• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Tala Tales: The Demon Pact

Dirus would take the book and sit down in the chair reading through it, learning what he could of the murders. He read through it seeking the addresses, any list of surviving Kin and if all of them had ties to dark mages. He also sought to see if there were families left of the dark mages already executed. He would want to speak withthem.

The murders began about two years ago, and occurred every few months. Most took place at night, though a few did not. All but one of the victims died from having been fatally wounded by a blade, the location and number of wounds differed slightly from person to person. The crime scenes always contained some hint of witchcraft paraphernalia, most frequently runes or symbols, though sometimes there were candles lit or burnt offerings as well. The runes themselves had not been copied down into the notes, likely out of misguided fear that that alone would invoke some evil power.

The first victim, Wilmot Rudnick, was a lower-class human in his late thirties. The records indicated he had been arrested multiple times for petty theft. He would serve his sentence, his family would pay the damages, and then he'd be released only to fall into the same trouble again sometime later. He had just been released yet again the day before his death. His body was found by his sister, in the small shack of a house where he lived alone.

The second and third victims died within two weeks of each other, and had been friends who lived together. Larine Bennell, an elvish woman, died first. She was discovered in an ally a few blocks from their home, in the middle of the night. Her friend, Emelita Drazen, died in their home. Neither had any family within Heton, but the notes indicated they might be missed by the men who regularly paid for their company.

An adolescent human boy was the fourth victim. His name was listed only as 'Arun', and the notes explained he was an orphan with a younger sister. He had been known to beg on the corner, suspected of pick-pocketing, and frequently stirred up trouble with a group of rowdy boys around his age. He was killed by the river, and a few of his friends witnessed the death, but saw only a cloaked and masked figure commit the crime. In fear, they ran before any more details could be gathered. However, one did suffer some wound from the killer when they initially tried to drive him off.

A few days after the fourth death, a man matching the height and build of the figure described was executed. Ralf Harte had been a former lover of both the women, an employer of Wilmot at some point (however briefly), and he had been witnessed shouting at Arun and friends multiple times, for loitering outside his bakery and begging off of customers. Someone (the notes did not specify who) claimed to have seen him using shadow magic in his work. He left behind a wife and two young children.

There was an extended gap of five months before the next murder. Hubyr also lacked a surname, and was described as an ill-tempered simpleton who regularly got into fights in the taverns. He had no living family, but worked a number of odd jobs around town, mostly doing heavy lifting. During one of his fits of rage, he injured a young woman passing by in the square, just two days before his death. He was attacked in a run-down house on the edge of town, where he lived alone. However, he did not die there but managed to stumble further into the city and attract the attention of a guard before bleeding to death. Dark magic runes were found etched into the door of his house. His death was pinned on an orc who regularly antagonized Hubyr, when he was found to have a demon-pact symbol scarred into his arm just below the wrist. The orc was executed a few days later.

The sixth victim was another thief, Amicia Selwyn, who worked as a servant in the Harlow manor and had been found to be pilfering jewelry and clothing and coinage from the estate. Amicia died in prison, and the cause of death was uncertain. Poison was suspected, but the coroner had been unable to confirm this. The death was tied to the others only because another dark magic rune was discovered on the outside of her cell window. She was mourned by a mother and four siblings, all but the youngest two were employed by noble families in the city. Her death was listed among the unsolved cases.

A seventy-two year old noblewoman died next. Gilda Savill was found in her bed, killed in her sleep -- the servants discovered her the following morning. The dark magic symbolism was quite elaborate in this case, with multiple runes drawn all around the room and the skull of an animal placed in the center, among other things. A few of the hastily scrawled notes indicated she was not well-liked in the city, one particular note proclaiming 'good riddance' but had been crossed out, perhaps in regret of speaking ill of the dead. She had several children and grandchildren in the city, most lived in the same manor she had lived in. For this death, a traveling merchant was executed. He had not been in the city for long, his name was unknown, but he had been rumored to show off illusion magic of frightening images, suspected to have been performed using dark magic rather than light.

