The Avaricious Harpy

Prince Thaddeus paused briefly at the sound of the unfamiliar voice and turned his attention to the new arrival at the table. It was immediately apparent that this man was a half-orc, and his appearance and attitude indicated that he had seemingly embraced that part of his heritage with gusto. He knows of Nameless Intent and speaks it freely, so I assume he's trustworthy. But something about him...he reminds me of my trainers, and I sense he could end me with little effort.

The young Prince put on a broad smile that nearly concealed his nervousness, and extended his hand. "Prince Thaddeus Percival Armbrister the Fourth, Fifth Earl of Dalington and Second Viscount of Sternshire! Delighted to meet you!"

Istar immediately turned to face the source of the rather gravelly voice , just as happy and energetic as she was before. Trusting as she was , the friendly smile upon his hard features caused her to believe he was some sort of ally to them even before he even mentioned their Guild. The fact that he was a half-orc didn’t bother her as it would’ve most other Elves or Paladins - likely due to the fact that she was much friendlier than most Elves or Paladins. If anything , she felt a little embarrassed that she hadn’t noticed him while she was waiting for a Guild Officer , though her joy at having finally met one overwhelmed any other emotion she had on the matter.

As soon as her human comrade introduced himself the Paladin eagerly extended her hand , smiling very broadly. “Hello , I’m Istar Valerys , I’m a Paladin of Corellon Larethian. It’s wonderful to meet you , sir!” She reached for her pack and set it on the table , along with a very small pouch she kept in her hand. “I’m assuming you need to evaluate our performances in the Trials before you can decide whether we’re to be welcomed to the guild? If you need to see what items I collected throughout my adventure , they’re all in these two containers , although I must warn you there’s other items in both of those if you choose to simply dump them onto the table. I disintegrated the massive Skeletal Abomination if my combat performance is of more interest to you - it’s remains make up most of the dust covering me and the table , actually. I didn’t encounter anything truly dangerous to me beyond it.” Her words were delivered a little fast and with an extremely excited aura about her , the young Elf all too eager to start her new adventure.

The man looks to Thaddeus and blinks a few times as the list of titles is recited. "That's a long name." His free right hand extends to meet yours, the forced smile leaving his features. "How bout Thad?" His grip is solid and the one shake firm, you start to confirm your suspicion about this man. "Names Keth."

The overly enthusiastic, bright and bubbly, voice brought a slight snarl to his lip as he met her hand with his and gave it a strong squeeze. Holding it the entire time she spoke. "I ain't a sir, just Keth." Only letting go when she reached for her pack, shaking his head a bit. "I don't need to see anything." Sweeping his gaze between both of them. "Did you find the statue?" Looking back to later as he took a quick sip from his flask. "Just a yes or no Longears."

It would be clear to anyone who had done any sort of interview or negotiations or deals that Keth did not do any of those with and frequency. It is also clear that he does not seem to fond of elves, given his demeanor towards Istar.

-------------------------
Keth strength check (handshake) vs Istar:
Roll(1d20)+2: 19,+2 Total:21

If Keth wins, Istar's is a little sore but not actually damaged.

If Istar wins they both have a good impression of how strong the other is.

HK Fifty HK Fifty this is just a straight strength check. Just roll the d20 and add just Istar's strength bonus.

Istar wasn’t prepared for such a strong handshake from the Guild Officer - though to her credit she didn’t let it appear as if she registered any pain , still smiling just as wide. The fact that he displayed minor hostility towards her failed to dampen her indomitable spirit , if anything emboldening her to attempt to have a better relationship with him. ‘I’ll make sure to use his first name to not upset him. At least we have that similarity to base our friendship on!

The Paladin turned her pack back towards her and started to dig through it , making sure the golden statue was within easy reach. Given her swift , excitable demeanor , it seemed rather inevitable that she was able to respond before the Prince. “Yes I did , Keth. Would you like me to return it to you now?” Her green eyes shined bright with anticipation now , eagerly awaiting her full acceptance into the guild.

——————————
Strength check (handshake) vs Keth: Roll(1d20)+3: 10+3 Total:13

Last edited:
Thaddeus returned Keth's handshake as best he could. His years of training and hard work afforded him a strength that wasn't readily apparent to those who judged him based on his appearance and station, but it was quickly clear that strength was nothing compared to the strength Keth had from his heritage and years of real experience.

