Other RpN Con

Just wondering, who's interested in having a RpN Con? I haven't talked to Wizard or anyone about it, just gauging interest because I would love to have one.

I would be - and it's something we've definitely talked about - but not one likely happening in the near future. Even just a venue and security would be incredibly expensive!

But I do think it'd be a great chance to meet other RpN members! I'm clinging onto prayers for one someday, heh~

I think I might like it but I don't think it's a very good idea- after all, RPN has members from all over the world

Meh, considering I'm antisocial on cameras, I would probably be walking around with my Oni Mask on.

I probably wouldn't be able to attend... I live in Europe and due to my financial situation, I couldn't afford a trip to the U.S. To be fair, I don't really wanna visit USA (due to personal reasons)

Cool but sadly I live in a totalitarian dictatorship so I can't visit it.

Or what about you come to me here in Astana!

I have a great deal of experience with roleplaying conventions, but in the event such a thing happened in the US (and why wouldn't it, really) I'd probably be little to no help. 

I'd consider going to a con, if it was on the US West Coast, that way I wouldn't have to buy a plane ticket lol.

You guys want security? Well I'll be one of the guards, all I ask is that you feed me, literally don't even have to pay me cuz I love this site.

Another forum I belong to did meet-ups.  The basic way they did it was by scouting out a location for the estimated number of people.   Usually a large vacation rental that could sleep like 16 people, then they basically calculated up how much it would cost per person, to pay for the stay, food, ect.   If those 16 people all committed, and paid by a certain date it meant that they would each be paying around $200, usually. Higher for private rooms, or even beds.  Sometimes more or less regardless of that, depending on if people fell through or not, as well as the cost of the place.

That of course, does not include how much that individual paid for a plane ticket, driving, or anything else they personally wanted.  One time they also said "Hey if you pay $50 optionally on top of that, we'll go to <insert event here> together, using group pricing."

I did not wind up going due to work (and they already had it well paid off and I was a last minute possibility for lower cost anyway) but it's something possible that you could do something like that and then have people also stay in hotels and just meet at the place/or other places, for games or dinner or whatever.  But, you're still asking for a large number of people to promise and pay a certain amount of money by a certain time and one or two people taking charge of organizing and putting forth the money in advance, usually, not knowing if they would get it all paid for.

With the number of people on here, I'd say you would wind up with a lot of interest but a lot of failed commitment.  So it's high risk.  However if you could get those people to commit to a set amount some time before booking the venue, it could work.  It was a smaller community that did this, and most of them were close friends and knew each other a long time.  

For a large scale con though, the risk is much higher and you're still probably looking at a costly affair for the individual.  My recommendation would be to rent a small event hall, like a lodge, or campsite if you did and possibly contact the owners about groups paying for individual cabins, ect on their own.

Meet ups at existing cons might work, to represent the British contingent I generally go to London ComicCon and that's held twice a year. It could work by picking a date and time to assemble say in front of the Subway inside the convention centre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back