• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Terrarium Heart {Closed}

The change happens quickly as the ringing of her phone presses at Belladonna. Dark mist seeps from her as she shrinks down and quickly takes the towel from Lorelei with a "thank you" and an averted gaze as she snatches up the phone.

It's Gale. Of course it is.

Bella huffs at the device and types a quick response saying they'll be on their way shortly. She glances at Lorelei through her dripping hair as it plasters against her face. "How'd you sleep? Do you want something to eat?"

Lorelei smiled back as they returned to the house. Belladonna changed and summoned a car and she responded as they waited. "I slept alright, it's strange being able to sleep in a bed again. And I had the apple, thank you." The car came and they entered, and Lorelei found this ride just as exhilarating as her first. This seemed to amuse Belladonna, and the thought brought a blush to Lorelei's cheeks again. Soon they were back at the office, and Gale met them at the door. She twittered happily as she lead the pair to a private room, where a couch, a chair and a desk sat.

Lorelei took the couch, as directed, and Belladonna the chair. Gale sat at the desk and opened her computer with a bright smile.

"Today is going to be the first day of our recording sessions. We'll talk here for a while and then you'll get a half hour break before the mages and wizards take you in for physical tests." Lorelei nodded. "Before we start, do you need anything? Snacks, a drink, a blanket?" Lorelei shook her head, as did Belladonna. Gale smiled again and said "I'm going to start by telling you what we do know. Please confirm what's true and correct what's false."

"Unicorns are magical creatures that take a horse like form. Most often they are a silver white in color. They may or may not have cloven hooves and tufted tails. Their horns may or may not be made of bone or crystal. They are protectors, and guard forests or other pieces of land. They can heal almost any wound as long as the injured is still alive. They gravitate towards animals and children. Since they are immortal, their blood can be used to gain immortality when consumed regularly. Their hair, bones and flesh can be used for various magical spells. They have also been known to see the future."

"Yes." Lorelei thought a moment "Pretty much all of that is true, since unicorns don't confirm to any one appearance." Gale brightened, typing away on her laptop.

"Great! Now, why don't you tell me something about your culture? Like an origin myth your people had or a social practice they did?" Lorelei folded her hands together and took a breath before speaking.

"Well... Unicorns are children of the moon. The moon created us from sea-foam and starlight, and sent us to watch over the creatures of the earth. We draw strength from the light of the moon. We can heal wounds on creatures and the land itself. Anything that has good intentions we are compelled to protect. That, I suppose, is your origin myth." She thought a moment, then continued. "Unicorns bond permanently once we grow old enough. When we are young we preform an act that determines our name. For example, my mother was Amalthea who wanders alone, and my father was Zenor who stands strong. We also are given a path by the moon when we reach adulthood. Some get healing, others divination. Then we choose a place to protect, away from our herd. Herds only meet once every few years when it's time to foal, so they can raise us together. Otherwise, we stay in our bonded pairs or alone in our protectorates."

Gayle was typing furiously, her eyes glittering with excitement. "Fascinating! And how do you become bonded?" Lorelei blushed heavily and looked down at her hands, fidgeting.

"Well, it's not that complicated. When you take an interest in another, you...offer to tend their mane. Once you believe you're ready, the moon and the herd bless your bonding and rejoice. After that, your mane can only be maintained by your partner. It's a way of showing trust, and how others know you are bonded."

Her mane. I brushed her Mane. Belladonna sucks in a breath that she hopes isn't audible and wipes her palms on the pant legs. That's why she got shy about it. She closes her eyes tightly, I'll need to apologize. Of course I didn't realize... and she certainly didn't ask me to... Bella stands quickly, skin itching and heads to the door. "I'll just be in the hall." Pacing. I'll be in the hall pacing.

True to form, she treads back and forth in front of the door and down either side of the hall. What coworkers move through the hall as well move to the edges as Belladonna paces by. She can picture her equine form snarling, with her ears pinned back. If I messed up... she wonders if she should tell Vasileios. The thought freezes her in place. Would they assign someone else to her? She shakes her head and slumps against the doorframe. No. I want to protect her. She grits her teeth. I'll give her a choice. I owe her that much.

Gale and Lorelei stared at the door after Belladonna closed it with a snap. For a few minutes, they sat in silence, contemplating. Lorelei kept her head lowered, biting her lip and wringing her hands in her lap. I've upset her. Oh, I hope she isn't angry... What if she asks to be reassigned? The thought crushed her. Even though she didn't know Belladonna that well, she felt connected to her. Perhaps it was because it had been a century since she'd seen another horse spirit. Perhaps it was something else.

