• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings Sleip's Partner Search | Wild West, Weird West, and Paranormal

Sleipnir

The Eight-Legged Norse Horse
Hello folks, my name is Sleipnir and I'm looking for some 1x1 games. Usually I like a good group roleplay, but unfortunately, right now I'm struggling to find things that catch my fancy. I recently finished a book draft and found myself in possession of a lot more free time now that I'm editing, and I don't even know what to do with myself anymore! The obvious answer?? Find other things to write.

So, I'm doing that. Mostly I'm interested in wild west, weird west, and more modern paranormal stuff in the CryptidCore sort of way -- mothman, jersey devil, weird urban cult stuff, you know. That. If any of that sounds fun, read on!

Me / What I'm looking for
  • I'm relatively active, but I'll likely only respond first thing in the mornings while I'm starting my day or after I get home from work, energy allowing (I can be pretty exhausted if it's a bad day!) -- my days off are in the middle of the week. Given the inconsistency of my work schedule, some mornings I'll have a good hour and a half to just relax and drink tea and mess around, while other days I'm on the clock at 6:30 after being awake for like half an hour.
  • I like plotting WITH people and including ideas! I'll have vague concepts and ideas here, but probably not extremely detailed plots
  • Ghost friendly/alright with a partner dropping off for months before suddenly reviving old threads. It’s all good
  • I'm more interested in adventures/stories/plots than romance -- I know romance is a big thing in 1x1 games and I'm not opposed to it, and if it happens, that's wonderful, but it's not at all a requirement for me.
  • I'm a history nerd and I work in outdoor tourism in the southwest. Chances are, I'm gonna gravitate toward outdoorsy ideas, and I'm always looking for cowboys. Gotta be one of my favorite genders
  • I'm good with long term plans too, but I'm mostly looking at quicker, shorter/more direct ideas at the moment. If you want, though, and our characters vibe, I'm so down for multiple games in continuity!
  • As I will no doubt make... very clear in this little thread, I'm not looking for someone to slot into a predetermined role. I like building with people, so I'd love to chat some and build plot ideas together.
  • I mentioned before that romance isn't the point but I'm open to it -- having said that, I'm also planning on hosting here on RPNation, so all those rules apply. Characters can do whatever, but I don't plan on writing about the spicy stuff.
  • DMing me is TOTALLY cool, I'm down to plot together and would love to be approachable!
  • As far as length expectations go, I'll do semi-literate mostly. I like a couple paragraphs per response, but nothing too crazy -- we aren't doing this for a grade or something. I'll be looking for more than a few sentences, but I'm not expecting any 1,000 word responses or something unless you just want to and don't mind that I'll be doing something closer to a few hundred words at most.
  • If any of that sounds good to you, feel free to post here or even just DM me right away!
Thoughts and Ideas
  • Wild West! Western themed things are my favorite genre. I live and work surrounded by the history and I adore the aesthetics, the vibes, the drama, and, of course, the Gender of it all. I'm especially fond of queer culture in the 1800s west, being queer myself. I'm good with a traditional, good old fashion American West setting. I'm also fairly familiar with the Red Dead Redemption "american west" from playing Red Dead Online, but I'm not familiar with the storyline of Red Dead and would definitely be using the world to expand upon and play within (seeing as Rockstar abandoned the online game so it's free real estate). I'd also be down for some Ned Kelly antics, so I'm open to the possibility of Australian Western. Ideas for these settings include things like...
    • An outlaw and [insert character B] going after a mutual enemy, local nuisance gang, corrupt local law enforcement, or other acceptably villainous target for mutual benefits
    • Characters going out to capture or retrieve a bounty of some kind
    • Potential shenanigans involving freeing or stealing animals from a traveling circus, if you're feeling goofy
    • Characters attempting to solve a mystery, capture a killer, or protect someone (NPC or Character B, who knows) from some power structure (a bank, the cattleman's association, the railroad, etc) trying to take their property/land
    • Or anything else, really! I'm not craving specific plots here. I'm more interested in tailoring ideas based on the characters.
  • Weird West! Wild West is one thing. Weird West is its own can of worms. Aliens? Ghosts? Zombies? Witches? Mad scientists? Opera basement incels pretending to be witches? (Yes, I know that's just that one musical!) All fair game. What's out West? Anything you don't quite understand, because the "wild" west -- the american frontier -- is a strange, untamed place, full of scary stuff. Weird West can be ANY of those things, as well as having southern gothic themes. I'm also a firm believer that Weird West exists on a spectrum! Weird West can vary anywhere from "Here there be ghosts" to "This is strange, slightly less than normal, and I swear this happened, but I can't prove it". I'm an avid lover of the boardgame Shadows of Brimstone, and that's where I learned to love Weird West. While it's theoretically popular, I've never actually met anyone else who's heard of it, so I'm not looking specifically for that setting.
    • Weird West games could include anything that normal wild west could have, but more.
    • Could contain accusations of witchcraft and proving a character's innocence or finding the source of their accusations, or even escaping a town bent on a character's demise if they are a witch
    • Perhaps stumbling upon a lab suspiciously akin to the experiments of one Victor Frankenstein
    • A town plagued by ghosts, or a haunted location with locals seeking some escape from the apparitions
    • Demons, monsters, or aliens of some kind and locals being forced to defend their homesteads from them
    • Or, once again, anything else -- I'm not looking for some specific plot, I'm looking to come up with ideas to play characters and write together.
  • Modern Paranormal! This is kind of the odd one out, but I'd also enjoy playing something focusing on things like cryptids, ghosts, or other urban weirdness. More alien and less fantasy, if that makes sense -- I'm not really looking for vampires and werewolves or magic powers here. I'm leaning more X-Files than that, but not a strictly FBI/Men in Black/Secret agent vibe. It's a little vague, but I've got a taste for it.
    • Things like the Mothman being spotted in a local small community with troubling frequency
    • Alien sightings or similar unexplained phenomena
    • Haunted lighthouses or buildings to be investigated and cleared out
    • Other strange paranormal occurrences

