• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Setting Summer Dawn

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Gideon paced. He had shown Desrick to his workshop, and gathered enough instruments from the kitchen to allow the orc to do his work.
"I need some time to let the solvent set." It was a mix of different oils and a small portion of beeswax. "Would you stop that?"
Gideon stopped pacing and shot the large orc an uneasy grin.
"I've never gone as far as kidnapping one of Evereach's thugs before. Its...unsettling."
Desrick was sure he did not know just how powerful Evereach was, what they could do to even strong, unified houses if they saw fit.
"With any luck it will be beneficial as well."
"I'm worried about them down there."
Desrick took a heavy breath, "Would you like me to go as well?"
"Yes." and after a pause, "tell me everything."

Desrick reached the room where they were interrogating the prisoner. Gideon had explain briefly who this new man was. Desrick however, did not trust anyone hiding their face.
"He has been vouched for." Desrick made it a bit more clear for Trileon that the one called 'Raven' was a friend, without directly mentioning Gideon.
The man looked slightly frightened, and when Desrick appeared, tall, burly and tusked, candlelight dancing off his muscular frame he paled even further.
Desrick crossed his arms and fixed the thug with a nasty stare, letting the others play his presence as they wished. Desrick would rather frighten the man than hurt him.

~*~*~

The donkey-eared man looked delighted at the attention.
"Why certainly zir! We 'ave everything written down here! It iz our final performance one day from today, at ze twelfth mark." He handed Iolas a small sheet of paper with neat writing, describing the time and place.
"How splendid!" Pyrrhus came up behind Iolas, beaming. "Honour for Love is a work of pure genius. Have you seen it Iolas?"
"To be sure! And zis performance promises to be like no other, this iz because I, Jacquimo, 'ave directed it!"
"You're the director!" Pyrrhus exclaimed. "Truly a pleasure to meet you!"
It was just then that a pair of men came jogging up to the small group.
"We just came from Gideon's estate, he asks that you return immediately. There have been new developments."
Pyrrhus looked at his friends, "That sounds serious. We had better hurry."

The mansion was quiet when they were admitted back through the front gate. Through a window they could see Gideon, still pacing, just outside the cellar door. He seemed very worried.
LazyDaze LazyDaze Flutterby Flutterby

Trileon's expression became absolutely befuddled. He was here to interrogate him, too? That seemed a bit redundant. The slaver had already agreed, and now this man's arrival had put them back at square one. She moved to stand between him and the man in the chair, a set of narrowing eyes flicking across his entire frame. From his feet, up to his mask. Not to size him up, as it was clear she was no threat, but rather because he looked.. kinda weird. No weirder than she, with her blue skin and large horns, but it was giving her the creeps..

When Desrick entered, she leaned to the side to look behind the new man, a small look of relief washing over her. That is, until he revealed that bird-face was actually with them.

"I think you'll find we had things under control," She says politely to Desrick, a delicate frown resting on her lips. But, despite her protest, the orc made it clear he was here to stay.

The slaver looks between all of the faces in the room, giving bird-face-guy a confused, somewhat terrified expression. Just as he opens his mouth to answer him, Trileon slaps a blue hand over it, effectively silencing him. He yelps behind her fingers, cramming his eyes shut as if he were waiting for her to rip out his teeth.

"..Remove your mask, at least."

The_Omega_Effect The_Omega_Effect SilverFlight SilverFlight

Kyros reeled back slightly with a sigh before answering. "No. The mask stays on..." This scenario played out a lot better in his head. He comes in, gets the information and then leaves. Instead, these people were attempting to withhold the information from him which annoyed him slightly. Revealing who he was there, let alone in front of a criminal was something he'd prefer not to do. What worth was the trust of some random travelers? He was tempted to take a more aggressive stance, bringing up how they were responsible for murder and whatnot but that was simply not the appropriate tactic to be employed here. He needed to appear less like an opposing force so he had to backtrack in a sense.

"I understand that trusting me might be difficult for you due to how abrupt my intrusion was. If I were you, I frankly wouldn't trust a creepy guy in a bird costume either. But the information that is to be revealed from that man is our point of interest which is why I wasted no time in getting here and why I don't intend on wasting any more time. I'll be on my way once I have what I need after which point you can do as you wish." Was that enough? Probably not. Working with people was such a pain. On the bright side, the worst case scenario would be them telling him to leave at which point he could simply ask Gideon for the information.

