RpNation Newsletter: October 2017

RpNation

I didn't want to go swimming anyway, baka!
Administrator
rpnlogo4.png
October Newsletter
This is Halloween! This is Hallowee- OH, I uh... I didn't see you there. It's time for the October Newsletter! October is such a fun month that seems to just burst with creativity; from writing to costumes to intense horror movies. Just remember to be safe if you decide to go Trick or Treating!

Housekeeping Announcements

Many thanks to
octoberface-png.362874

Fable Fable !​

Member of the Month
This month's 'member of the month' is Alteras Alteras . He can be found helping other members in the BBCode Center, answering questions and posting lovely BBCode designs.

When did you start roleplaying? What were your early experiences like?

I started roleplaying around 4-5 years ago. It was a small email based nation builder where the central focus was a development of technology, starting from the wheel. It was very exciting and stressing because the players had to wait a week for a response from the GM.

How did you discover RpNation?

Ooo, it was about a year after the aforementioned roleplay ended that I wanted to dive back into roleplaying. At the time, the whole group was dealing with the stresses of high school, so we didn't get back together. I had already taken my exams at the time, so was willing to immerse myself in creative fun. So I ended up searching through the interwebs and came across this (which was the number two result on google at the time). It's been very fun and exciting being here on RpNation. Of course my first roleplay here was a nation builder!

What features would be in your ideal roleplay? Do you have a favorite genre?

Lately I've been into the Fantasy genre, high fantasy specifically. What my ideal roleplay would have is a well thought out and interesting world, some action and intrigue spurred and spurring along characters to move and act in ways that push them or others to the limits, and some good ole fashion fun. Of course that might be a bit too demanding considering that I roleplay in the realm of casual. My second roleplay on RpNation is probably the closest I've gotten to this. Oh and unique characters is a must!

What are some other hobbies you have besides roleplaying?

Do eating and sleeping count? No? Ok... I like to read light novels, watch anime, go for walks, and play video games. I also like to do art (pen and ink as well as pyrography) and go swimming but it’s been a while since I’ve done those.

Do you have a favorite color palette?

When I choose color palettes, I always match the image being used, but I do love this palette.

#3BB8F9

#308FDB

#F8F8F7

#94A0A4

#1B1B1B

How about favorite font?

Lucida Calligraphy will always hold a special place in my heart, but Google Font Library doesn’t have it. My favorite one that can be seen on RpNation is Great Vibes.

Are there any books or authors that have been influential to you?

Catch-22. The insanity of life is something to be laughed at and dealt with.

Other than that, its all anime, which is a list that can go on for a long time. Don't worry, I won't say it. Ya'll should read more!

Is there a book/show/movie that you’ve been excited about recently?

I’m excited for the next season of Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront) as well as the next Star Wars movie. Right now I’m enthralled in two translated light novels from Japan: Altina the Sword Princess and Isekai Mahou ha Okureteru! (The Different World Magic Is Too Behind!).

If you are dressing up for Halloween, what are you dressing up as or what would you want to have as a costume?

Unfortunately I must defend the house from the sweet seeking silhouettes of trick or treating terrors with the use of a coma-inducing can of candy. But I would love to have a costume of Professor Layton.

Got any RpNation projects? Tell us about them!

Well, in the realm of Roleplaying, I had plans with another member of RpNation to GM a post apocalyptic high fantasy faction based rp, but that got put on the back burner. As for BBCode, I’m exploring ways to create tab-like systems beyond the traditional boxy accordions and scrolling anchors. Of course that’s a secret that you can find soon in my BBCode workshop Dreams of Arcadia.

Is there any wisdom you’d like to impart to the readers of the newsletter?

Let the sorrows and anxieties of the world seep away with each word that you type.

Congratulations
34809.jpg

Alteras Alteras !​

Roleplay of the Month
This month's featured roleplay comes from the Futuristic section. Rules of Engagement: Section I is set in a universe in which humans have made contact with aliens, which results in quick advancement for humanity. However, not everyone in this complex universe is friendly.

What are some of the things that inspired you to create this roleplay?
I've always been a fan of Science Fiction, So quite a few things had inspired me to develop it. The concept began about five years ago, and I've been building upon it in my free time. But to answer the question properly, The Mass Effect Series, Halo, Dead Space, Warhammer 40k, and the novel Starship Troopers

What has made your roleplay successful?
Honestly, I'm still asking myself that question. I would like to believe it would be my descriptive writing style and well thought out and developed lore.

