World Building Small town in America

yoikes

The (Not So) Evil Mastermind
Hello guys! Some of you might remember about Lockwood, an RP that i believe i asked for advice for one year ago.

If you not, here's a quick introduction:
Welcome to Lockwood, a small (fictional) town located in Georgia with a population of no more than 1500. This town is always peaceful and 'nothing ever happens', or at least that’s what they want you to believe. There are many who have tried to stop the truth getting out.

Despite this, rumors have started to spread about the Blackwood forest located just outside of town. They say that if you go out there at night you can see the ghost of your loved one or even a ghost that looks like you.

At the same time, there have been many cases of people disappearing, and those same rumors now fearfully whisper of murders. Some say there’s a serial killer on the loose; others, a lunatic who managed to escape from the nearby asylum; others still, an angry ghost seeking vengeance for something in the past.

The truth is 'other realms' exist and Lockwood is one of many places in the world where the gap between two worlds are close enough to touch. The realm touching Blackwood forest feeds on humans’ dreams, and the ghosts people have seen are those dreams taking form. Yet where dreams live, so to can nightmares, and something sad, dark and dangerous is now taking form.

Worse still, noticing this phenomenon the government have begun investigating and researching this 'other realm', and like a moth to the flame, their activity has attracted the attention of something unimaginable from the other side...

The RP is character driven, which means the story and even the ending of the RP will change depending on what action your character take during a specific situation, what kind of interaction they have and how are they relationship with each other. That also means your character can die if you are not careful or reckless.

The main problem i have with this world building is that.... Yes, i am not an American! I do able to find several info i needed in Google, but i would appreciate it if someone could tell me more about small town in America or about Georgia. Even better, about small town in Georgia!

I am drawing a map right now and i drew some of the important stuffs that i talked about with my friend Tedronai Tedronai who i think are no longer active (are you? sorry if you do!)

Here is it in a list, with their description:

Blackwood Forest: 153-acre forest located just outside of Lockwood, separating the town and the Redlock reservoir, the dam, and a hydraulic power plant that powers Lockwood. Chocolate brown tree covered the entire area, but color disappeared with the warmth of the sun. It was always a little bit eerie at night, especially during a heavy rain or a storm.

Redlock's Campinground is a camping ground located near the reservoir (10-15 minute walk, in fact). They have 5 wooden cabins, RV parking spot and during spring/summer allows people to camp at several specific spots out in the woods.

'Lockwood Paranormal Tour':
A mysteriously abandoned cabin in the woods ((this is where the serial killer will appear later in the story)) that is used as a hideout for a ax murderer, supposedly there is a hidden door leading to a basement where the murderer hid all the bodies ((one of the few portals to the other realm));
The Great Oak that is believed to be the oldest tree in Lockwood that is located in the Town's Park, interestingly it has a rather big hollow hole right in the middle of it. Rumor has it is a portal to another world ((It is going to be));
Lockwood High School is believed to be haunted by civil war soldiers as it is believed that there was a battle fought in where the high school building is built. They are rumors that during the 1980s a satanic ritual was done inside the men's locker room ((There is. The crappy-ly made pentagram drawn on the wall will be another portal. If the students in the school are terribly scared by all the happenings later in the story, the soldiers and a goatman will roam the school at night. If not then the school will be a safe place to enter the other realm));

Maiden Drive: Lockwood's main street that connected all the smaller streets. Here you can find the police office, the motel, the mayor's building, the library, few shops and restaurants and the diner where everyone always gather every Saturday for Music Night.

Blackhill Gated Community: A gated community located near Redtile Farm, a place where the upper class family lives in Lockwood.

Redtile Farm: A farm that has been in Lockwood as long as the town itself. When the old Mr. Scott died of heart attack while tending the farm, Mrs. Scott decided to sell the farm and move to live with her children in the city. It was bought at the start of this year and a new family has settled in.

The Diner: No idea about name yet but this will be one of the important places in the RP especially for secret meetings and looking for information/gossips

Then small other places like:
Lotus Chinese Food (A part of the famous Chinese food chain restaurant, Lotus), the grocery store, the hardware store, hunting store, fishing store, bookstore, the butcher, the radio station.