Besides Anri and her uncle, the final two murders were unsolved. They were Arnald Manston, a guard who had been discovered accepting bribes to 'look the other way' on illicit activities, and Gerard Yonge, a nobleman. Arnald died in the midst of his midnight patrol, leaving behind a wife and infant son. Gerard had several sons and a daughter, but was a widower. His body was found behind his manor one evening, after he had been missing most of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dirus shuffled through the other papers, not bothering to hide his appearance as he intended to walk out the front door in light of the letter that had arrived. It was stupid curiosity to see what the guard might do more so any arrogance. He made metal notes regarding the book reading it all over once more. Wilmot Rudnick, Larine Bannell, Emelita Drazen, Arun, Ralf Harte, Hubyr, Amicia Selwyn, Arnald Manston and Gerard. The first cases he wanted to check out was Wilmot, Arun, Amicia, Gerard and Arnald. He took these names to mind as he went to try find a list of residencies, wanting to find each victims' home. When he was done he put everything back though obviously disturbed.

Having wizened up, Dirus lifted himself up onto the roof of the guard house and exited that way. Of course if any looked the door was broken, he placed a protective symbol of light and dark magic that he would come to tell of the lord another time. He made his way to the apothecary he had seen the man run to before. After landing outside it he would seek to move inside if he could as he was curious as to the mans emergency and maybe that he could provide healing. He would have to wait till morning before he did much more which included finding Arun's sister.

The apothecary door was slightly ajar, with a little light spilling out into the street from within. The voices of a man and woman could be heard conversing. The man was the same who had been seen limping here before, he sat just inside the door and looked up when Dirus entered, at first giving a little nod of greeting, then a double-take when the sight of the Kuldari truly sunk in. He was in the process of unwrapping a bandage from his right ankle, which was quite swollen. The woman was behind a counter, busily rummaging through various items across the shelves and drawers and cabinets there. Her hair was slightly disheveled, and she wore a nightgown and shawl, looking much like someone who'd just had their sleep interrupted. She had not noticed Dirus' arrival, for her back was turned to the door and she was mumbling something to herself while she frantically searched. "Now where did grandfather put that varo root...? He's always moving things out of place!"

Mischievous thoughts crossed his mind once more, though this time with not enough time to think about it he incited it. Dirus moved a finger to his lips to tell the man to keep quiet as be moved to stand behind the woman, when she was to turn he would be the first thing she saw. He was ready to catch anything she might drop in surprise and only seeking to subject her to a harmless prank. When she did turn, he spoke. "Maybe I can be of assistance, I also believe there is something we might need to talk about."

The woman gave a yelp of surprise and backed into the shelves, causing many of the jars to rattle and clink, but thankfully nothing fell or broke. She looked quite irritated for being startled like that, placed a hand on her heart as it was now thumping wildly in her chest. "Who do you think you are, sneaking up on a girl like that, for shame!" She scolded as she stepped up to the counter where a few other ingredients were gathered. She had located the root, and began grinding it to a powder to add to the concoction she had started prior to his arrival. "Just what sort of assistance might you be? Usually people come in here seeking aid, not offering it."

He held up his left hand, a sphere of light magic coming to it. "There is also the thing of where I may need to talk to you if you are the one who healed the one who suffered the wounds from the... well killer that has been about here." He looked to the patient and then to the girl. "I don't much find shame in pranks, would you like me to tend to the person while I am here?" His gaze then turned fully on the patient. "You have nothing to fear of me as well. I am a Paladin, if you know who they are then you know I am not like most of my other kin."

The woman looked at his light magic display, and her irritation was immediately forgot. "Healing magic? By all means, if it gets me to my bed sooner, go ahead." She waved over to the injured man. "Do you mind?"

He looked skeptical, eyeing Dirus warily. "What'll it cost me? Do I get my coin back for the potion?"

"Of course." The woman said, tossing him a silver coin while she proceeded to clean up the potion ingredients again. "Now as for your other question," She said to Dirus while she worked. "I don't recall anyone being injured from that attack last night... besides the victim of course. Or do you mean a past incidence?" She frowned in thought. "There was that one lad who got a pretty nasty cut from the guy who killed that street urchin. That was almost two years ago, though. Still, he's the only person who's had a run-in with one of the murderers and lived to tell the tale." She went to the cupboards and began stashing things away, being very particular about how things were placed, and straightening other objects as she worked with a little grumbling about 'grandfather' under her breath. "We did tend his wound, yes. A large gash in his upper arm. I remember it clearly because it was one of the first I got to stitch after I started training here. We also provided a salve to prevent infection."

