• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
‘But we can’t talk in the meetings.’ Any discussion between them, it seemed, was something to be ‘settled amongst themselves’. And Kylo wouldn’t want to defer, but they had been, effectively, silenced. Perhaps they ought to challenge it, but he could imagine how that might make Kylo feel, too, if he sensed everyone’s judgment.

“I really don’t think you’re Kylo’s type, Ariel.” Gnaeus stated bluntly, “and not because of the ginger thing.” Although Kylo didn’t have a good track record with one particular ginger. Still, he got on well enough with Ariel. As well as he probably could, given Ariel’s self-destructive tendencies along with her promiscuity.

They really should try to help her more, rather than encourage her…but they were all a bit too fucked up themselves to try. If Ariel found something that worked, who were they to take it from her?

“But maybe you’re Gideon’s,” he said, if only to help her a bit, as she said she was going to go shower for him. At least Ariel had something to be excited for. Gnaeus was just going to have a bunch of artifacts to look over. And he’d try to do his best, although he wasn’t really sure what point there was to it right then.

Did it fit into their scheme of war? They had so many starships and troops for it, was a few objects really going to help?

Wouldn’t Snoke have already been using them?

He smiled a bit at the squeeze, “I’ll join you.” He wouldn’t guarantee he’d drink, somehow that seemed ill-advised here, but he could at least keep Ariel company and make sure she got to bed. Or to a med-bay.

~***~

There was an association, although it took Hux a moment. He likely didn’t have too many positive names to pull from, but there had been one from early on. Mira didn’t bother to fight back the grin that pulled on her lips as she wondered what a young Hux would try to sneak to get washed. However, he didn’t say it, so she wouldn’t attempt to pressure it from him right then.

She would keep it in mind, though. Did he have a lucky shirt his father hated?

“It was well enough. I didn’t get much sleep but that’s my own fault. I stayed up with Finn. He has a lightsaber now,” probably not news that Hux really wanted to hear. Finn with a lightsaber probably just sounded like another threat with a deadly weapon that could cut through doors. Still, Mira was pleased that Finn was progressing, and it explained the lack of sleep in a semi-reasonable way.

It wasn’t because of the wound, or because of nightmares, this time.

She’d slept well enough when she did sleep.

Although there was still something….

“I am sure we can convince the team here to forward the information to the First Order medical staff.” She wouldn’t mind a second opinion, although she imagined the First Order might be less…hopeful. They might immediately suggest a cybernetic eye or something of the sort. Though, that would put an end to the waiting, which was still annoying her about this entire situation.

She could move on if she knew it was hopeless.

“I’m pretty sure it’s the ginger thing,” Ariel insisted, despite knowing full well that was probably the lowest thing on Kylo’s list of reasons not to be into her. Not just Kylo’s, but anyone’s, probably. “But maybe I’ll be Gideon’s type,” she echoed Gnaeus’s words. Or maybe she’d just get him to drink with her until she was his type. She’d have to make sure the alcohol she’d ask Kylo for would be strong, if she and Gideon made it that far.

She did smile as Gnaeus agreed to join her, “I knew I could count on you. It’ll be nice, I know what looking at that artifact shit does to you.” Especially Sith artifacts. Ariel was fairly certain they were made for the very purpose to give someone a migraine when they were looked at for too long.

They’d finally wound up back at their rooms, and Paquin's door was closed. Ariel tried to reach out through the Force, see how she was feeling, but Ariel didn’t particularly pick anything up. Maybe she’d fallen asleep already.

Oh, how Ariel worried about these people. Paquin, Kylo, Gnaeus. Gnaeus, who she turned to with a sudden seriousness. “I don’t mean to get mushy, but...if you ever need to talk to me, you can. I won’t...make jokes or anything. I know I’m too fucked up to be a therapist, but, just let me know if anything ever gets to be too much.” There’d been a notable change in Gnaeus since he lost his hand. It was understandable, but she didn’t want it to get worse.

“I need you to stay the sane one,” she playfully punched his shoulder. “Alright, that’s enough touchy-feely stuff. I have a rep to maintain and stuff to do.”

-

“Oh great. Another blade wielder to watch out for,” Hux complained flatly, only half-hearted. “Can’t even say at least it’s on my side, for I know Finn is waiting for half the chance to off me,” Hux was not mistaken about that. He knew his and Finn’s tolerance for each other was purely based on their relationships with Mira and their alliance, however long it would last, between the Order and the Resistance.

Hux couldn’t particularly blame Finn, though. Hux could acknowledge his own...lackings.

“Well, good for him. And good for you. It just goes to show that you have a talent for teaching,” Hux allowed. Finn had seemed to progress rather quickly if he could make a lightsaber. Then again, Hux didn’t know anything about the Force.

He’d just believe Mira was good at what she was doing.

“I’m certain they’ll take offense to it no matter what, but I think it would be a good idea to get additional opinions. And if my medics can’t find a helpful solution, we’ll look elsewhere.” The galaxy was too big for the only options to be blind or have a cybernetic eye. Or for her scars to be permanent. Though, Hux wasn’t hung up on them. She wasn’t changed in his eyes. Those thoughts bordered on something dangerous, of course. But the point was, she would look at herself differently.

She would look at herself through one eye. Hux didn’t imagine that to be a pleasant feeling, and he only wanted her to be satisfied.

“How is...General Organa doing?” He couldn’t help but pity her. Unlike with him and his father, Leia actually loved Ren.

Gnaeus gave a small smile as Ariel expressed her understanding. She would know, better than any of the others. Besides the tediousness of it, some of the things left behind were…not kind. Momin’s mask was an example of that, and interacting with them could cause pain, discomfort, illness, or all sorts of things, even under careful care. Gnaeus was anticipating being in a bit of a foul mood near the end of it all.

Yet, it was apparently needed.

Just not for Paquin, who wasn’t offering much of a presence in the Force. Gnaeus also, instinctively, tried to reach out for her and get a sense of how she was. He sighed on finding nothing, and then let his gaze cut back to Ariel as she said she didn’t want to get mushy – but wanted to offer him a shoulder of sorts.

“Yeah, if I need it,” he wouldn’t. He was tired of his own internal complaints. He didn’t need to hear it aloud. He didn’t want Ariel to try and empathize or offer solutions.

She couldn’t bring back his arm.

She couldn’t bring back Ana.

But Paquin might at least figure out how to bring back his arm – although Kylo seemed to want to steep her in the bureaucratic bullshit of this Order. Not that he blamed him, entirely, but still…Gnaeus knew it was delaying some of Paquin’s understanding. Perhaps that was what she was most upset about.

“Go on and get ready. I’ll be here when you get back, or when you get done with Gideon,” whichever came first, he supposed – she might want to fuck right after all of this. Battle highs did crazy things.

~***~

Finn would have probably killed Hux, if it weren’t for Mira. Mira could only hope that the two wouldn’t end up at each other’s throats one day, if she ended up…well, dying. It was more and more a possibility, and with her current losses, she couldn’t really deny that possibility. Kylo Ren wanted her dead. Kylo Ren wanted Leia dead.

Plus, he had killed Snoke, and Han, already.

She wouldn’t dwell on Finn, though. Hux could at least be proud of what she’d accomplished – what skill she had to teach.

Mira still sighed and shook her head a bit at Hux’s determination, which somehow seemed to mimic Finn in the moment, and his insistence on how Mira could overcome those things which had stood in her path with the Force for, well, all her life. Perhaps there was more out there, they had an entire galaxy to go through, but, “It can wait, if your staff and the Resistance can’t figure anything out.”

She had learned to live with much else she didn’t like. She would continue to adapt to all that she disliked. This was just another in the long line of ways she’d fucked up her life.

Leia, though….

“If it weren’t for the stone, I imagine I would still be able to feel Leia easily,” Mira said. Not that it was hard, but when she wasn’t trying, it was still abnormal. Leia didn’t have a presence that flared in the Force.

She kept to herself.

“She’s hurt,” that was the best way to put it. She was sad, she was angry, she was guilty, she was a terrible cluster of emotions that the word ‘hurt’ embodied, in Mira’s mind. “But I know she’s still determined to help the galaxy,” there would be compromises from her. From Hux. But hopefully, they would come up with something better. They had started on it.

They just had to complete it, now. “I think it’ll be okay.” Leia was good at keeping it together. “Though I don’t think even you’d blame her if she wanted to murder all of us after this session.” Perhaps the question was if she’d want to murder Hux, Luke, or August more.

Mira didn’t think she was in the top 3, at least.

‘If I need it,' she couldn’t help but mimic him in her head, for she knew what that really meant. He wouldn’t, most likely. So she’d just have to make sure he was alright. Check in every once in a while. She knew just how quickly things could turn, or how bad they could get. She knew it would probably be hard for her favorite people to believe, but she’d been worse than she was now.

She may have had majorly unaddressed mental health and addiction issues, but at least she wasn’t actively trying to die.

She did smile though, “No promises on which will come first.” She couldn’t even tell if Gideon was into her or not. “Hey, keep an eye on Miss Pouty in there while we’re gone? I’d be mad about having to work with Alsen, too,” though that wasn’t what Paquin was upset about.

Ariel didn’t really know exactly what she was upset about.

She just knew she wanted to tease Paquin about it all, but that wasn’t going to happen. She probably wouldn’t get to check on her before they left either. It might be good for both Gnaeus and Paquin if they used each other for some interference. A break. “I’ll see you later. Wish us, mainly me, luck.” And then Ariel slipped into her room, which she’d only leave a few moments later with an armful of her old armor to change into.

She hoped this would go as smoothly as the others seemed to think.

-

Hux did have to roll his eyes at her dismissal of seeking treatment. He wasn’t sure if it was because she was genuinely disinterested, or if maybe she was scared to find out that there might not be anything to be done. Or maybe she was putting all of the recent events ahead of her injuries. She said they could wait, but she didn’t know that. None of them did.

For all they knew, it could’ve been time sensitive.

But he’d have a chance to push later.

“I wouldn’t expect her to be anything less than hurt,” Leia was certainly a tough person, he’d give her that. Nor did he expect anything less than her trying to do what was best for the galaxy. She’d overcome much from the Galactic Empire days, beyond that, all to be where she was that day. Hux couldn’t say he’d ever truly agree with her, but he could respect her dedication. Her tenacity.

“I kind of want to see her murder someone. That would be quite a show,” perhaps not entirely appropriate for what they were trying to accomplish. “I think my odds of avoiding her wrath might be decent. She probably won’t murder her own brother, but with Tarkin here I might not be at the top of her list. For once,” his attempt at a joke, lightening the mood. Though there was some truth to it. Hux had blown up planets, many of them, but at least he hadn’t blown up Alderaan with Leia’s family on it.

To be fair, August hadn’t either. Wilhuff had. Her own biological father had. But August still had the name, which Leia obviously still held resentment for.

“I just hope we can actually get something done. Organize some sort of system to propose, before Ren can get on his feet.”

Gnaeus nodded, “I’ll do my best,” he said, and he meant it. He didn’t want Paquin to have to deal with Alsen alone, at least. He could look at the artifacts and be around Paquin, and be aware of what was going on. Somewhat. “Good luck,” he added, at Ariel’s request.

Though he couldn’t help but remember how earlier they’d been told ‘may the Force be with you’ after he said it. That was still an oddity of this place. Not bad, but still…strange.

Gnaeus would slip back into his room, and mess around on his datapad a bit more. He probably should get cleaned up, but he wanted to see the list of people in the Final Order that he could potentially reach out to. They had indicated scientists and others were involved, and he was sure that meant some of them were involved with the artifacts.

He sought titles that would indicate as much.

Only to receive, a couple of hours later, a pop up message from one of them, informing him that they had received some of the artifacts and he was welcome to come down and see them. A map was offered.

