The Avaricious Harpy

Istar looked around with confusion on her features , her imaginative mind struggling to figure out just how the horizon was slowly approaching her. Perhaps it was some form of illusion caused by her hunger , or some other factor. Regardless she snapped out of her reverie when the Halfling called her name. "Rihaly , you don't have to call me 'Lady' Istar. We're equals - in fact I'd say you may be the one who I should be addressing as Lady. You seem to-" Just as she was about to explain her reasoning she heard Rihaly use the word 'Sky City'. "What?!? Do you mean we're on a.. a city in the sky? That can't be possible can it?" , she says as the beautiful Halfling drags her along , confusion quite evident in her tone and facial features.

Nevertheless , the Paladin very graciously smiled as her best friend introduced her , her emerald eyes lighting up as Rihaly gave her the high honor of being her 'one true friend'. After her fire-maned best friend was finished speaking the eager young Elf started speaking to the haggard looking man. "Hello! Rihaly's the best friend I've ever had , isn't that wonderful? She's so amazing! Though.. I keep telling her she shouldn't call me 'Lady' , I'm not nobility and asides she's my equal , in fact I'd say-" She was once again cut off by her delightful best friend , noticing the Halfling spring for the fish. Swiftly she sprung towards Rihaly , attempting to snatch her small friend from the air before she could reach her prize.

-----------------
Melee attack:roll(1d20)+7:13+7 Total:20

Last edited:
Istar succeeds in saving the fish from the starved halfling's viscous onslaught, practically catching the little thief mid flight.

The half-orc, you're confident of that now, merely lets out a sigh and shakes his head. "So I've got a quick fingered padfoot and a holy long ear." A cup raises you his lips, it appears small in his hand and he takes a quick drink from it. "Better then nothing I suppose." He mumbled before continuing. "If you'll set the wee one down she can have the fish," His weathered gaze turns to Rihaly. "Yes it is a bit chill at this height, always." He signals to the knave by holding up two fingers and pointing to himself and Istar. "Names Keth and you're part of my team." There's humor in his voice, but a small smile of his face, like that of one who's been told is a good way to make a positive impression but isn't motivated to really try.

Istar set her best friend down as soon as the Half-Orc told her to , her ivory features scarlet with embarrassment. "I'm very sorry Rihaly - I wasn't aware the Fish was yours to have. I didn't mean to invade your privacy or override your free will , I.. merely thought you were stealing. That was very rude of me - I apologize for that. I promise I won't do it again." 'Hopefully Rihaly still desires to be my best friend , though after how rude I was to her she has more than enough reason to condemn me.'

After her sheepish apology the Paladin turned to adress her new team leader. If she was offended by his harsh comments she didn't let it color her reaction , though her cordiality did seem rather forced. "Ah , so you're to be our Team Leader. I meant to ask who you were back at the Tavern , but the Giles' arrival.." After saying his name she looked around for the human , intending to introduce the man who apparently was the most reserved of their team , but failed to locate him. Her features flushed a deeper Crimson , the Elf briefly wincing. "Oh.. it appears we lost him. Ah.. I'm sure he'll , err , be along soon enough. Regardless , it's good to finally meet you. Is it true we are on some sort of.. sky city , Ke- Sir? And may I have a Fish as well? I've not eaten in several hours."

Rihaly doesn't stop to think about it for a second; giving an intense wriggle she plants one foot in the paladin's chain-clad side and wrenches herself backwards and down. Whether she escapes Istar's forceful grip or is simply returned to her feet, the halfling then seats herself opposite the half-orc after a single dire glance up at her erstwhile captor. My revenge will be swift, and silent. Like the fish. "He says I can have the fish," she notes pointedly. Rihaly's hard feelings pass as swiftly as a cloud moving across the face of the sun, and by the time she finishes primly slicing a morsel from the steaming fish and savouring its rich flavour she turns a bright smile across the table. "Hello Keth, you'll have to forgive my friend. She doesn't understand; she thought I was really trying to steal the fish from you, and not that you'd bought it for me so I didn't have to wait. Sorry for being slow." From her wide-eyed earnestness it is not immediately clear whether she is trying to deceive anyone or genuinely believes it herself. "Thanks so much, and here you go." She slides the price of a well-cooked fish across the table, and follows it with a shining golden statue before resuming eating her long overdue meal.

