• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Steel and Bullets | A Steampunk Western

ADarkAndStormyNight

Official Coolguy
unnamed.jpg
Guns. Machines. Money. Land.

These four things control all of life in the land of Columbia. Steam power and Magic have advanced technology significantly, beginning to connect settlements and camps together, to form the smallest inklings of a real, proper country. Train lines across the country have made a sustainable country within reason, though much of the land remains undeveloped and uninhabited. However, men in Columbia sought after the four things all men seek, and became a threat to powerful to take down. The average man, left to his own devices in a weakening and collapsing government, has no protection against these lawless individuals. Small businesses became victim to harassment, and ordained lawmen were either too corrupted or to ill-prepared to handle such a threat. That's when Bounty Hunters, calling themselves Riders, came along.

For a fee, these Riders could bring you anyone you wanted- killers, thieves, petty criminals. The whole set. And thus, the people of Columbia, fearful and endangered, turned to them. More and more people became Riders, leaving their old lives behind- it didn't matter if you were a farmer, a miner, an engineer- nothing. Even as Government Rangers sought to wane them out, they realized they were ill-fit to handle the Riders.

These Riders realized that job assurance was better in groups, and thus, travelling wagon parties of Riders started to form, workers/killers for hire. These wagons were better compared to massive ships, removing the need for horses entirely- instead, using steam power, they allowed these Riders to travel to and from jobs with ease. The mechanical wagon became a symbol of these vigilantes, and a sign people could look to with hope, instead of with fear.

And it is now time for you to become a rider- leave your old life behind, and live your life in search of coin.

This is a roleplay that takes place in a Wild West style steampunk world. You would play, presumably, as a wannabe rider, and a member of a wagon party, traveling from place to place in search of money. Magic will be a minor element of play- some individuals managed to control basic control of the elements, or even healing, to use as they wish. A majority of the technology would be advanced versions of things already seen in the West (i.e Horses, wagons, guns, and power). If this gains enough interest, I'll post a CS page.

I don't know if we need that many people, no sense in splitting a bounty ten ways. In fact, a close-knit group of six sounds about perfect.

I don't know if we need that many people, no sense in splitting a bounty ten ways. In fact, a close-knit group of six sounds about perfect.
Oh yeah, it's just that usually half of those who say they're interested actually make characters, so I figured I'd wait for a little more traction (plus I need time to write out everything).

14 barrels~

For my character, I thought it'd be fun for them to have an extremely cumbersome weapon, hence the volley guns. One big blast, then they have to retreat and reload. Only, they're way too small to handle the recoil (though nobody else could, either), so they have to aim beforehand, put it on some sort of timer, and back up to retrieve the gun when it shoots back from the lack of support. In a pinch, they can throw the gun into the air, but there's always a risk of that going wrong.

:closed eyes open smile: "If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger gun."

Are you thinking of a gadget hero who just likes weird equipment, or is this a case of "more gun = more fun"?
"Hey look buddy, I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems, not problems like "What is beauty?" Because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems, for instance: how am I going to stop some mean mother Hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous be-hind? The answer, use a gun, and if that don't work... Use more gun." A Texan.

Are you thinking of a gadget hero who just likes weird equipment, or is this a case of "more gun = more fun"?
I suppose they'd fit more into the "more gun, more fun" category, but I like the idea of them picking up a volley gun purely out of necessity, and just getting used to its eccentricities. They probably found it mounted somewhere, unattached it, and installed the "timer" mechanism. In a weird way, it's their weapon keeping them on their toes. Just carrying it around is a workout, using it depends on them learning to keep perfect time in their head, etc etc.

If you're okay with a newbie RP'er, I'd love to join! Definitely sounds interesting and would be intriguing to join a group RP.

Kassandra Kassandra catharsis. catharsis. SomRPIshNoice SomRPIshNoice Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian Humble1 Humble1 leonhardt231 leonhardt231 Hugh Flynn Hugh Flynn MechanicalSnake MechanicalSnake

I wrote up a lore thread- the CS should be posted by tomorrow morning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back