Suddenly, the couch dipped beside her, and Lorelei looked up as Gale settled her large humanoid form there. The Griffin patted her shoulder kindly.

"Don't worry about Bella so much." She said "I know she can be...abrasive.. but she really does mean well." Lorelei smiled at her.

"Thank you. I know that Agent Belladonna has a good heart." Gale smiled at her, then checked her phone.

"It's time for you to be heading to the physical test site. Bella knows the way, she can walk you there. " Gale stood, and Lorelei as well. They moved to the door and opened it. Belladonna seemed to compose herself as it swung open, and once it clicked closed, Lorelei looked up into the Kelpie's face to speak.

"I'm so sorry, Agent Belladonna. I didn't mean to upset you so much. I-it all just happened so fast and I couldn't think clearly. I wasn't sure how to explain..." She dropped her gaze, fingering a small heart pendant necklace she'd put on that morning. "I hope you can forgive me."

She's too good for the world. For me. For this. She wants to apologize to me? Of course I screwed up so badly she feels bad. A cold fist squeezes in her chest.

"You've done nothing wrong, Lorelei. I'm sorry I didn't know your customs and I overstepped. I should have asked... But you have nothing, and I mean nothing, to apologize for, ok?" Bella gently taps under the Unicorn's chin, tipping her face up to her own as she searches Lorelei's eyes. "Forgive me, please. If you want to be reassigned a protector because I am unfit," she swallows roughly but maintains eye contact, being sincere, "You're welcome to. I want to stay, but I would understand..."

Lorelei was shocked at Belladonna's confession. Why would she feel guilty? Unfit?? What was she talking about?? It was so obvious she was hurting just by the look in her endless dark eyes, but Lorelei's scar pulsed dully all the same. She reached forward, pressing both of her hands over Belladonna's heart, gently, and the starburst on her head began to glow, softly. She gave Belladonna shaky smile.

"Please, show me where it hurts and let me take it from you." She whispered "I can't stand to see you in pain like this." Belladonna was blushing and gave her a confused look, before taking her hands off of her chest and holding them in her own. Pearlescent tears bubbled over in Lorelei's eyes as she began to cry. "Please don't leave me. I want you to stay--please stay. I promise I'll take away any wounds that hurt you, even if I can't see them." People walking around them began to stop, looking at the women with concern as Lorelei cried, still looking helplessly up at Belladonna.

Bella murmurs softly, "Sweet Unicorn..." she brushes her thumb over the backs of Lorelei's hands, words failing her. I have to say something though. "I'm... I'm not, uh, it's ok." She clears her throat, emotions clogging there in a lump. "I'll stay." She glances up, seeing Gale staring at them from the doorway, and Bella's eyes narrow as she pulls Lorelei closer by her hands. Gale grins at her as Bella huffs at the Griffin and to herself. Returning to the Unicorn now practically in her arms, she says gently, "Let's get to your physicals, hmm?"

Last edited:
Lorelei continued to cry most of the way to the laboratories, but Belladonna's comforting had calmed her down by the time they arrived. There was one mage and one wizard assigned to work with her--both human. They welcomed the two into the lab and had Lorelei sit on an exam table after they took her height and weight. They drew blood from her, then tested her reflexes. One of them then approached her with a knife in his hand, and he gave an apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry, but we're going to have to examine how your wounds heal. Both when inflicted directly and when taken from others. I know it's unpleasant, and we'll have to do it several times with different equipment. Can I have your arm, please?" Lorelei gave a pleasant smile as she did so, and reached for Belladonna with her free hand. When the knife made contact she squeezed her eyes shut against the pain, but before much blood could begin to fall, the wound had sewn itself up, a dim light coming from the scar on her head. "Interesting." The human then turned the knife on himself, creating a clean cut on his forearm. Lorelei's scar pulsed with warning, and she reached out to him almost immediately. Touching him just below the cut, it vanished from his skin and onto her own, where it then healed as the other wound had. Two new scars sat where they had been, and he examined them closely. "Very interesting." He retreated, and the other approached, a woman.

"I'll need a hair sample from you." She reached out, but Lorelei ducked her head away. The mage drew back, looking faintly surprised.

"I-I would like Agent Belladonna to do that, please." She said sheepishly. The mage nodded, handing a small sample bag to Belladonna.

"I'll need at least three hairs with the roots intact."

