• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Tala Tales: The Demon Pact

Inya took a seat on the couch as well, finding herself conflicted over her pressing curiosity and her concern over any unintentional misuse of her powers. This room was lit only by the daylight spilling in from a single window, which was sufficient under normal circumstances. However, Inya felt goosebumps prickling along her arms as she stared into the darker corners of the room, feelings a bit as if the shadows were pressing in on her. It was unsettling.

To make matters worse, Ranath now stood at the window, his large frame restricting even more light from streaming in. He stared idly out on the grounds outside while he considered Zultharus' questions. "Well, considering I never intended to let Dirus in on our true occupations, it never really came up that we had any connection to the victim's family. But Tahn saw to that last night, so I hear. At this point, if you two have any questions, well, you'll just have to ask." He glanced back at Zultharus. "I can't be expected to anticipate your every thought, nor what you may or may not already know, now can I?"

He turned and leaned against the wall. "As for Lord Harlow... He's not to know about our real reason for being here. To him, we are mere traveling performers, and nothing else. Those are Young Master Yonge's terms. Lord Harlow takes the city's safety very seriously, no doubt about that. But obviously his methods haven't been effective, since people are still dying, so I guess Yonge felt the need to take matters into his own hands... by putting it into ours."

The cooper's workshop was well-stocked with all the tools of the trade. The man himself sat on a work bench, applying the finishing touches to a newly-repaired bucket. He was a short man, balding, but with a pleasant attitude about him, and looked up as Dirus entered the shop. "Ah, hello!" He greeted the 'huntsman' with a friendly smile. "Yes, come in, perfect timing." He stood and strode over, offering to shake hands. "I'm Barrey Cooper, good to meet you, what can I do for you?"

Zultharus shook his head slightly, his gaze shifted squarely on Inya. Rising from his seat he went to place a hand on her shoulder to try give her some reassurance. "Come sit down." These words only spoken to her as he tried to lead her to sit down, Reneth's form now becoming his focus. "We would have clashed at some point and without the current development, I am quite sure Dirus would have sought to remove you from the city." Zultharus closed his eyes, the room starting to illuminate further more then what the window should permit, as he did this he would seek to sense for any shadow meddling, if it was connected to Inya or not. "Should the time arise I am quite sure your fortune teller will put himself at risk believing he is safe by premonition. Its never a solid thing and can shift on the smallest detail."

He shook his hand and looked about the place, most of it being alien in some shape or form. "I am here to see what you know about the occurrences, and I would like you to put word out among the dark and light magic users that its very possibly not a Dark magic user doing this but a man trying to make it look like so - I would also like to know as to what information you would have for me and your opinion of Lord Harlow, I would also like to know who the nobles are that have shown interested in the magic's despite not being one of either path." He looked about but didn't trust to not be here in anything other then a disguise. He was ready to excuse himself at a moments notice if someone came in.

Inya flinched under the sudden contact, having become lost in thought. It was just the distraction she needed, as her connection with the shadows snapped and she felt instant relief, like a weight lifted from her shoulders. She allowed him to lead her to the couch to take a seat, and sat with her hands balled into fists in her lap. His strengthening of the room's light further eased her condition, but still she felt uneasy. The source of her discomfort was solely caused by herself, her own magic acting up unintentionally. Until this morning, she had been far too exhausted for any energy to be spent on magic, but now it seemed she had energy to spare, and was completely unaware of her natural shadow-senses reaching out, making connections. There was an unnatural strength to it, however, almost as if her power had a mind of it's own. For now it was under control...

Ranath may have had something to say about Tahn's confidence in his own magic, but he immediately clamped his mouth shut upon hearing the sound of footsteps approaching down the hall. A man in his late twenties entered the room, quickly closing the door behind himself. He set his gaze on Ranath first, in recognition, and then glanced over the other two present, before looking to Ran again in question. Ranath cleared his throat and stood up straighter. "Sir Yonge. This is Zultharus and Inya, they're... aware of our arrangement, and are here to help. Zultharus is affiliated with the Paladin Order."

