• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Tala Tales: The Demon Pact

Dirus rose a brow at Harlow, his anger was apparent as he stepped forward though he made no magical display. "Shadow magic users don't kill by the blade. To investigate you must have knowledge of what you deal with and it is apparent you are ignorant. Dark magic users would have helped you in that field as they aren't wanting another repeat." He hoped he knew who he talked about. "I was suspicious of you being the killer especially since you were so opportunely close to Anri and her executed the next day. Yet I sought more proof and have read your investigators book. A problem you also face is that you seek defense in rumor and hearsay but those are the grounds you took the life of others on. Your people are but superstitious of things they don't understand and there fore think it all harmful. I have gone down to investigate some myself and found a boy who was wounded as he tried to save his friend, one of the victim's. A blade of greater quality than the guards was used and no magic - He let the boy live so the killings have a purpose. Three Nobles I count being killed and signs pointing towards dark users though the method of death being a mundane thing such as a sword. I suggest you bite your tongue of further unwise words and reflect on the events with a more critical and unbiased eye for those runes although not needed had only the capability to ruin the anesthetic's of what they were drawn on. My last question, all of the nobles killed. Tell me as to who they'd receive personally, I suspect that the killer is of the noble caste and without magic. So tell me as to who they might receive in the night or so who holds swords of greater make then your Guard, without raising alarm."

He placed a reassuring hand on her back and rubbed softly. In the end he opted to sit down with her. "Things will get easier." Though he didn't mean her situation but in fact the state of her getting use to such things. "Control will be taught, though we must go out from here and Dirus does know. He will come to us if available." He moved to stand and started to pack their things that was needed and any of Dirus stuff before motioning for her to raise and follow him. He would seek the Horse and then motion for her to get on as he sought to lead her out.

Inya sighed and gave a weak nod. "Everything is so different now. My old life is essentially gone forever, but... a part of me always knew that was a possibility, if my powers were ever discovered. I might even be able to get over that if it weren't for the fact that now I feel like a stranger in my own body. Like something... wild and sinister writhing in a cage, trying to break free." Sullenly, she would follow him in packing things and leaving the inn, though she gave one last longing look at the bed which had only got a single night's use.

Outside, she climbed up on top of the horse as bidden, and urged the animal forward. In the square, people were milling about cheerfully, some watching the trio of performers who had just begun an acrobatic dance. Again, Inya felt a pang of regret over leaving the town so soon, but then she caught sight of an old woman -- one who had been in the general store -- giving her a dirty look from across the square. Inya immediately dropped her gaze, staring at her hands instead. "Leaving is for the best..." she mumbled, mostly to herself.

Lord Harlow's face was red with indignation. He barely allowed Dirus to finish speaking before his own response exploded from the depths of his chest, first as a shout though he quickly regained control of the volume of his voice, "You come here with these baseless accusations against me, when I have done nothing but what's necessary to keep my city and my people safe. You have no more proof against my judgements than I had for them, and yet you expect me to just follow your word blindly because of your Paladin status. Your order are welcome in these lands thanks to your part in the war, but you have no authority over us. I suggest you remember that, or you won't be welcome here any further." He paused to take a breath. "And as for the victims of noble blood, there were only two. And I can't be expected to know who they welcomed into their homes at all hours of the day or night. Not to mention every adult male of noble blood has a sword like what you so vaguely describe. Amelia's father has at least twenty!"

Dirus stood there in silence at the mans rage filled, his voice calm. "You say my accusations are baseless then say you had as much proof as you did for your judgement while claiming I have none?." He shook his head while looking to Tahn. "Authority." He shook his head softly. "Does not exempt you from reckoning. My authority comes at a blade edge and not what others empower me with, something you will do well to be remember." His eyes narrowed on Harlow before looking to his wife if she was still there. He would seek to turn and leave then unless Harlow tried to stop him.

Zultharus would seek to lead her from the town with haste. He lacked the inclination to leave things to chance. "It's the pact, I think we are about to find out what the deal was." He sighed. "Its best we get into the forest as it turns to darkness. Do not worry, soon you will come to a new normalcy."