Gnaeus got up – he planned to shower first, then go tell Paquin and invite her along. He grabbed a change of clothes, rather than armor.

By the time he’d get back from the shower, Paquin would already have news of her own.

~***~

No one, at least, was expecting Leia to be immediately put together and prepared to deal with everything. They were all expecting her hurt. They were likely expecting some show of it, some lashing out, or bitterness, to shine through in the discussions, no matter how much she’d try to stay reasonable and on topic. Leia was tough – but Leia was also, very human.

“Well, she did slay Jabba the Hutt,” a rather infamous story that had earned Leia the nickname ‘Hutt-slayer’ in some circles. Like her son was the ‘Jedi Killer’. Witnessing that had, apparently, been quite the show. Mira wasn’t sure they’d ever see anything half as interesting, but Leia murdering someone would still be quite the sight.

Even with a blaster, at range.

“I think that we can get something done before we invoke too much wrath, from anyone,” Leia wasn’t the only one to worry about. If Mace showed up, there was that. There was also Poe – assuming he was let into the meeting. Hux could have a temper.

August was questionable, he did politics all his life, it seemed, but Mira didn’t think that excluded him from snapping. He was just the least likely, in her opinion. “Kylo Ren inherited whatever’s left of Snoke’s resources, and he wasn’t prepared for this.” Unlike Hux, who had been training for this day, Snoke had never prepared any of them to take over.

It was…assumed that they wouldn’t until many years down the line. If that.

She didn’t have much faith in Kylo succeeding. She imagined chaos reigning for a bit, as Kylo fought with those he was assigned to lead.

~***~

Kylo had spent his time going through the lists. The planets, first and foremost. He tagged Eriadu, Seswenna, Tepasi, the unnamed-planet in Wild Space with kyber that Mira and the Order had taken, and Coruscant. Those for reasons of spite, and morale, more than anything, although at least one had a resource.

He also tagged a few for resources – Bespin, Kril’Dor, Abafar, Kessel, Vandor, Jiruus, and Ertegas – food was, as always, something of a necessity. Kylo supposed. He also noted that Ertegas had a moon of crystals ,which if it wasn’t mined completely, could still be useful. This would at least get them started, once they had Kamino back in their hands.

He did also tag a few planets they already held, notably Arkanis, as ones they should increase security on. Ones they should make it clear, they held. That was wholly spite, even if he didn’t think Hux had any reason to care for Arkanis, he still knew Hux would read it as personal. That’s all he really wanted from that.

Maybe they could turn Arkanis into a weapons testing site or something. He didn’t really care what was done with it.

In either case, he would forward the list on to Paquin and to Alsen, to indicate he was finished with this portion of it and had tagged the planets he thought were notable. They could narrow it down from there.

Next was allies, though he wasn’t sure how far he’d get with that before he was called away by Galli.

Paquin had been quick to fall asleep when she returned to her room, having thought much about her disagreement with Kylo on. She wished she could say she slept well but, again, she slept with some difficulty. She didn’t have any more strange dreams, but an anxiousness settled in her chest and kept her from resting properly. She would credit that to the feeling of unfinished business with Kylo.

Despite the unpleasant quality of her sleep, she did nap for a few hours, having not set an alarm before her head hit the pillow. It took her a couple moments to really wake up before she moved, rolling over to glimpse at her datapad .She had two messages, one from Alsen, but the one she tried to focus on was from Kylo, eyes too blurry from sleep to make out the time it was sent.

Paquin frowned as she sat up, for she’d hoped he’d come to see here and give her an opportunity to speak with him. She wanted to apologize to him for running off, for not giving him a chance to explain. And she wanted to try to get him to understand where she was coming from. If she could put it into words.

Maybe she could still catch him before he left, she didn’t want him to go out there with them being upset at each other. Assuming he hadn’t left already, and she tried to feel for him the way he’d told her to the night before.

Only, she felt Gnaeus first. She grabbed her datapad and quickly tried to run her free hand through some curls to tame them before she went out, though she was certain it would be settled in a mess for the day. “Gnaeus,” she seemed to have caught him coming back from the shower. “Do you know if Ariel and Kylo have left yet?”

-

Even Hux would have to admit, he thought it would be quite the experience to see Leia kill Jabba the Hutt. Small as she was, Hux didn’t doubt her capabilities. She could be quite the opponent. It would’ve been amusing to see someone as...notorious as Jabba the Hutt to have suffered such a fate. Though, he wasn’t sure how glorifying of a moment it was for Leia, given some details around that capture.

Hux could at least believe they could all be adults and handle each other’s anger for one another to get something done. Even if they required recesses. He wasn’t unaccustomed to those. They all knew they were gathering for a purpose greater than them.

“Kylo Ren’s unprepared, but you and I both know he isn’t simple.” Hux pointed out. “He is rash and hard to work with, which will hopefully work to our advantage. But I don’t doubt it’ll only be a matter of time before he figures out how to expand.” Whatever form that might come in. Hux just knew it would likely be aggressive. Perhaps because of that, it wouldn’t be long standing.

But only time could tell.

Luckily, Kylo only had what was left of the clones, wherever they were. And Kamino was locked. And, “With any luck, he’s down two Knights.” The redhead had been bleeding out and he certainly hadn’t missed the medic. At least one of them had to have kicked it. Well, they'd have time to worry about him later, after they fixed the mess that was the New Republic.

“Have you put much thought to what you want discussed today? The role you wish the Grey Jedi to be involved in?” Hux asked. Perhaps it would be seen as a bit unfair, but Hux would easily push her agenda if it were to fit into the discussion that day. Though, he suspected much would focus on the basics, first.

-

Ariel took her time in the shower, time that was very much needed. She’d rid herself of the feeling of being in the medbay, tamed her hair. Though, she did find it rather creepy that the Final Order knew the sorts of things she used in the shower, but it was probably the least strange thing about the place.

She twisted her hair into one long braid while it was still damp, so it would have some style to it later and functionality in the present.

With some time to spare, she went on a mission to find, of all things, makeup. She didn’t mess with it all that often, but she thought it might benefit her to spice things up a bit after her first impression with Gideon. Perhaps it was frivolous and silly that she was excited by something as simple as trying to get laid, but...well, she didn’t get to be excited for much nowadays. Nothing positive.

But she did surprisingly get her hands on makeup easy enough, thanks to asking a few officers. It was very simple, nothing as enticing as a red lip, but it would do.The eye makeup would probably get smudged, but Ariel thought it would add to her whole vibe. She wondered if makeup was regulated in environments like this. Something she’d ask Paquin about later.

With her makeup done and nothing else to do, all that was left was to bully Kylo until they had to go. Which wouldn’t be too long, evidently, as she received a message on her way back to the conference room. “Break time, time to blow some ships out of the sky!” Ariel sang as she slid into the room, throwing herself into a seat. “Are you done having an attitude yet?”

Gnaeus paused as Paquin came hurrying out of her room. He hadn’t even gotten to knock yet. He shook his head, but then spoke, to clarify, “I don’t know,” he wasn’t to be told, unless Ariel wanted him to know, actually. “I have only received word about the artifacts. I was going to ask if you wanted to sit with me while I go over them.”

She could invite Alsen to the same area.

He could keep an eye on her, and on Alsen, that way. He could also interrupt if he felt a need, or call Paquin over, to help teach her a couple of other things. Plus, if her business with Alsen finished sooner – which he anticipated it would – then she would be able to join him without disturbing him too much.

“You could reach out to Ariel,” he knew better than to suggest she reach out directly to Kylo Ren after the way they parted. Ariel, at least, would provide an answer that wouldn’t be filtered through any bitterness or lingering resentment for the way the end of meeting events were handled, and orders given.

~***~

Kylo Ren could get a substantial amount done just by being an angry bastard. Mira couldn’t deny him that, but she hoped it wouldn’t be much. She hoped the complications of his rise to power, his lack of preparation, and those who had been in command under Snoke, made his life difficult. She hoped he would fail, because if he didn’t, then Mira knew, as Hux did, that it would be an aggressive takeover from him.

Mira shook her head, though, “He has all his Knights.” Mira may not have felt Paquin well through the Force, that was true, but she thought she’d just know if the unity was broken further. At least she knew that Ariel and Gnaeus were still around. They had failed to kill any of them on Korriban.

As for the future, though….

“Governor Tarkin planned to create a special council to determine whether or not Force sensitive organizations even have a role in the Senate,” Mira recalled. “Not that we’re doing a Senate any longer, going forward,” She folded her arms across her chest, thinking. She didn’t want them involved in politics, and yet…, “I want the majority of Force organizations to have the same things, excluding the Sith and the Knights of Ren, which are open threats to anything we would try to create.”

The Sith wanted total power. No one could deny that. The Knights were simply their opponents now.

“Whatever we discuss, we have to determine what groups are outside the scope, what groups are within it, and whether they truly need to have a political role,” she said, adding, “I don’t think they do, but I suspect it may not go that way.”

She suspected that despite how August spoke in the Senate to remove the chair, his willingness to consider compromise was more the truth. He’d prefer open conflict in the Senate about the Force, to nothing. Not that this was the Senate…but options made it difficult for one to seize power. “I don’t know where things like the Gray Jedi or Nightsisters fit into what we originally began to map with General Organa, though.”

Once they actually had that figured out, perhaps it would become obvious.

“I still want the information about the organizations to be more…open, in any case.”

~***~

Kylo was going through the new lists of allies when the message came through from Galli. When Ariel walked into the room. He was rising from his seat at that time, and gave her an irritated look for the question. That was likely answer enough, but of course he made it worse by saying, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Which, of course, he didn’t.

Well, he did – but anger was pretty common to him so he wasn’t considering this an ‘attitude’.

He did do a double-take, recognizing that Ariel was wearing make-up. “Really?” That couldn’t wait until after the mission? The eyeshadow might bother her eye while she was flying. Still, he wouldn’t bother saying anymore than that as he turned back towards the door, “Come on, Admiral Galli just sent a message.” No time for her to linger in a seat, and he’d wait in the doorway for her to get back up and follow along.

It was time to head to a shuttle, and see how these ships, and these TIE fighters, truly operated.

Kylo was much more eager for that, than he was eager to continue reading up on his allies. He’d just started and he was already too tired to continue with that sort of nonsense. Besides, he had two days to learn what sort of charlatans he was dealing with, and try to figure out how to convince them they wanted to bet on him, over Hux.

Over Hux, and Tarkin, and Mira, and Leia.

How had they all come together?

How were they actually managing this?

“That would be nice,” Paquin did comment on his offer to sit with him while he attended to the artifacts. She wouldn’t get to go through them herself, but it was a happy medium. If Kylo was going to have her go through this stuff with Alsen, she could make the Colonel sit where she wanted to.

Unfortunately, though, Gnaeus knew nothing about whether or not Kylo and Ariel had left or not. She would take Gnaeus’s advice and reach out to Ariel as opposed to Kylo. She typed a quick message asking where they were, if they’d already gone. She supposed she shouldn’t expect a response if they had left, they’d probably be occupied. But a response came soon enough from the redhead.

‘Leaving now. Do you want to meet us in the hangar? I can walk really slow.’

Paquin replied with a simple yes, despite a frown etching itself across her face as it seemed Kylo really didn’t have any intentions of smoothing things over before he left. She supposed she wasn’t surprised, it was Kylo after all. But what if something happened to him? And the last conversation they had together was arguing?

With that thought, she grabbed Gnaeus’s good hand and began to pull him along with her to the hangar. She supposed she didn’t really have any reason to drag him along besides her intentions to hang around him after. Though, his presence was always nice. He was very reasonable.

-

“How?” Was all Hux could mumble under his breath in response to Mira claiming all the Knights were alive. That did irritate him the slightest bit. For one, he’d aimed for revenge with the one he shot, and to think she didn’t even die afterwards. And because he was sure Phasma had hit the redhead in a few detrimental places, so how exactly had either of them survived?

