• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Setting Summer Dawn - Firelight tales

S
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete

A world where sun and moon stand still. Two halves of a whole, two peoples that are different as night and day. The ambitions of one threaten to destroy everything.
Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

SilverFlight

Tende altum, volare altius
Supporter
Firelight Tales

sunset forest.jpg

This is a thread detailing the interactions between characters on the side of the main story. It will include collabs, short interaction back and forth, and a whole lot of fun.
The rules of this page are as follows:
Every post must have the location and the characters involved written at the top. You may want to personalize the posts with a specific colour or a picture at the top as well.
Please don't forget these identifiers should be on every post, in case there is more than one side interaction going on at the same time.
Posts with mature themes/content (which WILL be within the parameters of the RpN site rules) must be tagged with a warning

Last edited:
1541356196851.png

Time: Just after the meeting that took them to the Half-Sun Hills.
Interaction: Desrick and Lohrithe

Desrick watched Cyndarans and Sumennans alike file out of his house, marveling at the sight. He never would have thought that in all his days as a diplomat and a peacekeeper, that he would ever get the chance to view such a collection of people, but there was one upon whom his attention inevitably landed:
Before Lohrithe could turn to go Desrick reached out, brushing his arm with the gentlest touch.
"I uh...I want to speak with you." He stammered, mouth suddenly dry. "I need to speak with you."
The last time he had exchanged more than a handful of words with the drow, he had left him standing on a hill, supporting an injured naga, walking away as the kiss still burned on his cheek. That is how he had left things. He knew it couldn't stay like that, but the prospect of what was coming made him suddenly want to run. Too late for that now.
Desrick waited for Lohr to turn to him.
Zazz Zazz

((So Zazz, like the rules state, just copy paste the bit have up top there into your post when you reply.))

Last edited:
1541356196851.png

A trail of butterflies flew from where Desrick touched his arm to the drow's stomach. Lohrithe tucked his long hair behind his ear and turned to face the orc. His face held a soft dmile, though he was visibly anxious; he looked up at Desrick - glad he was tall - and chewed on his lip. "Yes, Desrick?"

Last edited by a moderator:
1541356196851.png

Desrick's confidence began to waiver as the last of the group left, and he was standing with Lohrithe alone. He took a breath and met Lohr's eyes.
"I know I don't need to ask you to come on this journey. I know you would do it anyway, but I wanted to ask, not for the sake of our mission, or for the others...I need to ask for myself."
Desrick could feel his heart racing, it was terrible and exhilarating both at once. It had to be loud enough to hear. He reached out and with a gentle hand gathered a lock of Lohr's hair, running the smooth strands between his fingers, a tender gesture that he hoped would say what he couldn't voice. He closed the distance between them in one, slow step.
"I want you with me."
Zazz Zazz

1541356196851.png

Lohrithe listened to every word, watching every ounce of discomfort on that handsome green visage. He found himself staring at the tusks - small for an orc - that protruded from behind Desrick's lower lip. He had always found them attractive, somehow a reminder of the man's strength and honour. He didn't mind that Desrick wasn't like most orcs. He was perfect just the way he was.

The drow's eyes closed as Desrick's hand toyed with his hair, and his chest rose as his breath caught in his throat at the orc's closeness. He wanted Lohrithe with him? In what way, exactly? The way he was acting, it seemed to the drow that his feelings were, in fact, being reciprocated in kind.

Lohrithe lifted his head and opened his midnight-and-green eyes. Gentle as fairydust, his hand slid up from Desrick's waist to his chest, resting over his racing heart. Slowly, his smile grew, and he kissed the orc's great, green chest. "Of course I will follow you," he murmured.

Last edited by a moderator:
1541356196851.png

Desrick's skin lit up wherever Lohr touched him, a warm sensation that he never wanted to stop. He wrapped his arms about the drow, pulling him close as he let out the breath he'd been holding. Gently Desrick pressed his lips to the top of Lohr's head. He had always meant so much, and now, Desrick finally felt he could show it.
"To the ends of the earth then...together."
Zazz Zazz

1541916183025.png
Interaction: Iolas, Pyrrhus, Azaria

"Well that was an unexpected turn of events," Iolas said, almost mockingly, since he was not all that surprised in all honesty.

