• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Terrarium Heart {Closed}

Lorelei looked up into Belladonna's eyes as she spoke, breathless at her beauty against the night sky. The moon behind her head seemed to make a halo, surrounding the Kelpie in light as she smiled. Her heart began to hammer in her chest at the sight, feeling herself blush, Lorelei smiled back, crystalline tears falling from her eyes as they embraced. Closer. She thought. I need to be closer. She reached up and carded her fingers through the other woman's long black hair, smoothing it away from her face.

"You are the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, my Belladonna." She whispered, saying her name like a prayer. Lorelei leaned forward and pressed a kiss to Belladonna's cheek. A starburst of energy spread through her at the contact, and with a gasp she pulled away. Her arms still around the Kelpie, she said "Bella...are we bonded? Have you bonded with me? How? When?" She searched her eyes, a brilliant smile blooming on her features as she lurched forward and hugged her tightly again. "Bonded... Bella, my beautiful bonded. I can hardly believe it! Oh!" She pulled back again and smashed her lips against Belladonna's in a messy, energetic kiss. Bella lost ehr footing in surprise, making a noise as the two fell back into the dark lake with a loud splash.

The flush that raced through her body as Lorelei asked if they were bonded was alarming to say the least. Immediately, Bella wondered if this graceful being would regret it. Would regret her, but instead, this kiss... All of Lorelei's energy seems to be going into it and to Bella's surprise, they toppled over.

Of course, the lake immediately welcomed them in its dark embrace. Closing out the noises of the outside world and breathing life into Bella's shocked system. Hers. Finally. With each kiss they exchange under water, it turns from a frantic but happy mess of bubbles and lips meeting into the slip and slide of mouths learning to meld together. Breath moves from Bella's lungs into Lorelei's and the Kelpie catches the flash of alarm that crosses Lore's sweet face as they slip deeper into the water and she realizes she's breathing through Bella.

Deeper, love. You're safe with me.

A sort of understanding flicks through Lorelei's bright eyes and Bella gives her more air as she deepens their kiss, claiming Lorelei's mouth as their hands intertwine in one another's hair. Underwater, Bella's mane grows and billows around the two of them like searching tendrils. The tips of her hair come to life and brush against Lorelei's skin. Usually rope-like to ensnare prey, here, with her, they're gentle caresses.

Time stretches and collapses around the two of them, sheltered here. When her feet brush the bottom of the lake, Bella opens her eyes and wraps her arms around Lorelei's waist, grinning - a smile full of tenderness and sharpened teeth - before pushing off and surging towards the surface of the lake and the outline of the moon on its surface.

Breaking through in the middle of the light's reflection, she throws her head back and laughs with the release crashing through her. Lorelei's safe. She's here. She's alive. And I'm blessed to be holding her in my arms. She cradles Lorelei close and nuzzles her nose against the Unicorn's, cheeks aching from her smile. "You're all mine." A Kelpie's Treasure. "My heart."

Lorelei flushed bright red at Belladonna's words. Their passionate kisses had made her feel giddy and excited, but now that fresh air had hit her lungs, she felt exhausted. The new surge of energy was depleted, and she felt the tired all the way down to the tips of her toes. Now that they were bonded, Bella could feel everything Lorelei did. Sensing this, Belladonna began to move, swimming effortlessly through the lake with Lorelei's weight. They reached the shore, and Bella helped her up the hill to the little house.

They entered the cottage, and Lorelei thought of taking a shower--the warm water soothing the residual aches from her captivity. With a sly grin, she pulled Bella in with her, and the women laughed as they washed off together. They finished and Lorelei lead Bella into the bedroom, handing her a pair of pajamas.

"Please, stay with me tonight, Bella." She said quietly. "Just tonight. I want to feel you sleeping next to me." Love and happiness swelled up within her chest, and Bella took the clothes from her. With a delighted squeal, Lorelei lurched forward again to press another kiss to her lips. Pulling away, she dressed herself and turned off the light before hopping into bed. Bella crawled in beside her, and Lorelei cuddled into her arms. She nuzzled as close as she could, feeling the Kelpie's strong heartbeat. As she began to fall asleep, one thought pulsed in her mind.

Safe.

Watching Lorelei sleep brought Bella more peace than she thought possible. She could tell Lorelei felt incredibly safe in her arms and it made her heart swell; even in light of her recent failure to protect her unfathomably sweet Unicorn. Nuzzling her face into Lorelei's hair, she breathed in deeply - the kind of deeply she, up till now, could only access in the water. It felt like bliss.

The moonlight streams through the window, pooling and shifting across the comforter as the two magical beings sleep tangled together. Bella acknowledges it before her eyes close, knowing despite all of the ugliness in the world, at least she has this moment here and now with Lorelei. My bonded.

~

The morning sunlight is warm but harsh compared to the moon's caress from the night before. Squinting into awareness, Bella decides the night will always hold that much more of a special place in her life. Stretching away the remnants of sleep, she hugs Lorelei to her and gently presses feather light kisses to the Unicorn's face and into her hair. Lorelei stirs softly and Bella murmurs, "I'll be right back." Sliding from bed becomes the next hardest thing she has to do, given the sweet occupant nestled in the blankets, but she forces herself to the kitchen.

