• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Something Dark

Sakura Seoul

Half Breed
Hi~ I'm going out on a limb here... this is the first time I've been the originator of a thread. I hope that I don't look like a fool. xD;

I'm not as talented as most people here, so I'm afraid that I don't have a concrete idea plot-wise. All I know is that I'm craving a dark (possibly apocalyptic) drama. It should have some futuristic and fantasy elements, lightly integrated. If we go the apocalyptic route, and if you play video games and enjoy sci-fi movies, then think of a weird love-child between The Last of Us and Alien: Prometheus/Covenant. I can't launch an RP like this on my own because I'm a little short in the way of creative juices~

If you're interested in helping me create a roleplay, please speak up~

Here are some preferences that I have:

1. Although this could involve some fantasy, please be based in realism. (e.g. No anime/cartoon pictures, please. I'm a fan of cartoons myself, but it tends to dampen dark roleplays...)
  2. Characters should be mature adults. (i.e. No characters <~25 years old)
  3. Characters should be believable. (i.e. No "John was a super soldier who was at the top of his class in marksmanship. He was also a prodigy at the age of 12. His muscles rippled with every movement that he made" or "Sarah has a 22" waist and can bend herself into a pretzel. She was in an abusive relationship with her boyfriend. Later she learned how to defend herself and has multiple blackbelts in multiple fields of martial arts." Sometimes these end up being more comical than serious.)

(I hope that my preferences didn't come across as mean or inconsiderate.) I tend to be very laid-back, as I'm more of a follower than a leader. On that note, seriously, though, I would like for the roleplay to have a mature tone.

Not sure what else to say at this point! Here's to finding a group of fine people soon!

***I want this to be a mature roleplay, but not of the sexual variety. Having a character fall in love with another character is okay, but I will strictly reinforce the website's rules concerning adult content. Please don't even take it to PMs, as that's against the site's rules, too.

Last edited:
Bonjour! This sounds rather interesting, especially if its dark or apocalyptical, even better if it was somehow a fusion of both. So I would like to extend a hand here. I'm a gamer myself, but I haven't played The Last of Us or any of the Alien games. Is it, to offer different games, something like Fallout or Prey?

Hi, E50M E50M ! I didn't write that correctly xD The Last of Us is a video game but Alien: Prometheus/Covenant are movies. I've never played Prey, so I'm unsure about that one. It's kind of like Fallout.

Thank you, NightSky NightSky ~ I started a conversation with E50M and Sitting and Dreaming, but it was in the wee hours of the night. We'll see if we can't get the ball rolling on some ideas. Do you have any in particular? I'd love to hear anything you have so that we can get our brains buzzing.

Thank you, NightSky NightSky ~ I started a conversation with E50M and Sitting and Dreaming, but it was in the wee hours of the night. We'll see if we can't get the ball rolling on some ideas. Do you have any in particular? I'd love to hear anything you have so that we can get our brains buzzing.
I don't currently have any specific ideas but I really like the idea of taking inspiration from The Last of Us being a fan of the game myself. But I'll definitely let you know if I have any more ideas~

Here's what we discussed last night, in case you're interested. I'll keep our ideas to this thread so that everyone can read it~

E50M said:
If we're doing a futuristic/apocalyptical setting, we should probably decide how futuristic we want it to be and build it from there. Is space easily accessible or not in terms of the setting, assuming no doomsday scenario?

Sakura Seoul said:
E50M - Good question. What if we made space easily accessible prior to the apocalypse? They're not on earth, but a planet that can support human habitation. No one outside of the planet will come to them because they've been warned not to come due to the apocalyptic event (whatever it is that we come up with). Maybe that's a lame idea. Just throwing out the idea that came to my head right after I read your question.

E50M E50M Sitting and Dreaming Sitting and Dreaming NightSky NightSky

I've been thinking about how the apocalypse comes about. Two ideas so far:

1. Somehow a star collides with another planet and radiation from the blast is just strong enough to change the molecular DNA of humans and other living organisms. (I'm horrible with science, so maybe that's not even possible...)
  2. People have always been hung up with maintaining a youthful appearance. What if some small pharmaceutical company develops some kind of drug that actually works in preserving youth. The drug seems to be without side effects at first, but then (years later, after hundreds of thousands of people have taken the drug) people begin to fall to some mysterious illness.

I've been thinking about how the apocalypse comes about. Two ideas so far:

1. Somehow a star collides with another planet and radiation from the blast is just strong enough to change the molecular DNA of humans and other living organisms. (I'm horrible with science, so maybe that's not even possible...)
  2. People have always been hung up with maintaining a youthful appearance. What if some small pharmaceutical company develops some kind of drug that actually works in preserving youth. The drug seems to be without side effects at first, but then (years later, after hundreds of thousands of people have taken the drug) people begin to fall to some mysterious illness.
Oooh I really like number 2~

I like number one because science even though it's not possible, you could do a star exploded a distance away where the radiation burned earth. I can get more into detail once I get home.

