• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Chronicles of the Ebon Embers

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

Bakuyoshi

The lord of shipping
Oar's Rest, A small fishing village of humble origins, and even more humble Taverns. It would be understandable to believe an adventure would start here, yet here it is. The home of the soon to be made Ebon Embers.

Astrid walked along the path where many fishers lined up, according to them it was where the most fish were. Yet for the lone Mercenary she felt the smell of the sea was welcoming. Most towns she was in all had some distance from the sea, so she had to get used to the smell of Fish that were left in baskets for a good amount of the day. It was an unpleasant smell to say the least. All Astred could do was be thankful she didn't eat yet. But she knew from word of mouth that someone was here. Someone she had to make amends with, someone who she couldn't do this without. "Well Starge you ready? It's been a full year since we have seen him. I doubt he'll even recognize either of us. Just do what you can to help me get him back."

Starge simply looked at his new master and responded with his usual screech. He was as ready as Asterid was and he was not going to let their target get away. The Ebony Embers relied on getting traction with this person, and whomever else would meet them. But even the bird knew this was a likely to fail gambit. Who in their right minds would stay in a fishing village outside of fishers and normal people trying to live their lives. No chance in hell would there be any potential recruits here.

Slim Intoxicado Slim Intoxicado FireMaiden FireMaiden Zane Zane ShakinMcBacon ShakinMcBacon Rexcaliburr Rexcaliburr The Fluffiest Floof The Fluffiest Floof Demonsoul Demonsoul Archdemon Archdemon

Last edited:
In the small fishing village there was a figure who was new to the location. The figure was that of a black cloaked woman with baggy eyes, clearly tired. The woman was showing off simple magic to the children of the village, allowing their parents to not have to deal with them. Sparks burst from her fingers and small colorful explosions occurred in the air around her. With a finale of an illusionary dragon swooping over the kids and exploding into a burst of green, blue, and red colored sparks. The children clapped at this and a parent gave the magician a few copper pieces for the show. The woman nodded after accepting the coins and lay back on the small box she sat on. She was exhausted both from using her magic powers and also from her traveling with little sleep. Perhaps she would find a job that made enough money to live off of. She smirked at herself, the likelihood of such a thing happening is extremely small.

Fen'Harel De Levillia
Alias: Fenris (Current Name)
Action: Drinking away at Human alcohol

Fen'Harel was quietly drinking away at the towns local tavern, drinking to forget that terrible night. He remembered that something came in the middle of the night, tore through the Blazing Phoenix camp. Screams all broke through, nobody could see what was happening, but he remembered the loud scream, something inhuman, monster like, and shouts for the beast to kill everything. Fen'Harel was knocked unconscious into nearby debris, and awoke to be the last member alive, even the leader himself was dead.

He would never forget that night, he would never forget the scream of the monster that slaughter hundreds of men. He took another swig of his mug, and causally chatted with the men next to him, he may be a high elf amongst humans but he lived here, and he's been having a bond with a lot of them over the past year. Sometimes being a loner in these troubling times can be the end of you. He turned around towards the door of the tavern, he thought he heard the screech of a Falcon, but dismissed it as a wild creature.
Bakuyoshi Bakuyoshi

Out of a nearby forest walked a scruffy looking man, eating a piece of bread. The man wasn't tall by any means, and didn't have any unusual features, but for some reason, he seemed to stand out in a crowd. Maybe it was the bow that was always poking over the top of his head and the arrows that crossed it, or maybe it was the camouflaged jacket he wore. Something about him just stood out.

He walked down to the dock, where there were plenty of men trying to catch fish. I could totally get something... He thought to himself. And he was probably right - he could hit just about anything with his bow. He continued down the wooden path, looking for a tavern, or somewhere he could get a drink, since his canteen was completely dry.

Faldtis was already in the tavern, indulging in his favourite passtime of getting drunk and finding a fight, except he drank alone and in a sullen mood. He had been on the road for a few months now, but it still seemed like yesterday he had watched his guild-mates fall beneath the swords of the town guard. Cradling his glass at his seat alone in the corner, his eyes flickered between each of the patrons; a high elf, the portly halfling bartender, and numerous fishermen come in for a quick drink after sitting along the dock for hours. Faldtis called for another drink, and stroked the crossbow on the table with a grim fondness.