Yonge's brows raised and his head inclined both in greeting and recognition. "Oh! Yes, I've heard the rumors this morning, of the Kuldari Paladin conducting investigations. You're with him, then, I assume?" He asked of Zultharus.

The cooper's expression turned from friendly grin to confusion, to down right befuddlement. "Um... come again? I'm sorry, mister. I'm a cooper, this isn't a magic shop. Perhaps you meant to be somewhere else?" He turned back to his work. "And... Of course it's none of my business, but... these are dangerous times to so blatantly speak about dark magic to a stranger, like that. In these parts, many people take offense to the mere mention of it. Those associating with dark magic, or dark mages, often find themselves in unpleasant situations." He glanced back over with a guarded smile. "I'd imagine anyone involved in such things would be very careful who they talk to about it."

Dirus lofted a brow at the cooper, a fraction more disappointed. "Yes, I am aware of others and that predicament. There is no one here and I am the Paladin that arrived this morning. If you would like a show then I can be gone with the guise and appear as the fully armed Paladin others would be looking for cementing others suspicion of connection to the darker arts of things. Lead us else where if you are still paranoid about discovery - Lord Harlow will no longer be killing or subjecting people to execution as I am taking over the investigation, should he try then he and I will have problems." He had followed the cooper as he sought to return to his task at hand.

Zultharus eyed the lord from head to toe wishing to see if the young noble had a sword at his side. "Indeed we came along with the Ascendant, we are curious as to what information you might be able to gleam and as to why your faith in Lord Harlow as become denuded, enough that." He motioned to Reneth. "We have had a few run in's with each other." He looked across to Reneth. "And had a few sharing of fact that might otherwise been left unspoke and have been harmful."

It took the young nobleman a few moments to adjust to Zultharus' unique manner of communication. He carried no sword, and was dressed rather casually. His appearance was slightly unkempt, dark circles under his eyes and his beard in need of a trim. "Ah... well, whatever it takes to stop these culprits. As for Lord Harlow..." Here his voice took a hint of anger, his expression hardened. "That arrogant, pompous twit is nothing but delusions of grandeur and empty promises. He puts on a grand show of charm and charity, but deep down he's a step away from the same callousness his father possessed." He suddenly seemed a bit taken aback by his own words. "Sorry, I shouldn't speak so disrespectfully, now I sound like my father... They failed to see eye to eye on many subjects, which is why I'm certain Lord Harlow cares very little about finding my father's murderer, not for our sakes anyway. If he cares at all, it's only to maintain his illusion of Heton's safe, crime-free streets."

The cooper stared at Dirus for a long moment, considering him. "Now, see, you might have mentioned your identity first, rather than coming in here with all manner of potentially incriminating questions. How is an honest, unsuspecting man supposed to defend himself from a town full of false accusations and paranoids, without a little paranoia himself? That said, I've still not got your name, and in fact I would like to see some form of proof of your identity. I don't think it's much to ask, do you?" His tone was gentle and without sarcasm, his request genuine it seemed.

Zultharus nodded. "I believe some sleep and attention to your appearances need a bit of work." He rubbed at his jaw in motion to the beard growing. Zultharus' attention shifting on Reneth speaking to him alone. "It is theorized the man responsible for this has magic of any sort." Zultharus had shared much of the wealth of information he head acquired in the short time slight compulsions being but Dirus' own intuition sparking at events that did not quite line up as they should. "Who has access to swords of craftsman's ship better then the guard?"

Dirus had to only pause for a moment before a gentle shake of his head gave way to his thought on the mans wish. "Dirus." Despite the reluctance he shifted forms from that of the huntsman and that to his armored Kuldari self, spreading his arms in presentation he bared his gaze down on the man. "Now should someone walk in the door and see me, they might have cause to question why I am here in a simple coopers workshop." He took upon the Huntsman's guise once more. "Now as to my questions?"

