• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
The base was easy enough to navigate, once Kylo began the process. No one got in his way, no one approached to bother him with anything meaningless. Or meaningful. He was given freedom to roam, no one blocking him from any sort of passage. He likely could have waltzed into any room he wanted, private or public, and not been denied.

It was…a strange freedom to him. He’d had tastes of such freedoms, but never quite in full. Snoke was always above him, guiding his actions, and making sure he did not step out of line. Now, it was just him – and the news of that had already spread through the base. A base with red Stormtroopers. A base with red in the uniforms. With Sith teachings, over Jedi.

Perhaps that was, truly, where they all went wrong, and how Hux fell onto the wrong side of things.

He did pause to speak with a few people, and near the end of it all, on his way back, he was paused himself by the Friendly Officer, Colonel Alsen, who let him know that there had been a complication with the First Order. It was back in the hands of the wrong Hux. Kylo was asked how he wanted to proceed with that, and Kylo told him to wait until tomorrow.

No fuss. Not so much as a sour look, though Kylo left Alsen with a bitter taste in his mouth. That’s what he got for letting Hux live, wasn’t it? ‘You had every opportunity.’ If he hadn’t wanted the man to suffer, he could have snapped his neck in a second.

But, he hadn’t.

Just as he hadn’t finished off Mira, or Leia, or anyone. He could only hope for lasting damage at this point – but he wasn’t sure how to plan to take over the Order again, or if that should even be their present priority.

He would sleep on it.

Except, rather like Paquin, his sleep was also restless. He couldn’t put it back together when he woke. It was a mess of voices, and the familiar breathing of Darth Vader he used to hear when he held the mask. It was the hiss of lightsabers, and the flare of red flashes. It was deadened gazes, and it was a promise – a promise forgotten when he jerked to sit up, and stare at the darkness of his room.

He took a breath.

And then he forced himself to take another, slowly slipping into meditation – until, eventually, his alarm would disturb him and he would move to get ready for the day, and push beyond his dream.

At least he had clean things to change into, his armor in the hallway, repaired. He would need more of that, but for now, this would suffice.

At least they were quick with it.

He didn’t see Gnaeus’s clothes outside, so he assumed Gnaeus was up and moving.

~***~

Kevan could tell he’d struck a nerve. He was used to striking nerves, rarely intentionally. It was sort of what he did. “Woah, woah, I don’t mean it like that. I’m sorry,” he said, as Luke was ushering them up. Rey was getting up, too, but she gave the designated Kevan-Space a harsh look for his comment that offended Finn. “It was meant to be a tease, but I see I fucked that up. I’m sorry, Finn. Seeing good ain’t bad, just…you know, it might be beneficial to be a little more paranoid.”

Rey would move with Finn, even if she was staying with Luke. For now. This was a weird situation, and trying to keep her focus on the voice was at least good training. In theory. “Why did you even become a Knight?” Rey asked.

I mean. It was become a knight or die on Korriban. I chose life.” Kevan answered. Which was pretty much true. “I found Kylo and Mira on Korriban, I meant to steal from them. It didn’t go over well.” At all. “And then I thought they might be on to something, even if Snoke was shady, about changing the galaxy, making it better. They really believed it.”

Back then.

He wasn’t so sure of that, now. Or rather, wasn’t so sure they knew what was right. Mira might be doing better, but that didn’t mean she was off the hook of suspicion. No one was, really. Paranoia had served Kevan well through periods of his life, he wouldn’t give it up just because he was, well, dead.

“Who is this Paquin?” Rey asked then.

She didn’t think it was anyone she had met. Yet.

~***~

Roisin started to shake her head. It wasn’t too late for her to travel. It wasn’t as if she’d really be disturbing anyone on her way back, and she did need to be back for work. Of course, she could also call in and take a day off. It was short notice, but things happened, and if she was going to be available to meet this Mira….

“I’m more worried about inconveniencing you,” Roisin admitted, “I think it might be better if I go home. I didn’t really pack to stay,” no clothes, no toothbrush – nothing. “I can take the day off all the same, and be ready to this meet this Mira, if you think it would happen tomorrow.” Take two days off if she needed it. She had vacation time waiting for her. This was short-notice, but she’d served them well for years.

She’d just claim to be sick.

Tempting as it was to look over at Hux’s message, she didn’t. She distracted herself with Millicent.

This seemed…important enough to Hux. She wanted to be available, and so, she would be. She would try to look at Mira with fresh eyes, and not worried ones. Try to imagine her son wasn’t being duped. ‘No one on Arkanis likes Mira.’ That was a point to her favor. She’d keep that in mind, too.

~***~

Mira had found her way back to her room, after a bit. After bumping her shoulder, again. She was fairly certain she was just going to have a permanent bruise on her left shoulder. Of course, that was the least of her concerns with the left side of her existence.

She didn’t think she would be sleeping anytime soon.

Certainly not before Finn returned. She did go about the task of starting to clean up the ice cream that was left behind, so it wouldn’t melt. She didn’t know when Finn would get back, after all. The Force let her carry the many pints off, and return them.

When she got back to the room, she noted her new datapad was lit up with a message, so she gave it a look as she took a seat on her cot.

The message baffled her.

There was nothing in the words themselves that were confusing, so much as the message simply being wholly unexpected. How did Hux meet his mom? He promised to explain in the morning.

He probably thought she was asleep.

No matter.

You may want to arrive earlier to leave time to explain.
She hardly knew how the morning was going to go, but that seemed a safe assumption.

Paquin showered again, despite doing so hours before. She wasn’t really unclean, so much as overheated. Really, it just gave her something to do so early in the morning. She wished she could say it eased her, but every time she closed her eyes to keep the water out, she saw Kylo. And even when her eyes were open, she thought she heard that strange voice over the sounds of the running water, calling her name. It made her pause a few times.

She dressed in the clothes she’d found outside of her door on her way to the showers, sans the heavy top. She didn’t think she needed it and she didn’t like it in the first place. So it was dropped off with the rest of her shower things on the way to the cantina. The cantina was a bit more busy than it had been the night before, a few people flooding in. But the seat by the viewport was still available, so Paquin gathered breakfast for herself and took to her seat.

The food selection was vast, but Paquin settled for oatmeal and black coffee. Paquin wasn’t actually a big fan of coffee, especially not the bitterness of black coffee. But it was healthier than some concoctions and she drank it more for function than anything else. She wasn’t really hungry, either, and mostly ate the berries off the top of her oatmeal. She left it alone as she opted to watch the sunrise, the food having long gone cold by the time Ariel sauntered in. She looked groggy and disheveled, still in the same clothes from last night. But she still looked healthy, more so than she has.

Ariel didn’t seem to notice Paquin as she got herself breakfast of pancakes and sausage, with a side of juice that was certainly not what she wanted to be sipping on the morning. It was only once she turned around that she noticed Paquin, moving to drop her plate next to hers and join her. Ariel said nothing as she dropped her head onto Paquin’s shoulder. “Good morning,” Paquin greeted, resting her own head on top of Ariel’s. “Did you sleep well?”

Ariel hummed a confirmation. “Too well, I wish I was still sleeping. Did you and Kylo have fun last night?” She did catch a whiff of Paquin then, commenting on it, “You smell nice,” Ariel thought a shower would be nice after eating.

Paquin did smile, “Thank you. And yes, our time together was nice. Have you seen Gnaeus or Kylo yet?” She asked, to which Ariel only shook her head before lifting it, setting to her task of eating.

-

Luke was offering them some form of goodnight, telling them they knew where to find him if they had trouble, but Finn wasn’t really listening to him. It was hard to inbetween being ushered out, trying to stay focused, and listening to Kevan. Finn did mumble something of a goodbye before the door whoosh closed behind them. Finn almost felt the need to check to make sure Kevan was following, but…

Finn sighed as Kevan apologized. “Yeah, I’m sorry too. It was a bit much. I just don’t appreciate...being reduced, I suppose,” he’d lacked an identity for so long, he didn’t want to be compared or be seen as less than someone. “And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with seeing the good in things. I think I do it a healthy amount,” he’d seen enough bad things, assumed the worst of most. Perhaps he had to read the situation better, but stars forbid he want to assume the best.

If he hadn’t thought that way, well, where would Mira have ended up? What would their relationship be?

Of course, at the same time, “I find it hard to believe Kylo Ren ever wanted something better for the galaxy,” Mira, maybe, but Kylo? He thought he was right, probably, but he wasn’t. And Finn thought he’d had enough Kylo experiences to think a bit negatively about him. “What if you hadn’t been Force-sensitive?” A question whose answer was obvious, he’d be dead. Well, sooner than he was dead. Finn moved over that question quickly when Rey had one of her own.

“Paquin is–was a medic for the Order. I always thought she was nice,” which was out of place. She actually seemed to care about the troopers. He supposed it was her job. But he’d run into her a few times, in the medbay and in the halls. He never thought… “She’s a Knight of Ren now, somehow. And I suppose she’s responsible for Kevan’s death?” That’s what he gathered, anyway, and he left room for Kevan to clarify. “I really misjudged that one.” Okay, maybe Finn was starting to see Kevan’s point.

“She’s really starting to fit into that prophecy now.” They’d made their way back to the room then. “Speaking of, you wanted to get into the holocron, didn’t you?” He asked Kevan then, remembering the thing. Maybe he thought there was some sort of correlation too. Or maybe he just wanted to fuck around and get their attention, which was also just as likely.

-

Hux was surprised when a message came back so quickly. He had assumed she’d be sleeping, or at least somewhat occupied. But she wasn’t, it seemed, and he wondered what she was up to. He didn’t ask though, and instead typed out a different message.

Noted, will plan on it. I’ll see you early in the morning.

He did pause before he committed to sending it. He debated whether or not adding something about sleeping, for he knew it was something of a challenge for her. He did bite the inside of his cheek before typing up an addition and hitting send on the whole thing.

Sleep well.

He knew that was easier said, and he wished he’d insisted on Mira keeping the void stone with her instead. There was no Snoke to worry about anymore, so she didn’t need it to protect herself anymore. Apart from maybe Kylo Ren and the Knights, but Hux didn’t believe any of them had the same capabilities as Snoke. But perhaps having the stone would have allowed her to rest easier. Oh well. Perhaps she’d be able to make use of it the following night, for hopefully she’d be back on the ship.

Hux brought his attention back to his mother, shaking his head, “It’s hard to inconvenience me,” it was easy to annoy him, though, and sometimes he let himself be inconvenienced so he had an excuse to be annoyed. But that was another matter, and he began to type away on his datapad again, requesting for a shuttle back to Arkanis to be put together, “We’ll make note of the location you’re returned to. Someone will pick you up from there tomorrow,” because Hux would make it work.

“We should exchange contact information, too. So I can send you a message beforehand. And keep in contact beyond that.” He did want to.

Gnaeus would be in the cantina before Kylo – although not by much. He got a bit turned around a few times, even with a map, and an officer ended up showing him the way. They patted Gnaeus on the arm once he was there, and Gnaeus was left with that eerie sense of unease – but hunger overrode it, and he was quick to find himself biscuits to slather in gravy, among other foods.

Kylo was only a minute or so behind him, and noticed Paquin and Ariel already sitting. He lifted a hand in greeting towards them, but continued on his way to get actual food. Heavy on the protein, as usual, and with a glass of water.

Gnaeus would end up just going along with him, not realizing Ariel and Paquin were there, until they were nearly at the table. “Oh! Good morning,” Gnaeus greeted, taking a seat by Ariel so Kylo could sit by Paquin.

No more point in making them jealous.

Kylo easily took to his seat by Paquin. “How long were you two up?” Gnaeus asked, not meaning it as an innuendo, though he wondered after it was said if he should have clarified in some way.

