• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Tala Tales: The Demon Pact

Dirus watched Inya as she threaded about, not losing sight of her for more than a second. As she started to approach him he didn't seek to haggle her on what had her demeanor shift and instead would seek to lead her towards their allocated room, typically one that was only used for singular people. Dirus stood at the window, overlooking the square and at the guillotine. He found it odd how those who passed on the sentence of death was never the one to take the said life. To him it seemed contradicting, and those who ordered the death without actually taking the life seemed to fall prey to taking it more easily each time. "Sleep, Tomorrow we have things to do."

Inya looked around the little room, and at the single bed. It hadn't occurred to her until then, having not heard his exchange with the inn keeper, that he didn't intend to sleep, and possibly hadn't done so the previous night either. Didn't Kuldari sleep at all? She wondered as she tucked her bag of few possessions beneath the bed and sat down upon it. "Things? You mean other than traveling?" She asked whilst unraveling the braid in her hair. "... I assumed we'd be leaving right away." For some reason she seemed less eager about the city than she had upon arrival.

He shook his head. "I do not know how long it is from here to the Bastion by foot. I flew here, I fly every where. I do not have as much need for upkeep as you - sleeping, food, water. We need supplies for the horse too and maybe a weapon for you." He turned toward her his arms folded. "And we will need to train you in your shadows, nothing worse then having a person with power who doesn't know its capabilities or extent. Was the city as good as you imagined it?"

He made some good points, and she nodded her understanding of them. To his question, she hesitated, staring at the floor and idly twisting her hair. "I'm sure it's a very nice city, for normal folk. But maybe not such a great place for me... or someone like me." She sighed. "I guess there've been a lot of strange deaths over the past few years. Ritualistic killings, it sounds like, and a group of dark mages are the suspects." She shifted uncomfortably in her seat, glancing toward the window by which he stood. "They've already hung a handful of witches, but the murders haven't fully stopped and I... well, like you said, I don't exactly have a handle on this shadow-magic stuff. I'd rather not out myself and get blamed for things I haven't done... again."

He only ushered a gentle sigh to her words. He didn't turn to her but he knew she would dread what he would come to say and he guessed she knew it was coming. "Once we are prepared, we aren't leaving. If there is Magic being abused here, I will root it out. Even in the light, there is shadows and even in the dark there is light for otherwise one cannot see. I doubt it was dark mage's they hanged, but innocents. Fear, is an ugly thing in the minds of people who imagine themselves in charge." He took an inhale of breath, he shook his head softly as he then moved to stand by the door. "Stay here and rest, you'll but get in the way of me here." It was said bluntly and he presumed it might smart, but the truth was the truth.

Inya only nodded, inclined to agree with him in this case. For now she felt she'd spend their whole stay in Heton locked up in that inn room, rather than risk an accidental use of dark magic in a public place. As he left, she laid down and curled up on the bed, reflecting on his words about fear and those with authority. She wondered if Dirus feared anything.

Back down in the main room of the inn -- where guests could eat and socialize -- the innkeeper and his wife were cleaning up for the evening. The trio of street performers were seated at a table in the corner. One of them, a woman with dark, curly hair, had the day's earning spread out across the table, and was counting and sorting the coins into neat piles. The other two of the group were men of an athletic build, possibly brothers judging by the subtle similarities in their features. They seemed to be debating something, but had just finished as Dirus entered the room. The larger and older of the two kept glancing at the door with an agitated expression, as if expecting something to happen.

The innkeeper's wife, who was sweeping the floor and stood nearest to Dirus, looked up as he entered and gave a courteous smile. "Can I help you with anything?"

Dirus had paused just outside the room, he had scratched a protective ward at the window sill of the room Inya was in and did the same to the door - anyone breaking in would be bet with a shadowy mist, just as before there was also a light version that would take up the duty when dusk came. When he progressed down stairs he came up to the innkeepers wife, his gaze going toward the performers curiously and mostly to the one with the current ill-temperament. He spoke in soft tones so only she could hear and with a friendly smile. "There are some things I would like to ask about, like the recent murders. But I would like to ask of this in private at a later stage." He took a gold coin from a pouch and handed it to her, an intensive. He had no doubt she would be one of the better people to ask information from before he started to head over to the trio.