Belladonna sucks in a breath as Lorelei requests for her to be the one to pull out her hairs. Even with what it means to her... but, I guess it's better for a "known" to pull a few out than strangers. Bella takes the sample bag from the mage and sets it in Lorelei's lap, crouching in front of her. "Your choice, ok?"

Lorelei gives a little nod and Bella slowly reaches up and runs her fingers through Lorelei's hair, looking for loose strands as the thought of pulling out her beautiful silvery hair feels wrong. She manages to get two like that, teasing them free of the others. Focused on the task, she runs her fingers through Lorelei's hair over and over methodically, untangling any knots she finds subconsciously. Her hands pause when she realizes she still needs to pull one free, and she turns to the mage again, "Two should work for now, yes?"

The mage frowns, "We would like thre-"

"Two, then. Great." Bella takes the bag with the two hairs and hands it to the mage, giving her a sharp toothed smile. Taking Lorelei's hands and squeezing them gently, she leads the Unicorn towards the door, "I think that's enough stress for today."

Lorelei was heavily dazed from the interaction, and obediently followed Belladonna out of the lab. They stopped by Belladonna's desk before they left the office. She grabbed some paperwork that had piled up on her desk, much to her chagrin. Soon enough they were back home, and Belladonna turned the tv on for Lorelei while she sat down at the small table to do some work. Her phone vibrated with a text from her boss.

[Smugglers sighted in the area. Keep the house on lockdown tonight. Sending three agents for backup.]

Lorelei looked up after creating a small nest for herself on the couch out of pillows and blankets. A home decoration show played softly in the background. "Agent Belladonna, I was thinking, maybe I'll sleep down by the lake with you tonight? I don't want to make you uncomfortable by staying on land when you don't want to, and I'm used to sleeping on the ground anyway." She gave a bright smile, proud of herself for coming up with the idea.

I haven’t even told her she can just call me Belladonna yet, Bella groans internally. And why must she be so cute nestled on the couch?

She sets the papers she was studying down, giving Lorelei her attention. She deserves to sleep in a bed. Why do I make things difficult? She studies the Unicorn quietly for a long moment. She probably doesn’t know just how dangerous the water is for someone. She wouldn’t have had the time to read up on me. Or on Kelpies…

“It’s dangerous.” And not just for you. Belladonna blushes at the thought. This pure Unicorn so close to the dark waters of her lake. So easily drowned… no… so easily claimed… she bites down on her lower lip hard to try to steer her thoughts away and the taste of blood fills her mouth.

Jumping up from the table, she holds one hand over her mouth and the other out, waving Lorelei off as concern immediately fills her soft features. Bella rasps out, “I’m fine. Just… one minute,” And strides purposefully to the bathroom, closing the door and gripping the sink as she licks at her lip, a trail of blood escaping out of the corner of her mouth and dripping slowly down her chin.

Her fingers tighten as she meets her own gaze in the mirror. The slit pupils of her Kelpie peek through and she snarls. What the hell am I thinking? She doesn’t deserve this. She’s light, goodness… I am a creature seeped in death. Her eyes blaze. And I enjoy it.

A soft knock at the door says her time wallowing is up. Bella wipes her mouth off with the hem of her shirt and opens the door, licking at her lip again. Lorelei’s big doe eyes stare up at Bella with concern and she immediately reaches out a hand to the Kelpie. Bella takes a step back, trying to ignore the way her heart clenches as sadness hits Lorelei’s expression.

Belladonna nearly chokes as the words spill out of her, “No, it’s ok, really. I wasn’t thinking. But I don’t want you to get hurt because of this. Because of me.”

“Does this mean I can’t sleep by your lake?” Lorelei’s voice tugs at Bella and she finds herself leaning towards the Unicorn again.

She braces her hands above her head on the doorframe to stop herself from running her fingers through Lorelei’s soft silvery hair like she did earlier. “I’ll get you a hammock. I don’t want you sleeping on the ground, if that’s agreeable enough with you?” Her voice is thick and dark and melodious as she thinks about Lorelei being so close to her lake once more. Belladonna knows without looking that her eyes have grown dark and slitted as her Kelpie peers out. Assessing. Daring. Wanting…

She growls softly, no more than a whisper of air as the doorframe creaks in her grasp; war raging in her mind between instinct and reason.

Don’t run, sweet Unicorn. We do so love the chase.