“A few hours,” Kylo answered, more for himself. He let out a disgruntled sound as he stabbed a bit of the sausage on his plate with a fork, “General Hux has the Order back under his control,” Kylo wasn’t happy about that, nor had he figured out what to do about it since he learned it, and woke up. Brendol wasn’t really an ideal leader to begin with, even if he listened.

He had still willingly betrayed his son.

He was a hard person to consider trusting, given that alone.

Gnaeus’s brows lifted, but he wasn’t actually…well, surprised. This was Hux. And Hux himself had plenty of allies, as they saw on Korriban.

“I guess we have to get it back,” Gnaeus said, although he wondered after he said it if they really did. They had a lot here…maybe it would just be easier to destroy it, like the Resistance. Sure, the First Order had decent supplies, but it wasn’t really necessary. He hoped.

~***~

“I’ll keep it in mind. Let me know if I fuck up again, okay? I like friendly teasing not…that.” Kevan clarified to Finn, not at all thinking Finn needed to apologize, but glad for it as well. Relationships were weird. Especially when he didn’t have a body and body language involved in it. That said a lot.

He could only use words.

And words would probably never convince him that Kylo had once been less evil. More innocent. “Yeah, I’d be dead if I didn’t have the Force,” he confirmed. He supposed that was his one stroke of luck in all that – he had the Force.

And this Paquin had apparently been a medic. He picked up bits and pieces around the Knights, but not too much. He hadn’t wanted to be around them, even if haunting Kylo had come to mind once or twice. Multiple times. He wanted to learn how to possess or talk to birds to get his revenge on Kylo Ren.

Oddly enough, he wasn’t all that upset with Paquin. Well, he was – but she was just this fresh-faced Knight on a mission. It was hard to be that upset. He knew that position. He’d slaughtered ewoks from that position before.

“Maybe.” It was all he could say to Finn’s thoughts of misjudging her. “It happens. But now that you can hear me, I can actually help.” In theory.

Rey seemed to doubt it.

“I wanted to go back and try to get through the static on that holocron. That’s pretty abnormal. It’s not like film. That shouldn’t happen unless it’s been corrupted, somehow.” Kevan was saying about the holocron. “I heard of the prophecy, too.”

They were returning to the room, Mira looking over a message, and sending a simple one back. She did pause in sending it, though, to look up as she heard the steps. “The ice cream!” Rey sounded upset.

“It was melting, Rey,” Mira stated. “You can go get more.”

Should she ask if they could talk to Kevan?

She didn’t need to: “Luke was able to help us connect to Kevan,” Rey answered. “Why didn’t you stay?” She almost sounded accusing.

“Luke can’t teach me anything, anymore.”

“It’s not that hard – we could.”

“No, Rey.” Mira cut in. “Thank you.”

She sent her message so she could stop overthinking it.

Good night, General.

Whether or not she’d sleep was debatable. Sleeping well, questionable. She should…Snoke was gone…but she didn’t think sleep would be that easy, so soon.

Kevan remained silent.

~***~

Hux continued with his datapad. Roisin saw a moment’s surprise pass his face, but it fled just as quickly. He must have gotten information he didn’t expect. Either way, he did not seem terribly bothered by her leaving. He was willing to get a ship prepared to take her back, and have another ready to pick her up tomorrow, too. Whenever.

He didn’t seem to think there would be any issue with this.

“Yes, we should,” Roisin would take out her own datapad once more, and rattle off her information for Hux to add it into his, and be prepared to take down his – or save his information if he preferred to just send a message.

It was…sad, to be leaving already.

Sad to be leaving without Brendol dead.

Yet, she had met her son. It had gone well. She would fail at killing Brendol again, just to meet her son once more. That was worth it. Although, admittedly, she still hoped that something killed Brendol, sooner or later. She might just have to hope that Phasma would do it. Or Mira. She didn’t know the women, but if Hux liked them…well, maybe they’d look out for him. Just a bit.

Once the information had been exchanged, she did rise. She wouldn’t attempt a hug. They probably weren’t going to be at that point for a while, but she did say, “Well…despite my intentions here, I’m rather glad with how this failure’s gone.” Glad to meet him. Glad to know he wasn’t a puppet of Brendol.

Paquin mumbled her own greetings to the two as they joined them, her hand reaching to run over Kylo’s shoulder as he sat. Ariel’s welcomes to them came out between bites of food. She supposed it had been a while since the redhead had eaten, she was understandably hungry. Paquin was content, sort of, with sipping on her bitter coffee. She let Kylo answer Gnaeus’s question, even if Kylo’s answer didn’t apply to her. And of course, she didn’t detect any innuendo.

Paquin wasn’t surprised either by Kylo’s revelation that Hux already had control over the Order again. She knew how the high command favored Hux. How most favored him over Brendol. Since he’d escaped, it had only been a matter of time. Ariel didn’t react so kindly to the news, but not so much about the fact that Hux had the Order again. The redhead groaned, “Stars, Kylo, the first thing you say is bad news! Couldn't it have waited for, like, five minutes?” Or until after breakfast.

She wasn’t awake enough to think about these things. She sighed. “Sorry.” She was just irritable early in the morning. And without her alcohol. “We’ll just have to kill Hux,” as if killing Hux would be that easy. Well, it would be. If they just knew where to find him. He didn’t have the Force, what would he do? “That chrome bitch, too…it would probably be easy from there. Mira’s only got one foot in the Order, the other in...whatever the hell she’s doing.”

Though, the Order didn’t seem like a priority right then, and Paquin did try to move away from it.

“There’s still much to do here, too. Maybe Pryde can offer some input, or after the meetings we can figure it out,” they’d have a better idea of their resources and where they were. “How was everyone’s first night here? Kylo, you promised you’d tell me, us, about your exploration.”

-

Finn had a few questions for Kevan, regarding the holocron and how it was apparently corrupted, but they’d have to wait as they entered the room occupied by Mira. Rey seemed to think the lack of ice cream meant the end of the world and Finn couldn’t help but laugh at her a bit. Of course, he placed a ‘soothing’ hand on her back before he went to sit on his own bed as the two continued on.

He did frown, a bit, at Rey’s tone as well as Mira interrupting Rey. Clearly this was a sensitive subject, Finn wasn’t sure if it had more to do with Luke or with Kevan. He’d have to ask her about it. Later, maybe. He’d see how the following conversation would go.

Mira seemed occupied with her datapad, creating a message of some sort. Finn was curious. It was probably to Hux, he imagined she didn’t really have many contacts on that thing yet. He did briefly think about teasing her, to break the strange feeling that hung in the room. Even Kevan was silent for the first time since Finn had been able to hear him.

Finn looked to Rey, to help make this less awkward. She opened and closed her mouth trying to think of something to say, “Kevan says the plant is his,” she offered. That was something nice, right? “He says a lot of things, actually.”

“He does. No offense, Kevan,” Finn looked at the newly designated Kevan space. “We can’t actually see him, it’s just, y’know, easier to look at something,” he clarified in case Mira thought they could actually look upon him. Finn did wonder, though, if Kevan looked at things like a living person did, if he stood in place. Or if he was all around them. Or something else. “Anyway, Kevan did say now that we can hear him, he thinks he can help us with stuff, I guess. Like the holocron, he says he wanted to get through the static, it was corrupted or something.” Not that the holocron was particularly important, but…

Moving on. “Well...um. Now that Rey and I can hear Kevan...is there anything anyone wants to say to each other?” Finn asked, looking from Kevan-space to Mira, sparing a glance at Rey, too.

-

Hux was a bit...reluctant, perhaps, to part with Roisin so soon. But he had a lot to do before the morning, and low on his list of tasks was sleeping. If anything, he’d probably just lay on his bed for a few hours, awake, and then get up to go. That was usually enough rest for him. There was still much to sort of what Brendol had done and he wanted time to think about all he wanted to address tomorrow.

His mother’s appearance gave him more to think about.

Hux saved Roisin’s information and did send her a message to provide his own. It said nothing but his name. Well, Hux. But he figured that would be hard to get confused if she didn’t add his name immediately.

The General’s nose scrunched a bit as he tried to suppress the threat of a smile at her words. “Despite your bold, poorly planned assassination attempt, you mean? I, too, am rather pleased with how it’s ended up. Unexpected, but...good.” Hugging her didn’t cross his mind. It wasn’t something instinctual in him, though he wouldn’t have done it anyway if it was.

He did consider shaking her hand though, but would that be strange to her? It seemed strange to him. “I’ll send you the details early in the morning, so you’ll have time to know if you can make it or not,” Hux figured he’d probably travel to the Resistance base not long after sunrise, which would also be early on Arkanis. Hopefully that would be enough time for her to figure things out. “I’ll walk you to the hangar,” he offered. Plenty of time to figure out whether or not to shake her hand.

Millicent meowed, hopping off the couch to rub against Roisin’s leg. Perhaps she knew they were leaving.

A slight shiver ran up Kylo at the touch. He wasn’t awake enough to remember, or consider, expecting it. He took a moment to look over at Paquin, but returning the kind of affection in a natural way didn’t come to his mind. Particularly not with the terrible things on his mind that Ariel complained about.

He gave Ariel a frown for the complaint even as she apologized for it, before spearing more food onto his fork. “I’ve been dealing with this news for hours,” he said to her complaint of it waiting five more minutes.

Obviously, they were going to have to kill Hux, though. That would probably have to rank up there higher than it had in the past, given how quickly Hux was able to get the First Order back under his command. He nodded. Mira didn’t have enough sway in the Order to really hold it against them, no matter her rank.

Phasma would – but Phasma would also be easy enough to get rid of.

Although whatever Mira was doing, was probably more detrimental.

Gnaeus swallowed down a bite, before answering, “Sleep was good,” no nightmares for him. “Bed’s comfy,” which was nice. “Still want to decorate the room, though.”

Kylo rolled his eyes. “I did take a walk around the base,” he said, “it’s not much more exciting than the Finalizer,” or any other ship they had, for that matter. Not really. “There’s more labs than I expected,” perhaps he should have expected it, given what Pryde told him, “and more of the Sith Troopers, though there does appear to be obvious divisions between where they are, and where officers are.”

There were more officers than he expected, too. He was almost certain the officers – or at least, non-Trooper class – outnumbered the Troopers.

“Did you actually get all around the base?”

Kylo shook his head, “I think it would take several hours to do that,” more time than he was willing to spend. He’d been tired. It took too long trying to walk all around Starkiller base, though he’d done that, at least, a few times.

He would inevitably walk all around this base and learn it inside and out.

“Did you see what sort of things they were working on?” Gnaeus asked.

“Synthetic kyber projects and they did seem to have some of the sith artifacts here,” Kylo answered.

~***~

Kevan remained the central subject. Mira shouldn’t be surprised by it. She wasn’t. For as much as she wanted to look the other way, congratulate the kids on figuring out how to talk to a ghost, and move on – she knew that was stupidly naïve. Kevan was a Knight of Ren. More than that, he was the one she’d thrown everything away for, even if that hadn’t been her intention.

And she’d still throw him away, for all that she had.

That realization lingered as she let her gaze drift to the plant. She wasn’t surprised by the news, Luke had all but said it earlier.

Mira nodded to Finn’s latter assessment. Yes, the holocron was weird, and shouldn’t be static-y. That was an oddity, but she had considered it could be age and the impression left on it was failing. Perhaps that wasn’t the case. Kevan might know better, given his…state. Mira didn’t actually know.

Of course, Finn would also try to break the ice. The odd silence that Kevan had fallen under, and Mira’s avoidance. Speaking through intermediaries, however, was strange. There was much to say. Too much to say, too much to ask. ‘I’m sorry.’ Mira knew those were the only real words she needed to say. To apologize, for everything. For leaving him on Tatooine, for not going with him, for not regretting it….

Mira just sighed. “I don’t even know where to begin.” She did.

“I do!” Kevan, of course, who Mira couldn’t hear. “Has she kissed Hux yet? I need to know. I am dying—not literally—dying to know. I can’t see them together because of that stupid stone.”

