• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Starlight Caravan (open, apply in the recruitment thread)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Rowan/Maria

The two young elves had just finished their meal when a curious person approached them and invited them to have some food with them. This was certainly unexpected and Rowan couldn't deny that they hadn't eat much for the past few days. He didn't like to owe someone a favor like this but he gulped his pride and nodded.

"Thank you mister Fletcher, we'll be grateful for the offer. I'm Rowan and this is my sister Maria." Maria nodded weakly from behind his back, seemed to deliberately placed Rowan between herself and the stranger. The two would then follow Fletcher to his family.

EndEffector EndEffector

Aden Stonewood~
Aden nodded in Cydon's direction and took the offered seat with a scowl.

"These are no travelers," he grumbled, feeling the tension mounting in his brow. "These are farmers, herdsmen, children..." he swept an exasperated hand back at the entry of the camp. "This journey would take months for skilled road elves with able mounts, some of these will go by foot unless any herdsmen are willing to spare their Elk for the journey."

He glanced around the table at the gathered warriors, those who still held onto the old ways and traditions of arms that had kept Elven lands secure before the days of the sorcerer.

"The task before us is greater than I had anticipated. We will all need to be on guard and ready to defend the caravan. Especially once we reach the steppe. My wife is going about to see if any are infirm, lame, or with child. We should position those carts and groups close to the center of the caravan, with able hands afore and behind. We should also coordinate watches each night while we are near the wood. The wolves have stayed at bay these last two nights, but they will try our defences at some point, look for stragglers and small one they can pick off."

He turned his earnest gaze to Cydonis.

"You have seen a span of years longer than I," he said. "How many do we stand to lose before we reach the end of our road?"

Rowan/Maria

The two young elves had just finished their meal when a curious person approached them and invited them to have some food with them. This was certainly unexpected and Rowan couldn't deny that they hadn't eat much for the past few days. He didn't like to owe someone a favor like this but he gulped his pride and nodded.

"Thank you mister Fletcher, we'll be grateful for the offer. I'm Rowan and this is my sister Maria." Maria nodded weakly from behind his back, seemed to deliberately placed Rowan between herself and the stranger. The two would then follow Fletcher to his family.

EndEffector EndEffector

Fletcher walked back to his camp through the long grass along the side of the stream with Rowan and Maria. As they approached, Sybil glared intensely at Fletcher, and Fletcher pretended not to notice.

"If there is a stray to be found, you will find it, won't you?" said Sybil. Fletcher grinned.

"You must forgive my patient wife, Sybil; I test her sorely."

Fletcher ducked as a wooden bowl, thrown half in jest, barely missed his head. Still grinning, he picked up the bowl and said to Rowan and Maria,

"Please. Have a seat. I promise she doesn't bite"

Maria wasn't so sure. When Sybil had thrown the bowl, her cloak had parted slightly to reveal layers of leather straps that held several daggers on her right side. There was no ornamentation to the daggers. Just functional, well-used steel.

"We have some bread and warm elks milk... and I think there is some rabbit tucked away in here", said Fletcher as he searched through their saddle bags. "You can't travel with an empty stomach."

Sybil gestured to the ground near the small fire where they had warmed their milk,

"Sit."

Rowan/Maria

The young elves sat on the ground like Sybil said. The faint smell of warm milk tickled their hunger. Maria tighten her stomach to not let out any embarassing sound, but then Rowan's stomach just let out a loud growl shamelessly, he grabbed the bread and milk and started eating ravenously.

"Oh, this is delicious!"

Maria was a bit hesitant, but she eventually took a small portion and ate her meal slowly, savoring every bites instead of just shoving down the foods like her companion did. She looked at each of the family member carefully and caught the sight of their small child. Ruffling through her pocket, Maria pulled her tiny sack sack and extended her hand towards the child.

"Want a... candy?" She offered the child one of the honey candy. Her voice was weak and shaky, but also gentle.

EndEffector EndEffector

Rowan/Maria

The young elves sat on the ground like Sybil said. The faint smell of warm milk tickled their hunger. Maria tighten her stomach to not let out any embarassing sound, but then Rowan's stomach just let out a loud growl shamelessly, he grabbed the bread and milk and started eating ravenously.

"Oh, this is delicious!"

Maria was a bit hesitant, but she eventually took a small portion and ate her meal slowly, savoring every bites instead of just shoving down the foods like her companion did. She looked at each of the family member carefully and caught the sight of their small child. Ruffling through her pocket, Maria pulled her tiny sack sack and extended her hand towards the child.

"Want a... candy?" She offered the child one of the honey candy. Her voice was weak and shaky, but also gentle.

