• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Setting Summer Dawn - Firelight tales

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Time: Morning after the Dragon discovery, after training session with Azaria
Interaction: Ora & Crispin
Color: #13A123

Ora narrowed her eyes, and wished she had something to chuck at his gleeful face. But she only chuckled, and finished her tea quickly, before rushing upstairs to change into something that looked less.. well, like she had been tackled by an enraged assassin.

When she came back down, she was free of dirt and only slightly more formal than before. Ora had to make a specific effort to find things in her wardrobe that would allow her to blend in- it looked like Winifred and the girls had done some shopping for her recently, for the kinds of things she almost never wore. The fabrics would stand out if someone looked for too long, especially in this maroon color, but with a good cloak she should be relatively unremarkable.
She tied that cloak around her shoulders as she trotted down the path toward Crispin, well-worn boots hitting softly against the stone.
She opened her mouth to make some joke, about the contrast of the colors in their clothing, but stopped short.
"Crispin.. are you alright?"
SilverFlight SilverFlight

Crispin started at the voice and turned with a weak smile. He took a moment to order his thoughts.
"When Lassard had the orcs turn on Delan I was terrified. It was my home, everything I knew, and everyone I loved. Then, by the gift of your brilliant mind you managed to convince the others to stand in defence of the town. The only reason my home is still there, is because of you."
He turned to face her fully now, and couldn't help but take her hands in his, a gesture of how often this had crossed his mind.
"I owe you everything, but...now it's not just my town in danger...it's my entire country. I feel...scared, angry...helpless. I've never been in a war before I...I'm not sure I know how to deal with all these feelings..."
He shook his head as if to clear it. "I can think on what to do about that, but what I know I can do, right now, is tell the queen about the ambush that's coming for her. If we can get to the surface I'll call the bird I brought and send it out, I can only hope it will reach her before the orc army does."

Crispin lead the way to the gates, and once outside of them he let Ora take the lead. She knew Dwerstand much better than he did, and he was happy to rely on her, taking comfort in her presence.

Flutterby Flutterby

Time: evening after the Dwerstand marketplace
Interaction: Pyrrhus & Crow

Pyrrhus lay back beside him to meet his eyes. His fingers played idly in Crow's palm, as if he was afraid to break the connection.
At mention of not being forgotten Pyrrhus gave him a loving smile.
At the sudden motion Pyrrhus jumped, the entire cushion mound shaking as his equine legs twitched.
His excitement mirrored Crow's as the inquisitor spoke.
"There are most certainly more like you. Oh how wonderful would it be if it was as you say!"
Pyrrhus sat up too, smiling brightly. He wanted the best for Crow, and for others like him.
"No one should have to hide who they are."
But Crow was talking about changing the heavens, and then the nature of people, both tasks seemed impossible, though Pyrrhus didn't want to give voice to that thought.
"Whatever your endeavours of the future my love. I will be right beside you in them."
Goonfire Goonfire

Ora listened with tented brows, her eyes flickering over the feature of his face, the way they moved as he spoke.
She had to consciously hold her tongue. A denial of his perception of her as the hero of Delan leapt into her throat instantly, but that was a conversion for.. well, never, she was tired of having it.
She frowned, and gave his hands a soft squeeze.
"I understand how you feel, and I feel the same way. I don't.. I don't know what to do about it either. For now, let's just do our best to stop this, and to stay together."
Ora didn't hesitate to follow him, nor did she give a moment of pause as they turned out of the gate and onto the street. She turned away from the center of the city, and toward the dark wall of the cavern.
"We're going to take my usual route out of the city. It's through the poorer areas of the city, but they're less likely to gossip about me than my neighbors in the other direction. And there's a bakery on the way that sells the best fire-spice buns."
The half-dwarf gave him a small smile, and hoped this little errand would be enjoyable, despite its real purpose.

Crow cleared his throat, recognizing his outburst. “I’m sorry,” he started sheepishly. “I suppose I have been... excitable as of late. I think my point is, there is much more good to come from our campaign, though sometimes it may not be fully apparent.” Before lying back down, he evened out a few of the cushions he had rattled when he sprang up.

“This I know to be true,” Crow then affirmed, followed by a dramatic pause as he fished around for both of Pyrrhus’ hands. Once he had them held in his, he continued: “I realized this morning, no real good has ever come of torture. Thank you for helping me see it.” The teary-eyed inquisitor wore a gentle, genuine smile. “I‘ll be with you through thick and thin... my love.”

Crispin's usual grin appeared back on his face. "If those buns are as spicy as the name sounds, don't tell Desrick, I want to see the look on his face when I give him one."
He gave a mock bow. "After you, please."