What do you believe are your strengths as a GM?
When focused on a single project, I can create a diverse and colorful story, that keeps the players hooked. I also run my RPs in a chapter based system as to avoid clutter and confusion.

How about weaknesses?
I can only focus on one RP at a time. If I attempt to divide my focus between other Roleplays, all things go to hell real quick, and it becomes an absolute pain to fix and get back on track. Most the time they can't be salvaged.

How do you garner interest for your roleplays?
A well thought out and descriptive overview on what it will be about, is a good start. Add a page on lore that keeps being updated helps keep the players hooked, wanting to know more about the universe that they are taking place.

How did you come about roleplaying?
My friends back home got me into it back when I was in middle school. Been hooked ever since.

A friend of mine showed it to me, and I've been hooked since.

What is the most unique roleplay you ever participated in?
Worlds of War

What stood out most?
It allowed Nation building while Being in character. Allowing for greater growth.

What is your fondest memory of roleplaying?
Possibly back in 2011 on a forum my best friend had ran (Now long dead).

What are some roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from?
Never Roleplay in First person. It pisses people off. Always be as descriptive as you can, Paint a picture with words for others to enjoy. And don't be op. Try to be balanced and sensible.

Do you have any roleplaying pet peeves? If so, what are they?
Short Posts less than a paragraph long. First Person Posts, Grammar.

Do you have any other projects in the works that you would like to share?
Not at the moment. As soon as this one dies (Hopefully a long time from now) I'll come up with something else.

Congratulations
37129.jpg

HighSanguinaryPriest HighSanguinaryPriest !​

Featured Artist
Aster Aster is our featured artist this month. Their thread - Digital - Art RP - OC scribbles - contains adorable doodles of various characters; from animated scenes to character designs.

Congratulations
23601.jpg

Aster Aster !​

Featured Discussion
We all have one thing in common here on RpNation; roleplaying! It is always interesting to see where others first began to roleplay and why. So if you want to share your Roleplay Origin Story, please join the discussion What do you like most about Roleplaying and why did you get into it.

Congratulations
49939.jpg

BackSet BackSet !​

Ending Jokes
A man got hit hard in the head with a can of 7Up. He’s alright though, it was a soft drink.

What is the most important subject a witch learns in school?
Spelling!

rpnlogo4.png

October Newsletter
This is Halloween! This is Hallowee- OH, I uh... I didn't see you there. It's time for the October Newsletter! October is such a fun month that seems to just burst with creativity; from writing to costumes to intense horror movies. Just remember to be safe if you decide to go Trick or Treating!

Housekeeping Announcements

Many thanks to
octoberface-png.362874

Fable Fable !

Member of the Month

This month's 'member of the month' is Alteras Alteras . He can be found helping other members in the BBCode Center, answering questions and posting lovely BBCode designs.

When did you start roleplaying? What were your early experiences like?

I started roleplaying around 4-5 years ago. It was a small email based nation builder where the central focus was a development of technology, starting from the wheel. It was very exciting and stressing because the players had to wait a week for a response from the GM.

Ooo, it was about a year after the aforementioned roleplay ended that I wanted to dive back into roleplaying. At the time, the whole group was dealing with the stresses of high school, so we didn't get back together. I had already taken my exams at the time, so was willing to immerse myself in creative fun. So I ended up searching through the interwebs and came across this (which was the number two result on google at the time). It's been very fun and exciting being here on RpNation. Of course my first roleplay here was a nation builder!

What features would be in your ideal roleplay? Do you have a favorite genre?

Lately I've been into the Fantasy genre, high fantasy specifically. What my ideal roleplay would have is a well thought out and interesting world, some action and intrigue spurred and spurring along characters to move and act in ways that push them or others to the limits, and some good ole fashion fun. Of course that might be a bit too demanding considering that I roleplay in the realm of casual. My second roleplay on RpNation is probably the closest I've gotten to this. Oh and unique characters is a must!

What are some other hobbies you have besides roleplaying?

Do eating and sleeping count? No? Ok... I like to read light novels, watch anime, go for walks, and play video games. I also like to do art (pen and ink as well as pyrography) and go swimming but it’s been a while since I’ve done those.

Do you have a favorite color palette?

When I choose color palettes, I always match the image being used, but I do love this palette.

#3BB8F9

#308FDB

#F8F8F7

#94A0A4

#1B1B1B

How about favorite font?