"I don't doubt you did." Desrick told Trileon honestly. "But...our contact seems to trust this man."
He listened to Raven speak and rumbled thoughtfully.
"Not so fast Raven. This information concerns us directly, we will be handling this and you can either help us, or not, but whatever we do, I'm afraid we're doing it together. Besides, the place where the prisoners are being held is likely swarming with people just like this man here. I appreciate that our mutual friend has faith in your abilities, but I can't believe that you can save everyone involved by yourself without heavy casualties. You must understand the need for cooperation in this case."
The eloquence was perhaps a bit unexpected coming from the tusked mouth of the orc, Desrick was surprised to see that Raven didn't even flinch when he had stepped in the room. Orcs were not creatures of Sumenna, but perhaps it really was that dark in the dimly-lit room.
"So," Desrick turned back to the bound man in the chair. "I believe you were about to tell us what we need to know."
mothspit mothspit Yatasal Yatasal Zazz Zazz The_Omega_Effect The_Omega_Effect

It seemed that his attempt to get his way had failed. There had to be complications as always. But he was not one to back down from such complications. He couldn't go and attempt to get a prisoner for interrogation either. As far as the law enforcement were concerned, there was no plot or anything going on and any connection would be ramblings of a mad man. Kyros was already in trouble after torturing the prisoner too much the last time they let him do an interrogation. He could not sit around and do nothing as they were taking care of something that could be devastating for the entire city. The plot was nowhere near confirmed but Gideon's instincts were honed enough for the faith of those on his side.
"Fine. But the mask stays on." He said as he crossed his arms, moving to the side so that the prisoner could be the center of their attention. He briefly eyed the rest of the people there was. His attention was briefly caught by the elf who was holding a knife to the prisoner's throat. She was clearly a rogue type character. He found it a little peculiar how she was accepted by the group in the first place. Assassins, mercenaries, cutthroats and such are usually not welcomed or trusted. There was a lot to learn which translated to a lot of questions that Gideon needed to answer.

Last edited:
The assassin let go of the man's hair, shoving his head forward so roughly the chair skidded just a smidge. "Answer the orc." She itched for blood, but knew they needed answers. It was getting crowded, and she felt more and more uncomfortable and irritable with every entry.

While the others were skeptical of the Raven, Azaria was not surprised to see him. He was, after all, the vigilante of Brynson, running around in broad daylight wearing a bird mask. Sure, he was strange, but she supposed he got things done. From where she stood behind the prisoner, she awarded him with a slight nod in the candlelight.

"So," Desrick turned back to the bound man in the chair. "I believe you were about to tell us what we need to know."
The slaver swallowed hard. This green guy was a lot scarier than the blue girl..

The assassin let go of the man's hair, shoving his head forward so roughly the chair skidded just a smidge. "Answer the orc."
"Ow--!" He grumbled, "A-all right, alright!"

Trileon stepped away from the man in the chair, her arms begrudgingly crossed over her chest. Shuffling over to Jilaina's side, she regards her with no more than a confused shrug and puzzled expression. Maybe it was just the Summerlands, but things were getting weirder by the minute.

The slaver looks around, unsure of where to begin. He mutters a small 'shit,' meeting Desrick's eyes,
"Lassard, okay? I answer to Lassard."

Yatasal Yatasal SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz The_Omega_Effect The_Omega_Effect

"Lassard," Azaria scoffed. "Of course he says the only name we have dropped to him." Her gaze flickered to Quinn. The assassin took a lock of his greasy hair and twisted it around her finger. "May I suggest the truth, you lily licking fruit fly?"

"Lassard," Azaria scoffed. "Of course he says the only name we have dropped to him." Her gaze flickered to Quinn. The assassin took a lock of his greasy hair and twisted it around her finger. "May I suggest the truth, you lily licking fruit fly?"

"Ow!" He yelps, "I'm tellin' you the truth, dammit!" He frantically looks around to all of the five faces staring back at him. What could he say to prove to them he was being honest? "I-i know about the attack on Delan! I know Lassard has the crystal! The gig we got goin' on here was used to make a route for the orcs--"

He stopped mid-sentence, his eyes panning back over to Desrick. Gulp.

"--Uh, t-the Cyndarans kidnapped after the attack, soz the other houses wouldn't know. Lassard's my boss, I'm tellin ya!"

Trileon drank in the information. So they used the same smuggling route for both their own citizens, and the ones kidnapped from Cyndara. The question was, where were they being kept? The beastwoman came back to his side, again smiling with her pointy beast-teeth.

"And once they've finished their journey? Where are you holding them?" She spoke in a comical raspy voice, leaning close in an attempt to instill fear in the man. It seemed to have an effect-- He squirmed in his seat, flinching as if he were anticipating a hit from her.

"T-there's a flour mill! It's been abandoned for years, by the lake docks! T-they're put on the Boon of the Sun-- It's a ship! ..P-please get her away from me.."