All that is a little vague, but ultimately, the point I mean to emphasize is I don't want to control your role! I want to hear about your character concepts, chat, and build an idea together rather than hand anyone a ready-made idea. I'm all about settings, not specific plots. That being said, I have a few characters I typically like writing about...

My Characters (Abbreviated)
Look I get really into my favorite OCs (don't we all??), so this is just gonna be a brief overview of a few of them that appeal to me. This may change or grow overtime.

Morgan McCoy is my primary character for a modern paranormal setting. She's a snarky, friendly, extroverted woman who likes rock climbing, bouldering, hiking, pretty dresses, lyra dance, baking, and making ice cream. She's also really, really prone to running into really weird stuff. She's outdoorsy and usually cast as working as a Park Service or Forest Service ranger, and generally ends up running into SOMETHING weird on the job. Sometimes that's a tree with bones hung in it. Sometimes there's a ghost in her visitor center. Sometimes she ends up looking for Mothman. You never really know with her. (She's also bi, in case it comes up.)

Judas Cloud is my favorite wild west/weird west character. Judas is typically cast as an outlaw, but at times can also be played as a slightly amoral cowboy or mustanger. He works horses, causes trouble, and loves bothering people. Trouble keeps life interesting, after all. Judas can certainly be considered a bad boy type, though he doesn't play to the edgier, mysterious/troubled/bad news look -- he's way too friendly for that. He just likes causing problems on purpose. Despite being an outlaw type, Judas can be very compassionate, and LOVES animals of all kinds (yeah, he'd definitely let wild animals loose if a traveling circus was abusing them), and he's a top tier horseman. He can be played to normal or weird west with very few changes. (Judas is bi or perhaps pan, and nonbinary/bigender himself, and thoroughly enjoys being a pretty, effeminate girl just as much as he likes being a prince of outlaws.)

Kit Chandler is another Wild West character who could bend weird west -- I've just never used him that way. He's a U.S. Marshal born in Tennessee, who went out west after being deputized and joining the marshal service during the civil war (on the north's side, of course). Kit is an optimistic, sweethearted, and generally "paragon" type guy, though that kinda leaves him vulnerable to being manipulated sometimes when he lets his feelings get the better of him. He's clever and despite living out west, isn't about to forget he was raised a gentleman. He likes standing up for the vulnerable. Generally speaking, Kit Chandler's just a classically good guy. (Kit's gay, and very comfortable with that, but he tried to be subtle about it.)

Nate Spurr is a strictly weird western character I haven't gotten to play yet, so he's still very much developing. What I do know is Nate is undead, returned against his will by some person or being he isn't familiar with. He doesn't know why he was brought back beyond to hunt and slay evil in the west, and he doesn't particularly want to be doing it. Nate does what is asked of him because he's a bleeding heart who survives the horrors wrought upon him by indulging in the good in others and the world -- zombies or grotesque half-human abominations are awful, after all, but a hotspring is wonderful. It's the little things that keep him going. He's the sort to carry the world on his shoulders, and he's very emotionally vulnerable and open. (I don't know much about Nate just yet! I'll slate him as pan, potentially, for the time being.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back