Lucida Calligraphy will always hold a special place in my heart, but Google Font Library doesn’t have it. My favorite one that can be seen on RpNation is Great Vibes.

Are there any books or authors that have been influential to you?

Catch-22. The insanity of life is something to be laughed at and dealt with.

Other than that, its all anime, which is a list that can go on for a long time. Don't worry, I won't say it. Ya'll should read more!

Is there a book/show/movie that you’ve been excited about recently?

I’m excited for the next season of Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront) as well as the next Star Wars movie. Right now I’m enthralled in two translated light novels from Japan: Altina the Sword Princess and Isekai Mahou ha Okureteru! (The Different World Magic Is Too Behind!).

If you are dressing up for Halloween, what are you dressing up as or what would you want to have as a costume?

Unfortunately I must defend the house from the sweet seeking silhouettes of trick or treating terrors with the use of a coma-inducing can of candy. But I would love to have a costume of Professor Layton.

Got any RpNation projects? Tell us about them!

Well, in the realm of Roleplaying, I had plans with another member of RpNation to GM a post apocalyptic high fantasy faction based rp, but that got put on the back burner. As for BBCode, I’m exploring ways to create tab-like systems beyond the traditional boxy accordions and scrolling anchors. Of course that’s a secret that you can find soon in my BBCode workshop Dreams of Arcadia.

Is there any wisdom you’d like to impart to the readers of the newsletter?

Let the sorrows and anxieties of the world seep away with each word that you type.

Congratulations
34809.jpg

Alteras Alteras !

Roleplay of the Month

This month's featured roleplay comes from the Futuristic section. Rules of Engagement: Section I is set in a universe in which humans have made contact with aliens, which results in quick advancement for humanity. However, not everyone in this complex universe is friendly.

What are some of the things that inspired you to create this roleplay?
I've always been a fan of Science Fiction, So quite a few things had inspired me to develop it. The concept began about five years ago, and I've been building upon it in my free time. But to answer the question properly, The Mass Effect Series, Halo, Dead Space, Warhammer 40k, and the novel Starship Troopers

What has made your roleplay successful?
Honestly, I'm still asking myself that question. I would like to believe it would be my descriptive writing style and well thought out and developed lore.

What do you believe are your strengths as a GM?
When focused on a single project, I can create a diverse and colorful story, that keeps the players hooked. I also run my RPs in a chapter based system as to avoid clutter and confusion.

How about weaknesses?
I can only focus on one RP at a time. If I attempt to divide my focus between other Roleplays, all things go to hell real quick, and it becomes an absolute pain to fix and get back on track. Most the time they can't be salvaged.

How do you garner interest for your roleplays?
A well thought out and descriptive overview on what it will be about, is a good start. Add a page on lore that keeps being updated helps keep the players hooked, wanting to know more about the universe that they are taking place.

How did you come about roleplaying?
My friends back home got me into it back when I was in middle school. Been hooked ever since.

A friend of mine showed it to me, and I've been hooked since.

What is the most unique roleplay you ever participated in?
Worlds of War

What stood out most?
It allowed Nation building while Being in character. Allowing for greater growth.

What is your fondest memory of roleplaying?
Possibly back in 2011 on a forum my best friend had ran (Now long dead).

What are some roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from?
Never Roleplay in First person. It pisses people off. Always be as descriptive as you can, Paint a picture with words for others to enjoy. And don't be op. Try to be balanced and sensible.

Do you have any roleplaying pet peeves? If so, what are they?
Short Posts less than a paragraph long. First Person Posts, Grammar.

Do you have any other projects in the works that you would like to share?
Not at the moment. As soon as this one dies (Hopefully a long time from now) I'll come up with something else.

Congratulations
37129.jpg

HighSanguinaryPriest HighSanguinaryPriest !

Featured Artist

Aster Aster is our featured artist this month. Their thread - Digital - Art RP - OC scribbles - contains adorable doodles of various characters; from animated scenes to character designs.

Congratulations
23601.jpg

Aster Aster !

Featured Discussion

We all have one thing in common here on RpNation; roleplaying! It is always interesting to see where others first began to roleplay and why. So if you want to share your Roleplay Origin Story, please join the discussion What do you like most about Roleplaying and why did you get into it.

Congratulations
49939.jpg

BackSet BackSet !

Ending Jokes

A man got hit hard in the head with a can of 7Up. He’s alright though, it was a soft drink.

What is the most important subject a witch learns in school?
Spelling!

The last joke killed me. I'm just a soul without a body now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back