He winced slightly at the shortened version of his first name. Memories of the younger parts of my life with my brother. He wasn't cruel, but he knew, and still knows, that name makes me feel like a child. And no title! But it seems discretion is the better part of valor here, particularly since I'll seemingly be getting my marching orders from Keth. "Yes s...Keth. Thad is fine. And I believe I have it here."

The Prince turned to reach into his bag. As he went to withdrew the statue, he saw sudden movement to his side as Istar went for her statue. He smiled broadly and waited for her to finish speaking with Keth. I don't know that I could do something speedier than her, no matter how hard I tried.

The half orc shook his head at the unwavering bubbly eager to please attitude of the elf. "Did I ask for it? Or just confirmation you acquired it?" Looking to both of them with a raised eyebrow and a slight curl in his upper lip, which was hard to tell if it was intentional or as a result of the small tusk pushing it up. The wince did not go unnoticed, but no further mention of the name or lack title. Yet. "They're not worth anything to me. Keep'em." With a small nod he leaned back in the chair.

From inside his coat Keth pulled out two small pouches, each about the size of a closed fist, and dropped them in the middle of the table. "You'll need these."

Through the bag you could feel something vibrating gently and part of the bag is comfortably warm to the touch.

When you look inside the small bag you find several ceramic tiles with a single rune carved into it.

There is also a simple but masterfully crafted brooch. It has a mask sitting across the hilt of a bastard sword, both made of onyx set in a field of mother of pearl, this is turned into a kite shield design. Around the edge is gold, holding it all in.

Istar noticed the slight wince the human gave at the shortened form of his name Keth used , but assumed it was due to the lack of deference the nickname offered. ‘Though since Keth is very likely ranked far above the two of us , it’s somewhat fitting he chooses to eschew whatever ranks we have in our own societies. Though the fact he chose to shorten Prince Thaddeus’ name is something of an odd choice. Perhaps he wants his juniors to have names no longer than his own?’ If the chastisement bothered her she didn’t give much of any external sign. She was , however , slightly surprised that he allowed them to keep the solid golden statues. Nevertheless she happily nodded , closing her pack and putting it back upon her shoulders.

Once the two fist-sized pouches appeared on the table the Paladin swiftly scooped one up and pulled it open , eagerly gazing into the contents of what she assumed to be a gift. She found herself drawn to the beautifully crafted brooch immediately , taking it out of the pouch with an all-too-eager smile gracing her features. The fact that it was a simpler design drew her eye to it all the more , along with the striking color scheme. “It’s so beautiful! Thank you for giving it to me , Keth. That’s very kind of you! Does it have any special properties beyond bearing the symbol of Nameless Intent? Am I allowed to wear it openly , or are we to conceal our affiliation with the Guild?”

Last edited:
Thaddeus released the statue, turned back from his pack, and reached for the remaining pouch with a slight grin. "Well I was wondering if these might be some sort of trapped item as a test, but Istar seems to have dealt with that head on."

The Prince flipped the top of the pouch open, trying to watch Keth and Istar as he did so. He carefully inverted it, lightly dropping the contents into his hand. Lifting one tile up by the corners, Thaddeus examines it, then replaces all of them in the pouch.

Finally, he turns his attention to the brooch, rotating it and rolling it over in his hand. "I've seen better craftsmanship than this, but only a small handful of times. It is beautifully made." He lifted his head to ask Keth about it, but sat back upon hearing the Paladin's question.

Istar noticed the weight of the statue for the first time as she replaced it in her bag and shouldered it, the statue was much lighter then it should be if it was solid gold.

Keth slowly shook his head at the speed and eagerness the elf was showing. 'I won't have to worry about cursed or trapped items with her around.' He thought as he sipped from his flask again, looking too Thaddeus and raising an eyebrow. "Does she ever stop?"

"It's not kindness. It's required." Capping his flask and putting it back in his coat. "It does have properties," The half orc stood started for the door. "Which are there to keep you safe should you fall off the ship. And wear it openly or don't. But always wear it." He locked eyes with both of you with a look that made it clear this was not up for discussion. "You'll get specifics as we travel, we've got a job." He strode to the door, picking up a double bladed great axe that was leaning next to the door, giving the bartender wave-salute as he stepped into bright daylight expecting the others to follow.