The mere mention of sleep triggered Yonge to yawn and wipe at his eyes. "Yes, I've neglected myself a bit, lately. My father's death is still fresh in our minds, it only happened a few months ago, and then after I heard about the latest murder yesterday morning... it kept me up most the night."

While he explained this, and Inya offered her condolences for his loss, Ranath quirked a brow at Zultharus' private inquiry. Quietly he said, "Any noble or otherwise wealthy family in town could possess one... However, Thorald Savill is quite the collector, loves to show his variety of pieces off."

Yonge cleared his throat to call the other men's attention back to himself. "Ranath, I assume you're here to update me on your findings? If you're collaborating with Paladins, I take it you haven't found the killers yet?"

Ranath shook his head. "Not yet, but we've spent our days in town meeting with those who knew the most recent victims, looking for connections." He looked intermittently at Zultharus while he spoke, since this info would interest him as well, having resolved to cooperate for now. "We also met with the undertaker, seems all victims so far died by wounds caused by a blade of some kind. Ah, all but one victim, who was found dead in a prison cell of unknown causes. I'm not entirely convinced her case is related."

"You mean the servant girl?" Yonge asked, frowning and with brows furrowed as he seemed to be pondering something. "...Wasn't she poisoned? My father fell ill after supper one evening, a few weeks before his death. The apothecary who came to treat him suspected it was poison, said he barely survived it."

The cooper seemed satisfied, "Very good, and it's much appreciated, I assure you." He said apologetically. "I can't be too careful about who comes in here asking questions, I'm afraid. Could put many people in danger if my connection to certain matters was discovered by the guard, or any of the more prejudiced members of the community." He sighed, shaking his head as he approached a half-finished barrel and set to work on it. "So, you're here about the murders? I hope you can get to the bottom of this, it's gone on far too long. So many families damaged by that madman... or madwoman I suppose, though I'm inclined to believe it's the former. And you're right about the killer, he -- or she -- is definitely not a dark mage. None of the victims were killed by magic, and the runes etched in to some of the crime scenes are shoddy nonsense. If they were copying a spell from a book or something, it'd at least have some coherence, but this is more like someone found a few random symbols and keeps reusing them without actual intent to cast anything. It's just for show.

"Now, this is just my opinion," He continued, "But I think this is just one person killing for their own reasons, and hoping to put the blame on any unlucky dark mage who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. And it's working, which is the most frustrating part. Beyond that, I don't know much. Whatever the killer lacks in knowledge of magic, he makes up for in skill and stealth. He's only been witnessed once, as far as I know."

He paused to think back on Dirus' other questions. "As for Lord Harlow... I haven't got much ill to say of him. His father was something of a tyrant, and rumor has it even the young lord himself did not escape his late father's wrath. Must have been hard, growing up under such a cold, unforgiving man." He heaved a sigh of sympathy, then shrugged. "So I can't say I blame him for obsessing over what folk think of him. His charm and charity might not be exactly genuine, but he certainly tries to make himself a better leader than his father was. Under his father's rule, I'd not be having this conversation with you so openly, some of my paranoia is left over from that era. They were dark times for this city, when countless innocents were executed for witchcraft, whether they actually had magic or not was rarely considered. On the other hand, the four people who our current Lord Harlow has executed for the murders -- Ralf, Urag, Anri, and the traveling merchant -- all had ties to dark magic, at least. I can vouch for the innocence of the first three, but I did not know the merchant beyond sensing his power when he performed in the square one afternoon.

"And finally, you asked about nobles with an interest in the dark arts?" He asked, more as a means of segueing into it rather than seeking actual confirmation. "Well, I can't say I know of any that don't already have the skill for it. I could tell you which ones do have it in their blood, but only a couple have manifested the power, and none of them have been to see me about it yet, unfortunately. It never ends well when a novice mage tries to ignore their power, does it? A shame that our culture tends to punish them before they've even the chance to prove themselves."