Dragging a hand across her face, she checks the doors and windows, brushing her fingertips over a leaf that twists towards the morning light. Grabbing a bottle of orange juice and some bagels, cream cheese, blunted knives and napkins, she returns to the bedroom. Setting the stuff on the bed in front of Lorelei who's rubbing at her eyes, Bella darts into the bathroom and retrieves a hairbrush, before returning to the bed and smiling as she tilts Lorelei's face up to meet hers in a kiss. Her voice rumbles softly in her chest as she says, "Good morning, beautiful."

Lorelei was still groggy from sleep as Bella gently spread out breakfast before her. She gave a sweet, feather-light kiss to her lips before retreating to the bathroom and returning with a brush. Lorelei smiled brightly and sat up, excited to see what Bella would do to her hair. As they shifted, the Kelpie took a seat behind her to begin and Lorelei started to prepare the bagels.

"Good morning, my moon." She replied softly. Lorelei closed her eyes as Bella's rough hands gently sifted through her hair alongside the brush. They talked idly as she worked, and eventually Lorelei's long hair was done into a simple french braid. They switched positions, and Bella ate as Lorelei worked on her hair in turn. She finished a series of complicated braids to accent her long black hair. "There!" She smiled "We match, but only a little." The couple spent the morning cuddling in bed, wrapped around each other in a happy haze. It seemed that nothing else existed outside of the bedroom, and they kissed and laughed and felt peace for the first time in both their lifetimes.

Bella's phone rang around 1, summoning them to the office. They dressed, and held hands as they waited in the driveway for the car. Bella briefed her on what happened with the rescue mission. They arrived at the office, and were both enveloped in a tight hug from Gale. The griffon chattered away as they walked to Vasileios' office. The Minotaur gave the women a warm smile as they entered and sat.

"I'm glad to see you both recovered." He said "And returned to us safely. Good work, agent." He laced his massive fingers together before him. "I have something urgent to discuss with you." Lorelei sat up a little straighter and cast a questioning look to her bonded. Vasileios sighed and began to speak. "Lorelei, we need you to lead us to the other unicorns. It's time to return them to the world." A shot of icy cold fear raced down Lorelei's spine. It clawed at her heart violently as she shrunk into herself, averting her gaze. So, they were just like the humans, then? They wanted access to her people, regardless of the risk.

"No." She said meekly. "I-I can't. It's not safe enough." Vasileios ran a hand down his face, irritation present in his tone.

"It's much safer now than it was years ago." He argued "I know what happened to you was unfortunate, but I wouldn't be suggesting this if we didn't have a plan. Besides, you're running out of time, Lorelei. You know that. The others are the best chance we have of saving you."

A plan? Save her? Bella's eyes narrow at Vasileios. I haven't been told everything. That much is obvious. Her gaze swings back to Lorelei as she smooths a comforting hand over her little star's back, drawing the Unicorn in to her to protect her, even from the minotaur. What hasn't she told me? Even as the question echoes in her mind, she straightens her spine and puts steel into her voice. "That's enough, Vas."

"Agent, you don't understand-"

"Perhaps I don't," Bella shakes her head, the finely done braids in her hair swishing across her back, "But perhaps you don't either. This isn't my choice to force, nor yours. It's Lorelei's, and she has chosen not to." Bella turns towards the door, sighing to herself as irritation twitches in her muscles. I can't protect her if I don't know the full story, but I won't ever jeopardize her faith in me by pushing for it. She draws Lorelei along, tucked into her side and holds the door open. Gale's inquisitive gaze meets Bella's stormy eyes. The tension in the room shifts behind the Kelpie as Vasileios stands, the chair scooting out along the floor.

"Belladonna, do not step out of this office."

Gritting her teeth, she manages a soft smile as she nudges Lorelei towards Gale, "Would you sit with Gale for a minute, love? It seems I wasn't clear." Gale reaches a hand out for Lorelei as Bella takes a step backwards, closing the door before her with a soft click of the latch. When she turns around, Vas's nostrils flare as he comes head to head with predatory Kelpie.

"Agent, I would remind you of your..."

"If you say 'place,' Minotaur, I would remind you to reconsider."

He swallows, the movement rough as his eyes flick to the door now blocked by Bella. "I was going to say... duty. Obligation."

"My duty, as you so put it, is to that woman out in the hallway who you are trying to bully into doing your bidding."

"I wasn't..."

"I will not stand for it, Vas. I. Will. Not."

Vas cocks his head, "You couldn't mean to quit."

"No, but what would happen if I did, hmm? Just how many people would follow me? And even if they didn't, what one person would I take right out from under you?"

His gaze brightens with anger, "You wouldn't."