While she talked, the injured man finished unbandaging his ankle, and would allow Dirus to heal it.

Dirus turned his gaze down to the man who was bandaging his ankle. His gaze returned then to the healer. "I wish to speak with the child and I presume to know that you'd know where to find such." He his attention then turned to the mans foot. At first the light in the room dimmed as he drew upon it, at first whips of light started to dance around his hands, turning to thread that danced around his wrist and hand. The last stage was a mist, folding on itself and also expanding. Dirus directed his hands down to the mans wound and this mist came to blanket around his ankle, heel and lower shin. The effect would prove immediate, if it wasn't for is potency his healing would be sub-par. The wound would heal quickly although some stiffness in the area was to be experienced. "Flex your foot for five minutes, make sure to loosen the muscles and next time be more considerate. She needs her sleep as well, get your medicine before nightfall, this is the price."

He stood back from the man and off to the side allowing her to deal with the rest. He would still seek to speak with her after the man had left, in the mean time he would gander at her shelves looking for any evidence of a magic user, or of any components for poison. He trusted healers as much as killers, for healers knew how to kill as well as the later. The light to the room had returned, illuminating the area as it had done prior.

The man thanked him, and now feeling a bit guilty for bothering the woman, soon left to return to his own home.

The woman finished straightening things up, while she 'hmmd' thoughtfully to his request for information about the injured child. "I seem to recall his name was... Orr-... Orran? Orrin! Orrin Fairfield, I believe. His mother brought him in to be treated, and he was about fourteen years old at the time. So he'd be around sixteen now..." The shelves contained nothing out of the ordinary for a well-stocked apothecary. Some herbs had harmful effects if used in the wrong ways, but they also had useful purposes if mixed with the right things. Since she was still being kept from her bed, she was using the time to reorganize items that were out of place. This behavior gave off the impression she didn't like to stay still, she was almost fidgety, or perhaps uninterested in the interaction. "Come to think of it, I saw him recently... Yes, I think he works for some of the fishermen by the river, cleaning their catches for them. He also still hangs around with his other friends by the north bridge. So, I don't know where he lives, but by the river would be your best bet in finding him."

Then she came to the counter again with a few bits of this or that, mixing up some small potion with which she seemed quite familiar, as she scarcely had to look while preparing it. "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Dirus nodded to her words storing away the information in the back of his mind. Telepathically he sought to commune with Zultharus. 'Boy called Orrin Fairfield. Hangs out by this cities north bridge see if he turns up there in the morning.' He smiled to the woman and shook her head at the question if he would need anything else, he didn't say goodbye but headed for the door and closing it behind him. While he smiled to her face he didn't trust her, pretty much not exempt from the treatment he placed on everyone else.

This time he would he would walk the streets dropping into the form of a black wolf although the size of a normal dog instead of the normal one he took, as he should easily be mistaken in the dark at least. He ventured on to where Ralf Harte's house was on the map. Having gained the basic layout of the city from his sky voyage he was quite confident in his ability to navigate. When he reached the house he would look for any signs of life along with any scents the house might offer.

The woman called a polite "Good evening, then." as he turned and left. Finished with the potion, she immediately drank it herself, locked the front door, and headed back to bed.

The Harte's house was adjoined with the bakery they owned. The smells of yeast and flour and day-old bread permeated the whole building, and the large front window still bore displays of various loaves and buns for sale. It was locked, and no light shone from any of the windows, but three people slept within: an adult woman and two young children all in a back room of the house. There was also an animal within, a pet dog sleeping at the foot of the bed. It stirred, perhaps sensing his presence, but did not bark or move from it's place, only listened in interest.

Dirus stopped at the pet and then withdrew not wishing it to wake anyone up. He would need to wait until morning, he would take to the sky now and he would seek to patrol over head looking for anyone and anything moving in the city below him. He knew that this would be the time the killer might take to clean up loose ends if they knew he was now here which would help him if they come to know and did try something. If nothing happened down below, he would only be left flying up there keeping watch until morning.

The rest of the night passed uneventfully, with only the patrolling guards moving about the streets. Some of them took note of the figure flying over head, but word had already spread from the barracks to inform them of Dirus' presence and purpose in the city. Just before dawn the city began to show signs of waking. The guards changed shift, the fishermen headed for their favored spots along the river, and soon all other occupations began to open shop and go to work as day's first light bathed the town in warmth.