The trek through the underground was longer than Crispin expected. He hadn't realized they had gone down so deep into the earth. Dwerstand really was a wonder to behold. The square, blocky architecture had a sturdy charm that he was quite taken with, and the dim light almost made it seem like home. He suggested they pick up the pastries on the way back, reasoning that the bird might be less cooperative if there was food about. Well-trained as it was, it was still a bird.
The central road leading from the great cavern had several side ways as well, carved intricately into the rock, and these were used for lesser parties, guarded by only a single dwarf, who did not seem too fussed when he saw Crispin was traveling with another dwarf.
The light seared his eyes in a now familiar way and it took him a few minutes before the tears stopped and he could see a little.
He took a whistle from his breast pocket and blew and intricate melody.
"Now we wait."
As they waited a little more of the scenery came into view. The plains skirting the mountains were in full bloom: Yellows purples and whites. The grasslands shimmered as the wind blew through them and fluffy clouds drifted lazily in a powder blue sky.
"I don't think I'll ever get over how pretty this country is, despite the homicidal elves." Crispin said at length, ready to break the silence.
Flutterby Flutterby

"You're charming when you're excitable." Pyrrhus returned with a coquettish smile.
When Crow began fishing for his hands he gave them happily, and looked into his eyes when he spoke.
Of all the places he had ever been, and all the places he could dream of, none of them were better than right here with Crow.
He freed a hand with a gentle tug and raised it to run his fingers though the inquisitor's hair fondly.
"Thick, it seems most likely to be. Thick with trouble, but by all my power, I swear I will keep you safe."
Pyrrhus shifted just a little closer, so he could put an arm around Crow. His eyes were beginning to drift closed and he drew in a deep breath and sighed with content.
"This...just like this, with you...Cyndabrynde herself could not have made a better paradise. Goddess and God and whoever else be praised, but I thought I had forgotten how to be this happy."
Goonfire Goonfire

Location: Ora's Estate- Garden/Entrance to the house/Outer Dwerstand

Ora lead the way confidently, moving through the streets on a route she had traveled many times before. It was the route she took between the cottage and the estate, twice each month to discuss the larger business of the mine and drop off any orders from inside Dwerstand. When they climbed the road to the mouth of the cavern, she wasn't surprised that the dwarf guarding the path was unfamiliar- they changed often, and were usually someone on the rocks with their commander- but she was surprised that he didn't question the presence of such a tall being, comparatively speaking. She had to remind herself that a much larger number of elves had been in the city for.. almost a fortnight?
She squinted in the sun, and her eyes instinctively wandered up the side of the hill toward her cabin. They didn't have time to go up there, not with the others bound to be waking soon and things to do that day, but he heart gave a little lurch when she pictured it in her mind.

She was still deep in thought, about her past life, when Crispin broke the silence.
"Hm?" She blinked, and refocused her eyes on the plains stretching before them.
"Oh.. I suppose it is rather pretty." She tilted her head, mulling over the way a Cyndaran might perceive this place. "I hadn't really ever thought about it, growing up with it, I guess it all just seemed mundane. But I guess you seeing this country isn't all that different from me seeing Cyndara."

“Those trying times are character builders,” Crow reminded Pyrrhus. “We will keep each other safe, for our love is mutual—equally strong between us.” A squeeze of the hand affirmed the promise.

He cocked his head to the side as he listened. The smile was infectious; Crow beamed at the confession and decided to reveal something as well. “I feared I would never know happiness. Our gods work in mysterious ways, and praise them for it...” His voice weakened a bit, transitioning into a drawn-out yawn. Sleep called in this cushioned paradise.

Crispin smiled at that. "It's so light, you can see for miles, and everything has this...shine to it..."
He let his mind wander for just a bit more. "It feels like an eternity since Delan, doesn't it? So much has happened..."
Afterwards, if asked, Crispin may have admitted to bringing Ora here with more motive than simply to act as a guide.
Crispin didn't want to think about Evereach, or the orcs, or the dragon supposedly sleeping right under their feet. He shoved those thoughts as far back into his mind as they would go.
He turned to her, taking her hands in his and stepping close.
"Ora...whatever happens after today, I need to say something to you, something I should have said out right before this..."
He caught her eyes and held them, never feeling more conviction than in that singular moment. The wind flew about them, racing across the mountain side and making the grasses dance. Crispin drew in a steadying breath.
"I love you. I love you and when this is over, and we bring peace back to Bryn, I will follow you anywhere. Wherever you decide to go, I want to be there right beside you."