"Not out of spite, mind you, but because she is Mine." Bella pauses, words harder to form around a mouth full of sharp teeth, "Do not. Get in between. A Kelpie and their Treasure." She cocks her head at Vas, the movement more jarring as her form ripples, shadows pulling at the corners of the room. She snorts into the gathering humidity, trying to hold off on fully shifting in the office. The two breathe for a minute in silence.

Vas's breaths tinged with anxiousness, Bella's coming in sharp pants.

She finally rolls her neck. When she speaks again, her voice is soft but carries through the room like a fist banged sharply on a wooden table. "I'm not a good guy, Vas. I can be, but it's a pretense that you know damn well I've trained hard to hold onto. For the sake of this line of work. For the others in this office. But do not make the mistake of putting yourself on my war path." Her voice drops lower, "I'm a demon in those stories for a reason."

Vas speaks a bit louder than the Kelpie as he smooths a hand over his lapel, shaking off his nerves. "You get the job done, Agent; you always do."

Something in his voice and the way he avoids looking directly at her after she mentioned a Kelpie's treasure sets her teeth on edge, but she inclines her head to him as a gesture of respect before stalking back to the door. It bangs open but she catches the edge of it before it can slam into the wall, and drags her dark gaze to Lorelei. Gale is clearly making efforts to gently distract the Unicorn, but Lorelei leaps to her feet at the banging of the door. Bella offers a hand to her, drawing the Unicorn into her arms once more and murmurs softly against her head, "I'm sorry for startling you, my star." She pulls back just enough to rub her nose against Lorelei's affectionately, calming her own beast, and says, "You can tell me about all this when you're ready."

Lorelei felt tears well up in her eyes as Belladonna embraced her so tenderly after being reprimanded for her sake. Lorelei pulled away and shrank into herself. Belladonna looked worried and confused, but before she could speak Lorelei turned to Gale.

"Can we go somewhere quiet, please?" Gale hesitated for a moment, but lead the couple to an empty conference room. Once the door was shut, Lorelei took a deep breath as she sat in a chair. "Bella, please don't be mad at me." She begged quietly. "Please. I didn't know how to tell you before. Vasileos said you didn't need to. Please, sit." Belladonna sat in the chair beside her, and held her hands tightly within her own. "I'm...I'm dying, Belladonna." She said, barely above a whisper. "I've been dying for a long time now." The tears finally began to fall. "You see, this body...this curse...it wasn't meant to last this long, even without the abuse. I don't have the power to return to my true form by myself." The Kelpie was silent, unmoving. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. Y-you know, I was never afraid of dying before. I guess because I didn't really have anything to live for. At least my people would be safe. But I'm s-s-so scared now, my moon. I don't want to leave you yet. I don't want to leave you, ever. I wish I was still immortal, so I never had to be parted from you. I'm so sorry." Lorelei pressed her forehead to Bella's, her whole body shaking.

Bella was still quiet, but gathered Lorelei up into her arms and held her close. She could feel the kelpie's heartbeat pulsing through her skin, the warmth of her body triggering her further. Feelings of guilt and shame cascaded through Lorelei's veins as she shook and sobbed.

Holding Lorelei as she cried tore at Bella. Is there nothing I can do? The feelings of shock and helplessness made her want to go wild. I won't lose her. Her Kelpie nature struggled as the thought crossed her mind.

But her star needed her. So she held her.

Anguish over the thought of losing Lorelei, after finally finding her, clogged Bella's throat. She knew she should say something.

She opened her mouth, but no words came out.

Hugging Lorelei tighter, she tries again, the only words that come are that helpless question. "Is there nothing I can do?" Her voice is hoarse and slightly raspy as she fights back her own tears. She understands the feeling of wanting to protect the herd. She couldn't expect Lore to do anything else. Not unless it's her choice. No matter what Vas thinks. "Are the other Unicorns the only answer?"

Lorelei shook her head gently, pulling away to hold her beloved's face within her hands.

"The only one I know of." She replied "It was the will of my people that did this to me. We would need some old magic that is just as strong as a hundred unicorns. I'm so sorry, Bella.." The two clung to each other tightly for a long time, feeling helpless. They excused themselves from the office once they had collected themselves, and returned to the cottage. The night they spent together was quiet and tense. Belladonna swam in her lake while Lorelei laid in the grass nearby, watching the moon.

The next day they were in the office early, and as they settled at Belladonna's desk, Gale came over. Behind her was a tall, handsome humanoid man, who had pointed ears and delicate features.

"Hey girls." Gale said, her tone devoid of her usual cheer. She looked almost...wary. "This is agent Kenneth, and he's...gonna be taking over Lorelei's care from now on." Belladonna jumped up, nearly snarling. Gale held up her hands in defense. "It was Vas's decision! I'm sorry, Bella." Kenneth stepped out from behind the Griffon and have a short bow.

"I'm sorry to startle you both, I know this is sudden. But the agency has a strict no dating policy between handlers and assets. I'm afraid this was the best solution, other than moving either of you someplace else." He moved forward smoothly, and knelt before Lorelei. In one fluid motion, he had taken her hand and kissed her knuckles. "It's an honor to serve you, your majesty." He said, looking up into her eyes. Lorelei squirmed in her seat, blushing heavily.