Desrick looked surprised. Lassard had obviously had a lot of time to plan the attack on Cyndara. He was very prepared for his new force of orcs. This worried Desrick more than the kidnappings, though it was all devious.
It seemed they were almost done. He was glad they didn't have to press the man too harshly. Desrick stepped toward the chair, put a huge hand on its back and tilted it up toward his face, baring his tusks menacingly.
"You, will give me every detail you have about this mill. How many men guard it, where the prisoners are kept, where things like letters may be stored, where the Boon of the Sun docks, and anything else that might be useful."
((Venus you do not have to write out this info, just say the thug started talking and I'll talk about it in the meeting back upstairs))

mothspit mothspit Yatasal Yatasal Zazz Zazz The_Omega_Effect The_Omega_Effect

~*~*~

Pyrrhus came through the gates with the others, a little confised to find a very grim-faced Gideon greeting them just outside the main doors. He explained what had happened on Trileon's innocent flower-collecting trip.
"And now they're questioning the Snatcher as we speak...in my root cellar."
Pyrrhus listened with a frown, but his attention was more often on Mari, who was sitting in a chair in the study, a mug of tea in her small hands. He could see her troubled expression through the glass.
"Might I be allowed to see the young girl? I'm a healer, I think there is something I can do for her."
Gideon paused and looked up at the centaur. "She's not wounded, your friends were able to keep her safe."
"Not physically no, but I have been working on a form of healing that deals with...more intangible injuries."
Gideon chewed his lip thoughtfully, then nodded.
"Once the others are finished getting information, I'd like everyone in the study. I have a confession to make: I have reached out to a few known allies for help. One of them is down in the cellar now...making friends hopefully." There was a hint of skepticism in his voice.

Gideon summoned a servant to send the news down to the root cellar. Once the man went off he turned back to Ora, Iolas and Pyrrhus.
"Come, there is much we should probably discuss. We need to act as soon as we have the information we need."

Flutterby Flutterby LazyDaze LazyDaze

The_Omega_Effect The_Omega_Effect Goonfire Goonfire (mentioned)

A rather discreet carriage rolled through the city, pulled by four horses. The driver’s wide-brimmed hat and lightweight cloak obscured most of his face and form, except for his beard and hands. Only one character rode in back, their details also shrouded, albeit by a white hooded robe with no markings; the only notable details were a stray lock of golden-blonde hair and red lipstick. The driver rounded corners in the convoluted streets as the passenger sat upright and completely motionless. As they approached the temple of Summrbrynde—located just north of the merchant district—the vehicle slowed. The horses came to a complete halt before the ornate marble structure.

That was when the passenger gently pulled forward to speak with the driver, the voice produced being that of a younger male. “You’re going back to Eskaro as dictated?” he checked, his words clearly pronounced, even in the near-whisper. “Of course. Good luck, Inquisitor Stenmann,” the older driver muttered back before piping up in a more jolly tone. “From Evereach to Brynson? That’ll be ten gold pieces, madam.”

Upon request, the passenger gave ten genuine gold coins and exited the carriage. He had no apparent belongings, aside from the clothes on his back. As the man with the hat drove down the street and around the corner, the white-robed enigma delicately stepped up the temple stairs, holding his gloved hands in front of him to appear feminine. A cleric near the front door took two steps forward and greeted the phony woman: “Hail, miss! Come’st thou to hear a sermon, or to confess a misdeed? No matter the reason for thine visit, this temple is a sanctuary for all lambs of Summrbrynde.” With that, the two entered and took a sharp left from the vestibule to a corridor. They did not utter another word until they reached a first-floor storage room and closed the door behind them.

Immediately, the actor yanked down his hood and sighed as a shoulder-length golden wig slid off his head with it, revealing his true head of pale-blonde hair. “Well, that was quite the trek,” he reflected aloud while wiping the eyeshadow and lipstick from his youthful face and prying off a pair of prosthetic elf ear-tips. “Four days’ travel from Eskaro to here, all the while disguised as a ‘fair maiden’. Hopefully, there is some...” He gestured in a circle with his open hand to indicate he was looking for the right word. “... validity to such a bold claim. Now, did Bishop Stenmann have my possessions couriered over?”

“Of course, sir,” the priest responded before wincing. “I’m afraid to say that your bill-hook was damaged in transit, as it fell from the wagon and hit a poorly-placed rock. We have been trying to mill the broken end of the haft out of the head, but we fear it will be out-of-service until we can re-work the bent tip and sharpen it. In the meantime, we offer you a standard spear as a replacement, Inquisitor.”

“Great start... really. Now just call me Crow, because you know what could happen if we’re being monitored.” Crow glanced over at the door. “Luckily, we’re not. I would’ve heard them coming, most likely. Smart move, adding wooden floors to these hallways.”

The priest produced a backpack containing several hefty items wrapped in linen cloth, and then picked up a framed portrait of the aging and bloated Archbishop Cautura. He pulled the picture from the frame, revealing a small parchment map behind it, and then held it up. With his free hand, he cast a light spell, cupping the ghostly light to focus its rays onto the map. The image was projected onto the wall of the dark room, as a result. Everything on the map was black with sepia-colored text, except for one red point, centered on one house in the merchant district: the mansion of Gideon Huxley. “This is your starting point. The bishop said you’d figure it out from there.” The light intensified until the parchment was scorched, the evidence against House Cautura burned away, leaving only the brass frame and a pile of ashes on the stone tile floor.

