• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Something fresh. A Touhou Role Play.

Maribel Han

The Outsider
Hello to you all. I have had an idea that I have been writing for some time personally that I would like to try and bring to life in a role-play forum, as I have not had much luck in other areas of the internet that I have been to when trying to do so. This role play will be titled the "Article of Misfortune" and it is a very interesting concept. Before reading any further, you do not have to know what Touhou is in order to be a part of it, however, I will have some links within this post to give you a better understanding of what it is all about, what the setting is and the two main characters that the role-play revolves around. With that being said, read on and I hope you will show interest! Also below after this description is a few notes on what I am personally looking for in this role play character wise, as I know a lot of this can be a bit overwhelming to some that do not know about the characters of Touhou, their abilities or anything at all regarding the series.

The setting of this role play will be mainly in the world of Gensokyo, which is an extremely large part of Japan that has many different sub-sections of places. A lot of Gensokyo is still considered to be unknown. With interesting places such as the Scarlet sisters Scarlet Devil Mansion where chaos and all sorts of weirdness happens, to Misty Lake, where some fairy youkai and other types of youkai go to relax. Thus far, counting some of the unnamed locations that have been found, there is a total of about eighty one areas where humans, youkai and monster alike roam the lands!

The role play is about two human girls from the outside world, Maribel Hearn (who I have personally wrote more about; also her japanese spelling is Maribel Han, so no real misspelling on the name) and Renko Usami, known for their club activities within the Sealing Club, are on another journey for Izanagi Objects, which are ancient objects hidden within Gensokyo that are considered a fable in the Outside World. Ever since the events of "Neo-traditionalism of Japan", the girls have searched in obscure areas far and wide across the outside world to get a new passageway into Gensokyo in order to find more pieces. After taking some time to gather themselves together, as Maribel was very unstable with Renko and her emotional state when they isolated her due to the Torifune Ruins incident in "Trojan Green Asteroid", she seems to have become much more stable with sharing her visions and her mental and emotional states are more at ease. Feeling better, she has decided to speak with Renko in regard to journeying back to Gensokyo.

With them wanting to journey back into the world of Gensokyo, the beginning of the role-play will start off with them taking a visit to a Buddhist temple within Kyoto at night which allows Maribel to use her ability to bring Renko with her into the world of Gensokyo. They fall into a graveyard that is spoken about in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense, Muenzuka, where it's near the edge of the outside world somewhat, but the barrier is loosened to where it couldn't effect much of anything, although, it is a graveyard so it is connected to the Netherworld, and with that being said, you never what might truly happen. Once they fall into this world like normal, a tengu reporter catches them in the woods without them knowing, noticing they are intruding into this world through what seemed to be a "rift" to them. The tengu reporter would then interrogate them, afterward, creating a article and sharing it with the entirety of Gensokyo. Normally tengu reporters, this one specifically who is named Hatate Himekaidou, sign their works, but they left this one anonymous intentionally for their own reasoning, so no one knows who created the actual article.

If things can not get any worse, the girls soon begin to realize that the borders that surround them are locked hours after their arrival. The borders, which are Maribel's way of getting in and out of Gensokyo, are critical to her because if she and Renko can not escape Gensokyo, then they are left to face the wilderness and danger of the unknown. It would appear as though a youkai of some sort has made it to where these boundaries are not able to be undone, not allowing Maribel and Renko to escape to the outside world. Unsure of what should happen, they begin to wander throughout Gensokyo.

Unbeknownst to them, however, Gensokyo is trying to figure out who these girls are, and various youkai / villages across Gensokyo hear about their intrusion. There is more to this story then described, but I will leave you with a few teasers and I hope to spark not only interest, but creativity in your veins to do something new!

Will you choose to be someone that tries to figure out what is going on with these girls and who they are / what their intentions are? Are you willing to help these outsiders get back to where they belong or will you be the person that brings them their demise? If not either of those two, are you a neutral power who will sit back and watch this all conspire or try and reap a reward or otherwise? What is locking the boundaries in Gensokyo? Will Maribel and Renko escape, and will they find the Izanagi Objects they seek? Or as they are both locked in the world together, will they die together trying to risk it all for ancient artifacts? Only time will tell.

• Most of the characters in the world of Gensokyo are youkai, which the description for what youkai are is linked above. Youkai are more than just spirits or ghosts. Anything from magicians to fairies, to witches and mermaids, anything is possible! Tsukumogami's, Yurei's, Bakomono's, Kyonshi's and just so much more! Study just a few Touhou characters and get an understanding! Humans are also a choice for you, but be warned that a lot of the humans within Gensokyo try to avoid confrontation with youkai due to their dangerous powers or skills!
  • As it can probably already be seen, original characters are welcome! If you want to play as a CANON Touhou character though, please let me know who and what you know about your choice. I will ask you a question or so regarding them because I want you to be knowledgeable in the aspects of said character! A link to a list of all Touhou characters can be found here!
  • There are SO many places in Gensokyo that anything and anyone can pop out of nowhere around here! When I say 'pop out of nowhere' I don't mean that literally, but you get the idea that you can always expect the unexpected. There is even Heaven and Hell in Gensokyo! Your mind might burst when it comes to figuring out different kinds of ideas!
  • This role-play has a "you make your choice, and try to effect the outcome" kind of premise. The character that you make and the actions that you allow yourself to commit will effect how the role play goes. Maribel and Renko are human and they are outsiders, meaning they have no experience with fighting, no magic powers or anything. That isn't to say that someone couldn't give them a magic item and they couldn't use it, because hey, cool stuff happens, correct? Or, you can just be that one antagonist who wants to lure them and try to make them feel safe, when in reality you are going to murder them for a reward from your superior Shinki! (Kidding of course, unless that's your choice also.) Please note though that you would have to center the beginning of your character around the fact they some how found out about this 'article.' You could find out about it from your maid, from walking past the paper, to seeing it happen from another place or hear about it from anyone. Anyone who takes part in the Article of Misfortune role-play, will have to find their way as to how they found about the article individually. I can help with that aspect if need be.
  • I am looking for additional ideas for Izanagi Object names and descriptions, so if you are into delving deeper with the relative psychologist (me, Maribel of course) then help me! I would love to work with you! That is, if Maribel and Renko survive this role play for a second coming!

So...Did I give you all too much detail? Although, like some have said before, quality over quantity! You can never have too much detail! Though it can baffle others at times. Would any of you be interested in this idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
HORI SHIET

--- Still, my knifing skills has declined....

Even so, you have my supportttt~

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back