Flutterby Flutterby

Ora gave a soft sound of agreement, really making an effort now to see the place as beautiful. He was right, everything had a golden gleam that Cyndara lacked. It was the color of the light, maybe, or perhaps or the way the sea of flowers threw the light back into the sky after it touched them. The breeze ruffled the grasses, and she lifted her chin just slightly to breathe it in. It was perfumed by the blooms, but she could just catch the scent of rock and rainwater and pine that told her she was in the mounts. For a heartbeat, she let herself admit she had missed the warmth of the sun on her face.
Ora nodded quietly, not quite ready to think about the happenings Crispin seemed to be musing on. It was easy to forget them, standing and breathing like this. She wanted to forget them, just for a minute.

She almost jumped when he took her hands- her eyes had drifted shut. Quickly blinking herself alert, Ora turned herself to Crispin, and gently rubbed the back of his hands with her thumbs. He was nervous again. If she hadn't been feeling so meditative it would've been enough to make her nervous, too.
Ora tried to make a list of the things he could possibly want to say to her.
Ora, you've had food in your teeth all morning.
Ora, you're actually a horrid dancer and I never want to go to a ball with you again.
Ora, I find the decor in your house appalling and we can't be together if that's really your style.
Ora, I've realized I was only into you because you saved Delan but now I've realized you're quite dull.

That last one actually frightened her a bit, but not nearly as much as it once would have. Finally, Crispin took a breath and seemed ready to speak, so she quieted her mind and tried to control her face.

She almost succeeded in hiding her surprise, but she couldn't hide the deep red that spread across her face instantly.
"Crispin I- " Her face was hot, so were her ears, and her mouth wouldn't make words. Why wouldn't her mouth make words? They normally came so easily. It was the second word- she wanted to repeat it, but she couldn't force it out. She felt like she was drowning in a sea of her own feelings, with him staring at her. She promised herself she wouldn't look away.
"I feel the same way. I find it.. terrifying and confusing and I- I need you to understand that and be.. patient with me. But I do feel the same, and when this is over.. we will find a home that suits us both, and it will be the happiest place I've ever lived."

Crispin could have whooped for joy, danced on the spot, any number of things, instead, his beaming smile communicated all of that and more.
"You, are worth all the patience in the world.."
He shifted one of his hands to her cheek, brushing it softly. The moment was perfect...and then the glint of something caught in his eye, forcing him to blink and turn. The heat mirage that sometimes played on the edge of the horizon looked different today...and then Crispin saw what it really was:
"Oh no..."
Armour. The sun was reflecting off a sea of silver armour. Evereach was coming.
There was a shrill cry from overhead and Crispin's bird swooped down to land on his arm.
Crispin shot Ora a worried look, relaying a brief message for the queen.
Once the bird had launched itself again and began winging it's way East, Crispin took Ora's hand once more, regretting the loss of time they could have had.
"What would those sun elves have if not their poorly-timed inconveniences eh?" He was trying to be funny, but the worry was plain in his eyes.
"We need to tell the others."
@flutter

Ora smiled, almost shyly, and leaned lightly into his touch. He looked as happy as she felt. She took a deep breath in, her lips parted to say something... and then Crispin's head turned, and his eyes focused on something in the distance.
She turned too, and as Crispin sent the bird off with the message, she was watching the horizon. The reflection. There was that feeling, again, that there was something she was missing. It had haunted her since leaving Gideon's. She had a fleeting thought about the last time they had seen Evereach soldiers on the horizon, the illusion they had painted, and then Crispin spoke and the thought evaporated.
She flashed him a half-smile, and copied his flippant tone when she said, "Well, at least they're coming all at once this time. That has to be nearly their entire force."
Ora gave a tense nod, and turned to lead the way back down into Dwerstand. Fire-spice buns were the last thing on her mind now.

Time: Shortly before leaving
Interaction: Alistair, Leandra

Alistair had not been expecting such a barrage of questions so suddenly, and he remained quiet for a few moments. He almost decided not to speak on the matter at all, but he felt like he needed to open up at least a little. Trust was essential if a group like this was going to operate together in a functional and productive manner.

"I have killed before, yes. But I take no pleasure in the act. Every night, their faces haunt me. That is the biggest reason I cannot sleep. It has become second nature to me, though. Even growing up the way I did, it was myself or them. And I chose to live. No matter what that costs."

He noticed she was afraid, seemingly of him. Though, when he thought about it he couldn't blame her. He had mercilessly killed two men, controlled the very darkness itself, and wore a mask he refused to remove. Declaring himself a criminal certainly hadn't helped his case, even if it was true.