Zultharus regarded the two as they went back and forward, he sought not to interject anything and merely mused over what was said. It was when the two were done that he spoke. "A man with a sword, of greater craftsman's ship than that of a guard. The man was witnessed as he wounded a person who tried to assist one of the victems though failed to kill him." Standing up. "It is apparent that it is not a magic user that we are after but one who's merely trying to divert attention off in that way - After I leave here with Inya, you will need to engage with Dirus further on these matters and its likely he will be coming this way sometime soon to discuss things. He can be a bit untactful in terms of others feelings towards his words." He offered his hand toward Inya and looked to the other two. "Are there any other matters you might wish to share with me before I depart?"

Dirus had looked about the shop and kept attentive that no one was to walk in or peeping in as they talked, his shadows reaching out for any sign of someone paying the shop any amount of purpose. "My main interest is to see what's the link that puts them all together if they are, I have reason to believe that someone with a finely crafted sword is doing this. I suggest you warn the other mages, dark and light that it may be a noble who is doing this and just to be cautious and if they have any information to come to me. As far as this all goes, I will not be allowing anyone to be executed any more on false pretenses, If feel that some of Lord Harlow's work has become concerning slack or desperate. Its your culture rather than mine that clings to such prejudice, as for ignoring what they are, no it doesn't and they try to ignore it because they are fearful they'll be lynched."

Inya had watched and listened patiently as the men discussed these concerning matters. She grew more uncomfortable by the moment. Murders, dark mages being framed, a city of people ready to hang someone at the slightest hint of a shadow being somewhere it shouldn't. This was not the place for her, especially with her powers acting up. It was under control for now, but she felt hyper-aware of every absence of light within the room, and it made her skin crawl. Trying to focus on something else didn't help, since the conversation in the room wasn't any less stressful. On top of it all, the mark on her shoulder was itching madly, and it took all she had not to scratch at it, afraid to draw any attention to the area even though it was covered by her sleeve.

She heaved a sigh of relief when Zultharus offered his hand to her, giving him a weak smile of gratitude in return. She accepted his hand and stood up as well, eager to head through the door and out into the sunlight.

Ranath pondered for a moment, then shook his head. "I intend to look into this poison issue, but if Dirus hasn't hunted me down by noon, he can meet up with all of us in the square then." Both he and Yonge bid them goodbye, and Inya would eagerly follow Zultharus out.

Cooper nodded in agreement to everything Dirus said. "A noble with a fine sword... There are plenty of them, but the real question is how he chooses his victims. They seem quite random, to me, but he must plan it out first, otherwise he'd not escape so cleanly each time." He left his work bench once more. "I will spread the word to those I can. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Zultharus left the house and looked back at her, a hand placed to her shoulder and giving it a reassuring squeeze. "I do believe I owe you some hot food, how do you feel about getting something to eat and then eating it out in the morning or evening sun?" He had known of her growing unease and the reprieve garnered from the light increasing in the room to know enough that she was troubled. "I also know of the pact." He moved a hand to tap his temple. "We will be likely staying away from Dirus during his time here, so you and me will be free to get some things for you here that you'd need on the road, cloths if needed and other such things needed for a camping out in the wild. Its likely he will try teach you to sustain yourself out there."

Dirus shook his head. "Just don't get yourself killed, if you find a pattern then tell me. I will see what I can do to stem the tide of their murders and maybe it would be good to look at a few rather then all of them. If I wished to kill a specific person without arising suspicion I would kill others, then my target and others again to hide the purpose." With this being the last of he had to say he inclined his head and would exchange goodbyes with the cooper. He progressed back to North bridge now seeking to see if the performer had finally shown up.

"I'm not all that hungry, anymore, but thank you." Inya said. She appreciated his reassuring gesture, and was increasingly grateful for his presence, a welcome relief to have more gentle-minded company than any she had been around in days. It didn't bother her to know he'd already learned of her pact, rather it was another reason to feel comfortable in his presence. "Let's just take a look around town. It's so busy here, and the buildings are so large. Do you like towns? Dirus doesn't seem to enjoy them much."