Lorelei was delighted that Belladonna had taken to her idea, but seeing the other woman so rigid with emotions. Hr eyes had become slitted and a deep, endless green as she looked down at Lorelei. Entranced again, Lorelei reached out and placed her hand on Belladonna's cheek, not daring to look away.

"Your eyes, Agent Belladonna...they're so beautiful." She murmured. Without thinking, her scar began to glow, and the taste of blood filled her mouth. Swallowing thickly, she didn't break eye contact as Belladonna's humanoid eyes returned, a look of concern on her face. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I'm alright though." Soon enough the wound had healed itself, and she gave a smile. "See? Besides, I promised to always heal you. Unicorns keep their promises." She let her hand fall away, moving so Belladonna could exit the bathroom, a faint blush upon her cheeks. She still seemed to be heavy with some internal debate, but Lorelei didn't want to pry anymore than she already had. "Thank you." She said quietly "For letting me sleep outside with you. I can't tell you how much I've missed the stars."

After dinner, the two set to work. Belladonna insisted that Lorelei wear thick pajamas and bring out many blankets so she didn't catch a cold, and as the sun set they were arraigning the sleeping area. Belladonna helped her up into the hamock before sitting down on the ground beside her, still in her humanoid form. "You can shift, if you'd like." Lorelei said "As long as I can touch you, we'll still be able to communicate." She thought a moment before asking something that had been on her mind. "Would you tell me about your people, Agent Belladonna? I'd love to know more."

Belladonna crosses her legs under her and thinks about all of the things she could say about Kelpies. Most things seem too dark for the Unicorn's ears, so she tries to think of lighter things. Happy things.

"Well, for starters, you can call me Belladonna. You don't have to keep using the 'agent' bit if you don't want." She gives a little smile, "Moving on to Kelpies, we make it a point of pride to grow out hair out as long as we can. You've seen it reflected in my creature side - our manes and tails drag in the water and under the surface they float around us. Because of this, we usually help one another with braids or other such ornamentation, as long as we are with the herds." She glances up at Lorelei in the hammock, "Since it's not quite as... specialized as Unicorns' relationship with their manes." She silently thanks the darkness for being there as heat threatens to paint across her cheeks again. "But like you, we leave the herds after some time and find our way to our own guardianship: a body of water. Sometimes a Kelpie might get uprooted, either by force, or by choice, and migrate to another body of water, but there's a settling in process that must be done alone when this happens."

On that note, maybe I should warn her - quickly, all in one breath, she says, "Ourwatersarethethingmostprecioustousinthatregard." Bella sucks in more air, holding up one finger as she continues in a more normal fashion, "Don't ever touch a Kelpie's waters unless you're ready to embrace death, or you have been carried there." The blush resumes, hotter as it spills down her throat and Belladonna casts her gaze into the night sky, settling herself as the stars twinkle in that blue-black blanket far above.

The waters of her lake lap softly against the shore in the quiet contemplation that follows and Bella almost shifts if only to stop herself from saying more. She hugs her knees to her chest and sighs, the feeling of air moving through her chest pleasant and deep as she releases her daytime worries and embraces the night. Her Kelpie lurks close, ever the ambush predator, ears pricked towards the sounds of fish scuttling about in the dark. She listens, too, for threats in the surrounding woods, and the arrival of the other agents.

Lorelei smiled as Belladonna spoke, listening intently. "Thank you for telling me all that." She said "Since the lake is important to you, it's important to me, too." Before she could continue, the other agents arrived. A Tengu, a shadow demon and a Brownie, all who came up and introduced themselves before melting away into the surroundings to keep watch. Lorelei shifted in her hammock, making it swing gently. She looked up at the stars for a long moment before looking back at Belladonna. "Thank you, Belladonna." She said quietly. "For letting me see the stars again. I never thought I would." Lorelei smiled happily, before bidding her a goodnight and snuggling in. She fell asleep tracing the constellations with her eyes, wrapped up in memories.

The night passed peacefully, and in the morning Lorelei again went to the house to bring back a towel and two apples. She stood by the lake shore and called out cheerfully.

"Good morning, Belladonna! Did you sleep well?"

Bella surfaces further out in the lake this morning, feeling the sluice of water as it falls away from her back. Her hooves churn lazily as she paddles towards shore; chest pushing through the water, she creates a soft wake which splashes along her damp flanks. The surface of the lake is dotted by lily pads, and a frog hops quickly out of her path, though she pays it no more attention than a flick of one of her ears, her eyes never leaving Lorelei. Her neck arches and her nostrils flare as she draws closer to the Unicorn, her creature wanting to look proud and strong as her hooves squish into the lake bottom murk and the water falls further from her shining coat in the morning light. Prancing lightly in the shallow water, her tail flicks water into the air as she huffs gently and nuzzles at Lorelei's offerings; her soft gaze peering at the Unicorn through her long, dripping forelock.