"A commendable performance." He commented to the trio seeking to draw their attention and put three silvers onto the table as belated appreciation for their arts. In truth he had never truly watched them but he wished to see if any might feel inclined to answer him after providing compliment and coin. His gaze turned to the larger of the two males with a head cocked to the side. "What are you brooding over my friend?"

Mentally on another note, he telepathically communicated with a friend who he was sure was tailing him, he was an assigned servant although Dirus often took to the pressure of trying to ditch the guy. 'Henton, bring my armor and weapons of the Order, trouble here and I have little doubt I will be needing them at a latter point.' He knew it would take a while for him to get here, though he could fly himself and held little doubt he had been cleaning up the grotto in his wake. There was guilt in thinking back to the man he was calling on, having sworn fealty and servitude despite Dirus' wish for him not to.

He shook his head and glanced towards the door and then t he windows to see if there was anything to be noticed at either point, if there was an ambush or not. He looked back toward the trio and just as he had done with Inya's grandmother he sought to see if any of them had magical inclinations. Just as he did this his mind also turned to other possibilities beyond what was obvious such as those who would seek to frame dark-magic users, it was something he had once encountered in the past and had vexed him when he had suspected the wrong people.

The innkeeper's wife raised her brows in surprise, but discreetly accepted the coin with a nod of understanding. She resumed her sweeping while Dirus approached the performers. They all looked up at him from their chairs as he complimented them and set the money on the table.

The woman grinned in a friendly manner and swept the three silvers into the pile of the rest of their earnings. "Thank you kindly, stranger." She said with a wink. She was a woman blessed with beauty -- by current mortal standards -- however, not all of her image was completely true. He would sense a strong light magic ability within her, actively being used to apply a minor illusion upon herself. Her flawless skin, dazzling smile, and hair without a strand out of place were all thanks to the glamour. There seemed to be potential for more than just illusion magic, perhaps protective or healing skill as well, though no summoning; her connection to the ether wasn't strong enough for that.

The men had no magic to speak of, at least nothing strong enough to be used. However, all three possessed a few enchanted items somewhere on their persons. The most notable of which provided some level of protection against dark magic, each of them wearing something with this enchantment on it.

The larger of the men looked at Dirus with a frown, a bit put off by what he took as a somewhat intrusive question. Quickly he sized him up, eyes briefly lingering on the Paladin Order insignia Dirus wore. He looked to the door again as he answered. "Our other companion is late turning in. I'm just wondering what's keeping him. So, what brings a Paladin to this town?"

Dirus winked back at the woman, seeking to give her the attention she wanted despite it not being genuine. He had guessed that she was use to it and seemed vain enough to use her magic for cosmetic purposes. "Passing through, beyond that I am sure you will not want the gorey details." He looked to the woman to see if this had diminished her friendly manner to him, he looked at her with a knowing eye and even lofted a brow as he looked her over. He wished her to know he knew she was capable of magic.

"This friend that is running late, tell me about him. I know as a tight knit group you'd be reluctant to share such. Its hard to unlatch from a pit-bull when its locked its jaw." Less of a warning and more as an incentive as he too looked toward the door. "With what you just said, I know you are quite well acquaint with magic and I suppose Paladins. Is there anything I should know about recent events in this town before I start heading off?"

