• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Setting Summer Dawn - Firelight tales

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

144cc4074580b737d7d28afff126564a.jpg
Alistair

Time: Shortly before leaving
Interaction: Alistair, Leandra

Though she had no way of knowing it, he wore an odd smile at her open remark. Bluntness was not something he was used to, most of the people he dealt with were liars and those who used honeyed words to get what they wanted. Or, to try and keep their lives with bribes and threats, anyway.

"Oh, what tipped you off? The shadow magic, the mask, the cloak, the armor, or my penchant for long-winded speeches?"

He tried to be more friendly with the comment, not quite a joke but close enough to at least possible make dealing with his presence a bit easier. After all, they were all apparently seupposed to be a team. And it was true though, he was certainly an odd ball as far as most were concerned. But then again, not many of this grouped seemed entirely 'normal', at least as far as he understood the meaning of the word. But when he thought about it, normal wasn't exactly a very interesting thing to be anyway.

"I've never seen a shooting star in person. The ones I tend to stare at don't move at all. And haven't for quite some time."

Lioness075 Lioness075

#9365B8

Leandra blinked at the masked man before shrugging.
"Um, yes."

Belatedly, she realized that answer probably did not make as much sense as it had in her head.
Inwardly wincing, Leandra folded her ears against her head and was rather relieved when the man moved on.

Her ears perked up at the star talk and Leandra seemed to relax as she responded, "Yes, well, most never will. I was taught that some of those stars are actually other planets in our galaxy. There's whole entire other worlds out there that we can't go to! Oh, and the planets that are stars in our sky move around the sky throughout time, so they're not always in the same place! Oh oh, and some stars are brighter than others because some have already died, but we're only just witnessing their death from our planet!"

Leandra caught herself, realizing she was yet again ranting. She had learned quickly back home that most people did not appreciate you talking over them and running the show in a conversation. She clamped her mouth shut and her ears fell halfway to her head.

"Sorry, I'm speaking too much, aren't I?"

#9365B8

Location: Near the underground stream Time: Shortly before leaving

He couldn't help but smile at her reaction. She seemed to be a bit less apprehensive around him, at least for the moment. If they were all going to be looking out for each other as a team, they at least needed to be somewhat comfortable with one another. He listened to every word, nodding when appropriate, actively paying attention and not just feigning it. As much as he might act like he doesn't care, he rather enjoyed simple conversation with people. He just hadn't ever had much of an opportunity to partake of it.

"Feel free to speak as much as you like, it's really no bother. It's uh... Been a long time since I had a real conversation with someone.".

Lioness075 Lioness075

#9365B8

Leandra's right ear perked back up when the masked man responded to her. What he said was very surprising to her, mostly because she had annoyed many people back home with how much she spoke. It was very different to have now met two people in this group that did not mind it. It was refreshing, in a way.

Although, the masked man's last remark had both of Leandra's ears perking up. Given the man's murderous nature from their last fight, Leandra was not entirely surprised. That, and the fact that he was rather open about having a criminal background.
Instinctively, Leandra took a step back at the mental reminder of how dangerous this man was. But then she inwardly chided herself for it. She had no doubt he would have seen the flash of fear on her face. She was painfully expressive all of the time.

Before Leandra could say something in her defense, the rest of the group walked up to them and began heading on to their next destination. Feeling increasingly awkward, Leandra had no idea what to say and looked down at the ground before muttering an apology. She then turned and jogged up behind Ora, her ears tucked against her head once more.

Down on the floor, Falarion peered up at Alistair curiously and simply meowed once before trotting after Leandra.

Naberius Naberius

#9365B8

Time: Shortly after Alistair awakens

"You had no need to stay here, I'm perfectly fine..."

He went to turn away but thought better of it, reaching down to the strange creature that currently assaulting his leg with its side, and picked it up gently.

"Though... I suppose it's appreciated... Such an interesting pet."

For a moment, his face threatened to twist into a genuine smile, the soft furred creature held lightly in his arms. He stroked the back, scratching under his chin a moment before placing him down into the bed, sitting down himself.