"We didn't get a chance to talk before though. What kind of work are we doing exactly, and why approach me? I have some skills, but I'm hardly a warrior." Rihaly shrugs and eats, but keeps one eye on Keth's face for a response.

Escape Artist (Elf)
Roll(1d20)+5:
13,+5
Total:18

Bluff (? Not sure if needed)
Roll(1d20)+10:
15,+10
Total:25

Sense Motive
Roll(1d20)+9:
18,+9
Total:27

The half-orc shook his head as Istar apologized for Rihaly. "Look Lady, you need to relax, get out of your tall trees and get in the muck." He glanced to Rihaly then back to Istar. "I hope it does happen again and continues. Otherwise what is the point of a sneak on the payroll if they can't thieve?" At the mention of Giles he pulled a crumpled piece of parchment from his coat pocket, and held it up as proof. "Giles has been tasked with other duties, so don't worry about him for now. And it's just Keth." He squinted a bit looking at the elf. "Longears how many half orcs do you know that knights?" He let that settle in as he turned to the ravenous halfling.

"Well I didn't buy it for you, but seeing as you were ready to kill it again it was safer to give it to you. Besides more will be coming out shortly." His other hand picked up the coins and nods slowly. "Grave robbing." The statement was dropped like a lead weight. "But also not just graves. We get told where something is and to go get it. And we do." He suspected these statements would not sit well with the holy warrior. "You were chosen because you know how to bypass traps and open things others would prefer to stay shut." You get the sense he is telling you the truth, is the most honest response you've gotten from anyone in a business deal.

Awk. Ward.

Rihaly makes short work of the first side of her freshly acquired meal, looking anywhere but at their gruff new group leader or her new elven friend. She isn't entirely sure what just happened, but the elf seems utterly shamefaced as though she'd been scolded by a parent. The half-orc seems to have high expectations for both of them as well, which she's mostly happy with. He doesn't seem to want her to do anything too far against her better judgement after all, while some of this doesn't seem like something she'd ever expected to find a paladin doing. Especially an ingenue like Istar Valerys, who was looking so crestfallen Rihaly felt for her. Her just revenge could wait.

"I can steal," she shrugs and turns her fish over to the other side. "I'm a very good thief, which is why I was surprised you'd even heard of me." She prefers her anonymity as a rule. In her ideal form of grave robbing, the unquiet dead stayed in their beds long after she was gone. He didn't seem all that impressed yet, so she followed the first golden statue on the table with the second. And that note from the floor on the room. "So, are these the trophies the note was talking about, or was it meant to be something else?" I hope not. I took everything that looked likely, but if it was that damned tapestry or I was meant to take heads then they really should have said. "And do we already have a mission, or are we waiting to get hired before we get to see the airship?"

She was still getting to know Istar, but the halfling suspects she isn't the kind of person to be impressed by earnings of larceny. At least not the sorts of things Rihaly tended to look for. She does have one idea that might work, and so she cuts a small morsel of fish, skewers it on her fork and leans over to coax the paladin into smiling again by attempting to feed it to her. "Hey, look at it this way princess. Corellon blesses those who aid others in need, yes? If you're worried about our methods, then that means we're more in need of your god's influence than most, right? Where else would you rather be?" She cuts a second morsel of fish and offers it to Istar with an understanding smile.

Last edited:
Istar opened her mouth to defend herself from the Half-Orc's accusations , but quickly shut it and lowered her gaze. She almost spoke when her new leader mentioned their tasks , but once again she quickly shut her mouth and dropped her gaze. The profoundly morose young Elf submissively allowed Rihaly to speak first , afraid of offending the Halfling further. It seemed as if she might start to sob during the extended pause before the Fire-Maned Halfling spoke.