Last edited:
LAZAROS ARTEM
「mercenary ∙ hunter ∙ animal enthusiast 」

Lazaros watched his surroundings with interest, as did the gyrfalcon that perched on his shoulder. The tavern was nothing special, and much like any other that he had been to - not much, but enough whenever he wanted to meet someone. Taverns seemed to be the popular choice for a meeting place, and he leaned against the back wall and watched everyone go about their business. There were a few interesting individuals among the crowd, but none that made him or Athena too concerned.
template by astraea

Ikasia was sitting on a broken down wall of what once was a house. The family that lived here had left, nobody had cared for the house and it had fallen apart. What wasn´t stone had rotten, the stone walls only partly remaining. There, the white haired elf was sitting, meditating. The breeze was refreshing, coming from the ocean with its new, everytime unique smell. Her swords where they usually remained, she never took them away for meditation.

Meditiation was a way for Ikasia to both, refresh what had happened, keep the memory of those she wanted to honor back to life. She could still see them. Miyoshi, Okuma and of course her brother, Ajisai. Cursing those who had taken them from her so cowardly. She would avenge, one day. She could not let rage blind her. One precise strike, not many failed slashes of rage.

Sitting there, closed eyed, she listened to the sound of the sea and the people in the village. Relaxing. But an act of carefulness too. She was trained to rely on her ears should her eyes be closed, she practiced that everyday. Should any threat come up, she would notice and react. Not that she expected it, but she was ready none the less.

Finally reaching what seemed to be a tavern, given the numerous men drinking outside, and of course the large sign that said "TAVERN" on it, Reid smiled just a bit and walked in. His smile slowly faded as he was greeted by dirty looks from many of the patrons of the tavern. After all, if it wasn't for his five o'clock shadow, most people would think he's 16 years old. He kept his head tilted down and walked over to the bar, sitting down in an empty seat, far away from the others.

When Eskil entered the tavern, it was as dead as the last bandit camp he saw - after he cleaned it up. Since his last contract (a beast that was killing hunters, in the woods of Domaria), he was seeking a new job again. And after 16 years of mercenary work, he knew where to look. Well, technically 17 - he was gone from the orphanage a few days before his eighteen spring, thanks to that accident. It was an hellhole, but it was his hellhole. Also, his birthday was coming soon.

Anyway, the tavern was generally the place where all mercenaries came to have a good time. But now? Among those that didn’t wear a soldier uniform and that looked armed, two were looking down like if they were in grief, one looked like so ill-at-ease that he seemed to want to burry himself, and the last one was...watching. Just watching with his hawk. Like a creep.

In this grim place, there was only one thing that could possibly lighten up the mood. It would cost to Pepper a share of his last pay, but to desperate times, desperate mesures.

He took a fistful of pieces from his pouch, turned to the barman, banged on the counter with his palm and shouted:

- A round for the house!

When he heard someone offer to pay for everyone's drinks, Reid's head immediately shot up, looking around. Being slid a mug of beer a few seconds later, he grinned wide and took a swig, nodding at the man who payed. That's all it really took to completely change Reid's mood - one good deed. Then again, it's the same way the other way around. One bad thing could make him spiral down to rage or misery.

Faldtis looked up as some of the patrons cheered the man who bought a round. He took the extra drink with silence, and gave a curt nod to the dragonborn that had so generously spent his money. His plan to get drunk and find a fight was slowly coming to fruition, and he felt his mood improve ever the slightest. Calling for the tavern's strongest drink, he downed it in one gulp, stood up, stretching. Cracking his knuckles, he scanned the room for the most drunken patron.

Delilah Van-Attre - The Drunken Whale
"Lass, you're trying to tell us thatyou actually know how to use those blades?" A man asked, watching as a young eleven woman chuckled as she downed the last swig of her ale.

"Why would I carry the damned things if I didn't?" She asked, cocking her eyebrow.

"For show obviously, you know what some men would want to do with pretty little elven lass like yourself," He chuckled with a slight sneer, leaning forward a bit.

"Oh? Men like yourself then?" Deliah said, standing frokm her seat. "I'll be seeing you gents later," She added, picking up her tankard, joining the cheers after a man announced he's be vying the next round. Facing the men she has been talking to with a wibk, sshe walked away, taking a seat at the bar to get her free drink.

“Yes, of course.” Grey told the sailor who was visiting her. he stood in front of a wooden chest with many rows of small drawers. Each with a small number engraved on the front of it contained many of her processed ingredients for medicine as well as finished medicine. While she mulled through the drawers she pulled small handmade envelopes out, each with the matching number from the drawer they came from scrawled on them. “A sailor with seasickness is a bit of irony you know.” She said ribbing the man a bit.

“Yeah but what else is there to do here, eh?” the man grumbled back. “Besides its just for the start of the trip, after that I’m fine.” He says dismissing Grey. He had been in enough times and got this kind of treatment most of the time.

