• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
"Just because you're used to it doesn't make it right." Tolliver softly challenged the notion that it was okay, but otherwise didn't push the matter.
At Bimi's questions, Taranis spoke up. "Hell, we've come from Hell. That's why we have horns and tails, we're a demon."
Tolliver nodded hesitantly to his brother's rather blunt explanation, but it was acceptable enough.
"Yes, we're a demon, specifically a Zodiac demon. We're known as Gemini, down in Hell. But we still use the names we had when we were human." Tolli added to the explanation, glancing at Bimi and giving her a small smile.
"Name's Taranis." He tacked on at the end, "We're nothing special like some of you noble folk, but don't think that makes us any lesser than you."

"A zodiac demon..." She nodded slowly in awe as though to give time for her thoughts to be filed away properly. "I guess some people here are pretty high in class, huh. It's exciting to think that we've all been included together regardless of that. Magic doesn't care where you come from or who you are as long as you can learn to wield it properly." Bimi glanced around at the small group she'd settled in step with and smiled brightly at them all. "Nice to meet you Tolliver, Taranis, hope we can get along." Ha Rim and Abraxas too. She hadn't caught the name of others yet - there were a handful more she hadn't had a chance to speak with - but had a good feeling about the next few days. She hadn't even felt too homesick yet, although Bimi suspected that might change one they were filed away into their dorm rooms and she no longer could depend on the bustle of voices and bodies to keep loneliness at bay.

The briefest moment of solemness floated over Bimi's expression like a ghost before returning to her usual sunny disposition.

A redheaded girl asked a question and couple others were converging into the group as they got closer to the dorms. Seeing the centaur wasn't quite as shocking as some other species - a not-too-faraway village had a few centaurs living in it. Still, it was evermore amazing just how much diversity existed among the small group. "And I was chosen alongside all these amazing people. How dangerous, I'm going to feel awfully special." She beamed and shifted her pack on her shoulders, chuckling to herself.

The teacher - the one who seemed mostly in charge and had a very cool personality - had responded to that girl's question with one of his own and Bimi followed quickly with curiosity. "Yes, sir. What is it?"

Interactions: Tolliver/Taranis DovahBeat DovahBeat | Tyvern Veil Walker Veil Walker

Ha Rim mirrored the fae’s expression, looking equally as unimpressed as she walked away, “Someone needs to learn the definition of ‘baseline’,” he glowered quietly to himself.

Trying to not let his irritation show through, he chuckled dryly at Abraxas’s words, “You say you made an ass of yourself, then you offer to help me?” Did he not see the irony in that situation? It was appreciated nonetheless, “Only teasing. I’ll be sure to make good use of your offer.” Underneath all that was another pang of jealousy, of what the other had available to him. That didn’t help his mood at all.

Personally, Ha Rim didn’t agree with a word Abraxas said—people hurt others because they thought they could get away with it, nothing more—but he kept his silence. He wasn’t going to debate philosophy with someone he’d just met.

Everyone had a flaw about them, and one of Ha Rim’s happened to be holding grudges. Remembering how Taranis had snapped at them, he crossed his arms and raised a brow, “Given your temper, I’d say the status of your birth is the least of your worries,” he stated quietly. Nobody was going to be charitable with someone who lashed out like that, regardless of how high or low born you were. With an air of pretension, Ha Rim played with the cuff of his sleeve—he knew he was being unfair. It wasn’t Taranis’s fault he’d been put in a bad mood…well a little bit, maybe, “But Miss Bimi’s right. Talent doesn’t discriminate. I look forward to studying with you two.” He only meant half of it. Tolliver seemed nice enough.

He seemed to soften more when Bimi spoke up, “And what’s wrong with that? You’ve earned your place,” he said. Ha Rim then turned to deputy headmaster—someone who he’d only ever read about in books until now—waiting for his answer.

Last edited:
Rosmin placed her hands on her hips. "Well, yes, if you can spare it." She turned to an assent from the crowd. It was that curly-haired girl with the apple again. It seemed Rosmin wasn't one who with questions.

She turned back to the Deputy Headmaster. "Can't let the world wait with bated breath for long, sir. There's only so much stewing in suspense we can take."