Though the Paladin attentively listened to her teammate's words , she didn't become engaged in the conversation until the Halfling spoke directly to her. Despite her sorrow she smiled at the offering of the Fish , though instead of her usual eager smile it was the sort of smile a crestfallen person gives for the benefit of others. "I-I'm not a princess , b-but.. Y-yes , that is true. P-perhaps I'll tr-try to guide you all , a-and Corellon will bless me for it. H-here I am doing ex-exactly what Corellon would wish me to do.. An-and I m-met you.." Istar's next words were blurted out very quickly. "Are you still my best friend?" As she looked into Rihaly's beautiful features tears started to well in her emerald eyes , anticipating her former best friend to reject her as she had been so many times before by lesser friends.

Last edited:
The half orc smiled and winked at Rihaly. "We have our ways of knowing what most don't want us to know." Keth picked up both trophies and the note. "No this is what you were supposed to find, anything else was extra." As he was about to wave at the knave he arrived carrying two steaming fish plates. "Thanks. Here take these." Looking very confused the young man nodded slowly taking the shiny golden statues, mumbling something incomprehensible as he walked off.

Keth slid one of the plates towards Istar and the other to himself, while looking to Rihaly. "Yes we've got a job waiting, once we're done here I'll take you to the Dragon. But you'll want these I'm guessing." From his other pocket he produced a small pouch, in which was the same brooch Istar and Giles has received along with several small ceramic tiles.

Looking to the whimpering elf after she had spoken to Rihaly but before the halfling could answer. "Suck it up princess, you're not gonna lose your friend over this. You're supposed to a tough holy warrior, not a fragile long ears who can't leave the trees because the world is mean." While his voice is gruff, it was not condescending. "If you can't take criticism how did can I rely on you to take on the undead? I need you to be able to stand up for yourself."

The passion of halflings for good food and drink is well nigh legendary, and the subject of numerous songs and tales. Usually comical ones, but with a firm grounding in fact. It was also true that some things were more important than any empty stomach, and Rihaly sets down her fork and kicks both heels into her chair legs, sliding it back with force. The halfling abruptly disappears drops out of sight beneath the table and is next seen swarming up into Istar's lap and staring into her teary jade eyes. "Hey. Hey. Look at me Istar. I don't... completely understand what I've said wrong and I'm sorry if borrowing Keth's fish wasn't what you wanted. I dddon't like being held," she shivers violently then flicks a sharp smile across the table at the half-orc. "Call it the burglar in me." The woman turns back to Istar then, and wipes away a rogue tear before it could redden the pale paladin's features. "That made me tense and unhappy, but you're still my best friend. Ok?" She bumps noses with the larger, younger woman, gives her a direct look from slate grey eyes then turns and seats herself in the other's lap.

"You're always going to be my princess, Lady Istar. That part isn't negotiable." The smile she turns back over her shoulder than invites one in kind; then she turns back to the plate in front of her and begins helping herself to some of the largely untouched fish on it. It'd be a shame if it were to get cold after all. Keth's offered gifts attract some of her attention (at least enough to give Istar a chance to get between her and her rapidly diminishing lunch), and she takes them and studies them with interest. "Thank you. What do they do?" She remembers the silver-blonde saying something about that earlier, but not enough that she remembers the details. Rihaly affixes the brooch over her heart and slips the tiles into her belt pouch, her spirits beginning to rise once more. "Also, where are we going? And what are we going to do when we get there?" They're going on a treasure hunt! Excited, she kicks her heels and inadvertently smacks Istar in both shins. She leans back again to whisper to her, "Are you alright?"

Knowledge (Arcana)
Roll(1d20)+2:
12,+2
Total:14

Istar grew gradually happier as her best friend soothed her , relief apparent in her demeanor. As the beautiful , steel-eyed Halfling brushed away her tears the Elf broadly smiled , flushing scarlet at the gentle touch. "Thank you so much." , she says after her small best friend assures her of their bond. As the two women touched noses the silver haired Paladin leaned in just slightly , her eyes subtly fluttering.