Thaddeus took a drink from his tankard and grinned. "I've only known her for a few moments, but no, not that I can detect."

Even with Keth's seeming comfort with Nameless Intent being openly shown, the Prince decided that discretion was the better part of valor, at least for the time being. He flipped open the back of the brooch, looped it through a link on the interior of the gauntlet on his right forearm, and secured it in place.

Upon seeing Keth stand, Thaddeus quickly finished his drink, left a gold piece on the table, collected his pack, and followed Keth out of the tavern.

Istar’s eyebrow raised just slightly as she noticed just how light the seemingly solid gold statue felt in her hand , although she supposed it could’ve simply been crafted of a lighter material and plated with gold. ‘Although I’m not sure what materials could be this light , other than types of wood , which couldn’t be played over with gold that easily. Perhaps it’s some form of magic?’ Nevertheless , she found herself much more interested in the brooch to ask the Half-Orc about it at that particular moment.

The Elf seemingly didn’t mind the indirect question asked about how energetic she was , although she would’ve gladly answered it herself - not that her comrade’s answer was wrong. After Keth informed her that she was able to wear her brooch openly she quickly affixed it to the portion of her shirt collar poking out from underneath her chainshirt , draping the striking brooch over the shining Mithral links. She was just about to ask about their vessel their Team Leader got to his feet and told her it was time to leave. Throwing two gold peices onto the table she quickly got to her feet and threw her pack over her shoulders.

The young Paladin thought of grabbing her Human compatriot by the hand and pulling him along with her , but for politeness’ sake - and the fact that he seemed to be slower than she was - she chose to instead eagerly motion for him to follow along. “Come on Prince Thaddeus , we don’t want to be late for our adventure! This is going to be so fun!” Luckily for her it seemed the Prince was able to keep pace with her rather well this time , allowing her to start asking even more questions. “May I ask what the name of our vessel is , Keth? Since we’re going to be on a ship I assume we’re going to be hiking to most of our destinations , right? Well , asides from those located on the coast , of course. And if I may also ask , how does the brooch aid is in case we fall overboard? Does it allow us to breathe water? That would be so incredible!” As always , her words were delivered rather quickly and carried an exceptionally eager tone , though with the adventure so close those qualities were increasingly present in the energetic Elf’s demeanor.

Thaddeus found himself internally annoyed at the speed with which Istar got to her feet and beckoned him to come. "I was always among the fleetest of foot in all training, and this elf is running circles around me. I've often seen them move quickly, but this one seems to have magicked boots on!"

He couldn't help but smile at her boundless enthusiasm and obvious good intentions in her comment. "Don't worry, Istar, I'm coming, we'll be right on..." The Prince paused mid-sentence as more questions tumbled out of the elf, without a seeming breath between any of them. "OK, we're going to need to work on our communication a bit."

Thaddeus sighed and walked behind Istar, listening for Keth's responses.

As you step out into the bright sunlit day a cold gust of wind smacks you in the face, and gives you a sharp stab in the lungs; bringing to mind a late autumn day except it is high summer. The air is much clearer then you are used to, especially considering you are supposed to be in a port town.

As you look about you see the shops and buildings and hear the sounds and noises you would expect to see in a port town, accompanied by the smells of a market, spices and perfumes mingling with burnt metal and straw, food vendors are hawking various foods, all of which causes your stomachs to grumble. However you do not see any signs of water or anything else you would expect this near the ocean. But that could just be that you are on a hill overlooking the docks. The road stretches up to your left and down to your right. You see Keth walking down to the right, giving a curt and respectful nod to a male halfling.

Among the crowd you notice mainly human faces with a few dwarves and elf or half-elf mixed in. Besides Keth and the halfling he nodded to you see no other representatives of those races.

The half orc looks over his shoulder as you catch up. "You may ask." A small smirk on his face as he looks forward again, deciding to have some fun at the energetic elfs expense. "And we walk, ride, burrow carts, coaches and if we have to run." He quickly side steps around something . "Ugh! It does not let you breath water." Looking over his shoulder at Istar. "Do you never stop asking questions?"
-------------------------
Roll a Reflex check and post the result in the General Discussion before you post, so I can give you information for your post.

Roll a perception check.

And to add to the scene click the link, it should play in the background.