Tyern shot the group a rare grin. He liked the get on with it attitude they were starting to display. That was a good sign for him. That was mostly how he lived his life.
"Fair enough, I can understand not wanting to wait around for some self-important old fool trying to wind you up." Tyern stopped in front of a set of double doors set into the stone. Pushing the doors open, he stepped to the side. He pulled out a large leather pouch out of one of the pockets of his jerkin.
"These are communication stones. They can be used to communicate with your fellow students. If you have an emergency, simply squeeze it three times and the school will alert me or the nearest teacher if I happen to be off campus. We want to ensure you have as safe an environment as we can, but we understand this is a magical school. Full of secrets, passages and ancient knowledge. Should be fun for all of you. So, I suggest you step up, get your stone, and get settled into your rooms. Once that's done, head to the Elementalist's Pit for your first lesson." Tyern pulled open the back, offering it to each student as they stepped forward. His gaze turned to Bimi, overhearing her words.
"You're absolutely right. Magic doesn't care how you were born, or how you were raised. I was an orphan, working in the stone quarries of Seshynua from the age of fifteen. I didn't even know I had any magic until I was nineteen, and I got swept into things that were bigger than me. It doesn't matter where you started out at. All that matters is what you do with the opportunities and the gifts that have been given to you."

``---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------``
Abraxas shrugged at Tolliver, before carefully listening as the two explained they were from Hell. Instead of being shocked, Abraxas nodded slowly.
"I guess that makes sense. You two must have had a hard time so far. If I were in your shoes, I might have reacted the same way. Besides, Granny always told me that my father was just testing my mettle. So perhaps your brother was, too. After all, you might need to ensure that your classmates are competent, right?" Abraxas rubbed the back of his head, causing his hair to poof a little at the back. If he was being honest, competent was the last thing he felt like. He'd been out of his depth the entire time, and felt like everyone knew him. Instead of reassuring him, the Deputy's words made his blood run cold. If his family and his name weren't important, did he really have anything to offer?

Last edited:
Hearing everyone's reassurance warmed her heart. She didn't really need it, she was confident in her abilities, but it felt really good to know that people had her back already. After Tyern's announcement she grins, then tilts her head back with a laugh and throws her arms around Ha Rim and Abraxas' shoulders, walking with them and giggling when they trip over eachothers' steps. "You're so right. We're all here because we deserve it, because we were handpicked, whether ya believe it or not." Her hug is tight and comforting and warm in the moments it lasts before she goes on ahead to collect her communication stone and see the dorm.

The space it opens up to is cool and cozy - a bit dark for now. She looks up and down the hallways at the lines of doors presumably leading to their separate sleeping spaces. She didn't notice any sort of assignments and after peeking into the first few they were definitely bare and fresh for anyone to claim. "Oohh..." Bimi isn't picky, selecting a room about halfway down that has a good amount of light shining through its windows. She drops her back off her shoulders with a huff and pushes a hand through unruly curls, resting her hand on the back of her neck. There was a sort of twisting, giddy anxiety in her belly and a prickling of sweat on her neck - she'd never had a room of her own before so the prospect was both exciting and nerve wracking. She lingers, looking over the space and wondering how to make it more her own.

Interactions: Ha Rim York_vs_Lancastor York_vs_Lancastor | Abraxas Veil Walker Veil Walker

Taranis had opened his mouth to retort to Ha Rim, electricity crackling more intensely around him as he was set off, until Tolliver grabbed him by his arm and dragged him onwards. Tolliver had thanked Abraxas for his forgiveness, and listened to Bimi and the Headmaster as he stepped up and grabbed their communication stone, Taranis looking over his shoulder at it.
"I wanna see it, how does it work?"
"I don't think you should. You break everything."
"I do not!"
Tolliver shot him a deadpan, unconvinced look before pocketing the magic device. "Let's just find our dorm."
"Not fair! Why do you get to hold onto it?!"
"I just told you, you break everything."
Their bickering continued down the hall until they found their room, which was fairly bare bones aside from the bunk beds, but they didn't really mind.
------
Zylfinas hurriedly stepped out of his room on the same floor/building the student's dorms were in. He was running a little behind, he may have pushed his own limits the day prior and had a hard time channeling enough magic to his faux arm for it to function properly, causing his usual routine to be slowed down. Still, it seems he made it in time to welcome this year's students. He stood in the shared living space of the dorms, smiling brightly as the students came and claimed their rooms.
He gave a polite nod in Tyern's direction, before looking up again and asking. "Is there anything I can do for you or the students, Tyern? I'm not too late for introductions, am I?"