"W-what?" She asked, breathless and confused. Without breaking eye contact, he gave her a dazzling smile.

"Don't you know, your majesty? Unicorns are akin to gods among horse spirits. I intend to treat you like nothing less than you deserve." He cast a sideways glance at the bristling kelpie. "From now on, that is."

How dare he.

Bella blinks and from one heart beat to the next, she's moved from behind her desk to having this man pinned behind her forearm up against the opposite wall. Her teeth have sharpened and she can almost picture the way his mouth would gape underwater, the last of his air being sucked out of his lungs. She feels feral; her blood thrumming in her veins as saliva pools in her mouth. Bite him. Drown him. Hurt him.

Lorelei's soft voice asks, "Bella?"
Clarity returns like a bucket of cold water. Misty shadows retreat back underneath her skin and she sucks in a deep breath.

"You do not touch her. If I so much as think she is uncomfortable around you, I'll show you the true meaning of fear." Bella snaps her teeth at him, a growl tugging at her chest.

She turns away from him, blatantly showing how little she thinks of him as a threat, and strides to Lorelei, kissing her on the forehead softly. She tips Lorelei's chin up and smooths her thumb over the Unicorn's cheek. "I'll be around, my little star. Even if I'm not within ear shot, you are strong and I believe in you." Bella runs her fingers through Lore's hair, tucking a few strands behind her ear, before glancing up at Gale and nodding once. The Griffin's eyes widen slightly before narrowing and she nods back.

Protect her while I cannot. Bella wills the words in Gale's direction, despite there being no telepathy between them. She gently extricates herself from Lore with another small kiss to the Unicorn's nose, and storms out of the room towards her desk.

Insufferable Minotaur. Him and his stupid rules. It's not like we meant to find our other half. Her Kelpie purrs softly. But that's exactly what happened.

Stopping at her desk, making note of her plants spilling across the barrier walls on three sides of the computer and chair, she brushes a finger over one of her Nerium flowers, rubbing the petal between her fingers. Beautiful, fragile... she leans in and inhales the scent. Deadly. She smiles to herself and rounds the corner, heading towards the office's gym. Hopefully the werewolves are up for a fight. I have some tension to bleed out.

Lorelei managed a smile for Bella before she stalked off in a huff. Gale twittered about nervously before she was called away as well. That left Kenneth there alone with her, looking quite unperturbed about the whole ordeal.

"Shall we go? I'd like to show you some of the good humanity has to offer." He lead the way out of the building. For several hours they wandered the streets of the city. He took her to several restaurants, a park, a museum and an animal shelter. Lorelei felt so much goodwill from many people, she was alight with happiness. The last stop before she was returned to Belladonna was a hospital.

"What are we doing here, Agent Kenneth?" The man smiled, before getting out of the vehicle and opening the door for her. He lead her inside, and took her to one of the top floors. He opened the doors and showed her into a ward, and the feeling hit her like a train. Pain, sickness, grief, death. Lorelei was nauseated by the cascade. She stumbled, clutching onto the wall. Kenneth gently helped her up, then steered her deeper into the ward.

"Look at them, your majesty." He said firmly. "Look at the suffering. Even you alone cannot cure them. Humans are capable of so much good, you've seen that. You can stop this, forever." Lorelei looked at him, slightly dizzy.

"What?"

"Bring back the others." He urged. "No one in the world will have to suffer needlessly again. I know you want to, you majesty." He was right. The protector in Lorelei desperately wished to do something to stop the pain flooding her senses. It was an instinct. Lorelei slipped from his grasp and fell to her knees, before pressing her glowing scar to the floor of the hospital. "No!! Your majesty, wait--!" She could hear Kenneth's voice behind her. But she had already begun. Blinding light flared from her forehead as the maladies from those in the building began to flood her body.

In the office gym, Belladonna was suddenly yanked to the ground, like gravity had increased on her. She could feel the illnesses coursing through her own body--though only at a fraction of what Lorelei felt. A call blared out through the loudspeaker.

"All Emergency Med Units to St. Grace's Hospital."

Bella shudders on her knees before glancing up at Gibson and Sora. Or... down at them. She stomps her hoof and snarls, velvety lips peeling away from razor edged teeth. What did he do. The damned fool. Gibson leaps to his feet and pushes open the door, dropping his gaze to the floor as Bella hurls past. Sora shifts and scrambles after the Kelpie. The gym's landline dials up, but Bella's too far away by the time it connects to Vas's office.

The alarm blares, Med Units to St. Grace's. All Med Units to- the front doors explode outward, one bent off its hinges and the asphalt pounds under furious hooves.
I'm coming Lore.

~

Lorelei's magic pulses through her and the hospital in waves. Sickness coming in, healing going out.

And it hurts.
And then it burns.

But the burn feels different. Darker. Something unrelated to healing. In fact, foreign to it.

