• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

RpN 2.0 -Teaser-

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I have a post like this one, and I want to identify the font used in it with the new editor, will i just be able to highlight a piece of text and then paste it into the editor and... it will just keep that font? Am I understanding this correctly?

Furthermore, if I highlight the whole post, even though the highlight only highlights the bar of the accordion, it will paste the whole accordion with its contents and everything? Even though it's not possible for me to highlight the whole contents of the accordion when the accordion is not open? This is my current understanding of everyone saying that the code will just copy and paste and I can't help but think there's so many things that don't seem right with this. Can someone please explain?

welian said:
As Dwiz said earlier in the thread, accordions are the worst. One missed bracket, and it affects the HTML of the entire page - and if it gets reported, even the staff-only report center, which isn't even part of the forums!
That, and the new forum will be programming differently. See, with BBcode, there's a "parser", which recognizes the tags and says "Okay, apply this effect, and this one". By moving the new site to an HTML-based editor, we're removing the middleman entirely, which will remove a potential point of failure in the system.
Will we be able to customize accordions as much as we can now? I like being able to incorporate color into everything. No color, aka grey and boring like the demonstration, is not how I want my posts to appear.

Anaxileah said:
Will we be able to customize accordions as much as we can now?
Truthfully, I don't know. That's not one of the things I played around with on the devsite, I was more enamored with tables.

I'm pretty disappointed to hear that there won't be an option to manually type in bbcode. I very much like that the Rich Text Editor is getting an upgrade for people who don't know code, but I (and I'm sure others) do know how to code. The option to use our knowledge was really useful.

If the issue is that bbcode is out-dated, can't you replace it with html functionality instead? (There's always been some coding things that html does and bbcode doesn't that I've wanted to try.)

I often draft my posts on code friendly apps like Notepad - removing the coding functionality means more work for me.

Jaye said:
I'm pretty disappointed to hear that there won't be an option to manually type in bbcode. I very much like that the Rich Text Editor is getting an upgrade for people who don't know code, but I (and I'm sure others) do know how to code. The option to use our knowledge was really useful.
If the issue is that bbcode is out-dated, can't you replace it with html functionality instead? (There's always been some coding things that html does and bbcode doesn't that I've wanted to try.)

I often draft my posts on code friendly apps like Notepad - removing the coding functionality means more work for me.
The new editor uses html. :b it uses something called parsing, and the available codes are whitelisted (meaning you can only use the ones that are selected to be available on the site) but i can't tell you more since i don't actually know much about coding or building websites.

But the ability to type in tags like <i></i> won't exist, but it's not by wiz's choice- it just doesn't come with the new editor, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghost said:
The new editor uses html. :b it uses something called parsing, and the available codes are whitelisted (meaning you can only use the ones that are selected to be available on the site) but i can't tell you more since i don't actually know much about coding or building websites.
But the ability to type in tags like <i></i> won't exist, but it's not by wiz's choice- it just doesn't come with the new editor, unfortunately.
Thank you (:3)
Yay for html! Still lots of upset at not being able to directly code.

idk what the problem is with making coding more accessible to more people. How the heck does it "ruin the effect" if someone codes manually versus with an editor? That is just elitist thinking and sucks the fun out for everyone.

I absolutely love the idea of an editor that just drops in the codes for anyone to use without any practice required. It'll make a great addition to the site because there will be more people using the codes to make their roleplays look exactly how they always wanted them to look when before, they didn't know how to do it.

I'm just all for accessibility

Jaye said:
This. This is what I agree with. And I use accordions to make everything look pretty, one can see that in the link in my signature. I prefer this. I don't like tabs or anything else, because they lack color and ways to make everything more visually appealing.