Veil Walker Veil Walker York_vs_Lancastor York_vs_Lancastor queanbean queanbean

Saoirse
She looks to Tyern as he explains the dorm situation and the new items they would be receiving. Saoirse would silently go to take a stone from the teacher before she turned on her heel to find her room, examining the stone in her hand quizzically as she did so. The fey had the means of long-distance communication but this was a method she was not familiar with. It was intriguing. The fey would walk until she found her room and entered it before setting her things down and packing everything away.

Saoirse had never received a room of her own before. She had slept with her brood mates in the barracks nearly all her life. Not having them near her would be an adjustment. Although she hated to admit it, having others in the same building would assuage her anxiety. The room itself was plain and understated, but she liked that. She did not intend to decorate it since this was only a temporary dwelling. As Saoirse puts her things away she would idly hum to herself, liking how it echoed a bit in the room. It reminded her of the caves of her home.​

Jolting forward at Bimi’s sudden gesture, Ha Rim almost stumbled over himself yet again, only just managing to to catch his balance, “A little warning would be appreciated next time, you know,” he said in mock grumpiness. He was still adjusting to her curious mannerisms.

He adjusted the sack tied around his shoulders as he stepped into the hall, realizing how empty everything seemed. Like many others, Ha Rim had never had such a large space to himself, and he could tell even now that it would take some getting used to. Perhaps some fresh air would help? After putting away what little he’d brought, Ha Rim headed over to open the windows and feel a little breeze against his skin. But when he did, a little splash of colour caught his eye.

A tree had grown beside the school’s walls, its leaves tickling the window frames. On it hung various oranges, ripe for picking. Didn’t Bimi like fruit? Abraxas, too? Though the fruits were a little out of his reach, Ha Rim used his bow to fish out some of the closer ones, ending up with quite the handful.

Rather pleased with himself, he came back out into the hallway holding half a dozen oranges. Looking around, he saw that nobody was here yet, and so he waited. When Ha Rim heard a door open, he immediately looked towards the source of the noise, thinking it might be Bimi. Instead, it was a girl with flowing red hair. He remembered her, vaguely, from the entrance, before getting crashed into.

He stood in silence for a few seconds, not entirely knowing what to say. It seemed a little late for a ‘Hello’ or ‘Nice to meet you’. So instead, he held up what was in his hands and gave a faint smile, “Fancy an orange?”

————
incognea1o incognea1o queanbean queanbean

"Communication stones," Rosmin echoed, as if chewing on the concept. She picked one of them up and turned it over in her hand. They were heavier than she thought, and inlaid with strange symbols her mind couldn't make sense of.

The Deputy Headmaster's words struck a cord in her. Secrets passages and ancient knowledge, not only present but fully encouraged to explore? The switch from complete prohibition of all things arcane and mystical to a free wellspring of knowledge was almost jarring, but Rosmin couldn't help but smile. "Perhaps I'll seek a lecture about these things after classes. You think you've seen my eagerness and impatience today, I say you haven't seen anything yet. Consider it a warning, sir."

She tucked the stone into her bag and headed off into the dormitory. Before she could get far into one of the rooms, she found it had already been occupied by the boy with the bow.

"Ah. I didn't realize there was already…" she started, but then stopped at the offer of the fruit. She gingerly picked up the fruit, eyeing the boy with a little bit of suspicion. "…where did you get these?" She looked over his shoulder, to the window where a branch hung close enough to reach.

Melody Mockingbird & Quinn Starly
Melody took a grip on Quinn's arm and dragged him away to a group of students she'd found. The grip on Quinn's arm was very stable and strong, he'd thought that it would cut off his blood circulation in that part of his arm. Well Melody was walking at a regular pace at first, she began galloping and was a bit too fast for Quinn and let go of his arm. "Oi, wait up!" He called after Melody as he began jogging after her.