Istar took in the sights and sounds of the bustling port with wonderment , her emerald eyes darting around in an effort to see as much of the city as she could. In her excitement she quickly noticed the lone halfling and eagerly waved to him just after her Team Leader did , giving him an extremely warm smile. Seeing the Halfling made her wish she had a Halfing comrade within the team , someone she was sure would match her enthusiasm and energy. Not to mention every Halfling she had ever met had always treated her with the upmost kindness , even when others - such as Keth - found her irritating. ‘I just know if a Halfling was in our team they’d be my best friend! It’d be so wonderful! We’d do everything together , all the time , we’d be like siblings!

The Elf’s thoughts were interrupted by the gruff sounds of her Team Leader’s voice , jarring her back to reality. She gracefully skipped over a pile of manure on the ground , though with how effortlessly she avoided it and how focused she was on the Half-Orc’s answers one could’ve wondered if she had truly noticed it at all. “I.. er , suppose not , Keth? You don’t find my questions irritating , do you? I do apologize if I’m being irritating. Do you want me to stop?” In truth she had more questions still , but if he did choose to tell her to stop she’d try her best to avoid asking yet more questions of him.

———————————
Perception:Roll(1d20)+3:9+3 Total:12

Last edited:
Thaddeus strode confidently into the bustling port, attempting to project confidence and his station, despite his somewhat dirty and singed armor and clothes.

His eyes roved from the shops to the people in the streets. Ah, this feels familiar. This is my sort of place. Surely these people must know of father! Our sigil is known throughout the lands! As Thaddeus continued to look around, searching for a knowing glance, he nearly stepped in a pile of manure. With a small stutterstep around it, the Prince got his feet back under him as quickly as possible, and continued to walk with ease and confidence, as though nothing had happened, keeping up with Keth and Istar.

The halfling adjusts his grip on the proportionally large crate he is carrying to return your wave and friendly smile as you pass each other.

Thaddeus you notice two iconic things: a very distinct noise is missing from the cacophony of the town. There are no sea birds wheeling and crying. The bracing salt scent of green living water that is the ocean. You should be able to smell it even faintly mixed in with everything else.

Istar being unfamiliar with ocean or sea going communities you do not notice anything is amiss. However you do not see any large trees to indicate a forest is near, but you notice many of the buildings are made of wood.

Keth shook his head as he turned to the left into an alley way and down a series of steps. "Don't apologize. It's a sign of weakness." The half orc's swift reply is gruff and harsh, as if it was personally offensive. He readjusted the great axe over his shoulder, and in a less harsh tone he continues. "I get the impression that asking or telling you to stop would prove impossible. But maybe consider taking a breath between questions and slowing down."

Thaddeus as you watch the crowd no one seems to give an indication that they know you or your proudly worn family crest. Either they are unfamiliar or have seen many similar designs it just blends into the background.

"How about you Thad? You have any burning questions you need answered?"

Istar was overjoyed that the Halfiing waved back to her , causing her emerald eyes to glow. ‘I wish I had time to talk to him right now. I’m sure it’d be wonderful!’ The lack of a forest to supply the large amounts of timber to the largely wooden-built city struck her as slightly odd , though there was a possibility the timber could’ve been imported by the City’s owners , or the merchants inhabiting it. That would’ve made the City rather wealthy , though with the amount of traffic running through it that seemed rather plausible.

The young Paladin winced at her Team Leader’s derisive tone , keenly aware how much she had blundered. She knew that her mistake may make it harder for her to befriend the gruff Half-Orc , but now that she was aware of his strong dislike of apologies and weakness , she’d have an easier time of avoiding his ire. ‘We’ll be friends yet!’ She swiftly nodded in assent to his request , having recovered most of her eagerness rather quickly. “I promise I shall do exactly that , Keth.”

The Elf opened her mouth to ask more questions just as Keth asked the Prince for his questions. Aware her high number of questions may have pushed any of the Human’s inquiries aside , she chose to let her remaining questions wait. Asides , it was quite possible he could ask the same questions she was thinking of.

Thaddeus kept his confident grin on his face, but a close observer may notice it fall ever so slightly in the corners. Well, these people seem busy...perhaps they just haven't been looking that closely. I'm sure they would give proper reverence to father's name if they saw.

As he took a few more steps, he realized something was slightly awry in the area. "Ah, yes, I do have a question, actually. I don't know that it's a burning one, but you mentioned us taking a ship. I don't claim to be an expert sailor, but I'm fairly certain this town is no port. Is the ship a great distance away?" The Prince glanced briefly at Istar and saw her seemingly about to burst from keeping quiet. "Beyond that...nothing else pressing at this time. Just looking forward to beginning our task."