The cooper frowned and stared after Dirus' retreating form with a brow raised, pondering on that last sentence. He shook his head after a moment, and resumed his work, mumbling a prayer to the gods that all would be set right soon, and the innocents avenged.

Tahn was waiting at the bridge, having arrived just after Dirus departed. The youngest two of the group of boys were with him, engaged in a pleasant chat. The other boys had all gone elsewhere or to work. Tahn looked up as Dirus approached, and excused himself from the boys company to meet him half way. "Ran'll be blowing smoke from his ears a while, but I think all this mess between us will blow over once we finish the job and can move on to another hunt. Find out anything new?"

Zultharus chuckled and shook his head. "Towns and Cities I don't, villages and farm's I do. normally find oneself in good company providing you provoke no measure of mistrust." He motioned for her to lead. "I'll follow, feel free to take us anywhere you'd like. Dirus doesn't seem to like much of anything." He took in a glance of her and seeing her with higher spirits brought and maintained a soft smile to his lips.

Dirus shrugged. "Nothing that wasn't already conveyed to Ran'll, though of course you have not heard. I hear word that you being here isn't one without invitation of coin, I suspect becoming attached to the girl gave more focus to your desire to see this ended. The killer does not use dark magic to slay their victims, so our stop will be to Lord........ Harrow - Harlow?. I have some rebuking to do."

"That's true." She giggled. "He's a bit of a grump, most the time, it seems." That was putting it lightly. She took the lead and started to head back toward the trade district, hoping to browse the shops. "I guess I'll just have to try and get used to him. Since we're on a journey and all. What's the Paladin place like, anyway? The uh.... Bastion? What's there to see and do there?" They passed by a couple young girls playing by the street, who stared in slight confusion at what appeared to be Inya holding a conversation with a mute man. Inya smiled and waved at them, oblivious to their befuddled expressions.

Tahn nodded and would lead the way once more toward Lord Harlow's place. "It makes sense. I've screened plenty of dark mages these past few days, through my clairvoyance, while Ranath, Chessa and Samoc all investigated in their own ways, and no lead has turned up much useful. Naturally, non-mages would be the next logical thing to look into. Though, Ran and the others are witch hunters by trade, and therefore more reluctant to look elsewhere but dark magic for an explanation." He sighed, putting his hands in his pockets while they strolled towards the higher-class part of town. In a lower voice, looking cautiously for anyone who shouldn't hear, he confirmed, "Yes, we were originally hired by the Yonge family to investigate the father's murder. Some of our jobs are by contract, others we happen upon."

"The Bastion, it is not the easiest of places to live for it does not give way to expedience. Everyone is expected to lift their own weight efficiently. There are suspended canals providing water to everywhere. Farms within the walls to protect it against siege. There is no open racism or prejudice there, so if its there its held privately. A place where magic users are train, though it requires you to be a Paladin..... Dirus crafted the main body of the society. There is not a lot of compassion for those of self admiration or gain."

He nodded. "Well as it stands, I might see about a social function being held where you could screen everyone of the nobles. The Sword was of better quality than the guards' own so its suspected he is someone of worth. Did you get anything from screening Harlow at all?" He inquired as he slowed his pace to allow time for talk.

"Sounds like a very strange place." Inya pondered on his description of the Bastion. "Strange, but not bad. Wonder how long it'll take to get there." She faltered in her step, staring at her hands for a moment in silent reflection. Her magic was acting up today, for certain. She could feel it writhing and bubbling under her skin, tingling at her fingertips, tugging at her thoughts. Constantly she fought off waves of fear and curiosity. "I need to be trained to control this." She whispered gravely. "And what about, um... this?" Discreetly, she pointed to her shoulder. "Are there people at The Bastion who have made... pacts... as well? Or will this be... frowned upon?"

