Experiences Tell me about your romantic ships~!

Daisie

Strangely regular (better than the usual bizarre!)
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey all :)

As awesome as platonic relationships between characters are (I have some really good ones going right now), sometimes you just need a good old-fashioned romance story. I know I could talk about my character couples for hours, thus it occurred to me that I bet a lot of you could, too. I really sympathize with the need to vent the hype somewhere, especially somewhere non-judgmental. Whether your partner is MIA for awhile and you can't geek out with them or you simply can't contain your excitement, here is the place to let your heart out!

Tell me about the relationships between your roleplay characters! Let your heart out.

Last edited:
Do you mean the kind of romantic tropes we like to read/write? Or actual roleplay characters in romantic relationships?
The latter. Roleplay characters in romantic relationships - I'll edit the original post to be more specific!

So it’s been forever but I think the most fun I ever had with a romantic relationship was actually writing married couples.

1. Leona was a lion shifter who wanted to hire someone to kill her abusive ex because he was endangering their pride by constantly making war with a rival wolf pack. It might seem odd to count this as a romance since she was fully trying to kill the man. But I really liked her relationship with her husband. Because the original plot was kind of thin on details so I went out of my way to figure out the relationship dynamic. What about her husband did she like? What about him did she not like? What was the line he crossed that forced her hand? Honestly I’m genuinely sad I never got to the show down between the two where she got to say her piece.

2. An arranged marriage HP plot. I played a pureblood wizard who had a very “Victorian” view of marriage. Like he viewed it purely from the perspective of a business transaction designed to increase his families standing. I know in at least one case he was explicitly not interested in having a physical relationship with his spouse.

I loved it because it forced my partner and I to really deconstruct what romance actually is. Like they were genuinely shocked at how recently people didn’t consider physical attraction OR romantic attachment to be a requirement for marriage.

The relationships between the characters were also great as it made them think about what exactly makes a relationship/marriage work. Like they couldn’t just assume being physically attracted to one another would make up for lack of shared interests or whatever.

I didn’t get very far but I was genuinely looking forward to exploring the culture differences and what love really means.

I would also love to do just like a divorced couple reconnecting but sadly don’t actually have any written characters for that. Mostly because no one really likes writing marriage plots.

Not much to say, I'm a boring person and I rp fandom romantic ships that are canon. In these cases I prefer to rp post-canon established relationships, because in canon story we see those relationships form and get established and I want to explore how it goes on from where the canon ended, it also allows to create some original plot which follows canon but is not the same story.

Some of the ships are not actually canon, but the chemistry between the characters was enough (in my opinion) to give it a go as AU. And I also had a lot of fun with such ships! One of my longest roleplays is like that. In this case, the main reason why I even try out non-canon ships is whether I see those characters together or no. If characters barely interacted in canon and have very little things in common it's not likely that I'd rp them as a romantic ship. But if they had some sort of close relationship or just interesting dynamics in canon then I might be up for exploring that as a "what if these characters could be together" scenario.

There was also a fun and romantic rp I had with fandom character x OC and my rp partner included some bits of the rp in their fanfic which somewhat commemorated the rp! XD

I'm currently involved in a college-themed Romance Roleplay with someone I've known for years. It's mostly just fluff writing, mixed with some minor plot points, but I digress. It's good fun.

And roughly 7 months ago, I asked this same person to be my girlfriend (calm down, we know each other in real life too), and she said yes. :)

1. Leona was a lion shifter who wanted to hire someone to kill her abusive ex because he was endangering their pride by constantly making war with a rival wolf pack. It might seem odd to count this as a romance since she was fully trying to kill the man. But I really liked her relationship with her husband. Because the original plot was kind of thin on details so I went out of my way to figure out the relationship dynamic. What about her husband did she like? What about him did she not like? What was the line he crossed that forced her hand? Honestly I’m genuinely sad I never got to the show down between the two where she got to say her piece.
I adore the drama in this, lol. Abusive ex husband, trying to kill one another, wars, pride, all the good stuff. I'll mourn with you the death of whatever RP that was cause honestly I'd want to see how that turns out, too.