Once he discovered that they were heading to Sumenna, he immediately thought about the possibility of being asked about customs and norms, but he never thought he would be teaching master-slave interactions. He peered at the sky through the non-man-eating trees and looked back at the luminescent rocks and moss in the area. It truly was beautiful. He chose this place because he did not necessarily feel comfortable playing the role of slave master in the middle of a non slave city. He already looked plenty suspicious and did not need the help. It might have been against his better judgement, but he also invited Azaria. (When did he ever follow his better judgement?)To the outside it would look like he self appointed himself a body guard...and he did. However, several things went behind this decision. First, beating her to the punch was a petty move, but not one he was not proud of. Second, Azaria seemed to take this situation pretty hard, even though she did not really spill out her emotions during their meeting. In a weird way, Iolas believed this would help her work through and accept it. Next, should something happen to Iolas, it would be good if someone else knew the script of the play. He did not particularly trust anyone else to be able to handle this outside of himself, but if there was no other choice, Azaria would be the closest second. After all, she did suggest this herself. Lastly, Iolas was aware of his time away from large Sumennan cities. If there was something Iolas was not current on, she could easily correct him. She was turning out to be quite useful already. However, Iolas was actually certain she would only show up to take the chance to gauge his eyes out.
"I wonder, what shall we go over first? How do I teach someone how to not be free?"

Zazz Zazz SilverFlight SilverFlight

Azaria was... almost relieved not to have to play the role of master, especially to one such soul as Pyrrhus. However, her trust was most certainly not in favour of this conveniently present high elf, and was more than willing to attend their training session. She had seen, first-hand, what being an owner was like. It was her mother's name on the cuffs, after all. Azaria nearly smiled at the memory of her mother's... ill mood, when she found that her slave did not answer her call, but the expression was quelled just as quickly at the thought of what had happened to the newly freed centaur.

The halfling followed behind Iolas, watching him with her friend. She hated that this was their only safe option, but she would keep her calm.

"Perhaps start with how to walk in public. A slave must never pass their master, unless under instruction, and when addressing one's master, eye contact is generally frowned upon." And could result in a beating. But she was not about to say that out loud.

Firelight tag pic 2.png

Pyrrhus followed the two in uncharacteristic silence, trying to piece together a complete picture of how he felt from the tiny strings of emotion floating in between his thoughts. Though he was big he moved nearly without a sound, stepping carefully through the underbrush; the smooth and careful purpose of a panther rather than the clumsy plodding of a horse. The fact that Iolas had grown up in a house that kept people like livestock appalled him and for now he didn't think of the possibility that the elf might have been repulsed by it too.
Iolas spoke and Pyrrhus crossed his arms as he looked down at him. "How indeed," his tone was cold enough to surprise even him, "Surely you remember your own slaves? Or were they not worthy of marking. Did you even know their names I wonder?"

He took in what Azaria said, a hand going up to stroke his short beard thoughtfully. "I suppose, if one is treated as if they are worth less than the one who keeps them...that is how they end up seeing themselves. Worthless."
He paced the length of the clearing and back. "Yes, I suppose I do know that feeling..." it was barely above a whisper, more a musing to himself than a statement to the others, though it may have been audible to them nonetheless.
He had worked hard to stifle the failings in his past, and the emotions that came with them, but now it looked as if he would have to open those floodgates if he was to make this act believable.
Pyrrhus began to summon memories of his home, of his mother--the leader of their tribe--and all the hopes she had placed upon him.
"I was..." he began in a shaky voice, "supposed to be a chief. A great leader, giving all my life and my love to my people." He smiled sadly as the pain bubbled up from where he had hidden it, deep in the back of his heart.
"If my mother would have her way, I would be a chief, I would have claimed a wife...and I would have an heir of my own."
He met Azaria's eyes with that sad smile, as if sharing a joke with her. "But I am certainly no chief, and as for an heir...well, I do not think I am very capable of that either...So!"
He broke the sullen feeling he had painted with that last word, emphasized by a clap of his hands. His tone shifted to something that held purpose with none of the pain. "That feeling of little worth is something that has kept good company with me in the past. I will use that."

Why was he telling them all this? Perhaps it was because speaking it gave the feeling more power, or perhaps it was because he trusted both of them, in different ways. Azaria would not judge him and Iolas? Pyrrhus thought back to one of the first things he had revealed about himself: 'Injuries of the heart' he had said. Why had he shared that? Despite his origin and his haughty airs the centaur still sensed something underneath, though just what, remained shielded from him for now.

