• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Small group fantasy/military anime inspired...

norway

a white butterfly
So, my idea is both vague, and largely based off the anime GATE.

Two realms collide, one of our modern day, and another that's entirely fantasy; with our military's interest piqued, we begin immediate investigation of this other realm, where our bullets meet mana. I'd like for this to be a small group if possible, two to four people, likely all doubling for the sake of gender balance -- we would focus mostly on the military's (soldier) side of things as we explore uncharted territory, new customs, different races and become emotionally invested in the well being of these new races, as well as caught up in the politics of the kingdom's and clans. There will be an ultimate antagonist(s) or majorly problematic events to prevent, but also character development and some decision making based on group thoughts. Though we'll also incorporate other races, likely one per person as I'd like everyone to write as one solider minimum. Idea needs a lot of fleshing out, likely some world/population building, and I do want it to be anime inspired so, yes, that would be the rule with the face claim.

Just wondering if anyone (or two, or three) dedicated individual would be interested. I'll be out of state for a while and thus, while I'll likely be around to chat OOC and brainstorm, I will not be extremely active posting, this story may not start for a few weeks, but I'll pretty up some threads and have us work on some relatively detailed characters in the meantime. But I care about this idea and would like to see if we could have fun with it -- plus, I just really like writing with guns. And I'm looking forward to party banter because that's what life is all about.

So post here if you're down for the journey, or have questions/suggestions. Would prefer some moderately detailed writers but I'm not looking for novels, in fact I'd prefer minimum 2 paragraphs, maximum like 5.

I might be interested. GATE is one of my favorite animes of all time. The second season ended in a weird place and it doesn't look like we'll be getting a third season anytime soon. I have a few questions:

1. For clarification, is this going to be strictly AU and only drawing on GATE as inspiration?
2. Is the expectation that we will each play one military character as our primary and a fantasy character as a secondary (more like the anime in terms of group composition), or that we will double up on military characters (with fantasy character serving more as npcs for plot)?

I'm intrigued, lad. I wanna be a military character, I'd love seeing the way the two sides balance each other. Good idea mate.

Defiantly interested in this for sure!!

1467462743866.png a70.png.jpg Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 8.40.28 pm.png Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 8.39.08 pm.png p4ufxx6j6w2z.jpg 3fac1beeddce8b773c2545ff138811e4.jpg 4bc6c8d527a7b16d644847a0a1ed7312.jpg 9f5ccd4256fe9d3b5b44cd2457bfcb3a.jpg 66cb057b11472f831f2f40bc9cf5a5e6--manga-anime-girl-anime-art.jpg 2470bfd288647ca15bf98730e3c81ffe.jpg 2501b0c62b60615b6740287bc4a4fad9.jpg 9604f7f473be954e3792bd6afe7f7eff--manga-girl-anime-girls.jpg 55343b17a609debc57b9547a97f52fb2.jpg 458ce520218e98449d7b80a55cd57673.jpg Ci2VrMNVEAYJdHk.jpg a121899d64c302a57ec3dd15563e1eb2.jpg ae5442ccb2d435051cbdaed4d37fbb7c.jpg c6df327ee0b854498f2f4038330c9ce8--couple-hugging-cute-chibi.jpg c7c422679e35f0f9232e2194a6a7fc21.jpg

I might be interested. GATE is one of my favorite animes of all time. The second season ended in a weird place and it doesn't look like we'll be getting a third season anytime soon. I have a few questions:

1. For clarification, is this going to be strictly AU and only drawing on GATE as inspiration?
2. Is the expectation that we will each play one military character as our primary and a fantasy character as a secondary (more like the anime in terms of group composition), or that we will double up on military characters (with fantasy character serving more as npcs for plot)?

1. Only drawing inspiration, yes -- as much as I adore Itami, these would be our original characters, and our own world, though we could also keep the reality side Japan, if that's something everyone wants.

2. Everyone must write as a solider. But if you'd like to have a second primary character, that is from the fantasy realm, that's fine. So initially you'd be doubling up with two characters of equal importance that will have balanced interaction, although the fantasy creatures will likely come in a little later, after we've established our soldiers and set the scene for the start of the story. Does that make sense? There will be side characters and NPC's, who plays them will be decided in OC. You could definitely create a fantasy character of your choice and have them more as a secondary character, but that's entirely your choice how incorporated into the story your second character is. All I require is that everyone portray a soldier, despite how much we'll be exploring the focus will be the soldier's reacting to this new world.

I'm intrigued, lad. I wanna be a military character, I'd love seeing the way the two sides balance each other. Good idea mate.
Happy to have your interest, guys. And thanks for the image references. (:

I'll strike up a thread when I'm certain we have a couple people. There will be a major strive for balance so no one is OP or invincible,

norway norway

Cool. My next question was going to be about whether we would be from Earth (and take with it all of its political baggage) or if we would be from an original, modern, equivalent world. The first would obviously be quicker and easier to roll with but gives us less flexibility, but it sounds like you haven't set in stone which would work best with whatever plot ideas you have currently.