With his path set, Crow discarded the disguise and took his blue and gold vestment. He donned it, pulled his scarf out through the collar, and draped it over his shoulders, then finally gathered his tools and weapons to depart.

“Godspeed... Crow,” were the final words from this cleric who remained unnamed to protect his own identity.

Emerging from the paradise of stained-glass windows, Crow descended those same stairs once more. He was a lot more comfortable now that he could see without the hood, plus his face wasn’t heavy with makeup and his scalp wasn’t about to melt from that stuffy wig. His earlobes were still a tad sore from the fake elf ears that he had ripped off, but that would improve over time. However, a heavy aura surrounded the inquisitor as he thought about how long he may be working this case. The longest investigation in recorded history was eleven years, nine months, and three days, while the shortest formal investigation lasted only ten hours. For him, the clock had only started.

It took roughly twenty minutes of brisk walking to reach the gates of Gideon’s house. Crow did not blink as the guards stopped him. “I represent the temple of Summrbrynde,” he declared, raising a seal of House Cautura while keeping his spear upright and to the side. “Mr. Gideon Huxley sent for help arranging some... festivities? I’m sure he sent word of my arrival.” He was subsequently ushered inside, but willingly surrendered his weapon as a gesture of peace and proof of his trustworthiness. He let himself in and strolled through the foyer, his prying eyes noting every piece of furniture and antique in the house, even the mail left on the mantle and any smudges and streaks on the windows. However, he was not being stealthy; the others likely heard his footfalls on the floor. In fact, they might have heard a more syncopated pacing for a second as he checked the soles of his boots to make sure he wouldn’t track dirt across the rugs.

Muffled shouting echoed from the cellar, giving Crow the hint that Gideon had already started following up on possible leads. A few thoughtful expressions crossed his face as he listened for the master of this house to approach; it would be rude to barge in beyond the foyer.

Last edited:
The servant that guided Crow took him into the main hall and turned right, leading him down a short corridor set with oil painting and intricately-carved statues.

Pyrrhus knelt by the large chair in which the young troll girl was sobbing quietly, her face buried in her small hands. Even kneeling the centaur towered over her. He spoke soothingly to her, ignoring the door as it opened and Crow was guided inside.
"I'm so very sorry for making you live it again Marillene, but it is very important you hold those memories in your mind."
He began the spell, but it did not take chanting or words, Pyrrhus instead took up the lute that rested at his side and began to play: The tune was slow and gentle and the magic within it could be felt by any who heard, but the intent was directed at Marillene. Slowly, her sobbing stilled, her face becoming peaceful. She rubbed her eyes and sniffed once.
Just like that, the melody finished and the magic faded, and Marillene seemed to be much better than she had been before.
"Now, if ever those bad memories plague you again, just remember this song, and it will help." She nodded bravely and got up to leave the room. Slipping past Crow with only one brief look of confusion.
Pyrrhus's gaze followed her to the door, where his eyes came to rest upon the stranger. He rose slowly, getting to all four feet. He was still wearing his new attire, a persimon-orange doublet over a red shirt, with bands of orange fabric tied just above each hoof.
"Marillene went through quite a nasty ordeal this afternoon. I undid some of the emotional damage it caused." He wasn't sure why, but Pyrrhus felt the need to explain what he was doing, perhaps it was the pride in developing a healing method no one else had been able to perform.
"Are you a friend of the estate's master? He will be here very shortly. To whom do I have the pleasure of speaking?"

Goonfire Goonfire

((Post while we wait for the others to wrap up the interrogation))

Desrick looked surprised. Lassard had obviously had a lot of time to plan the attack on Cyndara. He was very prepared for his new force of orcs. This worried Desrick more than the kidnappings, though it was all devious.
It seemed they were almost done. He was glad they didn't have to press the man too harshly. Desrick stepped toward the chair, put a huge hand on its back and tilted it up toward his face, baring his tusks menacingly.
"You, will give me every detail you have about this mill. How many men guard it, where the prisoners are kept, where things like letters may be stored, where the Boon of the Sun docks, and anything else that might be useful."

The slaver trembles in the chair, his wide-eyes staring up at the orc in fear. What did they use those tusks for, anyway? Nothing good.

"Y-yeah! Just don't hurt me.."

He begins to tell Desrick all the information he needs. Once he's finished, sniveling and afraid, one of Gideon's servants entered the room to instruct them to head to the study.

Trileon inhales sharply, gladly taking this opportunity to wash her hands of this uncomfortable interrogation. Hopefully his cooperation had earned him his life; If there was a proper authority in this land, she could only hope that he would be handed over to them. But, with Azaria's ever-eager temperament, that was unlikely. Whatever happened next, she didn't want to be apart of. With a small shake of her head, a string of small bones between her horns rattling, she turns to exit the cellar. If Desrick had begun working on the sun cure, now would be a good time to see the fruits of his labor. After making her way up the cellar stairs, letting the door shut behind her, she walks through the kitchen into the main hall. She reaches up to undo the leather ties keeping her hair up in buns, the black hair cascading down to her ankles. Trileon scratches her scalp with a sigh. It was naive to assume things could be settled peacefully. They were talking about liberating kidnapped prisoners-- As if that could be done without harming people. And while she understood taking a life in battle, she had never experienced it herself. Needless to say this was going to be.. difficult.