Pyrrhus changed his posture and his stance, he cast his eyes down and curved his back just so, to make himself appear vulnerable, as if he had been robbed his all his own power. The only break in character came when he looked up at the two of them to see if they had been convinced.
LazyDaze LazyDaze Zazz Zazz

1542388122644.png

Iolas remained silent for a bit when Pyrrhus all but accused him of being a slave owner, and perhaps even enjoying it. Iolas was not naïve; he knew that he was no saint. It was not a question of whether he did or did not enjoy slavery, he never had time to indulge in that part of Sumennan culture. Because of his position, and his natural observant nature, he was often around powerful people who owned slaves. He never thought anything of it, much like one does not pay too much attention to table top. They were simply a decoration in the room for all Iolas cared. He could feel the tension, and the assumptions that were being made about him. After taking a calculated pause he decided to share a small percentage of his past, since it was only Pyrrhus and Azaria present. “Pyrrhus, I had my first kill at the age of 6. By the time I was 7, my kill count had already exceeded my age,” he paused again to take a look at Azaria and Pyrrhus. At this point he was speaking to both. “I was born a solider, not a noble. I do not remember their names, but I can recall their faces at anytime. It is unfortunate, but I have been cursed with a good memory.” It was a round about way of answering Pyrrhus, but he had hoped he understood where Iolas stood.

Iolas was a machine. In fact, it could be argued that he was more of a slave than any Cyndaran. When Everreach gave an order, he complied without question, or remorse. He was perfect, and now he detested that perfection with his entire being. Iolas smile faded as he listened to Pyrrhus’s backstory. He was surprised that he would share this with him. His thoughts and feelings, all things he perhaps could have guessed or considered but still surprising to hear first hand. Mimicking Pyrrhus optimistic turnaround, something that Iolas often practiced, he looked at Azaria and then clapped his hands in an overly gratuitous manner. “Azaria made a good point, but I believe she forgot an important detail,” Iolas said picking up on the words she did not want to utter. If they were going to do this, then they would have to be all in. Cutting corners for emotional relief would not do them any good at this point. However, Iolas’s lack of proper communication skills lead him to assume they would all understand this. “If you break the aforementioned rules of slave etiquette punishment will be required. Usually it is physical in nature. Those in the trade will notice such things easily. Slave handing to them is as natural as playing a lute. Nevertheless, unless we are under sever scrutiny, we could always fake the physicality. You seem large enough for them to believe you would suffer little damage from any of my strikes.” Iolas moved away from Pyrrhus and continued to shift his glances toward. “Ah would you mind taking my place. I would like to observe a brief walkthrough.” Iolas really did want to view how this might look to a person on the outside, but he also wanted Azaria to experience a fraction of what she might have had to go through if she was the “handler” instead of him. “Could you just walk around for a few seconds, I believe this would be the most important part.”

SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz

Last edited:
1542388122644-png.504312

One, the heir to his tribe, and the other, the golden boy soldier. Azaria listened to their stories quietly, arms crossed, sharp green eyes on Iolas. "What a luxury," she commented, "to have a reason to kill beyond desire." She remembered her first kill, at age seven, clear as day. The blood that spilled beneath her teeth, and the scar on her face that followed. To this day, she honoured her father by carrying his twin daggers, their hilts black as his eyes had been, a gem for each nation: red for the summerlands, blue for the mystlands. Sure, she hadn't nearly as many kills as the older elf, but she had enjoyed draining the life out of each one.

The halfling let her arms down and stepped forward. Keeping her composure, she whistled at Pyrrhus to follow as she meandered about.

Firelight tag pic 2.png

Pyrrhus listened with stunned horror as Iolas laid out the facts of his upbringing. He could not fathom the depths of depravity a society had to fall to so that it could force a child to kill. "Goddess...what sort of world are we walking into?"
But Iolas continued, offering instruction as if he hadn't just admitted to being a murderer at 6. Pyrrhus listened but only with half his attention, the rest of it was lagging on the words spoken before.

"Surely there is variation on how people treat slaves." Pyrrhus mumbled halfheartedly, stubbornly refusing to believe that everyone in Sumenna would engage in or expect such cruelty.
When Azaria whistled for him like she would a pet Pyrrhus followed, not needing to act the sullen mood he found himself in. He kept his head bowed and his hands clasped, not looking up at anyone or anything.