Georgia is mostly desert. if you need a forest, any state in the distant north or any state with a mountain range will do. might i suggest either Oregon or Washington? those two states are mostly forested. but if you really wanted a forested southern state, my recommendation is this one region of Florida called the Everglades, which are mostly forest and swamp. the southern midwest is mostly desert all the way up to California and Nevada.

A swamp might be interesting, but not exactly what i imagined Lockwood will be.
I'll go check both Oregon and Washington! :D

A swamp might be interesting, but not exactly what i imagined Lockwood will be.
I'll go check both Oregon and Washington! :D

Georgia's most certainly *not* a desert .... that's like saying" Hong Kong is a desert " or that " Bangalore , India is also a desert " simply because they're on the similar longitude with Saudi Arabia / Tunisia / Morocco, etc . They are not deserts . Georgia's not a desert because you have factors like the Gulf stream , the north Atlantic current , Gulf of Mexico , how the climate works, etc .....

That and the fact that there are differences between each small " town" as per say ( Culture, economy , background , etc ) . Someone that hails from a small town in Vermont , would / could have different belief systems versus someone from Georgia versus someone from say California . There are other major factors , where even a small town that's close to a city, within the same state is far more different versus a small town that's not close to the city within the same state . Don't forget, a lot of the states are nearly just as big as European countries , if not larger in some cases .

Its like saying , someone from a small town from South Italy's similar to someone who is in a small town in northern Italy, which I'm sure that's certainly not the case either .

It also depends on the time period to which your talking about for a " small town " . There are some good fictional pieces written about a small town if you'd want to read it .

I'd recommend " Grapes of Wrath " by John Steinbeck . Portrays what a " small town " could be like in the US .

Last edited:
Hello guys! Some of you might remember about Lockwood, an RP that i believe i asked for advice for one year ago.

If you not, here's a quick introduction:
Welcome to Lockwood, a small (fictional) town located in Georgia with a population of no more than 1500. This town is always peaceful and 'nothing ever happens', or at least that’s what they want you to believe. There are many who have tried to stop the truth getting out.

Despite this, rumors have started to spread about the Blackwood forest located just outside of town. They say that if you go out there at night you can see the ghost of your loved one or even a ghost that looks like you.

At the same time, there have been many cases of people disappearing, and those same rumors now fearfully whisper of murders. Some say there’s a serial killer on the loose; others, a lunatic who managed to escape from the nearby asylum; others still, an angry ghost seeking vengeance for something in the past.

The truth is 'other realms' exist and Lockwood is one of many places in the world where the gap between two worlds are close enough to touch. The realm touching Blackwood forest feeds on humans’ dreams, and the ghosts people have seen are those dreams taking form. Yet where dreams live, so to can nightmares, and something sad, dark and dangerous is now taking form.

Worse still, noticing this phenomenon the government have begun investigating and researching this 'other realm', and like a moth to the flame, their activity has attracted the attention of something unimaginable from the other side...

The RP is character driven, which means the story and even the ending of the RP will change depending on what action your character take during a specific situation, what kind of interaction they have and how are they relationship with each other. That also means your character can die if you are not careful or reckless.

The main problem i have with this world building is that.... Yes, i am not an American! I do able to find several info i needed in Google, but i would appreciate it if someone could tell me more about small town in America or about Georgia. Even better, about small town in Georgia!

I am drawing a map right now and i drew some of the important stuffs that i talked about with my friend Tedronai Tedronai who i think are no longer active (are you? sorry if you do!)

Here is it in a list, with their description:

Blackwood Forest: 153-acre forest located just outside of Lockwood, separating the town and the Redlock reservoir, the dam, and a hydraulic power plant that powers Lockwood. Chocolate brown tree covered the entire area, but color disappeared with the warmth of the sun. It was always a little bit eerie at night, especially during a heavy rain or a storm.

Redlock's Campinground is a camping ground located near the reservoir (10-15 minute walk, in fact). They have 5 wooden cabins, RV parking spot and during spring/summer allows people to camp at several specific spots out in the woods.

