• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Tales of Ayoth OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Reinhardt Reinhardt
So, I have some questions by now.
Highly considering making a druid kinda character, living somewhere in the forest in a small, secluded community, doing stuff and then being sent forth by a higherr calling or somethin.

So, nature based healing magic, charms, tonics, potions and the like, do they work any differently from "normal" magic? Anything specific I need to know 'bout it? Like, does it maybe work off of forest spirits linked to the old ones or maybe it holds aspects of ancestor worship? Just some info on that, pretty please.

Tips and tricks around that whole thing I guess, hueh.

Would something like this be good?

Moreso a myth than a being of substance, a homunculus, also known as a wraith or phantasma, is said to be an artificial lifeform spawned by the hands of a heretic. The idea itself was conceptualized centuries ago from the machinations of a human who had turned his back on the old gods. Legends then state that the man, who had wished to resurrect his dearly beloved, became disgusted at the hollow monstrosity he had created and ultimately destroyed every remnant of his research. His failures, however, did not stop others from chasing after what seemed like mere pipedreams.

Over the ages, those who sought the secret of life churned out abominations one by one. Yet from among the monsters, an individual would occasionally successfully birthe the ideal manifestation of his or her delusions. These homunculi were modeled after their creators—oftentimes humans or the etherborn—in every aspect. The singular difference was that their hearts were not hearts but rather an artificial core formed from a dense concentration of mana which would then circulate throughout their bodies. This, however, made them vulnerable to anti-magic and imperfect designs would frequently lead to fairly short lifespans. Eventually, the distressingly low success rates and the persecution of the practice as heresy led to it fading into obscurity once again.

I'll probably be adding a few points in my CS to specify some things since there would be differences between homunculi based on who created them and how they were created.

Yes. Just going to clarify something here - since they don't have the same biology as the mortals, they should have different reactions to mana compared to real people, right?

Reinhardt Reinhardt
So, I have some questions by now.
Highly considering making a druid kinda character, living somewhere in the forest in a small, secluded community, doing stuff and then being sent forth by a higherr calling or somethin.

So, nature based healing magic, charms, tonics, potions and the like, do they work any differently from "normal" magic? Anything specific I need to know 'bout it? Like, does it maybe work off of forest spirits linked to the old ones or maybe it holds aspects of ancestor worship? Just some info on that, pretty please.

Tips and tricks around that whole thing I guess, hueh.

Generally, most of them work the same, aside from relying on various nature-based ingredients and catalysts. There are, however, a fair amount of advanced spells out there that would involve nature spirits, and even some of the old gods and Ancients. You can also bolster and enhance the spells with the aid of such beings - let's say a druid wants to be more powerful under the moonlight, so he'd ask for the blessing/aid of an old god/Ancient, specifically someone who holds domain over the night.

I can expand more on the old gods and Ancients if you want more info on them for your character, though I'll need to know what aspect/kind of druid-esque magic you are going for. I can keep things vague if you want to so when they get revealed IC it'd be surprising or something like that lol.

Yes. Just going to clarify something here - since they don't have the same biology as the mortals, they should have different reactions to mana compared to real people, right?
I would say that though it is mana that has brought them to life, they are also limited by it. Their cores interfere with any attempts to use magic via mana extra, and using the mana stored in their cores would either severely weaken or outright kill them. Given the inefficiency of most designs, most are probably also incapable of taking in mana like normal mortals, hence typically short-lived lives, or doing so may potentially damage their cores due to incompatibility (like poison or a really bad allergy).

I would say that though it is mana that has brought them to life, they are also limited by it. Their cores interfere with any attempts to use magic via mana extra, and using the mana stored in their cores would either severely weaken or outright kill them. Given the inefficiency of most designs, most are probably also incapable of taking in mana like normal mortals, hence typically short-lived lives, or doing so may potentially damage their cores due to incompatibility (like poison or a really bad allergy).

I see, that clears up a lot. Thank you. I'll be looking forward to your character.

Archie Archie Can you tell me more about Diablerie? I am curious as to how it works.

Is it something that can be turned on and off? Does the strength growth last forever, or just until the spell(?) duration ends?

Generally, most of them work the same, aside from relying on various nature-based ingredients and catalysts. There are, however, a fair amount of advanced spells out there that would involve nature spirits, and even some of the old gods and Ancients. You can also bolster and enhance the spells with the aid of such beings - let's say a druid wants to be more powerful under the moonlight, so he'd ask for the blessing/aid of an old god/Ancient, specifically someone who holds domain over the night.

