• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

RpN 2.0 -Teaser-

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaughterofAthena said:
Will it be possible to look at someone else's post and see what buttons they used to produce a certain effect? Currently, it is possible to hit reply and see the bbcode that was used in a post making it possible for someone else to try to replicate it and I find that to be a valuable feature. Will it still be possible without directly asking the person who posted the post to see the features (codes is a term I want to use, but it says bbcode won't exist anymore so features seemed like a better word) they used? Sometimes people disappear from the site so asking directly is not always possible.
I'm not sure. It's very likely we won't take action in terms of plagiarism, since it's near impossible on the new site. If you saw something that another person made, it would be very easy to replicate it with the new buttons. You wouldn't really need a tutorial.

[QUOTE="Fukushima Akira]Ah, okay. I guess I won't be doing accordion after the update then, because I have an OCD with the accordion that I have now, which I finally have perfect, so any variations will just mess with me.

[/QUOTE]
You have an obsessive compulsive disorder with the accordion? What? :P

I doubt it will be that much different. You can change the colour and everything like you can now, so I don't see the problem.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]No more coding, there is no bbcode parser built into the editor. The one requiring a popup interface is just for the big ones like accordion but basic ones like background colors and other stuff is just as simple as selecting the text and clicking the button.
The BBCode langauge is a dead language from the 90s and its become increasingly difficult to maintain and make new ones. Most modern software have already begun dropping support for it and we will do the same. Its the same effects you are used to seeing/using, just applied faster/easier. I guess it could be a pain if you dislike interacting with the editor.

[/QUOTE]
Will we be able to make things like macros for the new system? Like instead of having to do some sick parkour of my mouse cursor I can just bind the different features to macro-keys on my keyboard. I'm guessing it'll take some fairly fancy software on my part, but would it be possible?

Sunkissed said:
I'm not sure. It's very likely we won't take action in terms of plagiarism, since it's near impossible on the new site. If you saw something that another person made, it would be very easy to replicate it with the new buttons. You wouldn't really need a tutorial.

I doubt it will be that much different. You can change the colour and everything like you can now, so I don't see the problem.
Yeah, like I have to have everything perfect whenever I'm posting the code. For instance, here's what one of my posts looks like, albeit without anything actually done to it:

oie_transparent%209_zpsquw3ygnp.png

Character image goes here

...♅Akira♅...

no slide no slide no slide

The accordion matches with the post, in terms of background, colour and font. The accordion is also at the bottom of my post, directly in the centre, which matches with both of the images at the top of the post. If anything changed with that, I'd just go back to using this as a post:

...♅Akira♅...

Sunkissed said:

That is not what I was asking. I am not concerned with plagarism in this instance because I do not and have not ever intended to directly copy someone's work... merely learn how to produce the effects they made.

With BBcode, if I hit reply to a heavily coded post, I can see the exact codes they used and the exact order they were used in making it fairly easy for me to try to replicate the effect.

I am asking if the new editor will have a feature that allows other users to see the exact codes/features/buttons a person used in their post so that the effect could be replicated by another user?

DaughterofAthena said:
That is not what I was asking. I am not concerned with plagarism in this instance because I do not and have not ever intended to directly copy someone's work... merely learn how to produce the effects they made.
With BBcode, if I hit reply to a heavily coded post, I can see the exact codes they used and the exact order they were used in making it fairly easy for me to try to replicate the effect.

I am asking if the new editor will have a feature that allows other users to see the exact codes/features/buttons a person used in their post so that the effect could be replicated by another user?
Oh yes, I apologise, I wasn't saying that you were. It was simply something I added in.

As I said before, you could easily see what they used by just looking at it. You wouldn't need to take it apart- the coding is very simple to understand compared to BBCode.

There will be a new BBCode guide with examples of what the codes do and what they look like, all you have to do is press the buttons to get your desired effect.

