Advice/Help Side Characters

How are we defining "side characters" in this conversation? Cause if it's just at the level of "any character that isn't the main characters" then there could never be a real answer to that. It would depend on so many things, and even if you could determine those things it would still end up with 5 different, equally valid answers.

So, for purposes of this discussion, what would you define as a "side character"? Assuming it's not what I mentioned above.

They should be used whenever a scene requires more than just the player characters to be effective. This is especially true in 1x1's. In any sort of RP, though, sometimes you just need a role filled in a certain scene that isn't already covered by any of the player characters. I personally like to flesh out even the side characters, especially the recurring ones. It makes the story and the universe it is set in feel more real.

How are we defining "side characters" in this conversation? Cause if it's just at the level of "any character that isn't the main characters" then there could never be a real answer to that. It would depend on so many things, and even if you could determine those things it would still end up with 5 different, equally valid answers.

So, for purposes of this discussion, what would you define as a "side character"? Assuming it's not what I mentioned above.
Lets say a character that aids the main characters in their quest or somebody that they find that needs help. Maybe the person you helped can give you valuable information about a villain or provide support during a battle.

So you essentially mean NPCs? I think the whole idea behind that kind of character is there is no limit. They exist to move the narrative forward so you have as many as needed to progress the plot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back