The Avaricious Harpy

As the pair conversed Giles continued his scribbling, looking up on occasion as if to make sure they were still there. When the hooded figure asked of his concerns, he raised an eyebrow. "Apologies, but I was under the impression that you were familiar with the ways I prefer to overcome obstacles. If I must clarify, then so be it. I also prefer diplomatic means, but I do understand that we are being paid to complete a task however possible. Basic economic principles take hold from there, which I'm sure I don't need to elucidate you on." With a sigh, Giles snapped his book shut and placed it back within his bag. "And even then there are scenarios where diplomacy is an invalid method and thus others must be explored."

You get that sneaking suspicion of a smile from beneath the hood. "And those other methods is why individuals such as you," The hooded head looks to each you in turn. "Are employed in our organization." Both of the gloved hands rest on the table, casually laying close by the glass without choosing it. "You clearly stated your views previously, I wanted your new associate to hear them in more straight forward terms."

The robed figure reached into its sleeve and produced from it two small pouches, each about the size of a closed fist, and set them before each of you. "Inside those you will find items that will be useful to you in course of your employment."

Istar seemed to grow much happier as the two beings explained their morality and methods to her. By her understanding , they both seemed to suggest that diplomacy was the most favored course of action - though perhaps not primarily in the interest of preserving life. 'I suppose I should've expected such , however. Humans - and the rest of the younger races for that matter - rarely possess quite the level of reverence for life as the Elves.' She gave them both a gracious nod before turning to Giles. "Thank you for allowing me a greater understanding of your beliefs. It's very gladdening to hear that Diplomacy is your first choice in resolving conflicts as well , Giles." She then turned to the figure , speaking just as they set the pouch before her. "And it's just as gladdening to know that I may use a variety of methods at my choosing. While it's good to know that my abilities are treasured , I hope that diplomacy proves to be my primarily tool." The Elf then picked up the small pouch in her hands , giving an especially gracious smile to the being before drawing it open and looking inside.

Giles chuckled a bit. "Well, if I didn't I imagine any rumors about me would be vastly different." Giles took the pouch, giving it a careful look, feeling it's weight, generally appraising it. Satisfied, he looked inside the pouch to observe the contents, appraise their usefulness, and generally consider if more wordplay was in order.

Inside your bag you find several ceramic tiles with a single rune carved into it.

There is also a brooch. It is a mask of onyx sitting across the hilt of a bastard sword, also made of onyx in a field of mother of pearl white, set into a kite shield design. Around the edge is gold, holding it all in. Through the bag you could feel the brooch vibrating gently, and it's also comfortably warm to the touch.

"Those are your joining bonus, they will aid you in your missions and keep you safe aboard your ship."

Istar quirked an eyebrow at Giles' comment about rumors , though she instead chose to investigate the contents of the pouch. While she was never the most interested in jewelry , she found herself instantly drawn to the strikingly beautiful shield-shaped brooch. However , what she was most interested in were the symbolism set within it , and the strange properties it possessed. She seemed all the more intrigued when the being mentioned a ship. "It's truly beautiful.. thank you. Am I correct in assuming that this is the crest of your organization? And it feels as if it has magical properties.. may I know what they are? And , if I'm not testing your patience , am I permitted to know what sort of ship are we to be aboard?"

Giles examined the contents, finding they clearly held some worth and, should it be needed, may fetch a decent price at market. It was the comments about a ship that properly got his attention, though. "Ah, straight to business, then? Praytell, what exactly will we be doing? Or will you keep us in the dark for laughs?" There was no hostility in his voice, merely light humor.

The gloved hand made an indifferent gesture. "Crest would be one way to view that. It is the badge of office that grants you protections of the law in certain places." The glass was raised to the shadows of the hood, presumably to allow the figure to drink from it. "You are correct it does contain some enchantments. They will keep your thoughts private, allow you to pass falsehoods without detection, as well as hiding your moral and ethical perspective from being discerned."

The robed figure looked to Giles as he appraised the brooch. "If these items are sold or traded there will be consequences."

Looking back to Istar the robed figure continued. "You will be aboard the Airship Dragon's Coral. Which is another reason to keep this," A gloved finger reached out to tap the brooch in the elfs hand. "With you at all times. Should you find yourself falling from a height this will allow you to survive that fall."

Giles as the hooded head turns toward you, you get the sense of slight unease as you catch a glimpse of a smile. "You will be doing what you've been hired to do, and my humor is my own to keep. But your liaison will give you the details. He is waiting for you at the docks in Drew's Tavern, the ship departs in the morning." The figure stands in a graceful fluid motion. "Welcome to Nameless Intent."

You watch as the figure moves away from the table to the door, you hear no footsteps or see any signs of the figure walking. A small shiver runs up your spines and you can't explain why.