Ugh. Something he couldn’t concern himself with for the moment.

He’d rather focus on listening to Mira.

“I’d have to agree with you on the political involvement,” he mentioned. “Of course, I have little knowledge of how the Force works, but I believe from historical evidence, Force influence is a dangerous thing.” Palpatine, Vader. Kylo Ren. Hell, Mira could invade his mind without breaking a sweat, no doubt, if it weren’t for the void stone. Or for the fact that they were friends.

He supposed he could see where Roisin would think as much.

“I do, however, think that there should be representation for such Force sensitive groups. And that they should be given consideration in certain decisions.” He supposed he could only compare it to how schools and academies are funded, or other institutions. They had say in things that pertained to them, they received funding to keep things afloat. Hux thought Force education was important for those few, or many, that were out there. And it needed to be something flexible.

“And perhaps something like...peace keeping...could be considered,” it hadn’t worked well in the past, but the circumstances were different. The Jedi held entirely too much power, too much political sway. “I’ve no doubt things will begin to make sense when we start to piece it together, but I also don’t doubt including Force related topics will be a struggle to introduce.” It had left a bad taste in many people’s mouths. Still did. The galaxy liked to focus more on the Palpatines, the Vaders, the Rens, the Sith than it did the supposed good Force-users.

-

Kylo’s response answered Ariel’s question, even as he denied even knowing about his attitude. “Sure thing, Ky. You know, I never can understand how you can stay angry for so long,” it had been hours since his little disagreement with Paquin. Something that was hardly worth such upset, and yet he managed to keep it up. She supposed having to go through such tedious lists helped.

And that much of Kylo’s strength came from his anger. He was just a ridiculously angry person.

She did frown as he judged her makeup. “You know, the nice thing to say would be something along the lines of ‘wow, Ariel, that mascara really brings out your eyes’ or ‘that lip gloss is very flattering on you’. Or just not say anything at all!” Even though she knew Kylo’s thoughts were probably on functionality rather than her appearance–he probably didn’t realize when she had worn makeup during combat–and yet, she did suddenly feel a bit self-conscious about it.

Was she doing too much?

She sighed. “I know, I got the message too. He can wait a minute longer, I walked across this ship to get here.” An exaggeration, but still. Despite her complaints, she got up anyway, just as she received another message. From Paquin this time. There was minimal back and forth, but Ariel knew what she must do.

“C’mon then. Let’s get this over with. I will have a hot date tonight,” Ariel brushed past Kylo on her way out. Of course she wouldn’t mention it was Paquin that messaged her, for she thought Kylo would probably speed up to avoid her. He was stupid enough to do something like that.

Gnaeus was a bit startled to have his hand taken, but nonetheless, he followed after Paquin with no struggle, “I take it they’re still here?” The answer was obvious by the determined way that Paquin walked, and her direction to a hangar.

The right hangar was at least fairly obvious by the movement of TIE pilots. At least they weren’t in red armor. Well – not all red armor. He noticed red lining to their black suits, and red symbols on their helmets. ‘Sith.’ He recalled, again, that they had Sith training. Sith backgrounds. It permeated into the symbols on the TIEs.

Was it the symbol of the Final Order? ‘Must be….’ He was unnerved by it. Something was wrong.

Would Ariel notice?

Yes, of course.

They could talk about it later, certainly, right?

At least he and Paquin made it to the hangar before Ariel and Kylo showed up, and the command vessel that would head up to the main flagship was obvious with officers standing outside of it, including Admiral Galli.

~***~

While Hux thought of the Sith legacy, Mira could not help but think of the Jedi legacy, and the Clone Wars. A constant history of interference with politics, that led to their downfall. Mira wanted no part of that. She would be content with schools that helped people understand the Force – those that had it, as well as expanding understanding of it to those that didn’t.

She wasn’t sure about jobs, codes, or futures. She wasn’t sure what ‘Gray Jedi’ might be, other than a code, something of a faith, for those who followed it. They could go on to do what they liked with it, as she was an Admiral of the First Order, while Finn would never so much as touch being in the First Order ever again.

Could it be just a school?

Could Grays go into any other occupation?

Mira needed more time – and she still felt, somehow, she needed Mace to be a realistic guide of sorts. For her, and likely, for Luke.

“I’m not certain on the matter of peace keeping, but I’m not certain what the future of a Gray looks like, either. The Jedi were just…Jedi. I’m not. Finn isn’t,” Mira wondered for a moment if her own need to be, to feel, normal, was what led her to think that something like ‘Gray’ shouldn’t be an entire identity. “I’m not certain if we would need something like that, or if we ought to be peacekeepers. If any of us ought to do more than advise on what it is we know.”

Though some would argue that knowledge of the Force, was knowledge of the galaxy, and, no doubt, its future, and the direction it should go in.

Mira wouldn’t.

Given the many ways the Force manifested, and the many varied practitioners, anyone claiming truth seemed to her, to be questionable.

Even if she held her own ideas of what the ‘truth’ was.

~***~

Kylo would follow Ariel out as she brushed by him, claiming she was going to have a hot date. It was enough for him not to notice any slowness, or intentional slowness. She wouldn’t want to delay, after all. She had to get back to Gideon now.

Though, there was a part of him that suddenly wanted to ask about that, he also knew Ariel was the wrong person to ask any questions he had about that. Gnaeus would be more of the right person, and even then…no, that wasn’t likely. Though he didn’t ask, he still knew about his knights habits more than he’d like. Gnaeus had been more or less celibate since joining.

Ariel and Kevan were, in a word, promiscuous.

He and Mira had never touched another person. Well, until now, he hadn’t.

And for all he knew that was all ruined now, too, because he’d asked Paquin to do this one thing with Alsen. He knew that might be a bit dramatic, but when wasn’t he a bit dramatic? “We should both have TIEs,” he noted to Ariel. Likely, she expected that. “I’m sure we can make quick work of this so you’ll have plenty of time. Just wait until the rest of us have our armor and are out of the room.”

“TIEs? For both of us?” Ariel queried, sarcasm laced in her tone, “I thought I’d be flying the family shuttle.” She had to give him a bit of shit. He was a shit. Especially as he made a comment about her future pursuit of Gideon. Ariel did shoot him a look for that. She wasn’t that big of a whore.

Still, she couldn’t not say something, “What’s the fun in waiting? Won’t be my fault you lot aren’t quick enough. Besides, you’ll need to learn a thing or two, no?” That is, if he wasn’t intent on messing things with Paquin. He was doing a stellar job of it so far. Then again, Paquin didn’t seem to be dissuaded. Or maybe she was and she just wanted to tell Kylo off before they left.

That didn’t seem like a very Paquin thing.

Ariel was quickly distracted by the appearance of these little red symbols. It wasn’t an onslaught like the Sith troopers but it still...made her feel uneasy. There was a sudden nervousness, one that accompanied the thoughts of leaving Paquin and Gnaeus here.

Speaking of, “Kylo,” Paquin’s voice called, gentle yet loud enough to hear from where she and Gnaeus must have been awaiting, in front of the shuttle that Ariel figured would be taking them out. Paquin moved towards them, fiddling with her own hands. It was obvious she wasn’t mad. “Can I speak with you? It will only take a minute,” she assured. He’d be back on his way quick enough.

Ariel was quick to slip away, in case Kylo tried to drag her into this with excuses or something. Besides, she wanted to say goodbye to Gnaeus. And ensure they’d be alright.

-

“Arguably, peacekeeping could be within your realm of knowledge.” Mira knew much. This neutrality the Grey had adopted could be valued.

“Whatever you want the Grey Jedi to be, is up to you,” Hux allowed, of course. This was Mira’s. Her place, her organization. “I’ll support it either way. I’m simply thinking ahead, more or less. It’s a pattern. There will always be enemies to the galaxy of...Sith nature. Or of those Jedi who think they have more influence than they do. Threats, and it’s no secret some are more adept at handling such things.”

But that could be only one option of many. Someone else could claim such a faction. There was only so much they could conceptualize with so few details and little to no conversation.

However it would end up, the goal of the day was to form something solid enough to pitch. And if the conversation of Force users would have to be discussed by some special council then so be it.

“There’s an assortment of possibilities,” a coalition of volunteers, a regulated organization. Or maybe it didn’t need to exist. “And nothing was ever built in a day. No Empire, no organization. You won’t know what direction to take until you have something.” Hux grew to understand what the Order needed. He wasn’t born with vision. He had to understand what there was to know what it had to be.

“I don’t suppose you’ve talked to Luke about any of this.” He wasn’t sure if she truly loathed Luke or if at this point they didn’t get along. “I’ll not pressure you, I know somewhat of how you feel, but just consider that we wouldn’t be here if I hadn’t spoken with Leia,” someone he did not previously get along with.

Luke would know something about Force organizations. Mace too. Hell, even Leia could know something. She had the tools, she just needed to do the rest. Her and her padawan, who decided to grace them with his presence.

“Mira,” Finn called as he stumbled upon them, hardly acknowledging Hux with more than a look. “I figured you’d wake me up,” he’d been worried when she wasn’t there. Mostly because he was concerned with her running into things. Exasperating her emotional state.

‘We could still shove you into a freighter.’ Kylo did not say that as Ariel made her remark. There were other kinds of fighters. She could be in a shared TIE. Kylo wouldn’t be. He was good enough to fly and shoot. He hardly needed the help. Really, it just slowed him down.

Not that he could focus on that. No, he dug his own grave with his comment on Ariel’s pursuit, and now he was hearing even more about it. Which followed along some of his thoughts. He just grunted as he rolled his eyes. He still didn’t think he wanted to learn much from Ariel.

Kylo was at least able to keep his mouth shut then, and just look at the symbols. Even he recognized it – Sith.

‘Might need to discuss that.’ He didn’t want to brand the Final Order as the Sith. That seemed like a sure-fire way to lose. He still wanted people to see that this was for the best. They weren’t going to trust the Sith with that. ‘Not that most know this symbol.’

He was on his way to the ship with Admiral Galli when he heard Paquin call for him. He sighed, but turned to face her, a touch irritated that he was being distracted from getting on his way in front of the Admiral.

Ariel was quick to leave him.

Paquin may not have been upset any longer, but Kylo was only too good at remaining irritated. “What is it, Paquin?” He wasn’t sure what more they really had to discuss. He’d sent her the information. Shouldn’t she be with Alsen going over it? Or was this to declare she wasn’t going to do that?

Gnaeus didn’t look – or feel – guilty, at least.

Gnaeus greeted Ariel warmly enough, though they’d said their farewells already. “You look good, Ariel,” he would at least offer a compliment, “Though I’m surprised you’re absent crimson lips.”

~***~

Peacekeeping may indeed have a place in her skillset, and Mira did allow a touch of a smirk at that. She hadn’t forgotten what she’d done here, or her role in bringing Hux to speak with Leia. A necessity – like talking to Luke, complicated, and difficult, as that was. “Don’t support it if you don’t like it, General,” Mira did say that.

She had been clear on things she didn’t like with the Order. The brainwashing and kidnapping of infants…something Hux was stopping.

Their paths may differ. Their opinions may differ. “I still want to know if you do not like something, and why,” even if it wouldn’t change it, in the end, she wanted to know. She wanted to be able to justify it, at least to herself. To be understood, too. There was going to be a lot of conversation. A lot of disagreements.

As for Luke…she sighed, “I know. I haven’t yet,” not much. It remained complicated with him, and a wry smile returned to her lips, for a moment, before fading. ‘You didn’t know Leia before.’ Mira knew Luke. It was personal. Terribly personal. She did think she needed a mediator. Finn or Rey didn’t seem like enough.

Leia, maybe.