[QUOTE="Fukushima Akira]Yeah, like I have to have everything perfect whenever I'm posting the code. For instance, here's what one of my posts looks like, albeit without anything actually done to it:

oie_transparent%209_zpsquw3ygnp.png

Character image goes here

...♅Akira♅...

no slide no slide no slide no slide no slide no slide

The accordion matches with the post, in terms of background, colour and font. The accordion is also at the bottom of my post, directly in the centre, which matches with both of the images at the top of the post. If anything changed with that, I'd just go back to using this as a post:

...♅Akira♅...

[/QUOTE]
It'll be the same. Don't worry :D

Last edited by a moderator:
TrippyVirus said:
So... What are the new BBCodes?
All the features we have now should be carried over.

I think the new ones are supposed to be a surprise. ^^

Sunkissed said:
Oh yes, I apologise, I wasn't saying that you were. It was simply something I added in.
As I said before, you could easily see what they used by just looking at it. You wouldn't need to take it apart- the coding is very simple to understand compared to BBCode.

There will be a new BBCode guide with examples of what the codes do and what they look like, all you have to do is press the buttons to get your desired effect.

So we won't be able to produce complex effects anymore? Anything that combines multiple effects is not currently readily identifiable by just looking at the post so either you are implying that we are losing the ability to combine codes or that a background color around tabs within an accordion in a border is "simple". I am not sure which you mean.

Even if all the effects are listed in a guide, the results of combining them in various ways is something I am guessing will not be included. Therefore, it will still be possible to run into something and want to know how it was done.

I am going to change the question to make this potentially easier. Say user A uses a cool font that I would like to use. I do not know the name of the font and browsing the font library for it would take hours. Will there be a way in the new editor without asking user A for me to find out what font they used?

The BBCode deaths will stop... Behold, the modern world.

DaughterofAthena said:
So we won't be able to produce complex effects anymore? Anything that combines multiple effects is not currently readily identifiable by just looking at the post so either you are implying that we are losing the ability to combine codes or that a background color around tabs within an accordion in a border is "simple". I am not sure which you mean.
I am going to change the question to make this potentially easier. Say user A uses a cool font that I would like to use. I do not know the name of the font and browsing the font library for it would take hours. Will there be a way in the new editor without asking user A for me to find out what font they used?
The new editor does not have the function to use tags like the bbcode editor we have now. That is, [ code] [/code] tags. Instead with the press of a button, the feature itself appears (and for things like tabs and accordions and etc. you have to input the text like the gif wiz provided shows.)

So, you can hit the reply button and get someone else's post, but you won't be able to see what font they used from code tags because the tags won't exist anymore. I'm sure there'll be other ways, such as hitting the reply button and then editing the existing fancy font.

You will also be able to combine different effects. You will be able to have accordions in tabs and so on. It'll be similar to the bbcode features we have now, just think of it as just the input method being different. ^^

Sunkissed said:

Ah, okay :D Thanks for letting me know :DD!

Ghost said:
The new editor does not have the function to use tags like the bbcode editor we have now. That is, [ code] [/code] tags. Instead with the press of a button, the feature itself appears (and for things like tabs and accordions and etc. you have to input the text like the gif wiz provided shows.)
So, you can hit the reply button and get someone else's post, but you won't be able to see what font they used from code tags because the tags won't exist anymore. I'm sure there'll be other ways, such as hitting the reply button and then editing the existing fancy font.

You will also be able to combine different effects. You will be able to have accordions in tabs and so on. It'll be similar to the bbcode features we have now, just think of it as just the input method being different. ^^
So yay or nay: will I be able to determine what kind of font they used without directly asking them or browsing the font library?

I already understand that there will not be code and I was under the impression that effects would still be combinable. I merely mentioned them because my question has already been misunderstood.

All I want to know is if I will be able to identify the font used in a post that was not posted by myself. That is literally all I am asking at this point.

I've been reading the last 12 pages of chat and tbh I'm really excited but nervous about the new editor. But my question is, what are Marcos? People kept referring to them and I have no clue what they are.