EndEffector EndEffector

Fletcher stretched out his hand, took the candy, and showed it to Embari,

"Try this. It's sweet."

Embari, who had turned her face to Sybil and hidden down in the wraps of the fur covering her, hesitantly turned around to her fathers voice. She looked at the candy with distrust.

"You'll like it" said Fletcher, smiling. Embari slowly reached out a small hand from under her furs and took the honey candy. She inspected it for a little while and then turned back to Fletcher. He nodded encouragingly. Embari quickly put the candy in her mouth. It wasn't a large candy, but it filled her tiny mouth, and when she moved it with her tongue it made large bulges on her cheeks and clicked against her teeth. All of a sudden her eyes bulged as the candy gave up its sweet taste.

"Is that good?" asked Fletcher.

"Mm hmm" nodded Embari.

"Say thank you." said Sybil. Embari shyly looked toward Maria,

"Fangu" she mumbled and then quickly turned back to Sybil and hid in her furs again.

"You should finish this up." said Fletcher pointing to the food, "we're going to move out soon and we won't be able to take it with us." Meanwhile, Sybil cast her penetrating gaze upon Rowan and Maria. She didn't seem angry, but it was hard to read exactly what it was that she was thinking.

Cydonis mused on the young Carda's potential for leadership and remarked how Aden could have proved himself a fine general. Perhaps an appointment is in order should we arrive in Andar's refuge? Stoic-faced men with hard demeanours listened in prudence as Aden continued and Cydon nodded along, heeding his words with conviction. A sergeant set two palms on the table and leaned over, the candle flame flickered and carved shadows into his chiseled appearance as he surveyed the pinned map. Aden mentioned the steppe and some men flashed concerned looks. A seemingly unenthusiastic corporal explained the stark rumours regarding weird occurrences and strange happenings reported on the southern plateau. A lot of travelers had gone missing in the region. The men agreed on his positioning of the carts and were satisfied with his plans to safeguard the caravan. One sergeant and two corporals ducked out the tent and immediately barked orders to strip wood into arrows. Some eagle-eyed scouts had spotted more wolves the night prior lingering in the fringes of the wood, stalking the treeline, and measuring their prey. That morning the guards had switched to practicing with bows and spears.

Cydon poured Aden a glass and pressed its base forward, skirting it across chipped wood and splinters. Cydonis then listened in. "You have seen a span of years longer than I," Aden said. "How many do we stand to lose before we reach the end of our road?"

Cydonis had pondered this very question only nights ago and it poised him with ubiquitous doubt over the matter as a haze of uncertainty strangled his optimism about an uneventful passage. He and Aden conversed through the slightest of expressions in the silence that ensued his grave-sounding question. They understood there would be many casualties. You could hear a pin drop.

"Half will die." came the reply, toneless and misfortunate. "You're right - these men and women 'ent nomads. And cattle? A king's ransom fi each fuhkin' head." he sniffed hard, tensing his left nostril. Cydon put his elbows on the table and hunched his shoulders, adopting a gravelly calm tone. "Humans hate us, brigands spite us, and nature is a harsh mistress. At the end of our journey, the dead will stand between us like wraiths."

"And north of Parvene? Aye, we're marching into the cruel embrace of an iron maiden."

Owl Knight Owl Knight

Last edited:
Rowan/Maria

Maria's smile bloomed as she watched Embari enjoying the little treat that she gave. Back in her days as the apprentice-priestess, one of her regular task was to handle the kids in the orphanage so this brief exchange threw her back to those peaceful days.

"Really? We can take the food? Thank you! We will definitely not forget this." Meanwhile Rowan seems busy stuffing his mouth and pockets with the remaining foods. Both of them finished their meal and proceed with helping the family loadng their goods into the wagon. Maria seems very eager to help as she nimbly lifted some small camping items into the wagon.

"Yo, mister Fletcher. Thank you for the food again. We were a bit low on that." Rowan snuck a bit of casual conversation while helping with the preparation. "Just wondering, why did you decide to join this journey? No one even sure that this Andar guy is real."

EndEffector EndEffector

Rowan/Maria

Maria's smile bloomed as she watched Embari enjoying the little treat that she gave. Back in her days as the apprentice-priestess, one of her regular task was to handle the kids in the orphanage so this brief exchange threw her back to those peaceful days.

"Really? We can take the food? Thank you! We will definitely not forget this." Meanwhile Rowan seems busy stuffing his mouth and pockets with the remaining foods. Both of them finished their meal and proceed with helping the family loadng their goods into the wagon. Maria seems very eager to help as she nimbly lifted some small camping items into the wagon.