“Kevan, really?” Rey sounded almost offended that such a thing was what Kevan wanted to ask.

Mira arched a brow. “He said something stupid, didn’t he?”

“He is always saying something stupid,” Rey complained, and was a little happy to see a small smile twitch onto Mira’s lips. “Honestly, I don’t see how you two ever got on.”

“You’re not asking her the question!”

“His annoying habits were weirdly endearing.” He wasn’t afraid of her. He didn’t treat her any different. She’d liked that, about him.

“Fiiiiinnnn!”

~***~

Roisin would immediately save Hux’s name as just that – Hux. No addition of Brendol, or Armitage. It wasn’t necessary. She would never save Brendol’s information.

She allowed a soft laugh at his description of events. He wasn’t wrong, and Roisin couldn’t fault him for the way he phrased it. “Yes, despite that,” at least he could easily understand why she wanted to kill Brendol. Just as she could imagine why he wasn’t killing Brendol. Family ties were always difficult things. Families were difficult things. She knew that only too well, from her blood relations, and the family she made.

Rhea was going to want all the details.

She looked down at Millicent as the cat hopped off the couch, and she bent a moment to offer a parting scratch to the cat’s ears, “Now, now, you be good, Millicent. I’ll see you again,” soon, perhaps. It struck her then how odd it was that Millicent was an orange cat. That there were so many red-heads, in some way, in this family – even by choice.

Roisin straightened up, and would follow along with Hux. She didn’t rightly know her way back to the hangar, so she had no plans of trying to get ahead. Honestly, she probably couldn’t find her way back to Brendol’s cell.

It was all just so…large.

“I hope everything will go well for you, tomorrow,” Roisin added, as they exited his room. She wasn’t sure if she should try to keep Millicent in, so she didn’t react when the cat attempted to follow them into the hall.

Ariel shoveled another forkful of food into her mouth to suppress a comment along the lines of the news being his problem. She thought better of it, there was no use complaining now. And really, what was Kylo’s problem was automatically the rest of theirs, too. But still, if it wasn’t urgent, it could’ve waited until after Ariel had finished her juice at least.

Paquin was glad that at least Ariel and Gnaeus had slept well. Paquin wondered what Gnaeus wanted to decorate his room with, she thought to ask. But she didn’t get the chance to fit it in, she’d just have to ask later. Kylo didn’t mention whether or not his sleep was pleasant when he spoke, but she supposed she’d only asked him directly about his exploration. She just assumed he might mention something. But he didn’t touch on any of his personal thoughts at all.

“What kind of sith artifacts? More masks?” Ariel asked, for she didn’t know much of what they could do with synthetic kyber. She was only familiar with its uses in lightsabers. She hadn’t read much else about it. But sith artifacts, she had had a vast knowledge of.

“We should take a look at them,” Paquin suggested. “Maybe you can show us after we meet with this Gideon man?”

“Gideon?” Ariel hoped she wouldn’t have to remember any names.

“Kylo and I went to the laundry room last night and the droid told us to discuss armor with a man named Captain Gideon,” Paquin explained.

“We’re getting new armor?” Ariel asked, perking up a bit. That sounded fun, especially if she could have some involvement in it. She had a long list of desires she’d developed over the years because, frankly, she didn’t like wearing armor.

-

Finn furrowed his brows at the subject Kevan wanted to ask about. He knew there was more to Mira and Hux’s relationship, and he’d been fine with that. It was simply gross to think about Hux kissing someone. Especially someone Finn himself cared about.

“No, they’re just annoying,” Finn complained. He supposed he meant it to be playful, but there was just a bit of genuineness when Kevan whined his name like a kid. But Kevan had his moments already, where he was obnoxiously endearing. “Is there seriously nothing else that you want to ask her, tell her about? Literally anything? These are the first words you want to say to Mira since...?” Since he’d kicked it.

Finn wouldn’t mention how it was technically him saying the words, either.

“I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this,” the answer was no, because for some reason Mira and Hux did not pursue the obvious feelings they had. Or maybe they were in secret, simply not telling anyone. But Finn sincerely doubted that based on what he knew of the pair. “But Kevan wants to know if you and Hux have...kissed yet.” The words almost pained Finn as they came out of his mouth.

Even Rey’s face scrunched as he asked it out loud.

“There. Don't you follow us around anyway, wouldn’t you know these things?” Finn said, almost to distract Mira from answering. Maybe it was a bit childish, but did he really need that image in his mind?

-

Hux didn’t pay much mind to Millicent trying to follow them. She was good at keeping close, so he didn’t intervene as she picked up her pace to trot through the closing door. He’d just pick her up once they neared the hangar so she didn’t try to run off on any leaving ships. Like Roisin’s. One stowaway was enough for the night, Hux thought.

Hux could’ve navigated the Destroyer much quicker than he did. He’d lived on it for years, knew all the quickest routes at all hours, but yet he found himself weaving through unnecessary halls, not that Roisin would know it. He found he actually enjoyed speaking with Roisin. A feat few had accomplished, not annoying him at some point in their conversation. And if he was entirely honest, he was a bit paranoid this was the last time he’d see the woman.

She’d abandoned him once, she could do it again. He’d been a child before, but now he was an adult. She saw what he was into and who he was.

Perhaps, of course, his paranoia was baseless.

“Thank you. I hope it goes well, too. It’s a rather important meeting. A stepping stone to something much bigger. I hope to be able to tell you more about it, someday soon,” for the moment, though, it was all up in the air. And of course, he couldn’t yet trust her with details on things like this.

As they neared the hangar, Hux scooped his cat up and kept her tucked under his arm, just as a Stormtrooper approached. “General, the shuttle is ready,” the modulated voice informed.

Hux nodded and the trooper departed. Hux was silent for a beat. “It was...very nice to meet you, Roisin. I look forward to seeing more of you, meeting your family. As well as you meeting–” his? “Admiral Vallens.” Someone important to him.

Kylo nodded. There had been more masks, “Most of it seemed to be attire kinds of things,” jewelry, robes, things a Sith would have worn enough to leave an imprint behind, as with the masks. Gnaeus didn’t look thrilled with that, but then again, he knew to be wary of these kinds of things. He didn’t know why Snoke – or this Final Order – had so many in that vein.

He preferred holocrons. Lightsabers. Stones. Not things that were worn. He considered those more dangerous than the other types of artifacts.

Gnaeus wouldn’t comment on that. He wanted new armor. “I bet it’s going to be red,” he said, mostly to Ariel, but obviously to everyone.

“No,” Kylo would not wear blindingly red armor. He would wear black. That was it. “But we are going to go meet with Gideon to discuss this,” he agreed. He’d nearly forgotten in his anger at the situation with the Order, but this was necessary. They had to become ready for combat, which was inevitable. They needed better armor, even if he had on a repaired set.

It was time to upgrade.

Time to feel and look like this was a new start, for all of them. Which meant better armor. Armor they could each customize a bit more to their preferences, and fighting styles.

“Okay, but, can I have a hat rather than a helmet?” Gnaeus asked.

Kylo sighed, “It’s not going to protect you, Gnaeus.”

He knew this.

“And you keep getting injured.”

He lost a hand.

“If I lose my head, I don’t think I’m coming back, Kylo.”

“That’s why you wear a helmet.” Kylo said. Gnaeus could argue that he had worn his armor when he fought Mira, but that was pointless. His situation might have been worse if he hadn’t been wearing it. He might have lost even more of his arm. “You can at least make it more comfortable this time around.”

Gnaeus sighed, but he would relent. He would prefer to keep his head, and he didn’t think they were going to find much sympathy on the other side any longer. Not after Kylo tried to kill Leia. And Hux. And Mira.

At least Luke didn’t seem to be helping them out.

~***~

Mira wondered how Finn and Kevan might have gotten along, had Kevan been alive. Somehow, she still imagined it would have gone well, once Kevan figured out how not to annoy Finn as much. Kevan always started off, well…too much. Always, too much. Yet, somehow, he’d managed to handle the personalities of Mira and Kylo.

Ariel and Gnaeus.

He might have even liked Paquin, too. She could imagine Kevan trying to get Paquin to tell stories about medicine in attempts to gross everyone else out. Only to end up grossed out himself.

And so his question didn’t surprise her, even as it came through Finn’s lips. She just heaved a sigh. “No, Kevan.” Mira sounded exasperated as she answered him.

Even as he was answering Finn – though Mira didn’t know that. “They have a thing that prevents me from seeing much. That stone thing? I can’t get into the field and see what’s going on. So I don’t know, because Hux has the stone thing.”

Rey said, “Kevan can’t see things in the field of a certain stone,” to Mira, so she knew what was being said.

“Sounds like I need another stone.”

“Rude!”

“You’re the rude one, spying on people!”

“It was literally my job. I am a spy. Literally.” Kevan said, a reminder, though Rey just furrowed her brows. Not that she knew. She hadn’t been on the Resistance base when Kevan was captured.

“Kevan was a spy?”

“Diplomat,” Mira corrected.

“Semantics.”

“But it…did occasionally serve that role,” she hadn’t forgotten the Resistance incident. The thought all but consumed her, really, with the conflict of a needed apology. “He got caught by the Resistance. I got him out of the mess but just made it worse.” He might have been safer with the Resistance.

“How is Rollo, anyways? Also, what is Rollo’s favorite candy? Anyone know?”

Rey ignored Kevan, not familiar with this ‘Rollo’. “I’m sorry, Kevan.” She didn’t specify what for. That was too hard.

“Eh. You didn’t try to kill me. You didn’t want me dead.” He didn’t want her dead, either. He hadn’t been sure how he’d avoid that, except by avoiding her, but then she…well, defected, anyways. “Our timing was shit.” She could have realized she’d never be able to hide it, but she didn’t.

He could have realized he needed to abandon everything, and hide differently…but he didn’t. “Hindsight is a bitch.”

~***~

The bit of conversation that peppered their journey to the hangar was distracting enough to make sure Roisin never learned the make-up of the ship she was on – although she did ask about it. She should have asked about its name, but she could at least store that away to ask about later. Next time. ‘A next time….’ It was almost hard to believe even this time was real, and she might have to pinch herself when she did step back onto Arkanis.

Just to be certain she hadn’t dreamt it. She’d had dreams of meeting her son before. Usually it was him as a child, not an adult. She hadn’t known how to imagine him as an adult.

Including a cat wouldn’t have been a part of any dream, she was certain of that, as a smile touched her lips when he picked up Millicent.

It was time to go.

She reached out to offer Millicent one last scratch under her chin, since there was still enough in Hux’s body language to suggest a hug would not be the best idea, “I will look forward to it,” meeting this Admiral who Arkanis so hated, and telling her family about Hux, her long-lost son. She would make sure to make plenty of excuses for why she had to take that day off with the Sindians.

She pulled her hand away, “I’ll see you tomorrow,” a promise she intended to keep, “You too, Millicent.”

A little chirp.

Roisin would force herself to turn away and go towards the ramp’s shuttle.

No handshake, either.

Ariel’s eyes narrowed at Gnaeus claiming the armor would be red, “Like hell.” She mumbled at the time. Ariel liked red. She disliked the Final Order red. Red would not be good as armor, no matter how good it looked with her skin tone. Ignoring Gnaeus and Kylo’s helmet debate, she continued on. “I was thinking more along the lines of white,” she mused, though she knew that would be just as bad. It would get covered in dirt, in blood, quickly. Not to mention, the only places white blended in were desert planets, or snow planets.

“Or maybe something looser,” Ariel added, sipping at her juice now that she had nearly inhaled her breakfast.

Paquin could agree with that sentiment. She found the armor restrictive in some parts. Perhaps something lighter, too, but Paquin wouldn’t get terribly picky. She didn’t know much about armor or what Gideon could be capable of. She did furrow her brows, though, at the concept of wearing a helmet. “I’m not wearing a helmet.”

“Why not?” Ariel asked.

