HXFYXnj.png

Jan2021-Bue-Morpho.png

March Donation Badge by @Fyuri

BakaTheIdiot BakaTheIdiot ― Featured Discussion
@MitsuMitsu ― Featured Artist

dirt dirt ― Featured BBCoder
The Dreamer of the Lore The Dreamer of the Lore ― Featured Writing

Javax Javax ― Member of the Month
When did you start roleplaying? Where was it? Did you enjoy it at first?
Crazy to think it's already been so long, but I started roleplaying back in 2013 on a silly site called Quotev (previously Quizazz for those old enough). I'd originally started out by just writing chapter stories, sometimes doing collabs with others, and it eventually evolved into doing RPs as well. I'm not 100% sure how it started, but I do remember being crazy obsessed with Minecraft at the time and deciding to RP with friends and followers alike in a Minecraft setting using my OC. I found it very fun, and it's definitely a different experience from writing stories and sharing them with others! I ended up enjoying it so much that I started searching for RPs on different sites, too, such as FanFiction.net.

How did you discover RpNation?
Quotev started going downhill and a lot of people were leaving, so I decided to continue my roleplay efforts elsewhere since I'd been doing it for two years by that point. A simple Google search for a "roleplay site" brought up RpNation, and I've been hooked ever since.

What are your favorite genres/settings to roleplay in?
Definitely fantasy! I am a sucker for fantasy RPs, specifically those in Medieval settings. There's something enticing about being thrust into a world trying to survive the perils of that which we've learned to overcome (medicine vs disease, poverty and hierarchies, questionable morals and ethics, the evolution of technology, etc.) whilst including the parts of our imagination that make it more interesting, such as mythological creatures and magic. I also always find myself drawn towards dark fantasy, and I'm not quite sure why.

What are some other hobbies you have besides roleplaying?
I enjoy writing and working on my book, but that's pretty much a given lol. Other things I find myself enjoying are playing video games (PC and occasionally VR and PlayStation), reading, working on cars and going to car shows, and collecting knives and swords.

Are you excited about any books, shows, or other related elements of media? What are they?
I'll be honest, it's difficult to find things to be excited about nowadays what with COVID and the recent winter storm, but I will say that (relatively) recently, one of my favorite authors released a new book in the series that got me addicted to reading in the first place! The new book is called Viper's Daughter by Michelle Paver, which came out last year nearly 11 years after the final book in the series. I haven't started reading it yet, despite having bought it literally the day it came out, because I was in the middle of reading another series by another author, and I want to reread the series to remember what's going on. Time's been weird, but I'm finally reading the second book, and I'm super excited to be back in this world again! In case anyone's interested, the series is called The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness and consists of seven books, including Viper's Daughter.

What is your favorite part of RpNation?
Honestly depends on the day! I really enjoy looking at the creative corner to look at artists' works (while simultaneously holding myself back from spending hundreds of dollars on commissions), but I also find myself browsing the fantasy interest checks to look at all the different ideas people come up with. The boundlessness of a community of imaginative individuals continues to astound me!

What era would you want to be born in and why?
I don't think I'd stray from our current era, honestly. As crazy as the past few generations have been (and will be), I don't think I'm particularly fond of going back in time and having to fight off simple diseases, oppression, and sexism lol. If I were to go back in time and view things as a spectator, however, I'd definitely look back on the Medieval Era to see things myself. I'd love to see how they managed things without technology, such as blacksmithing, building cities and infrastructure, and warfare. Even though a lot has already been answered, it's still intriguing to see what it looked like.

If you could only wear one color for the rest of your life, which color would it be and why?
I'm already on track to wearing black for the rest of my life lmao. And even though I don't show it outwardly, my edgy emo side still lives within me and has evolved into a sort of gothic love. (Not to mention that it matches my "Shadow" aesthetic.)

Got any RpNation projects that you would like to share?
Not really, no. With working full time and having to be a responsible adult (ew), I tend to not have much time for many things. I tried to join a couple group RPs in the past few months, but they either fell apart or never started. As of right now, I'm only in two 1x1 RPs... Sorta. One is on a weird hiatus because my friend's been super busy with work and DMing our D&D sessions (shoutout to my twin @Federoff ), but I'm willing to wait however long he needs. The other 1x1's been going strong for over a year now, and I'm genuinely enjoying it! (and shoutout to one of the best RP partners ever Melpomene Melpomene )

What advice do you have for the newsletter readers?
Never stop pushing, and never be afraid to ask for help! I had a rough life growing up, and there were lots of times that I found myself stuck, hopeless and afraid that I'd never make it anywhere. Even now, I end up feeling lost, what with the whole pandemic destroying my degree field right before I graduated. But I'm still kickin' even after everything life threw at me, and a lot of it is thanks to the friends that have helped me along the way, both directly and from afar. There's nothing wrong with picking yourself up and fighting things alone, but always remember that you never have to fight things alone.