"Iolas." Pyrrhus stopped after walking behind Azaria for a few moments, "If you were born to a life already determined...why are you here now? Why really?"
There was no pretense about the question, no joke, no flirtatious glance. The centaur was asking in earnest, hoping for an earnest answer.
What the elf told him, would shape his opinion of him.
Zazz Zazz LazyDaze LazyDaze

Three and a Half Days Ago

The whooshing sound of a shadowed fire flew past her ears nearly causing Rossarinya to fall from Cerys. The pathway out of Cyndara was gruesome without a native to help guide her. Desrick. Lohrithe. A small part of her tinged in guilt but also fear if she couldn't make her way back home safely. She promised them.

Thankfully her hood covered her as much as it could, not wanting to reveal her identity as the race dragged on from behind her. With her kin invading Cyndara, it didn’t come as a surprise to her that other Cyndarans would be on alert, taking any suspicious person - herself - as prisoner. She will be damned if she was caught again - Summenan or Cyndaran.

Rossarinya could feel the air shift when she neared a bridge remembering the foggy mist. Her grip on Cerys’ fur tightened as she held onto him carefully. Many thoughts flurred through her head as she closed her eyes, urging her friend quietly, “Noro lim, Mellon. Show me your speed.”

Don't let them snuff the light out.

The emptiness you feel will no longer stay until you learn to take a leap of faith and to have courage. Do not let fear make you falter in your quest to seek the truth. But, be warned, the truth is not always what you believe.

The discomfort in her chest slowly unravelled as Cerys managed to get them out of the mist as the feeling of a heavy burden lifted off both of them. A sigh of relief escaped Rossarinya’s lip as she opened her eyes recognising the next part of the darkened woods she and her previous companions had been attacked. Time escaped her mind as she couldn’t believe it had only been a few days or less that she had been in Cyndara.

The wound on her thigh was healed nicely though she noticed the pigment of her skin still discoloured from the brief encounter. She could feel and see that they were close to the borders of Half Sun Hill.

“Little blue birds sway in the wind."
Two Days Ago

"- Thel!?" A low voice gasped through the trees as the soft sound of hooves approached the tired elleth as she struggled to stay atop Cerys.

"Muindor." Her weakened, tired voice slipped through her lips as she wearily smiled.

In a blink of an eye, Andaer was able to take a hold of his little sister before she fell over. Surprise encompassed his soul as his hand shook slightly, gripping Rossarinya. His guarded eyes looked at the beast, recognising him as the same animal that their mother forbade to approach them. A small nod was given to Cerys as Cerys could only stare at the male elf, distrusting.

Shivering slightly in the warm embrace of her brother, Rossarinya sighed in relief as her eyes took in the beauty of the glimmery gold twinkling in the trees. The sun setting over the horizon was a familiar yet distant sight as she felt the softened light rays of the sun dance upon her skin. It felt like forever since she felt the ray’s light.

“Brother -”

“We thought you were dead. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.” A hardened stare glared down at Rossarinya as Andaer slowly moved the she-Elf away from him to get a better look.

A shudder escaped her postures as she gazed into her brother’s cold stare, “Wh- . . .wh- ? No, Andaer! I am not, I am not. Please.” Rossarinya whispered in slight desperation, hesitantly reaching towards him only to retract her hand back towards her chest in confusion. She exhaled deeply before letting out, “Do you remember. . . the first time you taught me how to wield a bow?”

Silence filled the air.

“I had been so excited, I nearly caused you to never wield again. The scar . . on your wrist.” At those words, Rossarinya closed her eyes, remembering the moments of her childish actions.

Another moment passed.

Without a word of warning, Rossarinya was pulled into another embrace as she felt the silent sighs and choked sobs from her brother. Her heart ached. “Rossa. Eru.” Was all he uttered before Rossarinya leaned back only to smile softly, reassuring him that she was real.

“Andaer, there are pressing matters. Who told you that I have gone? It’s Las- Lassard. We - no. He is not in his right head. We sent no word of reason to attack the Cyd - ”

Taken aback, Andaer shook his head, narrowing his eyes. “What?” But before Rossarinya could say anymore, Andaer whispered, “Not here, come. We head to Brynson.”
One Day Ago

"Muindor," Rossarinya started, "Could you pick any brighter clothing or large weapon to have?" She furrowed her brows, though her face and bow was hidden beneath her hood as they walked through the less crowded streets of Brynson.