Leia could get both of them in line with a look.

They’d soon find out.

Mira turned to Finn as he stepped into the scene, Millicent perking up a bit from her ridiculous rolling about and enjoying the grass. “I’m sorry,” she said, “I wanted you to sleep more. I knew I was going to be waking up early,” the reason now obvious to Finn.

Paquin wasn’t surprised by Kylo’s lingering irritation and she didn’t let it deter her from her task. Even though she did sigh and let her hands fall to her side. “I just wanted to tell you that I’m sorry. I was just...confused and frustrated,” she wasn’t sure if it was Kylo who contributed to it most or if she’d just made herself frustrated.

“I still am all of those things,” she mumbled. But that was besides the point. “I shouldn’t have walked off, I should have at least let you explain. I understand you don’t want to deal with this stuff on your own, I don't want you to. It’s just...far from what I know. Far from what I thought I’d ever be doing, really,” she longed to reach out to him, as if that would help. Him or her, she wasn’t certain on that.

But she couldn’t. Even if she wasn’t worried about him pulling away from her, it wouldn’t be appropriate with their audience, she didn’t think. “We can talk about it more when you get back, if you want. If you don’t, that’s okay, too. I didn’t want you to leave while you’re upset with me. Or thinking I was mad at you,” she hadn’t been mad at him, more than she was frustrated with the position he put her in without consulting her about it.

While Paquin and Kylo worked out their little lover’s quarrel, Ariel’s previous self consciousness melted away with Gnaeus’s compliment. She beamed at that, “Thanks, Gnaeus,” at least someone thought she looked nice. Not that Kylo said she looked bad directly… “I would’ve done red, that really would’ve sealed the deal. But somehow I couldn’t get my hands on any.” Which she thought was interesting since everything else on this damn base was red.

“You don’t look too bad yourself, y’know. The whole fresh out of the shower look is a hit with ladies, trust me,” not that Gnaeus ever seemed to care about any. She knew why, of course. Ariel gestured around them, “Is it just me or do these people have a real hard on for the Sith,” which was curious, considering she didn’t think even Snoke was technically Sith.

He didn’t have the eyes.

-

Of course Hux wouldn’t blindly support Mira’s organization. If there was something he didn’t think was beneficial, he’d speak with her about it. But he wouldn’t tell her what it had to be, unless she asked for his assistance. As long as it wasn’t harming the galaxy, he would do what he could to help her further the Grey Jedi. Mira had helped him get to this point, after all.

Sometimes he did wonder what would have happened if he’d never met her, or at least never took her words into consideration.

He’d be dead, most likely. The galaxy would only be in further ruin, because assuredly Snoke would have assumed control. The Resistance simply wasn’t equipped enough. Or maybe Ren would have killed him, then, too.

Hux would’ve further encouraged the subject of Mira talking to Luke, perhaps outside of the meeting setting they’d be in soon, but he didn’t have much chance with Finn’s appearance. “I’m used to getting up early. I appreciate the thought, though,” Finn told Mira. He thought to mention that Mira didn’t have to sneak around with Hux. It was probably better if she didn’t sneak him around a Resistance base, in the future anyway.

“Is he, uh, also the reason you’ll be preoccupied after the meeting?” Finn wasn’t judging. Just curious. He knew something was up with these two...he just wasn’t sure if it was what he thought it was.

Hux did raise his brow at that, “We do have plans after the meeting,” he offered, giving no details as to what those plans were, though he didn’t know what else Mira might have to do.

“Right. I have a lightsaber now, you know. My own. Made it last night,” Finn mentioned nonchalantly as he bent down to pet the grass covered cat. Hux knew what he meant with the words. It was more amusing than it was threatening, though he knew well of Finn's capabilities from his time in the Order.

“I’m aware. Mira told me. Congratulations.” This was awkward.

“Well, anyway,” Finn wouldn’t say thanks. “I got a message back from Mace. He said ‘okay’, whatever that means." Finn didn't know if that meant Mace was coming, or just acknowledging his message.

Paquin apologized.

She was confused, and she was frustrated, both entirely understandable reasons to act out, so Kylo certainly couldn’t hold that against her. He was familiar with it himself, but he found his mind drifted to the fact that she didn’t come to see him, until there was the possibility that she might not see him again.

He was still annoyed with it.

“And the Force is so much closer to what you thought you’d be doing?” He couldn’t help the comment, even if it was probably one he should have kept to himself. He knew it as soon as he said it, and palmed his face, black gloves obscuring much of it as his brows knit together and he wondered how to backtrack that.

Nope.

“I’m sorry.” He was, obviously, frustrated. Not confused, but frustrated, and still annoyed that everyone was against him going on a mission to do something he was good at. “We should talk when I get back.” So they might both mess up a little less with this.

Gnaeus also thought it was odd that Ariel couldn’t find red here. Red was everywhere. It almost seemed like a crime to not have red lips in a place like this. “Well, maybe that will actually make you stand out,” given the rule of the Final Order.

He really hoped Gideon didn’t put red in their uniforms, though.

He would ignore Ariel’s comment about his own looks, and focus on the Sith matter, “Glad I’m not the only one who noticed,” Kylo probably did, unless Kylo was being hung up on his anger. Always possible. “I wonder if it is part of Snoke’s whole…balance thing.” The First Order with Jedi-influence, the Final Order with Sith.

But then were there others like them, more Jedi-like? More Sith-like?

“Or…was part of…I don’t know.” But like Ariel, it struck him as odd.

“He never used the Jedi symbol anywhere, did he?” He wanted to clarify that, to make sure he wasn’t going insane.

~***~

Mira should have recalled that Finn was used to getting up early, given his background, and previous arrangements for training. Still, she wouldn’t have wanted to wake him, to tell him she was going to go see Hux. No matter how understanding Finn was – and, oddly enough, Hux – it was still awkward.

She did nod, though, to his question. Hux was the reason for her not training with Finn after the meeting.

Hux confirmed, and Mira almost laughed as Finn brought up his lightsaber. It was an obvious threat, no matter how nonchalantly he put it. Or perhaps because it was done so nonchalantly. Finn needed to work on his intimidation skills. At least Hux was a good enough sport to congratulate Finn, rather than get irritated with the threat.

Or angry with it.

And Finn jumped over that, to Mace. Mira arched a brow. That was a non-answer, indeed. “I suppose we’ll see. I’m not sure if I’ve made a mistake.” If he showed up, she knew it could be bad. It was a risk she had to take, though. Or, felt she had to take, anyways.

Another ship entered the atmosphere – or rather, materialized right above the base. ‘August.’ No question with the stealth capabilities and sudden uncloaking. He remained a show-off.

Mira wanted her stealth ship again. She also wanted to eviscerate Terex, as the thought of such a thing brought him back to mind, too. Oh, when she found him….

She might have a reason to visit Brendol, after all. “Looks like people are starting to arrive.” She did not know who else Leia may have asked for, or if others had arrived before even Hux.

“We should probably head in,” figure out the preparations.

Millicent let out a complaining sound at that, and tried to dig her claws into Finn’s sleeves to keep him down with her.

Paquin huffed, frowning at Kylo’s comment. He knew the answer to that. It wasn’t at all what she thought she’d be doing, she’d told him how lost she was last night. His comment hurt. “You know it’s not, but there’s at least something in the same vein, I–” she stopped herself, sighing. She wouldn’t elaborate on that, he’d probably figure it out on her own.

Everyone had said something about it to her, and that’s what she expected everyone else to expect of her. Gnaeus already thought she could give him his hand back. And if it were truly a possibility, then that was much closer to what she thought she’d be doing than mulling over planets and people.

He apologized.

“Right, okay,” she agreed to talking when he got back. She could think about what to say, she supposed. “Just be careful, please, and look out for Ariel.” She was sure much of that went without saying, but she also knew Kylo was prone to doing stupid things. Dangerous things. That’s why Ariel was going along, no doubt, even though she shouldn’t. Kylo needed to come back for more reasons than them needing to talk.

She did reach out to him, a simple pat to his arm. It was her own fault, for sleeping so long, that this would be their goodbye.

Ariel wasn’t buying the balance thing. Snoke sought what brought him power, she didn’t think balance was a core value to him more so as an attempt at ultimate control. Clearly that hadn’t worked out for him and Ariel shook her head at Gnaeus’s question. “No, not that I recall.” The Jedi influenced First Order hadn’t even been Snoke’s idea. That had begun long before Snoke collaborated with the Order.

Something Brendol had thought up, no?

“Maybe he wanted to try something new,” maybe the balance hadn’t been working for him. Maybe he wanted them to be, well...Sith.

There was a lot of Sith lying around this place, after all. The masks, these artifacts. Sith troopers, Sith symbols. “Maybe this prophecy…I don’t know. I just know…” something was strange. But she wasn’t sure if she should voice how uneasy it made her. “It’s weird.”

-

Of course August had to make sure no one forgot just what he was capable of. He wondered how Leia would feel about his use of stealth. After all, the Resistance was quite vigilant on who they allowed in. This meeting was off to a great start now, wasn’t it?

He did wonder who August might have brought with him. Mainly, he wondered if August brought along the one Admiral, Caius. He seemed to be the more politically entwined one, while Alexander was keen to be in the chaos of combat. Of course, neither one of them liked Mira. But of them, Caius would be the least likely to make things worse. Though Hux wouldn’t doubt it if something was started.

This was all dependent on if August had brought him, or anyone at all. Hux hummed in agreement with Mira, that they should head inside, and he initially gestured for her to lead the way before he reconsidered if that was a good idea. Really, he thought it would be worse if he tried to go back on that and lead her through a Resistance base.

If anyone should be leading them, it was Finn, who was terribly enthralled with Hux’s cat. Or Millicent was enthralled with him.

Finn chuckled a bit at the scratch of the cat’s claws. “It’s like she knows what’s happening,” cats couldn’t know such things!

And yet, “She does. She’s not stupid.” Hux said, as if it was normal for cats to be so intuitive.

Finn wouldn’t comment on that but did ask, “Can I?” In reference to picking her up. Hux huffed, but nodded his approval. The cat offered minimal protest, of course upset to be leaving the grass, but the attention from Finn was welcomed. Finn would naturally assume the role of guide, since he was the one who lived here. “C’mon, I bet Leia’s in the command center,” Finn did wonder if Leia would have it cleared out for this meeting, or if she’d set aside a specific room.

There weren’t many free rooms on the base. Most housed people rather than served functions like that. But Finn wouldn’t be surprised if Leia had Poe set up a makeshift meeting room, considering the importance of today’s meeting.

But for now, Leia was in the command center. She seemed much more pulled together than the night before, but there was no mistaking the lingering ache she felt.

“Ah, good morning,” Leia greeted, clearing her throat. “Nice of you to finally show up, General Hux. At least you didn’t show up in a stealth ship,” she grumbled, no doubt irritated by the news that a ship had unexpectedly popped up on the planet before it even showed up on radars. Hux had only loitered.

There was something in the Force that could, potentially, relate to her work. Healing. Kylo knew that, although he wouldn’t imagine how going over artifacts would lead to that. Still, he knew what she meant, without her completing the thought. Slowly, he pulled his hand down from his face. Not that he wouldn’t end up screwing this up all over again, but at least he ought to look at her.

Now that he’d hurt her.

“I will,” he could at least promise to look after Ariel. His own safety was questionable, but he would be coming back alive. He wouldn’t die out in space, not against some stupid young Admiral from the Tarkin’s clique of Imperial holdouts.

The small touch was enough to make him feel some guilt for how this all spun out. He briefly reached up, to hold her hand against his arm a moment before she could pull it away. He wouldn’t let that linger more than a moment, before he stepped back. “We’ll return in one piece.” Then he looked to where Ariel was, and raised his voice to call over to her, “Ariel! Now!”