Her magic keeps searching, tunneling, and upon reaching the ER, the trauma influx causes her to black out.
There's no room for the feral, black rage in her unconscious mind. But distantly, there is an angry, equine scream in her head.

~

The white hallways are a blur. Nothing in these rooms matter. She's not here.

One floor flies by. Then the next.

Where is she, you sick bastard?

Stairs are taken in leaps and bounds as she narrows in on that light. The beacon radiating through the very walls of the hospital.

Hope. Healing.
Her blood boils.

Near the very top, the tug shifts direction and she butts her head against the stairwell exit, easing the door open. Her dark gaze lands on Lorelei, brimming with light even as her body has slumped in unconsciousness. Bella can see how she was brought to her knees, and how things escalated from there.

Her gaze swings to the man behind Lorelei. His awed smile, and the arrogance that touches the corners of his eyes. He knew what he was doing. Maybe not the scope of it, but he knew. He reaches for the Unicorn and Bella's vision turns red.

Sora yelps, warning Bella or the man, the Kelpie can't tell, but she also has no regard for warnings at this point.
No regard for the life which has brought her beloved here.
No.

He screams, and the sound is beautiful. Blissful in fact. It's too late for him anyway.
Euphoria hits her mouth and nose as the tang of bright blood hits her tongue and spills down his shoulder from where her teeth have sunk into his chest.
His lung deflates and he chokes as blood fills the organ.
The Kelpie shakes her head and hums as blood flies across the walls and paints her hide in splatters.

Another mouthful is swallowed down as her stomach rumbles with a hunger for flesh.
Pound for pound. He hurt her. Make him hurt. Make him-

"Belladonna." The voice is sing-song-y and bright. Bright like the color of fresh blood. Bright like-
"Belladonna, my darkness, I know he was a very bad man, but Vas won't let you get away with... indulging. You know how he is."

The Kelpie lifts her head, the man scratching at her face limply as he dangles from her teeth, ripping another bubbling cry from his throat. Her dark eyes land on a familiar face. A Vampire.

She growls. My kill.

"I know the lovely joys of bloodlust, darling, but it would be bad press for you," the Vampire's lips turn down in a pout. Then she smiles, "I won't take him from you, but you should probably put him down and let the lovely medical professionals take care of him."

Medical professionals? Her gaze drops to the floor and she spots Lorelei; her normal luster dim and exhausted. Drained.

Clarity returns in jagged pieces.

She swallows again and blood pools in her mouth, dripping down her jaw and down the barrel of her chest.
She blinks at the Vampire, and a name comes to mind. Edith.

How is she here? Why? The need for answers pulls at her and she takes a step forward.
The man's legs bash against her forelegs and she stops again. Edith's elegant, tinkling laughter reaches her sensitive ears.

Bella lowers her neck, releasing the man from the death found within her teeth. He hits the floor, laying back helplessly with a groan that turns into a wet cough. Raising her head again, Bella's form shrinks and Edith approaches, heels clicking across the blood damp tiles of the floor. Bella is dazed, her mouth sticky and muscles shaking as rage ebbs within her.

Medical staff rush around them, some reaching for the man at her feet with several units of blood; others running for Lorelei, hooking IV's to her fair skin and an oxygen mask to her face.

Edith raises a hand and wipes away a trail of blood from Bella's mouth, drawing her finger into her mouth and moaning softly at the taste before laughing, "Ah, Belladonna. As glorious in your powers and true form as ever. I've missed you." Her elongated canines glint in the harsh hospital light and the last few pieces of clarity return to Bella.

She takes a step back and presses her forefinger and thumb to the bridge of her nose; the heavy scent of metal and blood and cleaning supplies and death fills the room. She breathes it in and drops her hand to her mouth, wiping away the blood still staining her lips.

"I should say, it looks as if I got here just in time. I'm so glad Vas hired me. Being your partner again will be such a fun trip down memory lane, don't you think?" Edith's voice rings in Bella's ears, the words taking longer to register. When they do, her head snaps up.

"Partner?"

"That's right. Agent Edith." She curtsies, the hem of her long dress soaking up some of the blood decorating the floor. "Vas thought I could temper you while your prior charge is..." her chocolate eyes flick towards Lorelei and the man assigned to her, "otherwise occupied."

Belladonna got quite the reprimand when she returned to the agency. Vas kept her in his office for nearly and hour telling her about the legal and cultural repercussions of her actions. He finished his lecture by putting a strike on her record and telling her that if she came into contact with Lorelei again while she recovered he would remove the Unicorn to a different country. Edith was more than willing to welcome the angered Kelpie into her arms.

It took just over a month for Lorelei to regain consciousness, and in that time Edith and Belladonna went on quite the bloody crusade. They headed every raid and black market deal they were assigned. The department's kill count skyrocketed. Gale looked after Lorelei and gave Bella regular updates on her condition. Finally, security relaxed enough for Gale to sneak Bella into Lorelei's room. Edith tagged along too.