Andaer wanted to take the route that wouldn't draw too much attention but, with her brother's alluring silhouette, it was only natural for such a High Elf as He to be taken notice despite his lowly attire.

A low chuckle could be heard and Rossarinya could only sigh inwardly. "Do I hear someone fussing? Or do I detect a hint of jealousy?"

Resisting the urge to elbow him in his chest, Rossarinya could only roll her eyes but continued her pace as they moved further away from perceiving eyes and the outskirts of the city.
Present Time

The light inside her chest hummed, radianting through her frame. Her eyes slowly opened as she felt the sun against her pale skin. Her windows were wide open, letting the light rays inside the room she was staying in. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she looked up in the sky, soaking in the warmth. She felt herself feel lighter, less burdened for the moment. But, at the corner of her eyes, a shimmer reflected in the mirror. Furrowing her brows, Rossarinya turned to the source before her eyes wandered towards the jewels in her hair.

With a light tug, she pulled down the ornament as one of the emerald was missing from the collection. A sad smile appeared in her lips as she held the jewel close to her chest. She never prayed, nor did she feel comfortable enough to think of the Goddess from Cyndara or even the priest in Summena. However, she whispered slightly through the jewel, hoping, wishing, her Cyndara friends were safe. What were they doing? Had they been able to defend their lands? Was Lassard successful?

An unsettling feeling rippled in her chest and the pit of her stomach as she remembered her brother's words. He was called away and left in the wee morning. Although Andaer seemed confused by her change of behavior and somewhat stance, he never judged her or told her to keep her silence. However, how were they going to tell their parents of her status of being alive? Her eyes wandered towards the paper on her desk before looking at the bird cage next to the mirror.

A coo escaped from the pigeon before Rossarinya responded with her own. Without further ado, Rossarinya whispered softly into the jewel, "Please be okay." Placing the ornament on the desk, Rossarinya took the letter in her hand and carefully rolled up the message, adding a small sewn pouch as evidence of her status. Soon, the Elleth made her way to the bird-cage, opening the gates as she patiently waited for the pigeon to land on pointer finger. Once the pigeon flew on her finger, Rossarinya smiled before carefully attaching the message to his claws, not wanting to hurt the bird but to fasten the message tightly to not get lost. As she finished, Rossarinya walked towards the window and whispered once more, "Fly, little one. Head to House Bellethiel and show Adar this message."

At that, Rossarinya watched ahead as the pigeon took flight, her heart weighing heavy against her chest as she took a deep breath, hoping her decision was right.

Note: Sindarian has been used in this text, all translation goes to Tolkien.
Muindor: Dear Brother
Thel: Sister
Adar: Father
Noro lim, Mellon: Make haste, Friend

Note: Click on Rossarinya's image and Hidden Scrolls || Interactions: Andaer, Eldest Brother; Cerys, Wolf Companion
Location: Cyndara - Half Sun Hills - Brynson || Time: A flashback from the moment Rossarinya left Cyndara to head to Summena to Present Day
Mentions: SilverFlight SilverFlight , Zazz Zazz , Mythee Mythee , Flutterby Flutterby

Last edited:
1542649385906.png

Iolas was not totally ignoring the visibly flustered Pyrrhus, and was actually pretty grateful to Azaria for acting so quickly. He watched them stumble about, relieved that he would be busy with Azaria for the next few minutes instead of the mutual wound licking that was going to take place. With any luck, Pyrrhus would just be pushed along with the task at hand and Iolas would not have to deal with any troublesome questions. However, as it turned out, Iolas had no luck, and curiosity was currently murdering the cat, or centaur. When Pyrrhus finally stopped and attacked Iolas head on, Iolas winced and sat silent for what felt like hours. Pointless, What would the benefits of sharing sensitive information with a complete stranger bring? Even if one shared such information with a loved one, it would probably not yield any fruitful results. Uneccesary, there was a task at hand, and answering his questions held little weight to the matter at hand. Useless, whether they know why Iolas was fighting did not take away from the fact that he was fighting. He could simply pacify his curiosity with a lie, or avoid it all together. Iolas looked at Pyrrhus; he saw his desperation, his own confusion, and his want to understand. Iolas sighed as he ran his hand through his hair and took off his hood. He would rather not saunter down the streets of his memories, but he went along the path, unwillingly. He searched out the good, plucked the bad, and gazed at everything in between before responding to Pyrrhus as he looked up toward the stars.