"It's quite alright. I am indeed odd, and I don't belong. I know none of you, I have no allegiances or friendships period, let alone any with this group of rabblerousers. And yet fate has decreed that our goals align for the time being, casting us in the roles of allies. And when this is over, we will go our separate ways and never speak again."

Lioness075 Lioness075

Leandra scoffed when Alistair said that he was fine. He was doing better now, but she knew he still needed more rest...and a proper meal. She wondered if she could just bring a meal to him if he was going to be stubborn and refuse to leave his room while they all rested.

When he was picked up, Falarion meowed again and then peered up at Alistair, his ears flickering this way and that while the two spoke with each other.

Leandra grinned at the mention of Falarion and said, "Yeah, I've never seen a creature like him before I came through the tunnels. We were both surprised to see each other and the poor little guy was starving when I did find him."

As Alistair began petting him, Falarion pushed his head into Alistair's hand, purring softly. Once on the bed, Falarion sat down and partly unfurled a wing, preening it while he relaxed on the bed now.

Just as she was beginning to think she might have a fairly normal conversation with Alistair, he went off on one of his long-winded speeches with the unnecessarily fancy words.
Leandra raised an eyebrow at him and crossed her arms before replying, "Look, I'm pretty new to this group as well. I'd only been with them for one rest period before you joined us in that fight at the temple place. It's been so chaotic with this group, we really don't get any chances to slow down and try to get to know anyone."

Leandra was quiet when she thought about the last thing Alistair said, though. Parting ways and never speaking again sounded so ominous...and sad. She was enjoying her time with Azaria, despite how terrifying she could be in fights, and with a few of the others in the group. She had never met all these different races before and was so fascinated by how eye-opening this adventure had been for her. She did wonder if she would ever find that shooting star, though.

Looking down at her lap, Leandra began fiddling with her claws, as the anxiety of leaving everyone to return to her village and be lonely once more began to set in.
"I don't know if I want to leave this group when the adventure ends. I...I don't have much to return to. I don't have any family...or friends back home."
Determined to not get emotional in front of a stranger, Leandra inhaled and then exhaled before looking back up at Alistair.
"What about you? You mention being a criminal and then also having a background in...theatre? Surely you have someone to return to, yes?"

Naberius Naberius

"No, I have no one. And that's exactly how it should be. How it has to be. The fate I've accepted. My family died over 70 years ago, I have nothing resembling friends. Gideon is more or less just a connection I've made during my work."

Sitting on the bed, he chewed at the sad excuse for a meal with focus. He had gone quiet, and remained that way for several minutes before looking back to Leandra. He frowned, his eyebrows creasing at the center and looking rather deep in thought for a moment before he spoke again.

"I don't really expect you or anyone else to understand, really. And you can stay if you so choose. But, there are only two outcomes for me on this mission. Either I'll die, or we'll succeed and I'll go back to my old life before you lot came into it."

The way he spoke was so calm and matter-of-fact that it was almost cold. Clinical. Detached. As though he were merely speaking of the time of day or what the weather might be. It was obvious he believed the words so thoroughly that they were, in his mind, beyond reproach. Then his expression changed. Softened. A sad smile played across his face.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't speak like that when you've obviously grown attached to them. I've always been alone so it's easy for me to talk about being alone again. Because that's how it'll always be for me."

Lioness075 Lioness075

#EB6B56

Leandra visibly deflated, ears pressing against her head and shoulders slumping, when Alistair spoke of no one to return to either. It was sad enough for her to know she had nothing left, but it was even worse to know he was in a similar situation. She did have sketchbooks and drawings back home that she absolutely wanted still, but little else.
But when Alistair mentioned his family dying over 70 years ago, she perked back up with a mixed expression of confusion and curiosity. She held her tongue for now, as he continued speaking. Her ears flickered forward, as she listened intently, her expression shifting back to a sadder one as he seemed set on not being attached to the group and being alone.

Frowning slightly, Leandra said, "But you don't have to be alone. You're here with us now, as am I. I was alone before I stumbled upon this group. I don't really know anyone too well in the group yet, but they're all so close and have been doing this for quite some time now. Surely you and I can become closer to the group in due time as well! I'd imagine the others have plans for what happens after."
Leandra became quiet then, realizing that most of the group members seemed romantically attached to another. That meant most would break away to live with their romantic partners at the end. She had no idea if anyone would feel inclined to be close to the others once this all ended.