Though Istar still gave a small cringe at the honorific her best friend applied to her name , she was ecstatic to hear the sentiment the Fire-Maned Halfling expressed along with it. Her pale features were graced with an almost impossibly broad smile which she beamed back at her one true friend. Once again , the whisper - and the closeness it gave her to the beautiful Rihaly - caused her to turn Crimson. She just barely managed to keep her voice quiet , though her words were slightly louder than the Halfling's.
"Yes , yes I am. Thank you so much for caring so greatly for me! I'm sorry I made you uncomfortable. I was worried you would leave me for that , and what Keth said had me thinking I had mis-worded my apology and only pushed you away further. I'm so happy you didn't leave me Rihaly! You're the best person I've ever met , and.."

The brief paused carried quite the importance for the young Elf , as if the decision she was making was one of the most important in her life thus far. "Rihaly Ironmar , I love you."

At the display of affection the half orc rolled his eyes and shook his head, before looking to the sky as if pleading to be struck down. A flask appeared from inside his coat as he muttered. "I don't want that fish back."

Capping the flask and taking a few bites of the fish before the halfling thought this one would be hers as well.

Rihaly looks over the brooch and tiles, but beyond knowing they are, or at least suspecting they are since the brooch was vibrating faintly as she held it. And that's not something normal jewelry does right? You are unable to tell what they do.

Pointing a forked bit of fish at the brooch Keth answered. "That bauble will keep you from dying when you fall as well as protect you from someone reading your thoughts or motives." His eyes flicking between the two women before his, sitting in a fashion similar to a mother and child. But he was smart enough to not say that right now. 'And if what I'm watching is what might be you're gonna need that protection.' A few more bites of fish found their past the small lower jaw tusks. "The tiles are like potions, but just not in glass jar." He chewed a few more bites as burglar liberated more of the elf's fish. "Where we're going you'll find out on the Dragon, as to what we'll be doing." Lifting the tankard he grinned. "What we're paid to do. Retrieve something someone else can't."

The orange basted fish is delicious here in the sky city of Horizon. That thought is apropos of almost nothing, but is all she can think for the first frozen moment as she turns huge eyes of smoky steel to her elven seat. "I... you what, Istar?" She had noticed the alabaster beauty of the lissom elf with her platinum-blonde hair and verdant eyes - how not? Yet she had considered the lovely paladin akin to a temple's icon; exquisite to the eye, but not for the likes of her to even dream of- She damps down that thought quickly, sparing a moment's thanks to whoever enchanted those brooches.

Rihaly's features are rather better trained than the charismatic elf's, yet equally animated. Most of the time that was; that stunned look is taking time to fade, and is replaced by a warm glow to her golden cheeks. "I like you," she admits. "I really like you and, I don't know, there could be more. But there's... complications," she looks across at Keth, then turns back to Istar with a stubborn set to her mouth that belies the wary curiosity in her eyes. "Complications I will discuss with you, when we're on the airship together and underway. Things you should know." Things she refuses to discuss here, whether out of professionalism or a desire for personal privacy. Having eaten the better part of two fish, she didn't really have the appetite for more and stands on her paladin's lap before stepping primly back to her own chair.

"Are we ready to go to the Dragon now?" She looks at the other two and sees Keth well into his food and a hearty tankard she suspects would leave her on the floor. She sees Istar reacting to her own response and the emotional hurricane of the last few minutes, and pushes her own plate over to join the blonde's in front of her. "You should eat more, you know. You need to keep your strength up." She sits down again and simply watches the other eat. Keth has effectively staved off any answers until they're aboard ship, and Rihaly's stomach is no longer a fearsome lion.

In fact it's full of butterflies.

Istar was raptly focused on the Halfling , watching her love intently. Though she heard the Half-Orc speak , she didn't pay attention to his words. The longer it took for the beautiful woman in her lap to respond the more nervous she became , her smile remaining but taking on a nervous quality , her ivory skin flushing even further. Had she declared her love too early? Perhaps she should've declared it when Rihaly had known her longer. 'But didn't Mommy say I should never be afraid to declare love when I felt it? She said I'd know true love when I felt it..'

