Tantrums in Roleplaying: Post your stories

Upton O Goode

Catastrophic Success
<p>

We've all encountered players that have done something wrong; godmoding, metagaming, making Mary Sue/Special Snowflakes or goodness knows what else. There's more than a few threads that talk about this kindof stuff, but this one's about the one's that get REAL mad about stuff. Here's my example; there was once a player on a site I used to go to that wasn't happy with his lot in one particular RP. He thought he was being left out, ignored, and generally not respected. Now, I can't say for sure if that was the case, but I can say for sure what he did about it. His character suddenly called on their gang connections (which I'm not even sure if they had actually outlined beforehand) to cause a hostage drama in the RP. The other players went along with it at first, but he kept trying to force a "win" situation for himself (which I assume entailed the gangsters killing people or worse...) and an argument started. He got all huffy, they got all huffy, the RP ended. The same people decided to start the RP again, and in either a display of pure stupidity or benevolence, they invited the same player that caused problems in the original. He ended up doing the exact same thing, down to suddenly producing criminals to point guns at people. Did I mention this was a slice of life RP? Cause it was a slice of life RP. It was just supposed to be about teenagers doing normal shit, but this guy got all salty and suddenly there's mafia goons with assault rifles. So stories like that are what I'm talking about. It can involve (and probably will involve) godmoding and metagaming and all that, but what I want to hear are your best stories about people going nuts and having a big ol' tantrum in an RP.

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahahaha - I love this topic. Don't mind if I vent/shake my head in bemusement.

Armed villains. Hitting up teenagers -- where, at a high school? What was it supposed to be, the French Club crime syndicate? That's hilarious and groan-inducing.

Anyone else have issues with player jealousy? I used to participate in online group RPs pretty frequently, but it was exasperating; you'd inevitably get that one player who felt like they were entitled to another player's exclusive attention. I'm not sure which scenario was worse: when you were the one getting PM yelled-at for "intruding on someone's turf" because your character entered a mundane conversation with someone else's favorite character (this happened to me), or being the object of the attention-hog's annoying affections (this also happened).

I was once participating in a group where the founder/leader's girlfriend doggedly set out to respond to everyone's posts and involve herself in EVERY conversation. It was like her own personal writing stage. Eventually we, the other players, low-key teamed up to try to force her to pick a part of the plot and stick with it. We'd split up in the worldspace, creating situations where our resident young starlet would have to physically occupy two different spaces at once to stick her nose into everything. Well. She did. By spontaneously revealing her character's secret time altering powers, which had totally been there all along, obviously.

The RP ended when the group's leader (she was swell; no fault of hers) sent everyone a polite, apologetic PM saying the group was "putting a strain" on she and her girlfriend's well-being. What? There weren't even any fights. Yikes.

Ah, yes. The reality of roleplays is that you'll always get these people. *long sigh*

When I was younger, I used to roleplay on a different forum for some online game. Can't really remember the name now. All I know is that the site itself wasn't specifically for RPing, but it had a decent RP section that my friends and I loved to dabble in. So naturally, after participating in a few roleplays, we decided to create our own! We spent hours on the plot. Hours. We got absolutely obsessed with the idea of running our own roleplay. In our eyes, it was kinda like a claim to fame.

So eventually we started. At first, things went fine. Quite a few people flocked to our roleplay and made character sheets, so we felt mighty proud (I often enthused to my mom about it-- though naturally she wasn't quite as excited xD ). But then, a dark cloud drifted over our success... a dark cloud in the form of the biggest jerk in the history of roleplaying. Being young and stupid, we accepted the guy even though he made us uncomfortable. But he criticized everyone's characters, our plotline, constantly whined that things should be going faster, and even called us names. Bad ones. The kinds that you really don't want to hear in your preteen years.

Long story short, everyone began drifting away just because of that one guy, and we didn't do much about it because we'd never gotten into a situation like that before. The RP ended really quickly after that. ((and of course the guy sent us angry PMs wondering WHY we quit so we literally were forced into blocking him... Aaargh.))