Originally I was more curious what character I might play beside my military one, but I've been falling in love with one of my ideas for a soldier recently. I'm even debating not playing another character just to give this one more of my effort. I'll run the idea by you first, though, so I don't get too set on this character if it doesn't fit in well. Right now I'm thinking a of playing a lady that's a military journalist.

59d03ba9b44efd09c3e475dc83a8bc647e3a8278.png

As with all wars, public opinion has a large effect on your chances of victory. If other nations, or your own people, don't feel it's a justified war then all sorts of problems can arise. Worst case scenario, other nations ally themselves with your opponent and you're now Nazi Germany fighting the Comintern and the Allies at the same time. Best case scenario, you have low morale in your own troops leading to possible refusal of orders, desertions, intel leaks, sabotage, or defections. Neither option being good when fighting a war. My character would be a Public Affairs attachment to the recon squad (I'm assuming) with the tasks of being the official government representative during peaceful encounters, an advisor to the commanding officer during hostile negotiations (particularly to ensure any deal made is legal, maintains national security, and beneficial), recording and photographing events that help maintain public support and troop morale, as well as recording and, if possible, photographing or video taping any misconduct of her assigned squad as evidence in the event of a court-martial. While technically she would have completed basic training and everything, her job would make her a non-combatant by international conventions so she doesn't carry a firearm. Besides, she kinda sucks at shooting and could use the extra space and weight on batteries for her equipment. She might also be able to serve as the squad's radio operator in they don't have a dedicated comm guy.

It's not the only idea I have for a character, but it's my favorite right now. Let me know what you think. Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious I'm actually in the military. I have a reasonable understanding of how these things work (though my job is actually base comms). I love the show for how accurate it gets most things.

One last question (for now). Are we starting before our forces have established the foothold on the other side, or after?

ithinkcat ithinkcat

Seeing as we'll likely already have some world building cut out for us with the fantasy realm, I'd just have our soldiers come from earth, though if it's preferred that we conjure up a modern equivalent with less of the baggage our world has, that's fine. Honestly I can go either way, though I don't want to spend too much time on world building as that means the story will start at a later and later date.

Firstly, thank you for your service. (: Secondly, I think your journalist would be a phenomenal addition and would love to see her as part of our story group! So if that's who you want to write as, go for it, though you have time to explore any other ideas you might have had as I get the character sheet and threads ready. Not only that but if there are other soldiers you'd like to create as side characters or NPC's, I'd prefer you PM me so we can be on the same page about the military but I'm perfectly fine with that as well! Your experience is extremely reassuring for me seeing as I am not in the military, and would hate to do it injustice, so perhaps you can offer your opinion and keep this relatively realistic. Of course, not everything has to be logical, it is a story after all, haha.

That is about as debatable as the inquiry about earth or an original modern world -- I feel like both would be really good routes to take, honestly. If you have an opinion encouraging one or the other, I'm all ears. Personally I think starting after would be less of a drag, as a lot of introduction tends to get long winded -- but it also helps to set the tone, and get an understanding of our characters and their initial reactions to both the attack, and the exploration. So honestly I'm not sure.

Ultimately my hope was to create an OOC and discuss this with a couple players and get everyone's thoughts, because I feel limited to my own perspective and think having everyone toss in an idea makes things more diverse. I may do just that actually, since I have a couple people who seem down for the ride.

Looks like we're getting a good little group together. Oh, and happy New Years everyone.

Deucalion Deucalion
That obnoxiousness is me. I apologize.

Cosmos Cosmos
I've been meaning to say this, but you got to be the nicest person on RPNation. I've seen you around the forums before and you "like" almost everything and your posts are always positive.

Looks like we're getting a good little group together. Oh, and happy New Years everyone.

Deucalion Deucalion

Cosmos Cosmos
I've been meaning to say this, but you got to be the nicest person on RPNation. I've seen you around the forums before and you "like" almost everything and your posts are always positive.

Well, if you're adding to the obnoxious coolness, I hardly see a reason to apologize! :P

Deucalion Deucalion

Cosmos Cosmos
XD Tanks!!

XD Tanks!!
I've been around on and off for years and I can attest to this, you're really one of the sweetest members! We used to talk a lot, actually, can't remember what about though, lol.

Deucalion Deucalion

Cosmos Cosmos
Happy New years to you as well!

Also ithinkcat ithinkcat Cosmos Cosmos Deucalion Deucalion Proper Brit Proper Brit GrieveWriter GrieveWriter

OOC is up, CS thread will be up shortly.

Disenchanted (OOC)

sorry if I over tagged, idek if they're working which is why I tagged y'all p much everywhere lmao.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back