• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Sea of Spells OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here

Stok

The Mercenary
Please say hi and answer these questions!

What is your name?

What are your pronouns?

What is your favorite TV show or Book Series?

How much do you know about real world piracy from 1650-1750ish? Otherwise known as the height of piracy when blackbeard, captain kidd, and other famous names were running around. If anything, what is your favorite aspect/story from this time in history?

I'll go first!

You can call me Jason or Stok

He/him

Demon Slayer for TV, Dragon for Books

I am a history enthusiast and have observed a few podcasts on the subject lol. I am most familiar with the lives of blackbeard and kidd, as well as the general culture piracy produced. Naval battles interest me greatly, as well as life at sea in general. I am currently reading Moby dick.

Hey there~

Ayama here- all pronouns accepted.

I like lotsa books & shows.

Dunno much about RL pirates, though I've been wanting to watch that Netflix documentary for a minute- seems super interesting~

I like Hollywood swashbuckling though ;P

Looking forward to this RP ^^

So what's the name of Helena's ship? My character is mostly done- just need the name of the ship and I'll be able to wrap up the Port Royal and Motivation sections. Also do you have a list of player-available and DM-controlled NPCs? It'll make it easier to nail down the roles of each character on the ship, and decide if we want them to meet IC or establish backstories pre-RP.

Last edited:
Howdy! I'm Alex, They-Them.

not big on TV, I do read mostly nonfiction

i don't know a ton about pirate history, but i do know a fair bit about the other historical context of the golden age of piracy. mercantilism, colonialism, the slave trade, the triangle trade, Britain and France and Spain fighting each other, charter companies, religious reformations, and the enlightenment. i have good grips on most of these, and im so stoked for something history.

Hi! I prefer to be called Rinn.
My pronouns are They-Them
My current favourite TV series is probably The Mandalorian, and favourite book series at the moment is The Wheel of Time (Although I'm only part way through the third book. Sometimes they're a challenging read).
I honestly don't know a lot about pirate history outside of the Pirates of the Caribbean series. I'm a minor occult buff though! I'm excited to learn new things

Also, I'll pop my character sheet up asap - hopefully before I leave the house in an hour and a half to go to my Vampire the Masquerade session.

So what's the name of Helena's ship? My character is mostly done- just need the name of the ship and I'll be able to wrap up the Port Royal and Motivation sections. Also do you have a list of player-available and DM-controlled NPCs? It'll make it easier to nail down the roles of each character on the ship, and decide if we want them to meet IC or establish backstories pre-RP.
Sorry to take so long to answer, but I'm back in full swing now. Helena's main ship would be "The Harpy," and the others would likely be named after other magical monsters. Specifically ones with a witchy vibe, if you want to have come up under another of her officers.

I'll allow a little creative freedom here as I haven't written up a lot of that yet.

I don't have any full lists put together, either, but I will be working on a lore section for all of that as we write the beginning chapters. I'll include anything you come up with in your background in my final notes.

Sorry to take so long to answer, but I'm back in full swing now. Helena's main ship would be "The Harpy," and the others would likely be named after other magical monsters. Specifically ones with a witchy vibe, if you want to have come up under another of her officers.

I'll allow a little creative freedom here as I haven't written up a lot of that yet.

I don't have any full lists put together, either, but I will be working on a lore section for all of that as we write the beginning chapters. I'll include anything you come up with in your background in my final notes.
I'm thinking players will be the bulk of the crew, with maybe two characters played by me. As we get more successful, we may hire NPCs to run larger ships for the main cast.

Howdy! I'm Alex, They-Them.

not big on TV, I do read mostly nonfiction

i don't know a ton about pirate history, but i do know a fair bit about the other historical context of the golden age of piracy. mercantilism, colonialism, the slave trade, the triangle trade, Britain and France and Spain fighting each other, charter companies, religious reformations, and the enlightenment. i have good grips on most of these, and im so stoked for something history.

Love to hear it. Please share any context you have for the setting as we move forward, as most of my knowledge of the time period is decidedly naval. We'll make a good pair, good to have you!

Your idea of a disillusioned officer works great and I was hoping someone would pull for that angle. It only works if you defect, however, as all characters will have to eventually become pirates for the plot to work. Even if that IS eventual. For instance, many pirates used to raid military vessels and offer jobs before they left the ship. That could be what happens to you!