“It would ruin my hair. It would get moist and frizzy. And it would ruin the shape of my curls.”

“I also think a blaster bolt would ruin your face,” Ariel pointed out, though Ariel wasn’t very fond of helmets either. She never wore hers when she didn’t have to. It’s not like they used the helmets to conceal identity more so as they were used for protection. And intimidation.

“At least I’d die with nice hair.” Paquin mumbled before sipping the last drop of her now cold coffee. She decided one cup wouldn’t be enough and she stood to get more. Did they have cups to go? She’d probably grab one. “I’m going to get some more coffee, do any of you want anything while I’m up?”

-

Finn realized that much of what had transpired recently, Rey didn’t know about. She didn’t spend the weeks in the presence of Resistance members gossiping about. He’d have to give her a rough run down of what he knew, later, of course. Especially if she was going to hang around for a while. Which he hoped. Because why wouldn’t they? Wouldn’t it be safer?

‘Eh,’ that was a thought for later.

“Why don’t you go spy on Rollo? He doesn’t have a stone,” Finn suggested, just to humor Kevan’s mention of him. Wouldn’t answer the candy part, though.

Finn translated for Kevan, “He says you didn’t try to kill him, you didn’t want him dead. Your timing was bad,” he unconsciously replaced Kevan’s bad words, but Finn had a feeling Mira would know what Kevan’s true words were, anyway. “And that hindsight is a bitch,” he wasn’t wrong, Finn could agree with that.

Finn sighed, “Mira, I don’t want to pressure you, but why don’t you want to learn to talk to Kevan? I really think it is something to benefit from,” not only would it allow Mira and Kevan to talk personally amongst themselves, but...engaging in the same conversation one had to relay could get a little complicated. Not that Finn entirely minded, but he still thought it would be better for Mira and Kevan as far as closure went if they could just...talk to each other.

Directly to each other.

Wouldn’t she want to at least hear Kevan’s voice again? “You meditate, you’re already halfway there. There’s no Snoke to worry about. I can help you,” he’d managed to help her back in Tarkin’s apartment, didn’t he? What’s to say he couldn’t help here, too? “Rey, too.” They weren’t Luke, even if Luke had taught them how to listen to Kevan.

-

Hux watched as Millicent happily absorbed all this special attention from Roisin, amusement in his eyes. He did consider how to say goodbye. Again, a hug wasn’t a consideration. But the thought that a handshake seemed terribly informal did cross his mind. Despite that, however, he made no move to initiate any other sort of dismissal. And neither did she.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” he did echo her words, the slightest quirk pulling at his lips. That would be something, right? Despite how odd it felt to smile without any maliciousness at someone he hardly knew. Well, hopefully she appreciated it.

He did stay and watch as she boarded the shuttle, Stormtroopers filing in behind her to escort her back to Arkanis. He didn’t wave or anything of the sort, but watched as the ship closed behind his mother, turned, and left the hangar. The General lingered, even as she’d been gone for more than a few moments, lost in thought. His hand stroked over Millicent’s head and he looked down at her.

“Quite the night, huh, Millie?”

Of course, the cat didn’t answer, but she stared up at her owner, meowed, and forced her head against Hux’s cheek. He huffed a laugh. “Wait until we tell Mira.” The morning seemed so far away all of a sudden. Hux sighed. “Let’s get you back to bed.” He set her down, for he knew she’d trot along with him.

White?

Kylo arched a brow at that idea. He wanted to nix it, but there was no reason to do so, other than, well, all of them keeping to similar looks, so they could be connected together. Gnaeus was the one who made the obvious comment, “You are going to hate cleaning that,” he pointed out. Which was no doubt true, and something that seemed to cross through Ariel’s mind after she said it.

The vanity of it all was what had Kylo putting a palm to his face. White. Looser. No helmets. “You can have casual wear,” Kylo pointed out to them both. Admittedly, that wasn’t much of a thing that Kylo thought about, because once he had new armor, that would likely become his uniform.

Perhaps he should suggest a non-armor uniform for them. “You’re going to get a helmet, Paquin,” he added, “whether you choose to wear it or not,” he couldn’t actually force any of them to wear the armor, “one bad hair day is better than being dead.” A week of bad hair was better than being dead.

“You’re just saying that because you never have a bad hair day,” Gnaeus stated, “you don’t know what it feels like.” Gnaeus, admittedly, didn’t care enough about hair days – good or bad – but he couldn’t help but pass up the opportunity to tease Kylo as they all started to get up once Paquin did.

Kylo rolled his eyes, but didn’t dignify that with a response. He didn’t have bad hair days. He couldn’t really argue that point. Still, they couldn’t be that bad. “I’m all right,” he said to Paquin’s offer about needing anything else.

“I could use another coffee,” Gnaeus said. He actually hadn’t had a coffee to begin with, but now that he was going to be moving, and going to consider armor seriously, he could use one. He didn’t know what sort of person this Gideon would be. “Do we know where we’re going?” he asked.

Kylo shook his head, but took out his datapad. “I can find out,” Colonel Alsen liked to be helpful; he could remain being helpful with these requests, and so Kylo fired off a question about where Gideon was. He did note it was the one who made armor. Just in case there were a few Gideons. It wasn’t an uncommon name. . He wouldn’t ask if Gideon was available.

He was the Supreme Leader.

Gideon would be available.

~***~

“Maybe I will.” Kevan wasn’t sure if that was a threat or a promise when he said it, and was half-amused with himself that he wasn’t sure. He ought to go find out what Rollo’s favorite candy was. Then annoy Finn that Rollo needed it. He shouldn’t like Rollo, but he had started to, while pretending to be someone else. The fact he’d started to break before the Resistance helped make it easier.

Mira could agree with what Kevan said. It didn’t mean she fully believed, or embraced, his seemingly easy forgiveness. Things weren’t that easy. Things were never that easy. She might have managed a small smile at the words, but she was uncertain. Likely, would remain so, until she found it in herself to forgive herself.

That might not be possible.

And Finn wanted her to learn to talk to Kevan. Not a surprise. Mira did want to, but she understood how it occurred. She understood what that would require of her. Dropping her mental walls was akin to dropping the emotional ones. In fact, they were more or less the same. “Of course I want to talk to him. Talking through you is weird, no offense.”

Rey canted her head as Mira said that. Not that it was strange, but that she did want to – because somehow she expected more enthusiasm, or more interest.

“Rey, would you—”

Rey held up her hands. She understood, somehow, this wasn’t her place.

“I’m going to go find Rollo.” Kevan added.

Rey mentioned, “Kevan’s coming, too,” and turned to leave.

Mira waited a moment. She had no way of knowing if Kevan was or wasn’t gone. She let out a sigh all the same. “I know you want to help,” that much, Mira could acknowledge, “and I do want to talk to Kevan, but it has taken years to protect myself as well as I can from the influences of the Force.” The emotional outbreaks, Snoke’s attacks, and more besides. “You’ve seen what my own emotions can do to me, so imagine what happens when I’m attuned to others, or to the Force as a whole, Finn.”

She became a conduit if she couldn’t separate from what others were feeling. If she dropped her guards enough to let the Force flow through her, outside of the controlled, meditative state – she wasn’t sure how well that would go. “Maybe I’m worried for nothing,” she allowed, “in any case, I don’t think now is the best time to attempt something like that. I still have a few other things to try and get used to.”

“I know I can have casual wear, but maybe I want to be both sexy and comfortable in armor! Ever think about that?” Ariel pointed at Kylo with a fork. “I’m not against multiple looks, but it would be terribly convenient to not have to change outfits every time we go off to get killed,” not to mention it was hard to predict when exactly they’d face danger.

She didn’t think it was a bad thing to want a few improvements. “Maybe white would be a bit much.”

Paquin wouldn’t argue with Kylo on getting a helmet, but she did point out, “Well, I wouldn’t know that I was dead and if a blaster shot me in the right place, I would die instantaneously,” no time to regret not wearing a helmet. “Bad hair, however, lasts.” Kylo wouldn’t know, she supposed. He didn’t know the suffering of maintaining tightly coiled hair. But, of course, she didn’t want to die. Didn’t mean she’d wear a helmet.

Paquin took note of Gnaeus’s request as she lifted her bowl of uneaten food with her to float it to the dirty dish station, Ariel petting her arm and asking for juice as she passed, because if Ariel wasn’t going to have alcohol soon, she needed something to at least keep her mind off of it. Ariel wondered when withdrawal would kick in, or if bacta had somehow countered it.

Paquin had quickly become a drink carrier, but she didn’t mind.

Ariel was nosy while she was gone, straining to peek at Kylo’s datapad. Ariel didn’t even think she’d blinked before Alsen replied. That was an exaggeration, of course, but still. “Lower levels?” Ariel questioned allowed as she read the message. Alsen provided a room number and a little ping of the Gideon’s office location. “A dungeon, how stimulating.” She hummed as a bottle of juice was placed in front of her and a to-go cup of coffee was handed off to Gnaeus.

-

At first Finn thought he was in trouble for his suggestion as Mira sent Rey away, and Kevan claimed he’d follow along with her. Of course, it seemed like an entirely Kevan thing to do, even in Finn’s short time of knowing him, to simply stick around to listen in. It’s not like they’d be able to tell, they couldn’t see him. Mira couldn’t even hear him.

But at the same time, it could be impossibly hard for Kevan to keep quiet for that long.

Finn prepared himself for the worst talking to, but it didn’t come. She tried to dissuade his suggestion and it was his turn to sigh. He stood from his bed, making his way over to her. “Mira, I’m not going to force you into anything, and I agree this probably isn’t the best place to do it,” because he did know how she reacted to these things, rather well now. But that’s why he thought it could be taught, because he understood, and he’d helped her through it.

“I don’t want you to throw away everything you’ve learned, but it can't hurt to try. Not just for Kevan, but for yourself, too. It could be a stepping stone. You need closure that you can’t get with me or Rey as an intermediate. And well, just because you’ve reached a point in your control doesn’t mean you can’t grow. Maybe it’d help with other things,” maybe the Force could help her where she might lack. Her newfound visual impairment.

“You don’t have to worry about Snoke anymore. We’re starting to get somewhere. We can find a place without people, just you and me. We don’t have to do it now, but...think about it. It doesn’t have to be something...intense, or scary.” He’d be there to help. Kevan would be there, simply because he had to to know if Mira could hear him.

“Mostly Kevan’s just too annoying for me. Distribute the wealth, and all that.” He nudged, for he didn’t want this to feel tense or for her to feel pressured. It was all her choice, he just wanted to help her.

Kylo did not for one second think about being sexy, comfortable, and safe, in armor. Those were not high priorities in armor. He did understand not wanting to change that often, though – he didn’t really plan on having much outside of his armor, after all. Just the armor. That was good enough for him.

He didn’t argue further, but waited for Paquin to return, after lifting the remaining plates of the others up, and off the table, to the dishes area. No droid to catch it this time. Did the droid need to rest? Recharge? Either way, he was pleased not to see the disgruntled thing.

He had barely gotten the plates over there when Alsen responded, and Ariel commented. “Do we know if Colonel Alsen is a cyborg?” Kylo couldn’t help but ask.

Perhaps it was just an Imperial thing to never sleep and be responsive, but he was wondering about Alsen. He was still a bit…much.

“Lower levels doesn’t mean dungeon, Ariel,” Gnaeus said, “Thank you, Paquin,” he added after taking his cup, prepared to leave for the lower levels that were hopefully not a dungeon. Why would an armorer be in a dungeon, anyways? ‘BDSM dungeon toys and clothes.’ He shook his head to get the image out, immediately.

But now he was going to imagine Gideon in a gimp suit until they saw him.

“Let’s go check the area out, I think I went near there,” in his wanderings. He’d mostly gone to the higher floors, admittedly, because that was usually where those of rank were. Projects were on lower levels.

Some things never changed.