They were holding up the command shuttle.

“Right. Didn’t think so,” Gnaeus muttered. No, there was something off about this, and the blatant display of Sith symbols here. He hummed at her mention of something new, nodding, even if they both seemed to know that wasn’t it. Just as they both seemed to know that talking about it, openly, here, might not be good.

The Final Order knew too much, and got information too easily.

“I know,” Gnaeus said as Ariel seemed unable to find the words in the moment, and Kylo called for her. It was weird. “Stay safe out there, Ariel.” He said, nodding, “I’ll be fine here.” Hopefully. In theory.

They’d figure this out.

Hopefully, before they needed to figure this out.

~***~

Mira was at least glad that Finn and Millicent got along – and Finn asked if he could pick her up. All good steps for people who disliked each other so much. Then again, she noticed easily with Finn that he really was terribly thoughtful most of the time. It was among his best traits. As such, Mira would wait to follow, and tried to remain careful through doorways. She was getting better, but without the Force it seemed that she’d lost something when it came to walking.

A sort of sight she felt, more than she saw.

She still preferred to be around the Void stone. It hadn’t been obvious when she was outside with Hux. And she didn’t hit any doorways, at least. There weren’t any notable incidents at all, thankfully.

Leia was awake. And already in a mood over August’s chosen method of arrival. As she spoke, Rey came into the room, though she froze up a moment at seeing the group, “Oh, um, good morning,” she greeted, “Luke was wondering if we were meeting here, or somewhere else?” Apparently Rey was invited, at least by Luke. She seemed to be put together already, so waking early must also not have been a new thing for her, either.

Mira was also wondering that, though she kind of assumed it would be in the command center. Even though there wasn’t exactly a nice long table to be seated at. Did they need a table? Somehow she could only imagine the arguments of who got to sit at the head of any table.

“Here,” It was Poe who said it, with something like a deep sigh as he led August Tarkin’s group in. August wasn’t alone. He had Julia with him, of course, but also Seig Keil, basically Seig Tagge (August was still of the opinion he should have changed his name to Tagge) and Caius Motti, since they were his politically minded allies.

“I brought caf and pastries?” Seig offered, as if that made up for August’s actions, which he absolutely knew were not acceptable on a Resistance base. Was August going to apologize? No, of course not.

Not for that, anyways, “Apologies for our delay, General Organa, Seig did insist on the tradition,” for all of their meetings, anyways, this was tradition. He did notice out of the corner of his eye that Mira was wearing an eyepatch. He wouldn’t speak to that right now. “General Hux, it’s good to see you well. I assure you, I have many looking for Terex.” He was terribly difficult to find, but this time, August was actually trying, and not being passive about it. “I do apologize for letting that happen under my own roof.”

But still not for the stealth arrival.

Terex was bound to fuck up eventually.

He wished he’d brought Lares on seeing Millicent, though.

Ariel frowned at the way Kylo called her name. Or maybe it was at this Sith business. Either way, it manifested into a complaint. “You hear the way he talks to me? I’m not an animal!” It was only half-hearted. Kylo talked to everyone like this, she wasn’t special. Well, everyone except for Paquin. He found different ways to talk like an asshole with Paquin, apparently.

She sighed, patting Gnaeus on the back, “I’ll try my best. Good luck around here,” with the artifacts, with Paquin, with this unnerving Sith stuff. “See you when we get back.” If they got back.

Ariel caught up with Kylo as Paquin bid him goodbye and by the tone of her voice, Ariel assumed they hadn’t fully worked things out yet. Well, Ariel wouldn’t comment on that. Just this once, she’d let them be. She would say bye to Paquin, though, and attempt some levity. “Later, Paquin. Don’t worry, I’ll get this grump back safe and sound,” Ariel hit Kylo’s arm with the back of her hand.

Paquin did force a smile, “Thanks, Ariel. Take care of yourself, too.” Paquin would squeeze her shoulder on her way past, going to unite with Gnaeus. She wanted to linger, of course, to watch them fly off. She stopped by Gnaeus as she could hear Admiral Galli greet Ariel and Kylo, and she did make conversation, “Was Ariel wearing makeup?” She looked nice, Paquin wished she’d complimented her, but Paquin didn’t realize it until that moment.

If Paquin didn’t know any better, she was sure she would’ve read into it more. Though, it did make her wonder if it would be something Kylo liked…

-

Millicent squirmed in Finn’s arms as August and his entourage joined them. Finn took it as a sign to let her down, and so he did. Immediately the cat ran to the new group of people as if she was looking for someone. Something. The cat sniffed at August’s leg and then deflated. ‘August’s beast,’ Hux figured that was what she was looking for. Probably smelled the Nexu on Tarkin.

“Because the delay is the problem,” Leia did grumble, not bothering to hide what displeased her. August knew it too, that’s why he apologized for everything under the sun but that. Leia got to complain, though. This was her base after all. If she wanted, she could call all of this off right then, if she was feeling petty. But they couldn’t afford pettiness, they needed to get things done, so she’d move on.

But she would certainly take the caf and the pastries. “Rey, go tell Luke we’re meeting now, here, please.” She requested of the young girl.

Rey wordlessly nodded before turning back where she came to go fetch Leia’s twin.

Leia would let Hux deal with Tarkin.

“No need to apologize. Though I would suggest looking into your employees giving mild tranquilizers to anyone who requests it,” that was a dangerous practice, even if it might’ve been terribly convenient for him. “I do appreciate your assistance in tracking Terex, as well as your assistance during my absence,” Phasma had filled him in on some things that had occurred while he was gone. Phasma, who should arrive shortly.

“The Order will cover any damages caused to your apartment.”

“Finn, Poe, can you grab some chairs and put them around the console?” Leia asked. The console in the center of the command center was big, round, and had a computer they could utilize. Plus, no one would be arguing over who got to sit at either head. There was no head because it was a circle.

Gnaeus nodded, “Ariel was wearing make-up. She probably wants to impress Gideon.” Whether or not it would work, they would see. He stayed with Paquin as they watched the command shuttle go up, then gestured her along, “You can call Alsen to let him know where you’re at, when we get there,” he suggested.

Either way, they both had tasks to work on. Gnaeus didn’t imagine he’d be completing his anytime soon.

In either case, he did lead the way to the laboratory he’d been instructed had received the Sith artifacts, and taken those that the facility already had, to be examined. Most, he soon realized, were holocrons. It would be his job to start tediously going through them, and sorting them based on genre, or message.

That was going to take a while. Some holocrons were exceedingly long.

It would also, unfortunately, mean he wouldn’t get to tune in to much with regards to Paquin’s lessons, which was somewhat disappointing, given the holocrons themselves were nothing terribly interesting. At least, not at the outset. Lessons from Master to Apprentice, for the most part.

Nothing new to Gnaeus in regards to skills, or even lessons – he had heard these kinds of things over and over again already. All the same, he made his notes to stick each holocron with – who was in it, who it was addressed to, and the subject matter, so that hopefully they wouldn’t have to go over these things again.

~***~

The trip up to the command shuttle was nothing interesting – a brief review of the plan, including what Galli hoped Kylo would accept as his place in it, as a leader of one of the TIE strike squadrons. He set Ariel as another leader, of course, and reminded them of the plan.

Kylo didn’t argue, but he was annoyed to be reminded, again, as if he were some child who was bound to forget. He understood there would be a time that he, Ariel, and the TIEs would need to move quickly to get clear of the shots from the dreadnaughts, and he had little plan of getting caught up in any mass explosions, or leaving his team to get caught up in any.

The needed this to be a clear victory, not something pyrrhic.

Kylo did spend some time on the bridge of the new ship, though, trying to get accustomed to the new people. They all seemed so damn friendly. Or, well, not as friendly – but still accommodating.

When it was time to get to the TIEs, he did leave the Bridge, to head to his hangar, and also meet the crew he’d be flying with – a squadron named after Darth Baras, apparently. Ariel was set with another squadron, in another hangar. Kylo was just glad to see there was something similar to his TIE silencer waiting for him there, and he was quick to get in the cockpit, and prepared to leave just as soon as they reached Kamino.

~***~

“We are,” August assured Hux on that. Make it a point that only select individuals could actually request it, even if they knew the proper names to use, as Brendol Hux apparently did. They were to give a regular drink and report it to either himself or Julia, next time. “I’ll be certain to pass the bill your way once the repairs are completed,” not that August couldn’t afford it, but he was already intending to see it paid for by Mira, at least. She had caused the most damage.

If Hux wanted to step up, he wouldn’t deny him that, even if he did note the discomfort from Mira.

Finn and Poe were out of the room soon to get chairs, and Seig moved forward to set the pastry box, and 1 gallon of caf on the console, since that would apparently be their table for now. He also set the cups down, though he was beginning to doubt he actually brought enough caf. Pastries, definitely, but caf was never a certain thing, especially this early in the morning, with this sort of tension already blooming.

“General, there wouldn’t happen to be a caf machine nearby that I could get set up? I don’t think I brought quite enough and once we run out, a delay would be terrible.” He could at least get it going and get it warmed up for everyone.

August would simply move to take a few chairs from Poe when he got back, even if the pilot frowned a bit at the gesture – he did hand them off to let August start to set up the chairs around the console. It let him leave sooner to get more.

By the time Luke was walking in, at least half of the chairs were set up, though Luke paused at the outskirts of it all, feeling the Force suddenly leave him. ‘What is this?’ Why didn’t Rey seem bothered? Or Finn, Mira, or Leia, for that matter? “It’s too early for this,” his complaint, not necessarily about the meeting, but the new mystery that was in front of him.

Did he want to admit he didn’t have access to the Force? Around August Tarkin? No, he decided that was a terrible idea, but he did sidle over to Leia anyways, to whisper, “Do you know what’s going on with the Force?” Because this was terribly unnerving to start this all off with.

Rey went to help with the chairs then, too.

Paquin followed Gnaeus to the designated laboratory, sending a message to Alsen to inform him where they would meet once they’d arrived. She’d let Gnaeus attend to his tasks with the artifacts and she’d settle herself at another table off in the corner, so as not to disturb Gnaeus with her and Alsen’s chatter. Because there would be a lot of that during her lesson.

Alsen had come and jumped right into their task. He’d brought files upon files of notes for her, lists of lists. She supposed she appreciated the detail, but it was terribly overwhelming. At least she was near Gnaeus. Not that they interacted much. He was occupied with the holocrons and she was learning of the planets on Kylo’s list. She did try to tune in to the holocrons every once in a while. Though they weren’t new to Gnaeus, they were to her. But unfortunately, she never got to fully listen, as Alsen demanded her attention.

Paquin wondered how many wrinkles she caused by rubbing her face, or how many hairs she’d pulled out. Alsen went through the list with her, the planets, the leaders, the resources. Which planets would be useful to form alliances with and which ones it would simply be easier to forcefully take, which Paquin tried to wrap her head around. Why couldn’t they make alliances with all of them?

But by the end of it, Alsen made sure she was at least acquainted with Kylo’s list. Which planets had what, who the leaders were, how he suggested to proceed and which ones to prioritize. All of which she’d note to Kylo, but after they’d spent an indiscernible amount of time, Paquin was done thinking about it for a while. So Alsen parted for a ‘break’ and Paquin managed to saunter over to Gnaeus to see what he was working on.

-

Ariel had parted from Kylo shortly after they’d been briefed by Admiral Galli. She didn’t appreciate the way he spoke to them, really. Not back in the meeting room and not when he briefed them for the plan they already knew. But Ariel wouldn’t say anything of it, not then at least. Perhaps she was paranoid or too cautious, but she didn’t want to start disagreements with anyone who could sabotage their mission in some way.