With a purse of her lips, she heads to the study as instructed. She offers a small knock of the door with her knuckles, opening it after a brief second.

"Gideon, has Desrick crafted a cure? I'd like to--" She stops dead in her tracks at the sight of the newcomer, her head poked around the door. Puzzled, she steps into the room. With little more than a smile she nods to Pyrrhus, looking to the man across from him, "Hello there."

SilverFlight SilverFlight Goonfire Goonfire

mentioned: Zazz Zazz

As Crow followed along, he couldn’t help hearing the soothing song. Something about it calmed him, but it took him a moment to realize there was magic at play, as healing spells were almost unheard-of in his native Eskaro. He peeked in to view its source, only to go wide-eyed at the sight of the instrumentalist. As his eyes wandered about the room, they couldn’t help settling back upon the Centaur. There it was, a Cyndaran in the flesh. Moreover, he seemed peaceful enough; it only served as further proof that a web of unsavory lies had been spun in Sumenna.

The towering centaur stranger was attempting to pass him, so he stepped aside. Upon being questioned, he looked almost straight up, trying to maintain a straight face. “You could say I am; I am Crow, a retainer of Sister Celeste, and I came to offer a sort of, er... religious service from the temple a mile north.” He wasn’t about to reveal his true motives to anyone except Gideon until he was assured of their discretion. Any implication that House Cautura was involved had been burned so far, and he didn’t want to burn more than just paper to cover up the inquisition’s involvement.

The ‘retainer’ grew rigid and alarmed when he heard another voice calling from behind him. Another Cyndaran greeted him as he turned, quite literally. “Oh, hello,” he replied breathily at the horned lady. “You’re not servants, right? I should think not, by your appearances.”

SilverFlight SilverFlight mothspit mothspit

Last edited:
Pyrrhus smiled at the young man as he spoke. Trileon appeared next and the centaur shot her a conspiratorial grin.
"I like this one. He's clever."
Pyrrhus bent slightly at the waist, a mild bow in greeting. "My name is Pyrrhus Elantus, and you guessed correctly, I am not a servant. I am from Cyndara."
Gideon had come up behind Trileon as Pyrrhus spoke, he looked relieved to see Crow.
"At last, the rookery is complete. I'll have tea prepared. There is a little to explain."
"Indeed," Pyrrhus said with a coy tone, "I hope you told Desrick about this 'help' you asked for."
Gideon seemed slightly sheepish. "Not yet."
Pyrrhus's smile only deepened and he turned back into the room, going to kneel by the window and making himself appear much less imposing by the act. He took up his lute and began plucking a few chords.
Gideon addressed Trileon next. "Desrick was just creating the solvent, I don't believe he's combined the ingredients yet, but he could probably tell you more."
"So, Crow." Pyrrhus spoke, looking up from his instrument, "I don't know a lot about the religion in this country, would you enlighten me?"
mothspit mothspit Goonfire Goonfire

“Indeed, it seems much has happened in the week following the delivery of your letter,” Crow agreed, resting one hand on his hip. “I also apologize if you were expecting a larger number of people to be present; my bishop’s practices involve—hm, what would I call it... frugality of manpower, at first.” He tried to explain the double-edged blade of the inquisition’s practices as eloquently as possible without divulging too many clues.

As he sank back into the room to avoid hogging the doorway, he found a seat next to Pyrrhus and crossed his legs. “Well... we worship Summrbrynde, as most know. His worship is generally overseen by House Cautura, which coordinates temple construction and maintenance throughout Sumenna.” He paused for a second to collect his thoughts on the supposed nature of his deity. “Holy texts paint a powerful picture of Summrbrynde. It is by His might and grace that we are led to graze in the Summer King’s sun-soaked pastures. Gold, in its own way, is a symbol of His endless bounty. It can be used with the intent to sustain families, commerce, and the temples, as well as maintain the piece by affording the people weapons for justified battles.”

Crow’s voice lowered from thoughtful to dark in an instant. His gaze grew noticeably colder and more distant. “However, certain wretches wish to abuse His gifts to try and disrupt an already frail balance among men. We believe justice should be served and no punishment should be held back when treachery of the highest order is amiss.” He then realized his ruthless side was showing and quickly cleared his throat as he seemed to become the same man who was exchanging pleasantries a moment ago. Way to paint a dark picture of light-based Sumennan religion, Crow. “I’m sorry to mention such things early-on, but such zealous practices seem relevant and helpful, considering the reason Gideon has gathered us here.”

SilverFlight SilverFlight

Pyrrhus smiled at the young man as he spoke. Trileon appeared next and the centaur shot her a conspiratorial grin.
"I like this one. He's clever."
This one didn't have a terrifying mask, either. Trileon smiled back with a small chuckle, "Thank the Gods."