"Yo, mister Fletcher. Thank you for the food again. We were a bit low on that." Rowan snuck a bit of casual conversation while helping with the preparation. "Just wondering, why did you decide to join this journey? No one even sure that this Andar guy is real."

EndEffector EndEffector

"In truth, I don't think it matters if prince Andar is real of not. People need direction and hope. He gives them that. But he's not going to build homes or communities; He just provides the center. The anchor. Everyone coming together is the important thing. When our people have purpose and belief, they will be able to make it happen."

"I doubt this is going to end quite like it is planned. Plans never do." he said with a smile, "It's going to be a time for us to redefine who we are as a people. It will be a time of change. A test of who we really are."

Fletcher turned back packing for a moment before turning back to Rowan,

"You look like you grew up on the hot sands. I'm sure your skills will prove valuable as we head through the Northern Steppes. But it is a long way to the Steppes. We will be passing through forest and prairie land before we get there. Do you know how to hunt those lands?"

Rowan shook his head.

"There's a story my father used to tell. One day, a large boar was carefully sharpening his tusks against the bark of a maple tree, when a Fox, coming by, asked him why he did so, "I see no reason for it. There is no hunter. There is no hound. There is no danger at all that I can see." "True" said the boar gruffly, "but, when danger does arise, I shall have something more important to do than sharpen my weapons."

"It's a silly story; But you should learn to hunt. There will be plenty who can teach you on the caravan. I am happy to share what I know if you are interested. In any case, you are both welcome to travel with us."

"In truth, I don't think it matters if prince Andar is real of not. People need direction and hope. He gives them that. But he's not going to build homes or communities; He just provides the center. The anchor. Everyone coming together is the important thing. When our people have purpose and belief, they will be able to make it happen."

"I doubt this is going to end quite like it is planned. Plans never do." he said with a smile, "It's going to be a time for us to redefine who we are as a people. It will be a time of change. A test of who we really are."

Fletcher turned back packing for a moment before turning back to Rowan,

"You look like you grew up on the hot sands. I'm sure your skills will prove valuable as we head through the Northern Steppes. But it is a long way to the Steppes. We will be passing through forest and prairie land before we get there. Do you know how to hunt those lands?"

Rowan shook his head.

"There's a story my father used to tell. One day, a large boar was carefully sharpening his tusks against the bark of a maple tree, when a Fox, coming by, asked him why he did so, "I see no reason for it. There is no hunter. There is no hound. There is no danger at all that I can see." "True" said the boar gruffly, "but, when danger does arise, I shall have something more important to do than sharpen my weapons."

"It's a silly story; But you should learn to hunt. There will be plenty who can teach you on the caravan. I am happy to share what I know if you are interested. In any case, you are both welcome to travel with us."
Ace Cream Ace Cream

Juriel had finished wrapping the metal box of curring meat in the sheet. Having to do it himself was hard, but he did have his pack of feasting Field Raptors behind him. So it was understandable as to why no one was coming near him.

It took him another minute or two to strap the set up to the top of a wagon. His raptors finally stopped eating. Leaving very few things of their meal.

While Juriel finished tying up the large box to the top of a wagon he heard another of the caravan saying that two elves could join. What really caught his attention was saying that they could learn to hunt. Given that hunting was kind of his thing, he was interested.

Hopping down he walked over to the group, his raptors in tow. Staooping a distance from them as to not scare the group "If you are looking to learn how to hunt, I believe I could be of assistance."

He had his bow over his shoulder, it being a few feet taller than himself. Even the arrows in his quiver were a bit longer that normal arrows. It was common knowledge that the Way of Notchism was a thing in the Lothan Clan. Though most didn't offer to teach hunting. Chances were he would not teach the Notchish hunting and bow, but he was still a hunter.

Juriel gave a bow "
I am Juriel Gilfoud. A member of the Lothan Clan and follower of the Notchish Way." He then motioned to his Raptors, from smallest to largest "These are my Field Raptors. Gruul, Silica, Yammick, Horiz and Fiila." The raptors all accept the pets he gave them. They still had a little blood on them from their meal.

As they nuzzled the elven man he looked to Rowan and Maria "
If you truly wish to hunt, I can teach you." Suddenly the raptirs seemed excited. Tbey looked at Juriel then to a clearing. The smallest of them started to jump up and down, as if waiting for something. Taking a look, Juriel smiled seeing a Moss Stag. Common fauna around these parts. Not hard for a pack of Field Raptors to kill, but their speed made them fun to chase. Juriel could see they were waiting for permission to play.