"Nothing beyond what we've already discussed. Not everyone is easily read, and Lord Harlow is definitely a guarded person. Many politicians are, in my experience. The more charm they have on the outside, the less they like their inside self to be known." They had nearly reached the affluent section of the city. Tahn indicated one manor they were about to pass by. "If it's a swordsman we're after, Sir Savill is a collector of many blades. Though.... He's also the son of one of the victims. His mother, Gilda, was killed some months ago. Chessa and Ran handled meeting with him about it, so I have only heard their impression of him, but he seemed genuine to them."

"Pact's aren't taken with dark either spirits, this being most are malevolent but there are good ones. It is a cautionary thing that only more senior members are allowed to embark on and even then their pact circumstances are recorded, even with those who wield the light. There is little favoritism between the two arts apart for what their better for - Maybe it would be best if we left the city if you are having worries. You are at ill ease."

Dirus shrugged. "I would like to know of the relation between the two. Killing family its not beyond people as is such I killed my brother." He dropped this as if a mere casual thing. In truth he had a hard time understanding why many considered it so taboo. "We will visit Harlow and then this sword collector, when we visit the collector I will need you to distract him while I inspect his swords, see if any have blood lingering on them."

Inya shook her head lightly, but wrapped her arms around herself. "No, I'll be alright... For now anyway. I'll let you know if anything changes, of course. I don't want to draw any attention to myself, for sure. I just feel... different. Ever since the pact, but especially today." She gave a soft, frustrated sigh and stared up into the sky. "The circumstances of my pact... I don't even remember them, really. Something about... the moon." Her eyes searched the heavens, cloudless and deep blue, but there was no sign of the moon presently. "Must have been a deal to strengthen my powers, though I don't know why I would have wanted that. It's usually why people make deals with demons, isn't it? For more power? But... don't they have to offer something in exchange?" She held herself a bit tighter. "What bothers me most is I don't know what I gave in return. That's going to come back to haunt me..."

Tahn stumbled, taken aback by Dirus' casual confession, but he tried to shake it off and continue on the path. Kuldari were a strange and violent people, he reasoned, and it wasn't any of his business anyway. Besides, they had now reached the front gates of the Harlow estate once again. The guards eyed Tahn and Dirus with mild annoyance, but the gates were already open and they made no move to stop the investigators from entering the courtyard. While waiting for someone to answer the ornate doors, Tahn whispered, "Any plans or tactics I should know about this time? Any specific task for me, or do you plan to just question him out right?"

Zultharus placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "Most of the dark creatures of the either have a certain way of reacting to Dirus. there might be something he can do by reputation alone, if not and it is something bad, he would probably make sure you aren't capable of harming others. He enjoys circumventing those of the dark ether." He removed the hand and looked around to where she would have led them. "Although your powers are acting up at the moment."

He shook his head. "Just rebuking and seeing how he takes it." He continued now into the gate of the house and then to the house itself. He knocked on it this time for a more polite measure and awaited the servant or which ever he had to open the door.

They were nearing the square, about a block away still. The shops here sold fine things, their large clean windows displayed dresses and hats and jewelry, and finely crafted decorative objects. Inya's eyes wandered from window to window, marveling at first but then she gave a soft laugh and shook her head. "Where's a store with more practical items? I'd be afraid of breaking something in these stores, even if I didn't have clumsy magic." She resolved to put her worries out of her mind for the time being, and skipped further toward the center of town. She avoided looking at the gallows, giving it a wide berth as she rounded the square and came to a stop in front of a general store. "What sort of things might we need while traveling? I've never been far from home before, and all I've got with me is a blanket and a change of clothes."

Soon a butler came to let them in, the same servant who had been there the night before. Without need of explanation, he immediately showed them to a sitting room and excused himself to go and fetch Lord Harlow. A noblewoman entered the room a few moments later, followed by a serving girl with drinks on a platter. "Hello. I am Lady Amellia Harlow, welcome to our home. My husband will be with you in a moment, I just wanted to come and greet you, and thank you for the work you're doing for our city." Her words were mostly directed to Dirus, though she politely acknowledged Tahn's presence as well. The serving girl offered drinks to both of them.