In response to Crow, she nodded, "Thankfully not. I come from the Noend Forest." She gave a small bow of her head, "Trileon Sionis. A pleasure."

The tall blue figure curled up comfortably on one of the armchairs, her knees pulled to her chest. Her long hair draped over one shoulder and, with her sitting, just barely touched the floor. She appeared to be in thought, her mind swirling with questions formed around the information revealed in the cellar moments before. That, coupled with her small, albeit meek suspicions about Jilaina, there was a lot to take in. She rested her cheek on the top of her knee, her eyes glazing over as she descended deeper into her own mind, and her body absentmindedly swaying to the tune of Pyrrhus' relaxing tune. She didn't look reserved or shy, but rather contemplative. Should she bring up what happened in the cellar? How much did they already know? Regardless, it'd be discussed once everyone arrived.

It was only when Gideon entered and Pyrrhus mentioned the sun cure did she come back to reality, so to speak. Raising her gaze, she listened curiously to Crow go on about his faith. She knew very little about Sumenna, but if there was one thing they had in common, it was the legends of Cyndabrynde and her brother, Summrbrynde. She sat up a bit in her chair, shifting positions so her relaxed posture now faced the conversation,
"You speak very passionately. We Cyndarans-- Some of us, at least-- Feel the same about Her beauty, Cyndabrynde. I'm curious as to how your people see our practice of faith."

SilverFlight SilverFlight Goonfire Goonfire

Last edited:
“The pleasure is mutual,” Crow agreed with a slight bow. In his honest opinion, those he had met so far had better manners than at least half the busy people of Eskaro.

As he discussed the fundamental beliefs of the temples under House Cautura, he was more than interested to hear more about Cyndabrynde. However, a grimace couldn’t help pushing to the surface when he was prompted to speak about his people’s thoughts on Her worshipper’s practices. “I can’t deny, people suffer from a degree of... misinformation, not merely about Cyndaran ritual, but about the people in general.” Clearly, that was a general and obvious statement, so he chose to start broad and narrow the window as he continued. “So many Sumennans claim Cyndarans are barbaric, without actually giving concrete evidence. As a result, rumors of your religion vary, from wild hedonist rituals to human sacrifice.”

While taking a breath, Crow gave a reassuring nod to both Pyrrhus and Trileon. “I might have believed such outlandish fabrications, had I not witnessed a healer cure an injured, unconscious woman. It made me think, and then I began reviewing accounts from more... reliable sources. It brought me to the conclusion that your practices are fairly harmless. Granted, there are always a few bad apples that ruin the bunch, on both sides of the Half-Sun Hills.”

mothspit mothspit
Mentioned: SilverFlight SilverFlight

Ora shot Iolas a small glare, knowing he was teasing her, but it was half-hearted at best. He had softened, in her eyes, through this little adventure. It hadn't escaped her notice that he seemed more reserved over here in Sumenna, leading her to believe he may have reason to do things such as inquire after himself, refuse to be out-right truthful.. if he was on the run from something, she could hardly fault him for it before finding out what it was. In a way, he had begun to remind her of Falsedge, and that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

When they approached the group, Ora stood quietly and let Pyrrhus and Iolas speak. As much as she hated to admit, she hadn't even heard of this work before, let alone seen it. She had been so young when she had lost access to this part of the world, had only just begun starting to rediscover it- being thrust back into caused a blush to spread up her neck.
She did, however, stretch her hand out and receive her own copy of the show times with a smile. One day from today, twelfth mark. She really did hope they could go.. That hope that had begun to bubble quickly popped, as she recognized a group of men from Gideon's estate and they called them back. She gave a terse nod, and hefted her load. Her other errand would have to wait, it seemed. It felt like she had been trust into a mountain river after sitting in the sun all day.
SilverFlight SilverFlight LazyDaze LazyDaze

She didn't say much to Gideon- his serious expression and somber tale made her feel bad for gallivanting through town when there was real work to be done. The dwarf slipped inside behind Pyrrhus, and watched quietly as he worked. As she did, a realization hit her, as the image of Pryyhus walking through Delan playing resurfaced. Had he played for Delan like this, with magic woven in the tune? The surprisingly good spirits, the amount of optimism in the destroyed community.. how much of it had come from that lute? The thought humbled her, and she turned to step out, when her way was blocked by an entering stranger.

At the mention of religion, Ora couldn't hide her scowl. She stayed silent for the moment, moving to retrieve some tea when it was brought up. But she couldn't hold back a dark chuckle, and mutter to herself, "Both sides indeed. One more than other, if you ask me," at his last statement.
The dwarf turned her eyes over to Gideon, and said softly, "I hope you know what you're doing with these 'friends'.. I would hate for a certain elf to find us." The thought of Lassard almost put her off her tea- would he remember her? Would he be more cruel, knowing she was the only one he let wander around that camp? Had she annoyed him enough to deserve special consideration?

