• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Cogs of Nottingham IC - Steampunk (Open)

Casey Jewels

Roleplay Type(s)
Plot:

The sprawling metropolis of Nottingham may seem like a marvel to many with its advances in steam technology, but inside the capitol’s walls the divide is sharp between the classes. Nobles indulge on their every whim, uncaring while the lower class starves.

Rather than trying to solve the situation, many have used it to their advantage, with crime and corruption running rampant as gangs take what they want and wage war against one another.

Prince John rules from his castle above the city, but his greed may be the worst of them all.

Can order be brought to Nottingham? Or perhaps you wish for your gang to dominate the city? Or are you a noble wishing to gain more power and wealth? Or, maybe, your end goal is to be rid of Prince John himself?

If you can’t tell, the main plot is a little disjointed, but this RP could go various directions, depending on what interests everyone and the characters created for it. I haven’t been able to nail down exactly what I’m looking for, but I think it’s because I want to do some collaborating. So, feel free to comment with ideas!

Setting is steampunk. Mesh of 1800s and 1920s feel. Very classist society. Also, gangs are a major problem. At the moment I'm leaning towards no magic, but if it's something people are interested in, we can discuss it. If it is included, however, it will be very weak/limited.

Also, if it wasn’t obvious, this is heavily inspired by a Robin Hood AU idea I had, but your characters don’t have to be from the folklore, nor do you need to be familiar with said folklore. Even more specifically, the original idea for this came from a piece of art created by UdonNodu, called ‘Betrayal.’

Betrayal_by_UdonNodu.jpg
Betrayal by Unodu on DeviantArt

I’ll be playing the Robin Hood character. He will be forming his own gang called the Merry Men, who will be stealing from the rich to give to the poor, but this is most likely going to be in the beginning stages as the RP starts.

As for the actual AU idea, I’d love to incorporate it into the RP, so if you’re interested in the original idea I had/are interested in playing versions of Little John and Maid Marian, click to see the spoilers.
The idea is that both Robin and Little John fall in love with Marian, with Little John turning on Robin.
There’s a little more elaboration on the setup for this in the below section, but that’s the idea at its most basic level. If things end up going in a different direction, that’s fine, but it is where the AU idea really took shape for me.

Additional character info:

Robin Hood characters don’t have to keep their original name (including Prince John, if somebody wants to play him), and feel free to play with traits/backstories.

I’m envisioning the Robin Hood character (dubbed Quinn) as being from a poor family but gaining employment as a servant to the upper class/nobles. I like the idea of Little John
being upper class, and of them becoming friends through Robin being his servant, but if whoever takes Little John wants to do something else with him, go ahead.

This employment with the upper class is what leads Quinn to realizing how big the divide is between the rich and the poor, which in turn leads to him stealing from the rich to give to the poor. I’m not sure where the RP is going to start with Quinn, though, in part, this depends on what is done with the Little John character.

Said employment is where Quinn is most likely to meet Maid Marian,
at some social event where he accompanies Little John, but, again, that’s subject to change depending on what is done with her character (and Little John’s).

Other info:

Just a quick note about the steampunk setting. Steam technology being a rather recent thing implies that the merchant class is in the process of rising in status. However, the upper class still sees them as being just as inferior as everyone else, and the merchant class is still going to struggle to get by. They’re also going to be highly involved with the gangs, whether through choosing to or simply because they have goods the gangs want.

Rules:
  • This RP has a PG rating, but I would prefer no swearing.
  • Use proper spelling and grammar.
  • Post length is expected to be at least 3-4 sentences.
  • At a minimum, please post weekly.
  • Follow all the normal RP rules (no godmodding, respect other players, etc.).
  • Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back