"Could you murder an infant?"

Iolas would let the question sink in for a moment. It was more of a thought provoking question since he could more or less tell what kind of centaur Pyrrhus was. "I believe there are many people out their who are infants. People who do not know any better, unless they are giving the opportunity to challenge the environment that raised them."

Iolas slowly unsheathed his sword and looked at it. It shimmered and dazzeled under the moonlight, but all Iolas could see was a dark red. "Someone important to me showed me a different way, and to show my thanks I killed him. It was only when I realized he had left this world that I understood how wrong I was." Iolas sheathed his sword once more and then looked at Pyrrhus once again, this time without a smile. "To answer your question, this world does not need another Iolas." Iolas's smile returned as he waited, unsure of what he was waiting for.

Firelight tag pic 2.png

Pyrrhus listened carefully, hanging onto every word Iolas spoke. When he had finished the judgement that Pyrrhus had in his eyes when they had begun lessened a little.
"You want to change the part of your world that caused the death of someone you cared for." He said softly. "That is...very noble of you."
He didn't press further, not needing his empathic skills to realize that the memory caused pain. His expression was softer after that.
"I..feel I should apologize for my callous comment earlier. You are...not quite what you appear to be."

The centaur's mind drifted back to the cuffs, and in light of what had just transpired he had an idea.
"You must let me examine those cuffs when we have a moment spare. I'd like to investigate the spells on them. The ones set to control their wearer. How is it done precesiely? Does it target thought? Or Emotions? Both?"

LazyDaze LazyDaze Zazz Zazz

firelight-tag-pic-2-png.505991

At Pyrrhus's question, Azaria spoke up. "I am no spellcaster, but it was once described to me as one's body fighting itself on the inside. To follow one's orders provides relief, if only a sick sort of selfish pause from the fight." The elf frowned, her hands clasped behind her back. "It is your will it seeks, and all beyond that is failure." Azaria raised her gaze to the centaur, eyes sad and apologetic. She had seen the previous wearer suffer, his face growing ever more desperate each day, ever more hopeless. She had no desire to see Pyrrhus go through the same, and she hoped, for Iolas's sake, that the elven man would not misstep. For if he did, she truly would scrape his eyes out and shovw them... places.

(is this the right bloody colour)

Time: the day before the masquerade ball
Interaction: Crow, Pyrrhus, possibly Pearl

The preparations were nearing completion. The costumes, mere minutes away from perfection. Crow had never been given the luxury to design his own clothing before, but this opportunity showed he did have some wry sense of humor, at least regarding his name.

As he watched the tailors work at their maximum efficiency, he occasionally glanced up to Pyrrhus to give a nod of approval at their work. His narrow fingers clenched a jar of golden body paint and a brush. “I absolutely must try these on immediately,” he mused. “I trust the measurements are accurate, but... perhaps a dress rehearsal should be in order, along with... er, a first look at that dance?” Indeed, he was eager to try, motivated by the kind words a couple days ago.

SilverFlight SilverFlight

Pyrrhus stood by him, surveying the work with a careful eye. Crow had made no secret of his excitement, and Pyrrhus wanted it to be perfect for him.
"Oh you absolutely must." The centaur agreed, "The measurements are most assuredly accurate, I checked them myself. The dance...well, given the er, status of centaurs in this community, should probably not be performed at the ball, this was more, for my own amusement, and yours too I hope. How are you with the bo staff?"
He noted the pot of gold paint and a mischievous light came into his eye. "Tell me what you're going to do with that?"
Goonfire Goonfire

((I could not for the life of me find what colour you used))

A bo staff? Things were getting quite interesting. Crow rubbed the nape of his neck, recalling the martial combat courses he took in school. “I would call myself... ‘proficient’,” he retorted dubiously before admitting, “Staves and polearms are what I know best, among standard weapons.”

He froze for a moment, glancing down at the jar. “Oh, this? I planned to use just a bit on myself, both today and tomorrow.” He couldn’t bring himself to tell anyone about the markings yet, even though this group was composed of such free spirits. “I... figured a bit of scrollwork beneath the shirt would add an interesting sense of depth.”

It appeared the seamsters had finished the masterful embroidery. His costume was ready, so they placed it on a rack so he could take it at-will.