Istar looked at the brooch with amazement as the Figure told her of its many abilities. 'It does far more than I expected it to.. this gift is truly quite magnificent. They must prize their agents quite highly.' When the being mentioned the airship she seemed to grow rather excited , an excitement the unexplainable chill that passed through her failed to suppress. When the Elf turned to her new comrade Giles , a very broad smile graced her features. "I'm going to fly in an airship!" , she whooped. From her enthusiastic voice and demeanor it wouldn't be difficult to discern that this would be a new experience for her , and one she keenly looked forward to.

For a moment the bar good quiet as all of the patrons look towards the sound of the noise. But they return to their thoughts, or interests, the bar maid as it may be, when they see that it was simply one of the newcomers.

The only other elf in the tavern smiles at you both, and winks, raising her cup in a silent toast. The fire and candle light sparkle off of her dark hair, which has hints of blue in it like midnight on the plain. Her pale skin almost makes her look like a statue, except for the hint of warmth on her cheeks. Her green eyes flit between each of you, as if trying to discern everything about, the golden flecks shimmering like a thousand points of starlight.

Last edited:
Giles straightened as the figure told him not to sell the thing, or else. "Apologies. Old habit of mine." Still, the vagueness of what they were given and the use of yet another intermediary got him a bit suspicious. Still, intuition told him that people don't usually give out valuables to future corpses, so it should all be fine.

As Istar turned to him, he smiled in return. "Yes we shall. Should be quite the exciting experience, I imagine." He briefly considered the brooch for a moment, his smile replaced with contemplation. 'One step closer.' Stashing the brooch, he stood up, ready to head out, not noticing the elf observing them.

Istar flushed as her excitement drew the collective attention of the patrons. 'Perhaps I should try to keep myself a little more.. understated.' Her broad grin and rapid nod to Giles , however , still portrayed quite the sense of enthusiasm. As she stood up and affixed the brooch to the right side of her shirt's collar , draping it over her chainmail to the left of Corellon's symbol , she caught her fellow Elf's gaze. Smiling from ear-to-ear she swiftly tried to grasp Giles' hand , attempting to pull him along as she darted over to the Elf. "It's very wonderful to meet you! I'm Istar , I'm from High Forest , I'm a Paladin of Corellon Larethian. May I ask your name?" Her words were very rapid , the young Elf scarcely pausing for breath as she eagerly introduced herself.

Last edited:
The female elf nods her head politely, though there was laughter in her eyes. "Salutations Istar Paladin of The Protector from the High Forest. Welcome to the company, I am Tamra Morningstar, priestess of the Moonmaiden." Her eyes glanced back towards Giles. "It would seem your partner is getting ready to leave without you." A small smirk played across her lips as she raised her glass to them. "It's never good to separate the group. Best to catch him up." Her hand waves gently, like a leaf falling, as she speaks. "Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle."

Giles was content to walk out and locate the docks so they could get on the airship and be underway. However, a certain excitable elf had significantly different plans as she yanked his hand, and by extension the rest of his body, over towards the other elf. He straightened himself out as they stopped, unintentionally participating in the conversation as he cleared his throat to try and get Istar's attention. "I doubt catching up would be a problem for her." He smiled as he spoke to try and make everyone comfortable, while silently noting not to get on Istar's bad side due to her strength and grip. "Oh, my name is Giles Grey, by the way. Pleasure to meet you Tamra."

Istar failed to notice her new comrade's attempts to grab her attention , much too focused on what her fellow Elf was saying. At first she failed to understand who the 'Moonmaiden' was that Tamra was referring to , but when the realization came to her her face lit up with sheer wonder. 'She's a Priestess of Selune? I've never met anyone who worshipped any non-Seldarine deity! It must be so different for her , worshipping the Lady of Silver.. I can't wait to ask her about it!'

Just as all the excited thoughts ran through her head and it seemed as if she was about to ask another series of questions , both Tamra and Giles reminded her of the need to continue on , causing her pale features to redden ever so lightly. She first turned to the Human , looking at him rather sheepishly. "Apologies Giles.. Perhaps I let my enthusiasm overtake me there." She then returned to facing the other Elf , some of the same eager curiosity returning to her expression. "That's very interesting Tamra! I've never met an Elf who worships a deity outside of our own Seldarine pantheon. I'd love to learn more , however you are correct that Giles and I must be departing. I very much look forward to meeting you again , Tamra Morningstar , Preistess of Selune.." The Paladin seemed to think for a brief moment before she continued. "..unless you would like to join us , that is! I would personally very much enjoy having you , and the ways of Our Lady of Silver , as part of our party."

The elven priestess smiled warmly at the excitable paladin, and nodded towards Giles as he introduced himself. "No it would seem not, younger elves tend to be overly excitable and bursting with energy." Turning back to Istar the warm friendly smile remained. "I appreciate the offer, but I must decline. My own team is to arrive shortly and then we will be on our way."

Giles let out a good-natured chuckle at Tamra's comment. "It appears not. Learn something new every day." He simply nodded at her decline to join their party, understanding that she had her reasons. "But as my associate stated, we really should be off. Wouldn't want to be left behind now, would we?" Another chuckle followed his rhetorical as he turned towards the door. "May we meet again, Ms. Morningstar."