'Lockwood Paranormal Tour':
A mysteriously abandoned cabin in the woods ((this is where the serial killer will appear later in the story)) that is used as a hideout for a ax murderer, supposedly there is a hidden door leading to a basement where the murderer hid all the bodies ((one of the few portals to the other realm));
The Great Oak that is believed to be the oldest tree in Lockwood that is located in the Town's Park, interestingly it has a rather big hollow hole right in the middle of it. Rumor has it is a portal to another world ((It is going to be));
Lockwood High School is believed to be haunted by civil war soldiers as it is believed that there was a battle fought in where the high school building is built. They are rumors that during the 1980s a satanic ritual was done inside the men's locker room ((There is. The crappy-ly made pentagram drawn on the wall will be another portal. If the students in the school are terribly scared by all the happenings later in the story, the soldiers and a goatman will roam the school at night. If not then the school will be a safe place to enter the other realm));

Maiden Drive: Lockwood's main street that connected all the smaller streets. Here you can find the police office, the motel, the mayor's building, the library, few shops and restaurants and the diner where everyone always gather every Saturday for Music Night.

Blackhill Gated Community: A gated community located near Redtile Farm, a place where the upper class family lives in Lockwood.

Redtile Farm: A farm that has been in Lockwood as long as the town itself. When the old Mr. Scott died of heart attack while tending the farm, Mrs. Scott decided to sell the farm and move to live with her children in the city. It was bought at the start of this year and a new family has settled in.

The Diner: No idea about name yet but this will be one of the important places in the RP especially for secret meetings and looking for information/gossips

Then small other places like:
Lotus Chinese Food (A part of the famous Chinese food chain restaurant, Lotus), the grocery store, the hardware store, hunting store, fishing store, bookstore, the butcher, the radio station.

Seems to be fine, but the biggest thing your probably missing about a " small town " is that in general ( at least the ones I've seen / been to, etc ) .

The community is much more tight knit . The culture reflects that. Yes places are important, but what dominates small towns would be the community ( aka the gossip , families know each other as they've been around for years if not generations ) .

Everyone knows each other to a certain extent. They know their names and who they're related to , they'll also know specific major events that might have occurred, be it a marriage , death, etc....... Such things do set a " small town " apart from a larger town or even a city . ( Although it depends which parts of the city your talking about , some parts could actually mirror how a small town works, just in a different light . ) .

Would probably put in some more work on that aspect, but beyond that...if your looking for " places" and all ... what you've set up could work for a small town. If you'd really want to drill down to it , i'd probably lose the Chinese food place ( usually that isn't present in all the small towns , or even the majority of them ) , the radio station ? Usually that's a bit iffy .... could exist in a small town that's for sure, but they're usually found in larger towns and/or cities.

Also , if your talking about Civil war soldiers and all .... Georgia's a good start.... One of the civil war's pivotal events occurred there ( aka Sherman's march ) . A lot of people died trying to stop Sherman's march to the sea which did wreck a lot of small towns in its path .

So much the above. Yeah Georgia is not at all desert like it's I believe right above Florida so your talking more or less temperate to tropical.

And forests exist along most of the northern states not just Oregon and Washington. You've also got the upper east coast, Indiana , Ohio, Tennessee.

lol tbh most of our country has forest somewhere

And yeah across states you have very different portrayals of small towns.

Over all I would just google small towns in the us and use that for setting.

Seems to be fine, but the biggest thing your probably missing about a " small town " is that in general ( at least the ones I've seen / been to, etc ) .

The community is much more tight knit . The culture reflects that. Yes places are important, but what dominates small towns would be the community ( aka the gossip , families know each other as they've been around for years if not generations ) .

Everyone knows each other to a certain extent. They know their names and who they're related to , they'll also know specific major events that might have occurred, be it a marriage , death, etc....... Such things do set a " small town " apart from a larger town or even a city . ( Although it depends which parts of the city your talking about , some parts could actually mirror how a small town works, just in a different light . ) .

Would probably put in some more work on that aspect, but beyond that...if your looking for " places" and all ... what you've set up could work for a small town. If you'd really want to drill down to it , i'd probably lose the Chinese food place ( usually that isn't present in all the small towns , or even the majority of them ) , the radio station ? Usually that's a bit iffy .... could exist in a small town that's for sure, but they're usually found in larger towns and/or cities.