It took Abraxas all of his control not to flinch when Bimi embraced him. Physical contact was NOT something he was used to. Still, it was nice and Abraxas leaned into it slightly as his new friends walked with him. Abraxas nodded at Ha Rim's suggestion. Abraxas waited for everyone else to grab rooms before taking the last one left. He was happy to see that it had a window. He had been worried about that, having seen the rough hewn nature of the walls. Setting his bag down, he pushed the window open and breathed in deeply. The smell of the sea breeze filled his nose, as well as the scent of the orange tree just outside. It didn't take him very long to unpack, as he had only brought a few items. He grimaced as he realized he hadn't brought nearly enough clothes. He had a little money, so he guessed he could see what they had in town, though he had no idea what to wear. Every outfit before now had been picked out for him. He wondered if he could get away with some brighter colors, instead of the dull greys and blacks of his normal outfit. Shaking his head, he resolved to figure it out later. Wandering out, he saw Ha Rim had snagged some fruit. Nodding to them, he gave the other student a little smile.
"I'd love to have a snack before the Deputy thrashes me in class." Peeling it quickly, he took a big bite, the juice making a mess on his face. He thought about what his family would think, and he let out a little laugh. They'd be furious at his lack of decorum, but here he might just be able to relax.
"These are really good! Perfectly sweet." Wiping his mouth with a handkerchief, he looked at both Ha Rim and Rosmin.
"So how rough do you think class is going to be? I haven't done a lot of elemental magic, just a bit of water magic now and then."

Tyern smiled at Rosmin's enthusiasm, before turning to look at the newcomer. Gods Below, what was his name again? Tyern really needed to write these things down one of these days. Greeting him with a judgemental look, he greeted Zyl by stating:
"You're late. I expected better from the person appointed to be a supervisor to this group. Try not to let it happen again." Internally, of course, Tyern was relieved. It meant these students weren't his problem, at least until class started.
"Make sure you get them to the Pit on time, is that clear?" Turning without waiting for a response, he made his way to the Pit to make sure things were in place for their first class.

Last edited:
Zylfinas winced as Tyern scolded him, bowing apologetically as he walked away.
"I'm sorry, sir! Everything's clear! Won't happen again!"
He had wanted to explain his tardiness, but obviously wasn't going to get the opportunity. Straightening, he turned towards the lingering students, calling out so even those in the halls and their rooms could hear.
"Everyone, please gather around. I'm running behind as is and I don't want to make it worse. I'm Zylfinas, your RA. If any of you have questions regarding your rooms or just need some extra support, please let me know! That's what I'm here for!"
He winced again as Abraxas peeled and then bit into the orange. He could hear the fruit protest, and it was not a pleasant sound, to him at least.
"As soon as you're done claiming a room, please head to the Pit for your first class!"

The twins at this point had emerged from their room, Taranis groaning and grumbling about how they'd just got here, they should be given time to settle in. Tolliver just sighed and took his brother's arm to drag him to the Pit for their first class.

Bimi spent some time unpacking, putting her clothing in the closet and laying out the rugs, blankets, tapestries, crystals, and trinkets she'd brought. She would deal with organizing everything later; for now she had to get to class, how exciting! She brushed off her hands and grabbed one of her notebooks, smiling as she padded back into the hallway. Ha Rim was already there with Abraxas and a girl she hadn't quite met yet.

She started over, a bright smile on her face. "Hey! I'm Bimi..." and then looking at Ha Rim, "Whatch'a got there?" Her gaze narrowed in on the plump orange fruits in Ha Rim's arms but she tried really hard not to be too eager. "Could I... have one?" She points at herself and tilts her head. She didn't particularly care where they had come from, and the smell of citrus in the air from others munching on the sweet fruit was enough to make her sigh with delight. It was probably a good thing that her room didn't have the orange tree out the window, otherwise she'd have to learn restraint real quickly.

After being blessed with one of the ripe orbs and fiddling around trying to figure out how to peel it, Bimi nodded to the elf - she'd only barely caught his name, Zylfinas, and popped a slice into her mouth. "Ahh~, how lucky am I to have two fresh fruits in one day." She presses a hand to her cheek and wrinkles her nose as the sweetly sour juice makes her mouth pucker.