A small group of adolescent boys gathered by the northern bridge, laughing at their own jokes, sharing breakfast, and just generally loitering. There were five of them in all -- four human and an elf. A couple of them sat just beneath the bridge, where there was a small strip of dry ground before the river bank sloped down into the water, while the rest stood around just outside of it. One of those standing wore a sleeveless tunic, and a long scar could be seen cutting across his upper arm. The boys were all wrapped up in their own conversations, paying little attention to the world around them.

Inya woke soon after dawn. Her sleep had been restful, lacking any memorable dreams or disturbances. At some point she was aware of Zultharus' continued presence in the room, but she'd had no reason to fear him before and so had drifted immediately back to sleep without speaking to him, for she was still so worn out by the events of the past few days, sleeping was all that mattered at the time. Now that she was awake again, she was sorry to find herself alone in the room. Even Dirus' company would be welcome, she wondered what he had accomplished during the night. No doubt he had dispatched the killer, or was hot on their trail, for she found it hard to imagine anyone avoiding his wrath for long. The memory of the witches' bloodied corpses flashed through her mind, and she shuddered. To chase the thoughts away again, she set to work getting ready for the day: washing her face, plaiting her hair, and changing into the spare clothes her brother had packed for her. As she smoothed out the wrinkles in her clothing, she sighed in satisfaction. She felt better than she had in days, all fresh and well rested. It might not be exactly safe for her in this town, but surely there could be no harm in venturing downstairs, right? And so she left the bedroom and headed for the stairs, passing by the street performers in the hall, who seemed to be in a heated discussion about something, but Inya didn't listen in on what. That would be rude!

Dirus felt not even the slightest niggle of tiredness from the past days events nor the entire night of flying, he swooped down to the ground as the city had started to come to life. He took the shape of a man once more, losing the intimidating shape of his Kuldari form, an illusion also hid the armor and and weapons from being seen. He moved about the river and docks in search of the boy, seeing if he would be dedicated or slack to his duties. He watched the many fishermen and any other occupants of the area with detached interest. It wasn't until Zultharus had informed him of a boy with a scar being at the bridge that he abandoned his post. Now on move to the bridge, when he came into sight he reached across telepathically to Zultharus. 'Find Inya and ghost her.' When he came to the bridge he did away with the guise, taking the form of the Kuldari once again, armor and all. His gaze settled on the boy with the scar and striding to him. "Human, I have questions for you about the events that befell you and gifted you the scar on your arm."

Zultharus rolled his eyes at Dirus as he made his introduction to the adolescents, turning from the scene and heading back toward the Inn. Entering its door with little notice to anything else he went to ascend the stairs before almost smacking into poor Inya. 'Remain close by me little one.' he immediately moved past her how ever and went to listen into the performers heated discussion.

Confronted with the abrupt sight of a fully-armored Kuldari stomping into their area and making stern demands of them, the five friends reacted in shock. The two beneath the bridge ducked further under it, peeking cautiously out through the wooden supports. The elf and other human boy scrambled up onto the bridge, hopping the railing. All four shouted words of alarm, distrust, or defense.

"Watch it!"

"What's he doing here?"

"We didn't do anything!"

For the most part, these reactions were to his appearance alone, most hadn't heard what he asked. The scarred one, however, only took a step back to stay out of arm's reach, but otherwise held his ground. His eyes wandered up and down the Kuldari's figure, sizing him up. With brows furrowed, and the sort of defiant scowl most teens wear on default, he inclined his head a bit and said, "What questions?"

Inya grinned in greeting to Zultharus, and was about to give him a cheery 'good morning,' and probably launch into conversation. The words died before reaching her lips, though, as he promptly brushed past her and seemed to have other things on his mind. "Right..." She muttered to his command. "Wasn't planning on going anywhere, anyway." With a shrug, she made her way to the counter and sat on a bar-stool, somewhat dejectedly. The innkeeper's wife came by to offer a complimentary breakfast, which brightened her disposition again.

At the top of the stairs, the conversation was winding down and they spoke mostly in hushed tones, having done the bulk of their bickering within the privacy of their rooms. Ranath was clearly still agitated. "Fine, whatever, I don't care if you work with these Paladin people, but no more secrets between us, understand?" he grumbled. "Whatever you find out with them, any leads on Yonge's killer especially, you bring that info straight to me. We have a contract to fulfill." With a sigh, he started down the stairs. "I'm going to see the client. We'll all meet up in the square at noon to report, and perform the usual set."

