• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The blood of war

Hmm... Sound like it might be interesting, but that still depends on how the system/dice actually work.

Hi Korigon!

Is the relatively open setting so that people can come up with their own ideas, ex., lords with names for their own estates? Or is the setting/history part of the work-in-progress?

I'm also interested in seeing the dice mechanics. Adjustments to the dice rolls may be a way for you to enforce that realistic gameplay you're looking for.

There's also a forum to get advice on developing setting and mechanics.

vinom said:
Hmm... Sound like it might be interesting, but that still depends on how the system/dice actually work.
As soon as I can, I'm going to get a ( Hopefully ) detailed guide up on how the system will work. TL;DR, your life is probably going to be based on luck!

Cirno said:
Hi Korigon!
Is the relatively open setting so that people can come up with their own ideas, ex., lords with names for their own estates? Or is the setting/history part of the work-in-progress?

I'm also interested in seeing the dice mechanics. Adjustments to the dice rolls may be a way for you to enforce that realistic gameplay you're looking for.
I'll be sure to check out that forum later on.

As for open settings, yes and no. You could create your own lord with his own unique home, but to actually have power over other roleplayers, well, that's for everyone to decide in character. It's always nice to have a rebellion or two.

Bump. I've redone the page so hopefully the dice mechanics are a lot clearer now.

Grey said:
This is based on Path of Exile, yes?
You've got a lot to learn.
What's the use of this comment?

No, it's not based on Path of Exile, though the name Wraeclast was taken from PoE.

And yes, I realize I have a lot to learn. I'm not an incredible writer, roleplaying is just something I do for fun! How about you tell me what I could do to improve ( Or just say it's all trash ) so I could actually make an effort to get better? It's certainly not accomplishing anything if you just say I have a lot to learn.

Thanks!

Certainly. That's exactly the attitude I was looking for.

First; the setting demands development. I'm getting a general medieval European fantasy vibe - not very ambitious or interesting, but functional. Especially if you put the work in to make it feel believable and textured. But that's all conjecture as your setting section tells us little, which in turn tells us little about how our characters would fit into this world, which begs questions like 'why does my character care?'

Second; the roles are mostly meaningless. They're distinctions of social class and have no bearing on the mechanics, and those social distinctions lack meaning until the setting is developed enough to contextualize them. Also, the division of women into their own subsection is just embarrassing in 2015.

Third; the mechanics. It's a coin toss. I do genuinely like the way you're encouraging teamwork and alliances with this, but for me that system is too rough and light to appeal.

If the system was great, it would make up for the loose setting. If the setting was great, the system would be icing.

I hope this is some help, and doesn't come across too harsh - you clearly have potential, and if you ever want advice, material, or feedback, feel free to ping me.

@Grey

I agree with you completely with the first point, and with hindsight, I think I might have rushed to post this idea. I will definitely be working on the setting. Without a doubt, I struggle quite a lot with making a successful backstory and I'll definitely work on this.

For the second point, most websites I've roleplayed on have been that way. I can't exactly blame it on the people I've roleplayed along side, but it's just a force of habit. If people here would prefer most in-depth classes, I can work on that. Also, concerning women, I just wanted to show how some roles would be slightly different. But with hindsight ( Once again! ) the roles are basically identical so I will probably make that disappear soon!

Finally, for the mechanics, I'm keeping the coin toss idea. If it doesn't appeal to people, that's alright. It's probably the only thing that sets this roleplay apart from your stereotypical fantasy-openworld-medieval-warrior story.

And no, I'm actually quite happy to receive constructive criticism. I have a lot of flaws and as long as someone points them out with the intent of helping me improve, it's whatever! Thanks for the offer and feedback.

I actually have a fairly beefy mechanical system for RPs in this genre, if it'd be any use to you.

See, the combat system you have renders combat as a high-stakes, last-resort thing - which is excellent as long as combat doesn't form the backbone of the RP (which is why you want that really detailed setting for people to engage with). It being about mercenaries, I get the impression combat might come up a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back