[QUOTE="Queen Yukari]Ah, yes. The reality of roleplays is that you'll always get these people. *long sigh*

When I was younger, I used to roleplay on a different forum for some online game. Can't really remember the name now. All I know is that the site itself wasn't specifically for RPing, but it had a decent RP section that my friends and I loved to dabble in. So naturally, after participating in a few roleplays, we decided to create our own! We spent hours on the plot. Hours. We got absolutely obsessed with the idea of running our own roleplay. In our eyes, it was kinda like a claim to fame.

So eventually we started. At first, things went fine. Quite a few people flocked to our roleplay and made character sheets, so we felt mighty proud (I often enthused to my mom about it-- though naturally she wasn't quite as excited xD ). But then, a dark cloud drifted over our success... a dark cloud in the form of the biggest jerk in the history of roleplaying. Being young and stupid, we accepted the guy even though he made us uncomfortable. But he criticized everyone's characters, our plotline, constantly whined that things should be going faster, and even called us names. Bad ones. The kinds that you really don't want to hear in your preteen years.

Long story short, everyone began drifting away just because of that one guy, and we didn't do much about it because we'd never gotten into a situation like that before. The RP ended really quickly after that. ((and of course the guy sent us angry PMs wondering WHY we quit so we literally were forced into blocking him... Aaargh.))

[/QUOTE]
Agh, Queen Yukari, what an awful experience. I feel righteous indignation for your preteen self. Sounds like this guy expected to be crowned King of the Word and given unlimited powers to ridicule his disloyal subjects. Makes me glad sites like this exist; seems like a safer improvement upon the depths of public chatroom RPing.

Amen to that. This site looks so much more organized, which is a huge relief. I have a feeling you don't find as many people like that here. xD

What irritates me the most are the people that only want to get into relationships in RP's. I personally enjoy some romance, but only if it's natural. If it flows, it goes.

But when people start pestering me in OOC about how to impress my characters or what to say to get them in hed to something else ridiculous, I get genuinely annoyed. The whole point of these RP's is to have fun, not fake-date. Now, if it's obvious that two characters have chemistry, I'm more than happy to discuss it in PM, but not these two people that are total opposites and have nothing going for them, it just doesn't make sense!

While I don't recall any RP tantrums at the moment, I will always remember that there's always the jerk who would ruin it for everyone. Crab mentality was the main reason: "If I can't have it, neither can you." RPs would go swimmingly whenever I ran it like a communist state with plenty of strict rules. I'll update once I look into the archives and recall.

Hoooo boy do I have a long list of stories to tell about this. I think I'll stick with my favorite one, though.

Once upon a time, I was RPing on Tumblr. Great idea, right?

In my fandom, I wrote a highly flirty character with commitment issues that everyone and their mother wanted to ship with. As this lead to a copious amount of drama that began to get exhausting, I deleted that blog and started a second one. This character was oblivious to flirting and just wanted to study magic...and she apparently became the most eligible bachelorette in this group because the same amount of drama happened.

For my third attempt, I decided to go all out and make them the least romantic character I possibly could. This time, I made a duo. One was an outright sociopath (Leland) who only cared about his employer in a strictly platonic way, and the employer in question was an old grumpy fart of a monster who lived to insult other people and make them miserable. To top it all off, I put front and center on my blog that this was a romance free zone.

They were a fun duo, and as they weren't about to play nice with anyone, I had a great time being the antagonist in just about everyone's story.

And then Peach came along.

Peach's character wasn't so bad on paper, so when she asked if I would RP with her, I didn't think twice of it. What I expected was for Leland to start getting under her character's skin, maybe even frightening him. What I got was her character instantly falling in love with Leland and writing love letters to him. Yes, actual love letters. I was....weirded out but I didn't really mind, until Peach, in other threads with other people in the community, started to refer to Leland as their character's boyfriend. Straight up loving, romantic, not-joking-at-all, boyfriend.

Seriously irritated by this, I messaged Peach and told her that, while it was cool she was interested in my characters and I appreciated that she liked them so much, I'd really rather she not say he was in a relationship because 1) she did this without asking and 2) this is a ship free blog. They could, however, still be friends.