He moved around the table to the part where he was behind the woman briefly before taking the fourth seat that was meant for their missing companion. He opened his shadow sense to try detect those within a small vicinity of the Inn as well as if there was any notes of extinguished life. Just as he was doing this a figure moved into the Inn, ignoring the Innkeepers wife and moved to stand near Dirus. He held a rather large bag with Dirus' equipment in it. He didn't seek to speak but that was because he Telepathically communicated with that who its alligence was bound to,

'Tracking a ghost has taught me multiple things, the human has exposed you to me.' Zultharus said with a toneless voice, being more informative as to how he had gotten there so fast. 'Are you going to kill these three?' Being a extended companion, even if unwanted to Dirus had provided some insight into his mannerisms. This talk was about sizing the trio up as he chose them as his first suspects to investigate. Dirus waved a hand to the stairs where Zultharus headed towards and disappeared up to where Inya was.

When the larger man mentioned Dirus' Paladin nature, the other two appeared a bit surprised and the younger man rolled his eyes as if somehow frustrated by this development. The woman interpreted Dirus' pointed look a bit differently than intended, and started mentally strengthening her glamour, thinking it must be weakening or a bit off somehow. While she did this, she chose to answer his first question, since the elder of the men was still a bit grumpy by the intrusion. "Ranath is just being impatient. Our absent friend, Tahn, has been troubled lately, and he's really not running that late."

The younger man looked puzzled after his second question. "So... wait, you aren't here about the-"

The elder brother -- Ranath -- promptly cut him off with a light smack up the back of his head. "Of course he is, Samoc, he's probing for information." He folded his arms and fixed Dirus with a look of mild irritation, though so far that seemed to be his default look, at least tonight. "When you travel the world, as we do, you tend to learn quite a bit about magic and those who make use of it. So, word of this town's troubles have reached the Bastion? Or did you only happen upon it?"

The trio eyed Zultharus with curiosity and confusion, but mainly assumed by their interaction that he must be another Paladin accompanying Dirus. And besides, he was gone again before they could do much to question that theory.

He gave a slight shrug. "More happen upon it, I was beyond this town nearby for different reasons." He frowned at their looks of confusion. "What? Is there blood on my face?" He asked in genuine concern. He had caught the girls strengthening of magic and frowned at this and focused on her his brows furrowing. "Now, why do you strengthen your illusion?" The tone that dominated this question was curiosity and even some accusation. "Also, I would like to know what magical ability Tahn has if any at all."

He looked towards Ranath. "I am sure those who are the smarter would know what it means to lie and what happens when it comes to be unproven, I will be awaiting here with you three until your friend shows up. As for your question about the Bastion, I doubt that the cities or kingdoms dislike our involvement and less so when an ascendant comes around." He looked at the three of them, at least to allow them the knowledge of who they dealt with. Ascendants were the top tier elite warrior castes of the Paladins, as it stood they barely had to answer to the Paladin Council as they were in respects inquisitors to both the inner and exterior workings.

Zultharus opened the door to Inya's room moving in without pause and shutting the door behind him. It was on this that he would see Dirus latest 'companion' and he felt a residual feeling of pitty for her. He went to work setting up his armor on the table as well as placing his weapons near by for mounting. The armor wasn't extravagant and hardly heavy armor but a mixture of plate and leather in a blackish shade. To those of the Paladin Order it marked him distinctly as their awol leader. They had likely replaced him, he didn't seem to be capable of perceiving time accurately.

The woman stiffened, called out on her glamour, and was left feeling a bit insulted. Vain women rarely appreciate having their flaws pointed out. "Tahn's a fortune teller." She said, curtly, her friendly demeanor quite diminished.

Ranath shrugged, pretending not to care any longer, even despite the info that this was an ascendant. He began scooping their earnings into a lether coin purse. "You're welcome to wait until he arrives, if he ever does. But it's been a long day for us, and we've another busy one ahead of us, so we'll not be lingering here much longer. Any more questions?"

Upstairs in her room, Inya was just about to drift off to sleep when the sound of the door pulled her from it. She had been laying so that her back was to the doorway, and assumed it was Dirus who had entered, since she hadn't considered anyone else would walk in so brazenly. And so she was quite startled when she turned around to find some stranger nonchalantly setting up armor in the room. She let out a yelp of surprise, and backed up against the wall. "What- who are you?"