"What do you think we'll learn first in the Pit?" She wonders, eventually heading for the door, "Elemental magic means things like water and fire, right?"

Interactions: Ha Rim York_vs_Lancastor York_vs_Lancastor | Abraxas Veil Walker Veil Walker | Rosmin incognea1o incognea1o | Zylfinas DovahBeat DovahBeat

Ha Rim gave Rosamin a small shrug, “They were outside the windows. I assumed we could take some,” he then bowed his head ever so slightly, “My name is Ha Rim. I don’t believe I caught yours?” He said as he handed her an orange, then one to Abraxas when he joined them

For the crime of being too near, some of the juice from Abraxas’s bite splattered onto Ha Rim when he chomped down. For a brief moment, he looked at the other with a mix of irritation and shock—Ha Rim expected him of all people to be a little more…refined. But then he wiped the residue off with his sleeve and decided to get over himself, “I guess even oranges taste different at the Academy,” he agreed, carefully peeling his own.

Maybe use some water magic next time and spare me from your fruit sap, he thought internally before he realized how petty that was; it was an asshole thing to think. He knew that, “I’m most familiar with wind, but you’ve all seen my control over it,” he chuckled dryly, “As long as we can agree to help each other, I’m sure we can all get by just fine.”

Ha Rim turned around when he heard the sound of Bimi’s voice, “Of course. I picked them with you in mind,” he said, holding one out for her to take. Trying not to laugh at her attempts to get it open, he offered her his, which he’d already peeled, “Here, take mine. I like yours better,” he said, switching their oranges.

Craning his neck over the small crowd that had gathered, Ha Rim called out towards Zylfinas, “Just a moment sir.” Unlike the half-elf, he had no reason to worry, or rather, he didn’t know to. Turning back to their conversation, he shrugged at Bimi’s question, chewing on an orange slice before answering, “Probably, or at least I…”

He trailed off as the final door opened, revealing the unseelie fae girl from before. Ha Rik didn’t really want to talk to her, let alone offer her an orange, but common decency dictated he should. And maybe, they could use this opportunity to, ah, set aside what had happened at the gates. So with a cursory look in her direction, he said, “Would you care for one, Miss…?” It only occurred to him now that he didn’t know her name either.

——
queanbean queanbean
Veil Walker Veil Walker
DovahBeat DovahBeat
incognea1o incognea1o
Graceling Graceling

Saoirse
Once everything was put away Saoirse decided to change into her uniform, feeling more at ease wearing it since it was part of her usual attire. She had this on more often than regular clothes, and she hadn't been wearing it on arrival because she had carefully packed each uniform she had away. But she got the sense that Professor Tyern's class would not be traditional, so changing felt right. She made certain she was prepared before exiting her room, wondering if she needed to look into warding spells when suddenly the boy from earlier approached her.

Saoirse narrows her gaze at Ha Rim and listens to his words with clear distrust. She then looks at the offered orange and a low hiss leaves her lips. There was something very wrong with this fruit, the magic around it warped oddly and the scent made her nose wrinkle. The fey's gaze was now sharp as steel and twice as deadly as she questions, "Are you seriously offering that thing to me? Is your goal to sabotage the first class by poisoning everyone?"

She lightly sniffs at the fruit before she adds, "
It isn't lethal from what I can see, but still shoddy work. Perhaps a lesson in deception would benefit you more than magic." Poison attempts were not uncommon to the fey and she even took classes where she voluntarily ingested deadly concoctions back home to form immunities. This was literal child play to her. She looks to the others and then Ha Rim, realization flooding her gaze, and a bemused smirk forms as she questions, "Did you...eat this yourself and feed it to the others without knowing...?" A laugh leaves her lips, the sound oddly chime-like despite the mocking tone it had before she starts heading to the Pit while musing aloud, "And here I thought surface people wouldn't be amusing~."​

Zyl huffed and was put out by the students ignoring him or straight up brushing him off. He was about to scold them when he heard something, something unpleasant, but also deceitful. He was about to warn Ha Rim and the others about the Oranges, but Saoirse beat him to it.
"Please don't eat those! They  really don't want to be eaten! None of you swallowed any, right? Please spit it out before it takes effect!" He quickly came up to the grouped students, internally panicking. "Those of you who haven't eaten any, please proceed to the Pit for class! Don't be late! If you have eaten some, please follow me and I'll take you to our healing and support professor!"