Peach lost it.

Endless messages hit my inbox. Endless posts were made on her RP blog and her personal. She was yelling about why everything had to be unfair, why she couldn't have what she wanted, and so on and so forth. Around the 20th post she really went off the deep end and the messages became less amusing for me and more genuinely frightening. I blocked her and that was about the time the content of her posts made me really glad she didn't know where I lived. She was livid.

Apparently she never got over it, either. I left my blog to come here and, from what I hear, she still posts about Leland...the dream-boat boyfriend that never was.

IrradiatedWarden said:
Hoooo boy do I have a long list of stories to tell about this. I think I'll stick with my favorite one, though.
Once upon a time, I was RPing on Tumblr. Great idea, right?

In my fandom, I wrote a highly flirty character with commitment issues that everyone and their mother wanted to ship with. As this lead to a copious amount of drama that began to get exhausting, I deleted that blog and started a second one. This character was oblivious to flirting and just wanted to study magic...and she apparently became the most eligible bachelorette in this group because the same amount of drama happened.

For my third attempt, I decided to go all out and make them the least romantic character I possibly could. This time, I made a duo. One was an outright sociopath (Leland) who only cared about his employer in a strictly platonic way, and the employer in question was an old grumpy fart of a monster who lived to insult other people and make them miserable. To top it all off, I put front and center on my blog that this was a romance free zone.

They were a fun duo, and as they weren't about to play nice with anyone, I had a great time being the antagonist in just about everyone's story.

And then Peach came along.

Peach's character wasn't so bad on paper, so when she asked if I would RP with her, I didn't think twice of it. What I expected was for Leland to start getting under her character's skin, maybe even frightening him. What I got was her character instantly falling in love with Leland and writing love letters to him. Yes, actual love letters. I was....weirded out but I didn't really mind, until Peach, in other threads with other people in the community, started to refer to Leland as their character's boyfriend. Straight up loving, romantic, not-joking-at-all, boyfriend.

Seriously irritated by this, I messaged Peach and told her that, while it was cool she was interested in my characters and I appreciated that she liked them so much, I'd really rather she not say he was in a relationship because 1) she did this without asking and 2) this is a ship free blog. They could, however, still be friends.

Peach lost it.

Endless messages hit my inbox. Endless posts were made on her RP blog and her personal. She was yelling about why everything had to be unfair, why she couldn't have what she wanted, and so on and so forth. Around the 20th post she really went off the deep end and the messages became less amusing for me and more genuinely frightening. I blocked her and that was about the time the content of her posts made me really glad she didn't know where I lived. She was livid.

Apparently she never got over it, either. I left my blog to come here and, from what I hear, she still posts about Leland...the dream-boat boyfriend that never was.
This right here is why I don't do romance as a whole. And for those more well-rounded individuals that like fluff I'll insist it's an established relationship. Because otherwise you get full on crazies like that. At least this way if I do end up with a crazy-pants I'm aware of it rather than being blindsided down the road. Always best to know these things as soon as possible.

Now for my own tantrum, well I have one that stands out to me right now as a doozy.

So taking it back a few years I was itchin' to join a Teen Titan roleplay on another site. I found one just getting off the ground and settle in to help the GM get it off the ground. I volunteered to make graphics, help fill out settings, etc. Really dug in you know.

I even had an idea for a character that I pitched to the GM and she was cool with it. I'm in the chat plotting with everyone and it's all going great.

Then this one random person decides to be a Prima Donna and be all "I don't like Mary Sues so I don't think I'll join this roleplay". This in what was basically the private discord server for the roleplay ( it wasn't discord but it was a similar premise )

So that's kind of a strange comment and everyone is like oh no there are no Mary Sues. And Prima Donna says "Well I don't like nerdy's character he is a Mary Sue and so I don't want to roleplay in this game."

And so naturally I'm pretty offended because - um excuse you rude person calling me out in the chat like that.