Dirus shrugged and shook his head. "Less of a question and more of a request. Sit, drinks are on me. Lets wait for your friend, I am quite sure you would rather entertain my curiosity than my suspicion?" He turned his gaze toward the woman. and shook his head at her diminished demeanor. "While looks do help with your line of work, those who truly appreciate your performance will not care on the perfection of your appearance. You are naturally aesthetically pleasing. When you come to dwell on it, you will come to understand this, those who say you are beautiful without the mask will hold more worth then those who say you are beautiful with the mask."

He looked up to Ranath."There are strange killings going on in the city, but you seem agitated instead of concerned that he hasn't showed up, can you enlighten me as to why that is - I also suspect what you meant by a busy day ahead of you is that you would be now skipping town. I suggest you stick around in town least I have to come hunting for you." His gaze turned to the woman. "I will ask nicely that you stay so we might talk even if the other two head off. you have a better head on your shoulders in this situation then either of your companions. Will you do the right thing?"

Zultharus looked across to Inya once as she yelped. His voice spoke within her head. 'Calm yourself little one, you needn't worry of my intrusion. There will be more of this within the future. I am Zultharus, A servant to Dirus, I merely am carry things he might need as he is but a nomad. An easier service than others I have done." He went back to his task. When it was all set up he would leave the bag off to the side and turned for the door. He stopped to look down at Inya and frowned. "He will not let people harm you if that is what you worry about here."

The three performers exchanged glances, mostly looking to Ranath for what direction he'd take things from there. The woman, who had warmed up again thanks to his compliments, nudged Ranath and put a hand affectionately on his arm. He rolled his eyes, sighed, and looped his arm around her shoulder. "Alright, we'll stay for a drink. But just one," he emphasized, brows furrowed. "Because, for the record, we aren't skipping town in the morning, but have a full day of performing planned." He settled back in his seat, having resigned himself to see this unwanted interaction through.

"I'm Chessa, by the way." The woman said as she leaned into Ranath's side. "This big grump is my husband, and Samoc there is his brother. Tahn's not a relative, just a friend who joined our group a couple years ago."

"And he can take care of himself, which is why I'm not concerned." Ranath explained. "If he were in any trouble, he'd have seen it coming."

Meanwhile, Inya shifted a little beneath Zultharus' gaze, unaccustomed to having thoughts put in her head like that, having only experienced it once before -- from Dirus the previous morning. She watched him work, nodded to his assurance of her safety, but as he made to leave she could not restrain her curiosity. "Are you like him, then? A, um... shape-changer? A Kuldari?" She whispered the last word, as if it were a great secret and anyone might be listening.

Dirus nodded and motioned to the seat. "Dirus. You have to understand that in these predicaments, I have to bare question to everyone. There have been times I have had to kill those I had mentored, so my scrutiny is not by purpose. If it is true that he is a fortune teller and would see trouble coming, it does beg to the question as to why he is not here. As you can imagine, when one of mine show up. It normally puts people on edge being the last time the world heard of ascendants, at least those with ears open was when we put Bastion to siege."

He turned his gaze toward the door. "Please answer this honestly, where you here when the killings started if so, could it be he would have a hand in it?" He knew that people could hide among others living a complete lie but others believing that they were good people. "If he does not come tonight, I will come visit your preformance on the morrow where I will be looking for him, if he is not there then I suspect he saw trouble coming. That I hope you understand, that and that I am not ignorant." He held up his hands showing light and dark magic on each hand before it dispersed.

Zultharus smiled softly and shook his head. "Neither, I draw the ability for shape-shifting from him but I am not a Kuldari no, I am a mystic. A race of telepath's with exceptionally long lives. I doubt I would ever be like him." He stood there for a moment, everything about him seemed welcoming. "Dirus is far less hostile then he appears. Just watch and take note."

Samoc chuckled, "Tahn, have a hand in it?" He shook his head, finding the notion quite amusing.