Ora tried to chase those thoughts away, but the only thoughts that would replace them, was the fact that most of the party was still down in the cellar. What was the plan with the slaver, after they had their answers? He couldn't be let go, so would he be killed? Were they quickly becoming no better than those they were fighting? Her face paled a bit, but she simply cleared her throat and added to Gideon, "I was able to get more shells before you called us back, so if there's any items you want, now would be the time to ask." With that, she moved away and decided to sit near Trileon.
"Gideon told us about the.. incident- I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy your outing more," It felt like a lame thing to say, but she wanted to offer some kind of comfort.
SilverFlight SilverFlight mothspit mothspit Goonfire Goonfire

This new woman’s actions caused Crow to cast a sideways glance in her direction. She mumbled something, but he couldn’t hear it; to him, any inaudible muttering was quite suspicious. After he finished his dialogue on religion, he also listened as she expressed doubts about the new additions to this team. He couldn’t say she was unreasonably cautious; there is no so such thing as ‘too cautious’.

The only real way to remove uncertainty is to prove oneself, but in the meantime, Crow swiveled to face Ora. “I think a more apt expression is that... you hope we know what we’re doing,” he corrected her promptly, though not aggressively. “A chain is only as strong as the weakest link, and I’ve done some things I’d rather not remember to ensure Evereach did not catch wind of my arrival in Brynson.” He shuddered at the thought of ever slathering on that much makeup again, for as long as he lived.

Flutterby Flutterby SilverFlight SilverFlight

Azaria waited for the rest of the party to leave the room with the prisoner. Slowly, she stepped around to face the slaver, dragging the flat part of her blade along his torso. "I think you will find yourself less useful, now."

-----

The assassin left the cellar with blood on her hand, entering the room after the rest. A servant brought around a large bowl of water and a hand towel on a shivering tray. They left with a bloodstained cloth and coloured water. Azaria looked as nonchalant as an Everreach soldier, her shoulders held with poise and confidence.

"Enough religion. What of the kidnappers? We have our information, the longer it takes to act upon it the less likely we are to succeed. Gideon?"

“I guess it can be considered a skill to have the worse timing possible,” Iolas said straight faced when Gideons servants arrived to pick them up. Strangely enough, it felt as if they were prisoners who were merely allowed to get a few moments of freedom before being reeled back in. Walking outside, with no clear goal in particular actually brought a bit of joy to Iolas. He almost forgot about his eternal fight against rooted ideals not to mention the current situation. Nevertheless he folded his flyer, and gave a nod to the director before leaving. Somewhere deep down, he was still hoping he could see the play.

---------​
When he arrived at Gideon’s estate he looked around the room as he took in Gideon’s tale. “That is indeed an unfortunate situation,” Iolas said softly. Masking his thoughts was probably just a habit at this point because he did feel a bit useless in this situation. He was certain he could have handled the situation swiftly; however, he reasoned that it would have brought too much attention to himself anyway. After going through his thoughts, he caught a glimpse of Pyrrhus. He marveled at Pyrrhus’ healing abilities. He briefly gazed at his arm as it brought back memories to the time Pyrrhus had healed it despite the fact that it was hanging by a thread. Now he was healing what could be perceived as incurable. He was tempted to ask if it would work on himself, but Iolas would rather live with the pain of living; that was who he was. Nevertheless, Pyrrhus was special even if he was unaware of his own potential.

When Ora and one of the new faces had their little exchange Iolas smiled. “The worse that can happen is that they betray us and we are hung by our entrails. It could be worse…such as farming…you see I do not possess the hands for it. I think I was an old maid in my past life.” Iolas once again had a habit of coming to terms with the worst possible scenario by simple saying it out loud. Once he did that, all the pressure seemed to be removed from his shoulders. Unfortunately, everyone didn’t share this way of thinking. Iolas smile dissipated as he turned back to the little girl who was spared, if only a little, thanks to Pyrrhus magic. He was aware many children go through tribulations but seeing it first hand lit a fire in the normally cold Iolas. He turned to Azaria and took in the “effects” she came with. Whatever they were going to do with the information…he wanted in. Changing his expression completely, he then turned to Trileon. “We went shopping,” he said with the jubilance of a preppy school girl; it just seemed...wrong. It might have been seen as tactless, but this was his way of making everyone feel better. If they could shift the focus on something other than the dark events that happened earlier, then it would be for the best, even if the focus was on how annoying Iolas could be.

mothspit mothspit SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby Goonfire Goonfire

"Actually, its best if this operation be kept to as few as possible, and the harder they are to track the better. This is why I'm enlisting the help of our, rather exotic friends. Nobody knows them, not who they are nor where they come from. They aren't involved." Gideon replied.