Also , if your talking about Civil war soldiers and all .... Georgia's a good start.... One of the civil war's pivotal events occurred there ( aka Sherman's march ) . A lot of people died trying to stop Sherman's march to the sea which did wreck a lot of small towns in its path .

Actually a few ethnic places would make sense unless we're talking flat out a town of aggressive bigots.

And actually bigotry is also super big in small town America. Not like lynchings or anything but there will still be people talking about foreigners or the gays or the blacks in derogatory way.

And in the South especially your "people" are important. Meaning everyone wants to know or judge you based on your relations. Outsiders can be a little out of the loop there - people that just moved or don't have people.

But you are correct - there would be no radio station probably although there is a slim possibility there could be.

Another thing is - people don't like to leave small towns. Especially older people, we got some folks that come into our library that consider driving thirty minutes to the nearest city to be "going out of town" and will only do it to for emergencies.

Or for work.

Actually a few ethnic places would make sense unless we're talking flat out a town of aggressive bigots.

And actually bigotry is also super big in small town America. Not like lynchings or anything but there will still be people talking about foreigners or the gays or the blacks in derogatory way.

And in the South especially your "people" are important. Meaning everyone wants to know or judge you based on your relations. Outsiders can be a little out of the loop there - people that just moved or don't have people.

Not necessarily , just because a town doesn't have ethnic food related shops in it does not mean that they are full of aggressive bigots .

Many small towns aren't areas with a hotbed of economic activity . Not all of them or even the majority of them are located along the " main highways " or such . If you drive say .... 2 hours ( not talking about the NE and or California such ) from say St. Louis , east, north west or south , your going to encounter small towns where there isn't any ethnic food if any .

It isn't because they're " aggressive bigots" its simply because there isn't the demand there to support that kind of place. Small towns are small ( in general, not talking about the exceptions to the rule like Martha's Vineyard, etc ) because they were established years ago, but they didn't " become " a larger town or such because there isn't enough economic activity to spur on that kind of growth .

If you were a restaurateur, would you open a restaurant were there were a few cars or trucks that passed through ? Or a place where the median income might be barely above minimum wage if even that ? Or a place where there's less then X amount of people located on a large swath of land ?

Your not because there isn't enough economic activity to justify opening a restaurant in said area. You'd rather open one by a larger town ( which often is located around a highway or waterway or by the air port ) .... or even in a city .....

More demand.... = justifies the diversity in ethnic food offerings .

Tldr ; You need demand to actually justify a variety of " food " and " culture" . Without it , there is no reason to justify anything beyond a diner....if even that even ...

Last edited:
Not necessarily , just because a town doesn't have any minorities in it does not mean that they are full of aggressive bigots .

Many small towns aren't areas with a hotbed of economic activity . Not all of them or even the majority of them are located along the " main highways " or such . If you drive say .... 2 hours ( not talking about the NE and or California such ) from say St. Louis , east, north west or south , your going to encounter small towns where there isn't any ethnic food if any .

It isn't because they're " aggressive bigots" its simply because there isn't the demand there to support that kind of place. Small towns are small ( in general, not talking about the exceptions to the rule like Martha's Vineyard, etc ) because they were established years ago, but they didn't " become " a larger town or such because there isn't enough economic activity to spur on that kind of growth .

If you were a restaurateur, would you open a restaurant were there were a few cars or trucks that passed through ? Or a place where the median income might be barely above minimum wage if even that ? Or a place where there's less then X amount of people located on a large swath of land ?

Your not because there isn't enough economic activity to justify opening a restaurant in said area. You'd rather open one by a larger town ( which often is located around a highway or waterway or by the air port ) .... or even in a city .....

More demand.... = justifies the diversity in ethnic food offerings .

Tldr ; You need demand to actually justify a variety of " food " and " culture" . Without it , there is no reason to justify anything beyond a diner....if even that even ...

First off I am from a small town ( Indiana not Georgia but still they're not especially different in this topic. Indiana might be a touch more racist actually but I've not spent any time in Georgia to tell )

Second off the point I was trying to sell is that there will be some ethnic places to eat - we have four within five minutes of one another that I can think of off the top of my head.

Two asian and two latin.

And different restraunts will pop up depending on what people will eat but I think you're somewhat mistaking the idea of a small town. It doesn't have to be a one stop light kind of place. And even then you could very well have at least one ethnic place if only for variety.

