• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
Giving Zyl a sympathetic look, Ha Rim tried to offer, “Well…we appreciate it, if that means anything.” he finished with a small shrug.

——

He’d honestly been expecting a little more flack for being late—judging by how panicked Zyl had been, anyway—but the man was surprisingly calm. To them, at least.

At the professor’s words, Ha Rim couldn’t help but let out a huge internal sigh of relief. So he hadn’t almost killed anyone. Thank the gods. He turned to the unseelie girl and mouthed, ‘poisonous?’ Before looking away, a faint grin on his lips.

But then a question popped up in his mind about the oranges. Before he could reconsider, Ha Rim’s hand shot up in the air, “About the oranges,” he began, trying to figure out a way to phrase his question, “How exactly did they become…magical? I mean, is there a way to do the reverse? Take away someone’s magic temporarily?” Maybe it was an embarrassing question, but he wouldn’t find out until he asked. Besides, that’s why he’d come here, right? He quickly added, “Theoretically, of course.” That was a normally question. He was sure of it.

Graceling Graceling
DovahBeat DovahBeat
Veil Walker Veil Walker

Last edited:
Melody Mockingbird & Mercher Ester & Quinn Starly
(Melody and Quinn's pov)

The centaur gallops across the front of the academy while Quinn raced to catch up to her. "You're running too fast, for god's sake!" Quinn grabbed Melody's sleave as an attempt to stop her from running. It did work, just very poorly as Quinn fell on his knees as she slowed down. He quickly stood back up and dusted the dirt on his pants as Melody looked behind him and helped him up. "I'm fine," Quinn quickly shot down Melody one of her questions. "But are you sure?" Melody still asked the male, worried of his fall, "Does it hurt?"

"Yeah, yeah, it's nothing," Quinn brushed them off once again as he looked around them. They weren't too far from where they entered the academy, the shade of the trees covered them with some of the sunlight beaming over them. They couldn't find any teachers anywhere in that area. "Huh, that's strange," Quinn whispered, quite surprised that nobody has caught up to them. He wasn't worried at the slightest, compared to the centaur beside him who put her arms around the male. Their search was over a bit sooner before they heard the footsteps from behind them and a voice to come with it.

"You students shouldn't be here," the voice said as they turned around. To their surprise, it was a familiar face they'd recognize; the blonde-haired teacher that left after a few moments in their entrance. He shook his head before offering them a hand, "I saw this event happen a few days ago, please come with me so I could get you both up to speed with the entrance ceremony." It was quite straightforward with his phrasing, refusing to waste a single second with the diddle-dallying as he walked his way towards the academy entrance and making sure the two follow him. This was a big relief for Melody and Quinn as they eagerly follow him.

Saoirse
The others came in much earlier than she anticipated, and they didn't get into any real trouble but Saoirse hadn't been harboring any high hopes on that. It was the first day and something out of their control happened. As amusing as it would have been to see them get into trouble, she was glad there would be no delay in class due to this incident. As the others come in Saoirse would be on the ground stretching and catches sight of what Ha Rim was trying to tell her, responding with a half smirk of her own.

Technically speaking she had never said that the oranges had been poisoned, but rather had questioned Ha Rim if he had done so. The teacher foolishly blew things out of proportion but it made for a rather amusing time. After all, the fey had a rather wicked sense of humor, and seeing the confusion spread in those few moments made everything well worth it. She would even say that this made her and Ha Rim even, although she wasn't inclined to be overtly friendly with him or any of the others just yet.

Saoirse wraps up her stretches as Tyern finishes his introduction to the lesson and she asks him, "Will we be testing for our elemental affinity before we begin, or if we already know said affinity will we be expected to disclose it?" Giving out too much information about her magic seemed unsafe in the long term since she did not trust anyone here to any degree.

"Yes, sir..." Zyl sighed, knowing he was in some big trouble now.
"If there's anything else you or the students need from me, let me know. I'll go back to my room to study..." He turned to leave, though slowly as to give Tyern time to respond if he or the students needed anything.

The twins had begun stretching as instructed, though were hesitant to separate into their own spaces. Tolliver wasn't sure he should be that far apart from Taranis, he was basically the only thing keeping his electricity in check if it went out of control. Taranis was a bit fearful for the same reason, but also just didn't like the slight tug on his soul he felt when stepping away from his brother. Things were going to be more difficult for them, they just knew it.

Veil Walker Veil Walker , the class in general kinda

Rosmin had said she'd only played with magic a little bit, but Bimi's eyes were clearly glittering with interest when she mentioned even the small things she was capable of. All these classmates of hers were so talented. Ros was right though, this place had so much magic - not even just the people but the plants and the earth beneath their feet. She came from a place where magic was so thick at time it was visible as shifting lights through the sky, yet it was rare that her people participated in any of it. Bad luck to tempt fantasy, they'd say, although it brought a smile to her face to remember how exciting her siblings were every time she'd twist plants into crowns and help spring blossoms sprout early through the permafrost, or mend a scrape or cut with a kiss. She knew she had a solid well of power inside her but what would it feel like to really wield it?

Bimi wasn't even completely listening when their teacher brought up the oranges again - she wasn't too worried about it even if they did have negative side effects. If fully enjoying her time at the academy meant getting tripped up a few times on the tricks being played by the earth then maybe she'd be seeing the infirmary more than originally intended, but she had faith that any real danger would be kept at bay by their teachers and the protective nature of the school in its own.

She tuned back in at the sound of Ha Rim's question, followed by a few others. Stepping into a space of her own she stretched idly side to side, then raised her hand. "Do we get to learn all the elements or will we choose or be assigned them?" Of course, her main interests lied with earth and plant magic, but that didn't mean she couldn't find fire, light, or any other types of elements interesting as well.