Graceling Graceling Veil Walker Veil Walker York_vs_Lancastor York_vs_Lancastor queanbean queanbean incognea1o incognea1o

Abraxas grinned at Bimi, nodding at her question.
"I was just thinking the same kinds of things. Although mine revolved around how badly the Deputy is going to crush me. He scares me a little," he said, biting his lip. If he was honest, a lot of things at this school worried him at the very least. Everyone seemed a lot more confident than him. So he was a bit relieved when the 'RA' looked more and more frazzled as time passed. Taking another bite of his orange, he overheard the mean looking girl talking about how the oranges were poisoned. He watched as Zyl became frantic and tried to escort him to the Healing and Support professor. He snorted, and finished his orange in one big bite.
"This isn't the first time someone has attempted to poison someone from my house, or even me. I know an antidote charm. I'd be happy to do it for you. Or better yet, I could show you how to do it!" Abraxas reached into his robes and pulled out a long, gnarled stick. Drawing a careful circle into the air, he drew some simple glyphs around him, muttering a word in an ancient language before pointing the wand at his own chest. There was a pulse of golden light that flowed through him, along with the slight scent of lilacs.
"I can show you guys again or do it for you or..." His words trailed off as he realized he had gotten more attention than he was used to. He looked down bashfully, and muttered:
"I always liked studying healing, though Father always said it was a waste..."

Rosmin watched as the Abraxas and Bimi joined in, happily munching on their respective fruit. A bemused smile tugged at her lips. "Rosmin," she said to Ha Rim, peeling the orange open. "You and yours have quite the affinity for fruit, but I'm sure stranger bonds have been formed over less."

She was about to express her slight experience in water magic before the pale girl with pointy ears from earlier came along and accused Ha Rim of poisoning them. Then, the RA came along to confirm her suspicions. Which was… strange. Rosmin wasn't feeling any adverse effects yet. She'd only eaten two or three slices but it had just tasted like a normal orange.

It couldn't help to be careful though. "Are you sure the charm is appropriate? For all we know, this is some loosey-goosey soporofic thing instead of just straight-up poison. From what I know, magical fauna is cruel in that way."

To be fair, she didn't know much. Just tales of poor, unlucky sods getting sucked into the hinterland and coming out forever stuck in a dissociated, Bacchic state. Then, the village would be forced to put them down themselves. It's what happened to her parents. But it could very well be an exaggeration on the village's part.

Poison? Bimi looked back over her shoulder when she heard the unseelie girl speak up, eventually coming back around to stand by them. She listened in for a name that never came, although she at least knew now the red-headed girl was Rosmin. Nonetheless, she hadn't stuck around and Bimi would have to ask later. "Pretty neat she could tell just by looking, huh." She cracked a smile.

Bimi also felt fine after eating the orange, but couldn't ignore the panic in their RA's voice, even after Abraxas put on a show of his healing skills. It smelled nice and she smiled. "Teach me how to do that sometime! For now though, I guess we should go to the infirmary..." And just in case Ha Rim was feeling down about potentially causing an issue she threw an arm over his shoulder. "Not like you could have known, or that knowing would have stopped us from snacking anyway." Her smile is bright and reassuring, even as she waved an arm behind them and grabbed on to Abraxas' shirt to pull him in. "Lead the way, Zylfinas! We gotta get to class." She let her arm fall away from Ha Rim's shoulders and marched on ahead with a reluctant boy in tow.

The infirmary trip went quick enough and passed with minor scolding from the assistant who tended them - seemed like the main professor was out. They hadn't seemed all too confident about nullifying whatever effects the fruit carried completely but it would be good enough to save them from most of the grief. "Rosmin, what kind of magic do you like?" Bimi fell back in step with her on their way to the Pit where the rest of their classmates would be waiting. She hoped it hadn't been too much trouble of them to have taken a little sidequest.