Harlow made no move to stop him, being fed up with the whole interaction that, in his opinion, was only going in circles anyway. He watched, eyes narrowed and fists clenched, as Dirus left the room, and Tahn followed after an obligatory nod of farewell.

Amellia had remained in the doorway for the duration of the conversation, but stepped out into the hall as things finished. She looked at Dirus now, seemingly a bit on edge due to her husband's current emotional state. "I'll try to make that list for you, but like he said, most noblemen have some combat skill. I'll make note of those with a history for magic... though I have to wonder what that has to do with anything? If the killer possesses no dark magic, as you say, then why do you need a list of those who do?"

"I hope it's very soon rather than not." Inya said with a sigh. She glanced over her shoulder as they passed through the city's wall and reached the outskirts. Only a few scattered houses and barns stood out here, with farm fields and the forest beyond them. "How long do you think it'll take me to learn control? I'd hate to be a hermit forever."

Zul'Tharus gaze held a note of pity as he regarded her. "As long as it takes you, everyone's different and it rely on acceptance than not. I can assure you that it is only the pact that's causing this." He motioned to her, more gesturing the current predicament. "I nor Dirus are teachers and really lack the memory of our first attempts." He led her own, continuing down the road while looking for a forest or unclaimed field for them to camp down, well removed from people.

"For the same reason as to wanting it if I was suspecting them. It will narrow down the list and so would that of those who know combat. Please do not pay favorites in the listing." He hoped more than suspected she knew what he meant. He turned his gaze to Tahn. "Well, I would say that went well. Next we will go to the one you pointed out."

She pouted a little, and with a hint of sarcasm gave a huff. "I suppose you're right. I'll just have to be patient, and work at it." Idly she rubbed the sore area around her pact-mark while she thought about catching that jar back in the store. She felt the tiniest bit triumphant, despite herself, for having kept it from shattering on the ground. As they drew nearer to the forest, she inquired, "If it's not too rude to ask, how old are you and him?"

Amellia nodded obediently. "I'll have a courier bring it to you as soon as I've finished." She then gave a polite curtsy, and excused herself from their presence.

Tahn looked mildly amused over the whole scene, and shook his head a little. "Well enough as it could have, I think. We'll head over to Savill's then?" He led the way back out of the house, giving a pleasant wave to the guards. Then down the street and around the corner to another, somewhat smaller estate with the name 'Savill' engraved above the gates. No guards stood watch here, and the gates were open. There was a gardener weeding in the flowerbeds just inside the courtyard, humming a merry tune. Tahn hung back to follow Dirus' lead from here.

Zultharus seemed to be quiet for awhile, as if he would not answer before finally speaking. "I don't know, I can only remember existing and even then Dirus is far older than I, I suspect he was around with the most earliest of days. Would account for him being all crotchety." He smirked as he let his gaze fall on Inya. "It will not be this hard normally, your mark is acting up.

Dirus took the lead, his gaze fell to the gardener and then to the gate with no guards. He moved near the Gardener and inhaled his scent. With the lack of guards on the house, it seemed very suspicious to him. When he reached the front door he would knock on it and then wait. He wondered as he stood there if he, once this was all done scare some nobles with his visage. He took great pleasure in displeasure those with illusions of grandeur. "Same as we did with Harlow on the first night, touch and see what you can gleam, before and after."

When Zultharus failed to answer for a time, Inya remained quiet as well, blushing a little as she wondered if she had offended him after all. After he responded at last, she only nodded and pondered on the notion. It was a difficult concept to fathom, but at the same time it made an odd sort of sense. "You must have been just about everywhere by now. Do you have a favorite place?" They were well within the trees now, with the city out of view.

As they passed the gardener on the path up to the house, he looked up from his work to give a little nod of greeting, before returning his attention to the weeding and pruning. Tahn stared at the ornate front door. "With Harlow, my opportunity was so rushed I didn't get much. Maybe I should just be candid and tell him a reading could help locate his mother's killer?"

A moment later, the door swung open and they were greeted by a pleasant, but reserved, housekeeper woman. She led them into a large sitting room with an elaborate fireplace, large windows looking out on the backyard, and several options for seating. After asking their names, she headed off to fetch her master for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back