Kylo would move ahead, though he did glance back to Paquin. He would lead – but he was silently inviting her to walk along with him, if she wanted to.

Nothing they approached resembled a dungeon, at all.

~***~

Mira was starting to get used to Finn coming closer, into her bubble, during these things. It was still a bit odd, but it remained more comfortable than not, as he joined her, and tried to reassure her. He held firm to his belief, in spite of her fears, that this could be a good thing for her. She had years of experience that said otherwise, so his determination didn’t quite stick…but at least someone still had hope for her.

“Maybe,” she said, but allowed, “I’ll put it into consideration,” but not right then. And not tomorrow, or probably for the next couple of weeks. She had a lot to do. “Much as I’d like to take Kevan off your hands,” she chuckled, “you may have to deal with him a while, or else work out a schedule with Rey and Luke. Maybe Mace.”

The thought of Mace dealing with Force Ghost Kevan was…amusing. And a bit worrisome. Mace would probably not tolerate that for long, and he was likely to figure out something to do about it.

“Right now, there’s just…too much to consider, and I do not need to complicate that by expanding on this. I still have tomorrow to worry about,” though she smiled, “and getting your training done enough so you can craft a lightsaber, without it blowing up in your face.” Lightsaber was probably going to remain as good a distraction method as anything – until it was finished.

Even then, training him to use it might remain a decent distraction.

~***~

The trip back to Arkanis was quiet, and hardly eventful. The Stormtroopers weren’t all that talkative, and Roisin didn’t really know what to say to theme, anyways. She was left near her home – she had a Trooper walk her back, even, and from there she was able to call into work so they knew she wouldn’t be arriving tomorrow.

Well, she left a message.

Then she called her brothers, and her father. None of them were awake. More messages.

The only one who was awake was Rhea, who kept the strangest hours sometimes.

“Mama, what’s up?” Rhea said, as soon as she appeared as a tiny hologram floating above the datapad. Roisin smiled at the concern that appeared on the twi’leks face, the way the painted eyebrows lifted, worried, given the hour on Arkanis.

“I met my son again,” she said, and watched Rhea’s face move through the expressions of surprise, disgust, disgruntled, before settling on enthused.

“That’s good!” Some of the enthusiasm was forced, for Roisin’s sake. “Right?” Roisin nodded, “How did this happen?”

“Long story short, I stole away on a First Order vessel to go kill Brendol and that didn’t work out.”

“Mama!”

“I know—”

“If you need someone dead just ask me!”

“I know,” another chuckle, “I wasn’t going to get you involved in that mess, though. And you wouldn’t have a hope of blending in.”

“I wonder why that is,” she ran a hand back over one of her lekku, and Roisin sighed. Rhea didn’t continue on that. “Well? How is he? And do you still need Brendol dead?”

“No, no,” she did, but that was not how Rhea was going to end up meeting her…well…not-quite brother. “He was…I did not know what to expect, I did not even expect to meet him, but it…it went well. He wasn’t terribly cold, and he wasn’t mean.”

Rhea’s lips remained pursed in a line.

“I know, the Order itself is causing lots of problems. Has caused lots of problems. It is changing.”

Lips remained pursed.

“You are the one who told me about the alliance with Leia, dear.”

Rhea sighed, “I know, mama. I’m just worried,” she confessed. “And I don’t know what’s going on in there, or with him, or anything with the Order now. I know what they’ve done, and it’s a very recent shift.”

“Yes…with the Tarkins, and with Leia Organa. Don’t you like both of them?”

“Don’t put words in my mouth, I would punch August for a quarter ration…buuuut he’s helped with the slaver pirates, so…you know, at least a quarter ration.” She’d never met August, personally. Just the security forces he used. “Okay, maybe it’s good, and maybe your son is more…you know…you. But be careful.”

“I will.”

“And let me meet him."

“Maybe.”

“He’s my brother! Thing. Kind of.” Rhea sighed, “I wanna make sure he won’t hurt you. Or us.” Meaning her larger family, of course.

Roisin smiled, “I’ll talk to him about it. I’m going to meet Admiral Vallens tomorrow with him.”

“She spoke at the Senate,” Rhea offered, “With Tarkin. Not sure about her.”

“Would you punch her for a quarter ration?”

“It’d take a bit more than that, just because,” she brought her hand up, and wiggled her fingers, “Magic.”

“The Force.”

“Whatever they want to call it. Don’t let her do anything to you.”

“I won’t.”

“I’m coming over tomorrow. So come back tomorrow. Okay?”

“Okay.”

“Lower levels also doesn’t mean not a dungeon,” Ariel was certain the place had a dungeon. What she wasn’t certain on was whether it was a sex dungeon or some evil lair, she wouldn’t put either one past Snoke. Nor would she put it past anyone else on the base because that simply had to be something more going on around them.

Paquin did not concern herself with their dungeon debate, instead smiling at Kylo’s silent invitation, sipping ahead to fall into step with him. Ariel was content with hanging back, not only because she didn’t have the energy to maintain a pace, but so she could also nudge Gnaeus. Maybe they disagreed on the dungeon status, but they could agree that their matchmaking abilities were impeccable.

As they delved deeper into the base, nothing they came upon resembled a dungeon. And it wouldn’t, for Ariel pointed out a large blast door with a room number and Captain Gideon’s name posted next to it. “This looks like it.” She commented as they approached, the doors whooshing open for them.

The room was much more vast than either woman had anticipated for an office. Spread around the room were droids doing an abundance of tasks, handling plates of red armor. There was no way all the armor was created in that room, but perhaps prototypes. At the center of the room, hunched over a desk, stood the man assumed to be Gideon, which Paquin sought to confirm, “Captain Gideon?”

“A knock would’ve been much appreciated,” the man grumbled, standing straight and turning to face them. Ariel felt like the wind was knocked out of her upon seeing this man. He wasn’t at all what she’d expected. He was older than any of them there, sure, but probably not by much. He had the sharpest cheekbones she’d ever seen, dark hair with just a little bit of grey and a warm complexion. He was tall. He could pull off a gimp suit. 'Maybe this place isn't so bad.' Ariel wished she’d done her hair.

“Supreme Leader, Knights of Ren,” Gideon greeted, not adjusting his tone when he realized who’d stumbled in. “I was hoping the lot of you would come to see me.”

-

Finn wouldn’t push Mira into it. Not that night, not the following day, because he knew there was much more important stuff that needed her immediate attention. He knew not to complicate it more than it already was, but that didn’t mean he’d just let Mira quell him with a consideration and let it slide out of thought. He wouldn’t let weeks pass. He was just beginning his mission of finding a way to help Mira.

And he wasn’t about to deal with Kevan all on his own.

Even sharing the man between himself, Rey, Luke, and even Mace didn’t convince him. Kevan liked to hang around Mira, didn’t he? And people Mira hung around? Luke and Rey weren’t really those people. “You think we can teach Hux to talk to Kevan?” Could non Force users learn to talk to Force ghosts? Hux deserved to be annoyed by Kevan, Finn thought.

It wasn’t that Finn didn’t like Kevan, he did. Kevan was just...a bit much. And Finn didn’t want to be bothered about Mira and Hux kissing again, if Kevan could go right to the source.

Either way. “We’ll just take it day by day! We can come back to it after the meeting and stuff. After I get my lightsaber constructed,” which he wasn’t entirely confident he could manage. He couldn’t even open that Sith holocron, after all. “I haven’t even used the hot chip’s lightsaber yet...and I’d rather not have to.” It wasn’t his. Luke’s, or Anakin’s, lightsaber had felt better in his hands.

He was fairly certain it didn’t work like it, but he got bad feelings from it. He didn’t think it would corrupt him or whatever. Maybe it was simply because he wasn’t fond of Ariel. "But, anyway, I'll be here. If you wanna do it, whenever." He was there for her for anything she needed, really. "Kevan, if you’re out there, I think you can come back now,” Finn spoke out to the air.

"I don't know if that's gonna work," he informed Mira, because this was not a tested method. But Finn couldn't see why it wouldn't work. This was why he had Mira

Gnaeus returned a wry grin at Ariel’s nudge, aware of what it was pointing out as Kylo and Paquin walked side by side. He could agree – at least here, they had done well. Their matchmaking skills were good. Now they just had to work on…well, everything else.

Gnaeus couldn’t claim the area they descended into was a dungeon of any sort. He did glance around, and tried to commit this to memory. He would need to walk around the base himself. Unlike Kylo, he wasn’t as used to this set-up. He wasn’t often back with the Order, but busy in ruins or other places that didn’t have standard formats.

Gideon’s place was, at least, obvious.

And so was Ariel’s reaction, or at least it was to Gnaeus, even if it was just a shift in the energy around Ariel. He nudged her this time as Gideon addressed them – mostly Kylo.

Kylo noted the lack of change in tone, but he found he didn’t take offense that Gideon wasn’t scurrying to correct himself. There was an air of confidence that these officers had, which the First Order, on the whole, didn’t. He still wasn’t sure what to make of it, but it kept him on-guard. “Well, it is good you were planning to see us at some point,” Kylo noted.

He stepped forward, taking in the droids and the red plates, “We all need new armor. Preferably not red,” Kylo noted, “it draws too much attention.” Where did red even blend in? Why was red a thing for the armor?

‘Your lightsaber is red.’ Gnaeus would not say it. But really, when were they concerned about being subtle or blending in? He supposed the black did at least make them not as susceptible in a crowd, but still – he didn’t think that was ever the goal of the Knights.

At least Gnaeus didn’t think anyone wanted red, but now Gnaeus kind of did. At least red trim somewhere.

~***~

The lightsaber was not as much of a temptation as it was before, though Mira wouldn’t complain. Sure, she was a little annoyed that Finn wanted to remain insistent on this, right now. She shook her head at the question about Hux learning to talk to Kevan. No, that was unlikely. The only way he’d communicate with Kevan, would be the flashing stone method.

And even then…probably not. Hux ought to keep that void stone around.

But she wasn’t sure she wanted to come back to it right after the meeting. She had to go back to the Order, and she had to meet Hux’s mother. “Right after the meeting isn’t good,” Mira said. She didn’t want to spill Hux’s secret, so she just said, “There’s something with the Order that I have to do.”

Knowing Finn wasn’t going to just let it drop, she added, “But I need to come back and see the doctor here the day after.” She wasn’t agreeing to this plan, but she would at least give Finn a time to hassle her about it, and make her consider going forward with this or not. Or at least present reasons why she couldn’t, right then, if things hadn’t settled.

Kevan didn’t return, of course.

That wasn’t how the Force worked. He was busy finding Rollo.

“If he comes back, I’m sure he’ll make it known,” Mira noted. He’d likely restart a holocron, or talk to Finn. “Right now, let’s get back to your training.”

Mira would reach out and pull another Jedi holocron from the grouping of holocrons. Finn might not get to the point of Sith holocrons, but he didn’t need to, to make a lightsaber. He had to get used to this, then Mira could deconstruct hers to show him how it worked. Deconstruct Kevan’s. Deconstruct Ariel’s. He could at least take parts from Ariel’s if he needed it.

Ariel felt Gnaeus’s nudge and knew he was onto her. She could only nudge him back and silently hope he wouldn’t expose her purpose here. Not that she really knew what her purpose was. She supposed it was to get new armor, but that was before Gideon was attractive. She’d expected him to be an old, grouchy Imperial. And now, well, she was running her fingers through her hair to get it to look decent, asking herself why she didn’t just get ready in the first place.

Why did she have to carry juice in her hands? Juice wasn’t alluring. At least she didn’t smell bad.

“You don’t like the red?” Gideon quirked a brow.

“I don’t mind the red. A little bit of red could be nice,” Ariel commented, to which Paquin furrowed her brows. Hadn’t she been the one to complain about the red? And why had her tone changed all of a sudden?