Kio.exe Kio.exe ― Roleplay of the Month
What are some of the things that inspired you to create Hartley University?
Honestly? A few friends and I got together, looking for a new roleplay, something college based. At the time, there weren’t really any that caught our eye, and as I had GM’d before, I was asked to make one!! Hartley comes from what I picture the basic American college experience to be, with its ups and downs, good times and drama. As a soon to be Freshman in college myself, the roleplay was inspired by how I hope my experience will be like!

What has made your roleplay successful?
Having a good community of writers is what has made us successful! I wouldn’t have been able to start and develop this roleplay without the help of the others involved. We’re really active out of character, allowing us to form relationships. All planning and plotting is also a collaborative effort, which ensures that interest isn’t lost and that everyone is happy! This being said, I believe that community is what has made us successful, as well as clear communication.

How do you maintain stability and comfort between roleplayers that have been in the roleplay since the beginning vs. new roleplayers that just joined the group?
Most of the people in the roleplay have been here since the beginning, seeing as we were closed for a period of time, so we’re a really close-knit group!! There have been a few new members, and they were received with open arms. It’s kind of like they’ve always been there—we don’t really see that much of a difference!! Most of us know each other already, as we’ve been in other threads with each other. We just opened up again, so I expect any new members that join will feel the same!

Is there ever a time that someone feels left out? If so, how do you handle it?
I’d like to think that Hartley is very inclusive!! As we’re all close friends, no one is really ever left out, but if someone is offline while we’re plotting, or is ever in danger of being left out, one of us will tag them and make sure their characters are included!! As I said before, our community is very good at communicating with one another, so we don’t really run into too many issues!

How did you start roleplaying?
I began roleplaying in the most embarrassing places when I was in middle school! My first ever roleplay was a warrior cats slice of life roleplay based in the review sections of ebooks on my kindle when I was in sixth grade, I’m ashamed to admit. I’d always loved writing, and when I stumbled upon roleplaying by accident, I immediately fell in love. I’d definitely like to think that I’ve developed as a writer since.

How did you discover RpNation?
RPNation is the first actual roleplaying forum I’ve been a part of!! I took a long break from roleplaying when I started highschool, and only just recently (last July) picked it back up!! I actually stumbled upon the site by accident, and began scrolling through the threads! I’ve been an active member ever since!

What is the most unique roleplay you ever participated in? What stood out most?
The most unique roleplay I’ve ever been a part of was Hollywood Arts, a slice of life high school roleplay that I joined when I first discovered RPNation. It was my first ever serious roleplay, and I loved the community, characters and plots! It was very well organized, interesting and active, something I look for in every roleplay I join!

What is your fondest memory of roleplaying? I have too many to count, though one stands out to me the most. When I first came up with Hartley, I was nervous and still semi-new to being a GM, so I wasn’t very confident I would be successful. When the first few people joined, however, I was greeted with such positivity and kindness that instantly I felt better!! We had so much fun plotting with our characters before their sheets had even been finished! We came up with so many wacky scenarios and had lots of laughs, it was definitely one of my fondest memories on the site.

What are some roleplaying tips and tricks you think others could benefit from? How do you garner interest for your roleplays?
The most important thing, I think, is to have well developed characters! If my characters aren’t as fully developed as possible, I find I have a hard time writing for them. Making a character playlist also helps when it comes to inspiration! And don’t be too hard on yourself—try not to rewrite a section of a post ten times and get frustrated when it doesn’t come out the way you want it!! Usually, when I make a roleplay I garner interest by making the description as shown on the interest check relatable, comical or attention grabbing! I tend to insert anecdotes or funny quips, and that usually grabs the attention of any potential members!!

Do you have any roleplaying pet peeves? What are they?
I have a few roleplaying pet peeves, underdeveloped characters and one liners being a few. I completely understand that everyone is at a different level of writing, and that’s completely fine, but when it comes to my roleplays I tend to look for members who write characters and posts to the best of their abilities!! When I can tell someone put zero effort into what they create, it rubs me in the wrong direction. Other than that, I don’t really have any pet peeves!
What is your favorite animal, and why?
My favorite animal is definitely a giraffe! I’ve just always thought they were super cool and unique, and super cute on top of all of that!!

Do you have something in mind for your next roleplay? Can we get a few hints?
A few friends of mine have asked for an adult slice of life roleplay, so if I were to make another roleplay, it would be something like that!! I don’t really have any details fleshed out at the moment, though.

Congratulations everyone! It’s been awesome reading and viewing everyone’s writing and creativity!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back