Tyern wasn't heartless, despite what some people said. He tipped a wink to Zyl, though the other student might be convinced he was an asshole. He perked up as a student asked him some very interesting questions.
"The oranges? Oh yes. There is a short answer and a long answer. The short answer is they were enchanted to do something specific. Of course, they didn't work. They were meant to give an energy boost to someone studying. Of course, they do, but there is a cost. You will receive an energy boost, but soon it will cost you dearly. All of you who ate an orange will have an amazing night of sleep." He didn't mention that he could fix it, easily. If someone asked him later he could, but he felt no obligation to volunteer himself. He counted himself lucky that no on here seemed to know him. He couldn't remember the last room that felt like this. Spinning to Saoirse, he gave her a look that screamed danger, before he gave her a small smile.
"Ordinarily, we would test you for the elements, but you are adults. If you don't know, then we shall find out. As for keeping things secret, no. I have no power to demand your powers, but one way or another, you will demonstrate them. I demand nothing less than to show your power. If you think you can pass without doing so, feel free. I will show mine as you show yours. I promise that we shall learn together. For those who don't know their element, come to the Pit and we will find out together. Now," he said, stepping close to Ha Rim.
"I believe you had a question. Yes, magic can be taken, destroyed, manipulated. Those orange trees were changed by a former student. However, want to address more than this simple moment. We live and breath magic. It comes out of us the same way. The ancient sources of spiritual power function the same way. The old places still have their power because a lot of power has been focused one way. The school is different, but focus enough power on a single point and it becomes powerful. " Tyern wheeled around to look at Ha Rim, piercing his gaze with is orange eyes.
"Taking away magic, huh? You want to know how? I warn you, you might lose yourself doing it."Tyern moved close, placing his thumb against Ha Rim's brow. Tyern pulled then. He felt Ha Rim's magic and he drew it towards himself. It was more than that, though. He drew Ha Rim's soul along with his magic. The room shook with power as Tyern stared him down. Suddenly, Tyern let go. Tyern stared into Ha Rim's eyes as he tried to settle.
"Temporary or not, what you're asking about is wrong. I hope you see that now."

i

Saoirse
They weren't being treated like incompetent children. This pleased Saoirse and a genuine smile formed, something that had yet to happen until now. The teacher's honesty was refreshing to her; so many outside of the fey told falsehoods as naturally as they breathed. Fey were wiley but were never dishonest about their natures, unlike mortals. Saoirse liked that Tyern seemed more like her kind in this aspect than normal mortals. Her eyes then follow him as he approaches Ha Rim and they widen as he touches the very soul of the boy. She shudders slightly, feeling a bit of pity for him. To have one's soul touched without any warning or consent was...disturbing. Saoirse looks away from the display and walks towards the Pit, determined to prove herself here and now rather than cower and wait to see what the others are capable of. She represented the Unseelie and she would not disgrace her people.

Saoirse would stand in the middle of the Pit and close her eyes, focusing on her magic. Much like the teacher said, it was woven into every fiber of her being, intertwined in every muscle and flowing through her veins like blood and oxygen. She followed its current and her veins, dark against her pale skin in certain spaces, began to glow with a soft white light even as the shadows beneath her writhed and twisted like living creatures. Tendrils form around her, wraith-like and circling her with the consistency of vapor, and her sclera begins to turn black as Saoirse says, "In the spirit of equivalent exchange, I display my affinity for darkness to you all. I trust this is enough for now?" And just as suddenly as it started, everything would return to normal. Saoirse's eyes were now their usual steely color and her veins stopped glowing as the shadows returned to their rested positions. The fey steps out of the Pit and stands in her former position, waiting to see if this is enough to satiate the teacher or if he would demand more of an elaboration. She wouldn't mind if it was the latter but she felt that her actions would speak louder than her words in this instance.

Inevitably, Ha Rim’s gaze was drawn over to their chambers, where the oranges would be. So the tree itself held magic, somehow? So it wasn’t just the fruits that could be used? As the professeur went on about demonstrating their powers, he remained stuck in his contemplations, an idea already formulating in his head when he felt a presence next to him.

Jolting upright, Ha Rim looked up to the professeur—a war hero, wasn’t he? He wondered whether or not he should be in awe at his presence or worried at the expression on his face. Turned out, a little bit of both.

He didn’t get a chance to say anything before Tyern was reaching forward. Ha Rim instinctively tried to lean back, but froze.

There were no words to describe what came next. All he knew was that something was very, very wrong, and he should stay very, very still. The only thing he could do was keep his gaze up and steadily focused on what was happening. Somewhere in there was a deep, morbid curiosity one what Tyern was doing.

The moment it was over, Ha Rim stood a step back, an arm slightly raised in front of him, “How did you do that?” He blurted out, only realizing a second after he should’ve kept him mouth shut. Finding eye contact with this professeur to be a little difficult to keep up, he looked away, “…yes sir. Sorry sir.” It wasn’t anything unusual, saying an apology he didn’t quite mean.

But before he could help himself, Ha Rim’s eyes drifted over to the distant figure of the orange tree once more, wondering for a little while longer before he snapped himself back out of it.

Or rather, the unseelie’s display of power had stolen his attention. The only way he could describe it was as…unholy? That sounded about right. He lifted his palm to sight-level and started a small swirl of wind before clasping his hand shut. Starting a breeze wasn’t the issue—ending it was. Ha Rim’s spells usually disappeared into the ether with his arrows, left to fizzle out without his interference. But this was different.

In an effort to get over his nerves, Ha Rim turned to the person beside him—who happened to be Rosamin, “Ready?” He asked with a faint smile.

——
Veil Walker Veil Walker
incognea1o incognea1o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back