“It makes a statement, inspired by the Sith. Lightsabers. And of course, bloodshed. Easier to clean than white,” Gideon informed. It was meant to be obvious. It was meant to cause fear, to be remembered. “But I understand, it’s not subtle. Sit. There’s much more to discuss than colors,” Gideon invited as he turned to walk around his desk.

Only, there weren’t any chairs to sit on, and Paquin opened her mouth to comment, but Gideon whistled and his droids dropped what they were doing. Two carried over chairs for the four of them and one cleared Gideon’s desk of everything but a datapad and a stylus, floating back to their business after their work was done. Ariel was the first to venture to the chairs, looking around as she did so. Not at the droids, but looking for holopics, looking for a ring on Gideon’s finger. Signs for whether he was single or not. Ariel wasn’t a homewrecker. Not intentionally, anyway.

“Beginning with your current armor as a reference, what might any of you desire from your new armor?” Gideon asked as a hologram with their individual sets of armor was projected from the center of his workspace.

-

Of course, Finn hadn’t meant immediately after the meeting. He meant after the dust settled and he figured she’d want to return to the Order, to Hux, after the whole kidnapping fiasco. Normally, he wouldn’t concern himself too much with her Order activities, but he was admittedly curious with, well, how vague her description of it was. He didn’t want, need, or expect her to go into great detail about these things but ‘something with the Order’ seemed to lack the substance she’d given in the past.

He recalled her on her datapad, wondered if it might have anything to do with Hux. After the earlier comments...perhaps it was something she wanted to be private about.

He could respect that, and respect her wanting to drop the subject. He’d let it go after her mentioning she’d come back the day after, a passing, “We can talk about it later,” for now, he probably wouldn’t get through to her.

Kevan didn’t come back. Finn really was half expecting him to be eavesdropping. Maybe he was and wouldn’t expose himself yet. Finn had no way of knowing. Eventually, Kevan would have to want to talk about something.

Mira lifting the Jedi holocron reminded him of the one Kevan was messing with, “Should have given them the holocron before they left,” he idly commented as he shifted from Mira’s bubble to sit on the floor in front of her. Finn would be lying if he said he hadn’t been discouraged by the Sith holocron, or by Rey’s advancements in comparison to his own. But he knew he couldn’t tell Mira to keep learning if he didn’t do it himself.

Finn reached out with the Force to take it in his own grasp. The puzzles were becoming easier to navigate, but he also didn’t think many of them were meant to be hard to open. “Maybe after this I can try a Sith one again,” he suggested. “Or maybe you can crack one open,” simply because Finn was curious as to what content a Sith holocron might hold.

But first he had to get this Jedi one open.

Kylo also tuned in when Ariel claimed the red wasn’t that bad, though he didn’t catch on to why Ariel was being agreeable all of a sudden. Perhaps it was just to spite him. He wouldn’t call her out on it, either way.

Nor did Gnaeus. He would keep Ariel’s secret, for now, and tease her about it later.

He was second to a seat when they were put down, and sat alongside Ariel, as he looked at his armor in the hovering image. There had been plenty he could do with having fixed about his old armor. Mostly, having more armor. He’d probably be the only one who wanted it bulkier.

He was thus the first to speak, once everyone else was sitting, “My armor was too thin,” he said, “It was good for navigating ruins, temples, and those kinds of things, but it wasn’t great in human combat,” it worked fine with beasts. His recent scuffle that led to losing his hand might be painting his wants a bit.

“All the armor was padding. I want something better than just armorweave.” Gnaeus stated.

“Well at least someone is treating armor like armor,” Kylo noted, with some approval.

“Losing a hand does that,” Gnaeus shrugged. He could admit it. Lesson learned. He wanted real armor.

Kylo wouldn’t add a comment to that, but looked at his own armor. He had liked that it wasn’t so heavily armored, but there were a few things he recalled disliking about it, “The arms were constricting of the old armor,” likely due to his own notable growth, but nonetheless, it hindered his range of movement a bit, “and there was unnecessary…flare,” the word was eluding him.

He didn’t need it to be flowy, though. It was too reminiscent of the Jedi. Unlike Ariel, he wanted to steer away from that. “Some, where movement requires, is fine, but I want to cut down on what can get in the way of fighting,” and yet, he added, “or at least make it easily removed.”

Maybe he still had some flare for the dramatics. And the thought of just wearing something that fit well, without being covered, was somehow too strange a thought.

~***~

Mira was agreeable to talking about it later, aware she was unlikely to escape it. Finn was tenacious. A good quality. An annoying quality. Probably the main quality needed to be her apprentice, in truth.

Mira didn’t move to join Finn on the floor as he sat down and took the holocron into his own control. She smiled a little, “You’ll hear a Sith holocron when you can open it yourself, Finn,” she noted.

It would be something to work towards, if nothing else. A reason to work towards it, as well. Mira wouldn’t be nice and just open one for him. She could easily take them out of his sight and listen to it herself, if she really felt there was anything to be heard in the holocrons. Which, she wasn’t so sure about, as the Jedi one began.

This one was less relevant than the one that had been corrupted – or losing its impression.

Well – not as relevant, anyways.

“Hello, I am Jedi Archivist Tedryn.” The robed figure spoke, and Mira was fairly certain he looked like Maz, though it was hard to tell. “It has been some centuries now since the Hundred-Year Darkness, and many of my fellows are beginning to forget this incident, so I am now committing what I recall, to holocron, about the origins of our great nemesis, the Sith.”

Ariel watched as Gideon held the stylus in his hand, gliding it quickly across the screen of his datapad to take his notes. She couldn’t see much from her angle, but could at least tell he was writing down more than they were telling him. Concepts, materials. His mind seemed to work fast, which was probably why he was in the position that he was, making armor.

“I don’t mind unnecessary flair.” Ariel chimed in. “But, functionally, the main problem is restriction,” Ariel had hardly worn her armor outside of missions that might require violence or when she had to meet with any of the other Knights. That changed, recently, of course, but she still preferred comfort. “Perhaps a looser style, or a less stiff material to account for more flexibility.” Ariel was so going to get shit for this later, but at least she managed to get most of the way through her requirements without trying a comment. She’d been thrown off her game.

Not that it seemed to get much attention from Gideon, anyway, “Flexibility,” he repeated as he wrote it down. Though his eyes did glance up at her as he completed his notes. She might’ve imagined the lingering before he turned his attention to Paquin, “And what are you looking for?”

Paquin did fumble with her words when it came to her turn, for she wasn’t really sure about this armor stuff. “Um, well, my current armor is a bit tight in some...areas. And it’s very heavy,” which was restrictive in itself. She felt like she was wearing a weighted blanket. “If there’s any way to make it lighter while maintaining or improving its durability, that would be nice.” She wouldn’t fuss much with appearance, flair or no.

Gideon hummed in acknowledgement, Paquin’s armor was more so modeled after the other Knights more than it was made for her. The wheels seemed to be turning in his head the entire time, “A knight who wants more, two who wants less, and one who wants more and less.” Gideon had his hands full. “I assume there’s a want for cohesion in appearance amongst all of you, as well? Or is there a desired feature to distinguish status from the rest?” As Snoke would have done. Snoke would’ve wanted it obvious, but, surely there was something more subtle that could be done.

-

Finn could have argued that he earned a Sith holocron, if he wanted to. Cracking open a few Jedi holocrons, dealing with Kevan. But he didn’t think Mira would give him that one. Something for him to work up to indeed, though the next holocron he cracked open could offer Finn the little taste of the Sith he wanted. Of course, not the nature of what a Sith holocron consisted, but a brief history.

“Did he say some centuries?” In the same sentence that he said he recalled the Hundred-Year Darkness or whatever it was? He supposed if this Tedryn was the same species as Maz–which he did look like–it wouldn’t be unheard of. He knew Maz was quite old, centuries. Still. It was a lot of time, a lot of history, to be covered. Finn figured he could very well ask Maz about a number of things, too.

“Many years ago, the Sith began as Jedi. Years before the Hundred Year Darkness began, before even my existence, a group of dissidents attempted a first, ill-fated rebellion against the Jedi Order. While the initial group was terminated, their legacy remained and only inspired a second group of rogues down the line. Such rogues would form the earliest Sith and begin a long war.” Tedryn briefed initially, though Finn had no doubt there were more details to follow. Details that Finn never could have even imagined himself.

“From what I might remember, these rogues began as Jedi Knights, pushing the Force past what they’d been taught, a dangerous path for them. They discovered the ability to manipulate life beyond what was natural. They created new species at their will. It was believed they could even revive lifeless planets, and by extension, revive sentient beings. Put an end to the cycle of life and death. A great power to behold and with it came corruption. A passion for protecting their power and an even deeper desire for more.” Finn watched with eyes and ears wide open, absorbing the history lesson.

“Have you heard this story, Mira?” Finn asked, filling the brief pause Tedryn took with his own question.

But there was no pausing, unless Finn stopped the holocron entirely, and Tedryn continued on. “I hypothesize it as the Force trying to find balance, perhaps, in the corruption of the young Knights. One cannot bend the will of the Force, cannot take without giving in return, without consequence. Ah, of course these are just theories,” Tedryn waved a sleeve-covered hand, “This is a recount of history, not a philosophy lesson. That’s another matter.”

Now Kylo understood what was going on with Ariel. He glanced over at her after her note on flexibility, fully aware that was not the kind of flexibility that tone was implying. He wouldn’t make a comment on it there, but he did notice Gnaeus’s look. And Gnaeus’s helpless little shrug, even as a smile peaked onto his lips with it.

Kylo resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

Paquin at least wasn’t asking for anything inane; she was being reasonable with her request, of wanting it lighter and durable. Although, Kylo hadn’t thought her armor was that heavy just by looks. He wondered what ‘lighter’ would be that didn’t sacrifice anything. Perhaps they should have taught Paquin more about using the Force for something of a strength boost.

They could get to that.

Armor could always be updated.

Gideon did have a lot on his plate, and Gnaeus knew better than to speak up with a suggestion they all be different in appearance. This question was for Kylo, not for jokes.

“A cohesion would be preferred,” Kylo answered Gideon. There would be enough differences in what they were all asking for to single them out. Kylo’s armor had not, on its own, differentiated him as the Commander of the Knights of Ren. He didn’t see why it needed to be done now, either. Everyone in the Final Order clearly knew who he was, and they would soon know how his new armor looked.

There was no need for frivolities of status when it would soon become known on sight.

The same would be true of his enemies.

Everyone already knew.

~***~

This was not a story that Mira had heard before. Neither Luke nor Snoke spoke of the origins of the Sith. There wasn’t much point to do so with the Sith dead and gone – in theory, anyways. Given how the Sith hid for millennia, Mira wasn’t going to be certain they were gone. It was possible there were two, or more, out there, somewhere. Mira wasn’t making it a life goal to go finding them.

She nodded to Finn’s first question, about centuries.

Not unheard of – especially if this creature was of Maz’s species.

And then she shook her head, silently signifying she didn’t know this story, since Tedryn kept talking.

“The Sith, as they came to be called, began from one rogue Jedi who thought that living in contemplation of the Force and being passive were the incorrect usage of it. Naturally, the Jedi Order disagreed, and ousted them. There was little more we thought needed to be done at the time. Those who used the Force incorrectly were alive and well in the galaxy, from the witches of Dathomir to the Guardian of the Whills. Unfortunately, that was not to be the case.”

Tedryn sighed. “This Sith began to create monstrosities and call others to their belief system. They chose not to live alongside the others, but started a war against the Jedi. Even, had they not, I have little question that we would have gotten involved. The Sith had begun hostile takeovers of planets, and their grotesque experiments were causing much harm. We are still dealing with the remaining Sith war-beasts…and still, with the Sith, though their numbers have significantly dwindled, and that heresy which continues to attempt to rise and allow the Sith to follow, the Gray.”

He sounded terribly annoyed with it. Terribly exasperated by it. “History is forgotten…time and time again.” And he had to stay on track.