Secondly when I said a town full of aggressive bigots I meant that it's unlikely to exist period but if it did it would explain the lack of ethnic food because the people within would consider furreign food to be beneath them or somehow wrong. ( because really hard core white supremacists would absolutely think that )

But the chances of an entire town being made up of white supremacists is extremely unlikely. However a degree of bigotry will exist. Especially in the south where segregation and the like are barely two generations removed.

Now I'm not saying you'll see a lot of obvious racism but it will definately exist. It's a pretty big thing in the smaller communities where again everyone knows one another and they are all raised with more or less the same beliefs.

Now you'll get varying levels it's true - anything from people who just find blacks/homosexuals/etc to be distasteful or uncomfortable to people who are just flat out white supremacists and think anyone who isn't exactly like them ( in appearance and ideology ) are unamerican.

But you'll get more of the former than the latter in all likelihood.

And even some people who try for equality too - i mean small-mindedness is common but it doesn't make the people bad or wrong.

It's just a matter of perspective. When most of your life you're surrounded by people who look and think like you facing people who are different ( whether outsiders or minorities ) can be challenging.

First off I am from a small town ( Indiana not Georgia but still they're not especially different in this topic. Indiana might be a touch more racist actually but I've not spent any time in Georgia to tell )

Second off the point I was trying to sell is that there will be some ethnic places to eat - we have four within five minutes of one another that I can think of off the top of my head.

Two asian and two latin.

And different restraunts will pop up depending on what people will eat but I think you're somewhat mistaking the idea of a small town. It doesn't have to be a one stop light kind of place. And even then you could very well have at least one ethnic place if only for variety.

Secondly when I said a town full of aggressive bigots I meant that it's unlikely to exist period but if it did it would explain the lack of ethnic food because the people within would consider furreign food to be beneath them or somehow wrong. ( because really hard core white supremacists would absolutely think that )

But the chances of an entire town being made up of white supremacists is extremely unlikely. However a degree of bigotry will exist. Especially in the south where segregation and the like are barely two generations removed.

Now I'm not saying you'll see a lot of obvious racism but it will definately exist. It's a pretty big thing in the smaller communities where again everyone knows one another and they are all raised with more or less the same beliefs.

Now you'll get varying levels it's true - anything from people who just find blacks/homosexuals/etc to be distasteful or uncomfortable to people who are just flat out white supremacists and think anyone who isn't exactly like them ( in appearance and ideology ) are unamerican.

But you'll get more of the former than the latter in all likelihood.

And even some people who try for equality too - i mean small-mindedness is common but it doesn't make the people bad or wrong.

It's just a matter of perspective. When most of your life you're surrounded by people who look and think like you facing people who are different ( whether outsiders or minorities ) can be challenging.

And I've driven through them and I've got friends from small towns . Just because a small town has two different shops that have " ethnic food" and all doesn't mean that it actually is the true for *all* or even the majority of small towns.

You'd probably find specific services that you'd find odd to others ( such as Cow/ Steer baby sitting, and such, yes that exists , but only in specific locations/ areas ) .

Also, the OP didn't mention what time period this took place. If this took place before the 80's or so .... You'd have a different environment. For all we know this could have taken place in 1940 , I'd highly doubt you'd see a ton of small towns with ethnic food, simply because the racial makeup of the US back then , is far more different then it is currently today .

Racism exists ? Well maybe in your area, it depends again on the area to where the small town is located at. I try not to paint entire swaths of the population as " hurr durr, they're from a small town so therefore they are racist because they don't have ethnic food , etc " . That is a conclusion I'd wish not to make . That is similar to saying everyone from population " XYZ" behaves a specific way because of event " ABC" .

Those who believe that all small towns are " racist" or even the super majority of them ? Again they're painting a large population with broad-strokes , I don't see that much of a difference between doing that and saying " Asians act this way because of XYZ " ... ( which is in a way racist ) .