Satisfied with the ingredients she had Grey poured them into a ceramic bowl mixing them well before putting them in a new envelope. “You know the drill, half with water in the morning and at night and you should have your legs by then.” He stated as she headed over to the sailor putting the envelope in his hands.

“Thank you, sir,” the man replied thankfully. He only knew a small amount about Grey since they had arrived about two years ago. She bought the small lodge just on the edge of town and hung a military medic banner up in front in the absence of an actual sign, and since then have been treating the people since. “Will the usual payment suffice?” he brought Grey two good fish from his catch when he returned as payment for the medicine.

Grey nodded to the sailor. In this area it was less common that she received money compensation. Especially from the locals. However, this meant that she was always well stocked and had to do very little work outside of her treatment. It was a humble living, and though Grey though that she would adjust more and more these kinds of interactions just didn’t satisfy. It was most handing out medicine for the sic. The occasional broken bone. It was both humble and boring compared to working in a mercenary group.

The man turned to leave hesitating for a moment he half turned back. “Were really grateful to you Grey. We don’t know what your doing here in such a small corner of the world, but it’s definitely to our benefit.” The man bowed his head for a moment in respect. “We don’t leave till morning, you should join us in the tavern.” The man invited. He looked Grey in the piercing silver pools that sharply looked back. With half her face covered it was difficult to determine her mood.

“Perhaps a bit later, it’s been a quiet day, so I could cut loose a bit.”

The man nodded. “See you later then.” He stated leaving the building. He wasn’t asking grey on a date or anything. Not a soul in this town knew Grey was a woman. They wrote off any feminine features as “the elf in him” and after a short period nobody was the wiser.