Zul'Tharus sensing Inya's sullen mood. 'Worry not, little one. Merely just have to sort out these performers and then we can go about the city looking at stuff.' Zul'Tharus attention switched squarely on the apparently now mercenary witch hunters, stomping his heel twice to get their attention 'Apologizes, but your client will need to wait until a later time, it appears you all have some even further explaining to do. Justice will not be yours to dispense nor the contract give any justification to obstruction of Paladin business." Zul'Tharus' vision and now telepathy fixed upon Tahn alone 'Proceed to the north bridge, Ascendant Dirus will be there talking to some leads.' Then his attention turned squarely on the big grumbler. 'Seeing as you wish to keep further secrets, I will be accompanying you to your client along with a charge of mine. If you find this unfavorable, your continued existence within these walls will be rendered unwelcome locals and foreign powers.' His voice within their minds merely being a neutral toned.

Dirus would look to the boys arm and motioned to it. "I seek information pertaining on the one who gave you that, I am here to subjugate the unlawful killing here done by someone either of the dark arts or trying to frame or appear as one who uses the dark arts. I come to dispense justice on the one who killed your friend. Would you like to help me in this cause?"

Inya, blissfully unaware of the tension going on behind her, happily began to chow down on the breakfast set in front of her. How long had it been since her last hot meal, she wondered. It seemed like ages. She glanced over her shoulder, curious about what business Zul'Tharus had with the performers. What an odd sight to behold, the five of them staring at each other but so far saying nothing. She knew this was because Zul'Tharus must be speaking to their minds, but it was still an amusing thing to see. She looked back at her food and gave a soft chuckle, despite herself. Life has become so odd.

Meanwhile, Ranath rolled his eyes when he first spotted Zul'Tharus at the foot of the stairs. He and the others stiffened as the telepathic words entered their heads, still unused to that power. Ranath finished his descending of the steps and stood before Zul'Tharus, arms folded across his chest. In a low voice, he said, "I don't see why Paladin business should be getting in the way of our business. We were hired to come sort this mess out, one that's been happening for over two years now. Where were you lot when all this started? Why should I let you get in the way of my payday, when we've been here working on it for days now. You turn up out of nowhere and think you can tell me what to do?" He kept his voice level and quiet, not wanting to draw the attention of others present in the inn.

Chessa came to stand by Ranath's side, but said nothing yet. Samoc wandered over to find something to eat, shaking his head at his brother's stubbornness. Tahn slipped down the stairs and started for the door. He was not one for confrontation, and didn't much care how Ranath chose to handle the situation. He was more concerned about seeing an end to the murders no matter what. As he passed by Inya he staggered and stopped. With a hand to his head, he blinked for a moment as if having trouble with his eyesight, then glanced over at the girl, frowning. However, whatever had troubled him he shook it off and continued for the exit. Inya was unaware of any of this.

At the bridge, the boys all looked at Dirus for a moment, trying to digest the words he delivered in such an official manner. "What's he talking about?" The youngest boy whispered to the one beside him.

"Arun, I think." the other answered.

Orrin turned his arm to look at the scar for himself. "You gonna kill the guy who killed Arun and the others? I didn't see his face." He tilted his head, squinting up at the taller man as something else he'd said occurred to him. "So, you're not like the other people who ask questions. You don't assume he was using magic, like they all do? Because he never used any that I seen. Just a sword, a bloody sharp one at that." Now his gaze fell to the ground. "He just came up to us that night, out of nowhere, grabbed Arun by the shoulder and put a sword through him. The others ran, but I went to shove the guy, get him away from Arun and all... That's how this happened. I thought he would kill me too, but he ran away right after."

Zultharus shook his head at the four. 'For days, weeks or months, it would make no difference. The fate of the person committing these crimes must be dealt with in a certain way, not killing someone with only self-surety and calling it a good days work. We do not have ears and eyes everywhere as you might be lead to believe, when something arises to our attention is when we act on it and it is of no consequence onto the sanctity of the Ascendant. There is no reason for me to be in the way of your payday, but I know Dirus well enough that interference or corruption of his hunts integrity is not something he would tolerate. So please, lead me on to your client and you can meet with Dirus after it." He stood there for a fraction of a moment before fixing on the female of the group solely speaking telepathically to her.. "No matter the price, Dirus' is a dictator and leader of the Paladins. He will allow infractions until a point but dislikes unexpected variables. I suggest you speak with him as you are a voice of reason. Your husband and him would only come to but heads."