The Paladin was both relieved and made further tense by the Fire-makes Halfling's response. She wasn't fully rejected , and she was still at least Rihaly's best friend , which was wonderful. However , the 'complications' her love spoke of seemed rather ominous. Was it something about Istar herself? Nevertheless she understood , and still smiling she anxiously bobbed her head in response. "I understand Rihaly. We'll discuss our.. feelings further aboard the Airship. Thank you for the Fish." Her words were naturally very cordial and good-natured , but the butterflies in her stomach colored every aspect of her demeanor. She practically inhaled what was left of the two Fish , cutting very large chunks and hardly chewing them asides from making sure she wasn't eating bones. Getting up from her seat , the still scarlet-faced Elf spoke in a sheepish tone. "I need to relieve myself. Is there somewhere private for me to do that before we depart , Si- Keth?"

Last edited:
Keth finished chewing the last piece of fish with a deliberate eye roll and slow shake of his head at the affection rolling off of the two. "I was hoping to meet another of our group, but they'll show up when they show." With a long drink of his tankard the half orc stood and looked at his team, while not smiling be nodded once. "Yes we're ready to head on. There's a privy just around the corner." He was pointing away from the bar and towards the edge of the city.

--------------------------
If Istar went to use the privy she would see a small plain building with the image of a faded crescent moon and sun with a equally faded stream of water between them. Inside she would find a simple desk and a very bored looking human male leaning heavily on it. He glanced up as you enter, let's out a sigh and holds out his hand, his eyes half lidded. "T'ree nibs."(three copper coins) On the far side of the room you see three what look like upturned half barrels with a hole cut in the top. It takes a moment but you realize there is no pungent odor that is commonly associated with outhouses, chamber pots, or latrines.

------------------------
Please post replies in Faerun Awaits. Where adventure awaits.

Istar nodded and darted off towards the direction the restroom was said to be in. By the time she pushed the door open she was holding herself slightly , Crimson-faced and anxious. Instead of trying to find 3 copper coins - she wasn't even sure if she had any - she simply pulled out a gold piece and offered it to the man. "If I give you this for payment , can you leave for a moment? I.. can't relieve myself with you in the room , apologies," the Elf sheepishly requested. Assuming the man would do as she asked , she'd walk over to the barrels and gently pull her trousers and underwear down to mid-thigh level as she was taught , closing her eyes and humming an Elvish tune to put herself more at ease with the unfamiliar surroundings.

Last edited:
The man's eyes look too offered coin, thinking it would be anything other then what was being offered. "Look 'ere yee dun wanna pay.... " His eyes grew to the size of saucers and realization set in. Before you can blink the coin is snatched from your hand. "Take yer time lady!" He calls as he leaves you alone.

There is an awkward feeling as the group tries to introduce themselves. Keth all but growling at the newcomer royalty, Istar smiling and bubbly speaking to him and with her chosen love, Thaddeus smiling a bit nervously remembering his training sergeant gave him the same look, Rihaly nodding slowly and moving to greet the prince properly.

FLASH

Or that's what may have happened in some dark cave somewhere. Maybe. Or was that a dream? A half remembered fantasy? Or something else?

You blink several times in the warm fire light. There is the soft crack and pop from the fire place, slowly the background sounds fill in; general talking, clinking and clunking of plates and glasses, the rolling of dice in some game of chance, and soft music over it all. Your nose picks up an interesting scent, pine trees and juniper mixed with roasted and boiled meat. Goat perhaps?

Istar, you are sitting comfortably at an open table by yourself, you have just completed your acceptance trial, you can still feel the bruises and stiffness from the skeletal abomination. Dirt and dust, bone and otherwise, and blood, some your own, still sit fresh upon you. You can see the severing wench and naive are busy but both have smiled at you.