Though, Mira noted, he was not giving an identity to the first Sith. She realized then, she had no idea who that actually was.

“It began on Jakku.”

Gideon only made a noise of acknowledgment to the request of cohesion, the denial of any symbol of superiority. Armor could, in fact, be updated and Gideon didn’t doubt that the Supreme Leader might change his mind on that. He was new to his position, not yet enamored by the status he held. It would happen. That was how many stylistic changes occurred with higher ranking officers, troopers, too.

He would not comment on it. “With your individual requests, silhouettes will likely not be similar to one another, but I will maintain some features to give the effect,” colors, or lack of. Textures, accents. Gideon whooshed away the projected images of their current armor, “I will begin drawing the design, creating the prototypes. If all is well, it shouldn’t be difficult to have them manufactured sometime today,” the Supreme Leader’s request naturally took precedence over other tasks.

He had their measurements on file and the resources he thought to use wouldn’t be hard to collect. With the help of his droids, he’d get it done quickly. “Once they are completed, we can regroup for a fitting and go from there.” She wouldn’t mention it to anyone, but it gave Ariel enough time to shower, do her hair. Maybe if she could get her hands on some eyeliner...She’d be better prepared for their next encounter. “Any other concerns for me to address?” He continued on as Ariel was absorbed in her own plan.

“Kylo–Supreme Leader,” did Paquin have to call him that? She supposed she should, anyway, “mentioned helmets before we came.”

“Helmets? That is something I can do. They’d take longer, particularly if you want new designs to suit your new armor.” But it could be done, after the armor’s design itself was finalized by the Knights of Ren. “I will integrate helmets into the armor concepts as well, if that is requested,” for he, of course, had to seek approval from the Supreme Leader himself, since it was only Paquin speaking on behalf of him.

This lot was terribly informal.

-

“Jakku?” Rey was from Jakku. Well, she wasn’t from there. But she’d lived there. He’d been there a few times, too many times, recalling how they’d been deserted for a night. “I knew I didn’t like that place for a reason,” well, he had his reasons. It wasn’t the energy of the planet or anything more so it was the heat, the sun. And the sand.

He didn’t understand how Rey didn’t mind it, how anyone would ever want to go there.

“While it began on Jakku, that planet no doubt tainted by the darkness exhibited there, the name Sith comes from a species of beings on the planet Korriban who dedicated their lives to serving the first Sith after they slayed their King. Prior to this, we simply called them rogues or Dark Jedi, though those names are more suited to the docile objectors. Sith...fits. Korriban was a host for many of the Sith’s dark creations. But this came after the war.” Finn supposed there was nothing terribly exciting about Tedryn himself that kept his attention, but the tale–or the history–was riveting enough.

Not to mention, Korriban! It was no surprise it was terribly involved in the Sith, the planet felt of it still.

“There is a hundred years from the start of the end that might be covered in greater detail, which I hope to expand on. But first, I believe a brief timeline is beneficial. From the beginning of the war, the Sith were outnumbered. They were nearly devastated by the middle of it, but their abominations came to their aid, their creatures and their undead, and the war continued. It ultimately reached its end on the planet of Corbos, but, as we all are aware, the Sith were not defeated in the end.” Even Finn could figure that, given Palpatine and Vader’s ends only being within the last few decades.

“Seeing they would only lose, the Dark Jedi surrendered. In a rather controversial decision, the remaining rogues were rounded up and forced into exile in the unknown, unexplored parts of the galaxy. Many wanted them to be executed for their crimes, but the Jedi hoped exile would have them realize the error of their ways. However, as of a few hundred years later, that is not the case. I suppose, in the name of history and education, I ought to give identity to the first defectors. Legacy has come to be something Sith adore, a lasting presence, which leaves me with reluctance to only feed into it. But, I hope we might all agree that history is important, however it is looked upon.”

Kylo had honestly thought helmets were a given, considering their previous armor all held it, for the most part. He hadn’t thought he even needed to mention it, but apparently, he had. Paquin brought it up, and Gideon spoke as if he hadn’t even considered it at all. Kylo couldn’t help but frown at that.

He did speak up, “Yes, helmets are to be implemented in all the designs,” Kylo acknowledged. They were fighters, after all, not officers who were going to spend all their time locked up in ships, far away from any conflict.

Kylo wanted a new start with the helmet, as well. His old one was so tied to his time under Snoke, like the armor, that he wanted it all cut away and updated. It wouldn’t be vastly different, he somehow knew that, but it would at least be a signal of the change that had taken place within their ranks.

A change of his status – and that of the Knights.

“Even if that means it won’t be done today,” Kylo didn’t know how Gideon operated, if that meant they wouldn’t see designs until tomorrow, or if he’d do the armor first, and the helmet after the approval – but he was willing to wait for it.

They had other things to do that day.

Gnaeus made no comments. He was fine having a helmet, and seeing it any time. He was hoping they wouldn’t go do something too rash anytime soon. Before they had armor. Then again…that also, probably, depended on their enemies, and what they were doing. As well as what their plans were for the Order now that Brendol was no longer heading it.

~***~

The Sith species, like the Zeffo, were something Mira had heard of. Oddly enough, she’d seen more evidence of the Zeffo than the Sith as a species. She hadn’t really given much thought to it. She also hadn’t seen much in the way of the Sith on the planets she’d visited – as a faith. She had seen some, but for being exiled to the unknown regions, not much.

Then again, what was unknown back in the Old Republic, was likely known now.

At least, some of it.

And there were plenty of known planets with a Sith influence on them, besides Korriban.

‘Their undead?’ Mira did wonder at that. She heard talk of Sith capabilities, rumors some escaped death, or fended it off – but she hadn’t heard much about undead fighting for them. That was new. Not a good thing, either. ‘Could Snoke come back as an undead?’ Hopefully not.

Kylo didn’t know how to do that, right?

“The first Dark Jedi was Ajunta Pall. He was from Jakku, and so he went back there to hunt down his own legacy and his history after he was ordered to leave the Jedi. It was there he began to gather his followers, and when he arrived on Korriban, he was calling himself Darth Typhojem, using titles the Sith race would use among themselves.”

“Others in the Jedi had followed him to Jakku, and to Korriban – Xoxaan, Syn, Dreypa,”
a sigh, “all lost to the darkness. All are now long dead, but their legacy continues, and their words against us have continued to spark rebellions. We are now within a war with Mandalore, and we have learned the Sith are behind it, in the form of a Darth Traya, although she is now deceased and her followers have picked up the pieces.”

The figure shook his head, “Leaving the Sith to exile, to work in the shadows, was our mistake.”

Gideon had figured they’d make use of the helmets they already had, unaware of the missing status. He figured it wasn’t an unreasonable request to want them to match. “Helmets it is. The armor should be ready to fit no later than end of day, we may discuss the helmets after we finalize the final design.” It would be easier to create to the final product than to make the helmets and have to change them after.

“At the time, I’ll also have your head measurements taken, Paquin,” the rest of her measurements were there, but nothing for her head. He should have figured, then.

Paquin wasn’t enthused, but she nodded her agreement. She knew it was the smart thing to do, wear the helmet. Get one first, of course.

“Very well then,” Gideon stood, both Paquin and Ariel following his movements. “If you have no further questions for me, I have none for any of you. You’ll receive a message once my work is completed, but as it is, I’ve got much work ahead of me,” in other words, he was ushering them out of his office.

“Thank you for your time, Captain Gideon,” Ariel was quick to thank, her hand extending out for his. “We don’t doubt it’s a precious commodity.”

Gideon took her hand and Ariel couldn’t help but admire the feeling. There was a look of realization that crossed Paquin’s face, finally catching up with the others as to why Ariel had been acting so strange. Ariel noticed her realization, but ignored it. If Gideon saw it, he didn’t acknowledge it, “Not nearly as precious as yours. Any of yours. I’ll see you out.”

‘Just wait until I come back looking put together,’ Ariel couldn’t help but think. She’d fumbled through their first meeting, but she had this in the bag when she was prepared.

-

‘Imagine if the Jedi had killed all the rogues,’ Finn couldn’t help but think. Would that have really been the end of the Sith? Even Tedryn himself said there’d been an earlier rebellion that had encouraged the second. Perhaps it would have been squashed again, but what’s to say it wouldn’t have been a vicious cycle? And how long could it have gone on for?

There was no telling if it would have been better if they hadn’t let the first Sith go.

While Finn thought, Tedryn continued. “There’s no way to go back in time. There’s little use in dwelling in the choices of the past, for they cannot be changed. But the ability to learn from them can co-exist with that belief just as well. I don’t believe it is immoral to make decisions that would protect the rest of the galaxy. It is something that had to be taught the hard way.”

“As is one of my wishes for this holocron to be used not just as a record of history, but as something to utilize so we might never make the same mistakes again, so the future Jedi, another few hundred years from now, can avoid needing to learn the hard way. The tolerance we exhibited destroyed worlds, in ways we were not equipped to understand. There are still corruptions that I nor my peers can quite conceptualize, but I will record what I can. And those that I cannot, if there is ever a Jedi out there who can come to understand it where I can’t.”

Tedryn paused, took a breath. “Beyond this introduction lies my recordings, a timeline of the war and the events, the creatures. Notable figures like Darth Typhojem’s devoted followers, and other wonders I can recall. The early beginnings of the Sith and what I’ve come to learn about their manipulations of the Force. I can only hope this recording serves a purpose to whomever uncovers it. May the Force be with you.” Tedryn disappeared from you, his projection disappearing back into the cube.

There was definitely more on the holocron, but for the moment Finn would use it as a break to discuss with Mira. “Well. Any of that ring a bell?”

Kylo was willing to accept that the helmets would come after the armor had been finalized. It was likely easier to figure out a design for them, once armor had been approved – rather than have spent work on so much, only to have it all rejected.

Kylo and Gnaeus rose with the others, and Kylo started to step towards the exit to get them out of there. He had no plans to spend all day just waiting and hounding Captain Gideon for the armor. He had enough other things to do. He certainly needed to check in with Pryde again, to confirm information about the First Order, and also start their own meetings, amongst themselves, and allies.

There was still too much to do.

And Ariel’s flirting was only exasperating him.

Though Gnaeus found it terribly amusing, and wondered at Gideon’s addition about ‘precious time’. Maybe Ariel actually had a shot. They’d see, soon enough.

Kylo walked out as soon as Ariel and Gideon’s hands were unclasped, and would continue a ways, a bit. Gnaeus was the one to break the silence, “Really, Gideon, Ariel?” Once he was certain they were out of earshot, and the doors had closed behind them. Kylo couldn’t quite hide his amused smile, then.

Even if he remained more exasperated than amused.

~***~

The holocron had a lot of information on it. Likely, Mira realized, more than they had time for. Lectures on the first Sith, on what happened to Jakku, to the Sith race – Mira could imagine it would be like a semester at one of the Academies. No doubt, the recordings were also made at different times by Tedryn.

The information was useful – but it was also a lot.

When Finn spoke to her, pausing them after Tedryn vanished, Mira shook her head, “It wasn’t truly my area,” she said, “Luke never really dwelled on the origins of the Sith,” she wondered if Luke knew, or if he had deemed it unimportant to them, at that time. “I don’t know any of the names. I know the Sith did, supposedly, go into exile or go off into the unknown regions. I’ve seen their mark, but that’s…about it.”

She hadn’t discovered any Sith still out there. “I think this is probably a good point to pause. And we can make sure to test your ability to move forward in a holocron later,” since they wouldn’t want to start at the beginning. “Just remember how it feels when you shut it all down.”

They didn’t have the kind of time to truly study it all at once, but they could go through it, gradually.

And Finn could try another Sith holocron.

Or a lightsaber.

“What?” Ariel couldn’t help the grin on her face, from both the interaction with Gideon and the teasing. “I can't help who I fall in love with! The heart wants what it wants.” Of course, Ariel wasn’t actually in love with Gideon. She just found him incredibly physically attractive. Or maybe he wasn’t really all that striking and it had just been too long since she’d been with anyone.