With a chuckle he made two clicking noises. Then the raptors took off, screatching at the stag who took off and the game began. Juriel turned his eyes back to Rowan and Maria "
My people are considered the best marksman around. And the Lothan even recognizes the people who follow Notchism as the best archers. And those who follow the Notchish way recognize me and my Raptors as the best hunters among them. I will teach you, if you so wish. But you would have to be around my pack. Will that be an issue?"

Rowan/Maria

"Well, let's just hope that's what would happen." Rowan replied thoughfully. He knew almost nothing about the Andar stuffs, he never met him, he never care about him. Hence why he was curious to see people's opinion of this rumour about Andar in the north, but Fletcher was right, for younger generation like him who had no connection to the previous elven royal this exodus to the north was simply an excuse to gather the elves and rebuild their community. He felt like some of the burden inside his heart had been lifted.

He wrapped up the last items to be loaded on the wagon and finished their packing as their conversation turned into the topic of hunting. Another skill that he hadn't much experience of. He was a scout during his time in Nightshade. Sneaking around in an unfamiliar environment or pickpocketing people were easy, but he never tried his hands much in hunting. Only the obligatory ones like that time when they tried to subjugate a giant desert bullworm, and failed.

He was thinking about Fletcher's offer when another person approached them with a few raptors following him. He could hear Maria's muffled squeal as she probably hide behind something when she noticed the raptors. The man introduced himself as Juriel from Lothan and a member of Notschish something. Rowan didn't know a thing about the Notschish stuff but he knew that Lothan was considered the best hunter among the elves, even his previous caravan assigned most Lothan as the hunting group and they did wonder.

"I'm grateful that you're offering to teach me mister Juriell. But, hmmm..." Rowan's eyes glanced towards Maria who was peeking from behind a tree, she seemed intent on hearing the conversation but was unwilling to get closer to the raptors.

"Maria, I'm going to learn how to hunt with this man." Rowan pointed at the hunter with his thumb. He just wanted to mess around and didn't expect Maria's next reply.

"Okay, I will learn to hunt too then!" Maria nodded while still hiding behind the tree, but after saying that she slowly approached the group and stood next to Rowan while trying her best to not shows fear at the raptor. "I-I'm fine!" She tried to convince herself over her shaking legs.

"What? No, you stay here. Just help Mister Fletcher with stuffs."

"N-nooo! I want to join hunting!"

"Geee, allright then. Mister Juriell, do you think she should join our hunting lesson?" Rowan smirked at Maria as he called upon the help of other people to pressure her. Maria was a diligent kid and can be very clever at times, but she's still a kid. Something like hunting would expose her to too much danger. He couldn't afford to lose her, not now.

EccentricFantasy EccentricFantasy EndEffector EndEffector

Aden Stonewood~

Aden hung his head, hoping dearly that the old Carda was wrong.

In a deep place within himself, he knew that hope to be folly.

"Talk eats our sunlight hours," he said, quoting an old Elven proverb. He rose and touched him fingers to his brow: a gesture of respect towards his elder and the gathered men who had taken on the role of Cydonis' security council.

"Begin sorting the wagons," he said. "I'll announce our departure."

He left the tent, his new cloak swirling behind him as he stepped into the morning breeze. Many of the wagons had been packed and the gathered families had begun yoking elk, horse, and ox. There was a buzz in the air, an anticipation that had grown since his address to the caravan. Many, for the first time, felt the urgency of the moment, the anticipation of what was to come.

Aden called several young and spry looking elves to himself. They hurried over with eagre looks on their fresh faces.

"Spread the word through the camp, we depart on the hour. Tell all to look for Cydonis' Elves and to follow their commands. We depart!"

With a cheer, the six young elves hurried off into the caravan spreading the word.

Demri approached, from within the throng of wagons, she carried a small, leather bound tome under her arm.

"There are twenty families in all, and some twelve or thirteen single caravaneers. Seven are with child, one carries twins. At least four will deliver before we reach the mountains." She bit her lip and her brow furrowed at his expression. "It will be hard, won't it?" She asked.

"Yes," she replied shortly, and he took her hand. "But we will see it to the end."

He turned and mounted the rear step of their wagon, turning to face the caravan.

"Elves, to me! The caravan begins!"

Ace Cream Ace Cream Owl Knight Owl Knight

Juriel smiled a bit. Very rarely did he see two so eager to learn. Maria in particular was very interesting. Able to overcome her fear of the pack enough to want to hunt. Not many could overcome the fear of a Field Raptor pack. They were very dangerous.