Keth nodded as he continued down the steps, which zig-zagged still down. The half orc snorted and smirked at the prince's observation and follow-up question, though the smirk was unseen by the pair of new recruits. "So this isn't a port town huh? Why do you say that? Because you can't see the ocean?"

As you continue down the wind picks up in strength, whipping at lose cloth, tugging at you. With the wind comes the biting cold again, but you are certain it was high summer before you began your trial.

As you look up you can see a tunnel of sorts passing through a brick wall. "And the great wooden hulled ships on the vast sea are the only vessels allowed?" The tone might be read as toying with the prince, whom the half orc clearly did not think of as being from a superior station.
------------------------------
Make a perception check.

Istar tried her best to stay quiet , but nevertheless she was finding it difficult to avoid bursting into yet another string of questions. Thankfully the Prince’s question was one she found interesting , and indeed one she hadn’t considered - though it was only natural she hadn’t , considering she had spent most of her life far away from ports and oceans. ‘Although it is oddly cold for being the height of summer. I couldn’t have been undertaking my Trials for more than a day , at most. Seasons don’t change that quickly , do they?’ Her Team Leader’s non-answer brought a flash of irritation to cross her features , which was quickly replaced by her typically eager , friendly smile.

The young Paladin quirked her head at the odd mention of other types of ships , unsure just what he could be implying. “What other sorts of ships are there , Keth? We aren’t going to be traveling over land in some sort of massive carriage , are we?” As she asked that question she once again took in the sights and sounds of the city , hoping to find something distinctive she might’ve missed before.

———————————
Perception:Roll(1d20)+3:14+3 Total:17 a

Thaddeus was unable to keep the look of shock off of his face after hearing Keth's comments, to the point that he nearly tripped over a cart as he stared slack-jawed at the leader's back. Even his trainer, in the harshest of moments, had never spoken to him so dismissively. And to compound it by implicitly insulting the Prince's intelligence - a trait he had always prided himself on - increased his shock and confusion tenfold.

"I...well...there..." Thaddeus stammered out. "I suppose there may be other ships, it's just, that is, I was commenting on the lack of sea air. If this is a sea port, I should be able to smell it." The Prince felt his face flush with a combination of embarrassment and anger. "Surely any reasonable person would associate a ship with the sea. I've spent my entire life coming and going on grand ships, on the sea. Your...colloquial terminology was confusing."
----------------------------------------------------------
Perception check
Roll(1d20)+5:
1,+5
Total:6
(Fitting, really, given his fit of pique)

The half orc looked back at the elf and shook his head. "Nay longears. We're not riding in one of those massive land ships in a caravan on its way to Amn." Ducking through a low opening as he continued to lead the way forward and down.

Istar through the gap you catch a glimpse of blue sky and a wisp of a cloud, and the distant horizon. It reminds you of over looking the trees of your home forest, which stood several hundred feet high. Except one thing strikes you as odd, the horizon seemed to be moving towards you.

Thaddeus this sight does not even register in your mind as you try to comprehend the man you are dealing with.

"You've much to learn Your Highness. Much indeed." The comment did not carry the same level of respect you are used to when being addressed as such. You would not call it sarcastic or derisive, but it was not meant to convey what you had come to associate with being in line for the throne.

As you pass through the low opening the view that was present through a gap disappears as you follow your team leader to the left and to a ladder leading down through the street into what you normally would think of as a sewer entrance. The offal and wretched decaying smells of unidentifiable odors is absolutely missing, replaced by what you be forgiven for thinking was a geyser of wind rushing up. As if a Air Elemental were trapped in a bottle and was trying to escape. The half orc smiles and motions down into the hole. "At the bottom all will be made clear." He gives a impish smirk and wink. "Watch the last step, lest you find out what the brooch is good for."

If you decide to climb down you arrive on a wooden platform, swayinga bit in strong cold gusts of wind. Your cloaks and lose coughing tug at you, as if trying to pull you away. Stretching before and below a great distance, many leagues and certainly higher then either of the you had ever been, lay the green lands, hills, rivers and forests of the Dalelands.
----------------------------

Please make the next post, whatever it is, here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back