time at horribly varying hours, so I don't have a true dedicated time. The best I can say is always 8AM-9AM and 3AM-4AM. The rest of the day is based on a weekly schedule dished out on Sunday. Time to go check out this Titanpad do-hicky...

A GM did it for an RP I participated in a long time ago, and whenever it was just one player and the GM it worked amazingly well.  More characters all interacting it isn't really feasible just because it's a pain getting more people all online at once.  So I like to do it whenever players' characters aren't all grouped up.

I'm EST btw, sorry for missing that detail.  As I said, if you have some time just check to see if I'm online and if I can't do it then I'll try to set up a time that works for both of us.  Barring classes I'm usually free to work around your schedule.

I see I see. Still a useful tool for 1x1 as you say. We could try it now if you want, or should we wait until you drum up an encounter for my character? I don't mind either way. For clarification on what I'm thinking we'd do, I would prefer if we use simpler/plain speech to render out the combat and then allow the players (me if I'm the only one who wants it this way) to drum out the frilly and gory details. I'm a slow writer and afraid I'd waste your time or rush and not have the best thought-out writing.

Example:

Me: "The man stared blankly as the assailant rushed towards him."

You: "The weighty, salivating man tackles him to the ground,  ten meat clubs wrapping around the bony neck and squeezing."

Me: "Well... Shit. He suffocates to death while trying to peer past the man for a last glimpse of the red star. RIP."

I would then write the scenario with more thought processes and poetic speech with the strangulation~

Would that be acceptable?

I see I see. Still a useful tool for 1x1 as you say. We could try it now if you want, or should we wait until you drum up an encounter for my character? I don't mind either way. For clarification on what I'm thinking we'd do, I would prefer if we use simpler/plain speech to render out the combat and then allow the players (me if I'm the only one who wants it this way) to drum out the frilly and gory details. I'm a slow writer and afraid I'd waste your time or rush and not have the best thought-out writing.

Example:

Me: "The man stared blankly as the assailant rushed towards him."

You: "The weighty, salivating man tackles him to the ground,  ten meat clubs wrapping around the bony neck and squeezing."

Me: "Well... Shit. He suffocates to death while trying to peer past the man for a last glimpse of the red star. RIP."

I would then write the scenario with more thought processes and poetic speech with the strangulation~

Would that be acceptable?

That is fine.  If I need details about something specific I'll just ask.

I've got a class to go to shortly, so we probably won't be able to get through much, but here's a link.  It's easy enough to just open it back up and continue from wherever we leave off.

@MorgathosTheRussian  Remove the scar on the sheet.

There's no way of knowing true direction in the city, so by north I suppose you mean from the map posted in the interest check?  So into the Yellow district?

So I tried adding the Kings to the first post in characters... in accordions.  I really hate this site's changes.  Can't even make something as simple as line breaks inside accordions work right.

If you want my 2 cents on it, I think every character starts awaking to the light. (Or maybe your character has their head on their side like how normal people sleep, and awakes to the dark city instead). You could give their reaction to their immediate surroundings, their simple minded thought process, and maybe give some frilly/poetic/simple soliloquy. And then choose a direction... some how. Without using directions. I think the only way is to come here in OOC and clarify which district you're heading into.

Goodluck.

Okay, fixed the kings section by just tossing them all into a spoiler.

I'm here!....But not all that sure on how to start...

Start with your character falling or just opening their eyes on the platform (a lot of them pass out during the fall).  After your character picks a direction to go in I'll help you with what happens next.

I'm around for collabs now, so if anyone wants to write a post with my input real-time it's on the table.  Just give the word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back