Zultharus chuckled to her comment about breaking something. "Such things are for vain things yes. Shelter, warmth, things to cook and eat with, canteen. Worry not about the cost, the Paladins will pay for the necessities, consider it a gift." He started forward to go into the store and then went about the store to help her gather the items. "Its best to get items of quality than cheapness, you'll also need something to start fires." He would seek to place some items at the counter as he then greeted the general store receptionist. While he was doing this how ever, his shadow sense extended out, doing what Dirus had once done and sought to catch any that might be following them.

He looked at the drinking platter and shook his head politely. "No thank." His words seeming automatic as he looked over the noblewoman. "I doubt you will like my presence for much longer, I am here to berate your husband, I suggest you listen as to why when I speak to him." His head tilted to the side as he looked at her and had a niggling curiosity. His magic reaching out to her to see if she had any niggling of magic. He motioned across to Tahn. "My efforts are only half, my friend here also deserves credit for helping with the city's plight for they have been here longer than I and has provided quite good information."

Inya was overwhelmed with gratitude for the offer of his gift. She gathered up the required items along with him, beginning to wonder how she would possibly carry it all while still managing to keep up with Dirus once they were on their way again. She supposed the horse would help, though she still suspected it was stolen and wasn't sure just what to do about that. As she approached the counter, arms laden with supplies, she accidentally bumped a display shelf containing many jars of dried foodstuffs. One of the jars immediately tipped over and headed for the floor. With arms full, she could only watch it's descent in horror, all while her instincts wished to reach out and catch it before it could shatter on the wooden floor. This desire subconsciously willed her magic into action, and a shadowy tendril shot up from the floor to meet the falling jar in mid-air, wrapping around it to halt it's fall. All this, within clear view of the shopkeer and two other shoppers. Alarmed by her blunder, Inya gasped and the jar hit the floor, though this time without enough force to crack it.

"Oh... I see..." Lady Harlow said, for lack of a better response. She motioned for the servant girl to leave. "Well, I'm sure whatever it is, he'll be more than willing to make it right..." She said, halfheartedly, and took a seat. "Have there been any new developments in discovering the culprits? My husband prefers not to include me in the investigations, I think he finds the details too gruesome for a woman of my station... but my grandmother was one of the victims, and it would comfort me greatly to know for certain the monster who did that to her is justly dealt with."

Zultharus was forced to watch the blunder happen as he too was not in a position of where he was unable to catch it. When he put his items on the table how ever his composure was one of a more military figure then that of a pleasant and kindhearted person acting as a caretaker. "Paladin charge." He explained. As he bent down to pick up the jar and put it back on the table. Acting less worried then he really was he would motion for Inya to put the items on the counter. "How much would all this be?" He motioned over the equipment. "It will also be appreciated that you keep this to yourself, I suspect if my friend here gets into trouble. Her ward, the Kuldari will be displeased." He knew it was a threat but couldn't help but make it. He was charged with her safety for the time being. He turned his gaze across the windows in quick succession to see if anyone had 'peeked' on what had happened.

He couldn't help surpass the chuckle softly. He knew now why he held animosity for at least one of the victims. "We aren't in search of a magic user. Though what you could provide me is a list with all of the nobles with skill in combat and separately those who process magic, currently or hereditary. Justice for the killer will come at being killed themselves, the paladins do not have prisons for we contain no idealism that we can rehabilitate all." He looked toward the door way for a moment before back to her. "Given your husbands fathers reputation, was there no hesitance as to marrying him?"

Inya, hands shaking, timidly stepped forward to place her items on the counter as well. "S- sorry." She whispered to the shopkeeper, and then ducked behind Zultharus. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the other patrons watching her. They were both women, and stood close to each other, fear and suspicion and contempt in their eyes. No one else had witnessed the event, the windows were clear.

The shopkeeper stiffly rifled through the items, appraising them while keeping a wary eye on Zul and Inya. He grunted out a price, and then in a low voice he said, "Just pay and leave. I don't need people spreading rumors about me thanks to the likes of you."