Thaddeus you find yourself standing in the entryway of the tavern, when though a moment ago you were standing in a maddeningly designed trial with no clear exit or goal. But you have the felling you passed, since you are in the tavern now. Your body aches from the bludgeoning that bedevilled bureau gave you, begging you to sit anywhere. You spot the lone female elf, who seems too be as disheveled as you. There is an open pair of chairs at her table.

Istar - left tired from the events of her trial and still awaiting someone representing the guild she had recently joined - stirred from a shallow , dream-filled sleep with a drowsy shake of her head. She didn’t remember any of the events of the reverie , but she was nevertheless left with the impression that it was quite idyllic , at least from her perspective. ‘That must be a sign that I’ll have an absolutely wonderful time working for Nameless Intent!’ She lifted the cup of wine off the now dust-covered table and took a short sip , thankfully not tainted by the skeletal abomination’s remains. As she set the pewter cup back down she gave the Tavern’s staff a warm smile.

The emerald-eyed Elf was glancing around the Tavern once again when she noticed an armored Human male with a similarly disheveled appearance. ‘He might not be a Guild Leader , but I’m certain he went through a Trial similar to my own very recently.’ With that in mind she happily waved him over to sit with her.

Should the armored man choose to follow her suggestion the young Paladin would quickly and eagerly introduce herself , a very wide smile gracing her features. “Hello! I’m Istar Valerys , I’m a Paladin of Corellon Larethian. May I ask what your name is? Or at least what you prefer to be known as?” She extended her hand to him , offering a handshake. “You haven’t recently been given an offer to join a Guild called Nameless Intent , have you?” Her questions were rather innocuous , given in a very friendly and unmistakably genuine manner.

Thaddeus stumbles ever so slightly at the change in ground beneath his feet, but catches himself in the door frame. "I was just...but now I'm...well, I hope no one saw that ungainly trip." He looks around the room and spots the elf with the open chairs at her table, waving him over. "Well that will do as a start." Thaddeus straightens up and dusts off his armor as best as he can without drawing too much attention, before striding over (with no small amount of pain) to join her.

"Greetings! I am Prince Thaddeus Percival Armbrister the Fourth, Fifth Earl of Dalington, and Second Viscount of Sternshire! It is a pleasure to meet you, my good Palaldin! You may call me 'Prince Thaddeus,' or any proper title as your people would see fit." Thaddeus' tone is warm and friendly, though something in the way he speaks indicates that he has clearly been raised to see himself as of superior station. He extends his hand to grasp hers, wincing in pain slightly as he does so.

He sits down next to her and drops his tone a bit, looking around. "I have indeed received an offer from Nameless Intent, although given their name and preferred methods of contact, I suspect we should perhaps not speak of them quite so loudly. We do not know who is about." He looks at the open chair. "Speaking of things I do not know...are you expecting another?"

Istar’s eyes widen considerably as her new comrade introduced himself - the Tavern may very well have been the last place she expected to meet a member of Royalty. If she hadn’t been seated she’d have bowed to him , but given the situation the best she could manage was to firmly shake his hand and lower her head in respect. Hopefully I’ve shown him the right amount of deference to appease him with what limited gestures I can manage. I don’t want to displease the first member of a Royal House I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting - especially if we’re to be comrades.’ Covered in a large amount of dust , blood , and other such grime she didn’t look the most presentable , although fortunately neither did he. She could’ve asked for a Bathhouse , or at least somewhere private to clean herself , however with her application to the guild she’d been worried doing so would have her missing the Guild Officer she’d been awaiting.

The Elf briefly cringed at the Prince’s admonishment , but managed to replace it with her warm , eager smile rather quickly. When she resumed speaking she did make sure to speak more softly , though she also sounded slightly less eager. “I’m truly sorry for that , your g- I mean , er , Prince Thaddeus. You’re very much correct that I shouldn’t be speaking that loudly about such matters. I’m certain whatever Guild Leadership exists would agree with you , Prince Thaddeus. As for who I’m waiting for , I’m assuming a Guild Officer is eventually going to arrive to evaluate our performances in the Trials and hopefully welcome us to the Guild.” She smiled a little wider. “I’m sure we’ll have no trouble , Price Thaddeus. They wouldn’t have given us invitations to join their Guild had they not expected us to be able to successfully complete the Trials they assigned us.”