Uncomfortable with the growing silence, Leandra decided to change the subject.
"So, wait, your family passed away 70 years ago? That means you're...wait, that makes no sense."
Remembering she knew little about the other races, Leandra felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment. She was ever grateful to have fur concealing this.
"Um, I'm sorry, but I only know how beastpeople age and our ages vary to a degree, but even those who can live longer look far more...aged by the time they near 70 or 80-years-old."
Rubbing the back of her neck, Leandra looked away, realizing she had no idea how to politely ask what race Alistair was and how he was able to live for so long without aging as quickly. She sensed this may be a sensitive subject, as nobody besides Crow had been that eager to explain races to her as of yet. She also disliked how naive she was about the world beyond her village.
Fidgeting in her chair, Leandra glanced at Alistair's ears again and then back at his face. His skin color was similar to some of the people she had seen here. But something seemed 'off'. She could not quite place it, but she knew he was not entirely like the people here. It was confusing to her, but he spoke so little of his past that she did not know how to approach the subject without possibly upsetting him.

Naberius Naberius

"I must disagree. My life is not the kind I can share with anyone. Even if... Even if I did grow close to others, how would that be fair to them? If they cared for me, and I for them, I would only hurt them when I.. Inevitably die doing what I do."

He followed her eyes, read her expressions. For a while he didn't respond, and it started to become apparent that he was used to lapsing into silence, carefully choosing his words. It normally meant he was about to speak for an extended period of time, and was trying to align everything together correctly.

"Yes. My family was slaughtered for being traitors to their kind. For freeing slaves. My father was human. A wealthy merchant heir married to the heiress of another wealthy merchant family to create political ties. However there was never much love, from what I was told, and in fact my father fell for one of the very slaves he freed. An elf woman. I never even knew their names or the names of my family members. I had only just been born weeks before my father's wife found out, and their political rivals informed. My entire family was killed before I was even a month old. I was taken in by an old satyr, a family friend who lived in Cyndara. He took me in, raised me. Taught me my magic. Named me. I have no last name, no family left alive. At least not on my father's side. But I never knew what sort of elf my mother was, just that I got my skin tone and ears from her. Elves live a very long time, far longer than any human. And so too will I."

When he finished speaking, he finished off the last of the food he had brought with him and pocketed the paper it had been wrapped in to dispose of later.

Lioness075 Lioness075

EB6B56

Listening to Alistair speak about hurting others, Leandra reflected on what happened to her mentor back home. She deflated once more, her ears folding back slightly and her shoulders slumped yet again. She knew how it felt to lose someone close to you, though she had to wonder if he had ever grown close to someone in a meaningful way. It sounded like Alistair had spent his life very much alone, as he had described it.

Unsure of how to respond to that, Leandra remained quiet for some time until Alistair spoke again. Her eyes widened when he began speaking about his life. She had never expected him to open up to her like this and was taken aback. She quickly schooled her features back into a more neutral expression, as her ears perked forward once again and she listened intently. Her right ear occasionally twitched, as she seemed to be enraptured by Alistair's life story. She had experienced such little novelty back home, hearing of such a tale was both fascinating and heartbreaking. Leandra knew what it was like to grow up without parents. She had never been able to convince a village elder to tell her what had happened. She had simply grown up in the orphanage in town, raised collectively by the village. It had indeed been a lonely life until she had found her way into apprenticeship with the astronomy master.

Alistair's tale was encapsulated with sadness and misfortune. While Leandra did not fully understand all of what was said, she understood the gist of it and tentatively began to reach out with her left paw to touch Alistair's shoulder as a means of comforting him, but stopped herself and pulled her paw back to her chest. She glanced down at the leather glove and hugged it to herself, tentatively patting down around it to ensure none of her bandages were showing still. She knew better than to try and comfort him anyways. She had been so upset by his near-death experience earlier, she had not considered how he may react to a hug. His reaction said plenty about how he felt towards physical comfort like that.