Interactions: Ha Rim York_vs_Lancastor York_vs_Lancastor | Abraxas Veil Walker Veil Walker | Rosmin incognea1o incognea1o | Zylfinas DovahBeat DovahBeat

Withdrawing the orange, Ha Rim gave the unseelie girl a quirk of a brow as she sneered back at him, “You could just refuse. No need to make a conversation long,” he stated nonchalantly. More oranges for them, he guessed.

But her later words made him snap to attention—poison? Why would the academy have poisonous oranges lying around? Were oranges even poisonous? He’s eaten plenty of them before. Scowling, he retorted, “Do you make a hobby of looking down on people?” She was really beginning to grind on his nerves with her smug attitude.

Her words lingered in his head—she didn’t seem to be lying. His concern turned to alarm when their RA began to panic. Rushing back, he stammered out, “I’ve made a mistake—”

His second shock was just how nonchalant everyone seemed to be. Then again, this was probably preferred to mass panic.

Ha Rim rolled his eyes playfully upon hearing Bimi compliment the unseelie girl, “Don’t encourage her,” he muttered in a mock grumpy manner, trying to supress a small smile. It probably would’ve been less insufferable if she had been wrong.

Watching Abraxas cast the charm—as expected of a son of a prestigious family—Ha Rim stared at how the glyphs floated in the air before snapping out of it, “I agree with Rosamin. We need to be cautious.” That, and he really didn’t feel like causing an incident on the first day here, “Let’s go to the infirmary.”

Bimi’s energy was infectious, and he couldn’t help but faintly grin—in gratitude if nothing else. Noticing how hesitant Abraxas was, Ha Rim reached out and grabbed him by the arm before he could run away. Whatever protests Abraxas gave, he responded with a, “Yes—we can deal with that once we guarantee your survival. And besides,” he gave the other a shrug, “If we get in trouble, I’ll take the fall. Happy?”

But when they arrived at the infirmary, Ha Rim and the others were met with an empty room. Crossing his arms, he turned to Zyl, “…is your infirmity usually like this?All he could say was: it was a good thing they weren’t in a major emergency.

Saoirse
In moments like these, her nature as a fey seemed to shine through. A mischievous smirk forms on Saoirse's face at Ha Rim's words and she waves over her shoulder as she calls to the others, "Have fun~. I'll be sure to let the teacher know that you are all running late." This incident would put her in a favorable position with the teachers. First impressions meant everything and the fact that a fair bit of the class was absent due to taking magically laced oranges would reflect on them poorly, whereas Saoirse would be seen in a good light for not falling for such frivolity. Granted they all wouldn't get in too much trouble for it, but it was still amusing to watch Ha Rim's expression shift into panic and the teacher's reaction was also funny.

The fey would make her way towards the Pit swiftly after a brief search, and once there she would once more resume her militant stance as she greets, "Hello, Professor Tyern." Saoirse anticipates his next question and explains, "The others are running late. There was an incident with some fruit with latent magic effects being ingested." Being honest was something the fey had no choice in, and even then Saoirse saw no need to lie to Tyern about what happened.​

Zyl sighed as they found the infirmary was missing its professor. At keast the assistant was there to mostly nullify the effects.
"Honestly, I don't know why I even try. No one seems to notice the effort I put into everything, and I'm starting to get tired of it."
He paused looking over the few students before leading them back to the Pit.
"Alright, let's get you back to class. And don't eat the Oranges again! They don't like to be eaten!"
Once at the Pit, Zylfinas silently prepared himself for the scolding tyern was sure to give him. At least the students weren't sick or completely drugged right now.
He didn't know what would've been worse, the students poisoned and to class on time, or them less poisoned and late.