Anaxileah said:
This. This is what I agree with. And I use accordions to make everything look pretty, one can see that in the link in my signature. I prefer this. I don't like tabs or anything else, because they lack color and ways to make everything more visually appealing.
Again, we're not just taking away the ability to type code just because we feel like it. The forums after the update won't support it.

zanarkand said:
idk what the problem is with making coding more accessible to more people. How the heck does it "ruin the effect" if someone codes manually versus with an editor? That is just elitist thinking and sucks the fun out for everyone.
I absolutely love the idea of an editor that just drops in the codes for anyone to use without any practice required. It'll make a great addition to the site because there will be more people using the codes to make their roleplays look exactly how they always wanted them to look when before, they didn't know how to do it.

How dare you be reasonable :P !

I can't punish you just yet because your crime is so heinous that no existing site rules cover it. I will get back to you once I deliberate with the entirety of staff.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]How dare you be reasonable :P !
I can't punish you just yet because your crime is so heinous that no existing site rules cover it. I will get back to you once I deliberate with the entirety of staff.

[/QUOTE]
mOdErAtOr wElIaN SuGgEsTs sTiCkY CaPiTaL PuNiShMeNt.

Guillotine.jpg

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]How dare you be reasonable :P !

[/QUOTE]
Oh god xD .

What are you gonna do? Put him in the rpn jail cell for a few minutes?

Well if you have one...a jail cell that is.

zanarkand said:

??? ???????? ?? ????

I'm sort of going to assume that you're not responding to my posts on the matter, especially because I explicitly said that I like that the editor is getting an upgrade for people who don't know how to manually code. That's a good thing, that's awesome.

I'm upset that other people's accessibility comes at my expense and I wish there was a way we could co-exist. My proposed solution was never to get rid of the new, more accessible option. My solution was to see if manual coding could be additionally implemented.

The answer seems to be that "the new editor won't allow it" which I assume means that RPN is buying the licence to a text editor, and the licence they're buying doesn't include a manual input function for reasons. My query would be - is reimplementing manual coding something RPN is at all interesting in looking into in future updates? (As my voice was not the only voice of dissent, there's clearly a market for the option of manual coding).

Jaye said:
I'm upset that other people's accessibility comes at my expense and I wish there was a way we could co-exist. My proposed solution was never to get rid of the new, more accessible option. My solution was to see if manual coding could be additionally implemented.
The answer seems to be that "the new editor won't allow it" which I assume means that RPN is buying the licence to a text editor, and the licence they're buying doesn't include a manual input function for reasons. My query would be - is reimplementing manual coding something RPN is at all interesting in looking into in future updates? (As my voice was not the only voice of dissent, there's clearly a market for the option of manual coding).
The option to manually type in BBCode was not removed because of the new editor - other things in the update made the site incompatible with parsing.

The entire site > Typing in BBCode, as I've said before.

Some things, such as the BBCode we're using right now, are very old. Backwards compatibility, at some point, hits a wall where it just doesn't work anymore.

As for reimplementing manual coding being something RpN would be interested in - if it was a feasible option, I can't see why we wouldn't, it's not like the staff take things away just because they can. To my knowledge, though, the ability to use manual coding just isn't something that's going to be possible.

That's more of a question for @The Dark Wizard .

Jaye said:
??? ???????? ?? ????
I'm sort of going to assume that you're not responding to my posts on the matter, especially because I explicitly said that I like that the editor is getting an upgrade for people who don't know how to manually code. That's a good thing, that's awesome.

The BBCode Parser (engine) is not included in new software/updates because the bbcode langauge is a dead one from the 90s. It didn't go away because I willed it, it just means that the editor/software updates don't include it anymore. We are trying our very best to be accommodating though :) !