She didn’t bother lingering in the bridge with Kylo, that would just make her antsy. Though she did wish she had, for she and Kylo wouldn’t speak again before they were to head off for Kamino. She was instructed to a different hangar than him, where she’d meet the squadron she’d fly with.

Named after Darth Nyriss.

Ariel found herself becoming as annoyed with the Final Order’s obsession with the Sith as she was with its affinity for the color red. But more than that, she was unnerved. Why the sudden fixation on Sith from Snoke? Well, she couldn’t focus on it then, but she wouldn’t fail to mention it to Gnaeus later. They needed to start writing this stuff down…

Ariel made sure she knew how to talk to Kylo through the comms in their TIEs before they exited lightspeed near Kamino along with a string of other destroyers. Enough for Tarkin’s men to think it was their main force, as Galli put it. As TIEs began to flood from the larger vessels, Ariel quietly asked the stars to not let her be shot down in the vacuum of space, for she knew they wouldn’t get lucky with opposing incompetence and the Force was hardly beneficial with so little life.

She threw Kylo’s name into her request, too.

-

Hux didn’t fail to notice Mira’s discomfort when he spoke about the damage to Tarkin’s apartment, that he’d pay for it. It wasn’t his intention to make her uncomfortable, of course, but he also wasn’t keen on making a big deal out of it. So he simply acknowledged Mira with a light touch to her shoulder before he went to assist Finn with some chairs.

Which freed Finn up to assist Leia. Well, Sieg, but at the request of Leia.

Leia wasn’t sure if caf would really help any of their attitudes, maybe worsen them. But Leia wouldn’t object. “That’s very thoughtful of you. There’s a caf machine in the break room. Finn! Could you show him where the break room is?” The base was terribly confusing and Leia didn’t want anyone lost in it for many reasons, so she’d have Finn guide him.

“Sure thing, General,” Finn agreed easily enough. “I don’t think we have a big enough caf pot, though,” he was fairly certain Mira alone could drink that entire gallon of coffee, they’d probably have to have someone manning the caf machine to keep up the demand.

As soon as Finn and Sieg left the room, Luke approached Leia with a question, and she’d forgotten Luke wasn’t aware of this interesting stone. “Yes. It’s a strange stone, I don’t know the science behind it. It deprives the area of the Force. They must have gotten it back…,” Last she checked, her son and his friends had it. Taken it from Hux. “Hux or Mira has it, I imagine.” If Luke had a problem with it, he could discuss it with them.

Just then one of Leia’s lieutenants came in, guiding Phasma into the room. She wasn’t dressed in her usual armor, but rather a uniform. Though her armor was no doubt in the ship she came in. Still, she dressed for the occasion. Phasma wasn’t much in the way of a politician, but Hux still valued her opinion, her input. Besides, if it came to it, he’d rather have Mira advocating for her Grey thing than for the Order, he and Phasma could do that. “Lieutenant-General,” Hux greeted her, “thank you for joining us.”

Phasma nodded, “Did you get what you needed done this morning?”

“I did,” He answered, briefly glancing to Mira.

Mira, who was addressed by Leia, “Any word on Mace?” It seemed everyone was arriving but him.

Gnaeus sensed Paquin’s approach, and paused his holocron – really, turned it off, but made his mental note of where he left off in it. Pausing a holocron was just annoyingly frustrating and pointless when he suspected he might be called on to talk to Paquin, first, and make sure she was okay after all that talk with Alsen.

He hadn’t caught enough of it, and he doubted that Paquin really wanted to discuss it. There was certainly more to all of this than Gnaeus had suspected, that much was clear just by how long it took, and from the tidbits he’d heard.

She looked like she had a headache. “Should I see if there are any pain pill nearby?” He asked, mostly joking, before gesturing her to sit if she wanted to. “How are you holding up with all of this?”

A distraction was likely in order, but he had more than enough holocrons for that as soon as she was taken care of. He just wanted to make sure that she didn’t need to vent anything first about the task she had the misfortune of being assigned by Kylo.

Not that he suspected he or Ariel would do any better with it.

He hoped they were still okay.

~***~

Kylo Ren did not hesitate in shooting out from the hangar as soon as they were in realspace once again, and he flew straight towards the nearest destroyer in his sights, “Baras Squadron, follow me, we’re going to take out the turrets and shielding of the destroyer.”

“Understood, Baras Leader,” said one, with a chorus following that of agreement. Kylo knew it was unlikely they would get far with that before they were dealing with enemy TIEs, but he knew they had to strike the destroyers or it was utterly pointless to even appear.

They had to draw the destroyers forward and make sure they were engaged, too. That would make sure they weren’t prepared for the dreadnaughts, still minutes behind this first wave.

Kylo’s flying skills hadn’t left him, at least. He was able to easily dodge the fire that he came under, and fly under the destroyer to start wreaking havoc on its guns, spiraling out of the way of shots, but getting right back to his work. The rest of the squadron wasn’t doing terrible, but Kylo definitely didn’t see them contributing as much. They had to frequently pull too far out of range to avoid shots.

And so when the TIEs came, many of them were quick to disengage from the actual fight with the destroyer to handle the TIEs.

Kylo wasn’t so quick to back up, of course, He was able to even get a few of the enemy TIEs to slam into the ship and take out some weapons for him.

He was pleased with that.

~***~

Luke had not experienced this, but it clicked in his head with something he was sure Kevan had said during his mutterings. “Ah.” Luke wouldn’t argue, or make a fuss over it. He imagined that if he did, or anyone else attuned, did, some of the non-sensitives in the room would wonder why they wanted access to the Force in this environment.

Luke may be uncomfortable without it, but he could manage.

He wondered about Mace, though, as Leia brought it up while everyone was organizing. Seig was following Finn to get things set up with caf, and chairs were being set up. “Finn heard from him,” Mira said, gaze shifting from Hux to Leia, “We don’t know if he’s coming. He just said ‘okay’.” That was acknowledgment, but nothing else. “We can likely start without him, in any case.”

“Yes,” August agreed, “I suspect figuring out where you and the other Force users belong in this mess, if anywhere, won’t be among the first topics we discuss.” Not that August would be kicking out Luke, Mira, or their respective apprentices. They had a place in the discussion, and Luke had plenty of experience with the galaxy.

Mira had brought Leia and Hux together.

They had reasons to be there. “And we can continue even if he doesn’t show up. We assumed he was dead for long enough,” August moved to take one of the seats. He already had caf. It would be empty eventually, but he at least wasn’t as obsessed as some.

He might be after this meeting. He could already feel the headache. “Has anyone even sketched a plan for what we’re doing with the galaxy, yet?”

“Yeah, kind of,” Poe hadn’t forgotten, “not that it was sounding great,” it was still too centralized for his tastes, and he wasn’t going to let them just kowtow to centralizing demands that easily. Even if they were probably outnumbered, given Imperials and First Order operatives here.

“Honestly I’ll be impressed if it’s merely bad.” August stated bluntly. “And by that I don’t mean bad as in, won’t work, but as in the Senate would laugh it out before hearing it.” They tossed away enough good ideas, making an entirely new governing structure appeal to them was going to mean putting it into parts.

A gradual introduction, and hiding the truth from them, the way that…well, Palpatine had.

Mira opted to move closer to the table, but didn’t take a seat just yet. For one, she wasn’t sure where Finn or Hux were sitting, or where she ought to sit when it came to them.

Rey didn’t know of the plan, really, but she still frowned at August’s tone.

Luke didn’t quite like it, either, “The Senate has a habit of turning away good ideas.” Luke did take his seat, “Do you really think we can do anything good here?”

“Not all at once, but we can,” August said, “it may take some underhanded methods, but I’m used to that, and I know General Organa is, too.”

Paquin did crack a smile when Gnaeus greeted her, offered her a seat. She did take it, resting her arms on the table and her face in her hand. “I think hitting my head against the table a couple of times would hurt less than my headache, maybe we can try that first.” Though, she probably would seek out something for her headache later. For now, sitting and not looking at her datapad was good enough.

She did sigh, though, deflating a bit, “I’m holding up. It’s not difficult, it's just...a lot. I get why Kylo pawned it off,” not that Paquin actually felt like he’d just pushed the grunt work onto her simply because he didn’t want to do it.

Really, she wasn’t keen on talking about it too much. She’d spent enough time focusing on it, and she would have to relay it all to Kylo when he got back. Though, she did say, “I think Alsen sucked the life out of me.” He wasn’t spectacular nor was he horrible, but she’d just had too much of him and that endless planet encyclopedia brain of his. It was all simply too much at once.

“How are you doing here?” Paquin asked instead of discussing her session with Alsen. She straightened, looking at all the things Gnaeus had sorted, “Find anything interesting? I didn’t get to hear much.” She did reach for one at random, but noting the placement. She wasn't sure if there was any particular organization to it, but she didn't want to disturb it, make him have to sort throught hem again.

-

Ariel’s squadron wasn’t far behind Kylo’s, pursuing another destroyer. It was important to lure those out, damage them, both before their own dreadnoughts emerged and before the opposing TIEs became much of a menace. Ariel instructed two of her fighters to manage the oncoming enemies while the rest of them focused on breaking shields, destroying weapons.

She supposed the big idea was more to rouse the destroyers, engage them and get their shields down more than it was to disable any of them completely, their own ships could probably do that. But they did have to make it look like this was their sole attacking force and it would make the dreadnoughts jobs easier. Probably hastened it much, too, but she couldn’t help but feel a bit sympathize with those in their own TIEs that were shot down, all for a ruse.

Oh well. It happened. Ariel was less focused on them, more so on keeping an eye on Kylo. And beyond him, her own safety. Kylo was good at this, amazing really. He could evade and maneuver, the biggest risk with him was him doing something much too stupid in his confidence. Her on the other hand, while perfectly capable, she was not as good as him, not as quick.

At least she was doing better than the dead guys. She could actually hit things. Avoid getting hit, and shoot down a few in her way. It was fun, like the arcade games she used to play on her home planet.

Until she started being chased and she struggled to shake her pursuer. Couldn’t outrun them, couldn’t turn enough to shoot them, “Could any of you losers help me?” She grumbled over the com. She had a whole squad, didn’t she? Maybe they were all dead.

“Dreadnoughts are incoming,” a voice came from over her com. She sighed. That wasn’t what she meant, but she supposed she could make it work. She began to draw back. Maybe that would be a warning sign to Tarkin’s men, but it would be too late anyway. And with any luck, this pesky TIE would get hit by a dreadnought coming out of lightspeed. That was hard to avoid.

-

“Wouldn’t have to worry about the Senate laughing if we abolished it,” Hux did mumble. He knew a quick way to do it too. Well, building wasn’t quick but…Hux still thought Starkiller was brilliant. If it hadn’t been for the Resistance but perhaps with a few tweaks, Ren would only fight it out of spite but clearly he’d wanted the Senate gone too, so Hux would technically be doing the grunt work. But it could work now if…

“General, I believe we’re past that conversation,” Phasma chimed in to break him out of his enthusiastic thoughts.

“Yes, I know. Apologies,” Hux allowed, unconsciously pulling out the seat beside him for Mira before he slipped into the seat he claimed as his own. Assuming, of course, that she’d sit next to him. She was wearing the First Order uniform after all. ‘Yes, that’s why she’d sit next to you.’ He wouldn’t indulge in any caf. Call it paranoia, but he’d likely only be drinking things he poured for himself for a while. “Still, always an option.”

“I really don’t think it is,” Finn commented as he returned. The caf had been started, he asked someone to bring it out when it was done.

“Should I hit him in the back of the head with something?” Rey asked Finn in a hushed tone, only joking, of course. Maybe.

Finn did crack a smile, shaking his head. It would probably be the last lighthearted moment for a while, as they discussed the nitty gritty stuff. “No, I don’t think that’s a good idea. Yet.” Finn opted for the chair on the opposite side of Mira, and Rey sat next to him. Finn didn’t fail to catch Poe looking at them, strangely, only for a moment. It passed and Finn whispered to Mira, “Sorry about Mace.” He couldn’t do anything about the man, but he still felt he ought to apologize.