Then the icing on the cake is the GM who has been perfectly nice to me and perfectly okay with my character up to this point goes ;

"Well actually nerdy lots of people have been complaining about your character so you need to play someone else."

This when absolutely NO ONE in the chat has ever said anything except Prima Donna. And when I'm one of the people who helped to create the entire roleplay.

And again all this in the chat.

Needless to say I'm steaming by this point but whatever I've put too much effort to be kicked out. So I end up completely rewriting my character.

And wouldn't you know it. Prima Donna is never heard from again. They pretty much just posted in the chat to start random drama and make everyone cater to their whims then peaced out.

Worst. prima donna. ever.

Oh boy, this one I've been wanting to get out for a while.

So, as I said another thread, I participated in Warrior Cats RPs on the Barnes & Nobles Nook device. The thing is, most of the players godmod, metagame, or bunny (in the case of the trolls). The few who are good RPers have to put up with their nonsense.

My favorite story of this is when I was in a Clan as my cat OC Rabbitleap. See, I'm the medicine cat of this particular Clan. One day, one of the "evil" Clans attacked our Clan. No cats who came to me died, because I'm a good medicine cat, and those who died were the ones who were one-shotted and never did anything about it.

The next day, I post as Rabbitleap, and RIGHT after I post one of the other cats make a dog NPC and one-shot me because they were angry with me for a reason they never said, and asked me to stay dead even though they godmodded and I did nothing wrong. I couldn't do anything anyways, because if I try to remain alive because of the unfairness of it, the hypocrites call me a godmodder and suddenly I'm the worst person in the world. I imagine it's because one of their in-RP relatives or friends died, but what can a medicine cat do about a dead feline because of a one-shot?

oh my god, one time i was a weeb on facebook and set up an account for an anime character, two girls wanted to date me and i said no to both (i was in a relationship at the time) and they both literally cracked the shits, started posting slander about me saying how i had intercourse with them both and would have cat-fights in public about me. this went on for months, all the while they still tried to get with me, and after many, many refusals i thought they got the message.

no.

to this day, i don't go onto that account because they can't take a no. i'll log in and they'll spam me with messages, one-liner rp responses, the classic "..." *sits in the corner*/*sits on your lap*, they'll bitch about the other person whilst claiming to be best friends, they'll add me to group convos, make 15 new accounts to talk to me on and then complain in vague posting about how rude i am.

it was honestly the worst, i'm glad i moved away from that-

In a forum I used to play in we had a player who nobody... nobody liked.

He was rude, ignored any attempts to help him, he took any critic as a personal insult. The forum focused on original content and he copy pasted entire sections of wiki to fill his character powers. The forum players tried to mantain a low level of power among the characters, he made light speed moving, 100 ton lifting, piles of powers having crazy overpowered characters and complained when nobody allowed him into their threads. We also did Fandom centric RPG from time to time. He played in a Fate/Stay Night one doing a new Holy Grail War and when he started to lose he said "Rocks fall everybody dies but my characters and they get the Grail"

He accused everyone of plotting against him, when he clearly was fucking up on his own. He got banned and appeared with a new account saying he was "a friend" of his banned account and took over the characters. We allowed thinking he was going to stop being a pain in our collective asses, thinking the ban got him scared. But in less than a month he returned to the same **** he did before. He insulted people, he ignored any rule or regulation in the forum, godmodded, autohitted and no-selled his way to be the most hated player. He had a force field because one of the mods of the forum (The RPG was a sub-forum) was a friend of his and protected him without even finding out about his mistakes.

He reached a point of not giving a fuck so big he stole a whole arc from Rave Master and tried to pass it as his own original creation. He stole every scene and many lines of dialogue. That was the breaking point, nobody even touched his stuff from that point onwards. He still plays in other forums, still sucking a lot, he couldn't understand why a Postapocalyptic Setting should have a Wasteland.

We did a file compiling all his tantrums, mistakes and other shit in a pdf file (With a snazzy cover drawn by an artist showing one of his "finest" moments, when a "funny guy, class clown" type of character started throwing grenades that created black holes in the London streets because he was being ignored by two other people fighting) and we use it as an instructive about what not to do in the new forum.

