• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Space Opera Roleplay?

Rainzen

So I watched Star Trek Beyond and it killed me, man. It's so good I can't stand it. They finally brought back the spirit of star trek, and threw me back into the fandom black hole. 

You do not need to be that familiar with Star Trek to join, but I do have a vision, so we'll totally help you out until you get the hang of things, but you have to let us help you a bit at first.

We would be creating our own command crew and our own constitution class star ship. Our characters will be running the ship, and going on missions and getting into all kinds of misadventures in space.

This will be a combination of day to day slice of life stuff, with the addition of battles and away missions. A lot of these will probably be inspired by episodes from the Star Trek franchise, as well as plots from episodes from other space opera type shows like Farscape. If anyone has an idea, throw it out! I want this to be really creative and collaborative and fun for everyone.

It would also take place within the AOS timeline, generally due to aesthetic purposes and difference in the operation of star fleet itself, being a much more military and PR based institution than before. 

The characters will not be the Enterprise crew, nor will they know them personally, but like in the new movies, they will be generally well known, and encounters like the kelvin and the battle of yorktown will have an effect on starfleet policy/regulations and the general atmosphere. No one is directly effected, but it does still exist.

Our ship, as a constitution class starship of Starfleet is laid out similar to the Enterprise. Or mission is to patrol the borders of federation space, regularly visiting and assisting Federation colonies and allies. Occasionally we head a little ways out of federation space to respond to distress signals or make contact with new worlds. Each mission is a new and exciting adventure, where anything could happen. 

I'm so excited, I really hope some of you guys want to do this with me!

This roleplay is going to be third person, 1-4 paragraph replies, and pretty character driven

positions avaliable

Captain: -Rainzen

1st Officer: -open

Communications officer: -open

Pilot: -open

Navigator: -open

Cheif Medical Officer: -Rainzen

Chief security officer: -

If anyone would like to add something just say so. However, I would like to have most of these positions filled first. 

If anyone wants an explanation of what any of these titles entail, just ask away

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rainzen Hi, I made a roleplay a year or so ago loosely based off of Star Trek. I created its own universe for it and put a ton of time into it. Unfortunately it died too soon before its time and I'm gaining momentum again in the role playing community enough that I would want to give it another shot. It's called Alpha Centari, it takes place on a future earth where they finally have the capability to send ships into deep space on an expidition to the nearest star and its solar system. From there they will be able to explore other planets. The journey there and between stars is long so the crew goes into cryo sleep where they share the same dreams and relive past experiences and memories, specifically their training together, it is also a way to chronical how drastically earth has changed as well and lead them to discover a possible conspiracy theory. I also have some other plot devices in mind to dramatically mix things up along the way. 

I can can give you a link if you want? I'm pretty sure it still exists on the site archives. 

I'm into this 

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f7a4f5149326875357752365f71673d3d2d3234343930373930302e313434353564373137316563613732302e676966

So who do you think would handle the weapons station? The security officer? Because I actually think that changes from series to series. 

Oh sweet. I'm interested in Navigator or Communications Officer,but what will they be doing in the RP?

@King WiFi Have You seen the show? 

Uhura would be communications officer in the original series, just for frame of reference if you have

generally handling all channels to and from the ship, and while universal translators are a thing, generally this kind of ship would rely on a skilled linguist whenever possible, especially when it comes to anything of a diplomatic nature. They would be on the bridge with the rest of the main command crew for alpha shift and be called to the bridge during alerts and probably anytime that an unknown vessel appears and opening a channel to them would be necessary. Communications officer is also fairly commonly a member of the landing party when approaching a relatively unfamiliar planet.

As far as skills know, they would need to know pretty much every language spoken in the federation and well as romulan and klingon, and generally knowledge of cultural customs of the people that speak the languages.

Chekhov is the navigator in the original series. 

This is an extremely math heavy position. Plotting the course of starships everyday is not at all easy. The navigator sits next to the pilot on the bridge, and does all the math to plot the course, and the pilot makes the course happen. They work together very closely. This character basically has to do astrophysics all day long. It's crazy and awesome. 

Generally pilot and navigator stay on the bridge, There are other people that take over since obviously command crew can't be on shift 24/7 but in event of any kind of alert that happens when they're off shift, as a member of the main command crew they are expected to report to the bridge. 

Generally this wouldn't be a character who would end up going down to a planets surface except for shore leave unless they had specific skills needed in a particular situation.

@LadyPilate generally I think engineers handle things like photon torpedos in other parts of the ship and fire them at the captains orders, but that's an interesting idea, especially since this version of the 'fleet would go into an exploratory mission expecting more violence than the old version. Although I really don't know how to tow that line between increased defensive capabilities and training, and militarization. 

If you're really feeling a desire to work with such a position we could probably work something out though?

Generally chief of security is like... the space police chief I guess. Security tracks down intruders, handles anyone who has to be detained for whatever reason and comes along for protection on most away missions.

OK so I looked it up. On the ships before the original series, tactical was handled by the security officer, and he had a station on the bridge. In the original series, the ships weapons were controlled by the helmsman/navigator, which would be sulu. Then after a while they added dedicated tactical stations, so who handles that is up to you, @Rainzen

@LadyPilate helmsman/navigator would be my first choice, since we're going with alternate original series, I'm pretty sure that falls under the same guidelines as original series.

@LadyPilate helmsman/navigator would be my first choice, since we're going with alternate original series, I'm pretty sure that falls under the same guidelines as original series.

Yeah I think it would. In that case. I'm gonna go with security officer. Not calling it (unless you do first come,first serve) but that's the app I'm gonna do

@Rainzen Yeah i watched the movie. Just wondering how those skills would translate into the RP. I'll have a couple CSes coming up soon.

@King WiFi awesome! I'll be sure to get on creating a topic. I'm new to the site so I don't have 250 posts yet, so it will have to be in the regular forums for now, as soon as I do I can move it to a hosted project

Yeah I'm new too. Just a tip, but from my experience there is usually a character sheet in order to create a character. It might be helpful to have one pre-made for the RP so that people will have some sort of guide.

Anyways here is mine:

Name: Jimmy Rose

Appearance: Jimmy Rose is a 6'0", lean black man, despite his dark olive skin saying otherwise. His black curly hair is cut to a clean, low cut fade, with a straight part. He has round, green eyes, a large, sharp nose, and full pink lips completed with a chin patch just on the tip of his chin. 

Personality: Rose, being an expert linguist, shows confidence and persuasiveness in both speech and posture. He likes to stand straight with his chin pointed high, as a president stands tall in his speech. Despite this seemingly egotistic posture, Rose is generally friendly and easy to talk to, as well as being very helpful to any one who needs it. Though of average intelligence, Rose makes up for in his charisma as well as his loyalty. Along with those traits, Rose can show a side of ferocity when it comes to dealing with some occasional diplomatic mishaps occur.

Bio: Born straight out of Yorktown Rose took it upon himself to join the Academy as a Communications Officer. There, he remained a rather average student, but the Academy took notice of his willingness to help others and his ability to handle tough situations nonviolently. The academy would allow him to join a fleet if Rose were to take an extra few classes in weapons combat, seeing that his exceptional bravery may as well be put to good use. After 6 hard years in the Academy, and another 2 in combat training, Jimmy Rose was finally entered in a fleet.

Position: Communications Officer

Other:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back