Thaddeus smiled kindly at the Elf's earnest words. I hope I didn't upset her. It wasn't meant as an admonishment, just an abundance of caution. The wise tactical play. I need her to know she can rely on me. "It's quite alright, Istar. Is it alright that I call you Istar? Or do you have a different preferred name?"

He leaned in slightly and lowered his voice even further. "Perhaps I was also speaking too loudly. We're both new at this. The last thing I want is for us to get this far and then have a throwaway remark cause problems. And there's no need to repeat my name so often." He smiled warmly. "While it is nice to hear someone say it, I sense nothing but respect and friendship from you, so once in a while is more than enough. As far as invitations go, they may not have been sure that we would complete the trials. But we have! And I suspect that's all they'll care about. In fact, I think we should celebrate."

Thaddeus sat upright and looked to the front of the tavern. "Bar maid! Your finest ale for me! And another glass of what she's having for her!"

Istar eagerly smiled and nodded as her new comrade asked if her first name was her preferred form of address. If she were to be fully honest , being referred to as ‘Lady Valerys’ always made her feel awkward , even in formal ceremonies and other such events. She seemed a little surprised that the human was worried he had upset her with a simple admonishment , as if she didn’t entirely grasp why it merited such concern. Nevertheless , she seemed extremely happy to hear him consider her his comrade. After he shouted to the Barmaid she leaned in more , broadly smiling. “That’s so wonderful of you! You really shouldn’t be concerned over upsetting me , however - that small admonishment wouldn’t be nearly enough to put a damper on my spirits! Besides , if we’re going to be adventuring together we ought to trust one another enough to correct each orher’s mistakes and inform each other of any follies we may find ourselves committing.”

The young Paladin drank the very last of her current glass of wine and gave him a very warm , friendly smile , as if he were already her best friend. “Yes , I do prefer to be called Istar over any other form of address. Thank you very much for realizing that - that’s very wonderful of you! I will refrain from using your name so much - I merely assumed you may have enjoyed the deference my use of your title would have shown. I should’ve assumed you would have a similar desire for a more cordial relationship than such deference offered us.” Once their drinks arrived she’d give the barmaid a very warm smile , thanking her before lifting her cup in a toast. “To our future! May Corellon and all the Gods of the Seldarine guide and protect us through all the challenges our paths may hold!” After she took a long draft she set the cup back down and seemed to realize something. “I never asked which Pantheon you devote yourself to , did I? It would be absolutely wonderful to learn of your God or Goddess! If you would be willing to tell me , of course.”

Last edited:
"True enough! Trust only exists through honesty, and when we are confident in something, we shouldn't fear to state it. And I do sincerely appreciate the deference, but it happening repeatedly may make our adventures much less efficient."

The Prince thanked the bar maid as well, and raised his ale for a toast. "Here here! To our future! And to the Gods watching over and guiding us!" He lifted the tankard to his mouth, watching the young elf over the edge as he drank. She is quite unlike any Paladin I've ever met before. Both her youth and boundless enthusiasm are certainly worlds apart from the expressionless old men in Father's court. And she has more energy than a thousand suns. I certainly think we'll get along well...I wonder who the others could be.

Thaddeus finished a long drink and set the tankard down. "Ah, a very interesting question. The people of my family's realm have no specific deity they are loyal to. It's a policy of my father, and his father before him, and his father before him, to time immemorial, to allow our people to worship the Gods as they see fit. After all, a blacksmith may well have a different set of priorities and desires than a farmer has." Thaddeus smiled. "It also has the distinct advantage of keeping us out of the path of the Gods when they get angry - after all, someone in our realm is likely worshiping each God, and the last thing they want to do is hurt one of their own adherents."