He continued looking at the young pair with a smile. After a moment he clapped a single time "Very well. I will teach you both to hunt. We will start lessons...."

Stopping as he heard Aden call. He sighed a bit and turned his gaze upon Rowan and Maria "
Another time. Right now, we must keep up." He whistled into the woods. Soon his pack burst from the tree line, running towards him. He made his way towards the caravan. His raptors forming up behind him.

He took the time to study each of the wagons. Which one would need to be protected most of all? The rations wagon? Maybe the leaders wagon. No. In the end he decided upon the family wagons. If food was lost, he could replace it easily. And he would assume that the elected leader of this caravan could handle himself long enough for him to get there.

Juriel took the time to place the pack. One per wagon on Interchanging sides. He gave them each a treat of meat he had in his pouch. They made small noises to communicate with one another. Now he had a good security net over these wagons.

Juriel himself climed up onto the top of the wagon. Now up there he could see all five of his raptors, waiting patiently to start moving. He also had a clear view in all directions. With his arrow ability, this was his perfect spot.

Rowan/Maria

Rowan glared back and forth between Juriel and Maria. The girl had a wide grin on her face as she flaunting her victory in front of him. The hell? Why did the hunter let the kid join the hunt? Did they secretly have some agreement or something?? He could only sigh and facepalm himself since he was the one who suggested Juriel to decide it. Before they could discuss things further though the caravan started to move.

"Come, Maria. We should go." Rowan tugged his companion's hand and urged her to follow him. Maria waved her free hand towards Fletcher and Juriel as a silent goodbye.

"We still don't have any wagon. Are we going to walk all the way to the north, Rowan?" Maria curiously asked. After having a warm meal she felts like she would be able to do that, but she still wanted to hear what was in Rowan's mind.

"Well, yes but no. Listen, just fake a flu allright?"

"W-what??" Maria was still confused but they caught up with a rather slow wagon with closed curtain and the symbol of a heart drawn on it. It's the wagon for the sicks.

"Yo mister, my sister have a bit of a fever. Can she rest inside?" Rowan asked the bored looking man who was the driver of the wagon.

"I'm siiick." Maria followed Rowan's suggestion and let out some not-so-convincing coughs. She was a bad liar, but the driver didn't seems to care and just nod towards the back of the wagon. Rowan lifted Maria into it.

"Now you wait here while I do some other business okay? I will be back." With that Rowan ran somewhere out of Maria's sight.

Maria wasn't ready for this, she wanted to jump off from the wagon and follow him but a heavy weez from deeper inside the wagon caught her attention. The source of the noise was the only person other than her in the wagon. She was an elderly elf, laying on the wooden floor, her skin was pale and wrinkled like raisin. Her body was thin and Maria could see the shape of the bones clearly. Maria heard about elf being able to live much longer than human, if that's true then this one must be a very old elf.

"W-water..." The elder let out another weeze before entering a fit of coughs. Maria spotted some basic nursing stuffs on the corner of the wagon. After that she helped the elder drink the water, then gave her some massages so she can relax. After the elder calmed down from her coughs she fell asleep, and Maria followed suit due to exhaustion.

EndEffector EndEffector EccentricFantasy EccentricFantasy

Cydonis watched as Aden dropped his head, palpable waves of disquietude distilling otherwise calm waters. He set a heavy palm on Aden's shoulder, grasping for his attention. Cydonis released the tension in his visage and affirmed, nodding along, that the Companion Guard will devote their lives to this endeavour. They were about 10 elves of harsh bearing, varying ages and background, though united under one banner. All were veterans of the Last Yard Battle - the final siege that took the King's life. Under nectar-weeping trees, through blood-curdling screams, these men fought with the vigour of falcons in their hearts. Alas, their former country now but a grave's name. They stood in this tent but had locked themselves into a tinier world, not revealing the ailments that haunts their sleep nightly.

"Talk eats our sunlight hours," Aden said, quoting a proverb Cydonis had known as a child. Aden then rose and summoned the warriors a gesture of respect, returned with the mild bows of their heads. "Begin sorting the wagons," Aden said. "I'll announce our departure." They glimpsed Aden make egress, Cydonis gave the order, and their duties were reformed. The caravan's Front Guard was bustling with soldierly undertaking as troops were assigned to their 'sticks'. A cavalry of ten soldiers and twenty footmen accompanied the Rear Guard, twenty bowmen marched alongside the Centre, and twenty militia formed the Front Guard. Cydonis' Companion Guard were mounted on noble steeds and would provide support. Altogether, the caravan was 100+ strong, with eighty trained soldiers to encourage its wearisome passage and fend off any predators that were seeking to feast on the long banquet.