The last time was shortly before her mission on Tatooine came to an end, and was fairly regular before that. She’d been a bit too busy to find someone to sleep with since then. But, hey, if they were going to be sticking around this base for a while…”I mean, did any of you see how pretty he was? Paquin?” Ariel drug Paquin into it, too.

“I wasn’t really paying attention to his appearance. I suppose he did have a nice facial structure,” she allowed, sipping her coffee. “Are you going to ask him on a date?”

“If that’s what it takes,” Ariel said, to the confusion of Paquin. “I don’t intend to date him, Paquin. Dating isn’t something that’s in the cards for me.” It just didn’t make any sense, as much of a hopeless romantic as Ariel was, she’d come to accept that long ago.

“Oh,” that was all Paquin could say, frowning a bit. She thought to ask about it, ask why not. If she and Kylo could, why couldn't Ariel? But that also made Paquin wonder if it was dating that she and Kylo were doing.

“Though, not saying it’s going to happen, but if we had kids, they’d be beautiful,” and messed up. “That’s for later, though. What’s next on the agenda for Kylo’s big first day as Supreme Leader?” Well, first full day.

-

Finn frowned, a little disappointed when Mira said they should end it there for the time being. Finn really wanted to keep going, to learn more. But he supposed he didn’t know how many lessons remained, or how long any of them were. So begrudgingly, he committed to memory the feeling of the holocron as he shut it down, the invisible puzzle-like structure falling back into place as it dimmed.

He floated it off to the side, so they wouldn’t forget which one had Tedryn on it. “So none of you learned about the Sith? Not even with Snoke?” Clearly one of the Knights of Ren had to know about this, sure, but why not all? And why wouldn’t Luke teach about the Sith? “It seems like it would be important, or beneficial.” Because so much of it sounded dangerous.

Sounded threatening. And it hadn’t been heard of. Creatures? Undead? Whatever that meant…

Would Luke be mad if he showed this stuff to Rey? Probably. Finn would have to keep it secret.

But, with the topic of Sith in mind, Finn just had to crack open a Sith holocron. If he could do that, well, he thought he’d be ready to make his own lightsaber. He wasn’t sure what had stopped him the first time, whether he wasn’t trying hard enough or just couldn’t...get dark enough. But he was determined to do it this time.

Maybe Tedryn’s holocron could help him put it into perspective. Finn supposed he’d find out, as he picked out the one he was fairly sure was the one he’d tried originally. ‘You got this,’ if he just focused...hard...let the thing know just how determined he was.

Finn would tell himself that’s what got him through. “My apprentice. I’ve done it, finally. I believe I’ve rediscovered the holocron of Darth Andeddu. I start this lesson now, before I attempt to open it, for I know what is rumored to occur to those who attempt. If I fail, perhaps you’ll still be able to discover it. And if I succeed, well. We’ll have a new record.”

Kylo and Gnaeus both gave Ariel a doubting look, only too aware that she was not at all in love with Gideon and just wanted to fuck him. “We saw him,” Gnaeus said. Perhaps if he was a little more gay he’d have something to say about how pretty Gideon was, but as it was, he didn’t really have much to say – except damn those cheekbones.

“He was gaunt,” Kylo didn’t find that attractive, after Paquin mentioned his features.

Kylo then palmed his face as Ariel went on, talking about kids. Wait, should he be wondering if Paquin wanted kids? ‘Should I actually take her on a date?’ Shit. What was he actually doing with Paquin besides being together? Was it different then Ariel? ‘Yes, Ariel doesn’t really need to get to know people.’

Now he suddenly felt self-conscious. Damn it, why did Ariel’s lust have to make him wonder about himself and Paquin? “No more talk about Gideon,” for starters. He lowered his palm, “We need to catch up with Allegiant General Pryde to discuss the new situation with the Order, as well as determine the time table for the meeting on Ruusan, or see if there is anyone we need to pay a special visit to prior to that meeting.”

He assumed by now, Pryde had at least sent out the messages to prepare the space to meet, and invite others to meet. Perhaps he had an idea of when that would be, now.

Which meant he should reach out to Pryde, so he reached for his datapad once again, and wrote up another message.

Allegiant General, I would like to discuss our plan of action as soon as possible with regards to the Order, and our remaining allies.

~***~

Mira was able to answer, “We learned about the Sith, but either Snoke didn’t know their origins, or didn’t care to tell me,” or the others, for all Mira knew, “I wouldn’t be surprised if Ariel or Gnaeus knew more,” perhaps not even if Kylo knew more, given his obsession with Darth Vader, but the legacy of the Sith as a thing wasn’t all that important to either of them. Mira knew some names, here and there, but it wasn’t her area of research, or interest.

The Sith had nothing to offer her that made her desire to go out of her way to learn more.

But, what they had was still interesting all the same, and she let herself fall silent as Finn began his attempt on the Sith holocron, prodding and pushing it towards what he needed done. It was a struggle, but Finn was making advancements. He was progressing without losing ground – and soon enough, it spoke.

That name, Mira knew – if only because Andeddu was thought to be the first ‘Darth’, and was behind a saying – Andeddu’s flames. She didn’t know too much else, but it was intriguing to hear that name of all names. She leaned forward, focused her gaze on the figure. Hoped Finn could hold it through.

Sith Holocrons were notorious for still fighting back even when opened.

“Darth Andeddu held the secret to eternal life, if rumors are to be correct, and remains alive to this day – and so opening the holocron now runs the risk of opening myself to becoming the new vessel of Andeddu, so this lesson is about protecting your own mind, my apprentice, as well as your life essence from those who would sap it.”

Mira arched a brow. This was new. She was interested in more tricks to protecting her mind.

“As you know, to protect your mind, you need to remain keenly aware of what is around you, and within you. You must be responsive to any threat, no matter how small, and make sure it cannot penetrate your guards. In opening a holocron, that can be difficult, given their very nature – but you will have to remain closed while opening it, to not let the Force seep into you or you risk inviting things you do not want, within yourself, without realizing it until it is too late. For once it has its hooks in you, it is much harder to resist the transfer of essence, and keep yourself, within your body.”

“None of you want to see me happy,” Ariel pouted when Kylo told her not to talk about Gideon anymore. Of course, she’d been prepared to drop it, her sad eyes feigned. She just wanted to give them shit. “It also explains why no one has given me alcohol yet. A little cocktail or something.”

“Ariel, it’s good that you’re not drinking, and that you’re doing so well for not having had it. You might be able to avoid the withdrawal period and go right to the good stuff, like the healthier body functions,” Paquin encouraged, rambling off.

“Can’t skip the depression. Or the lack of,” Ariel lowered her voice to a mock of a whisper, to pretend like she cared about concealing it, “sex drive. I need that. I appreciate it, though, Paquin," she did appreciate the girl having concern for her, but she'd tried it all before. Ariel spoke to Kylo then," And don’t think I haven’t forgotten you promising me any alcohol I wanted, I’m just thinking about it. Big decisions.”

Paquin could only sigh, recognizing Ariel’s avoidance of the subject. Paquin gravitated towards Kylo, as if she felt some uncertainty in him. The urge to reach for him was distracted by Kylo’s datapad as it dinged with a response from who she assumed was Pryde. At least there was something of a normal pause between when Kylo sent his message and when Pryde’s was received.

‘Of course. If you’d like to meet in the council room at your earliest convenience, I will provide you with the information you seek.’

And naturally, Ariel read it over Kylo’s shoulder. “At your earliest convenience,” she mocked. She supposed she’d finally get to meet this Pryde, since she’d been too busy dying the night before. Why was she having to meet so many people while looking like a wreck? Well, she could look worse.

-

Finn couldn’t figure out how the Sith could be skipped in whatever teachings Mira had been taught. Of course, Finn hadn’t heard much of Jedi teachings, but all of this seemed incredibly interesting. And terribly important.

It was a challenge for Finn to keep the holocron going, as he felt it continuously try and revert back to how it was closed, so to speak. But he wanted to hear this, and it seemed Mira wanted to, as well. So he pushed and struggled to keep it rolling, even if it felt like it was a blink away from turning off.

Wasn’t this something he was looking for, after all? Something that sounded like it could help Mira?

“While I urge you to guard your mind, resist it as you would a telepathic intrusion, if the spirit does get a hold of you, it isn’t the end of the fight. It’s not an easy task. But it’s been done, supposedly. If you’ve been listening to what I’ve been teaching you at all, I’m sure you must recall the final fateful battle between Darth Bane and his apprentice Zannah.”

“I don’t,” Finn commented, the holocron wavering as his focus was lost. ‘Okay, okay,’ he wouldn’t say anything else. But he did wonder if those names gave Mira any sort of timeline as to when this could’ve been made, but then again, she said she wasn’t too informed on the Sith.

“Bane attempted to transfer his own consciousness into his apprentice’s body, but her own spirit overpowered his. His body dissipated and he had nothing to return to. Of course, Darth Zannah was left with a mark, part of him lingered with her. But it shows it’s not impossible. She was strong in the darkness and I believe that is the key to protecting oneself. Not many can truly tap into the power of the darkness.”

Finn couldn’t decide if that was good or not.

Gnaeus reached over and patted Ariel’s shoulder, a bit mockingly, as she claimed no one wanted to see her happy. They all wanted to see her happy, and he knew she was just teasing. He couldn’t resist offering the gesture, though. ‘There is medication for depression.’ Though Gnaeus didn’t say that. He wanted to, but resisted.

He had a feeling Ariel wouldn’t be all that interested in it. She preferred to medicate with alcohol.

Kylo rolled his eyes, “I figured you wouldn’t forget,” and he would still honor it. He’d been foolish enough to make that promise to her, so he would make sure she got whatever alcohol she wanted. Even if it was some ridiculously rare Alderaanian thing. He would find a way to obtain it.

Though, odds were more likely in favor of a gallon of Port-in-a-Storm.

Pryde responded soon enough – not like Alsen, but with enough haste for Kylo to appreciate the responsiveness all the same. Ariel still insisted on mocking it. “Fortunate our earliest convenience is right now,” Kylo said back to her, expecting a complaint from it, as he sent a message back to Pryde to indicate he wanted to meet immediately, then. “I can show you to the conference room. You may get to meet more than just Pryde.”

“Yes, all the red-lined officers,” Gnaeus teased, “No actual red-heads, though. Not yet,” Just Ariel.

Eventually they’d probably find another ginger in this mess of people. Brendol couldn’t have been the token Imperial ginger. Tarkin and Sheev had all been gingers, after all. Maybe Pryde had been, when he was younger.

~***~

The name ‘Bane’ did help Mira place it – a little. That was another popular Sith. He was, after all, the creator of the Rule of Two. She hadn’t really known much about his death, nor had she cared to memorize the name of his apprentice. It seemed his undoing had been that of so many Sith – their need to live forever and have it all, rather than passing it on to their one apprentice.

“The matching of wills is more a battle of the Force than it is of the mind. That is all I can say to prepare you for it,” the holocron answered, “hold to the dark side, and you will triumph, should I fail.”

The lesson was brief. A warning to an apprentice – perhaps one beloved, given the fact the owner sought to warn them – and a reminder of what was needed. Caution, preparation, and strength of will.

And then, it was over. “He must have actually cared about his apprentice,” something Mira considered a rarity among the Sith, given things like, well, Bane and Zannah, and their tradition of the apprentice eventually killing the master. Nothing about that relationship had ever seemed wholesome or good. “But you opened a Sith holocron,” she smiled. “I think you’re ready to try the lightsaber thing, don’t you?”

He was learning quickly.

It was a good thing. Mira knew he’d run into obstacles – the Sith holocron had tripped him up for a moment – but there would be worse ones than that. She didn’t think she was starting out too easy. Hoped she wasn’t, anyways. It was hard to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back