Oh wow this just blows overnight.
  1. It will set in modern day. 2017/2018, spring is ending in a week (So somewhere in June?).
  2. No radio station, got it. I actually also planned a clinic/small hospital
  3. I think it would be great if Lockwood has a diverse population, both in race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.
  4. I also have the idea of having a farm and gated community in town
  5. If Southern states are a bit more, ahem, 'culturally racist' then we could move the setting to Northern states like Indiana, Oregon, Washington

This may sound stupid or irrelevant but I think this can help. If your wanting to get an idea of what small town America is like then I'd suggest listening to country music. Maybe just for a whole day YouTube some country songs and perhaps write while they play in your head.

I think this would help you get the feel for what a small town is like and the people in them. I often find lyrics of small towns in many country songs.

Just some out of the box advice. Try it or not, the choice is yours.

Okay my first post above was made before I read through the comments. Now that I have read through them I must make another. I still think you should try out what I said above, but if you don't like country music then you don't have to. However I think it could help. I wouldn't blame you if you don't tho, because if you don't like something then you just don't like it.

Now, the thing I wanted to address is the topic of "bigots" and "racism" in small towns. He'll I don't even know why really, I guess it just kinda irked me. First of all I'd like to establish that I know what I'm talking about or at least have some solid understanding of a "small town."

I've lived on a pig farm from the time I was 4-12 in Kearney MO. I've also lived in a town of 400 people which wasn't even on a map. Quite frankly I've lived in several small towns ranging from populations as low as 400 (like above) to 2,400. Also I've lived in big cities such as Kansas City, MO. St. Joe, Raytown, a short while in St. Louis and practically all over MO.

Small towns can be easily stereotyped and, sadly, they often are. My best advice is to take these stereotypes lightly (like you should all stereotypes) and don't rely on them. Most small towns I'd say are fairly close. Of course I think the size of the town effects this greatly; the smaller the town the more likely people will know each other. Simple enough right?

However small towns (or at least the ones I've lived in) are not a bunch of racist assholes. (Racism exist, sure, but it exists everywhere) He'll I'd even say racism is more common in cities. But it's whatever, people will argue that I'm sure. The point is it's not as common as some would make it out to be. Especially in school, which you have a growing number of youth learning that racism is in fact ignorant. Regardless if your grandpa says it ain't. Catchin what I'm putting down?

It was mentioned earlier that people grow up thinking alike. Now this may be kinda true but it's also kinda not. More importantly I think in small towns people are raised with certain values which seem to be a lot more common amongst the people.

I wouldn't say they think alike, simply because everyone thinks differently. We can all form our own opinions, and I think (like I said above) the newer generations are...well how do I word it....less racist? (For lack of better wording)

Now most people from small towns, or country people, tend to be raised around core values or beliefs. The ones I've come across mainly are hard work, provide and take care of your family, God's real, respect everyone, patriotism and discipline.

Small towns, in my opinion, are where America shines. I love them, far more than the city (and I've seen it all there too) and I'm not ashamed to say that.

As far as ethnic food, my town has a Chinese place on the square. A matter of fact the waitress, an Asian lady, knows me by name and will automatically bring me a root beer because I'm a regular. Of course I tip well, because I was raised with those good 'ol country values. My dad beat them into me.

This is my take on small town America. I hope it helps.

Map v1
  • The reservoir and camping site are on higher ground
  • This is on purpose, kinda want to style the map like this. I will fix my handwriting if it's unreadable
  • Additional informations will be put in map legend, in the final design (Kinda want to make this into a printable tourism brochure)
skLugwl.jpg

link

Well Indiana is actually pretty prone to racism so if your wanting to avoid that Id not place your town there. And look I'm not saying people are all racists in small town but it should be noted Our town once hosted the KKK in a rally so it's not a stereotype but an actual thing.

So while other people might have other experiences I am saying as someone who has grown up in a fairly racist town it's not just oooh the south is rednecks and that's a stereotype.

No some places are actually genuinely racist and exclusionary.

And I've already listed the reason why.

Now again different towns will have different outlooks.

And to be honest it isn't like super important where you place the town unless your using a real place. As you can see from this thread American small towns differ wildly but you can pretty much put them anywhere and run into the same arguments.

Some people will say - they're inclusive, some will say they are exclusive.

Some will say they are tiny one stoplight towns other historical sites.

I think your wanting more of a feel than a location so I'd focus on that.

To be honest small towns aren't even necessarily that uniform even among people who live in them and plenty Americans are gonna only familiar with stereotypes themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back