I can expand more on the old gods and Ancients if you want more info on them for your character, though I'll need to know what aspect/kind of druid-esque magic you are going for. I can keep things vague if you want to so when they get revealed IC it'd be surprising or something like that lol.

Righto, thanks!
My character's going to be the small community's resident druid apprentice, acting as a medium towards the deities, performing rituals and most importantly (I suppose) serving as a healer. For that, they'd be using herbs and other natural ingredients to create tonics and potions, empowering them with magic before use. I guess you could say it'll be a mostly plant-based druid, as opposed to the animal shifting kind.

Generally, going with the old god Cerpus is the safest option. Since his domain is prolonging life, gaining stronger healing magic wouldn't be too hard - especially if the god takes a liking to the character. Magic-wise, Cerpus isn't really the strongest option. Usually the Syrieth/Illieth just invoke his name for smoother spell casting, but there are some times they get better magics for doing so.

There's the twin goddesses - Lune, the moon goddess, and Solre, the sun goddess. Unfortunately, they don't get along with each other, so they'd only give blessings if you worship only one of them. They'd be able to bolster your magic capabilities on different times, but not to drastic degrees. They are easier to contact with compared to Cerpus, though.

Nature spirits aren't that rare in Ayoth, but they tend to hide due to the influence of the Creed. It should be difficult for a druid character to find and make contact with one. They'll have a decent impact on druid magic if you get in terms with them, but not on the same level as the olds gods and Ancients would be able to give you.

Compared to normal ones, druid magic tends to use Mana Extra a lot more, and the effectiveness of their spells often vary based on their current surroundings. Most of the time, the more untouched their current environment is, the more potent their spells get. Druid magic in general is considerably one of the most versatile, but there are other forms of magic that would be greater in that field.

Last edited:
Archie Archie Can you tell me more about Diablerie? I am curious as to how it works.

Is it something that can be turned on and off? Does the strength growth last forever, or just until the spell(?) duration ends?
Sure!

I envisioned it just as a magical cannibalism of muscle mass and warm/freshly killed blood - the closest thing to absorbing the remaining "life force" of a recently killed creature. Its limits would mainly be around human physiology. 90% of the time, Manfred would probably use it for healing after a fight is done. If he adds more muscle mass, that creates a strain on the heart that might be alright for a modern bodybuilder, but not for a warrior who needs the endurance of a marathon runner. It only draws on energy from blood and physical muscle mass, so no magical abilities are absorbed either. It isn't exactly a combat ability, but it certainly helps him survive tough encounters and move onto the next one, which is useful for his job.

Sure!

I envisioned it just as a magical cannibalism of muscle mass and warm/freshly killed blood - the closest thing to absorbing the remaining "life force" of a recently killed creature. Its limits would mainly be around human physiology. 90% of the time, Manfred would probably use it for healing after a fight is done. If he adds more muscle mass, that creates a strain on the heart that might be alright for a modern bodybuilder, but not for a warrior who needs the endurance of a marathon runner. It only draws on energy from blood and physical muscle mass, so no magical abilities are absorbed either. It isn't exactly a combat ability, but it certainly helps him survive tough encounters and move onto the next one, which is useful for his job.

Ah, I see. With that out of the way, Manfred is approved!

To those who have their characters approved, Emmi Emmi DergTheDergon DergTheDergon Archie Archie AiDEE-c0 AiDEE-c0 , I'd like to know how you wish to start the story - should we go with the classic tavern meet-up, or do you prefer something different? Perhaps different intros, leading to an unlikely grouping up of the characters?
Hmm... well, I have my own perspective on starting, so I think we should take a vote, and majority wins.

I believe we should all have introduction posts introducing our characters so others can have a taste of what our characters' personalities are. And from their, we start to build up the story to the groupings. Having just the groupings almost immediately wouldn't have our characters' reactions to the slow grouping and others wouldn't be able to have a sample of our characters' personalities.

But it's my own opinion, and I know lots of people prefer grouping since it saves time.

Alrighty... Just got the notice.. Because I just got on the computer. I'm inactive on weekends... plus, I'm about to go on a three week long hiatus. Sorry...
I guess make a CS while I'm gone? Heheh..?

Alrighty... Just got the notice.. Because I just got on the computer. I'm inactive on weekends... plus, I'm about to go on a three week long hiatus. Sorry...
I guess make a CS while I'm gone? Heheh..?

Not a problem, I'll figure out a way to let you in later should you still wish to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back