The Prince took another small drink and replaced his ale on the table. "As for me, I devote myself to Tyr, God of Law and Justice. This was not a revelation I came to quickly or easily. But as I underwent my schooling and training, and moved throughout the realm, it became clear to me that the vast majority of people were unable to help themselves, and that they needed some assistance to make things right. And I didn't spend my every waking hour learning, working, dueling, and even fighting, to do nothing with it. I realized that peace in the realm could only be achieved with justice. So I began searching for a deity that could guide me along that path, and Tyr quickly became the obvious choice. I devoted myself to him, and have never looked back."

Istar found it rather refreshing to hear someone of higher status eschew the use of formal titles and other such deferential behavior - if for practicality’s sake instead of her own desire for equality among those she considered comrades. Thus far Thaddeus had proven to behave rather different from how she had expected Royalty would , in a myriad of ways. ‘He’s so wonderful! Maybe he’ll be my first true friend! Well , other than Mother and Father and Corellon , but they love me.’ Though it was difficult for her to become drunk , the Elf made sure to keep her drinking measured. After all , she didn’t want to make a fool of herself in front of someone she hoped would be her new friend. “That sounds like a wonderful philosophy to base a kingdom in! Your ancestors were very wise to establish a policy that gives your people such freedom in their beliefs. My homelands had a similar diversity of beliefs , though that might’ve simply been due to our lack of Central rule. I’m from High Forest , the most beautiful forest lands in all of Faerûn!”

The Paladin’s emerald eyes twinkled as she reflected on her home’s beauty , before continuing to speak. “That’s so amazing that you devote yourself to Tyr! You made a very , very excellent decision choosing to worship him. He’s my favorite of all the non-Seldarine deities! I always thought that , were I not born an Elf , I would find myself among Tyr’s followers. Am I correct in the assumption that he has quite a number of Paladins? He has to have more than the Seldarine , after all - there aren’t many Elven Paladins , even in High Forest.” She palmed the symbol hanging around her neck. “I devote myself to Corellon Larethian , Creator of All Elves , First of the Seldarine , Preserver of Life , because He chose to me to be one of His most powerful servants. Out of all those He could choose , in his infinite wisdom He chose me , a child that would’ve otherwise gone unnoticed , as one of the very few worthy to carry out His will as His Paladin. He’s guided me ever since I was only 53 years old , imbuing me with His divine power to shield the realm from those seeking to spread death and destruction. I’m devoted to protecting everyone I can wherever I go , preserving life just as the Protector would do Himself. I can only hope my meager efforts are enough to please Him.” Though the Paladin knew she was special her speech was wholly reverential of her beloved Deity , with nary a trace of the arrogance or vanity others with her position and status may have had.

Standing near the end of the long bar, more or less blending in with the varied assortment of races and patrons of the tavern, is a man with dark brown hair that had not seen a brush or comb in many a week. A long well worn and traveled brown coat hangs off of his tall broad shouldered frame.

He had been there for quite some time waiting for the two new recruits to hopefully finish the Trials. When the elf arrived he rolled his eyes at having to work one of the fae folk, but he had turned his back to her as she stepped through the portal. To both hide his features and not draw attention to himself.

After what felt like an eternity, and a few more pints, the other recruit stumbled in. He chuckled at the human, clearly well heeled given the quality of his equipment.

Moving with the crowd he moved closer to the pair and listened to the conversation. Royalty and a Zealot. He took his flask out and took a quick drink, as he turned and approached the pair.

"So. You're the ones I've been waiting on, huh?" His voice was like gravel and a bit tired sounding, and on his lips looked like something like a friendly smile. He had been told to make a good impression. The smile did not like it belonged there. Stepping other the back of the chair, his leg swinging out and around it and seating himself at the table. "Welcome to Nameless Intent." Having heard their concerns about not making their association known he intentionally spoke a bit louder then was truly needed. He leaned his elbows on the table, silver flask still in thick callused hand.

It was obvious he was not the most handsome man in town, though that may have been due to his small but protruding lower tusks that leant to his gruff features. The large, many time broken, nose and somewhat pointed ears, all pointed to his being a half-orc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back