"You realize the sorts of actions you and your group are undertaking make you criminals as well, do you not? But yes, I said it and I meant it. Though you needn't worry, I only target those that would enslave others, infringe upon the freedoms that all races should rightly share. We breath the same air, walk the same world, and know the same pains, do we not?"

Lioness075 Lioness075

#9365B8

Leandra flinched visibly when the masked stranger mentioned taking lives previously. She had never taken someone's life before. She could not even begin to imagine the torment one would experience afterwards. Hearing the man speak of how tormented he felt by each death, Leandra tilted her head to the side, as she realized that there was more to him than she had first thought. The way he mentioned growing up and having to choose like that, Leandra chewed on her lip as she considered how dark his childhood must have been to lead to this kind of life.

The masked stranger spoke again and Leandra's ears flicked forward, as she listened intently. She stood still, not trying to move away from him anymore, but not making any moves to get closer either.
At her feet, Falarion stood still as well, though his tail was sticking up in the air and he seemed tense, as if ready to defend Leandra if it came to that.
When he declared her a criminal as well, Leandra tensed and held her tongue, having been taught to let others speak their mind before interrupting. The moment he was done speaking, though, she spat out, "I'm no criminal!"
She crossed her arms over her chest, looking like a defiant teenager compared to the height and stature of the masked stranger.
"I still have no idea what's even going on here! I followed a shooting star that fell from the night sky and ended up in this underground world. I don't even know why I'm still here, I just feel compelled to stick with this odd group of ragtag souls."
Thinking over the last thing the man had said, Leandra narrowed her eyes and said, "I have no idea what pain you feel, but we do not share the same kind. I have never killed and never plan to. My pain from my life is undoubtedly very different from yours."

Naberius Naberius

Color: #9365B8

"A shooting star...?"

Honestly, it was so strange and so whimsical that it almost made him laugh. Not out of mockery, no, it would have been genuine. Instead, he simply smiled at the oddity, concealed as the smile might be by the mask he always wore.

"I meant no offense calling you a criminal, but you do associate with criminals, and are thus a criminal yourself by that connection. That is how the guards and authorities would see it. And as far as pain... I'm sure you are correct, for the most part. But do we not all know the pain of hunger? Loss of a loved one? The pain in our hearts when we feel lost and alone? We all, each and every one of us, have more in common than we can even imagine. Things we take for granted every day without thinking about them. It doesn't matter who we are, where we come from, or where we are going. We live. We bleed. We hurt. We laugh and we love. These things are universal truths for all living creatures, regardless of how many may try to hide them. Many of you are not unlike myself. The mask I wear is just on the outside, rather than on the inside."

Lioness075 Lioness075

#9365B8

Time: After the discovery of the dragon bell
Interaction: Desrick & Lohr

As they rested, in the shadows of a small corridor, Desrick could be heard muttering:

"Caldorithe Adaeith, Ulvi..virar...damn."

He sighed, and tried again. "Lord and lady Adaeith, the moon smiles upon you. I have journeyed far at the side of your son...I feel I know him now, as well as I know myself...no. That's not it...erm...since he came to live among my tribe Lohrithe has become more to me than words can describe, that's why I...That's why I want to ask..."
The orc stumbled over his words, then huffed and crumpled a paper he had held in one hand, tossing it against the wall and leaning back on the cool stone with a look of annoyance.

Zazz Zazz
#119a8b

Lohrithe could hear Desrick around the corner in another branch of the tunnel and went to check on him. He tilted his head quizzically in the dim, seeing the frustrated orc slumped against the stone. That wasn't like him, Lohrithe mused, approaching. Despite being rather tall, himself, the drow was dwarfed as he sat down next to his lover.

"What troubles you, Desrick?" He placed a gentle hand over one green knee.

Desrick started, Lohr may have been taller than most, but he was much more quiet than any orc could be. Desrick tired not to look guilty.
"I was er, I was trying to find the right words...for your parents..."
He gave the drow a sideways glance.
"We have faced more dangers than I can count, but somehow, this next bit scares me more than any of it."
His eyes dropped to Lohr's hand, and he put his over it gently, threading his fingers between Lohr's with tender affection.

Zazz Zazz
#119a8b

A smile spread across Lohrithe's face. He, too, was nervous; his people had a bit of a superiority complex, and a... distaste for other races. It was quite like Everreach, he imagined, just less world domination. His smile faltered. The drow rest his head against the orc, his white hair bright against Desrick's skin. "It will be okay. Though, you should probably get my mother's name right," he teased. His mother wasn't... forgiving. "Break it down. Ulvir... aer... ithra. It means, 'Treasured Blood Dragon'."