Ranath smirked as well, but shook his head. "It'd be difficult for him to be involved, considering the killings started two years ago, and we've only been in town a handful of days. I'd be out there looking for him, but we had a bit of a falling out this morning, and he needed some space."

With a sad frown, Chessa leaned toward Dirus, "Tahn became fast friends with this woman he met our first day here. Unfortunately, she... is the same girl who was hung for witchcraft this morning. He didn't know her very well, and his magic doesn't tell him everything. So there's been some debate as to whether or not he was wrong about her, and her innocence." She sighed. "It's a sad situation either way, poor Tahn might've had real feelings for this girl, had he had the chance."

"It doesn't matter." Ranath said, with an air of impatience. Clearly they'd had this conversation a few times already. "Supposedly, she was found guilty of the latest murder -- her own uncle -- and she's gone now either way, he'll have to get over it."

Samoc cleared his throat and motioned for the entrance to the inn, where the door had just swung open and a man entered. He was of more thin and wiry build than the other two men, with a paler complexion and a sullen, weary look about him. He almost walked right past the group at their table, until Chessa waved him over. Tahn approached, eyeing Dirus with curiosity.

"Have you worked for Dirus for a long time?" Inya asked of Zultharus, gradually becoming less uncomfortable by his unexpected presence. She'd never heard of 'mystics', but then again neither had she heard of shape-shifting or telepathy or Kuldari that fight evil. She was learning a lot of new things, lately. She scooted to the edge of the bed and let her legs dangle off the side. "I'm Inya, by the way. He saved me from some witches and now we're going to the..." what was it called "the Bastion... to see if I ought to join them there."

Dirus sighed. "I very much doubt that the same girl is the one who did the murders. You'll not hang a magic user so easily. I heard these killings be ritualistic in nature and as to that point, even in the light there is a shadow." He glanced at Tahn and then toward the others. "They tell me you are a fortune teller, if so then tell me about what I have done just a few days prior." He moved a hand to gentle pat his insignia. "And identify my race if you will. If you guess correct we will talk longer, if not then I have a killer to look for."

He chuckled and pulled up a seat. "For a long time yes, but I spend most of my time trying to find him, my servitude to him was not something he exactly took a liking to." He lent back and looked her over a moment. "My name is Zul'Tharus, I know about the witches. If he hadn't picked you up I wouldn't have been this close to him. The Bastion is a good place, strict in some regards while free in others. A place of expectations." He said the last part softly and sadly.

Tahn shook his head a little. "They say the killings are ritualistic, but in my opinion, that seems just rumor and exaggeration. The murders have elements in common, but there's no certain pattern. They happen at random times of day to random people, at least so it seems. And there's almost always someone to blame, usually a suspected dark mage." His last line held more than a hint of bitterness. He pulled a chair from another table and set it nearby Dirus. "I normally deal in predictions, but I can try for a peek into the past. Those answers are more reliable, anyway." He sighed, and held his hand out, palm up, toward Dirus.

Samoc, always interested in Tahn's skills, spoke up to explain, "He has to read your palm."

"The palm-reading is really more of a gimmick, all for show and theatrics, but I do require some physical contact to perform a reliable divination." Tahn corrected, waiting expectantly for Dirus to comply.

Inya tilted her head to one side, brows furrowed. "Why do you keep serving him if he doesn't want you around?" She instantly regretted her phrasing, as it came out more insensitive than she had intended. She stifled a yawn, knowing she'd be better at conversation after some rest, but not wanting to usher him out now that he'd sat down to chat. He had a much more inviting presence than his master, and she had many questions she'd like to ask.

Dirus inclined his head as he offered his right hand, the one more responsible for taking lives. "Theatrics has its uses, to provide the desired effects - I often use them all the time." He breathed in deeply and shook his head, knowing the bitter well. "Fear is one thing, panic is another. The masses are at panic, the law grasping at straws so much that they are but puppets. The thing with society is that it carries a herd mentality, leaving most no better then sheep. If you wish to avenge her then it will be to find the one responsible. Do you believe it is someone trying to frame those who have dark magic?"