If we're doing a setting where we're on a different planet during a post-apocalyptical event, we could make it a situation where we're on a planet that is currently being affected by major events or were affected by them. So there is no chance of escaping the hellish landscape that was once an Eden-like wrong nor do you want to considering exactly what is happening to other planets and what is going on. Like, borrowing Sakura Seoul Sakura Seoul 's idea, of a drug gone wrong, political destabilization, some A.I uprising, etc.

If we're doing Earth, could be the state following the collapse of a dystopian society? Or post-Utopian? From drugs, nanomachines, war, or even resource depletion.

Last edited:
Awesome! Now that I'm home, I think I can flesh this out a little more. The only reason I know about the topic is because astronomy is my shit, and I specifically did a project on the life cycle of a star cause it's interesting. Anywho, point is, the sun, as all stars do, will go through cycles of its evolution. Eventually, the sun will begin to expand and one day become a red giant, and take over the space of Earth's orbit because it becomes so big. But I guess that's besides the point but if we went with the sun's expansion, we could do something where the Earth is moving out of orbit for some reason and just barely escapes but not without changes to its surface where humans have trouble living.

Or we could have a star go through a supernova and Earth is unlucky enough to be in its pathway and the heat could destroy the surface or something. I'm not sure how to make it sound more realistic, but I'm not sure it even needs to be extremely realistic anyways.

Is there someway we can blend both ideas? What if the downhill battle begins with Sitting and Dreaming's idea. Because the star disrupts normal living conditions (loss of Internet and large scale power sources, etc.), it's no longer possible to keep future AI in check, thus causing an AI uprising. There could also be a small group of people that take advantage of the chaos and destabilization by producing a new form of drug that goes bad.

There could be multiple groups that add to the dynamic of the story: rogue AI, cultists (multiple), mutated-humans-turned-monster from the drugs, people just trying to survive, then the people trying to recreate society.

This sounds like Fallout now xD We'd make it darker though.

Perhaps we can go for a scenario where the world collapses under the weight of many issues happening at once? Say, that star disrupting systems that allow the future society to run is what tips the world over the edge. To put this in a more detailed way, before the star disrupts everything, there was already an unstable political situation, the threat of A.I. looms over everyone's head, some new wonder-drug turns out to become a bioweapon, resources are being depleted, and the economy is probably decaying faster than the Great Depression.

E50M E50M ~ I'm sorry for the delayed response. I found myself over-thinking how to make this an interesting roleplay, and it was burning me out. I'm able to concentrate on it again now. I like your idea. I think that having more than one central conflict could make for an interesting and variable story.

Okay, here's a layout of my notes. I left the "New Drug" column blank because I'm still a little fuzzy on its details. Please share your thoughts~ (Note: You might have to click on the image so that it's big enough to read the text.)

EDIT: To be added to the notes for "Star

It could also help explain why there’s political upheaval… countries are fighting to try and establish power on the new planet. On the other hand, it could disrupt the “Scarce Resources” conflict. A solution could be that analysis of the planet was wrong and there isn’t nearly as much resources available. It was kept a secret until a whistleblower made the news public. It was kept quiet in hopes that a permanent solution would come about. In the meantime, Earth is sending shipments of resources.

Additionally, it could help to explain why this new drug has gone wrong. Scientists of the drug implemented new elements found on the planet and distributed the drug before fully understanding its effects on humans.

full

Last edited:
For the drug gone wrong, it would depend on what it actually does. I would imagine, to make the story darker, that it forces mutation, is lethal in cases, and can cause side-effects to the user. For an example, in one situation it would outright kill a person and in another, it would simply cause them to be insane, a vegetable, or start hosting multiple diseases that affect the mind, the body, or both. In the third situation of what the drug can take, it can cause outright mutation of the user and cause them to warp into something. And by something, it means something that is definitely not human. You can also have some governments experimenting on the drug and modifying it upon news of what it can cause, bringing up different strains.

I would like to say that parts of the drug came from the new planet and some from Earth itself, modified of course. Also if you're searching for a map, I did a landscape art for a previous RP that didn't launch:
oesaria_world_map_by_demirari-db6xz7m.png

For the drug gone wrong, it would depend on what it actually does. I would imagine, to make the story darker, that it forces mutation, is lethal in cases, and can cause side-effects to the user. For an example, in one situation it would outright kill a person and in another, it would simply cause them to be insane, a vegetable, or start hosting multiple diseases that affect the mind, the body, or both. In the third situation of what the drug can take, it can cause outright mutation of the user and cause them to warp into something. And by something, it means something that is definitely not human. You can also have some governments experimenting on the drug and modifying it upon news of what it can cause, bringing up different strains.

I would like to say that parts of the drug came from the new planet and some from Earth itself, modified of course. Also if you're searching for a map, I did a landscape art for a previous RP that didn't launch:
oesaria_world_map_by_demirari-db6xz7m.png
I like where you're going with the outcomes of the drug. I'll revise the notes chart with what you have. (If the RP launches I'll be giving everyone credit where it's due~) Btw, that's an outstanding map. I wish I had that kind of skill!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back