I'm currently involved in a college-themed Romance Roleplay with someone I've known for years. It's mostly just fluff writing, mixed with some minor plot points, but I digress. It's good fun.

And roughly 7 months ago, I asked this same person to be my girlfriend (calm down, we know each other in real life too), and she said yes. :)

Oooh, congrats! I hope you have a long and happy relationship.
... Oh! and in real life, too. :P

Bro...I'm not the only one who started dating an RP partner? I remember telling both myself and my girlfriend that I would never date an RP partner...we've been dating for ten months, going on eleven next month.

As for me, phew, i have a lot, so I'll go into my favorites:

One of them is between a married queen and her personal guard. Usually I don't much care for adultery, but this story in particular is so layered and well written there's not really a good or bad side. yeah, the couple is wrong for cheating, but the queen's husband is emotionally distant, while not being a bad person.

Another has yet to happen, but it has ben planned. In an Avatar RP that I'm currently trying to start writing for again, my Avatar OC is set to get with the niece of his Waterbending teacher. There's sort of this bad boy, upbeat girl dynamic between them that I already love, and the shit I'm gonna put my character through is gonna make the eventual romance all the more rewarding.

I'll cap off with one my girlfriend and I are doing. Basically, imagine two members of a D&D party got married and started an inn (not to be confused with a very similar group RP I'm doing with a close friend.) That's Addam and Vali, a human paladin and a tiefling barbarian respectively. They both give off massive mom and dad energies, and writing them is a ton of fun.

One of them is between a married queen and her personal guard. Usually I don't much care for adultery, but this story in particular is so layered and well written there's not really a good or bad side. yeah, the couple is wrong for cheating, but the queen's husband is emotionally
I love that right there. That character depth and those layers, doing bad things without necessarily being a bad person. It's just so gritty and real, I'm just a sucker for that kind of stuff, seeing how people's strengths and weaknesses play against each other.

I love that right there. That character depth and those layers, doing bad things without necessarily being a bad person. It's just so gritty and real, I'm just a sucker for that kind of stuff, seeing how people's strengths and weaknesses play against each other.
Exactly! It's not a black and white situation. There's a lot of nuance around the whole thing I adore, especially now that the king is actually starting to get less distant with the borth of thgeir first child

I've got an interesting thing goin on rn, so... I suppose I should share!

I'm a real sucker for trauma and drama, so this particular situation is like heaven to me. My character, R, hasn't ever really had the time to think about any sort of relationship, instead focusing on surviving a fast-paced and dangerous life. She hasn't even registered it as an option before.

Cue my partner's character S, stumbling in and being a complete jack@$! wherever he goes. First impressions are not good, she really despises him, but as time goes on that bitter sarcasm turns into genuine chemistry, with playful back-and-forth snarks. Love-hate, if you will.

It's been steadily building for... 2 years now? In real time, not RP time. And after a long journey spanning the entire RP, we're getting real close to this relationship actually blooming. Slowly whittling down the hate for each other and replacing it with a realization of just how similarly screwed up the both of them are. They've shared a few tender moments despite their tough exteriors and are really starting to open up. The buildup has been intense.

But we can't have that! Trauma & drama, remember?

Just recently, R has been going down a dark road. Because of the cutthroat and brutal nature of their environment, she's had a past history of smoothing things over with pills and booze. Before S came along, she'd managed to get sober, but when a couple of events happen, including S offering her a few drinks in celebration of something or other (completely innocently, too), her hunger begins to reawaken a little...

It's when she's unlucky enough to associate with a serious enabler that she starts to really pick up speed. Things escalate quickly from there and she keeps her drug abuse under wraps as long as she can, her enabler using it to blackmail her for their own gains.

Just recently the bubble burst. Not only that, but she's even been taking S's medications. He's utterly betrayed and the fact that she isn't as perfect as he'd pictured her is tearing him apart, and she's having one heck of an awakening to just how far she's fallen from grace. Neither of them would I classify as bad people at heart, but mistakes have been made that can't be undone. It's a serious bump in their development and I just can't wait to see what happens next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back