He shrugged softly in thought. "Because if not me, then another, His family requires a servant be assigned to him. I can see you are tired, there will be time in the future where we will talk little Inya." He stood and inclined his head and paused near by the door to give her the chance to say goodbye to him.

Tahn took his offered hand, holding it lightly by the wrist, and stared into his palm as a force of habit while he began to tap into his magical talents. "As of today, that is exactly what I believe. Whether the murderer, or murderers, are dark mages themselves, I don't yet know. But he -- or she, or they -- are certainly exploiting this city's paranoia to cover their tracks. Heton has an extensive history with dark mages, full of misfortune." He sighed and closed his eyes, frowning in concentration, and fell silent for a long moment.

"What do you see?" Samoc urged excitedly.

"A cave... a dwelling of wickedness. A girl crying inside and three..." Tahn flinched and cringed. "Well, there were three witches sleeping, but I see they're dead now, scarcely had the chance to cast a spell." He cracked one eye open to glance at Ranath. "Puts your record to shame, I think." Across the table, Ranath cleared his throat and shifted in his seat, uncomfortably, with a shake of his head. Chessa winced, and Samoc grinned cheekily at his brother. Tahn didn't notice this reaction to his quip, as he immediately returned to his vision. "You wanted me to identify your race too?" He asked with some confusion. "Can't say as I've ever had that request made of me before. Let's see..." His brow furrowed with intense focus, and then a look of perplexity crossed his face. "...Kuldari?"

"You mean, he's Kuldari-born?" Chessa corrected.

Tahn shook his head and released Dirus' hand. "Nope. Full-blooded Kuldari, wings and all, somehow."

"Now that's ridiculous." Ranath scoffed. "He's an Ascendant, he must be fooling your senses." Tahn only shrugged in response.

Inya frowned, hoping she hadn't offended him. "Oh, alright. I... hope we can talk again soon. I'll look forward to it." Something in her tone was the slightest bit pleading, as if to say yes, please don't leave me alone with Dirus for long, I need someone normal to talk to. "Good night, Zultharus." Once he was gone, she again laid down and tried to sleep. It took some time, as she half expected another unannounced intrusion and couldn't stop thinking about the risks of being in a paranoid, superstitious city like this one. As much as she wished to ignore the existence of her magic, she knew Dirus was right. She needed to learn to control it, rather than ignorantly wishing it away.

Dirus inclined his head at Tahn. "Why don't you seek to also tell them as to what the dark ether summon did when it came through." He looked to Ranath and then stood up, a soft shimmer to his back revealed his wings. "It is a Kuldari that started the Paladin, there are a few Kuldari that are within the Order itself." He then turned his gaze toward Tahn. "So, in light of things, Tahn. Will you help me in tracking down the real person responsible, so that innocent life isn't killed just for a pitiful peace of mind - Also you forgot to mention the summon of the head witch I killed."

Zul'Tharus had lived long enough to know the look of concern, his voice speaking in her mind. 'Worry not, Dirus is far more insulting and he does it on purpose. Sleep well and we will meet in the future." He moved out the door gently closing it behind him and moved down stairs, leaning against wall at the base of the stairs and looking across to the three gathered. Dirus never had the best amount of tact when conversing with people, at least not in a group. A voice spoke to the four of them. "With or without assistance, Dirus is the harbinger of trying times. Once he decides to commit to something, you'll have better luck in becoming a god than to remove him from his path."

Tahn scratched his head in thought, giving an awkward sigh. The details had been fuzzy, but he had the gist of it. "Yeah, he uh... stabbed this massive centipede through the head, and the other demon took one look and ran back to the ether, tail between his legs, essentially." While the others digested that piece of info and the new appearance of Dirus' wings, Tahn looked to Dirus and gave a nod. "Certainly, I'll help."