:/​

DaughterofAthena said:
So yay or nay: will I be able to determine what kind of font they used without directly asking them or browsing the font library?
I already understand that there will not be code and I was under the impression that effects would still be combinable. I merely mentioned them because my question has already been misunderstood.

All I want to know is if I will be able to identify the font used in a post that was not posted by myself. That is literally all I am asking at this point.
Like I said, you probably won't be able to see the font name, but you will be able to copy it.

Yay, finall THANK YOU you have no idea how hard it is to do BBC codes when you're on a tablet most of the time ^^ so much love, thank you for your hard work!

My unpopular opinion, despite coming from a non-coder: I'm looking forward to the new editor. I've never enjoyed having to put more work into my presentation than the actual content of my work, and I find it kind of hilarious that people might just base some hierarchal structure on how pretty your bbcode is (although it's unsurprising).

I mean, if there will be less elitism in some circles because of this, I'll take it, even if it makes some people unhappy. (Sorry.) I really get liking to code and sometimes it's relaxing for me—I avoid it because I don't know it well enough and I don't like doing it for anyone but myself—but this is meant to be a move forward.

I'm sure you can still use the code somewhere.

As an aside, I'm most psyched about the mobile app. I'm sure it's been answered already (and I might get my answer by going back), but is it only going to be iOS, or are there plans to support both iOS and Android?

edit: I found my answer regarding platforms for the app, but I'm wondering: the new editor will be on the website, but do you/we have any information available about what editing will be like on the app yet?

I don't see myself doing heavy coding on my phone, but I'm wondering about the capabilities nonetheless, since I'm likely to use the app when it's released.

@DaughterofAthena

CTRL+U opens up a web page's source code in most browsers. Since the new editor uses html instead of bbcode, this is what I assume, in my ignorance of further detail, the method you should use to study other people's posts.

Sunkissed said:
Of course it will look a bit different, but it will provide the same purpose as what you're using now.
Phew-man-575.jpg

Adding the codes to insert spoilers and the like will all be all done using these buttons I take it? Good. I had an issue with the spoiler bbcoding where random spoilers would just add themselves for seemingly no reason. Took me some time to figure out the bbcoding to prevent the invasion of the spoilers. Only got the hang of bbcoding a few months ago.

Despite this, I'm a bit skeptical about the update, but that's probably becuase I'm a grumpy old man living the life of a 20 year old.

802681_259.jpg

I'm sure I'll get used to it when it actually comes out and I get to play around with it.

Woo! I can't wait.

The rich text editor has definitely been frustrating at times, so I'm excited to see the improvements to that.

Also YES I can change the colours again! Super excited.

@The Dark Wizard

If the system that guides all BB code is being replaced, doesn't that mean that every post that currently has BB code will essentially break/scatter/deformat? -- And therefore, every thread will have to be essentially recreated?

Looking forward to the updates though.

I am mostly hype. I really like the idea of more profile customization, I don't even know why, but I want. The same goes for the nyte life being able to read late at night without being blinded. I've looked forward to that one from the start. Also, push notifications. Need I say more. Push notifications. I like the idea of a better search, but I'm kinda confused about the "more powerful activity system that can be tailored to your exact needs" will this replace, or be in a similar place to, the tags of simple, casual, detailed? If not, I have no idea what this means. Also, if it will replace/be side by side with the three we have now, how? Will there be more, or, hm, subtags? Like a three tags beneath detailed; light detailed, medium detailed, heavy detailed?

With all the hype there is some worry for the BBCode, I totally understand that the code is outdated and more broken and cumbersome than not, but I really don't like button pressing. I get that this system will likely come, but I just really prefer to type out any code I couldn't do with a shortcut, because it breaks up my flow a lot. I know something was said about possibly adding more of them, so I'm really hyped about that. Also about more people being able to code more. That's, that's just goodness to me.

Basically, I am 90% hype, 7% change! and 3% weary. But then, all change this major makes me weary, and mostly I love the end result. also more cntrl + stuff being mentioned really calmed me down

Oh and insta saves! No more waiting half a minute just to be sure the thing remembers your thing! Love that so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back