Taking an apple gently in her wicked teeth, it's gone in a couple quick chews. Shaking off more of the water, the dark mist falls away from her form as her once again human hands come up and squeegee water out of her long black mane of hair as it cascades messily over her back, shoulders, and down her bare chest and stomach. Averting her gaze from Lorelei, unsure how Unicorns deal with modesty, she gently takes the towel from Lorelei and wraps it around her body, disentangling her hair from the material which gets tucked under her arms. Her voice is low but warm - warmer than the temperature of the lake - as she responds to Lorelei's earlier summons. "Good morning. Slept ok." The Kelpie yawns, her teeth flashing unnatural points, and she pushes her hair back away from her face, tucking it behind one ear. "How was your night? You were staring at the stars for a long time."

Belladonna's true form was breathtaking, as it always was. Lorelei averted her eyes as Belladonna transformed--she knew that humans were uncomfortable naked, and most creatures felt the same when in such a form. Belladonna spoke, and Lorelei looked back with a big smile.

"Why, it was wonderful, thank you for asking. The night sky was beautiful, even though it's not as bright as it used to be. And so many new stars!! I was dazzled." They chatted for a while as they ascended the small hill to the house, and once Belladonna was dressed, she ordered a car and took reports from the other agents, who had been on watch in rotation through the night. The shadow demon and the brownie accompanied them into the car, while the Tengu chose to fly. Ten minutes into the trip, a large truck slammed into the sleek black car, sending the occupants careening through the cabin. Lorelei screamed as the impact hit, and once they finally stopped rolling, she began to struggle with her seat belt. "Belladonna?" She called out shakily, her vision still spinning.

Suddenly, the car door was ripped open, and a rough pair of human hands reached inside, grabbing at her. Still stuck by the seat belt, Lorelei did her best to evade, but a large fist caught onto her hair and yanked, causing her to yelp in pain. The shadow demon had slithered out of the car, and noises of fighting could be heard from outside the ruined vehicle.

Belladonna's ears ring with Lorelei's yelp of pain as blood blurs her vision from a cut across her forehead. Roughly wiping it away from her eyes, she scrabbles at the seat belt lashed tightly against her chest from the intentional wreck. Cursing loudly as the sounds of fighting reach her, the belt eventually breaks and she throws herself at the open car door.

Finally free of the twisted cage of metal - all that remains of the car - her gaze bounces from figure to figure as she sees Kier, the shadow demon, and Angus, the brownie, fighting with a couple of humans who must be acting as a distraction detachment. Her suspicions are confirmed as Sezul the Tengu lands roughly atop a van as a door slams shut; the squeal of its tires sends rage pumping through Bella's body and the change surges across her skin. Hooves pound against the pavement and an unearthly shriek rings through the turmoil before she slams her shoulder into the escaping vehicle. The frame shudders but it continues on and the smell of gas burns in Bella's nose as the driver leans on the gas.

Biting at the back of the car, she misses but a window rolls down and the flash of a barrel swings her way. The noise is deafening, nearly point blank with the discharge, and white hot pain explodes through Bella's shoulder as the car bounces over a pot hole. Seeing red, she screams at the human, who visibly pales but fires again; shrapnel embeds itself in her chest and her legs grow slick with blood, her energy flagging as she veers behind the car. Sezul has no luck with the top of the car and angrily lifts off the hood as the car rounds a corner and disappears from view. Heaving, legs threatening to buckle out from under her, Belladonna sways on her feet, her head drooping as she stomps a with her rear leg.

Behind her, the distraction team is knocked out and tied up with the other two agents.

Ahead of her disappears the person most important right now. The person I was charged with protecting. She snorts as Sezul's concerned face enters her blurring field of view. I've sure fucked that up.

"Agent Belladonna. Belladonna?"

Her legs feel numb. Is she even still standing?

"Belladonna?? HEY! Call the office, NOW. Med ASAP on our position."

She feels cold. Is it cold? She doesn't remember.

Lorelei is gone. The thought burns in her mind.

