• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Students of the Imperial Magecraft Academy (Open, Accepting)

Jean Otus

Would-Be Prince
Vienna, 1909
The seat of the Austro-Hungarian Empire

The clacking of chalk against the slate board filled the classroom, the sharp sounds reverberating off the wood panels and desks. The soft light of early morning streamed in through the large glass windows, revealing the motes of dust created by the writing as they streamed down from the board, were caught by a draft, and scattered throughout the room in an imperceptible layer. At the front of the room, writing on the board was a gentleman who had just left his youthful years, the red in his auburn hair had given way to a more subdued brown in his thirty-second year. This hair was swept back over his head with the aid of some hair oil and a judicious comb. Similarly, the beard and mustache which occupied the lower half of his face were carefully groomed. The ends of his mustache were delicately curled in perfect symmetry, with manicured tips as sharp as pins. His mode of dress was as sharp as his hair, with a bright white shirt and black silk tie under a gray waistcoat. Below this was a pair of brown riding breeches and a set of boots to match. This mix of soldier and scholar was a common aesthetic of the academy. There the mages were allowed to mix their official military garb with civilian clothes. Their unique status amongst the great minds and officers of the empire afforded them that much. This privilege was not unlike that of other mages across the world.

Ever since the magical renaissance following the cynicism of the enlightenment and industrial revolutions, the great powers of the world have raced to integrate the craft into war and politics. As such, practitioners from around the globe were offered the chance for social advancement in the greatest cities of Europe, the Americas, and Asia. In return for their loyalty, these mages were granted titles of nobility, land, money, and the ear of important governing figures. It has not all been a life in the lap of luxury though. Loyalty to a great power meant functioning as a tool of the state. War, diplomacy, intrigue, all became influenced by the presence of magic. As a consequence, the practitioners of magic found themselves at the whim of every minister, king, president, and emperor.

Yet, in spite of this, it was a way to advance, a way to escape poverty, enough so that young people from all corners of the world with magical potential would travel to the centers of power to earn their spot in the peerage of mages. To better cultivate this talent, the great powers established academies for these mages to learn the most useful types of magic practiced in the career they are working towards. It is in one of these academies that we find ourselves, in a class full of bright young mages vying to join the ranks of the imperial mages of Austria-Hungary and their affiliated kingdoms and principalities. At the head of the class stands the sharp-looking professor, who has just finished inscribing the lesson plan for this first day at the academy. As he turns around he can see the students from across the world who gathered in this austere old capital of a great, multinational empire to learn from him.

"Good day class, my name is Doctor Farkas." He introduces himself, his Hungarian accent softening the final sound of his name to a gentle shh. "I will be your instructor this semester, I look forward to teaching you all. If you all would introduce yourselves to the class, we can begin our first lesson."

Last edited:
This is an idea I've been working on for a bit now. This is about a class of magically gifted soldiers and political figures in the early 20th century, specifically the academy that trains these people and the lives of the students. I have set it in the diverse and fascinating Austro-Hungarian Empire, a country which a gifted bunch of mages may be able to save from the collapse that tore it apart.

Are any kind of weapon gonna be allowed or will be a limited to a specific type?

Are any kind of weapon gonna be allowed or will be a limited to a specific type?
Mages usually practice magic through a focus, like a wand, scepter, or ring, though some of the new-age soldier-mages have been known to channel their power through a ceremonial saber.

Mages usually practice magic through a focus, like a wand, scepter, or ring, though some of the new-age soldier-mages have been known to channel their power through a ceremonial saber.
I asked because I wondered if like a grimoire would be an acceptable weapon.

I see magic is a way of socal advancement at a time of deep inequality in society, but is there also a certain pride in it for nobility as well? Hoping there child can cast so they can have an edge as an officer in the military? If so, does a lot of the military high command and officers have magic purely because its simply better and more prestigious than not having it?

I see magic is a way of socal advancement at a time of deep inequality in society, but is there also a certain pride in it for nobility as well? Hoping there child can cast so they can have an edge as an officer in the military? If so, does a lot of the military high command and officers have magic purely because its simply better and more prestigious than not having it?
Magic use tends to originate in the fringes of society, and as such is generally looked down upon by most well established noble families, who prefer to cling to what they see as the proper method for social climbing. Some smaller noble families have intermarried with mages and have introduced magic into those bloodlines, but to the old nobility the mages are viewed as nouveau-riche upstarts.

Braddington Braddington Gaius Danius Griinia Gaius Danius Griinia Neuro Vampire Neuro Vampire Emperor1 Emperor1 Kumii Kumii divine comedy divine comedy Kabboom Kabboom
Here is the OOC thread, with the characters thread linked. Please note I am open to people using different types of photos/pictures/art as for their character faceclaims, but I reserve the right to tell you if it doesn't really fit with the world or the rest of the cast.

This looks super interesting. How many people are you accepting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back