Dirus looked at the boy and nodded. "I have no unobtainable expectations here, merely I wish to know what information you can give me. All I need from you is any distinctions you can give me, pertaining either to himself or his sword. You have already provided a great help in identifying the gender of one assailant as well as him having targets and not killing those not needed to. I do not currently know if I will kill him or make an example of him, circumstances will provide the answer. A truth to be known in the future, Dark or Light magic matters not, the person is the person all the same." He raised his hands to show both Shadow and Light magic at once. "I am not here to punish the innocent no matter of what nature gifted upon to them."

Ranath rolled his eyes, and turned away as Zultharus finished 'speaking.' Despite the tension in his body language, he relented with a sigh. "Fine, come along then. I'm late as it is and talking to you is obviously a waste of time." He started walking away, unwilling to delay further, while muttering about "eavesdropping and invading my head, interrupting my business..." He finished with a curse word or two under his breath as he passed through the inn's front door.

Chessa gave a bit of a shrug and an apologetic smile in response to Zultharus' words. "I'll see what I can do, but I can't exactly say I disagree with him. It's a hard thing to accept when a couple of blokes stroll in and start acting like they own the place." She pursed her lips for a moment and gave him a sidelong glance. "But since we've no choice in the matter, I suppose its better to be pleasant. Best you catch up to him, though. I doubt he'll wait."

Orrin scrunched his nose in contemplation, attempting to digest the extensive vocabulary and confusing concepts Dirus was presenting him. He eyed the flagrant display of dark magic with brows raised in mild alarm, more surprised that this man would dare to manipulate shadows out in public in broad daylight. "Right... um, the sword... Didn't get a good look at it, of course. But it was nice. Nicer than the ones the guards have, at least. The guy was tall, all cloaked in dark clothing, even his face was covered. There's really not much else to tell..."

Zultharus would give a nod to the woman. "Niceties are often discarded in the sake of the amount of time we have been doing this. I would call it more arrogance as to how we are acting, I can assure you that he only wishes to do this and continue on with our prior objective." He then turned to 'talk' to Inya. "Come along please Inya, just need to check something out with these professors clients and then we can go about seeing the sights of the city if you would like that." He would seek to follow the man so he would not lose him and hoped Inya would come along swiftly, hot meals would need to wait.

Dirus nodded. "If I get the sword and show it to you, would you recognize it?" He didn't like how this sounded and was more looking towards the nobles as to being one who did this, one being a very helpful lord in particular. Some things had failed to add up in his mind concerning the investigators book and the killings.

Inya had managed to take in a few bites when Zultharus' request reached her mind. She pouted longingly at the plate, but could tell by his tone and the way he rushed out the door that she didn't have time to mourn. With a quick 'thank you' to the innkeeper's wife, she turned and slid off the bar-stool. As she did, the plate crashed to the floor, shattering on impact. She jumped back from the shards, stuttering apologies and a comment about her clumsiness, but ducked out of the inn as soon as she could. She searched for Zultharus immediately as a knot formed in the pit of her stomach. She knew she had not knocked the plate off, no part of her made contact with it as she moved from the counter. Yet there was a certainty that she was the cause, this wasn't the first time this had happened after all -- unintentionally drawing objects by moving their shadows.

To his credit, Ranath was waiting outside, although several paces from the inn. He stood in the square, talking to a merchant. His whole demeanor was different from what it'd been inside, he stood relaxed and open, grinning in a friendly manner while enjoying pleasant small talk with the other man. He glanced toward Zultharus and excused himself from the merchant, motioning Zultharus over with a wave, though taking steps to close the distance himself. "Alright, lets-.. Who's this?" He was speaking of Inya, who stumbled up to Zultharus' side.

"Oh, um, hello. I'm Inya and... I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing here?" She glanced to Zultharus, and then back at the inn self-consciously.