Lorelei continued to yell and fight as much as she could against her captors, but they were bigger and stronger, and managed to shove her into the car, barely letting the door slam shut before the car went peeling away from the scene. Belladonna chased them down, only for the man beside her to pull out a pistol and shoot her, twice. Bella cried out in pain, and only stopped after the second shot.

"NO!" Lorelei wrenched the gunman's arm back. In his shock, he whipped her face with the gun, causing her head to snap back. The rest of the ride continued with muffled conversation, but Lorelei was disoriented. Tears began to run down her face at the thought of Belladonna in so much pain, all for her sake. After almost an hour, they arrived at an unmarked warehouse. Lorelei was taken from the car into a small concrete room with no windows. A small while passed before a female human entered the room with some medical equipment.

"It'll be easier if you don't fight me." Lorelei gave her a measured look, before holding out her arm. The woman gave a smile as she set up to draw blood. The woman then drew out an electric clipper, and Lorelei could not suppress the ugly sound that left her mouth. She turned her head away and closed her eyes. Selfishly, she sent out a small thought--almost a prayer. Belladonna....don't take too long.
~~

When Belladonna woke, Gale was nervously fluttering around her room in the hospital wing. She placed a vase of morning glories on the table by her bed, then looked over. She gasped in surprise, before leaping forward to grasp her hand.

"You're awake!!! Oh thank the gods. Bella, you had me worried sick! You've been asleep for three days--though that's not surprising as you did take two anti-magic bullets at close range." She babbled on, tears pricking the corners of her eyes. "Please, don't do that again." The doctor entered then, holding a clipboard and smiling demurely.

"Ah, good to see you awake Agent."

"Awake, right." Bella squeezes Gale's hand and swings her legs off the side of the bed, grabbing at her chest as she remembers the rounds piercing through her hide. Taking a slow breath, she continues pushing up off the medical bed.

"I wouldn't advise getting up so soon, Agent; you did take a couple rounds at close range..."

"Doctor, I have spent enough time in this bed over the last," she glances at Gale, "three days, or so I'm told. I have someone counting on me to protect them, and I can only do that on my feet."

The doctor's smile doesn't slip, used to rowdy Agents. Tapping the clipboard with a pen, she says, "I have to discharge you first."

"What do you need from me to make that happen?" Belladonna asks, rifling through spare clothes set on a nearby table.

"Are you experiencing any pain or soreness?"

"No." Only deeper in my chest than the bullets went.

"Are you healing according to your species' nature? Is there anything impeding your change?"

"Yes." Bella reaches out to her Kelpie and feels the surge like a dark tide threatening to swallow her, tinged with anger. "And no."

"Do you feel like you are in a stable mental space? One in which you can continue your tasking?"

Bella turns to Gale, dressed in a loose t-shit and cargo pants, "I need to go to the lake."

"Do you want me to come with you?" Gale asks, wringing her hands.

Bella shakes her head, "It's ok. I need today and then I need you to help me get a tracking team together."

"Agent Belladonna, you haven't been cleared yet," the doctor stands off to the side, watching Bella move with a clinical clarity as she evaluates whether or not the Kelpie is, in fact, sore. "I have a checklist."

"You and I both know that everything on that list will only be improved when I get to my lake. Let. Me. Leave." Bella emphasizes the last three words, pleading but at the same time heading towards the unlocked door without waiting for an answer. Gale chases after her.

"We'll need the werewolves and maybe a couple fliers to scout ahead -"

"Sounds great, Gale." Bella turns to face her Griffin friend, "I trust you to gather them. I need to clear my head and make sure this shit isn't slowing me down." She gestures at her chest. "I'll see you tonight. We can't wait any longer."

It had been three days. Lorelei was curled into herself on the corner of her cot, her back against the wall. They had shaved her head, taken many pints of blood and several organs--though if they needed them or simply wished to see her grow them back, she was not entirely sure. Lorelei was exhausted, but one thought repeated in her mind through the many painful hours that kept her from giving up hope. Belladonna was coming for her. She just had to hold on a little longer.
~

Gale had the team assembled by sundown. Two Werewolves, a Pixie, another Griffon, a Cyclopes and a Chimera. They had raided the armory for gear and were in a meeting room with a map of the area when Belladonna entered, still dripping wet from her swim. Gale gave a short nod as the Kelpie took the head of the table.