Sighing, Leandra let her paws drop to her lap once more and said softly, "I doubt you want to hear this, but I am sorry all of that has happened to you. It is very hard to come from a dark past and to accept any light the world may have to offer to you."
Pausing, Leandra thought back on something her mentor had said to her before. She was not entirely keen on fanciful words as Alistair was, but she had a feeling he may appreciate this sort of thing.
"My mentor once said this to me before. 'In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.'"
Wistful now, Leandra peered up at the ceiling and then closed her eyes. She envisioned the starry dark sky back home with all of the twinkling stars and planets beyond.
Keeping her eyes closed, Leandra continued, "The stars were my light that pulled me from the darkness of my own troubling past. They're all so beautiful despite living in a world of darkness."
Her mentor had also been a key in helping her move forward in life, but Leandra knew the stars had become her only friends when her mentor was gone and she had felt lost once more. After all, the shooting star had guided her to the tunnels, to Falarion, and to this ragtag team that she could maybe call family. Just maybe.

Naberius Naberius

He had no idea why he had told her those things. He hadn't even consciously made the decision to do so, it all just sort of came tumbling out. Like an underwater spring that suddenly burst through a newly made hole through the rock. A dam had burst. He listened to her words, saw the comfort she had tried to give him, and felt ashamed of his actions before. And that confused him greatly. He had never once regretted any action he had taken until that moment. Looking back, maybe there wet either things he would regret too aside from the deaths he had been forced to deliver. He had never shared that story with anyone, indeed had never had anyone to share it with in the first place. Perhaps he had started growing soft around these people, in the short time he had known them. Again he remained silent. Minutes passed. Finally he smiled. A genuine, kind smile. The first time such an expression had crossed his face in many years.

"Thank you for your words, Leandra. You are too kind. The old satyr who raised me had a similar saying. He would say 'Light without the darkness is blinding, and darkness without the light is an endless Abyss'. He taught me to see the good that came with the bad, the bad that came with the good. Seems over the decades since then, I had forgotten that lesson. Thank you for reminding me of it. And thank you for your compassion. And my reaction before, I apologize....I had never... Been hugged before."

He looked away, slightly embarrassed at the long winded speech he had once more given. He was so used to doing so that it came naturally. Another habit he would have to work on correcting.

Lioness075 Lioness075

EB6B56

When Leandra opened her eyes and looked back at Alistair, she saw his thoughtful expression once more. Ears perked forward yet again, she waited for his response, her paws on her knees now, as she leaned forward a bit. She was already grinning by the time Alistair smiled. She had always been so happy when she would cheer up her mentor years ago and it was something she had grown to love doing - making others happy. To see a smile on the previously dark and ominous Alistair made her giddy and elated. Her fangs glinted as she wholeheartedly smiled back at Alistair.

Before she could punch the air and excitedly say something, Alistair was speaking again. Leandra caught herself and tried to sit still, though one of her hind paws was now tapping against the floor. Her claws made a clicking noise against the hard surface.
Delighted she had reminded him of better times, Leandra continued grinning and then froze for a second at the mention of her hug from before. Her eyes widened when he mentioned never having been hugged before. She could not believe her ears.

Without another thought, Leandra suddenly leapt forward and hugged Alistair. It all happened so fast.

Falarion leapt up into the air with a surprised yowl before gliding down to the door in the room.

Bracing her hind paws on the floor to avoid completely tackling Alistair, Leandra quickly let go of him. Before it became too awkward, she exclaimed with a big smile, "Now you've been hugged again!"
With her heart pounding from both excitement and anxiety for what she had just done, Leandra turned away and skirted out of the room, quickly closing the door behind her just as Falarion sprinted after her.

Naberius Naberius

The sudden embrace caused his eyes to widen, but he didn't pull away this time. No, instead he smiled just a little, and maybe playfully rolled his eyes when she wasn't looking. A quick hand came up to pat her back, and she was off in a flash out the door. When she had gone, he actually laughed a little to himself. Standing, he made ready to exit the room. Whatever strange charisma she had certainly affected him in a positive way. He strapped on his cloak and long knife, now adorned in the much finer and richer garb that had been provided for him and stepped up to the door. He inhaled sharply and let the breath out in a slow and steady rhythm before reaching towards the handle of the door to leave.