The Unicorn lay sleeping in the cramped hospital bed, hooked up to a number of machines which all beeped quietly. A feeding tube was in her mouth and her hair was unkempt, piled up atop her head in a messy bun. Despite the rest, she still looked worn, she'd healed over 200 people, some on the verge of death. Bella drew a chair up beside the bed and just looked. Edith sauntered around the room, humming to herself.

"My dear Bella, what attracts you to her so?" She asked. "I admit, she does smell quite sweet. A Unicorn's blood is supposed to give you some amazing side effects, too." Bella gave her a glare and shook her head. "No? How interesting." She sauntered back, before wrapping her arms around Bella's shoulders and pressed her lips to her ear. Her fangs touching the skin. "Hasn't this been fun? Reliving the glory days? All the blood and screams....I know you've enjoyed it. Why don't you leave the agency? Come with me." She pressed a kiss to Bella's ear, grinning wolfishly.
~

Lorelei's eyes felt too heavy. She knew the feeling well--drugs. Struggling, she managed to peel them open. When the world shifted into focus again, she saw a lithe, beautiful woman kissing Belladonna's ear. With a muffled noise of protest, both women looked at her. Belladonna pulled away quickly and removed the tube, offering her water after she finished coughing. Lorelei accepted, before reaching out to grab her hand tightly.

"My beautiful bonded, are you alright? Are you hurt?" Her opalescent eyes searched Bella's deep green ones anxiously, fear coursing through her veins. How long had she been asleep? Had Bella really left her? The other woman gave a small snort, muffling a snicker.

"Not much on this earth can hurt a Kelpie, you know." Edith said.

Bella ignores Edith's last comment, shaking her head softly at Lorelei, "I'm not hurt, little star. I'm healthy-"

"Healthy as a horse," Edith purrs. "A well fed horse."

Bella clenches her jaw, and squeezes Lorelei's hand.

"You do know, Unicorn, that Kelpies require blood?"

I'm not going to kill her. I'm not. It's fine. The corners of Bella's eyes tighten but she smiles at Lorelei and pushes forward. "Do you feel better? What's the last thing you remember?" She swallows, her voice taking on an edge as she asks, "Has that man been back?"

"Her assigned Agent, you mean?" Edith asks, innocently. Bella finally turns to glare at her. The Vampire smiles, teeth flashing, "I smelled him just down the hall. Shall I go fetch him?"

"Edith."

"His blood everywhere was quite lovely. I'm sure he'd love to repeat the encounter."

"Edith. Leave him out there." If he really is here. I don't need another strike.

She pouts, "But you had all the fun last time. He did taste good..."

Bella's shoulders move as she heaves a sigh and checks the door furtively before perching on the edge of Lorelei's hospital bed. "Tell me what I can do for you, Lore." Before my damnable job pulls me away from your side again. Before you return to resting far from my arms.

Lorelei watched the interaction warily, but did her best to smile for Bella.

"I remember Agent Kenneth pushing me to give up the location. He said I couldn't heal everyone by myself. He knows it's what I was born to do. I...I remember feeling you. You were angry." Bella cupped her cheek in one hand hand laid a gentle kiss upon her brow. "I want to go home with you, my moon. Please, when can we leave? This place..." Her scar pulsed dully, and she lifted a hand to it. "It's still full of sickness and hurt. Did I fail? Am I getting so weak already?"

Before Bella could answer, a doctor and two nurses entered the room. There was a lot of scurrying, and after a half hour they left again. Lorelei would need to stay another few weeks, she needed to be on strict bedrest. And since Bella was with a new partner with a tight schedule, no one would be able to care for her at home. Edith was perched in the windowsill, inspecting her nails, and Belladonna had returned to her side on the bed. "And Ms. Edith,"

"Agent Edith." The Vampire corrected.

"Agent Edith," Lorelei reiterated "I know that Kelpies need blood. I know what kind of creature Belladonna is. Death is part of life, and many creatures need meat to survive. I bear no ill will towards any creature like that. They all need to live." Edith scoffed, but Bella looked almost relieved. "You will always be my moon. You always guide me to safety." Edith rolled her eyes, and before Bella could respond, Agent Kenneth entered the room. He made a beeline for the bed, placing down a large bouquet of flowers on the side table before kneeling and bowing his head deeply before Lorelei.

"Your majesty, I beg your forgiveness though I know I am unworthy." Bella was bristling, and Edith looked excited, ready to pounce. "I was foolish, and brought you here despite your...delicate disposition. Please, allow me to make it up to you."

"Make it up to her by leaving her alone," Bella snarls. She takes a step towards him and Gale flutters into the room, getting in front of Bella and waving her arms.

"Hello, hello! Yes! Ok! No bleeding the Agent man, yes?"

Bella glares at her.

"Oh, let her at him again," Edith giggles. "She does look so good covered in blood."

Bella squeezes her eyes closed, sucking air into her lungs. Think of Loreleli. Gale's right...

"You should really consider muzzling some Agents, Gale. Maybe pass the message along to Vasileios? We wouldn't want to traumatize or endanger our clients. Especially not one so special."