Ah yes, the newbie restrictions. I can see you've already made it to 10 posts, so perhaps come tomorrow you could share it with the class? I'm pretty sure it's after 24 hours and 10 posts that you can do basically anything.

Okay, I'm asking my pals to throw me the link.

It has a whole bunch of stuff done by the guy, not everything, we don't like 400+ PM with us trying to train him and him ignoring us....

Bios, threads, OOC and other stuff, plus our reactions, ranging from understanding and collaborative to extreme anger and frustration

TyrantKingKuma said:
We did a file compiling all his tantrums, mistakes and other shit in a pdf file (With a snazzy cover drawn by an artist showing one of his "finest" moments, when a "funny guy, class clown" type of character started throwing grenades that created black holes in the London streets because he was being ignored by two other people fighting) and we use it as an instructive about what not to do in the new forum.
Screaming GodMod tantrum juice on a whole wheat cracker, @TyrantKingKuma, this sounds effing fantastic.

+1 for Release the Masterfile!

I remember a certain user on this site that had a few break downs before he was banned. He mainly did things like randomly freaking out in the OOC, having his characters do things that made absolutely no sense like when he had a pilot somehow crash a futuristic helicopter though a heavily fortified bunker and have it somehow be completely intact, threatening to report people for just wanting to reboot an rp that died, and also saying things like children in Third World countries should starve to death because he's being bullied by an overweight girl.

Sorry, but after the other users from the forum convinced me I won't release the whole file, because as much as we hate the guy we don't want to put him in evidence everywhere. It would be like bullying.... I can copy the text from some his greatest hits.

HOW TO FAIL IN A BIO

• Consider that the forum had in average
  • Sound Speed characters
  • 10-15 Tons Strength
  • Street-Level Powers
  • Note the grammar
  • I couldn't add the image but he was using the guy from the 3d movie Firebreather as look

"

Name : Jason Rosewood

Race: Dragon Hybrid

Alignment Good

Story

He grew up as a normal teenager. He was popular though he nevr actually played on any of the sports teams. He awakened to his powers as a dragon hybrd when he was 16. His father is a gigantic dragon who sits in a cave bhind his mom's mansion. The cave is really large enough for he him to stand up. He learned to control his power through intence trainng. He began trvaeling after he graduated college

Powers

• Fire: He is able to breath fire and emit it from all over his body storng enough to turn a planet to ashes
  • Durabillity: He has planet Level durabillity
  • Fire resistance : Only special flames like that of dragons and phonixes can burn him.
  • Speed: He is truly lightspeed thanks to his size and dragon power it's one advantage he has over most dragons
  • Strength: He can destory mountains with just one jab
  • Magic: He also learned dragon magic from his father

• Weaknesses'and Vulnerabillities

High tier dragon slaying wapons like ascalon

"

I love it already.

What kind of roleplay did he submit this to, anyway? I'm guessing it wasn't supposed to have dragons involved either way.

TyrantKingKuma said:
Sorry, but after the other users from the forum convinced me I won't release the whole file, because as much as we hate the guy we don't want to put him in evidence everywhere. It would be like bullying.... I can copy the text from some his greatest hits.
HOW TO FAIL IN A BIO

• Consider that the forum had in average
  • Sound Speed characters
  • 10-15 Tons Strength
  • Street-Level Powers
  • Note the grammar
  • I couldn't add the image but he was using the guy from the 3d movie Firebreather as look

"

Name : Jason Rosewood

Race: Dragon Hybrid

Alignment Good

Story

He grew up as a normal teenager. He was popular though he nevr actually played on any of the sports teams. He awakened to his powers as a dragon hybrd when he was 16. His father is a gigantic dragon who sits in a cave bhind his mom's mansion. The cave is really large enough for he him to stand up. He learned to control his power through intence trainng. He began trvaeling after he graduated college

Powers

• Fire: He is able to breath fire and emit it from all over his body storng enough to turn a planet to ashes
  • Durabillity: He has planet Level durabillity
  • Fire resistance : Only special flames like that of dragons and phonixes can burn him.
  • Speed: He is truly lightspeed thanks to his size and dragon power it's one advantage he has over most dragons
  • Strength: He can destory mountains with just one jab
  • Magic: He also learned dragon magic from his father

• Weaknesses'and Vulnerabillities

High tier dragon slaying wapons like ascalon

"
Did that rp accept his character? And if so, did the rp's GM create some ridiculous, over the top character to deal with him?