"Now that we're all here, let me explain the plan." She ushered a small grey fox up onto a chair, and with a little prompting it shifted into a young Kitsune. The child gave a nervous wave. "This is Shinjo. He found the Unicorn's location. It seems these smugglers have been abducting the local creatures that live in the wilds an hour outside the city. It's an old nuclear compound they've restored, and he's seen about ten different humans around. We can be guaranteed they have more." Gale gestured to the griffon and pixie. "We will be the scouts. I want infrared scans of the compound from above so we know what we're dealing with. We'll provide areal support and cover the exits while the rest of the team infiltrates." She looked to Belladonna. "You're the boss on this one. Any instructions?"

Bella shakes her head, droplets of water running down her forehead, which she rubs at with a towel. "That's a solid start." She smiles at the little Kitsune, "Good job, Shinjo."

Surveying the room, one of the werewolves cracks their knuckles while the other bounces from foot to foot. The Cyclops and Chimera are waiting by the door; the Chimera giving Bella a mischievous grin which the Kelpie matches. "The rest of us can leave in half an hour. Make sure your NVGs are powered unless you're going in shifted. If we can draw as little attention as possible up to the moment we strike, that would be ideal."

The group nods and as the scouts - Griffins and Pixie - head out, the other four converge on Belladonna. On her way out, Gale exchanges a fist bump with Bella.

"Gibson, Sora, front entrance. Nico and Ella, we'll go in the back."

The Chimera, Ella, frowns a little, "What if there isn't a back entrance?"

Nico the Cyclops and Bella exchange a smile, "Then we make one. Gibson and Sora will either be a sufficient distraction, or all hell will break loose as we enter. This will be on our terms." The group shuffles out of the office and towards the lounge in search of food and coffees while they wait for the infrared scans. Bella catches herself staring out a window and sends the thought out into the world.

Hold on Lorelei, we're coming.

She takes a long sip of her drink.

I'm coming.

An hour and a half later everyone was suited up and ready to launch the attack. The scouts had flown over several times to get accurate thermal readings of inside the building. On the north wall there was a large cluster of magical signatures, and on the south wall there was one that was isolated from everything else. Human signatures were scattered throughout. Once they returned to base, the pixie flew out to begin disabling the vehicles in the parking lot beside the compound.

At Belladonna's signal, the fliers and werewolves launched their frontal assault. Gunfire began, and Belladonna's team moved to the back of the building. Luckily enough, there was a back door. The guards by it were called away by their radios. Taking the opening, Nico crushed the door in like a tin can. He grunted as he took a bullet to the shoulder, but charged forward with a yell. Some humans fled and some tried to stand their ground as Ella and Belladonna entered.

A guard behind the others had hauled Lorelei out of her cell, and shouted for a ceasefire. He put the muzzle of his gun up to her temple, one arm across her shoulders to keep her pinned to his chest.

"One more step and I'll pull the trigger." He warned. "You'll let us out of here if you want her alive."
~

Commotion had started in the early afternoon. A loud bang followed by some strange crunching noise and a scream. Gunfire started, and Lorelei dove under her bed, covering her ears at the harsh sound. Her scar was glowing as the injuries around her grew, pulsing with a dull pain. Suddenly, the door to her cell swung open, and a large pair of hands yanked her out from her hiding place. With a soft curse, she was walked out into the hall, and the cold kiss of metal touched her temple.

Everything else faded away as soon as she laid eyes on Belladonna. Lorelei's face burst into an overjoyed smile, tears beginning to prick her eyes.

"You really came." she said quietly, her hoarse voice almost lost in the commotion.

Bella's hard expression softens at Lorelei's quiet words. Of course I did. She levels her own gun at Lorelei's captor's head, her mouth twisting into a snarl. "Let her go."

"You have no room to demand this of me!" The man cries, eyes darting furtively around as the sounds of battle fade away. Growls come from multiple angles and Bella can tell he's sweating. Prey always sweats. "I have what you want!"

You should know better than to keep her from me. Under her breath she grumbles, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

The gunshot rings in her ears but the close second chills her to the bone.

Lorelei and the man holding her captive slump towards the ground as Bella darts across the remaining distance. No no no no "NO!" Gun holstered, she wraps Lorelei up in her arms, kneeling with the unicorn's limp body. Her beautiful eyes dull as blood runs down her ear and neck. Distraught cries go up around them and distantly Bella hears someone call for a medic. There's no time. No more time. She brushes a soft finger across Lorelei's cheek, angry, bitter tears welling in her eyes as she takes note of Lorelei's shorn hair and the needle marks along her arms. How dare they do this to you. Her Kelpie pushes hard and she doesn't fight it as the shift takes her.