Ranath grunted and rolled his eyes. "Honestly, Tahn, I know you liked the girl but-"

"It's not about my feelings for her, Ran, it's about innocent people dying, both the murder victims and the falsely accused!" Tahn exclaimed, despite Chessa's urging to keep it down while glancing concernedly at the innkeepers. "I knew Anri well enough to be certain she didn't kill her uncle."

Ranath abruptly rose from his seat, placing his palms on the table to lean across it, towering over Tahn by a good few inches as he glared at him. "But did you know she was a witch?"

Tahn narrowed his eyes as he returned the unwavering stare, and answered in a low voice. "I knew she had dark magic, yes. But I sensed-"

"And you failed to tell us. Could be keeping more important information from us, even now. Where were you all day? This evening? And now you're ready to team up with the first stranger," he gestured to Dirus, "who comes along, all for a girl you only knew for a handful of days. A few days, and you've already forgotten the reason we're here."

"He has a point." Samoc commented.

"I have forgotten. The two problems are related." Tahn protested through clenched teeth, but Ranath turned away with a stubborn grunt, refusing to listen.

Ranath was about to walk away, and Chessa was rising from her seat to follow him (though with her mouth open, about to say something), when Zul'Tharus 'spoke' up. The four traveling performers stared in awe or confusion at the silent man across the room. Samoc scratched his ear, and then his head, and said, "Well, that's a bit unsettling. How'd you do that?"

Zultharus looked over the trio and then motioned to Dirus, speaking in their minds once again. 'I draw power from the one I serve, telepathy being one of such things from him. My prior master cut the my tongue out for I spoke at a time that he decided was an inconvenience. Dirus would tell you this though a lot more abruptly. Magic does not determine the person, Chessa could have Dark magic instead of light and be no different then she is now. How one is, is by choice and intent alone." He moved out of their way and moved near Tahn. "Putting question's and distrust on Tahn helps you nought and only creates a wedge between you all. He wish's to do what is morally right to him and he sees Dirus as that end. It is a hard thing to speak of something you know as truth but have everyone else around you be convinced otherwise and then have to watch someone you know is innocent die."

Dirus looked at Zultharus, not surprised but rather because he worked in tandem to give information and what he would say, the servant converting it into more acceptable voicing. Dirus looked to Tahn for a moment and then to the other two. "When a Dark magic user is causing chaos, it is dark magic users we send to take care of them. It is only ignorance that has people believe that light or dark magic make the temperament of the person, I have had to remove people from where they grew up because the people were to stupid to look beyond the lies their ancestors had told them - The only reason there might be more malevolent dark magic users is because its easier to hurt people with the dark than it is with the light."

Ranath clearly did not appreciate what was happening, being told -- in his mind no less -- how he ought to be thinking. He tensed and scowled, until his wife laid a hand on his arm and gave him a gentle look, brows raised in silent entreat. He rolled his eyes and sighed, "I'll sleep on it." With one last frustrated look in Tahn and Dirus' direction, he headed up the stairs.

Chessa followed, but not before flashing an apologetic smile at the rest of them. "He's always grumpier when he's tired." She excused herself and disappeared from the room.

An awkward silence settled between the remaining two of the four travelers. That is, until Samoc cleared his throat and quirked a brow expectantly, "I believe there were to be drinks?"

Tahn looked to Dirus then, resolute as he said, "I doubt I'll be sleeping tonight, so where do you wish to start?"

Dirus looked at Samoc with vague amusement before erupting in a soft chuckle. "Ever hopeful and trusting." He looked toward the Innkeepers wife and moved toward her, his wings disappearing as they had once before. He implied that the Samoc would have some drinks to down and as he then turned back to the man he smiled apologetically. "Things to be done and time is life." He gave a glance to Tahn as he headed for the door, mentally sending a small note to Zultharus. 'Watch over the girl.' Zultharus' response was moving to the stairs

When outside Dirus would then turn to Tahn. "Show me where the uncle died. I need to know the victims and find out if they had anyone they knew in common."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back