Cydonis gripped his belt, the tassels on his kilt swayed as he approached Gore, the sun in his eyes and breeze through his hair. Cydon then reattached the knight's helm to his kilt, knotting its tether on his belt. He then tied his hair into a headscarf and clambered atop Gore, a stony gaze washing over the broken camp. As Cydonis was about to make his canter, his companion rode up beside him. The Front Man himself - Cricket. Cricket was a former Clan Champion and led his warriors into many battles. He was the scout that brought Cydonis' men out from the labyrinth and had skirmished the minions during their guerilla campaign.

"O, you; my lowland brother," he spoke. "This is no time for amnesia, and what glue would hold us together now if not the soil of the Old Country?" he looked out to the troops milling about their commitments. They understood the silence between them. Cydonis lowly uttered, "she still lies in all the slain wild beasts, the plains elk, and the wind of the grassland breathed in her lungs..." Cydonis reviewed for the millionth time the night King Dondar was felled to his knees. "And their sightless eyes of a honeydew sun." Cricket gave a solemn nod but never betrayed his stoic mien, and remained for a moment before trotting into formation. Cydonis took a deep breath and donned his equipment, hauling his greatsword over his back for the first time in years.

Gore cantered upon a steep mound with graceful ease, stamping her hooves into the morning dew like thunder. Cydonis drew his greatsword with a sliding rasp which chimed into a brief song before setting its tip into the ground. He looked down, examining its admirable steel and divergent craftsmanship. He turned the blade over and studied its luminescent sheen. His sword was so sharp that it seemed to shed splinters of light itself. Cydon engaged the muscles in his arms and launched the greatsword into mighty circular motions, swinging it four times around his head.

"CARAVNEERS, LISTEN IN!" he boomed, his voice gruff and raspy, strained through years of yelling orders and shouting commands. Cydonis would then notice the Rear Guard and begin sorting the wagons, directing his grand vociferations with the effortless swings of his sword. "Rear Guard, hear me!" they cheered and a banner was raised. He watched as some group families flocked to them. "Centre Guard!" he yelled, and another banner was raised. A majority of the caravan would be based here with some able-bodied elves, arming swords pinned to their waists, spilled into the rear. The Centre were mostly elders, their families, and children. If need be, the front and rear guards could collapse and surround the Centre. "Front Guard, fall in!" and militiamen armed with spears and javelins marched into formation. The rowdier, most daring elves with experience in scouting or pathfinding volunteered to accompany the Front Guard and fight if need be. Cydonis opposed this but their confidence shone through. Cricket sat atop his mount on the right flank and looked down the line. The Companion Guard rode their horses up and down the caravan, assigning one of themselves to each Guard formation, and exercising questions into answers as the wagons were readied for departure.

The remaining Companion Guard filled in the gaps, some eager young elves in tow, and Cydonis sheathed the greatsword on his back.

"Elves, to me! The caravan begins!" he heard Aden's voice echo through the wind. He made a mental snapshot of the wagoneers before engaging Gore's stride back to the caravan. Cydonis approached from the south to meet with the Rear Guard.

With a great deal of shouting, the caravan finally started upon it's journey. Soldiers shout and strut around displaying their importance.

Fletcher would sometimes let Embari sit on one of the horses while he led it. She loved to the 'ride' the horse by herself. Their horses are very calm, which makes them perfect for Embari to ride. But in amongst the cacophony and chaos of the caravan, it is too dangerous for her to be on one of the horses without either Sybil or him. So today she was riding with him.

Sybil had been quiet since breakfast. He knew that the presence of the arrogant Notchish hunter had bothered her. Sometimes people want to talk about something, but they need a nudge,

"What's the matter?" He asks.

"Nothing." replied Sybil distantly.

"Nothing?"

Sybil turns away briefly and looks into the distance.

"A danger lurks in the periphery of my mind, just beyond perception. It is a disquiet. A thing wrong. Unnatural."

Fletcher furrowed his brow. Sybil was not given to irrational fears or flights of fancy. This was not something to be dismissed.

"Is this something to do with the hunter?" Fletcher asked,

"No, I..." Once more the starsight came to her, and she spoke with a distant voice and looked to the world beyond, "There is a great evil that hides within the caravan. It has a purpose. It seeks to weaken the caravan, make people desperate, to achieve it's purpose. It will begin with the raptors. The hunter thinks he controls his them, but the evil will use them to sow fear and mistrust."