Red haze falls upon Bella's vision. "You. Little." Her skin tightens and Gale grabs her wrists.

"Don't do it. Bella, I swear. Don't."

Bella makes eye contact with Loreleli and shakes Gale off. She leans in and kisses Lorelei softly. Only to her, she says, "It'll be ok. For now, get better." As she pulls away, Lorelei feels a cool, small object slide under the covers as Bella's face slips back into a hard mask. "Agent Kenneth, it would do you well to think before you speak." To Edith, she bites out, "Let's go."

The Vampire wiggles her fingers at Lorelei, a self satisfied expression gracing her lips and she blows Kenneth a kiss as she exits in the wake of the tense Kelpie.

Lorelei held her breath as the intensity in the room hit a fever pitch. Gale was able to somewhat diffuse the situation, and her heart clenched uneasily as Edith and Bella left. She felt the small object tucked under her leg and suppressed a smile. The rest of the afternoon was spent with Gale and Kenneth fussing over her, before they left in the evening. The doctors did their rounds and at eleven it was lights out. Lorelei's room was softly illuminated by her scar, which was still pulsing in warning of the pain nearby.

Snuggling down into the sheets, Lorelei pulled out the device--a phone! Using her rudimentary knowledge, she remembered enough to dail the programmed number. It rang a moment before clicking, and Lorelei said excitedly

"Bella? Hello?"

"Sorry, she's busy at the moment." Edith answered. "I can take a message though."

"Oh," She replied "Uhm..."

"Do you really think you're a good match for Bloody Belladonna?" Edith asked with a sigh.

"What?" Lorelei asked, her stomach twisting. "What did you say?"

"You heard me, Unicorn," Edith responds. "It's as I was saying earlier. Kelpies are beautiful, dark creatures." She sighs on her end of the phone call, "It's unnatural to pair them with anyone but the strongest, and more than likely someone else who can handle their tendencies. Embrace them at their fullest."

"But I do-"

"You think you do, sure, it's a pretty fairy tale, isn't it?" Edith cuts Loreleli off. "The fair Unicorn and her healing abilites taming the Kelpie and her darkness." She 'hmms' off to the side, "If only it could last."

Lorelei's voice shakes, "Why wouldn't it?"

"You do know what Kelpies do, don't you? They're notorious for drowning their victims. But you see, most of those drownings come from betrayals. I've heard the blood tastes sweeter with heartache. But then, I've seen how she likes it when her victims struggle. The blood everywhere. It's so unfortunate you were already unconscious at that point..." Edith's voice rings clearly through the phone with confidence and a hint of longing.

Outside, Bella wades through the shallow part of her lake as the moonlight ripples across the surface. The water splashes lightly against her shins and feels comforting, erasing the day's aches and the stress of leaving Loreleli in the hospital. She shivers as her instincts pull at her to go deeper. To swim and sleep in the water's embrace. She glances up at the moon, her eyes catching on the starlight twinkling down at her. She takes a deep breath of the cool night air and trudges towards the house.

Barefoot, she steps through to the kitchen and grabs a mug, filling it with water before her ears prick as conversation trickles down the hall. Edith? She frowns softly and sets the mug down as she passes into the sitting room.

"Oh, that must be Bella. It was so good to talk to you. Buh-bye now."

Her eyes fall upon Edith, staring at a phone in her hand, a gleeful smile on her face. Unease pricks at Bella's spine.

"Edith, who was that?"

The Vampire's eyes gleam in the dark as she flips her hair over her shoulder, "A pest. Really, Bella, you hang out with the worst people. I would worry about you if I didn't know better."

Lorelei was shaking as Edith hung up the phone. Fear and sadness plagued her heart, strong enough that she knew Bella would feel a pang. She did her best to take deep breaths and calm down, not wanting her bonded to feel anything unpleasant for her sake. She slipped the phone between the mattresses and tried her best to sleep.

Over the next three weeks, Bella could only visit sparsely. And each time she did, Edith was with her, whispering her little barbs. Lorelei felt as if there were a million needles in her heart, pricking her all the time. Finally, she was released from the hospital, and she was escorted back to the office. There, she had another meeting with Vas and Kenneth, who both tried again to pressure her into leading them to her people again. She refused, and managed to hold back tears, but the gaping loneliness inside her chest ached as she left. She missed Bella so much it almost hurt.

Lorelei and Kenneth ran into Bella's extraction team as they returned, all covered in blood. Lorelei let out a cry and rushed forward, her hands beginning to search her bonded for wounds.

"Oh my god! Where are you hurt? What happened? Oh, Bella..." She found only a twisted ankle and a small cut across her cheek, both of which Lorelei healed before Bella could protest. Edith flipped her hair over her shoulder with a derisive snort.

"You really don't know her at all, do you? We had a thrilling time." Her fanged teeth gleamed in the light. "What good will healing a little bruise do?" But her eyes dilated as a drop of silver blood dripped down her face. She reached forward to take it onto her finger, but Belladonna was faster. She wiped it away quickly, sending a hostile look over her shoulder. Edith shrugged. "Keeping the little snack for yourself, then? A shame. We used to share quite well." Lorelei looked down at the floor, fiddling with the hem of her dress.