In the forum in which we played we had a single big world that allowed any kind of weird stuff following 3 rules

• The events happen in present day Earth
  • Any kind of supernatural activity was hidden from the regular humans
  • The characters are street level.

The setting allowed the creation of continuos storylines of many different parts (Our new forum continues the same storylines)

He made uberpowerful characters -> Nobody allowed him in their RP -> He blamed us for not letting him play -> He bitched to his friend mod who threatened to ban us if we didn't let him play -> We allowed him to play -> He fucked our threads

The guy had an obsession with Highschool DXD and Sword Art Online, considering them "Among the best Anime" 3/4 had powers stolen from Highschool DXD....

Extract from his actual Bio, of an "original character"

"It also known as the Gaunlet of the Red Dragon Emperor. It houses the spirit of the Welsh Dragon Ddraig. It has the ability to double it's possessors power every ten seconds. It'a one of the Longinus and also a part of the The Two Heavenly Dragon Sacred Gears. There's a weakness as it makes Rex vulnerable to dragon slaying magics,swords, and curses due to Ddraig's spirit. It also has a variety of annoucements which are put in [ ] The Boosted Gear has the ability to double the user's power every ten seconds, that power can used to not only increase his destructive capability but his reflexes,agility, and such. It can also transfer boosted power to others, this is called Gift. It can be used on multiple people or things at the same time at the price of efficiency and loss of some power. Then there's Explosion which 120 seconds worth of boost is used at once, though after using it the user cannot boost for 120 seconds after the Explosion power drains out. Then there's burst which occurs around 180 second or 18 boost when Rex can no longer boost as he is at the limit between him and the Boosted Gear or when he takes too much damage. The burst limit will increase as Rex's base improves."

Compare with Highschool DXD wiki

He could never write a personality description without contradicting himself

"Longinus Hero is stubborn, short-tempered, strong-willed, and impulsive.Despite claiming not to care about what other people think about him, he attempts to maintain a detached and "cool" image.His outspoken, hot-headed demeanor is a trait he himself has acknowledged, and if somebody picks a fight with him, he cannot helping back. He coldly refers to his teachers as "instructors".[] He is genuinely compassionate and empathetic towards others. He has difficulty remembering people's faces and names.He's often disrespectful when talking to those older than himself."

This was one of my many replies to that bio

"Your character is two sided, he is short-tempered but tries to look cool. He is outspoken, but tries to be deattached. He refers to his teachers by title, but he then is disrespectful. He is two sided. He cannot be empathethic and forget their names and faces. The concepts counter each other. You are trying to cram too many personality traits into a single character"

His reply

": one is thing is that whole part I pretty much stole from, Ichigo's personality."

My reply

" Ichigo isnt a good character.....in any possible definiton of good or character"

It's amazing how brazen he is about how he took other character's stuff for himself. Did you ever try defining plagiarism for him?

Tarquin said:
It's amazing how brazen he is about how he took other character's stuff for himself. Did you ever try defining plagiarism for him?
We did, we painstakingly explained to him what he was doing wrong. For months... I had a 20+ pages PM with him trying to help him improve, but he never read what you told him and he did what he wanted. And then complained about not getting into RPs

He depleted my patience when he copied a whole arc from Rave Master and insisted it was his original idea... he copied everything, characters, locations, names and scenes... it was painful to read.

He had characters who were clumps of Highschool DXD powers with a ludacris self-insert backstory, contradictory personality and they always had an harem.

He had an epic tantrum in the Holy Grail War RPG we did when the other players called him out for saying that his character had unlimited prana and basically all the powers any character in the Nasuverse had times 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back