Last edited:
Aden Stonewood~

The Caravan began with a slow, but persistent pace. Along the great road which wound its way north with the wending course of the river, the rattle of wagon wheels and the stamp of hooves mingled with the excited chatter from all. Children laughed and sang traveling songs as their fathers stamped along on the kickboards of their wagons. Though the going was slow, and the sun seemed to outpace them, none could deny the thrill that swept over the long procession of travelers. Astride tall Elk bucks, those refugees trained enough to bear arms, rode as perimeter lookouts, their eyes ever on the shadowy margins of the great wood that rolled along to the west. The night previous a family that had struck their camp close to the woods claimed to have heard wolfsong, but no sign of the beasts had been seen so far. The beasts in the caravan were restless, but some wondered if wolves in the forest were to blame, or if it were the presence of the raptor pack. The Lothani archer seemed to keep the creatures on a tight leash, but most were still wary, the elkherds in particular.

Aden spent the better part of the day moving from the driving seat of his wagon to move about the caravan, checking up on the various families, before returning to take the reins back from Demri. By the time the sun had begun it's long slow decline towards the forest, throwing flaming orange light over the treetops, they had made good progress, but the northern border was still a few days off.

Aden summoned up a few of his young runners and told them to spread the news that the caravan would make camp for the night.

In the forest, a lonely wolf howled.

Ace Cream Ace Cream

As the caravan traveled, Juriel simply sat atop the wagons, moving about them as he pleased. His pack stayed posted where he set them up on. They were on guard, but he had trained them as such. That being said, the fact that the others in the caravan were so scared of them was not shocking. Field Raptors were a known aggressive species. Smarter and more deadly than a pack of wolves. Ir was not something he was unaware of, but as far as he could see, there was no reall issue. His pack was well behaved and looked at him as the leader. Pack mentality dictated that they listen to his every word. So long as he was the pack leader, they would be fine.

As the caravan stopped and the runners informed them of camping, he jumped down and signalled the pack. They ran to him as he set up their camp. Making sure to stay away from the group as to not scare them with his pack. He set up a simple tent, large enough to hold him and all five of his raptors. The tent was a tarp above, but the sides were all bug nettings. This was because being enclosed was uncomfortable for the raptors.

As he lit a fire in the center of his large tent, the raptors were sent to get them a meal. He could see that the others looked over and when they didn't see the pack, got tense. Something was far less terrifying if you could keep an eye on it. That being said, right now the feral wolves were the biggest concern. However, wolves would not come near upon smelling his pack. Unless they had large enough numbers.

The pack returned with a kill. Several wild boars that had been rooting near by. Enough to share. He made quick work of them. Giving the raptors their share and still having much more left over that he could not eat himself. Juriel sighed a bit. He knew few would be willing to come into the tent to share a meal. The five raptors eating all around him made that hard for most.

As he skewered the remaining meat and placed them around the fire to cook slowly, he turned his head to see the two young elves that he agreed to train in hunting. Maybe they would share in this meal? He stood up and left the tent, walking over to the other elves "Forgive my sudden approach. I was just preparing a meal that my lovely raptors hunted for us. It seems they broyght too many boars back for just me to eat alone. Would you two care for a meal with me and my pack?" he motioned to the tent. Each of his pack laying down and eating from their own pile. Some chewing through the organs and others ripping the minimal meat from heads. Fiila, the smallest of the raptors was the only one standing. Using her legs to stabilize a large piece of the boars leg and pulling it apart.

The others were giving side glances. Fear and distrust tainting their sight as most of them probably have never seen raptors eat. It wasn't exactly something normal people saw, but Juriel seemed totally undisturbed by it. Even preparing a meal to eat with them.

Rowan/Maria

"Here's the porridge." Rowan approached the sick wagon and handed two bowls of steaming porridge to Maria. "Damn, I let you by yourself for a few hours and you adopted a grandmother."

"Husssssh!" Maria put a finger in front of her lips with scorning looks. "Don't say that. Mrs. Galliospe just got abandoned by her family so I want to keep her company."

At this point Juriel approached and offered them to join on his dinner with his raptors. Maria jumped a bit when she heard the word raptors but otherwise she tried to keep her reaction in check, meanwhile Rowan didn't seems unfazed at all.

"Oh, meat? Sure I would love to join!" Rowan said as he approached the hunter.

"I-I'm going to tend to Mrs. Galliospe here and wouldn't be able to join." Maria answered nervously as she jumped into the sick wagon to put the porridge down. She peeked out of the curtain and glanced between Juriel and Rowan. "B-but can I get some of the meat?"

"Allright. I will bring some when I come back. Let's go, mister Juriell. Meat! Meat! I can't wait!" Rowan seemed to be in a high spirit. It had been a long time since he last ate a meat so the thought of it made his mouth water.