Leia opted to ignore their side conversation as she poured herself her own caf, grabbed a pastry while she was at it. She hadn’t eaten in a while, after all. Not since before...the incident, to put it. “Underhanded methods are just about all we can count on at the moment,” she’d realized that the New Republic was terribly neglectful. Of course, she still didn’t agree with Hux’s ‘solution’. It was more like a devolution. “The Senate doesn’t need to be abolished, just...reworked. We discussed it,”

“The triumvirate concept,” Hux recalled. Which, of course, he was hardly keen on.

“It seems like too few for the size of the galaxy,” even with the Senate still in place.

“And it seems like too many to me,” Hux added. They had to compromise, and Hux wasn’t going to budge and let something too similar to the Senate, or past failures to be enacted.

“Why don’t we all sit and lay out what we’ve discussed previously before we argue about it?” Leia suggested instead, to which Hux gestured for them to go ahead and do that.

Gnaeus bit the inside of his cheek as Paquin mentioned Kylo pawning it off on her. No, he was not going to get involved in that. He’d let Kylo clean up that mess when he got back. The thought of ‘if’ didn’t really cross his mind when it came to Kylo and starships. Kylo was a damn good pilot, and when he was fighting in a ship, Gnaeus thought he was almost better at that, than he was at fighting with a lightsaber.

He did chuckle a bit, though, at the comment on Alsen, “Don’t let him know that – or maybe do. If he could use his powers against our enemies….” He wondered if Hux could actually be bored by Alsen or annoyed enough.

He doubted it, but it was a fun thought, at least.

He noted the one that Paquin picked up, but sighed and shook his head, “So far these are all fairly similar.” Not to each other, but, “Masters passing on messages to students, advice on some Force tricks, locations or riddles of where their apprentice can find them…there’s been nothing notable among them so far,” Gnaeus answered.

He supposed Paquin didn’t really know how boring holocrons could be, yet. “Have you ever opened a holocron yet?” He actually couldn’t recall her doing so, but he didn’t know all that she got up to, or what Kylo may have shown her, just yet.

~***~

“Dreadnaughts are incoming.”

Kylo was almost disappointed to hear it, but he did start to pull back and turn away, a few TIEs breaking off to pursue him, as well. As he pulled back, it was easy to see how Tarkin’s forces might be convinced that they were overwhelmed. The TIE forces that had come from within the blockade ships were numerous, and had taken down plenty of their own forces.

Kylo didn’t like the feeling in his gut that the Admiral could have won this fight, if it weren’t for the dreadnaughts. ‘Part of the illusion.’

Tarkin didn’t yet know how much they had, and while this would give him a good idea, it still meant they would take victory from this battle, at least.

Kylo did take down a few more TIEs on his way back towards the ships, unknowingly bringing down the one pursuing Ariel. He actually didn’t know what ship she was in, although he could feel her presence near.

The appearance of the dreadnaughts, all seeming to arrive in unison, was a startling one, even though Kylo was expecting it.

It was quite the sight to see those fully charged weapons lance out from each ship at once, and strike at the destroyers that were around Kamino.

Kylo could only hope that one of the ships that went down, held Admiral Motti himself, as he curved back around to help clean up the TIEs and convince them they wanted to flee to the destroyers and jump out of there.

~***~

It seemed Mira was lucky enough to sit near to Hux, and Finn. Hux had pulled out a chair, and Mira did go towards it, only for Finn to take a seat besides her. And Rey on his other side. Mira didn’t fail to notice the look from Poe, as he took up a seat near Leia instead. Luke seemed to grudgingly take a seat by Rey, on Leia’s other side. His mind was whirling with the thoughts of what this triumvirate proposition could be.

August was already trying to convince himself he wasn’t going to have a serious headache as he took a seat closer to Phasma and the Order, rather than the Resistance group.

He gestured, “Let’s hear it,” he already had a feeling he was going to regret this. Yet, the only way to get things done, was to work through the terrible ideas and find what merit they had. If any.

“The triumvirate was meant for times of war, when quick decisions were needed,” Mira recalled, “But we were looking at separating the galaxy into three regions, and having a head over that, as well, who could become a part of the triumvirate if it was needed. There would still be a senate, with a representative of each planet. The same for each planet.”

August was already shaking his head. “What? Too large, too many leaders, Tarkin?” Poe snapped at him.

“Actually, no. It’s too small.” That was not what Poe was expecting. Nor, in truth, Luke – he imagined Tarkin would have preferred a single heading, like so many other Imperials. “Say what you will about the Empire, but the system of governance was actually fairly well done, so far as sectoring off things and providing a moff head over the sectors. Three heads are hardly enough to address anything, in peace or in war. I’ve learned enough of that from my own war council.”

“All we have to do is give Alsen a megaphone and this war will be over in twenty minutes,” Paquin giggled, but there was still a part of her that was saddened by her own comment. She wished it could be that easy. Alas, it wasn’t. But maybe if they tried…

Gnaeus didn’t seem terribly impressed with the content of the holocrons, but from his descriptions, Paquin was rather intrigued. Force tricks, riddles. She didn’t think any of that would relate to the things Paquin wanted to look into, but they still seemed better than what she’d spent the last few hours doing. “Seems sort of notable to me,” then again, holocrons were all new to her. She hadn’t gone through however many with the same or similar content.

Something Gnaeus asked about.

She nodded her head. “I did, once. The one Kylo and I found in that tomb,” the one with the prophecy stuff. Paquin unconsciously rubbed her hand over her thigh as she recalled that unfortunate adventure. The rock in her leg, the pain. Snoke wanting her to be left. Kylo not leaving her. That thought warmed her. She sighed, “Then we handed it over to Snoke, I didn’t get much of a chance to mess with it.” She didn’t seem to get chances to mess with much Force stuff, really. She hoped there could be more time for that now. Now that they wouldn’t be tasked with anything by Snoke.

But maybe not, if these sort of things with Alsen or planets would instead take up her time. “That’s something I was hoping to do, or improve upon, going through all of Snoke’s stuff. Learn a thing or two about the Force,” and more than that.

-

Ariel was a bit disappointed that the TIE chasing her would not get hit by a dreadnought, as marginally small a chance of that would be. Would’ve been fun to see, anyway. She did flip back around as the rival TIE was shot down, noting she had Kylo to thank for it. Combined with sensing him, Kylo just flew differently. Strange as it sounded, he was distinct amongst the rest of the pilots.

Soon the dreadnoughts sliced through the stars and blackness of space to come to their aid, massive and admittedly terrifying. Ariel was happy that they were on their side. She wondered what their opposers felt, seeing such menacing ships appear out of nowhere. She wondered if they were worried or afraid. If she and Kylo and the rest of the Final Order had done their jobs, it would be entirely unsuspected.

They would win. That much was clear as the dreadnoughts released blows upon their ships.

Ariel did flip back around, to help with the persistent TIEs. And to eliminate the ones that tried to flee, too. Might as well set them back as much as they could.

Though, the destroyers and ships, the ones that hadn’t yet been blown to bits, still fought. Fired at them and Ariel had to swerve to miss blasts. She wondered, then, if they had been given false information. If Tarkin or the First Order had wanted to keep Kamino, they’d fight for it. They weren’t yet fleeing, she was worried they were calling for their own support.

Perhaps they were just trying to get permission to flee. For soon enough the TIEs all seemed to retreat at once, heading for the destroyers. She remained on edge, though, for she wouldn’t be surprised if they were trying to trick them in return.

-

A second Starkiller was sounding rather appealing right about then. He could see it now. His weapon primed, ready to strike on the day of a Senate meeting...perhaps he’d have to eliminate Coruscant, but so be it. Then he’d implement his original plan, take care of Ren after. It all sounded so nice, so easy, straightforward. But then he couldn’t help but think about his fallen weapon. And just how well the Empire had fared with their second planet destroyer.

Hux hadn’t realized how similar Starkiller had been to the Death Star, in the way it was destroyed…

Either way, Hux wouldn’t do that. Knew he couldn’t, it wouldn’t work anyhow. It wasn’t illegal to daydream about it, though. “Did these Moffs not work under Palpatine’s Empire? Palpatine was hardly absent during this time,” Vader, Palpatine, they were active in much of the Empire’s affairs in some way. “We’re not proposing three people will be in charge of thousands of planets, there’s much more to it than that. But in crises, decisions need to be reached quickly. Only a smaller group can achieve that.”

“Does it have to be three, though?” Poe asked and Hux suppressed a sigh.

“No. But the galaxy is already, in a sense, divided into three. The Core, the Mid Rim, and the Outer Rim. Of course there’s also the unknown regions, Wild Space, but that’s largely unexplored.”

“I never thought I’d say this, but I agree with Governor Tarkin,” Leia sighed, resting her arms on the makeshift table. “Three is not enough to handle entire divisions of the galaxy. Perhaps we can suggest the triumvirate idea first to make our real proposition look more appealing.” As if they wouldn’t laugh it away anyway.

Hux didn’t find it amusing either, perhaps that was abundantly clear in his blank look. He inhaled. “Very well. The point being is that we are all well aware of the current format being inefficient. Nothing gets accomplished because the Senate is simply too large. It favors the rich, the Core. However many representatives we decide, we need a smaller assembly, preferably elected individuals,” though Hux wasn’t opposed to a necessary dictatorship, “Not only in times of war. Ones that can individually cater to their rim in peace time and come together, united, to act quickly when the galaxy is threatened. Beyond that, each planet could be appointed an official. We could incorporate the Empire’s sectioning, which planet officials could report to, and so forth.”

Planetary problems could be taken care of by each planet’s officials, and more egregious or complicated things can be worked up, however things needed to be handled. They just had to avoid having so many sectors with so many heads. There had to be an agreeable count.

“How about six, would that be acceptable for you, General Hux?” Poe's comment didn't really help other than it expressing how displeased he was with such low numbers.

Gnaeus snorted, “Try saying that after you’ve seen a hundred of them,” he had seen more than 100 holocrons in his life, he was certain of that. Some were notable, but the vast majority were nothing interesting. They were still worth collecting and cataloguing. Gnaeus supposed he might actually have librarian talents, if he ever cared to expand on them.

That wouldn’t be happening soon.

Paquin had at least seen one before, and as she spoke of it, he noted the place she rubbed, and suspected the wound. He reached for one holocron he hadn’t started yet, setting the one he had been on back in the pile of unfinished ones. He set the Sith one down in front of her. “Well, if you’re on break and don’t think this is too much work, why don’t you open that one?”

They were all Sith here, all with that infamous triangular shape which would offer up its knowledge to the ones able to open it. “I haven’t seen that one. Maybe you’ll be lucky and find one that’s interesting,” even if he selected it, and her opening it would hardly change the contents. Still, he could hope for something to break up the mundane.

~***~

Kylo wouldn’t pretend to know what was in the mind of Admiral Motti as the dreadnaughts fired, and for a few moments, the fighting seemed to continue. Perhaps it was cover fire to help the TIEs get back to the ships.

In either case, Kylo would pursue the TIEs back to their destroyers as they did begin to retreat towards them, and he would let loose fire on the weapons of the destroyers as he got close to them.

“Supreme Leader, it would be advisable for you to remain closer to our ships at this time. We are preparing another strike on the ships.”

Which, of course, was a good thing. Kylo still glared a bit at the comm in his own ship as he swooped under a TIE and destroyed it before it could get into a hangar, peeling away from the destroyer with a few spins to help lose the shots fired at him in exchange.