Your other idea of a Jewish person has potential as well. I love how unique it is, though you'd have to help me with historical context there a lot. Jewish mysticism has a very vibrant and interesting history im aware of too, I'd love to see if you delved into that. Let me know which idea works better for you

I am happy to share any information whatsoever that you may need! I'm planning on playing the Jewish/converso person, but if you allow for a second charictar, a captured British or french officer who later turns pirate would also be fun. About what year is this going to be, or how far off from the Spanish and Portuguese (which was about ten ish i think if i remember right years after the Spanish one) inquisitions our starting point is.

Jewish mysticism is a closed practice, and i would much rather see myself, a jew and a descendant of Jews expelled from Spain, in that role. I would do it justice.

Great- thanks for the response. I suppose we'll start plotting once all CSes are up and finished/approved?

Ayama Ayama cinnarinn cinnarinn EmperorNorton1 EmperorNorton1

So as ayama said, the roleplay will begin as soon as everyone's characters are approved. I forgot to state this in the interest check, but I prefer a two-day check in system. Meaning when it is your turn in the posting order, you have 48 hours to post. If you cannot make that window, let us know within the two days in the OOC. We will skip your turn if it doesn't interrupt anything important, or hold things for a little bit of it can't be helped. We won't wait forever though! At four days I will move the roleplay along without you, and we'll have to retcon what your character may have been doing if you're gone that long. You'll still be welcome back, however.

As long as everyone is okay with that, let's proceed.

My character will approach the players with a job, recruiting a crew for a small sloop, unassociated with any former fleet. The sloop and crew has been commissioned by none other than William Kidd. Either my character will meet you in port royal after the game commences, or has summoned you to port royal after meeting you earlier. It's up to you all, and will likely be easier to decide once I finish my character's background.

The job is to hit a very large merchant vessel which is almost always accompanied by a Spanish man-o-war. While kidd isn't in need of another full time boat, he wants to do battle with the man o war while the sloop of our characters raids the merchant vessel. We get to keep the ship as reward, and a cut of the loot, and I'd hate to spoil more of the fun from there!

EmperorNorton1 EmperorNorton1 let's go with 1717 for the year. Repeating numbers for the occult symbolism and smack dab in the middle of Blackbeard's career.

Hopefully I answered everyone's questions with this but ask more if I didn't!

Cool. I guess my character should be approached after he gets turned down from joining Helena's crew then. If anyone wants to plot backstories with Rafael whereby they know each other or of each other before the start of the RP, lmk!

Cool. I guess my character should be approached after he gets turned down from joining Helena's crew then. If anyone wants to plot backstories with Rafael whereby they know each other or of each other before the start of the RP, lmk!
I would think he'd be turned down due to his apparent lack of experience in battle? From what I gleaned in your character sheet

cinnarinn cinnarinn Ayama Ayama EmperorNorton1 EmperorNorton1 btw everyone. From what I've read so far, I'd like a little more description on your exact spells or the extents of your magical effects. Mainly limits to your powers if you want to keep things more vague. No worries if they're all works in progress like mine.

I'm bad at descriptions of magic, but basically the bonded demon is in charge of protecting Rafael and attacking at his command, so basic bloodthirsty monster type stuff. It would be able to cast a basic shadow cloaking spell, and possibly short-range teleportation.
Other than that, Raf can summon a minor imp here or there but, other than skulking around and spying on people, they ain't good for much.

I’ve updated it to more clearly outline the limitations as I realise they got a little lost in the description of her magic.

I have updated the limits, and i can add a few more examples and also a simplified source from where I took inspiration from if you'd like.

aaannnndd it's done! Aside from the picture, Sebastion Quixano is ready to roll!
Seems acceptable. If Sebastian can cast holy magic in general, is it safe to assume warding, exorcism, and spells which harm evil spirits/demons in general are within the repertoire?

Regardless, he seems perfectly acceptable to me.

I'm bad at descriptions of magic, but basically the bonded demon is in charge of protecting Rafael and attacking at his command, so basic bloodthirsty monster type stuff. It would be able to cast a basic shadow cloaking spell, and possibly short-range teleportation.
Other than that, Raf can summon a minor imp here or there but, other than skulking around and spying on people, they ain't good for much.
So what I'm more looking for is exactly what the demon is capable of. How much damage it can take before it is returned to hell, how much it can lift, how fast it can run. If it can throw fireballs. That way I know if I need to kill it with a cannonball, or dropping a house on it. After that description for the main fiend and the imp, I'll accept raf as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back