Veil Walker Veil Walker York_vs_Lancastor York_vs_Lancastor queanbean queanbean

Abraxas frowned at the growing tension between Ha Rim and the fey girl. It was odd, but it reminded him of something, though he wasn't exactly sure what. Either way, both seemed to be getting more and more hostile towards each other with each exchange. Abraxas started to think there would be a duel in the corridors his first day, before the girl took a parting shot and left. He felt himself relax slightly, before turning to Rosmin and giving her another of his formal bows.
"Apologies. I forgot in all the chaos to introduce myself. I am Abraxas of House Tenebrae, second son of Maximiliano and Ursa Tenebrae. It is a pleasure to greet you. As for the unintended consequences, I wonder about that," he trailed off for a moment, biting his lip.
"I mean, these oranges come from a tree planted just outside the quarters of first year mages. I'm almost certain we wouldn't be the first young students to get hungry, or at the very least curious about them. Why would they be there if they were so dangerous?" Feeling he had once again overstepped, Abraxas clamped his mouth shut, and let Ha Rim lead him to the infirmary. He snorted as he saw the sign, though he felt a pit of dread growing in his stomach. The Deputy had stated quite clearly that they were not to be late. Abraxas had a bad feeling about this...

``---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------``
Tyern had finished setting up and was resting in a small wooden chair in the middle of the room when a small number of students showed up. The room itself felt like an oven, and contained a number of features. In one corner, what looked to be a miniature active volcano was making loud bubbling noises. Through the center of the room, a shallow but fast moving river snaked through. Scattered here and there, large boulders dotted the landcape that seemed to be a microcosm of three of the elements. Looking at the students, Tyern made a mental note of who had shown up on time, directing his lightly glowing orange eyes in a piercing gaze at Saoirse. He kept his face purposefully blank, though in his head he thought: 'No one likes a snitch. Or someone trying to suck up.' Outwardly, he remained calm and gave her a curt nod.
"What exactly happened with these fruit, and where did they come from?" He waited to hear the girl's explanation, before leaning further back in his chair. The chair gave an alarming creak, but held together despite the large bulk plopped haphazardly in it. Letting out a heavy sigh, he looked out at the gathered students.
"Go ahead and stretch and do any mental exercises that you feel might assist you in your tasks here. I'll wait to start until the others arrive." With that, he sat in silence until Zyl arrived with the rest of the students. He made a deliberate motion of pulling out an ornate pocket watch and looking at it, before looking back up at Zyl.
"Student Lorzaphir, see me after the welcome feast." With that, he turned to the rest of the newcomers.
"You all seem to be in one piece, so no harm done. Those oranges aren't going to do you any harm. They just give you a big boost of energy a short while after eating them. Now, find a spot out of arms reach of anyone else, and we can get started." Hefting himself out of his chair, he motioned for them to get moving.
"Welcome to your first elementalist lesson. You will notice that I did not ask you to bring any of the texts assigned to you to the Pit. That is because the Pit is for practical learning. Consider those texts essential for your homework. Now, I know that for some, this kind of magic isn't for you. I also know that I am not likely to be anyone's favorite teacher. None of that matters to me. I am here to give you a grounding in the basics to begin with, so you can make an informed decision about what magics you want to study. To begin with, however, I want you to forget what you may have been taught about the elements. Many people state that there are only a few basic ones. Most commonly, earth, air, fire and water. This is simply an oversimplification. There are plenty more that do not fall under those simple classifications. It is my goal to share with you any and all knowledge I can about each of the elements. So before we move on to the exercises I have planned for you, does anyone have any questions?" Tyern purposefully put on a gentle face, so the students would not be intimidated into not asking their questions. He knew full well how grumpy he could come off as.

Admittedly, Rosmin was feeling a little nervous. Not about class or the dubious presence of poison, but because the oranges were taking a long time to kick in with whatever with whatever insidious magic thing they were meant to take. The silence made her uneasy, even as they went to get most of the magic out of their system.

She watched as Ha Rim dragged the other boy—Abraxas, who was apparently one of noble lambs—to the infirmary, assuring him he'll take the fall. It struck her just how quickly and unabashedly these two fell into friendly banter. Back in her village, conversations were meant to be hushed and careful and private. She was brash by their definitions. Were all aborning friendships out here this way?

Ros was a little taken aback when Bimi asked her a question. "…I can't say I've had the wherewithal to explore until now. I've only managed to get away with little things like levitating small objects and tossing water around. It's… jarring to be in a place brimming with so much magic. Exciting, yes, but jarring."

When group all got to class and the oranges were finally explained, the restlessness about their effects faded. Rosmin let out a sigh. Maybe eating the oranges wasn't such a bad idea after all. If this was a practical exam, maybe a boost of energy could be useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back