@Jaye

I wasn't replying to you. Just the general vibe that i got from some people that doing it by hand = totally better and there's no reason why anyone needs an editor.

html/css would be cool though but maybe not bbcode because it's true that it's outdated

zanarkand said:
I wasn't replying to you. Just the general vibe that i got from some people that doing it by hand = totally better and there's no reason why anyone needs an editor.
Its just stuff people are used to, like everything else, everyone will get used to it. The site as usual will continue to be updated and advance into the future, its one of the reasons why RpN has become one of the largest and most active RP forums on the internet. I know I'm snarky in this thread but I'm just so disappointed, considering the friendly atmosphere that we the staff and the community at large have fostered, it shocks me to see that some users don't want everyone to have access to codes.

zanarkand said:
@Jaye

html/css would be cool though but maybe not bbcode because it's true that it's outdated
Excuse me, then (':3)

Manually is certainly not for everyone, and heck yeah for accessability. But, yeah, html/css would be groovy.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]The BBCode Parser (engine) is not included in new software/updates because the bbcode langauge is a dead one from the 90s. It didn't go away because I willed it, it just means that the editor/software updates don't include it anymore. We are trying our very best to be accommodating though :) !

[/QUOTE][QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Its just stuff people are used to, like everything else, everyone will get used to it. The site as usual will continue to be updated and advance into the future, its one of the reasons why RpN has become one of the largest and most active RP forums on the internet. I know I'm snarky in this thread but I'm just so disappointed, considering the friendly atmosphere that we the staff and the community at large have fostered, it shocks me to see that some users don't want everyone to have access to codes.

[/QUOTE]
(Maybe I should've tagged you in my original response to this thread ( ;) ) )

What do you think of (either in this update or future updates) including an option for manual html coding?

It won't solve the issue of people's templates now being outdated, but that's just because the entire language is outdated. But it would mean that people who manually code for whatever reason (drafting posts, prior knowledge of coding language, finding manual coding simpler than the 'click and drag' most 'Rich Text' requires) have an option.

(Honestly isn't bbcode just a simpler version of html anyway? I'm pretty sure I went from bbcode to html to css, jumping off each language's back. With maybe a detour into .py ( :P ) )

Meredith said:
The option to manually type in BBCode was not removed because of the new editor - other things in the update made the site incompatible with parsing.
The entire site > Typing in BBCode, as I've said before.

Some things, such as the BBCode we're using right now, are very old. Backwards compatibility, at some point, hits a wall where it just doesn't work anymore.

As for reimplementing manual coding being something RpN would be interested in - if it was a feasible option, I can't see why we wouldn't, it's not like the staff take things away just because they can. To my knowledge, though, the ability to use manual coding just isn't something that's going to be possible.

That's more of a question for @The Dark Wizard .
((I did not see this, sorry)).

I think some confusion has arisen somewhere - I am upset at the lost ability to manually code. Not specifically to manually code bbcode. My upset was/is that, upon coming across the issue of "BBCode is outdated, we need to work on a new editor system" the response was "Here's an option that doesn't use BBCode and doesn't allow for manual coding" instead of "Here's an option that doesn't use BBCode but still has the option for manually coding the new language we're using".

The Dark Wizard seems to know what they're talking about, and maybe there'll be future announcements that quell my opinion. But as of this current update; I'm upset that RPN is loosing the option to manually code. I hope manual coding will be reimplimented.

I also agree on the wish to have an editor that not only appeals to the people who don't want to learn coding but to the people who want to manually type it. When I got onto this site I was already screaming where tf is HTML/CSS style. I learned this BBCode which is simpler and really limited, pissing me off slightly less. So much limitation to placement and etc that in my private workshop I have made the most funkiest designs ever. Even posting and previewing SOMEHOW moves my code without my permission because of my tinkering of trying to find away to go around limitations. Jfc PLEASE ADMINS ADD THE HTML someday in the future so I don't have to glare at the new editor and sometimes the current one. If I can reduplicate the crap I've done with the new editor then kudos to you guys. If I'm trying to figure out how tf I am supposed to shove a specific thing in this other thing I'll be like "WHYYYY."

In short, new editor is fine if I am able to remake the stuff I've done with coding. But if you guys are able to find a way to also add a manual editor in the future that would be perfect. From coding, I understand that sometimes there are things an editor can't do and limit simple parts that can be done with only a line of code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back