Istar looks at her comrade with a slightly confused expression , failing to find any humor in Tamra's statement. 'It's a simple truth , is it not?' She frowns slightly at her fellow Elf's refusal to join with them , but nods in understanding nevertheless. "That's very understandable. And Giles is very correct we must be going , unfortunately. I hope to see you again soon , Tamra , Preistess of Our Lady of Silver." Smiling rather widely the Paladin gives a formal bow , deciding to return the poetic farewell the Preistess had given her earlier. "Lotesse Corellon vara lle."

The elven priestess smiled warmly and nods in return to your bow and to Giles winks and raises her glass in a parting wordless toast as you turn towards the door.

It is clear that she would warmly enjoy your company again.

Rihaly materialized from the dark depths of the labyrinth with wide eyes dilated to pick up any hint of light. The sudden roaring fire was actually fairly overwhelming and she flinched from it at first, shielding her eyes with the lantern that seemed to bring her here. It only took her a few seconds to adjust (ten, tops) and then she straightened to her full diminutive height and gave the magical device a look of startled respect. I did not think that would work, she thought, and her face echoed some of it. She entered the tavern she was apparently intended to visit, deftly side-stepping a human on his way out the door, and at last pushed back her hood.

Not seeing anyone she recognized, she briefly entertained the bizarre idea that this was some kind of guerrilla marketing campaign for the unnamed watering hole, but surely that was a little much to ask of the casual drinker and few taverns could afford to be that choosy about who they served. Not in this economy. She stowed the lantern in her shoulderpack and gave the female human a distrustful look before returning the friendly greetings with a small smile to the moon elf and the dwarf. In the end she headed for the bar and ordered a mug of ale and one of whatever the dwarf appeared to be having*. Matters of world-shaking finance dealt with, she made her way across to the dwarf and dropped into a seat by her. Sliding her gift beverage across the table, she gave her most winning smile and asked, "So... can you tell me where I am, and how in Toril I got here?"

Perception (*Pick your poison)
Roll(1d20)+11:
15,+11
Total:26

Diplomacy (Influence attitude)
Roll(1d20)+11:
20,+11
Total:31

Just as Istar was about to leave , the door opened once again to reveal what she assumed to be another new recruit. 'She must be a part of our group as well!' She swiftly gripped Giles hand and ran over to the halfling , a very eager smile gracing her features. "Hello , my name is Istar Valerys , I'm a Paladin of Corellon Larethian from High Forest. May I learn your name? In any case , I'm happy to welcome you to Nameless Intent! I had quite many questions when I departed from my dungeon , I'd be willing to answer any of yours to the best of my ability!" The Elf's words were rapid and her voice high with excitement - there could be little doubt even among the most suspicious that Istar was fully genuine , both in her statement and her demeanor.

The man behind the bar nods at you, a knowing smirk on his face, as you order two ales in full sized pints. Turning away from the bar you get the sneaking suspicion he had been expecting you.

The dwarf smiles and accepts the proffered pint. "Thank ye lass! A free drink is great way te grease yer answers!" She took a long drink and was about to respond when the over eager elf she had watched earlier steps.

Rihaly gave the full-sized pint mug a slightly glassy-eyed stare, as though she could already feel the intoxication it promised any halfling brave enough to dive headfirst into its brown and foamy depths. Still the dwarf woman seemed happy with hers and she was just bracing herself to follow suit when a sunny-featured elf in brown and shining chainmail accosted her, towing her human companion along in her wake. The paladin's exuberant greeting washed over her like the tide, and she felt the sand eroding under her feet before she surfaced and was able to ask some of the questions that boiled behind her ears. "Nameless Intent?" The tavern she assumed. "What kind of drinking place is this, and why was I invited here? What is this opportunity? There was something about an acceptance trial. Is this a guild or a members only adventuring club?" She could class herself as an adventurer. She wouldn't say a full time adventurer, but she could hum the tune when it was in her interests to do so. At last the pressure of the unknown eased and she stopped spouting questions and shared a smile instead. "I am honored to meet you Lady Valerys," she rose and essayed a small curtsy using her cloak in lieu of skirts, then turned to the Dwarf as she took her seat. "And you are most welcome." For her a clink of pint mugs. "I am known as Rihaly, and I am most pleased to meet you both."

Last edited:
As Giles was more than ready to leave towards the airship, Istar once again yanked on his arm dragging him over to a new face he was unaware entered the bar. 'I swear, if she keeps doing this, my arm will be dislocated'. As he managed to properly stand again, he regarded the halfling with a curt nod. "Hello there. My name is Giles. Pleasure to make your acquaintance." As he extended his hand out to shake, with a smile on his face.

Rihaly reached out to take his offered hand and shook it with a ready smile before Istar took the opportunity to respond to her own deluge of questions. "Rihaly, and a real pleasure to make yours," she replied glibly. Her dimples deepened then as she nods to the joined hands by which Lady Valerys towed him. "It's not everyday that I meet a human with an elf Paladin of Corellon for a partner! There must be a story there I'm sure."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back