Grey sighed. She had a bit of work to do before she could go out. Heading back to the drawers she began putting together her next batch of fever medicine.

~~~​

The man arrived in the bar a few minutes later. There were a few odd characters about, though for a port town this wasn’t that unusual. “’Hoy, Thomas!” shouted a man. The man who just entered the bar looked to his fellow crewmen sitting around a table with drinks. Joining them he sat. “just get back from Grey’s?” one of them asked. “Yeah” Thomas nodded. “Good! Wouldn’t want to watch you chum the water all day.” The man joked laughing at Thomas’s expense.

“Heard that he is an old mercenary. You believe that?” stated another man, “What would his type be doing out here?”

“I’ve seen him training too” another man chimed in “I recon he’s good enough in a fight to beat any of us.”

“I’ve seen doctors in may ports. Grey is not like they are.” An older sailor chimed in.

“Enough gossip you old crones.” Thomas said to the others at the table. “He might come in later. If you have a pair, you could just ask him yourself.”

Last edited:
Delilah Van-Attre - The Drunken Whale
"Lass, you're trying to tell us thatyou actually know how to use those blades?" A man asked, watching as a young eleven woman chuckled as she downed the last swig of her ale.

"Why would I carry the damned things if I didn't?" She asked, cocking her eyebrow.

"For show obviously, you know what some men would want to do with pretty little elven lass like yourself," He chuckled with a slight sneer, leaning forward a bit.

"Oh? Men like yourself then?" Deliah said, standing frokm her seat. "I'll be seeing you gents later," She added, picking up her tankard, joining the cheers after a man announced he's be vying the next round. Facing the men she has been talking to with a wibk, sshe walked away, taking a seat at the bar to get her free drink.
Ikasia was done with her meditation when she noticed an increase in the people entering the bar. Figuring that would be a good place to hear some gossip and probably get a new mission, she arose, checked her equipment and made her way to the tavern.

Entering, she saw some men, who apperantly just looked after an elven woman, turn to her. "Another one!", one of them cheered. They immediatly surrounded the elf that had just entered. Ikasia looked them dead in the eyes with her one eye, that was visible. "You are blocking my way.", she stated. The men chuckled. "Whats with women and swords these days. Fewest actually know how to use them." Ikasia did not answer. She just looked the man in the eye. Her constant glare seemed to trigger a kind of reaction in him. As if it was magic, he became silent, moved out of the way and let the elf pass. "What was that?", one of his friends asked. "I´ve seen the look in her eyes before. A few times. None of the people i saw it with before were ones i want trouble with. I´d rather not try my luck."

Sitting down next to the other elven woman, Ikasia´s fist slammed down on the table, afterwards showing a one. Without a word spoken, she got served an ale. As that gesture was known through all kin and languages.

Ikasia was done with her meditation when she noticed an increase in the people entering the bar. Figuring that would be a good place to hear some gossip and probably get a new mission, she arose, checked her equipment and made her way to the tavern.

Entering, she saw some men, who apperantly just looked after an elven woman, turn to her. "Another one!", one of them cheered. They immediatly surrounded the elf that had just entered. Ikasia looked them dead in the eyes with her one eye, that was visible. "You are blocking my way.", she stated. The men chuckled. "Whats with women and swords these days. Fewest actually know how to use them." Ikasia did not answer. She just looked the man in the eye. Her constant glare seemed to trigger a kind of reaction in him. As if it was magic, he became silent, moved out of the way and let the elf pass. "What was that?", one of his friends asked. "I´ve seen the look in her eyes before. A few times. None of the people i saw it with before were ones i want trouble with. I´d rather not try my luck."

Sitting down next to the other elven woman, Ikasia´s fist slammed down on the table, afterwards showing a one. Without a word spoken, she got served an ale. As that gesture was known through all kin and languages.

As more people entered the tavern, Reid began to notice some of the men and women who entered were carrying all sorts of weapons. As one woman sat next to him in an empty seat by another, he sat up straight and finished his drink. Pushing the mug back over to the bartender, he adjusted the bow that was around his back, and waited for something to happen. Anything. With this many people who'd just been given free drinks, there was bound to be something.

Pepper smiled, seeing everyone stepping up to the bar. It was already better. He took for himself a mug of ale, then took a second look to those that looked like mercenaries.

The uneasy one and the dark elf gave him a nod. However, the kid’s mood seemed to change pretty brutally. A sensible one? Those were rarely fitting in this rough life, but who knows? The creep was still...creepy. New heads came in, including...hold on. Were these man harrassing the gals? They should know better. For having fought side by side with women more than once, Pepper learned that they could be as deadly and competent than men. The events solved themselves pretty quickly, not letting him time to intervene. He had to admit: they had guts, neither losing their cool or letting themselves be crushed.

After his second mug, his vision began to blur. In an attempt to keep his focus, he fixed the dark elf, who seemed more familiar every second. Maybe in a city? He didn’t met him. Was he wanted? Or famous? Slowly, gently, the dragonborn’s self-control slipped. He walked to the dark elf.

-You look pretty young for this kind of job, kiddo. Are you sure you’re strong enough for it? I’m not certain.

ShakinMcBacon ShakinMcBacon

Last edited:
Arelia got up off of the box she made her seat during the show she put on and grabbed a 5 ft long narrow object wrapped in a blue blanket. She adjusted the saber sheathed at her side and rubbed her eyes. She looked around and saw a medical shop and she began walking towards it. As she reached the door a sailor stepped out. They nodded at each other as a greeting and then went on their way. Entering the shop was a new experience for her. She had never been at this town before, and she never had an interest in alchemy to see something similar. Her drowsy, baggy eyes looked straight at the shopkeeper who was preparing something, Arelia didn't know what was being made with the unfamiliar ingredients.

"Do you have anything to deal with drowsiness?"

Arelia was barely holding herself up even with the help of the wrapped object to support her, but she still managed to set some copper coins on the counter as payment.
Zane Zane