EccentricFantasy EccentricFantasy

Aden Stonewood~ EccentricFantasy EccentricFantasy Ace Cream Ace Cream

As dusk settled over the camp, Aden made the first of many nightly patrols through the camp. All around, Elves sat huddled by the light of small cooking fires, each small pod preparing what food they had. Meat, porridge, potatoes, mealcakes. Some gathered with wives and children other's with the more makeshift families they had begun to form for the journey. A few neighboring wagons gathered together, sharing stories and heritages in hushed conversation. All were weary after a first long and uneventful day's journey, but he was pleased to see that spirits were still high.

Juriell, the strange hunter, seemed to have taken the young upstart Aden had chastised that morning under his wing. Though Aden had been skeptical of the Noctish elf when he first arrived with the pack of slavering lizards in tow, he was pleased to see that the young elf had found someone with some survival experience to latch onto, if only for the sake of that girl that followed on his heels like a lost puppy.

Aden approached the trio, smelling the roasting pork that wafted from the hunter's cooking spit.

"Good hunting, eh?" he said, nodding towards the searing loin that dripped fat into the low flames. Beyond the firelight, he could make out the gleaming eyes of the raptors where they perched in the tall grass like some kind of large scaly birds. The cold, calculating stare of the emotionless eyes made him nervous. He had spent enough time in the woods and wild roads of the world to know the perceptive gaze of a true predator. The hunter seemed to keep the pack under tight control, but Aden couldn't help but wonder how tenuous that control might be.

"How long have you had these...creatures?" he asked, trying his best not to let uncertainty cloud his words.

Demri Stonewood~
Demri strode across the campground towards the central ring where the families with children had been set up at Cydonis' command. Bright conversation and firelight met her as she moved into the sheltered ring of wagons and cookfires. A few children from neighboring families ran to and fro, playing games of stick swat with long willow switches. Demri smiled, pleased to see them bonding so quickly. She knew the young ones would need support as the road grew long. As she approached one of the wagons, a wide affair with a neatly woven rug hanging across the back entrance against the wind, she saw a pair of adolescent elves standing and talking in hushed tones, a boy with a shaggy mop of black hair from the neighboring wagon and a girl with long flaxen braids. They were young, barely out of their teens, but Demri could read the blooming adulthood in their conversation as clearly as a page in a book.

"Elma, is your mother inside?" The healer asked the girl as she approached. The girl turned sharply at the sound of her name, her cheeks flushing fiercely.

"Huh? Oh! Elder Stonewood," she bowed her head demurely. Demri's mouth ticked at being called elder, being only a handful of years older than the girl, but took it as an acknowledgement of her office rather than her age. "Yes, mother is inside, she's tired from the journey."

"Will she mind if I check on her?" Demri inquired. The girl shook her head, her braids swinging as she did so. "I think she'll be pleased. She spent most of the day resting in the wagon, so she'll be blessed by the company."

Demri smiled in thanks and climbed into the cart, shooting the elf boy a meaningful stare as she did so.

Elvina Talloak was nestled comfortably in the back of the family wagon upon a sheep's wool cushion. The blanket she was busily weaving out of long strands of dyed wool draped down across her round belly. At fifty, Elvina had already born two children, Elma and her young son, Pelam, now she grew heavier by the day with twins. She glanced up from her work as Demri entered, her oval face framed by hair the same flaxen color as her daughter's. Her Adani features were strong.

"Elder Stonewood!" she smiled, her voice pleasant but weary. "I didn't expect you back so soon!" Demri had introduced herself to the expectant mother that morning before the caravan had set out.

"Call me Demri, please," the young healer replied, kneeling beside her patient. "I wanted to see how you felt after the first day on the road. It's is a long day to be in a bumpy cart when you are with child."

Elvina smiled and set aside her knitting.

"I'm tired," she replied. "But the wagon doesn't bother me anymore. I carried and delivered Elma and Pelam both in the back of this wagon."

Demri nodded, impressed with the mother's resilience.

"I'm going to be seeking out an assistant among the members of the caravan," she said. "I have several mother's set to have their babies before we cross the steppe. I think you will probably be the soonest. These babies might come before we even leave the human kingdoms."

Elvina's eyes dropped.

"I had hoped that these babies might not be born until we reached the new homeland," she said wistfully. "But it took us too long to prepare and the early winter delayed us from joining last year's caravan."

Demri was about to respond when a sudden commotion erupted somewhere outside the wagon. A woman's voice was crying out in some distress.

"Asher!? Asher!? Has anyone seen my son?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back