Orrin frowned and shrugged. "I guess... maybe? It was night, the guy moved quick, and that was two years ago." He shrugged again, and glanced back at his friends, some of whom had approached again now that they'd had time to recover from Dirus' startling appearance. "Any of you remember anything else about the killer?" Unfortunately, they all shook their heads or shrugged. Orrin turned to Dirus again. "Anything else? I've gotta get to work..."

Zultharus looked to Inya with a soft smile to her blubbering before turning his gaze squarely on Ranath. "Charge of the Paladins and the reason we were coming through this way, for now she is the ascendants companion while on the road - Inya, it would be best you observe what will happen." Zultharus did not like him talking with the merchant and supposed that some form or another that it would have a purpose at a later time.

Dirus nodded to the boy. "Tell your master craftsman that I detained you for this time. I am sure he will be lenient, if not then I will seek to talk to him." He looked to the other kids who were at the bridge and was pleased to see they had worked up the courage to approach him. "I need any information on the killer, any details that can be shared so I might narrow it down to one person or even just a few in this city."

On the contrary, Ranath seemed quite friendly with many locals as they passed through town, greeting them by name with a charming smile. He never stopped to chat though, making his way swiftly through town. He didn't bother to check if Zultharus and Inya were still with him, assuming they'd keep up. The buildings they passed grew larger and more ornate, until at last they'd reached the part of town where the most affluent citizens resided. Ranath turned down a side alley along one estate, coming to the servant's entrance on the side rather than the front doors. He knocked, and while they waited for an answer he looked to Zultharus. "This is the Yonge family manor. The former patriarch, Gerard Yonge, was the latest victim of murder, before that drunk who was killed the other night. His eldest son, who of course inherited the estate, hired us to find the killer. He'll be wanting a progress report."

A servant answered the door and let them inside, leading them to a sitting room to wait. Inya stared in awe at the expensive, elaborate decor. She'd already been impressed by the size of the place from the outside, but inside was a marvel that boggled the mind. "Why would anyone need so much space? Or so many things?" She admired a decorative vase sitting alone atop a finely-carved table, but wondered about it's purpose. She kept her distance, however, inwardly terrified of breaking something.

Orrin nodded. "Well, good luck. I hope you catch them. Arun had a knack for getting into trouble, but he didn't deserve to go like that." He stared out at the river for a moment in solemn reflection. Then he waved to his friends and jogged off to work.

The other boys glanced at each other in uncertainty. It seemed Orrin was a leader of sorts, and now they weren't sure what to do with themselves. With awkward apologies for their lack of knowledge, most of them began to slink off. The elf remained, however, and spoke up at last when his friends were out of earshot, "There isn't much to tell. No one sees the killer come or go, except in Arun's case I think, and the rest of us were too... cowardly to hang around when it happened." He admits with some shame and bitterness to his voice. "The guards are always quick to blame witches, and they hung that baker -- Harte -- for Arun's death. I don't know if it was him, or if it had anything to do with dark magic but..." His eyes darted around for a moment, and he lowered his voice to almost a whisper, "The guard aren't meant to know this... Most people don't in fact... There's a cooper in the east corner of town. Helps people with dark magic problems. If the killings are happening by or for dark magic, he might know something about it."

Zultharus inclined his head and watched Reneth the entire time they walked, still he couldn't help but be suspicious. "A fact you might have been better off to share with Dirus." He looked across to Inya with a soundless chuckle. "Nothing but status, to many the grander the estate the greater the power of the person." His attention turned over the room and then to Reneth. "This would be beneficial for us in either regard, one of the families Dirus was seeking to visit to gain knowledge of the murders." Zultharus moved to sit on the couch and merely wait keeping an eye on Inya as she simply looked about. "Why does he feel the need to hire people to look for the killer, does he not trust the Lord of the Law here?"

Dirus inclined his head. "Then I will head there, thank you and be assured that either way when I leave here the killer will no longer be within these walls." He lingered for the boy to say his goodbye if he chose to do so before being off on his way. His form reducing to that of the four legged form he favored heading throughout mostly unnoticed being mistaken for a dog or something of the sought, so he hoped. When within a secluded corner he took on the guise of a simple worker man, a Hunter from the forest. A cloak across his back as well as a non-physical bow and other such small details to make his form believable. He headed for the cooper after taking some time to properly find it along with some direction. Dirus would enter the work mans shop, looking around for any customers before heading to the cooper himself. "I was wondering good sir, if you would have a moment."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back