Almost as soon as Thomas left another entered. Grey was focused on what she was doing, barely acknowledging the woman who entered. It was important to be precise and thorough. She listened to the request and could hear the coins on the table. The money did peak her interest, she didn’t have much in the way of money. After a few moments she was satisfied with the batch she had just finished. Wrapping them tightly in twine to keep them together she puts them in yet another drawer. “sleep is usually be-….” She turned to the woman and she was speaking her words cut off as she caught sight of her. Grey was not taken back by her image, she had seen a lot of things, but the woman’s dark bruised eyes told her this wasn’t as simple as someone simply needing to sleep.

“oh..” she said lightly under her breath walking over to her counter to get a closer look. Reaching out she grabbed the head of the woman looking at the marks around her eyes and into her eyes themselves. “hmmm.” Grey mumbles into the collar of her jacket. “you definitely need more rest.” She states almost more to herself than to her customer. She rummaged though more drawers and a couple of cupboards. Gathering a few items, she returns laying them out, she spread the coins out counting them quickly. Biting her lip for a second trying to figure out if she could take such a hit to her pocketbook. Her silver eyes scanned the woman once more.

“this one will help keep you awake. Put in your tea at breakfast is preferable.” She opened the envelope to reveal little white pellets. “a pinch of this will help you sleep.” She opens a small pouch taking a small pinch out to show the ideal amount. “its bitter and terrible but works.” She looked at the vial she had in front of her. it was expensive but would likely be the most useful to the woman. “this.. is… important.” She states deciding to give it to the woman despite the loss. “put a few drops on a cloth or your sleeve and breath it in while you try and sleep. It will make you fall into a deep sleep, with the other you should be able to sleep better.”

Grey scooped the coins of the counter. Putting them in her jacket pocket she waited for the woman, before she went back to work. ‘so much for a good night drinking’ she thought to herself.
Demonsoul Demonsoul

Arelia looked at the medicine offered to her, at the explanation of importance she reached into another coin purse and placed a single gold coin on the counter. And then she left the store. The gold coin was from her family to pay for her classes at the academy, but she was kicked out before she could use all of it. It became her money for emergencies, but Arelia believed that others shouldn't be getting losses because of her. And so she paid a gold coin, perhaps it was more than the medicine was worth but she didn't have any silver pieces to spend, and the remaining copper was to buy alcohol.
Outside of the shop Arelia looked out at the sun, still high in the sky and figured that it was time for her to get some sleep, especially now that she had an easy way to fall asleep. Not getting sleep in over 4 days was draining on her and she needed sleep to be able to manage her travels the next day. What she really wanted though, was an actual paying job. Arelia found a comfortable alleyway and took a pinch as instructed to help her sleep. She didn't take the deep sleep medicine as she didn't trust others to not rob her while she slept. She was a light sleeper and so could be easily awoken if someone tried to rob her, or unpreferably, someone made loud noise.
Zane Zane

Faldtis grinned. First this man would give him drink, now he would give him a fight.

"Strong enough to beat your scaly ass, I reckon," He spoke, brash and confident as the drink began to take over. He didn't care about the unnaturally large amount of armed people in the small building, nor did he care for his own well being. Without a word he plucked a bottle off the bar, ignored the cries of the bartender, and smashed it on the counter. Makeshift weapon in hand, he swung it at the dragon born that stood before him, his mood now vastly improved.

Pryno Pryno

Reid jumped up from his seat, as he heard a glass smash. He backed up and grabbed the handle of his skinning knife, not yet pulling it out of its sheath. Looking around to see if anyone else would join the fight, his breathing became slightly faster. He didn't exactly want to fight anyone, which was very ironic, given his new line of work.

Eskil looked at the broken glass, shining with the candle’s light. Holding his breath at first, then chuckling, then frankly laughing. While he took back his breath, he put a copper coin on the counter.

-The bottle is on me.

He turned back to the dark elf, stepping closer. He looked like a decent folk, maybe even a decent warrior, but he had to see for himself what his future brother in arms was made of.

-I’ve gotta admit, you have guts, kid. Now do your worst!

While saying this, he swinged his tail at his foe, along with an uppercut.

Faldtis stepped back quickly, barely dodging the tail that threatened to knock him off his feet. Pulling back the bottle to throw, another patron grabbed his arm. Whirling to meet this new foe, he was met face to face with a very drunk and very angry fisherman. The man's breath reeked, and Faldtis grabbed the man's arm, swinging him forward and off his feet with one quick motion. The man was now at Faldtis' feet, with one of the unlucky fisherman's arms in an iron grip as Faldtis began to pummel the new, although not altogether unwanted, foe. With each abrupt kick, the man's groans and protests grew louder, until it seemed Faldtis would never end his merciless onslaught. Eventually it did, and he let go of the man's arm, leaving him too weak to even groan. By now Faldtis was panting, and had a dangerous glint in his eyes.

"Right, where were we?" He stepped over the fisher, now properly warmed up.

Pryno Pryno

Last edited:
LAZAROS ARTEM
「mercenary ∙ hunter ∙ animal enthusiast 」

There was a bit of a delight when someone announced that the drinks were on him, but Lazaros remained where he was. Athena's feathers ruffled a little at the sudden cheers of delight, but a few gentle strokes smoothened her feathers down again.

Lazaros continued to watch the crowd, waiting for something interesting to happen.
template by astraea

While Faldtis was distracted by a fisherman, Eskil quickly loosened a chair leg. Now in a duellist pose, his improvised weapon in hand, he waited for his foe to resume the fight.

-Hey, I’m right here, you know?

To support his remark, he took off his shoe and aimed at the dark elf. He missed miserably and the footgear landed on the face of one of the men that harassed the two women earlier. Smiling, the dragonborn shrugged.

- I would say I didn’t intend to do that, but I’m not sure I would believe myself.

The group of rude men standed up, visibly pissed off. Drunk and ready to punch, they began to walk towards them. This could end badly. Faldtis concluded his altercation with the fisherman. His chair leg still in hand, the dragonborn looked at the dark elf.

- Er, kiddo? I know this is the oldest trick in the book, but I suggest you look behind you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back