Admiral Motti should be retreating before the next shot fired – but if not, well, they might do more than decimate his fleet. “Understood, returning to our space.” He did say, shooting forward to the protective area around the destroyers and dreadnaughts, but not intending to jump into a hangar.

~***~

“Mm, I believe they did – though really under Wilhuff Tarkin,” August clarified. Quite a bit of his knowledge on it was due to his infamous relative. He had been far more omnipresent in the minds of others than the Emperor…and woe to anyone Wilhuff had to bring up with the Emperor.

He wasn’t going to be shy here about it.

But he knew a system with a single head also wasn’t soon to work – no Emperor would be involved. “Suggesting the triumvirate idea to help soften the Senate may work,” he allowed. “Six is also too small, Commander Dameron.”

Mira was now the one to look confused, “How many are you thinking, Governor Tarkin?”

“That depends on how many sectors, and how we go about sectoring things off.” He said, “Obviously, we cannot propose the same sectoring as the Empire. People will deny it outright just because of that, but that aside, it can also be improved upon.” He leaned back, folded one knee over the other. “It also benefited the wealthy, which I’m not apt to complain about, but we’re trying not to show favoritism here. Most of you here actually don’t have any investment in any particular planet, so I’ll leave the method to you, but I will offer some ways to consider it.”

Poe arched a brow, but waited.

“The first method is by location, and it was how the Empire did it. It’s straightforward. Planets near each other are naturally drawn to defend each other and work together – they’re also more likely to declare war on one another. Pros and cons.”

“The second possibility is by what a planet does.” He said, and elaborated, “We have many agriworlds, city-worlds, aquatic worlds, mining worlds – the list is endless. Linking them together is another way of dividing them, and in this way, they would all share interests. They’d all be potential rivals, of course.”

“There could also be a general mix. One world of each sort, in a group. This is likely to create insolated trade, and could cause some isolationism, but each sector may also have better odds of protecting each other as they each become a key component.”

“Each planet should have multiple representatives for each species, as well. Otherwise it ends up all human. However, each sector would have one head, with a deputy of sorts. I’d almost want to say it should be insisted on that they can’t be the same species.”

“So, if there are, say, a hundred sectors, that’s a hundred heads?” Poe liked the idea better, but if what they were aiming for was something more cohesive, a hundred seemed like a lot.

“Mm,” August said. “It could be whittled down from there through some method, I’m sure, but even the Emperor wasn’t stupid enough to think he could oversee everything at all times, or even just leave it up to three people at all times. And perhaps that’s where our Force sensitives could even play their role,” on that, he shrugged.

Luke and Mira wouldn’t yet speak to that, given the system itself wasn’t worked out, and the thought of being ‘peacekeepers’ in a system so…divided…seemed questionable at best.

Paquin did chuckle, “I’m sure you’ve got a point there,” she allowed. She figured it all grew monotonous, boring after a while. “From my point of view, though, it all seems very interesting.” Paquin hadn’t opened hundreds of holocrons or learned all the little intricacies, the tricks. She’d only opened the one with the prophecy and that hadn’t helped her much. She wasn’t sure it was helpful at all.

Gnaeus set a holocron in front of her. “I’ll give it a go,” she took it into her hands, twirling it around to inspect it, as if she could determine anything from that. “Don’t hold your breath on anything special,” she wouldn’t call herself entirely lucky. Maybe the fact that she didn’t even pick it would make it lucky.

She set it back down in front of her and shifted to be more comfortable, and then she focused. It was a bit more...difficult than she remembered. She tried not to think too much about it, tried being the keyword. She didn’t consider that maybe this holocron was a greater difficulty or that the environment might have affected her first holocron, or the one now. She worried she was somehow getting worse with the Force.

She didn’t express her worry, not as the holocron glowed and flickered to life. A vague hooded figure projected in front of them, so stereotypically ‘mysterious’ that Paquin was mildly amused by that alone. But what even further amused her, was what the mysterious figure defined. Something about draining the life from living things, which seemed rather interesting. The subject itself wasn’t naturally funny, but given what she’d previously said about Alsen, “Maybe Alsen should join the Knights.”

He could be the new one, then.

-

Ariel received a similar message over her comm, telling her to pull back into the sphere of safety as the fleet would be attacked again. She thought to complain or ignore because she was getting the hang of running down these TIEs, but she supposed she’d rather not get accidentally hit by the upcoming onslaught. With a final shot to a fleeing craft, Ariel spun her ship back around to return to safety.

The sight of the ships retreating must have told Motti and the fleet of what was coming, but they hadn’t yet budged. ‘So they want to be blown out of the sky then?’ Ariel thought Admiral Motti would be smarter than that.

And he was, she supposed. As the dreadnoughts began their initial fire, Motti’s ships reeled back. TIEs retreated into hangars and they began to disperse, quickly. It only took a few seconds of being fired at, apparently, for them to make a smart decision. Ariel wanted to say it felt as if the ships were storming away in anger, some sort of feeling she caught onto, but she didn’t know that for sure.

The opposing ships maneuvered and darted out of the line of fire, into a safe position to shift into lightspeed.

Then space was quiet.

Ariel reached forward to shift her comm connection, trying to get through to Kylo the way she was shown. She wasn’t sure if she did, but whoever she got a hold of would probably relay the question to Kylo. “Should we go down now?” Ariel asked. To make sure the Kaminoans were fine, the facilities hadn’t been destroyed. That there were no remaining ships or soldiers or anything that compromised the planet.

“I’m going down anyway,” Ariel declared before guiding her ship forward. If anything, maybe they’d find more of Snoke’s shit. More things he hid from them.

-

Hux forced himself to contain his displeasure, to not let it show in any visible way. He’d let Tarkin speak, but the numbers kept getting higher and higher. While the sectoring may have made sense, but one hundred people? Maybe that didn’t seem like a lot compared to what the Senate was now, but Hux could guarantee one hundred people was too many.

It was more prone to cliques. Those that headed wealthier sectors would group with those similar. Half would hate the other half. Fifty people hating fifty others didn’t sound like much, but it could cause plenty of ruckus.

Six sounded better, even though Hux knew Poe had been sarcastic about it.

There had to be some way to whittle the number down. “Sectos could be grouped together, perhaps. Have a person or two picked to head such groups,” the number of figures would be determined by the size of the grouped sectors no doubt. “It could be reduced from there, surely. But if what’s insisted upon is a larger group, there will need to be mediators. Moderators.” To keep things on track.

“Which it will be insisted upon,” Leia added. By the Senate. By her. However, moderators didn’t seem like a bad idea. It would work much better in a smaller group than it would a larger one. But it was hard to find anyone unbiased nowadays.

Hux continued, “Either way, the goal is less for three people to oversee it at all times, but rather for the galaxy to be somewhat self-sufficient enough to avoid executive decisions,” get it into stability and maintain it. “As for Force-sensitives, I can hardly speak to that, other than their involvement has been unproductive in the past.” Counter productive, even. Hux knew they had a place. He wasn’t sure where that was. Perhaps peacekeeping, as he’d thought earlier, but only if it came to that. It could quickly become misconstrued, pitted against each other. More war. “The Jedi, anyway.”

“I think it would be best to defer to the Force-sensitives, for that subject,” Leia suggested. The ones who had actual plans for other Force-sensitives, like Luke and Rey, Mira and Finn.

“Agreed.” Came a new voice, to which heads turned to investigate.

Mace Windu showed up after all. Late. With a portable cup of something hot in his hand.

The ability described by another stereotypical hooded figure was nothing that Gnaeus had heard before. In spite of that, he still found it terribly dull. It was another on the list of ways the Sith had tried to prolong and extend their lives, after all. Whether or not it worked was debatable, but seeing as this individual, and all the others, were likely dead – it didn’t seem terribly noteworthy to him.

So, Gnaeus wasn’t paying great attention, though he did chuckle at Paquin’s addition, “He can’t use the Force,” he said. At least, not from what Gnaeus had sensed. Then again, how long had Paquin gone unnoticed?

Finn?

There really should be a better kind of test for that kind of thing.

“This is a pretty standard kind of holocron – Sith masters describing abilities for their apprentices,” except he didn’t address an apprentice, did he? In fact, he hadn’t even introduced himself.

If anything, it sounded more like a memo, rather than an actual message intended for another person, like something he needed to say so he wouldn’t forget.

“Some of the abilities have been useful. Some have turned out to be false. I haven’t heard this one before,” he allowed, “but it seems to fall in line with many Sith’s agenda of trying to prolong their lives indefinitely.” A common subject, at least. “Obviously, nothing’s ever worked.” There was no immortal Sith overlord still around.

~***~

Kylo heard Ariel’s voice over the comms shortly after the satisfying retreat of Admiral Motti’s forces. Well, both satisfying, and terribly unsatisfying. There was plenty of debris to clean-up, but Kylo certainly wished there was more. He would have preferred so much more destruction. Still, what had been predicted, occurred. They were victorious. Motti fled.

It was unlikely he would be returning in force anytime soon.

He responded back, “I’ll join you,” though he supposed they should have a few troops with them, so he also sent out a message back to the bridge crew, “Ariel and myself are going to the ground level of Kamino. Send a couple of contingents of troopers down as well, to check in on the facilities. All of them.”

They had to make sure they were in good order now that they were here, and so Kylo flew down after Ariel. After hearing the response from Admiral Galli that the troopers would be dispatched to all the facilities to check on them, and sweep through them to make sure no one unauthorized was there, and none of their projects were under further threat.

Kylo followed Ariel’s TIE to the landing pad of the facility where Snoke was usually at, when they were on Kamino. He was out of his TIE in a few moments, still in his usual armor. Wearing a TIE pilot suit just never did appeal to him. He gave Ariel’s TIE a once-over. It didn’t seem to be showing any signs of issues.

For once, it wasn’t raining.

And he wasn’t hearing any of the irksome birds, either.

He nodded to Ariel, “Let’s proceed carefully,” he advised, “we don’t know what they’ve done to Kamino,” not that they had been here terribly long, but there were still risks.

No one was coming out to greet them, after all.

~***~

Grouping sectors together made enough sense to August. He was all too aware that cliques were likely to form, special interest groups – there was no way to stop that, in his opinion. No division, no sectoring, nothing that would prevent others from focusing on their needs and their wants. The best thing they could do was try to force them into groups that would make them compromise to allow for the needs of others, too.

This was yet to be seen, and he wasn’t truly a fan of the thought of the Force-sensitives having too much control of ‘breaking up’ those kinds of groups.

He was far less than pleased to hear the voice of the newcomer, and it showed in the way he looked back, eyes narrowed. No, a former Jedi council member, a former Jedi Master, was not what he wanted involved in all of this. This was worse than Luke, who had at least been humbled by his failure to start a new Jedi school.

Mira, at least, was happy to see Mace. This may be a huge mistake, but nonetheless, she was happy about it. Luke’s eyebrows lifted, but he nodded respectfully, as Poe got up, “I’ll go get you a chair,” he offered, since he hadn’t gotten one for Mace before.

“I’m glad you could make it,” Mira said. “You haven’t missed much.”

“No,” Leia sighed. “To summarize it, we’re trying to figure a system of governance that will work better for the galaxy on the whole, than the current system we have, but still allow every planet to be heard. So far, we’ve determined that will require some degree of sectoring things,” Leia added, “We haven’t determined the number, or the means of it, yet,” she added, “nor have we determined how things will be mediated when that is necessary.”

Poe returned with the chair, which he offered to Mace. He would not dare assume he knew where the hell Mace wanted to pull up.

If he didn’t just want to sit right where he was.

“That more or less sums it up,” Luke said in agreement.

So this was really Master Mace Windu? He’d heard the chatter, and that Finn was his son, but…this was strange. Yoda and Obi-Wan had never mentioned him being alive, or sent Luke to go meet him.

He had the distinct impression that Mace already didn’t like him, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back