That brought a smile to Desrick's face. "You're right about that." He glanced down at the elf who brought light into his life.
"Ulviraerithra." He repeated flawlessly, and said it a few more times for good measure.
Desrick shifted to put an arm about Lohr, shifting so the drow could settle against him more comfortably. His fingers brushed the bare skin of Lohrithe's side.
"I know I do not need their permission to love you...still, I would like their blessing, if I can have it."
He half smiled, "is there anything I should not say?"

Zazz Zazz
#119a8b

The drow snuggled in closer, finding comfort in the orc's embrace. This was his person. "Not that I can think of... My people have historically been more of a matriarchal society, but over the years, men have been allowed to hold equal status. It's not perfect equality... just keep that in mind." Lohrithe smiled, his eyes closed. "I'm sure you'll do fine. You've stopped wars, after all."

Time: After nearly drowning, before sleeps
Interaction: Azaria and Leandra

Rather baffled by Azaria's suddenly soft touch and kind nature, Leandra was caught off-guard by the sudden inquiry about her village. She felt excitement welling up inside her at the memories she had from her village. All the laughter and elation she felt playing with other kids and exploring the stars overhead with the telescope her master had gifted her. She had never felt prouder than when she had become his apprentice.
Perking up at this, Leandra began animatedly telling Azaria about her village and the simple life she had enjoyed there.

"Well, so, I'm actually an apprentice in my village and have been studying the stars and astronomy abvoe my village. It's truly fascinating and we've even named some constellations. Like, one is a little bear and then there's a bigger version of it - big bear! I see them as brothers. And there's even one that's a cat! I always kinda felt like it was a constellation for me, but now I guess I have to share it with Falarion. Did I ever tell you how I met Falarion? I actually ran into him in the tunnels leading to this big underground city and I only wandered into these tunnels because I was following a shooting star. One had actually fallen from the sky! Crazy, right?"

It was only then that Leandra finally paused to take a breath and her ears twitched when she realized she had ranted yet again. She scrunched up her nose and tried to hold in another rant in a vain attempt to allow Azaria a chance to respond.

The elven assassin listened quietly as Leandra spilled her life story, brushing the cat woman's fur. She was good at listening, even when she was busy sassing someone. Azaria took extra care around the woman's ears, noticing their twitches with curiosity.

"I've never heard of a shooting star, much less seen one." The halfling elf always had enjoyed stargazing, though, on her trips into the Mistlands. "What are your people called?"

Lioness075 Lioness075

Time: After nearly drowning, before sleeps
Interaction: Azaria and Leandra

Leandra stifled a giggle when Azaria began brushing around her ears. She did not want to admit that it was ticklish, feeling as if that might be a childish thing to admit. She was more than aware that she was surrounded by warriors and true fighters, whereas she was a mere hunter from her village who liked to watch the stars. She felt completely out of her league here and even admitting to following the shooting star made Leandra realize she truly had no idea what she was doing here.

Hearing a quiet purr beside her, Leandra glanced sideways with her eyes to see Falarion stretching out near her. This made Leandra smile, as she realized she had gained a wondrous companion in the process of getting lost, though. And maybe, just maybe, she would make some friends out of this mess.

Hearing that Azaria had never seen a shooting star before, Leandra felt giddy once more.
"It was the first time I had ever seen one! I didn't even know they existed either!"
Then she remembered where they were and realized she would probably never be able to find the shooting star. Disheartened, Leandra's ears folded against her head and she looked back down at her lap.

Azaria's question about her people made Leandra look back up again, her eyes staring into the fire now. She had become something of a hermit in her village after what had happened to the astronomer. The past few years had been very lonely.
Quietly, Leandra said, "We're commonly referred to as beastpeople. Due to our likeness to some beasts of the world and all."
She waved a hand dismissively at her fur and tail. Her tail flicked about on the cave floor in response.

Zazz Zazz

Last edited:

When the man repeated what she had followed, Leandra realized he probably had no idea what she was talking about. Frowning, she tried to see past his mask, but to no avail. She had no idea if this man was even from her side of the world. For all she knew, he did not even know what stars were.
Sighing, Leandra rubbed her face and wondered why she was still holding a conversation with this weird man.

Listening to what he said next, Leandra just stared at him blankly, her right ear twitching occasionally. This man seemed to excel at irritating others and, well, being weird. The way he spoke was so...dramatic. Leandra quirked her head at this thought and continued to stare at the man, moments after he had finished speaking.
"...You are very weird."

It was honestly all she could think to say at this point.

Naberius Naberius

Users who are viewing this thread

Back