Amellia looked at him curiously, as if it were an odd question. "He's a lord, it was a sensible marriage. It wasn't exactly up to me, anyway. My father pushed for it, and Reeve was always so charming when we courted." Her voice trailed off, as she really didn't understand the significance of any of it. "As for your other question... I suppose I could compose a list for you, from what I know." She stood up, and just then the door swung open again and Lord Harlow entered the room. He motioned for Amellia to leave the room, and then nodded curtly in greeting to Dirus and Tahn.

Zulthars only shook his head to the man. "Then we have the same aim." He did pay and he would gather the equipment, of course in a bag or something of the like to make it easier to carry before leaving the store. He looked back at Inya. "Things are becoming harder to control I see, maybe its best we head outside the city for a while." He would seek to lead them back to the inn so he could help her with preparing the bag and such, and as well acquire the horse for when they would leave. "I suspect your arrangement." he said with a pointed voice. "Is starting to take affect."

He shook his head and spoke up. "Be best if she stays. Lord Harlow." He moved near him. "The victims all died of blade wounds as I did meet the person who studied the dead. I suspect you'll be dismayed to find that it is not one innocent person you killed but all those you executed. I looked upon the dark magic runes and found they were not drawn by one who had an inclination on how to use them missing key things - I read your report book at the garrison after I left. You have been rash in your actions and I would desire an explaination." He looked toward Tahn and then Amellia if she stayed and then back to Harlow. "And after this talk I would like you to ensure you are guarded at all times... sufficiently so."

Inya hurried after him, wrapping her arms around herself as if to keep from falling apart. She nodded wordlessly in agreement to what Zultharus said, following him across the square towards the inn. Even in broad daylight, with the sun almost directly over head, she could feel her magic bubbling up, reaching out. Her own shadow seemed like a weight that pulled at her feet, becoming almost tangible at times. She shuddered to think what it might do if it weren't midday, and had more shadow to work with. Once inside the inn, she hurried upstairs to her room, brushing right by Samoc and Chessa (who didn't know her yet anyway) and sat upon the bed, head in her hands.

Amelia lingered in the doorway, uncertain what she ought to be doing. Tahn hung back against a wall, watching these events unfurl. Lord Harlow's eyes narrowed just slightly at the words 'you killed', his posture taking a bit of a defensive body language. "I am not the one being rash. The victims died by blade, and the runes held no purpose, or so you claim. These things do not disprove the possibility that the killer had dark magic. It's my understanding that runes are not needed for use of shadow magic or curses. And regardless, any one in this city could have access to some form of blade, from kitchen knives to fishing knives, to family heirloom swords or the standard-issue blades of the guard. Have you any proof that those I executed did not commit the crimes? Anything beyond rumor and hearsay, that is?"

He did not wait for an answer, but stepped further into the room and continued, "I'll tell you what I do know, and what information I used to make my judgements. Of the four who have been executed, do you know how many of them possessed the ability for dark magic? All of them. The first, Ralf Harte, had ties to all four previous victims, and vague or no alibis for each. The orc, Urag, had a grudge with the victim Hubyr, and it was discovered he had a pact with a demon, which -- by law -- is grounds for execution on it's own. The traveling merchant was witnessed using illusion shadow magic, with multiple reports of suspicious and potentially harmful uses, and had an altercation with Gilda Savill, my wife's grandmother. He also lacked an alibi for the time of her murder."

"And Anri?" Tahn piped up from the corner, his jaw clenched.

"Yes, as for Anri," Lord Harlow gave Tahn a pointed look. "I am willing to accept she may have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. But as I told you last night, she attacked the guards who arrived at the scene, and was covered in blood, giving more than enough reason to detain her. Her trial should have been handled more thoroughly, yes, and if she was innocent then the killer is still at large. So." He glared at Dirus. "Why is it you are here, questioning the methods by which I keep my city as safe as I can, and insinuating ill things about my character, rather than out there searching for the culprit?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back