"I suppose I have indeed."

EB6B56

Time:
Midway through the meal
Interaction:
Alistair, Lohrithe, Leandra, (anyone in the dining room wanting to join)

He hadn't been paying attention to the others at the time. He had focused his attentions entirely on the small puzzle in front of him, the series of concentric rings were very intricately crafted by an obviously talented and seasoned craftsman. He only looked up when he heard someone speaking nearby, and saw the other elf with similar skin tone to his own holding two plates of food. As he sat next to him, Alistair's eyes narrowed, and the frown deepend. He looked to the ring in his hands, holding it up for inspection.

"A ring puzzle. Is there some reason you've come to talk, or just come glower at and judge the collapsed wretch? Either way, I'd prefer to keep at my puzzle."

He frowned at the offered plate, making no moves at all to take it, passing himself off as disinterested in it. Or at least as well as he could.

"I've already eaten, I don't need-"

His rather unhelpful stomach took that moment to chime in, sounding more like a rabid beast than a man's hunger pangs.

"I don't need your sympathy, your pity, or your charity..."

The look on his face was irritated, mostly at himself and his own body for betraying him. The meager trail rations he had eaten were barely enough to even feel, let alone satiate real hunger. He wasn't in any danger of passing out from hunger, but he wasn't exactly in pristine condition either.

Zazz Zazz Lioness075 Lioness075

#ffcc00

Time: Midway through the meal
Interaction: Alistair, Lohrithe, Leandra,

Despite Alistair's unpleasant demeanor, Lohrithe smiled kindly. He was quite used to the orcs of Raz'kul and their grumpiness. "How about a friend and a hot meal, then, hmm?" The elf held the plate he had filled for Alistair under the man's nose, letting the scent of a good meal waft to his senses. He then placed the plate in front of the man and sat with his own plate. "Mm, finally, good food. Dwerstand has the worst seasoning." He suddenly recalled trying that 'cheese' thing and made a face.

Eyeing the puzzle, the drow asked, "Where did you come by it? I've never seen one, before."

"Sorry, I don't do the whole 'friend' thing. It's better off for everyone that way."

He scowled at the plate. He was being teased and he knew it. Though when he thought about it, he didn't know why his mood was so dark. Lea had honestly been a great help, but the moment he stepped back outside he was hit with that same embarrassment he felt before, for being such a complete stubborn moron and insisting on doing everything himself. Again. He sighed deeply, breathing in and holding it for a moment before releasing it slowly. A helpful breathing exercise he had picked up some time ago.

"It was a gift, from the closest thing I ever had to a father. See, there are 12 total rings that combine into the larger whole. The idea is to work them around and find out how they interlock. He said 'Anyone of average intellect can figure out first two rings. The next 3 require significant talent. The 4 following are for truly intelligent individuals. And only the maker can solve the last 3'."

Zazz Zazz Lioness075 Lioness075

#ffcc00

Lohrithe nodded, listening to the man's explanation curiously. "How many rings can you do?" He wondered how many any of them could do. He hadn't much experience with puzzles, but he could of course appreciate the art of the object.

"Where are you from, Alistair? I don't believe you've said."

"I can do the first 7. As for where I'm from, originally I was born in the city of humans. Or so I'm told. I never knew my parents, seeing as they were slaughtered when I wasn't even a year old. Mother was an elf of some kind, she's where I get the skin tone and the ears. As for why I'm telling you this, I already know that's your next line of questioning. But don't expect the full life story."

Slowly, he put down the ring and picked up the plate that had been brought for him. For the moment he simply inspected the contents, various vegetables and fruits and assorted other things. All of exceptional quality, the accompanying soup even more so. Still he didn't touch the food itself, merely the plate. And his stomach raged against his inaction.