(#B365FF.)

"Good," Pyrrhus mused, "that's very good."
When Crow's attention was put back on the jar and he explained a little of what it was for Pyrrhus' eyes lit up with interest.
"Oh! That's a fantastic idea! Do you have the pattern yet?"
One could see the wheels in the centaur's head turning rapidly and as usual, he did not try to conceal his enthusiasm.
Goonfire Goonfire

“You could say I do,” Crow answered. “I suppose it... came to me naturally.” He couldn’t help giving a faint, wry chuckle under his breath as he looked away; for the most part, he would simply trace the markings on his own body.

Crow glanced back up at the centaur, raising an eyebrow. “I can almost see your mind hard at work. What is it?” The words were gentle, not forceful by any means. Moments like this were excellent for observing the investigator outside his usual hostile environment. He was... at peace.

Pyrrhus thought for another short moment, the knuckles of one hand resting under his chin. Just then one of the attendants brought something fresh off one of the tables. It was the garment Pyrrhus was to wear, cream with gold embroidery, the sleeves of the jacket made of a thin, transparent fabric with looping gold patterns trailing down them. The centaur considered the beautiful thing with barely contained joy.
"Would you let me have the same?" Pyrrhus gestured to his flank. "The gold markings. I mean, I could match you."
He wandered over to a work bench and browsed a pot of small tools, picking out a slender brush.
"But it would be difficult indeed for you to put the paint on yourself." He held up the brush with a smile. "Allow me."

Goonfire Goonfire

Crow’s breath hitched immediately as he stifled a worried gasp. He was caught in this strange state in which his face wanted to turn beet-red and pale at the same time. It was becoming clear to him; there was no way he could reach the markings on his back. His heart sank, and he fought to open his mouth at first. “Pyrrhus... I...” He swallowed heavily in preparation to tell him a secret. He found it difficult to make eye contact, as he felt more and more deceitful the longer he danced around the issue.

“I beg of you... keep what you’re about to see a secret,” Crow muttered nervously before squinching his eyes shut. There was no turning back now; he removed his shirt in one fluid motion, not allowing himself time to second-guess any further. There they were, the delicate markings like scrollwork, faintly glowing purple as they stretched and swirled atop his shoulders, collarbone, and wrists. The markings of a dark fey, notorious for dancing amidst only the shadiest groves of Cyndara, and for their herbal savvy.

“I... I was going to start by tracing these,” the lithe hybrid sheepishly confessed while glancing over his left shoulder. “You’re right, though; I can’t reach them and paint over them with any accuracy.”

The expression on Crow's face had not been what Pyrrhus was expecting. He had expected some blushing, perhaps a bit of an embarrassed stammer, but not...fear. He wondered if he'd gone too far this time, but:
A secret?
All playful frivolity in the centaur's expression was gone. He nodded seriously, and to prove he was in earnest, he gestured to the tailors. "Out, please."
Pyrrhus had worked with them for days and Gideon had given him charge over the room. They went without question.
He watched carefully as Crow slid the fabric off his back and saw the markings that had been hidden.
He was surprised certainly, but if Crow was dreading judgement, that would not come. Instead Pyrrhus stepped forward slowly, reached out and brushed the marks with a feather-light touch.
"They're beautiful."
If Crow looked up he would find the centaur with a sincere smile. "I knew I chose the right partner for my little dance project. The faeries that bear these marks...they are the most remarkable dancers."
Carefully he took the pot of paint from Crow's hands and prepared the brush. "Now, try not to move, and no matter what I say. Do not laugh."

Goonfire Goonfire

Crow was dumbstruck, to say the least. “You... don’t mind them?” He had always been told to conceal his dark fey ancestry, that it was dangerous to embrace or even reveal it. Had he overreacted, took it too seriously? Maybe the other inquisitors weren’t anticipating his cooperation with other Cyndarans.

Though the reason for his worry was left unstated, one thing was obvious: his expression was shifting from fear to relief. Judging by the color showing on his cheeks, he was processing the kind words, taking them to heart. Heart... speaking of which, that blood-pumping organ had settled, though still thumped heavily in anticipation of the body paint application, an act which he considered intimate because of the amount of trust involved. “Th-thank you. I’ll do my best,” Crow finally quaked, conforming to a position that allowed Pyrrhus to easily paint him. A wry smile returned to him as he did so; he felt daft for expecting the worst all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back