Pyrrhus listened intently to Crow as he spoke, raising an eyebrow when he became impassioned. "How interesting." He said afterward, in a tone that hinted his interest was more in Crow's reaction rather than the information.
"'human sacrifice?' Goddess, what do they teach in this country?" Pyrrhus almost laughed at the notion.
Goonfire Goonfire

At that point Ora and Iolas came into the room too. Ora voiced her displeasure at the new additions to their team but Gideon only chuckled.
"Honestly Ora, I am taking more of a risk with your 'friends'. Raven and Crow at least are trustworthy on a first account, besides, you'll need teammates who know the city and the people. We must maximize our chances of success."
When she produced the shells for him he smiled. "You remembered! Marvelous. I'll have Mari write up a list and fetch payment."
Flutterby Flutterby

Pyrrhus looked up at the ceiling as Iolas added his piece, as if searching for strength in the plaster over their heads. "Ever the optimist Iolas. Its hard to imagine life without your sunny outlook now."
LazyDaze LazyDaze

Azaria was the one that brought them back around to the task at hand.
"Yes of course." Gideon said before taking the center of the room.
"I've explained briefly the situation we are facing here in Brynson. The minor houses are suffering a rash of kidnappings, mostly servants and slaves. I believe its a bully tactic run by Evereach to twist arms and gain support for their invasion plans into Cyndara. But so far, I haven't been able to get proof. About a week ago, as was announced officially, there was a scouting party sent into Cyndara." Gideon gestured to Ora. "Lady Oralia was part of that party, and she uncovered some very troubling things."
He nodded to Desrick who had also come in by that point and was leaning with his shoulder against a wall.
"The scouting party was a sacrificial lamb. They knowingly sent them into orc territory, with full hope that my people would slay them, giving Evereach a reason to invade Cyndara."
"Fortunately that didn't happen." Gideon added. "But we now know that Evereach had sent secret forces into Cyndara, they were looking for something."
"Evereach did manage to steal something very special from a Cyndaran city," Desrick continued, "A crystal, radiating pure light. We don't know what they took it for, but it must tie into their plans somehow."
"So, that is the state Cyndara has in this particular mission. We both have much to lose if Evereach gets their war. Now, let's find out what our friend was able to tell us."
Desrick nodded and repeated what the man had told them: "There is a flour mill in the port district, by the shipyards. The kidnapped people were taken there. It is guarded at all times by ten fighters, allegedly all working for the same man. The prisoners are kept in an underground storage room, while any record of what they are doing could likely be found in the offices on the second floor. As soon as it docks the people are loaded onto a ship called the Boon of the Sun, which takes them across the lake and to a caravan road...what's worrying is, this route was apparently being prepped to move the orcs Evereach have 'recruited' into their services. If they're moving my people into your country...they are planning something violent. You can be sure of that."

"One problem at a time," Gideon said, "First we need a way to get into that mill, rescue the prisoners and get the papers condemning Evereach as the instigator of the entire operation. That should be enough to destroy their support in Brynson. So...any ideas?"
Flutterby Flutterby LazyDaze LazyDaze Zazz Zazz mothspit mothspit Yatasal Yatasal The_Omega_Effect The_Omega_Effect Goonfire Goonfire

"Once we are inside, the Raven and I can surely take out the guards. It is getting in and out unnoticed that should prove less simple," said Azaria.

It was then that Lohr, who had been quietly sipping on cool tea, relatively unnoticed on a comfortable chair, spoke up. "Forgive me, but how will we do anything without some sort of protection from the... the sun, is it?" He looked to Desrick. "I am afraid that without it, I am useless in this land."

Kyros took note of the information that the prisoner they had captive told the Orc, with him following the others in leaving the room. He gave the elf one more look before exiting and heading upstairs. They were on Gideon's property after all. And Gideon was not the type of person who'd allow someone to be executed like that. Once upstairs, he took note of everybody that was involved in this operation of theirs. He was not aware of what they all were capable of, with him only having to play off guesses. An introduction of sorts would help but he'd have to ask for it later. While thinking of a plan, his attention turned to the dark elf who brought up how they needed cover from the sun in order to operate effectively. Kyros himself disliked the sun as well, although it was more about comfort as the sunlight wouldn't render him obsolete. "For those of you that require protection from the sun, you could simply utilize a suit of sorts that covers all of your skin...like the one I'm wearing."

He then thought for a bit before trying to come up with a plan of sorts. "As for the flour mill, an attack from the outside would be much easier to pull off with the force we have at our disposal. However, an infiltration like that would instantly lead to all of our next plans being more difficult as whoever is in charge of all this will be aware of us trying to meddle in their plans. But an attack from the inside would be taken less seriously...We could get some of our people in under the guise of them being servants or slaves being kidnapped. Then, once they are with the prisoners, we could free everybody from the inside. The prisoners will most likely all attempt to run away in order to free themselves. Within all of this chaos, we have enough time to grab whatever document we need without the guards standing in our way as they will be preoccupied. No casualties, it will seem that some of the servants simply robbed their offices and those in charge will blame the incompetence of the guards."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back