Interaction: Alistair, Lohrithe, Leandra

Lohrithe frowned at his own plate when the death of Alistair's parents was brought up. His heritage made sense, what with the half-pointed ears and his bluish moonlight skintone. "I'd bet a wyvern egg your mother was a drow. Did you know their names? Or why they were killed?"

"They were murdered because one was an escaped slave, and my father was the one who helped her escape. My family on my father's side, going back 4 generations at least, was known to have a hand in freeing slaves. Families when they could, or at least the mothers and children of they couldn't. The woman who would be my mother was one of them. My father was married st the time, a political dealing. She found out the slave was living with them in secret and had given birth to me, and informed the family's political rivals. They were hunted for being traitors. I'm the only one that survived aside from the old satyr that raised me, and gave me this ring. I don't even know their names. Or my birth name."

He sat in silence for a few moments, staring at the plate. He'd done it again, spilling out all the details he had like a fountain. Why? Why did he do it in the first place and why again? Was there some subconscious desire to reveal this to others, to seek answers? Or was it more about the companionship?

Lohrithe was a bit surprised when Alistair actually gave him an answer, and a detailed one, at that. But he began to piece together his story with the man Alistair had become. His motives. "It was Everreach, wasn't it? The elves killed your father?"

The drow huffed in disappointment at the world. Sumenna was a strange, harsh place, but only because of its societal norms. If only people would be kinder to one another. He looked over at Alistair and thanked Cyndabrynde he had grown up with enough care in this world to have saved Desrick and him, along with all of the others. Lohrithe gave the man's shoulder a thankful squeeze. "Eat, friend. Then perhaps we can find your family, here. If you would like."

"I told you already... I don't have friends. And I certainly don't have family..."

The look in his eye was different. More... Sad. The Visage of a man come to terms with an age old truth, loneliness was his entire existence and he knew it well. He looked at the comforting hand on his shoulder, not truly understanding how to feel about the situation. First a hug, then a second, and now this. These sorts of gestures were foreign, though he knew of there existenceand purpose he'd never been on the receiving side of such displays. It was an odd feeling, one he couldn't place.

Last edited:

While Alistair was stuck in a conversation with Lohrithe, Leandra busily made two plates for herself and Falarion, who was happily walking on top of the table once more to help select his food. Humming a nonsensical tune while she did so, Leandra's ears flickered this way and that, casually eavesdropping on what the other two were discussing nearby.
By the time she sat down in another chair, Leandra already had some roasted chaurus in her mouth when another was offered to Falarion.
Falarion happily meowed and walked over to sit beside Lohrithe's chair while he ate his own piece.

Listening while she continued to eat, Leandra waited to add in her input until she senses a lull in the conversation. Naturally, Alistair provided such.
Rolling her eyes at Alistair's dark response, Leandra finally spoke up, "Oh hush, Mr. Broody. You're already my friend, so you can't say that anymore."
In all honesty, it took very little effort to become a friend in Leandra's eyes. She already considered Azaria, Crow, and Lohrithe friends. Pyrrhus and Ora were getting close to being friends and Leandra still did not know the others in the group that well.

Naberius Naberius Zazz Zazz

Last edited:

He blinked slowly at her proclamation. They had only ever had 2 conversations together, and he wasn't really sure how that amounted to being friends. He stared between the two of them for a time, a full minute or more passed before... He smiled and shook his head... And it turned into light laughter...

"You people are some of the oddest sort I've ever met. Fine, have it your way. Since apparently I'm being out numbered and out voted on the matter and you aren't going to be leaving me alone about it."

The way he said it... It almost sounded like.. A joke?

Almost absentmindedly, he pulled a bit of food off the plate he'd been offered and chewed on it idly, watching the small winged cat out of the corner of his eye. He found that he thought it was rather... Adorable... Which is a word he'd never used before to describe anything or anyone, and it felt alien and almost wrong to him.

Lioness075 Lioness075 Zazz Zazz

Interaction: Alistair, Lohrithe, Leandra, Iolas?

A smile spread across the drow's face at the sound of laughter. It was a good sound. Lohrithe had a feeling such moments were rare for the man.

"Perhaps one of the elders has a record of your mother's side. Ah, old Gholerin, of course. The keeper of times."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back