"I-I ca come home today, my moon." She said softly. "If that's what you want.."

"If that's what you want." Those words burned through Bella like hot coals being dragged over her skin and her eyes sharpen as they take in Lorelei. She's fidgeting and downcast.

Bella pulls Loreleli close without a thought for the blood soaking into her clothes. "Oh my little star, of course I want you to come back home."

"Home?" Edith purrs, wrapping her talons around one of Bella's shoulders.

Bella tucks Lorelei into her side and twists away from Edith's grasp. Edith growls and Bella pushes Lorelei behind her, growling back.

Edith's eyes flash with surprise, "Bella, Bella, Bella. Lovely, don't do this."

"Don't growl at me."

"Ah but we used to-"

"Edith, we had a long day. Of the two of us, remind me who can breathe underwater?"

Edith's jaw snaps shut but her eyes gleam with excitement. Bella twitches. Of course she took that as encouragement.

Edith glances around Bella at Lorelei. "Do have a good time back at home, Unicorn." She sashays around the Kelpie and leans in, sniffing at Lorelei as she passes. She murmurs, "Sleep well, sweet blood. Don't let the predators bite."

The door closes and Bella nuzzles tiredly into Lorelei's hair. Sighing deeply, she can feel the fatigue set into her muscles, though her ankle feels much better and her cheek no longer smarts angrily. "Let's go home. The house has been empty since you've been gone." My arms... my heart... "I'm sure you'll sleep better in an actual bed." Your bed. Our bed. She pulls back slightly and glances down, seeing blood splotching across Lorelei's skin, and in her hair and clothes. "We can get you a warm bath too. I apologize about the blood."

Lorelei was relieved beyond measure that Bella chose her over Edith. "I don't mind at all, as long as I'm with you." She responded happily, hugging her close again. They returned to the cottage, and Bella drew a hot bath and Lorelei insisted she get in first. Kneeling on the side of the tub, Lorelei gently washed away the blood and dirt and massaging her sore muscles. Bella then moved onto her hair, washing it reverently. This took the most time, but she didn't mind, as the action felt familiar and intimate.

"You really are the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." She said quietly. Bella squirmed a little at the compliment, but laughed softly. Bella got out of the tub and they drained it before filling it once more for Lorelei. Belladonna started with her hair, gently combing through it and humming.

"Belladonna," Lorelei said, bringing her knees to her chest and hugging them tightly.

"Yes, my little star?"

"Do you...regret bonding with me? Do you wish to be with someone else? I understand if I am...not enough for you. I know I've only caused you trouble." She gave a short, bitter laugh, her heart squeezing painfully at the words. If Bella asked, she would let her go with Edith. Though there was no release from the bond, Lorelei would look away if Bella wished to leave her.

Bella's hands froze before she forced her muscles to move again and she gently combed through the strands of silvery hair in her hands. "Why would you ask me that?"

Panic hums behind her sternum and her mind thrashes away from the concept, snarling and snapping overly sharp teeth. "You are my little star. You're my light. Lore," she gently turns the Unicorn to face her, and cups her face, "My love, no. You are more than enough. You're more than I can compete with, but I don't have to. You're hope and healing and good. You're so good. And that's invaluable. The world needs more of you."

She sighs. "Me?" She laughs darkly, "The would wouldn't miss having my kind around." She holds up a hand before Lorelei can protest, "That's not to say we won't be around. We will. But it's different." She gives Lorelei a smile, "But no, little star, I wouldn't regret you, even long after you may come to regret me."

An uncommon giggle comes over her, "Besides, saying you've caused me trouble is hardly anything new in my line of work." She bites her lip. Teeth leaving impressions in her skin. "If anything, I've caused you more pain by being around."

But hopefully it's all been worth it. And maybe it hasn't been worth it yet. But maybe I can prove myself worthy of it all. Of you.

Lorelei reached out and took Belladonna's face in her hands, and pressed her forehead to Bella's. Her scar glowed softly and all of her feelings flooded into the Kelpie. Warmth of deep love and affection, a bright burst of happiness. When she pulled away, Lorelei smiled.

"My beautiful Belladonna," She crooned "You are the only thing in two centuries that has brought me happiness. You showed me that humanity has progressed, even if only a little. I can't...I can't tell you how close I've come to bringing my people back so I would never have to watch you suffer." Bella stiffened in surprise. Lorelei laughed a little. "You've made a Unicorn feel selfish. That may be the first time one of my kind has ever had such a feeling." Bella helped her up and she dried off. The couple crawled into bed together and Lorelei cuddled into Bella's arms.

"I love you, my night sky. You are brighter than the moon and stars together, and more important. You allow me to breathe." Bella held onto her tightly, murmuring back sweet words. Finally, Lorelei felt she could sleep. No pain or sickness tugging at her heart. Just Belladonna's strong heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back