The growling werewolves sit up and whine as the Kelpie kneels and nudges at Lorelei's body. Ella paces over quietly and helps get the Unicorn situated on Bella's back.

Surging to her feet, Bella glances back to make sure Lorelei's body remains slumped across her withers and trots out of the warehouse, ears laid back against her head when Nico steps forward, waving a phone in his hand. One of the others talks quietly to him and Bella catches "...magic transfer" before she's running.

I hope this works. A dark thought crosses her mind. But then, it's not like the situation can get any worse.

By the time she slows, chest heaving, flanks damp with sweat, the cool water of her lake is splashing up around her legs. Her mane and tail pool and drag in the water as the water embraces the Kelpie and she slips deeper. Glancing back at the Unicorn on her back, a bloodthirsty urge rises to the surface. Kelpies are known to kill. And this is her territory.

But another thought burns through her. Mate. Protect.
Her rational mind thrashes, panicked at the thought, but her instincts push the distraction away.

As her magic thrums through her body, reunited with her water, the Kelpie turns towards the opposite shore, towards the protection of the trees. The darkness embraces her as she trudges into the shallows and kneels once more. With great care, she manages to slip the Unicorn from her back and tuck her limp form against her equine chest. It can't be helped that by now the Unicorn's pale skin is dappled with lake water, but a sense of pride fills the Kelpie at the sight. She nuzzles at the woman's shorn head and closes her eyes, urging her dark magic to help. To aid. The sensation burns, the scent of blood ripe in the air, and she shivers as the lake laps at her sides.

I offer you the gift of a Kelpie's heart. May the water restore to you what's rightfully yours and keep the sharp teeth of death at bay.

Her dark eyes flicker open and stare up at the stars the woman at her breast adores. She challenges them. Calls out to them.
Here, nothing will touch you.
Not while I live.

The night sky remains still. The stars shine and blink out as clouds pass over them, unmoving as they always were. The waxing crescent moon glows softly over their heads--steadily shining brighter and brighter. Lorelei's body begins to glow with it, starting at her scar and enveloping every inch. The light was blinding, the lake itself illuminated with it, every fish and leaf within outlined. A serene voice seems to echo from the waters.

You really do wish for her return, don't you? At Belladonna's strong nod, a gentle laugh wove it's way through the water. Then it shall be. Your love is true and pure, but I shall bless you anyway. You are bonded to Lorelei who Dances under the Moon, for now and evermore. This end is only a vessel for the new beginning. The light reached a blinding point, then faded away. The night resumed normally, with frogs calling and bugs buzzing. Below Belladonna's strong body, Lorelei gasped, her heart pumping furiously in her chest.

Long silver hair wreathed around them both--longer than they had ever seen it. Lorelei's wounds were healed, the new scars overlapping upon the old. Her iridescent eyes looked up at the Kelpie above her, and a joyful smile spread over her face. She righted herself in the water, pushing the hair from her face, she reached up and wound her arms around Bella's muscled neck, burying her face into the silky wet fur.

"You're alright." She breathed, her voice shaking. "You're safe. Thank the heavens." Suddenly, Bella shifted, and her arms came to wrap around Lorelei fiercely, holding her so tightly she could barely breathe. Their hair wound together around them, black twining with silver. Still holding on tightly, Lorelei spoke. "You're with me now, aren't you? I'm not dreaming? Please...please tell me it's real."

She's alive. Bella quivers with disbelief as she wraps Lorelei up in her arms. Burying her face in Lorelei's hair, she gently says, "Yes, I'm here." She nearly chokes with a drown-and-damn-them anger that floods through her, "You're never going back there."

The anger pulls away like the tide, replaced with a rush of affection. One of her hands raises to pet softly over Lorelei's hair, her other arm a solid band around the Unicorn's waist, holding her tightly to Bella's chest. "I'm here. You're alive. It's going to be ok." Even if I have to keep you on an island in the lake. A small laugh bubbles through her. I'd have to make one, of course, but it would be worth it.

She pulls back slightly and cups Lorelei's face with the hand that smoothed over her even longer hair. "You look radiant, little star." And it's true. The starlight gleams across her hair and softly across her skin. Her eyes are lit both from the vigor that has returned to her body and from the reflection of the light shimmering down through the night air to the two of them. Bella feels as though she's a dark void next to this precious Unicorn, but as her eyes flick to the water of her lake, which she remains shin deep in, the starlight winks and sparkles across the deep, consuming blush of the water. Not a void. Just a different kind of light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back